Advise on Baby & Maid Exps

Hi all

Thanks for the advice ...will choose again carefully cos cant afford to make mistake. My current maid working for 3 months only but she cannot make it. she is from indonesia. she is so stupid!

tulip/ivana
i've learnt that choosing/selecting maid is aka buying toto or 4D... buy so many times so hard to strike a good or even at least okay one..

i've also learnt that transferred maids might not be a bad bad idea coz at least u have the chance to see them face to face and talk to them in real life, at least u know their english level.. whether u like the face etc.. how fast they response..

i've also learnt that perhaps it's good to go to agencies that allows webcams interviews or video clips of the interview process.. so that we would have a better idea of how these candidates looks like (photos soo different frm video n life)... and how they response to questions..

in the process, i had forsake 1.5mths (ard $550) of a maid's salary, bought her a flying ticket back home (ard $120-150), incurred new maid agency fees (another $450), new insurance money ($246)..all these done when i am 7-9mths preggie.. but i just got to let them know that i can jolly well do without them if they think life in sg is easy life... i will not be in their mercy lor.. my backup plan is always infant care n a flying ticket for them

just wanna vent my anger alil oso....

last nite upon coming home frm work, observed my 2wks+ old transferred maid, looking blur, making mistakes.. i guessed it's because she had a late nite the previous day - ard 11pm to 12am... wow lao... i flared up oredi.. i am oso having late nites k? by the time she cleared the laundry, bath n sleep, i am still stuck with my toddler playing in my room instead of sleeping..and this whole wk, because hb working late, with no-one to entertain the toddler while i bath, i can onli bath when he falls asleep which is like 11pm+... and in the end me going off to sleep only at 12am - 1am pls ... if she is tired just because of just one late night, i am even more tired than her.. i still have to bath my boy when we reached home and i am 35 wks preggie now..

told her off sternly that everyone in sg has late nites..not like in philiphines, sleeping at 8pm, if she cannot adapt, she may jolly well go home.

smurfy
why did you not use the same agent? their fees should include exchanging maids right? i sympathise with you. it's really not ez getting a good maid. i know of maids who are really dedicated. i just wonder how come i'm not so lucky to get those.

patsy
did you specify to your agent that you wanted one with midwife background? for baby care experience? just wondering.

Val, yep, specified midwife because I was then preggy after loosing Sabie. Turned out I lost the baby too but decided to keep her anyway.

From experience, I will only take grads, but NOT those who graduated from commerce/accounting/IT/business degrees. Teachers/care giver/midwife ok. I will also NOT take those who have worked in a department store/office because they will not be used to hard work and tend to be choosy and not adapt to staying home life. I'm lucky though because after looking through the biodata's in the agents here, I am able to get my sis and mum to interview them in person becuase they are based in Manila.

That said, it really depends on the personality of the maid, and if her personality matches yours. Also important to manage expectations, on both sides. I've never worked with schedules, but when she joined, I gave her a verbal list of things I expect to be done and the frequency. I leave it to her to make her own schedule. So far so good... It also gives her a feeling of responsibility rather than obligation. I treat her like an adult employee, she gets time off, she gets to sms home, gets her pay, etc But to each their own I guess, I don't know if my style will work for everyone.

patsy
long time no see u in this thread.. hope everything's going well for u now.. any good news frm ur side?

yah, personality match as well as timing is impt lor...

valc
the old agent is taking their own sweet time.. not serious about transferring her out, just delay our time so that we will keep her longer.. so i just got to move onz.. i am glad i did lor...otherwise i might even be stuck with the old toopid maid now.. which i think is a worse idea...

i am strict with this transferred maid.. and i want to drill into her mind that though i need her, i can jolly well go without her as well.. and i think somehow she knows coz i had sent one a flying ticket (i told her i dun care and dun no how she is going to settle her 3.5mths loan back to the agent in philiphines) and currently able to manage all childcare of my toddler in my current condition.. 35wks preggie.we just got to let them know we mean biz lor.

Patsy,
No offence, no unfriendless or hard feelings, ha...just feel kind of funni as u asked the mummies to make up their minds lor..

I agreed with the rest that getting a good maid is like striking lottery. Only when the maid starts working for you then you will know what type or kind of people they can be.

Hi Smurfy,

wow i'm impressed you're very strict with your maid and even dared to send her back in your condition.

I feel like i'm in the mercy of my maid, she's asking me for a pay rise or extra off day, just after 6 mths of working for me!!! But I feel like I can't say no cos I have a toddler and a baby and I can't look after them myself! She's not too bad as a maid, just got a bit of attitude problem once in a while as she thinks she's so experienced (she work in sing for 3 yrs already).

Smurfy and all

I have done phone interviews, webcam interviews (both Filo amnd Indon) and even to the extent of flying to Jakarta to an agent's office there, to personally 'handpick' a FDW. No use. Not one was able to finish the contract.

Lady luck is the only helping force. Now I have learnt to "overlook" many things I did not let go before. So to avoid a lot of heartaches for myself now, I only let the current FDW do the "kampong" work. That is, all the more physical dirty work I would rather not do myself. I keep her out of the kitchen except when she has to wash up after meals. Even then, got ot check pots and dishes before using. But othrewise more relaxed.

Interesting discussion and nice to see Patsy and KC back. I've had 9 filos. Some graduates (midwife, teacher, IT), some only junior high. My current one is only a high-school graduate and probably one of the lowest IQ maids I've had but she works the hardest ie. tries her best to get the job done.

What I have realised is that although "luck" plays a very important role, their NEED to work is also very important.

Those younger ones 21-30 tend to easily succumb to competition from other maids on their day off so they are always spending their money on clothes, bags and getting their hair rebonded etc. Even if they don't have a day off they will somehow manage to find other maids to talk to so I don't think giving your maid a day off makes too much difference to be honest. Anyway, they spend so much on their mobile bills and usually it is not to call home but to sms and gossip with other maids in SGP. Then they lose interest in the job really fast especially when they start to compare salary, work conditions, benefits etc. Worse still, if they talk to those other maids working for an angmoh family. Then their standard and attitude changes at home cos they are always thinking they should be working for an angmoh family where they can do less, talk more and get more money. Then at your place they start taking short cuts and don't follow the instructions/timetable anymore, give you black face, show no respect, talk back, ask for more $$$, take your stuff. (as soon as the attitude changes just get rid of them lah- no point feeling blackmailed by the maid, there's plenty more out there).

But not all maids are like that. Now I've got an older one. She's 42. She has a 21 year old disabled daughter back home (blind, mute) and 2 other kids that need school tuition. Her husband weaves hammocks for the military and sells them by the piece. They all rent a small room in the back streets of Manila. Her husband makes enough for food and rent but if she didn't work as a maid her kids have definitely got no future and would not be able to go to school. If the disabled one gets sick (which she often does), there is no money to see the doctor unless she saves money from her maid job in SGP.

So, this one (although with an IQ of a brick) is working for her family and she lives on only SGD 10 a month. The rest is remitted back. She is not perfect and she does drive me NUTS at times but I can see she genuinely tries her best to do her job well so I can overlook her mistakes, slowness and low IQ. She treats us like we are her own family and I can see she treats my daughter very well and will play with her even when she is tired.

You don't need to be a brain surgeon to be good at housework so I believe any maid can be taught. For me, the most important factor is a good attitude to work coupled with a NEED to work.

None of my previous maids needed to take care of my daughter or cook and even though the job is easy most still cannot make it - not because the job is too hard or there's too much to do but because they didn't have the right attitude! I would say 9/10 maids do not have the right attitude.

So my tip to choosing a good maid for your family is to ask questions regarding "attitude" rather than "skills". As I said, even a low IQ maid like mine will eventually be able to do the job right because it's not "difficult". It's her attitude that counts.

The agent is also REALLY important. You really got to stay away from those Ah Lian/Ah Beng agencies that are only interested in placement regardless of the right "match". Sad to say, most agencies are CRAP. I finally found a great agent who listens to what I need, assesses my family's personality and does her best to match us with the right maid. I've never even been to her office, she comes to my house and she brings the maids to ME, not me going over and looking through a stack of bio-data full of LIES. Furthermore, this agent gives proper counseling to maid to get her to improve and is always available to answer my calls or come to my house for a discussion.

If your agent is not doing this for you, your chances of getting the right "fit" as Patsy said, is very low.

Liana
Well said. My current FDW is also gotten from an agent who works in the same manner as yours. Wonder if we are using the same agent. Her fees are relatively higher than most, but I am ok with that.

My current maid is Filipino Grad (in agriculture) In her biodata (which I found out was a totally fake one cooked up by the maid agent, signature forged), she comes from a family of farmers. I thought, pretty safe. But I was wrong. She came from a family of RICH farmers, own BIG rice plantation, hire MANY workers to work for them. In the biodata (fake) she mentioned, "life is really very difficult here. Pls choose me, Ma'am, I promise to be obedient and work very hard." So misleading. In actual fact, she led a missy life in a well-to-do family. She told me, she wants to come to sg because she wants to "see the world".

She is intelligent alright, has good memory, not the stupid until want to make u vomit blood kind. She speaks good English, compared to all my previous maids, dun have the Filipino accent. Can read to my girl. But she's also arrogant, very missy, lazy, slack, and dodge whenever she has the opportunity to.

She can hide in her room to iron that FEW pcs of clothes for HOURS, ironing while sitting on her bed, with the fan and radio on. How lazy can she be? The only time I ironed clothes while sitting on the bed was when I was pregnant.

She can hide in her toilet to wash 2 pcs of rags for very very long too. Her philosophy is, not seen, not heard, dun need to do work.

When I ask her to carry my baby, she will sit down. But my baby doesn't like ppl to sit down while carrying him. She still sit down and try to pacify him. I told her to put him in a stroller and walk him outside the house. And guess wat? She brought him out, but din walk. Stood stationary on a spot. Most of the times, she also tries to make him sleep, so she doesn't need to entertain him already.

Rain, dun want to keep laundry. I dun think she has no brains. It is a matter of attitude, whether she wants or dun want to do only. When questioned, she tells u that she couldn't keep cos she's alone.

Once, my daughter asked me if can go to the playground,, and when I said no, I saw the disappointed look not on my daughter's face, but on the maid's face. I guess she wants to go out to make friends.

She's also the only maid who dares to switch on the TV on her own and change channels. Those of u who have starhub will know that we need 2 remote controls. And I dun even need to teach her, she knows how to do that. Smart rite? She made it seem like it is for my daughter to watch. But I see her enjoying the cartoon more than my daughter. She likes to watch Pocoyo and Word World.

She cannot 'hear' the alarm clock and I have to wake her up so many times. And I just did. She also took nap in her first month with me. All of her nonsense, in less than 2 months. I've not had her for a full 2 months yet.

I do not harbour high hopes that she can finish her 2-year contract with me and I guess I've had quite enough of all these FDWs. If she does manage to finish her contract, guess, the next I am going to do is to hire a local part-time helper.

Now a day even the INDO maid also very jin, i will never like the experience maid in the first place, i found they very calculative n jin, they know how to manipulate with the work, some more they need alot of rest, my maid very good example, she every afternoon sure sleep from 1pm to 3pm, 3 to 4pm take teabreak then 4pm came out n do cooking, after 8:30pm sure go n sleep until 6am, this morning 7am came out of the bed, treat here like hotel n come for holiday, she is only 1mth here, i cannot stand her, but the problem is she is very good to my FIL, so my FIL likes her very much, everyday buy her food, breakfast she said she dont like bread, FIL go n buys goreng bisan, fried noodles, pau, kuah kuah for her, n everyday change varities, dinner also she likes those "Red fish" which is very expensive, FIL go n buys for her to eat, one fish cost abt $10, so she thinks she is very big in this house, i cant stand her liao... but i cant do anything
talking abt TV she can stand infront of me and watches the TV ignore me, juz pretend FIL is watching, she take her food juz sit beside my FIL eat n talk like couple.
She even take her tea break with my FIL, drink her coffee n eat her biscuit or tip big, she dont eat pork(but she is christian), she will cook herself fried chicken everyday. Housework she do the minimum n tell me that she is coming here only take care of the old man not do the housework for me... she drives me bad now, I complained to all the SIL n BIL, they said as long as old man is happy no one can do anything.
I always say "shen ren yao shen ming", she is born to be very lucky here, i need to tolerate her for 2year juz imagine

Hi,

Been out of touch for a while. My Indo maid wants to renew her contract. May I know what is current going rate for fresh and experience maid? Also what is the going increment rate? Thks.

My new Indon maid with 2 yrs in Dubai is being paid $350. Apparently, non-experienced Indons are commanding $330 to $340. No day off. I don't know about increments.

However, a very big agency in Lucky Plaza (also has other branches) that supplies only Filos offers only $320 for a brand new Filo maid. No day off .

<font color="ff0066"> Wakodo Milk</font>
Hi Mommies, can I check for this milk, do you give 1 level spoon or 1 heap spoon? Should be level like?

Thanks Ivana. Waiting to hear from other mums. Mine asked how much I will increase if she were to renew with me. I recalled most people add $20 but that was two years back. Don't know if this is still market rate.

very angry now, the stupid maid told all the SIL that she is overloaded, she said too much of the work she has no time to take care of my FIL, if the mummies follow my thread u will know her daily time table, she is stiring our relationship now, very sly rite? i should said she needs more time to rest, whole day in the room still complain, sitting down there still not enough still want to complain, i feel like told all the SIL that bring the maid n FIL to their place, but this idea my hub dont agree, so what is the solution now? any suggestion?

Hi Liana,

Well said. I also fully agreed with you ~ ATTITUDE and NEED to WORK is very important! Houshold tasks if they keep doing on the same daily basis for 2-3 months, plus with right attitude and earnest to work...they will get by.

10-15 years ago, I think those maids are very hardworking and no attitude problem...haiz nowsdays totally different.

hi,
anyone had a timetable for maid to follow? can share?
i m getting a trnfx indo maid.
crossing my fingers...

anyone can share their maid timetable?

thks!

To ALL,

Another forum quoted this. This is MOST DISGUSTING.

I don't know how we can safeguard ourselves except to ban the FDW from touching all our food.

"July 17, 2009
News in HK: Menstrual meal maid walks free as case dropped
From The Standard:
"Prosecutors have dropped their case against an Indonesian maid accused of using her menstrual blood in cooking dishes for her employer.
Indra Ningsih, 26, admitted to police mixing the blood in a pot of vegetables she was cooking, and was subsequently charged with "administering poison or other destructive or noxious substances with intent to injure."

However, prosecutors decided the charge could not be sustained, after the government laboratory and doctors said menstrual blood is not toxic, although it may carry a virus..."
Gee, this is downright outrageous, and flipping disgusting, more so if you buy in the proverb "you are what you eat". No emulsion of menstrual blood on my plate, please. "

wow,

at least i found a thread here to vent my frustration, unless the needle pokes in your own flesh else you never understand the pain.

Talked to some friends or mummies who got "good" maids and it always seems to be MINE "faults" (as I have 4 maids changed already) most advises us to try to treat the maid well, give them some slack lah, dun be so demanding lah, give and take lah, they are humans too lah. Be patient lah, they will be homesick lah, also very poor thing lah etc.....

Like as if I am ill-treating my maids! who dunno all these STUFF, wait till they get maids who are lazy, dishonest, bad attitude, irresponsible, selfish, cheat and steal lor

I believe most sg employers know how to treat maids as human and properly, but got to realise that some maids just dunno how to "behave" simple rules and regulations, basic human rules too. They take salary so they got to work! I go to the office and I have to work and not just sit there, laze around and correct salary at month end, if the maid dun work, then it will be my job, then why do i need the maid for.

every organisation have their culture similarly every household has their habits too, some are more particular about housework, some on childcare, some on elderly care, too bad if the maid does not like that particular role, then she can jolly well "get off" BUT dun try to be funny, that's my point.

Becos of attitude problems, I have getting fresh maids and i can tell you none of the 4 fresh maids can assured me trouble free for at least 1, 2 mths. Most after 1,2 weeks started to show their "true colors" wake up late, lazy, give excuses, stubborn, keeps doing the same stupid mistakes....

my current maid of 2 mths is brain damaged, cannot even wash a milk bottle well after 2 months of intensive training, cannot take simple instructions eg... do not sterilise the water bottle becos I paste stickers on it, has being supervising her on that for 3 whole weeks, one day just stop checking and she sterilised it, when asked her, she told my hubby, it was me that told her to sterilise it, full of crabs!, lying thru her teeth!

instead of taking the clean floor mat to change the dirty one and wash up the dirty one, she washed the clean one w/o realising until i askes her!

Liana, could you PM me the contact of your agent? I'm looking for a maid who in addition to housework, can help me look after my infant while I tend to my toddler.

hi mummies,

Need some advice. Current maid just said that she has a toothache. She pointed to the back of her teeth. So I think it might be the wisdom tooth. How ah? What should I do? Shd I bring her for dental check up? And I have to pay the fees? (though I think this maid will volunteer to pay on her own). Would appreciate any advice....thanks!
happy.gif

I haven't been able to find a suitable new maid yet, so currently still holding on to this one lorh....but likely will be sending her back to the Phil once I find a suitable new maid.

my hb very funny...he said, this maid come to SG then become wise...coz wisdom tooth come out. hahaha

<font color="ff0066"> CSI_Fan</font>
Actually by law... we are liable for all the maid's medical expenses (including dental care). But I know of employers who will discuss about such "Misc" Medical expenses with the FDW. Most times it's 50/50 payment. Else they also scared the maid anyhow take advantage mah.

Wah.... if really is wisdom tooth, then it's not cheap to extract lor. How about giving her some panadol (as painkiller) first then monitor the situation for another couple of days. Plus since you going to send her back... see if it's worth your while to fork out this medical expense.

However, if the pain is really bad and your FDW keeps complaining, then maybe boh pianz loh. Gotta bring her for check-up no matter what.

<font color="ff0066"> Happy</font>
I find that those FDW that some to SG nowadays are not really here on "hardship" grounds - meaning they gotta work to earn $$$ and send back. Most come here as a form of holiday. They feel since they are getting minimum wage, then they might as well do only minimum work.

Terrible attitude. They see it as they are doing us a favor. Cos by them being around, then the Mam and Sir can both go out work. So they feel that they "earned" the place to abuse our trust. Makan our things when no one watching, sitting down reading papers and wathcing TV even whehn their chores are not complete. Worse still... they tink they are so indispensable that they start to answer back.

No matter how I treat my maids - from being super nice employer to having a Boss/Subordinate approach, I find that nothing much helps nowadays. The maids are way too smart. They know our govt sides them so much that the law even protects them. If they run out screaming that we abuse them or the sir rape them, we are the ones being investigated. They get to be "held" in those hostel whilst investigations are ongoing... the worse part... they are free to jalan-jalan and do nonsense during the investigation. Their life is not impacted at all. It's a win-win situation for them and a thoroughly lose-lose situation for us the employers. From the outset of the investigations, we are deemed to be the guilty party... finding ways to prove our innocence.

At the end of the day... the maids now have the upper hand unlike b4. So of cos they start to act yah-yah papaya. After 5 maids.... they all start to show patterns after some time.

So I juz follow the advise on Lani's blog - once I not happy with the maid, I'll change. It's a costly exercise... but what choice do I hv as an employer? I'm stucked anyway you see it.

Dymples,
thanks...yeah, I guess so. She told me the pain is on and off...and it's been like that for 1 mth liaoz. Aiyoh, if she had told me abt it earlier, could have done something earlier lorh. She asked for medicine to treat the tooth. hahaha...so cute.

CSl_fan, if you intend to send her back then just give her medication like pandol to relieve the pain. No point spending a few hundreds on her to remove the widsom tooth.

just want to know, do u allow your maid to drink more than 1 cup of the coffee everyday? And also do u allow her to have tea break(9am, 3pm)?

<font color="Ff0066"> Sandra</font>
I give my maid those 3-in-1 packet coffee to drink. Each month, she gets 1 big packet with the sachets inside. She can drink whatever she wants per day. But once the packet is finished, she will need to wait till the following month. This will teach her to be thrifty with the coffee. Else most of the maids without supervision will become gluttons.

<font color="ff0066"> mamG</font>
So far when finding a maid, I will list a few criteria I hv in mind.
1) What country I prefer the maid to come from
2) Age group? I dun like those old aunties (more then 35-yrs) cos they too 'lao-jiao', so pattern lots lots.
3) Experience versus fresh maid? Currently I'm more partial to those fresh maid cos those experienced one make sure you can handle their pattern.
4) I also will never choose those pretty type cos 10/10 times, they all turn out to be 'hiao-hiao'.
5) When I interview the maid, I paint a super strict and firm picture for her... that the work load is heavy... I dun stand any nonsense, etc. I will say things like: "If you're here for holiday or looking for easy job, then you're not the maid for us. If you tink of transferring after comparing salary and benefits with other maids, then you're not the maid for us. I'm very strict and have rules &amp; regulations in my household. Everything needs to be done like clockwork. If I need to constantly remind you or wake you up to do your job, then you're not the maid for us. The important thing is trust. THe minute I catch you stealing/lying/doing CCA outside, I will immediately repatriate you back. No way will I trfs you."

Most maids after this type of grilling will think twice lor. But some of those super desperate will everything say 'yes-yes', then later come already full of pattern.

yes, indeed most maids are here for holidays.

My current maid has a two years contract with no off days till next march, lately so daring asked me can she have off days...I told her sure, after end oct...She can have her off days back home as long as she wants...

I asked her want off for what, she told me she has not seen singapore....

Hi,

I am considering getting a maid before i go back to work in Sept, but not very sure on what to do with her daily schedule. My mum does not like the idea of having a maid in the house even when she needs to take care of my 2 children.

The agency had recommended me a Indian maid who look like a chinese and can speak good chinese and fair amount of english. Her hometown is at the border of india and tibet, but the agency fee is very expensive, $1K..... any advise??

Please help as i am terrific by all your experience on maidsssss........

Dymples
Your allow her to drink whatever she wants? Is it means that she can drink other berverage besides her 3-in-1 packet coffee? My maid i told her only can drink her coffee but she still drinking my MIlo, Oats etc.... which you cant evident, only i found that the berberage now aday finish very fast. So what can i do? Is that too much to retrict her?? no right, early morning she drank oats, eat banana n biscuits. 8:45am she still can drink coffee, eat bread again, how to stop her to do that?

Hi ladies

Glad to see so many experienced employers here!

I have one kid with a 2nd on the way. And all these while I have resisted employing a maid, opting only for a part-time domestic helper to come in once a week.

But now I will be moving to a new house soon and I definitely will not be able to cope with the housework there.

I've called up two agencies so far to find out more. I'm quite a novice at this so would appreciate your advise.

1) Is it true that I can only refer to biodatas and videos (if any) when I want to hire new maids? I understand that I can do phone interviews with Filipino maids but not for Indonesian maids because of the language barrier.

2) Are phone interviews sufficient? I really can't imagine sussing out a person's character just over the phone. Especially for someone whom I'm going to let into our private lives.

3) The other option is to do face-to-face interviews with Transfer maids. But I'm also not very sure how that'll work out. I mean, apart from being rejected by previous employers, are there other valid reasons why they are being transferred... and will maid agencies tell us the truth?

4) Off days. How many off days do your maids get a month? I am actually inclined to give the maid once a week off (esp for church activities, etc), but based on feedback from my husband whose family used to have a maid and from friends, off days is usually once a month. I've been told that it's also recommended by the agencies.

5) Work hours. How many hours do your maids typically work a day? Are there set hours? Do you give a timetable?

6) Do any of your maids help to take care of your pets? I will need help primarily with housework and my dogs. My kids will be secondary as I work from home most of the time and I should be able to take care of them. If I do need to go out, my parents or in-laws will help to keep watch while she mainly assists.

I have so many questions, but I guess I shall take things one step at a time. Thanks!

I need advise...

My maid recently told me that she dun wan to wk anymore as mil is scolding her everyday. Mil are so hard to be pleased every maid i get also no good scold them till they dun wan to wk!!! From wad i see maids are all the same is either they are fast worker but not very clean or those really put in effort to do but slower. This is so far my best maid can do hse wk and take care my 17months boy well. so I told her i will increase her pay so she decided to stay. Afterll they come all the way here to work just to earn $$$. Her current pay is $400 w/o off day so i am not sure how much more i can give her, intend to give her $30. Not sure if it is too much! And i will be deliverying #2 in oct intend to let maid take care new born at nite.

Hi Jacelyn

I don't know abt market rates at all since I've never hired a maid... but I think a dollar a day extra to endure your MIL's scolding should be ok?

But are you or hubby intending to speak to your MIL about her attitude towards the maid? It makes it very hard for you when you're stuck in the middle. But i think it might be important especially since you plan to let her take care of your infant. I've been advised to be more tolerant afterall our kids are under their care.

For me, if I got scolded every day by my boss, I would want out too. Every human being has some pride and feelings as well so it's hard to bear with unpleasantaries every day.

Hi matka,

I also feel tat one day $1 is not much. Anyway i can see that she really take good care of my boy. i always tell her to ignore wad my mil say. Even my HB also cannot stand mil attitude.

dear all

i really can't stand my maid sometimes... she is ok, got 70-80%. her cousin(or whoever) is now working in SG, somemore near my place and they are planning to go out every mth(i dun have a problem with that).

now i notice she like want to talk to the maids around the estate, plus they also want to talk to her. i just pointed out to her 2 lizard poo stains (noticed for mths) and she can comment why house got so many lizards. wah, i feel like telling her if she cleans properly then would have stains. also point out to her about dirty fan cover, think she also not happy. really feel like asking her if she prefer me to clean instead.

i dun know if i being too emotional cos toilet training son plus he now terrible 2. i also stress over money... ... cos i part time and somemore got medical problems... ... life so stressful in singapore

next yr my son go childcare, think hb not keen to keep maid. i long for maid free days... sorry, just letting off steam.

<font color="ff0066"> Sandra</font>
Actually I refer to she can drink however many sachets of the 3-in-1 coffee. But I will only buy 1 big packet (inside contain about 30 sachets bah) for her a month. But other then that, I usually dun restrict my maid to drinking her coffee only. She can also drink my milo and those 3-in-1 Chrysanthanum tea that I buy for my family.

I find that those greedy ones will initially drink alot. Then I will keep commenting that they putting on weight liaoz. Gradually, most of my maids once they get fat, they will ownself cut down on the drinks loh. I guess it's a psychological thing. The more something is banned, the more they want the forbidden fruit. But if we allow them to consume freely, after sometime... the thing is not a novelty anymore, they will consume less.

Then again, I dun buy those expensive coffee or drinks. But if my maid drinks so much milo till I gotta replenish more then 2-big tins a month, then I will surely say her lor. Some of these maids dun know their limits! This type of maid, then the employer will have to be more strict liaoz.

<font color="ff0066"> Hi Matka</font>

Some answer to your queries:

1) Is it true that I can only refer to biodatas and videos (if any) when I want to hire new maids? I understand that I can do phone interviews with Filipino maids but not for Indonesian maids because of the language barrier.
<font color="ff0066"> The maid agencies that I go to dun have such restrictions. Usually I will do a webcam interview so that I am able to see the maid personally. Usually the photographs are quite deceiving.</font>

2) Are phone interviews sufficient? I really can't imagine sussing out a person's character just over the phone. Especially for someone whom I'm going to let into our private lives.
<font color="ff0066"> I dun like phone interviews cos there's nothing to guarantee that the person answering the phone is the maid. The agencies can always get a staff member to pose as the maid.</font>

3) The other option is to do face-to-face interviews with Transfer maids. But I'm also not very sure how that'll work out. I mean, apart from being rejected by previous employers, are there other valid reasons why they are being transferred... and will maid agencies tell us the truth?
<font color="ff0066"> Transfer maids are sitting at the agency for various reasons. The most common as you pointed out are those rejected by employers. I'm not keen on such maids cos I feel the employer would have rejected them for some valid reasons. I dun believe stories like employer abuse them, ah-ma dun like them, children dun like them... blah blah. Usually such stories are all lies spun so that the agencies are able to off load the troublesome maids and get their $$$ from the loans back.

The transfer maids that I go for are those who have completed 1-contract (i.e. 2-yrs service with 1 employer), then wanting to transfer. This type I dun mind to take the chance cos if she can work for the same employer for 2-yrs, it says something. Then again, make sure that the maid agency will print out the maid's previous work history (obtainable from MOM website) for verification. I juz hired an Indon transfer maid today. Have worked in SG for 5-yrs already and completed 2 full contracts and another 1-yr with previous employer.</font>

4) Off days. How many off days do your maids get a month? I am actually inclined to give the maid once a week off (esp for church activities, etc), but based on feedback from my husband whose family used to have a maid and from friends, off days is usually once a month. I've been told that it's also recommended by the agencies.
<font color="ff0066"> for fresh maid, no experience in SG, I won't give off days for the 1st year. Reason being is that the maid learns to be 'naughty' from other maids. But for experienced maids, I will only give 1-off day per month. No more then this cos if they off to many sundays, they will start to have lots of ECA outside the home.</font>

5) Work hours. How many hours do your maids typically work a day? Are there set hours? Do you give a timetable?
<font color="ff0066"> my maid starts her day at 0630hrs and goes to bed latest by 2230hrs. There is a daily timetable, and other timetable which has chores that needs to be done alternate days, weekly, bi-weekly and monthly. It's always good to have this printed and stuck somewhere in the kitchen so the maid can refer to it. I also have a set of hosue rules and regulations that she needs to abide with.</font>

6) Do any of your maids help to take care of your pets? I will need help primarily with housework and my dogs. My kids will be secondary as I work from home most of the time and I should be able to take care of them. If I do need to go out, my parents or in-laws will help to keep watch while she mainly assists.
<font color="ff0066"> Yes, all my maids are entrusted to take care of my dog. She will walk the dog, feed the dog and bathe the dog when I'm not able to. Even my Indon maids have no issues with this task.</font>

Good luck with your search for a maid.

Oh yes... dun go for those maid agency where you need to pay the maid's loan upfront yah. Cos once you pay everything upfront, you can kiss your money goodbye. Even if they say will refund, you better tink twice lor. I always pay the laon via post dated cheques. Cheers...

Back