Advise on Baby & Maid Exps

Sigh... who was the one who received letter from MOM? I also received the letter from MOM the 2nd time. But heck care lah!!!

My current new maid seems alot more decent than the last one. Hopefully she can make it with me to finish 2 yrs.

Ribena, not crislo.. SLF green.. really no comment.. now i urgently looking for maid.. its my problems, agent can tell me to take a transfer(3rd employer..march08 work 2 mths,4th employer work 2weeks and 5th employer work 1week..stil recommend to me,telling the employer's fault) or i hav to wait lor..

Jchew, it me, I received letter from MOM
sad.gif

Jo

Do you know of any reliable agent that will really help you to screen through the maid directly from the country itself?For me, I did and its really based on a friendship basics...

Maybe any mummy here has good friend who is running an agency can help Jo with this.....

Thanks Chole.. its true, cant rely on agent.. their goal to make money..

I have used CM Manpower, Crislo, Global Recruitment(previously..CM Manpower), now SLF Green..

Jo

Agent job is really to make money. For my this gf, same goal for her. Last year, I got her to choose maid, but was too busy and asked me to choose myself and I ended up lots of problem.In the end, when she and her hubby went indo, they shortlist a few for me, and I pick one, so far, this second maids from her still decent enough....

A helpful and reliable agent whom you know personally is really impt. THese days, biodata are incurrage....

wow.... guess maids nowadays got better deal than we s'porean workers... can't be ticked off & so easily got new employers... I haven't really give her a proper scolding, she already said she wants out.. think if she got a piece of my "Mrs Hyde" mind... she run away & fly back to Phili on own expense...

my hb also told me not to be so bo-chap & too lenient with the maid after all how nice you treat them they'll sure to bite the hand that feed them.. but it's my nature... If I to put on an act of strictness even in my own home how long can I act.. I'll be so miserable..

My easily "ke-lian-ness" nature towards fellow human being always get exploited...

Jo,

tink i mentioned some time bak tat if u really nid help in getting reliable agent, i recommend my agent to u? coz tis agent is like a fren to me.. n she really help me handle sending my prev maid bak to getting a new maid for me.. if u wan i will pm u her contact..

Celtricia, thks..can PM me. Incase I need her help too. I'm look for replacement everywhere again, if my current agent can help me or no suitable maid for me.

Any one used APAC? All their maid want every sunday off.. but the maid are very experienced.

Haiz, my agent told me, you want maid that can work(smart), you can't expect to have good attitude, have to give and take.. can work but you see her black face is ok,anyway you make use of them to work for you..??? What is this??? how to accept??? So long the maid can work, we hav to tolerate...

Any mummies give indo maid 4sundays/every sun off?

Jo,

My current new Myanmmar maid is working fine with me. I saw her biodata/photo via a agent website. Interview her over the phone and now she is here. She can even teach math to my nephew. My SIL got a tutor for her son, but after 3 hrs of teaching she went home and sms back that she cannot continue anymore after the first lesson. My mum actually gave the assignment book to my maid and she is able to read the book instruction and teach my nephew. I hope she is really a gems...

For agent, we really cannot depends on them, becos at the end of the day, you will be the one going to work with the girl and not the agent. The agent just took $$ from you and the girl and moved on ...So forget about agent, just focus on the maid.

So, when you travelling? Must be fast if you want to get a replacement. And please do not get two maids to work together when you not around. Not sure what the old maid will tell the new one?

hi there

i have to conduct an interview with a philipino maid on the phone...any advice wat kind of questions i have to ask?? I am due in Sept and I nid the maid to perform household chores and help me look after my NB..

sunrays,
I will advise u to ask open ended questions. No point asking for yes or no answers bcos they will definitely say yes to everything but in actual do the exact opposite.

1. Ask her when baby cry what will she do if she is a) cooking b) in the toilet c) sweeping the floor

2. When she is ironing or mopping, what does she need to look out for?

3. ASk her how what kind of water she will use to make milk for baby.

4. If she needs to shower. When will she do it and what will she do. (To ensure someone is taking care of baby when she is not around.)

5. If baby cries, how will she pacify the baby?

6. If baby knock his/her head or fell from cot, what will she do?

I know the maid may not be taking care of baby. But the maid needs to understand basic concepts and urgency of certain things. It will also hit on her that it may not be a easy task n better to voice that she doesn't wan to do it now than to do it on u later...

I have a fren whose maid will purposely pinch the baby when the baby is sound asleep. So that the grandmother needs to carry n care for the baby n the maid can escape doing chores since no one is free to tell her what to do.

sunrays,
will there be anyone to supervise the maid with the baby? Frankly i have no confidence in maids handling newborns. I had two maids before, both were mothers. First one is mother of a 7yo. 2nd is mother of 3 girls (!!) BUT both cannot do baby care well enough. They will shake the baby and play very loudly with the baby and over-stimulate them. They are not aware of how to prepare EBM feeds, dunno how to make baby rice cereal (when my boy was weaning), dunno how to bathe baby.

For you to interview the maid, as B2B3M4 has mentioned, ask a whole wide range of open-ended, situational questions. You have been given some examples. Here are some more which you can ask as well.

1. When the baby cries, how to you check what the baby wants?
2. What do you think should be packed into the baby's diaper bag when the baby is due for an outing (eg visit to doctor)?
3. After the baby is fed, what do you do?
4. You see an untidy corner in the study room, a huge stack of papers. What would you do? (ideally the answer to this question should be "i'll check with my employer if he/she needs me to tidy up" -- this is to check if they understand and know how to respect our privacy)
5. You are cleaning the master bedroom. The cellphone of Sir rings. What would you do? (again check for respect of privacy. Ans: "I will inform Sir" Instead of "I will take the phone to Sir")

I hope some of these questions help you. And good luck with the maid selection. It's a huge gamble and it's not easy to get a good one.

Pissed Pissed Pissed.....

My maid raised her voice at me. She apologised later but I am buay song.....

My boy kept pressing the DVD player's button and now it is spoil. My mum told me my boy kept pressing it when she is cooking and the maid was in the baby room dunno doing wat....

I asked the maid how come let my boy press and now spoil. She answered me (in a slightly raised voice), I didn't let him press. I dunno he press if I am washing at the kitchen since he run around. If I am around, I won't let him press.

Well, she can explain nicely to me instead of raising her voice right?

Also she broken of the the cup I brought from LA at movie world. She told me the handle broke itself when she was washing the cup halfway.

1464325.jpg
1464326.jpg

Looking at the picture of the broken cup, u think the handle broke off itself???

I guess it must have slipped from her hand when she washed and the cup knock onto something and caused the handle to broke. The breakage at the lower handle is very deep. U think a cup breaks so easily????

Full of nonsense and lies.....

I won't be so angry if she told me the cup accidentally slipped from her hand while washing and broke it.

And these 2 incidents happens on the same day.

Ribena, thanks.. I tot only the 2% different for 2mths..which is not much..and both have insurance..

Cutie, ur current maid is the one from crislo, haven't change yet.. think when we suspect the maid, means no more trust..and very hard to keep her any more.. I dont like when something happen to the children, and ask the maid why, they can answer/reply not their fault.. tot they are hire to do child care, its their responsible..

Sunrays,

When you interview the maid, it is important that you take notes on the following:

1)The tone of the maid when she speaks
2)Access her attitude when she answer questions. Sometimes there is not PERFECT answer, the important thing is to analyse how the person response to your question. Meaning does she pause/think to answer your question? Or she answer you quickly? (maybe your question is a standard one, so the experience maid can answer on their finger tips) But, you can ask some simple question just to warm up the coversation.
3)Are they sincere? (again from the tone you can tell)
4)Do they understand your question? Check whether she ask you to repeat your question when she cannot understand what you are asking. This show that she is listening and is very keen to give you a RIGHT (not GOOD, we are not expecting a sales presentation) answer then to just answer to your question. So, you can purposely asked a long question to test it.
5)Importantly, you must tell her your requirementssss over the phone and asked her whether she is able to manage your requirements. (again this point you should access their tone of answering)
6)Please check whether she greet you over phone for basic manner and whether she also says thanks when you finishes the interview. (You should greet back as well, or maybe you should greet her first and see her response)

My current maid actually asked me to repeat myself when she cannot understand what I'm asking, and this was one of the key point why I hire her. Actually, my interview with her was not so smooth, the line quality was not good and so alot of time I was repeating my question (she asked me) and worst she can only speak v simple english, so dun expect a myanmmar/Indo to be expressive in their command of language.

Hopes everything turns out well for you. Good Luck!

RMS,
I treated my ex-maid very well too like u. same things as u mentioned about the benefits other than HP i didnt give to her. off days also at her discretion. as long as she said she wants to go off, i gave her. but still it doesnt pay to be kind.
on that faithful day that I just casually (not scolding and no shoutings) discussed with her her areas of improvement, the very same afternoon, she told me she wanted a transfer. I granted her her wish immediately without requesting her to stay or give her more money. Until the very last day before she left, she tried sounding out to stay and change her mind about leaving, but i pretended i dont understand her meaning and kept harping on the fact that she will definitely go. My place is not a supermarket. Happy come and go and change the mind faster than weather. I'm glad i'm hard hearted despite the fact that yes, i did think of keeping her when she hinted to stay.
so i suggest u to either send her off or if not really scold her and tell her to wake up her ideas and if the next time she did it again, don't compromise.

share a story on someone's maid.
heard from my sis that her colleague has a maid who was going back. baked a cake to prepare to bring all the way back to PH. but alas, forget to take along after lugging so many things.
At the airport, kept saying she wants to go back take the cake and the employer said nevermind i buy u another cake to bring back and she still kept wanting to go home for THAT cake. In the end she had to board the plane due to time.
Guess what? when reached home, the employers they all wanted to eat the cake themselves and sliced the cake to find all their jewellery inside!!
these days, i'm always hearing wacky stories of what maids can come up with.

liana,
i agree. as long as she does her work well. off days she does whatever she likes, i dont care. my maid used to dress skimpily on her off days, she's 30 plus already, still wear super mini short skirts with leggings.. maybe my sense of dressing is not so good but i really thought she looked funny in that dressing. as long as she's happy, wear bikini go out on off days I also dont mind
happy.gif

sunrays,
no point interviewing the maid asking her what she can do because she will all say YES but in the end cannot.
nellu and B2's questions are great. open ended and analytical thinking required. If she gives stupid or nonsensical answers for some important questions, u should give her a miss. but give and take, some childcare procedures can be taught later.

LV,

I think it is still good to interview the maid if possible. It can give us a hint wherether she is very very LOUSY or okie. It would be strange to only talk to her when she is ready to report to work in your home...And she might also feel anxious and strange to meet and talk to you on the first time.

So, I guess a ice-breaking phone interview is a must if you want to hire a new maid.

BTW, LV what time do you sleep? You posted yr message very late/early morning...Take care~

LV,
I read abt the incident u mentioned few years back. Someone share this story at a maidlibrary website.

Maids are very clever to "keep" stuff they have stolen. It will not be kept in their own drawer or cupboard. It is always kept in a place where we employers don't access to. Maybe one secret corner in the store room or in the rice container (if the maid is always the one cooking) or inside the kitchen cabinet which we hardly open.

Jo,
Yes she is the maid from crislo. Full of excuses and lies when she did something wrong. I won't be so angry if she admit her mistake.

Anyway I am planning to send my boy to half day cc in Aug. Once my boy settle down in CC. I will be looking for replacement and kick her back to indonesia. I have discussed with my hb and he agrees. Now is not the right time yet.

I remembered a mummy who got her maid at coronation plaza. Thought of getting her mum in indonesia to "test" my replacement maid for few mths. Dunno whether her mum will be available to do the "testing" for me or not.

Timing would be just nice if I start sourcing now, get her mum to help me to access the maid for 2 mths. By the time she finish her 2 mths assessment, it would be Aug already.

June 3, 2008
Husband and wife jailed for abusing maid
They are appealing against conviction.
By Selina Lum
AN aircraft engineer was sentenced to four weeks' jail while his homemaker wife was given six weeks for abusing their Indonesian maid.

The couple, who had denied the allegations but were found guilty after a seven-day trial, are appealing against their convictions.

They have each been granted bail of $10,000 pending their appeal hearing.

Lim Yi Khung, 42, who works for Singapore Airlines, was charged with kicking 25-year-old Ms Ida Lestari Ningsih, on both sides of her hips at the family Changi condominium on Feb 19 last year.

His Malaysian wife, Aileen Khaw Lay Hoon, 31, a former SIA flight attendant, faces three charges of abusing the maid on separate occasions between Feb 15 to Feb 27 last year.

She was accused of squeezing the maid's breast, hitting the maid's eye, grabbing the maid's hair and hitting her head on the floor.

The couple have three children, aged between eight months and five years around the time of the offences.

The maid started working for the couple in March 2006, while Khaw was expecting her third child, the court heard.

On Feb 27 last year, the maid ran away, with bruises on her forehead, and sought help from the condominium manager, who called the police.

The couple were charged and prosecutors accused them of assaulting the maid because they were displeased with her work.

In court, the maid testified that Lim kicked her after she had placed a pail, used for washing rags, in the kitchen sink, which was forbidden in the household.

The maid said Khaw grabbed her breast after scolding her for scratching her head while refilling an electric flask. The maid said Khaw fisted her right eye after complaining that she was falling asleep.

Khaw's final act of abuse, grabbing the maid's hair and knocking her head on the floor, came after the housewife scolded her for wringing out a wet handkerchief with one hand.

That was when the maid decided to run away, jumping out of the window of the first-floor apartment.

Both husband and wife fought the maid's accusation, insisting that the alleged assaults never took place.

The defence sought to portray Ms Ida as a scheming maid who made up the accounts of abuse so that she could run away and avoid paying $10 penalties for each mistake she made.

The couple were found guilty last month.

Liana,
with a story like that, really hard to tell who's right and who's wrong and who provoked who....

Anyway, Mummies, not sure if anyone of you can advise which calling card is the most value for money, particularly for calling PH? I think my maid would want to get one soon but I dunno which one is good.

TIA!

Nellu,
Yah...I find it hard to believe the employers would do that to be honest. If a maid is driving you to want to hit her might as well just change her right...

BUT...if a maid hit my child or pinched my child or anything like that, I would not hold back. I'll do my jail time.

How's the new maid coming along?

new maid is ok so far...it's been 3 weeks, 3 easy weeks for her. she doesn't really have much to do esp when my hubby is not in town, but at least my house is clean and tidy all the time now.

Ya, i would end up doing my jail term too if that happened to me. I dun think i have very good self control when things like that happen.

apple,
u misunderstood my meaning. i'm not suggesting not to interview the maid at all. Was saying can skip those biodata types of questions because everything they'll say yes. open-ended questions can judge them better.

liana,
the above case u posted, indirectly i know the guy. heard he's actually quite a nice person. dont seem the type to do that.

nellu,
good to hear! hope she works out for you...keep us updated ya ;)

LV,
Yeh, I was wondering how the court could prove the guy kicked the maid on both hips...plus they've got 3 kids...how to reign blows on the maid with kids around huh...

Liana, LV,
Regarding the article, the maid could be very angry with the couple for making her pay the penalty of $10 for each mistake. I wonder if any one besides the maid and the employer, actually saw what happened to her ? Anyway it is always easy for the judge to buy her side of the story, because people always sympathize with maids.

In any case, I think that we should never penalise a maid because this will not make her work better. I think that we should use rewards for good performance which has worked well for my maids.

nellu,
It is a big relief to get a maid who can do the work and not give any problem
happy.gif

What a case. Usually, when I realised that me and my hub lost patient with a maid, or started to picked on her and raise voice at her, I would start looking for a maid already. Cause my hub can be quite hot temper and I do not want anything to happen to the maid just because we are not happy with her performance.

So far, over my 13 maids, 3 manage to make me lost control. For me, if I do scold the maid, that is the limit already. It would means a gone case for the maid to work for me.

JChew,
I think the same way as you. If a maid is making me unhappy and angry, I will start to look for a new one. No point keeping her to make my life miserable.

Some employers probably don't want to spend the extra money to change maid. But it is better to spend the money than to risk losing control and end up like that employer in the article.

Tam,
happy.gif
the initial period (aka loan repayment period), the maids are always good. I really hope she'll keep it up and finish her contract. That's the minimum that I ask for.

JChew,
i also agree with you. I lost my patience with my previous 2 maids. I just send them off, except that my #2 was faster than fast and did some silly thing. I had to send her off before i could get a replacement.

Really cannot tahan/tolerate no common sense maid, wipe my baby's face with a used/old cloths(like old table cloth, washed still back kind)..and I asked if she will use it to wipe her on face..she keep quiet and return me a smile.. really vomit blood..

alamak jo! Did you tell the maid specifically which cloth to use to clean baby??

I think she's really quite 'duh', must give instructions to the T kind leh...

nellu
i thot otherwise.. usually they are at upper hand before loan is fully repaid cos if we not happy, we can only transfer her instead of repatriating her else we will have to forfeit the loan which we pre-paid for her .. but once her loan is fully repaid, we can send her back if she misbehaves and not recycle her to another innocent employer ..

well, maybe the best way is to make them pay agent in full up-front before she come over and we need not help her pre-pay her loan, just like the way it is done for other types of foreign workers, .. in this way, they will afraid to be repatriated back cos they would have borrowed money from her hometown people for her to come here to work .. perhaps MOM should consider this ..

Pinktweet,
MOM will tell you this loan business is none of their business..Dunno whose business it is really...

But if we look at the usual recruitment/head hunter agency, it seems the employer is the one who pays the main bulk of the fees. I used to work in a couple of these agencies when i was still a student. I get to learn a bit abt the way they charge their clients (the employers).

So maybe the maid agencies also work the same way?

hi...
i hv been reading this thread as a silent reader for the past couple of days....

Jo...
i think ur maid is reali the ultimate... i think u shld change her as soon as u can.

for myself, i oso hv a myanmar maid. she has been with us for slightly over one mth. i hv to admit that she is not very pro-active and initiative and tends more to act on orders and instructions. but i hv set out certain tasks ard the house which are to be done daily and she can follow and do them without any supervision and reminding.

there are little things which she can forget and i hv to keep reminding her not to do it. i am still patient at tis point cos she is oni 1 mth old.
but if this continues for too long, i think i will reach my patience limit too.

one thing good abt her is that she does not give me black face when i scold her. she even apologises everytime she did something wrong.

ya, the fees are the few hundred bucks which we paid as agency fees loh .. on 2nd thots, i think the loan thingy was not MOM's law, but was rather driven by demand-supply .. din have time to check MOM's web .. our demand for FDW is so great we had to accept such arrangements

i saw an article in today's ST forum from MOM on "Why foreign workers welfare is borne by boss" .. guess we are the 'poorest' employer amongst all the types of employers .. cos other employers employ foreign work to earn money for them (eg. company, etc).. but not us ..

today ST forum lots of maid related letters.
But why haven'e MOM wake up? MCYS encourage us to have more kids, Govt encourage ppl to retire later, AWARE encourage more woman to come back to workforce. DUH!
This is so conflicting...How can we work in peace if 1) getting a maid is so troublesome and expensive(with all the insurance, agency and wat not charges). 2) no grandparents to help cos they are retiring later. 3) Quality of childcare centres diff and escalating prices in those good ones.
Sigh, why are they not making woman's life more bearable!?

Kudos to all the super mummies here, regardless SAHM or FTWM.

welcome soyabean..i once had a maid who will apologise without knowing what she has done wrong. She apologised for the sake of apologising, and mistakes after mistakes, she will just apologise and that's it - she gave us an impression that she really cant be bothered aka if Mam wants me to apologise, I will apologise - "apologise wont kill" mentality. At the end of the day, it was v frustrating...btw, she's an fresh ID maid, but transferred maid who no family commitment type - she really drove me crazy cos she can still smile at me while apologising and when i was really screaming and shouting at her !! She's a dumb maid in action but smart maid in her mind!! Cos her "apologise wont kill" mentality is a somehow smart move isnt it?

eileen...
oh dear... if she can be smiling when apologising and when u r shouting at her, can tell its not a sincere apology!
for mine, i can sense fear in her eyes when i scold her when she make mistakes and when she says sorry... so far, she has been able to correct most mistakes and do them right after a couple of telling-offs.

btw, this current maid i hv is the 1st maid i hv in my entire life... :p my family hv never had a maid b4 so this time is actuali a big adjustment for us.

Actually for me, if I already cannot tahan the maid, with replacement or not, I will send her off. But I'm lucky in the sense that I still got my in laws to hang in there for me, so I can do that.

Hello ladies, been few weeks i've not join in this discussion board. life without a maid has been bit tiring but we do have better privacy. anyway, my hubby is now urging me to get a maid...reason is because I am only 21 weeks into my 2nd pregnancy and my doctor is subscribing this medication nifedipine since i've been having braxton hicks, pressure below and i am dilated 1cm. pretty scary to me. hubby insists i need help with housework and also my 3+ yr old daughter. Argh...the thought of it really sucks. i thought i could try to live without but i think i will have to give in for the sake of my baby. all i have to do is close one eye right? anyway, i'll still send my daughter to full-day nursery while the maid will just do housework and cooking during the day. this time around i'd like to hire an indonesian maid. so my question to u ladies if u can recommend me a good agent (pro-employer). have u come across this agent dolphin maid? if so can u please share your experience? i am thinking of having a new maid since the experience ones can 'party' during the day. this time around i will be more strict. no handphones and no off-day. please help. thanks.

Hey bee... if u wan.. i can intro my agent to u.. she's quite pro-employer i wld say.. u may wan to try.. but u do not accept PM.. so mayb u wld like to give me ur email add so i can give u the contact.. meanwhile.. take gd care of urself..

ok i just found out pm means private messages and i've edited my profile. sorry about this. please do pm me. thanks a lot.

Back