Advice pls: Starting on Solids

Hi mybabydream
I read from the other threads that it is all right to give cheese to babies. Not those cheese slices that we put on sandwiches but softer white cheese. I am currently feeding my 8 mth old daughter with Laughing Cow cheese cubes or Philadephia cream cheese. Think the latter's salt content is lower. Anyway, do compare the labels for nutrition contents first.

YL,
I am using the baby potatoes that i bought from NTUC. Red skin potatoes, Mmm... never see it before lei. Where do you buy it?

Btw do you bake your potatoes or boil it? Heard that baked potato will taste different from boiled potato? Is it true?

I bought the red skin ones from cold storage. The package is 'Harvest Moon'. find usual potato hv raw taste when boiled.

I steam the potatos. never tried baked before so nt sure

To mommies ve bbs starting on HT Cereals? Brownrice and Oatmeal for bb @4M+

Can u advice how to make the paste like? How many spoons n water?

Want 2 let bb try 2~5 spoons 2 see if she likes it or not. = p

Can pm me? Thanks.

Sorry.

Got question to ask.

Mommies, u got give bb eat those Heinz in bottles, right?

Do u open that small bottle n throw away even though use only a small portion of it?

Hi,

Please advise me how do you steam vegetable, eg spinach/broccoli before puree it? Is it the same way as steaming apples? Normally I steam apples soak in water. Thanks.

Thank YL. Understand liow.
happy.gif

Btw, anyone know where to get ABC pasta?

HI mommies, may i join in this thread. My dd is only 18 weeks old, i am trying to postpone introdusing solid to her till at least week 20. PD has assessed that she is ready for solid.

Can anyone recommend which blender to use? what's he difference between blender and food processor?
Most books say 'baby rice cereal' is good first solid food. Is brown rice baby rice? Healthy times do not have white rice/ baby rice leh.

I feel so excited to progress onto another milestone... hope i'll be prepared for it.

I'm using Pigeon Food Maker. It's manual, has the function to sieve, grate etc. works well for me so far. pic can be found here http://www.galtak.com/d326.html There're other similar ones in market at cheaper price, Lucky Baby and Tollyjoy.

I intro Heinz plain rice cereal, but heard it's nt available now. Healthy times brown rice cereal is the same. It's the first cereal for babies. When ur girl reaches 6mths u can try the oatmeal or barley cereal. I've tried Healthy Times n Earth Best oatmeal cereal. I prefer Earth Best, find it smell better.

Thx, YL for your advise. Where can i get Earth best cereal? can order on line?
Rice cereal is different from rice poriddge cos cereal just add water/ fm/bm, porride got to cook, right?

I bought Earth Best cereal from either Brown Rice Paradise at Tanglin Mall or an organic shop at United Square basement. dont think can order online.

My understanding of cereal is just add water or milk, porridge is hv to cook from rice.

I started porridge when my boy was ard 7.5mths

Wat do u give a 8mth baby for breakfast? Looking for more ideas on breakfast. So far i'm giving either rolled oats or cereal

sook, i believe the rice cereal is white rice cereal. some mummies use heinz white rice cereal (but currently OOS). You can also try bellamy (ORGANIC) rice cereal(not the porridge type) found in some supermarket OR Hipp white rice cereal ( Brown rice paradise) Reason being white rice cereal is easier to digest and few babies get allergic to tat.

I am giving my boy hipp white rice cereal mixed with EB brown rice cereal as he has been taking purely hipp for a month already. For breakfast, i choose EB oatmeal cereal mixed with apple puree or banana. My boy love it.

Hi all mummies

Does anyone know whether brown rice paradise sells pure blended brown rice powder?

Hi sook

I bought a philips small blender. Find it quite well, anyway philips is having warehouse sales.

I gave my son heinz white rice cereal.

Hi mummies
I started my 6 mth old ds on solids a couple of weeks ago. Since then, he's been sleeping A LOT on some days. Any mummies experience this? Should I be concerned? Thanks!

Celine,

i went to Brown Rice Paradise today.. bought the Earth best multi grain cereal for my 6mth old bb. is it the same as the oatmeal cereal that you have mentioned? i only saw 2 types of cereal available, 1 is for 4mth and up, the other for 6mth and up.

hi smiley,
yes.. got jar food, alot of variety, earth's best alone,, already a lot of variety, and still have Hipp and.. think got another brand.. can't remember..
for earth best, $2.50/jar. other brand not sure, only bought earth best
happy.gif
they oso have teething biscuit and cereal food bar

u can check up the EB website, www.earthsbest.com.

Hi, yan. Multi grain are only suitable for 9months and above cause it contains wheat inside.

The oat ceral I am giving is under earth best bran.

Mummies who are keen are organic jar food, I have to sell
1) Healthy Times Sweet Potato
2) Healty Times Butternut squash
3) Baby Nat Organic Peaches
4) First Cereal with Rashberry and apple

(1) & (2) selling for $1.80 each. (3) selling for $2.50. (4) selling for $8.

Do PM me if you are keen

Celine,
thanks for your info.. luckily u told me about it. i asked the sale girl, she said it is for 6mth and above. i just called the nanny to stop giving her already. sigh.... sell without knowing the product....
sad.gif

yan,
Earth's best multi grains can be for 6mths up lah. No wheat in the ingredients. Dont worry.

Ingredients: Organic Whole Oat Flour, Organic Whole Millet Flour, Organic Brown Rice Flour, Organic Rice Bran Extract, Tocopherols (Vitamin E), alpha-Amylase (Enzyme), Electrolytic Iron.

Need advise as my boy is refusing his brown rice porridge with either fish or meat & vege for lunch but he's ok when we give him rice, soup and steam fish for dinner.

Was thinking of changing his lunch to rice too but ran out of ideas for cooking his meat.

Wonder if anyone have tasty recipes to share.
Thanks.

rowena,
at 17mths old he can start eating rice with dishes liao. definitely by that age they would have been bored of their porridge already. i started feeding my dd rice w/ dishes when she was 16mths old. basically we feed her whatever dishes that we are eating for dinner that day. the only thing is we can't cook anything too spicy or put too much salt/oil in the dishes lor. i think the standard dishes most ppl feed their tods with rice would be steamed fish and soup. for my dd, she got strong tastebuds lah, so she prefers stronger tasting dishes. so we give her dishes like sweet sour fis/chix, soy sauce chix, chix w/ cashew nuts, teriyaki chicken, braised tofu, steamed egg, egg foo yong, stir fried veges, etc. she also loves to eat yong chow fried rice, chicken rice, nasi lemak, nasi beryani, pasta, spaghetti bolognese, fried noodles, won ton mee, hor fun, etc so we also cook these dishes quite often.

Hi ladies!

I need your advices and help....

My boy refuse to eat breakfast now!
sad.gif
I have been giving cereal (Earthbest type, multigrain or oatmeal) but recently he refuse to eat and puke.

May I know what sort of breakfast can i offer? He is 16mth old but only 4 tooths on top and bottms...so can't chew well.

Thanks thanks in advance!

oh, you want to give it a rest for the time being? Did anything happen before this episode? How often did you give the cereals? Is he bored?

hi YL,
thanks for the tips! May i know what sort of oat you are refering to?

hi missk,
he has been eating cereal as breakfast for long time, occassionally bread....but recently for days he is eating bread with cheese only. He just puke out all the cereal and declare war with me
sad.gif

janey, i really sympathise with you. I have such a difficult start with my son. He doesn't like cereals at all.

Maybe your son is bored. Have you tried oatmeal? What kind of cereals are you using?

missk,
thanks for sharing my feeling..hahaah...i have been giving those multigrain or oatmeal cereal from Earthbest, organic cereal with his milk.

I am running out of idea...so feeding him bread now. Even for lunch or dinner i have been boring too.

haha ....bread is great! Did you toast it a little? I heard it's good to toast it a little. but I cant remember the reason.

Why dun u get a recipe book?

janey
i giving organic bb oats, the brand is Origins. can be found in NTUC or organic shops.

sometimes I added fresh milk to cooked oats before feeding. my boy likes it

hi YL,
cooked oat? oh...can i ask which type of milk u give? i have not given any form of fresh milk before...he is taking GainIQ :p

as i give little oats for breakfast cos he drink milk just before breakfast. usually i'll cook 1-2 tbs. u can cook bb oats over stove or add boiling water n soak for a while to soften it. as i give little amt, i add water to the oats n steam for few mins. after it's done, i'll add fresh milk as it's a bit dry to eat.

I bought those chilled fresh milk, UHT nt recommended cos it has lots of preservatives. must be full cream milk, our bbs need the fats. HL milk nt recommended also.

so far i intro fresh milk in cooking nt as a drink. use it to steam rice, make pancake, custard.

hi YL
Thank u so much! i really appreciate your tips! goodness, you are so informative on milk
happy.gif
i don't know fresh milk got different type..hahaha...
can i ask if you use the same type of milk for scramble egg as well? I am thinking of using unsalted butter to fry egg for him...

yah, my boy is only 16month old, can he take fresh milk from the chill section?

smiley,
bb can take fresh milk after 1yr.

janey
i asked PD before giving. wants to know more trying. i din use milk for scramble egg yet. i just pan fry egg on its own with olive oil. usually use olive oil for egg n fried rice. unsalted butter to panfried fish

Hi all,

I am new to this thread and is interested to join in. Lots of info given by the mummies here
happy.gif

My bb is 6mth old now. Has started giving her porridge liao, she was taking rice cereal when she was 5mth+.

I there any sugg as to what I can add in to the porridge? What type of veg? What other food can they eat at this stage?

Her poo becomes real hard after taking solid food, is this the normal case?

Back