Advice pls: Starting on Solids

wow...many mummies wihth good advice here.... i have a question wonder if any mommies can help...

my boy weight gain and height seems to be very slow ley..at birth is 3.6kg and 51cm... now at going 8mths come 2 jul, hes only 9kg and 6.5cm..this has been the measurement since 6mths+ 7mths....why huh? his menu as follows :

6am 180ml milk

9am bfast-cereal and fruits (banana or apple or papaya)

12pm lunch-brown rice with meat & fish & either 2 of this spinach/carrot/pumpkin/broccoli/potato (6mth only pumkin/carrot)

3pm 180ml milk & 1egg yolk & sweet potato/potato (6mth is 1/2 egg yolk)

6pm dinner-porridge with meat & fish & either 2 of this spinach/carrot/pumpkin/broccoli/potato (1st 2 week of 7th mth-instead of porridge, is 1 whole potato)

10pm 180ml milk with cereal (last feed to last him till 6am)

I tried each new food for about 3 days before i intro a new item, then i start mixing them up. sometime i wonder if i mixed too much.... any expert here can advise? is it that he has to take more milk...actually i follow the menu from KKH book....except that i add more ingredients into porridge ley.....

Shop4stuffs,

Don't worry, every child grow at different speed. You are feeding him well, keep it up. As long as he is eating solids, drinking milk, sleeping well, there's really nothing to worry about.
happy.gif

Hi Mummies,

My son is 16 mths old, but he is very fussy about food. He doesnt like mashed porridge and some of our cooked items. Thus, even now, he takes around 900ml of milk everyday. Is this normal ?

Thus, his food spread is very limited to toasted bread, Oats, banana, squashed orange pulp and brown rice and commercial heinz jelly.

I know that 16 mth old babies are supposed to eat more than this. NEvertheless, his wt is normal, except that he is fussy about food. Is this abnormal ? Am pretty worried about him not having enough nutrition.

Hi Sonia,

its normal for kids to be fussy eaters. I have one at home. If he refuse to eat say porridge today, try again next week or 2 weeks time. Sometimes it works...of course sometimes it doesn't. Just have to keep trying to offer new and nutritious food.

mummies, i need your help. my baby is turning 6 months old next week and we started to give her gerber peach puree but she doesn't seem to like it. she would act like throwing up even before the spoon touches her mouth because she can see the color already. how do you start to give her solids? should it be plain colored cereals first? please advise. thanks.

mahalia,
maybe u can try gvg rice cereal mix with some of his regular milk. the taste will be mre familiar to him. peach is abit sourish, tatz y he might be turned off by it.

rem tat he's been havg milk all these while, so his experience with his 1st foods shd be mre neutral in taste.

hi mummies,

please advise me. my boy is turning 7 mths. I've been trying to intro solids 3 weeks ago. First started with rice cereal and had a hard time trying to feed cos he doesn't seem to know how to eat and the food kept dropping out from his mouth. then he became frustrated and want his milk. the next time, i gave him half milk feed and gave him the cereal again, he dun wan. my friend suggested i put it into his milk to drink so i did for a week but heard it's not good cos it's too heavy and he did vomit. so i went back to spoon feeding. yesterday i gave him rice cereal, he dun wan. afternoon i let him try apple juice and sauce, he tasted a bit, dun like. He's a bit constipated and i tried to give him water, he dun wan. I tried to spoon feed him water but only 1/8 tries he drinks. Nowadays, he'll cry and scream whenever i tried to feed him food/ water. really driving me nuts. sometimes i'm thinking maybe he's just not ready. Shld I continue to try or wait till he show some interest in food? my friend told me cannot wait too long cos they'll be used to mlk that it's even harder to intro solids. I know tht we have to wait for 4 days before intro another new food but with him rejecting the new food, i duno wat to give him during the waiting period. really helpless.

hi imrouge,

I had the same problem. When my son turned 7 mths old, I had introduced semi solid food such as oats, brown rice, however, it took a lot of time and effort for his tastebuds to adapt to the food. Babies are like this, they do not want to have too many changes and as such, they may be resistant to new tastes. Nevertheless, do not lose hope, keep on feeding him a little quantity, 1-2 spoons at the most. Do not try to stuff him too much. Give him his time as well.

I had encountered the same problems as you, uptill date. He is still fussy about food and he does not take to new tastes easily. My son does not even drink from a straw bottle.

hi

Agree with Sonia. I also having the same problem with my girl and now got improvement as she can take some rice cereal. She is 8 mths old now.

Yesterday my baby did smthing which gave me some hope. He drank water on his own! I gave him the sippy cup with warm water. He was playing with it and I guided him to hold and put the teat to his mouth. After a while, he held it with one hand and started drinking.

Duno what's going on in babies' mind. The more you force them the more they'll reject it. So maybe I'll just place the food in front of him to play around (I read fr somewhere) and maybe he'll stop rejecting the food. But hav to prepare myself not to fuss with the mess.

if i cld turn back time...

i wld have let my bb learn how to self feed when he was showing the interest. instead, i insisted on feeding him cos like all mothers, i was afraid he's not getting enuf nutrition daily.

i realised now, it was an important skill tat they shd have. 2day, my boy is almost 3yo and still chose not to feed himself. i noe he can do it cos he does it in school. but at home, he wun sit still to eat. the only way is for me to feed him. when we go out for dinner, i had to feed him 1st b4 i can have my own meal..i look 4ward to the day when we all can sit down and have our meals together, instead of separately.

to all mummies out there, let ur bb learn this skill frm young while they r interested and curious to do so.

I've decided to stop for a week. I gave him some pumpkin but he tasted and didn't want to eat. He wanted his milk. The next day, his existing rashes (he always got this problem on and off) got worst and I brought him to see the doctor. Doctor told me it's mostly likely mild eczema or heat rash but not allergy. Might be because the rashes only appears on the neck and face area. Weather quite hot these days plus when he gets frustrated, he'll cry till face red red and sweat.

Wait till his rashes subside. Anyway, he doesn't seem interested in food. When we eat, he just look at us and went back to play his toys. He doesn't drool or anything. He doesn't wake up for night feeds.

Hi, mummies. Shashan here. Really need advice here. When u feed yr bb, do they sit still in high chair and finish the meal? Coz my boy always make noise after 2-3 mins sit in high chair, must used toy to distract him to finish his meal. Really stress during every feeding time.... : (

We distract my girl with ice, tissue pkt, toys. Sometimes it works sometimes we give up n let her walk around or we let her sit on our lap. After she happy Liao we put her back into highchair to continue feeding. It is very frustrating when u r hungry n want to eat n this creature is by the side making hell lot of noise. But things will improve. Now at 13 mths, she can sit still for 15-20mins during her meals alone. And when we feed her while we are eating together, she can last up to 30mins.

Ya, usaginoko. Really going to go crazy already.... Everyday have to face such problem 3 times some more....

Furthermore, my boy going to 8 months soon, but still unable to introduce porridge as he rejected. Mummies can share how u introduce porridge? Let's say if we try to give porridge for lunch, if he refuse to eat, do u still give him rice purée (my boy still having baby rice with apple, pumpkin and etc)? Or skip that meal? If skip, won't bb hungry?

Shashan, I had the same problem with my girl too. Started cereals at 5.5 mths. Sometimes eat sometimes reject. Then we tried porridge at 6.5 mths. Total reject no matter how we cooked it: plain white with her fav purée, traditional with meat stock, soft & mashes or with soft rice. Almost every feeding I lose my temper, she cries, food thrown. Then i'll give milk. It was a very stressful period. This went on for almost a month till she went for 8 mth jab/review then PD told me to intro other food, including adult food with discretion. He said to delay her milk feed before meals to make her hungry. And when they r hungry they eat anything. It didn't work coz she was so angry with delayed milk she rather starve than eat n cry till she gets her milk.
Then we tried the adult food method n realized she likes it. She likes bread, beehoon, noodles, rice with gravy or seasonings. And so from 8 mths onwards we stopped trying to intro porridge n let her eat adult food instead, but small portions n not too salty or oily, plus no seafood. At 10mths we let her eat dimsum porridge n she loved it. We conclude she doesn't dislike porridge, she just dislikes the healthy but bland porridge we cook specially for her! Oh, and we realize she likes baby jar food (Heinz). So I give her rice/bb pasta mixed with jar food.
My mum told me I rejected porridge too, until I was 18mths? She gave me brown rice cereal instead. There are 2-3 other bb in my thread who rejects porridge too.
Maybe u can try giving other food to see what your boy likes. Think in a positive way, go out no need cook & bring out porridge, very convenient ;p

Hi mummies.. I need advise. My 7 mth old boy seems to dislike drinking from bottle now. He started on solids a month ago and when I feed him rice cereal with ebm, he'll finish all. As soon as I try to feed him ebm with bottle, he'll scream. He's only drinking 4 times a day (about 180ml to 210ml). And now, he barely drinks half. I usually time feedings 4 hrs apart and feed him before he cries in hunger. But even if I don't feed him these days, he'll not cry. Anyone with same experience? Or any mummies can advise?

Hi Mummies, I am purchasing the Seed Eletric Lunch Box 3 tiers in bulk at $68, for those who interested to join kindly PM or Whatsappt me at 83886118.

Back