Advice on use of FRESTYLE MEDELA PUMP

tkgy17

Hi mummies,
I got my freestyle pump n started using for the first time tody. For my first child i used and still using (for no 2), the mini electric dual pump (mep). I LOVE that as it is fast and suction awesome. In 10mins i can pump out alot.
Now w freestyle...i realise comparing it to the MEP, that there are more pump parts to assemble and it says that all pump parts mus be dry prior to use. I read from here that some mummies share that if not dry, suction no gd.
Im going bck to wk in end jun, and wld nd to sterlise the parts still.
Previously with my MEP parts, i used hold them in sterlise liquid and fling off the excess water before iassemble and pump. Worked well this way for v v long.
My qns is can i also store my freestyle parts in sterlise liquid? Which means i have to dry them before use. That takes up time and that is an issue given my tite wking time.
Any mumies can share how they use the freestyle at work???? Please help me as i am confused and stressed over it. Cos it was a huge investment to get this pump for my no 2 as i intend to bf long term up to 3 yrs. my no 1 i fed up to 27mths. N used the mep all the way. Am still using the sAme mep for no 2. Just opened the freestyle today to try it.
Hope mummies can help me to suggest how i can use it at work, in particular the sterlising of the pump parts.
Many thanks for all your support n advice in advance.

Hi kk,

I have been using freestyle for a while now (7mths) and I never dry the parts before use. I found the suction to be alright. Does your office have a microwave? If so, maybe you can consider using the microwaveable bag to sterilise your pumps instead. It takes only about 2 mins to sterilise
happy.gif

Hi Magadelene!
Yes, i thought abt using the microwave bags. Cld i ask ya, say i use the bag to sterlise n then pour out he water (there is a side opening right?) and then can i leave the parts in the bag until my next pumping session. I was reading up on the internet n watching videos....hear that it mus b completely dry for the suction to be good. N some tips on the on use of the pump? How much r those bags? Tks so much for your advice..mayb i hve been using it incorrectly.

Hi kk,

Yes u can. That's what I do. After wash, I sterilise the pumps and leave them in the bag till the next pump session. The bags are quite expensive locally. I used Munchkin though medela has its own microweable bag too. Each bag can be used up till 20 times. My hubby flies to US quite often so he bought them there where it's cheaper. I'm not sure how much they cost here but you can find them in kiddy palace. So sorry, I can't give much advice on using the pumps. I basically just plug them in and pump! Lol!

for me, i have both the freestyle and PIS. I bring the free style to work.

I will sterilise the pump at home and bring it to work. if you are pumping more than once at work and find it a hassle to sterilise, u can keep the pump in the fridge. and take it out from fridge and use the 2nd time.

i learnt this online as well. the logic being that breastmilk stays fresh in the fridge for up to 7days (shorter if ur fridge is not cold or you keep opening the doors) so the same applies for the residual milk streaks in the pump.

i will wash and sterilise the pump daily at the end of day after using it at work. i did this for both my kids and there is no adverse reaction from them from drinking the milk expressed in this manner.

and personally, i dont find the pump ineffective. i think as long as the tube is not wet, than there shouldn't be any problem.

Even though you may feel overwhelmed by the parts, they are easy to assemble and no small parts like the PIS where the valve & membrane is small.

Hi, raywen n raincath!
Tk u for ur sharing. I got the medela microwaveble bags at smf bp n it is v much cheaper than retail. I havent tried yet cos im waiting for it to b delivered. Ok, i will try using it n see how it goes. Raincath n raywen, do u both dry ur parts before u pump?

Back