Advice on Myanmar Maid

No lah, my maids were not highly educated.

On their bios, they were all "high school", which I think is the most common box the maid agencies always tick. Real or not, we wouldn't know. All we needed was the helper to understand enough English to know what we are saying and for her to be able to express what she requires.

But my friends did comment that all my helpers were and are clever. They know how to wait till I'm in the pool with the kids or something and then seek out a lone friend at times to ask "is peninsula plaza far from here?", or "are there many maids who go to play at peninsula plaza on sundays?", and the like. My friends would always tell me. But I have no need to confront, so I don't.

They have all agreed during pre-engagement stage that they voluntarily do not want off days and we give them slightly better than market compensation.

This is why I am slightly less concerned about my belongings being spirited out. And my kids are rarely ever alone with the helper, which means they would have me or a family member or even a trusted friend as guardian with them at all times.

Nothing is fool-proof. We just have to strike a balance between vigilance and sanity.

I didn't really have maids when I was a child. We had local ma-jies and these are ladies who have been with the family since my grandparents' times. One of them is still in Singapore and I meet her and her grandson once in a while with my mom for meals and catch up. Yes, this one was married. Most of the unmarried ones usually go back to the province when they retire.

One of my aunt actually has a maid agency as a hobby, been at that for maybe 18 years, but I would not take any maid from her, neither would she recommend any to me.

All her maids are from Philippines and they all have at least one handphone each and at least one off day per week. They have full-fledged lives apart from their work and seem pretty happy boisterous people.

They are good for people who have a few maids at any one time, so that the down time can be affordable.

I do need a helper on weekdays and weekends too. But she has a easy workload. My dog got sent to boarding house. And we have other help. She gets her afternoon 3 hours to pursue her interests, like sewing, reading, drawing, napping. So in a way, it's not like a slave-driven role.

Some of my friends are, well, very efficient maid schedule managers.... ;-)

In case you guys think my current maid has no attitude, have....

Just today alone, she signaled my friend to help her take water, she pretended to ignore child when child asked her to fix the balloon which came off the balloon stick, she threatened to not let me kids go swimming if they don't this and that.

The swim threat one was funny. My eldest brought her baby sister to open my bathroom door and proclaimed very loudly, "MOMMY!!!!! XXXX is being rude to me and Mei Mei!!!! Doesn't she know she is working here in our house as a maid and that she is not supposed to say rude things to children?? She cannot threaten us that we cannot go swimming at the club!!!! MOMMY, you come out now and scold her..."

It's the way the kids got united and told on the maid that I found extremely cute and endearing!!!!

I only told the maid after I finished my bath and questioned all parties one round, "you cannot threaten to withhold anything or any service from the kids. I never raised them by threats and fear. You don't want me to start practicing threats too. I think you understand. Clear".

She nodded and said "clear". End of issue.

She knows I pamper and help her and her family a lot but I mean business when I do.

I learnt that some helpers select who they mess with. Some just try their luck at us all. Some just shoot anyhow but can't shoot straight.

We are not alone...

We just gotta stay strong!!! Be encouraged, all the mommy employers out there!!! Jia you!!!

So sick of my maid. Tell her to do something, she says yes Mdm and never do. Today I just found a 2 months old ham in the vegetable compartment. And she wanted to explain that she put the recently purchased ham in te chiller. I still remember clearly 2 months back I actually asked her where's the ham. All along, I have been telling her if you do not know where to keep stuff, ask me. Yesterday I also found the recently purchased fishballs in the freezer..

Today I told her to keep the baby's open juice and food in fridge first. She said yes Mdm then went to get milk bottled from bag and walked all the way past the fridge to the sink. So I waited. She then went to get plastic bags to line the bin. I am like....

She's been like that everyday and I have been correcting er everyday. Got so many instances when I keep telling her not to do this, to do this on different times different occasions and my husband tells me to just let it be.

That's why I came back 1 day to find a baby cockroach wandering around my living room which is mopped everyday. And why is the floor dirty, because I found out that despite the floor being swept and mopped everyday, the mop wasn't washed. So all the accumulated dirt, food, juice has been moving around my house.

I am so sick of correcting her despite telling her nicely, telling her harshly, making her write down, putting stickers, I want to send her back to agency

I changed my maid as she is also like your maid. Don't know and act smart. I have put up for six months and that is enough. I regretted not letting her go earlier.

I'm also going through a "maid management" patch now...

So seasonal, sometimes good, sometimes, just drives me nuts...... Arrrghhhhh!!!!!..........

So frus that I dunno how to even start sharing....

But yes, if for many months and not a day of sane work rendered, might be right in some cases that better change earlier..... Just be careful to ensure transition statue is done well

How often do your maid wash the bathroom? Everyday? Alternate days?

My maid said that, with her 1st employer, the bathroom is washed every 2 weeks. Her employer brings her to mother's house every day 7am and returns home evening 9-11pm.

When we work for a new company, we abide by the new emploeyr's SOPs, rules of engagement and corporate culture.

Likewise.

If the helper insist on following what her first employer did or claim did, is the first employer still her current employer? If she want to do it her first employer's way, perhaps she wants to return to work for that employer then.

If she has accepted the offer to work for you, it is understood or has to be made to understand that she does it your way.

Hi Nelle

I agree with you.

I'm curious though, about how often other households have their maid clean the bathrooms? What's the majority's frequency?

mine is once a week. i think washing everyday or even alternate days is a bit overkill right? waste water also. initially mine was twice a week (major washing ie wash wall tiles, change mat, glass door, toilet bowl etc) but now become once a week as there are other fix chores that my maid need to do everyday. making her wash the toilet every day simply doesn't make sense..but I expect no foul smell coming from the bathroom though...she must maintain it clean until the next major weekly wash.

My maid washes everyday unless we all went out for the day and she has no access to my toilet. Simple reason being she doesn't look after kids, even if she does, it's only occasion half hour at home or when I take over her chores.

Also, all our chores don't need her to use strength since we purchased mops etc that are easy to use. So no reason for her to be tired out with looking after kids and chores or have lack of time to finish chores. My maid is super slow, but work still can be done with washing of toilets. However if she needs to fully look after kids or a child who can crawl or learning to walk and she is very slow, I supposed she will only be able to sweep and mop all the floors, machine wash everyone's clothes and hang them plus cook simple dishes with the equipment I have.

I have personally look after 2 kids, machine wash clothes and hang them up, sweep and mop all the floors while the clothes were in washing machine and kids were sleeping in 20min times and cook for the kids and myself for the day. And note, I am not healthy as I have severe back pain problems and heavy lack of sleep. So a healthy person should be able to do more.

My maids have never washed wall tiles at all, even during festive seasons and guests are expEcted. Only scrub the floor with floor scrub. Wash toilet bowl and sink, wipe door and mirror with glass cleaner. At most half hour if thorough. Ten mins if not. Yes, she does waste water, splash all over and still smells. What to do, half hour still not thorough.

Simple solution of water, Jif (cif) and sponge will do.

How frequent depends on usage of the bathroom, how often silt starts to collect, etc. Mine is usually thrice a week but I can tell she does less. But when you make it clear and reinforce, then job is done. Give n take, I guess.

No right and wrong, depends on your needs and preferences.

Thanks so much for sharing about the bathroom wash frequency, I really appreciate it.

I get very pissed when I go into the common bathroom and it smells. Last night, I discovered she nested the pails while they were wet, there were pools of water in the 3rd and 4th pails and I'm sure they were there for at least a few days.

My schedule for her is to wash the bathroom floors, sink and toilet bowl everyday. I expect her to use her eyes and nose to check if any extra cleaning is to be done, corners, walls pails dry etc.

My husband is spoilt and he couldn't care less to be careful with aiming properly or use of liquid soap, shampoo, toothpaste etc

Once every week, she has to do a thorough cleaning of everything, corners, tiles, toiletries stuff etc. Last Friday, thorough cleaning day, four bottles toiletries stuff, after washing, there were bits of black I don't know what stuff on them.

The only way I know if she has done her work is when I see or touch or smell. If it's still not clean, it's not cleaned, no matter how she tells me how many times she has cleaned them, correct?

When I confront her, she looks down with her eyes to the floor, but with this stubborn, 'bay gam guan' face. When I actually show her the dirt, soiled stuff, she looks so surprised at the item, bobbing her head, examining the items as if like thinking, 'how did it get there?!?!?' then look at me with this innocent look on her face.

I'm thinking 'Innocent? Innocent my A*&%?!?!'

I told her many times, she still work without looking, touching or smelling.

There is only husband and me now in a small flat. No cooking, only prepare ingredients for me to cook. Washing machine, iron clothes and keep the house clean.

Compared with my previous Indo maids, I think Mynmar maids are really bad in hygiene awareness. My 1st Mynmar maid I tolerated for 3 weeks was worse and got this replacement, she is with me now for 6 months.

For my indo maids, they learn after a month or 2 that they cannot get away with cheating on their cleaning chores.

Yea, my Myanmar maid also give me the innocent look when I point out her mistakes and still try to "explain" somemore. Recently, I told her that I will not teach her how to sew anymore since my house is not clean and she gives me slipshod work. Today, she just took my cloth and told me she knows how to sew and can she try. I said no. Just this morning, realize she didn't even bother to tuck the sheet properly into the bed frame, never check strawberries and put rotten strawberries into child's lunch box. Yesterday, never put milk powder into milk powder box also don't know amount.

She even told me she can do marketing herself, by just looking. When I do marketing, I know what to look for. When she does cleaning, she doesn't even know how to look for dirty spots to clean and they are obvious dirty spots.

I was thinking a few months ago that after this Myanmar maid, I probably go back to Indo maids.

Then in the news, with the recent changes on employing Indo maids, I think it's going to be difficult and much more expensive.

If the quality of Indo maid is good, don't mind to pay more. Just that I think the newer generations of maids accross nationalities appears to be quite bad.

So sian!

Is it like they have some kind of rebellion streak in them?

A job is a job, follow instructions and do the job we paid to do. How difficult is this?

They can't or won't do what we have instructed them to do? They want to do what they want to do they way they want to do it, when they feel like doing it?!?!?!

When I've been out and come home, she says she's done all her chores. When I'm in the house, she looks so busy, working non stop....she is actually very , very slow... takes a looong....time to do her cleaning chores. When I check it later, it's still not clean either oily or wipe with tissue, there's dirt.

If I were you, I die die won't teach her sewing. I bet she wants to cultivate that as a hobby and learn that skill.

I won't let my maid go marketing, I only instruct her to buy things like tauge in the morning because she will need time to clean them. Or last minute, need garlic, shallot, ginger etc. I won't risk it with her buying bad meat, bad veggie....she can't even see dirt or smell mold in my bathrooms.

My maid can't even tell what is dirty or clean, which is the basic chore of housekeeping as a foreign domestic helper, what else can I trust her to do in the house?

I don't even want this maid to cook, I don't want to teach her cooking. If she cannot follow my instructions to clean the house, how can I be sure she will follow my instructions and get the cooking done properly? To not spoil/waste my ingredients, burn the food, the pot or the house down when I'm not looking??!?!?

I think my maid is 2 and 3. Even after agent tells her to wash her clothEs after she finishes chores and I told her countless times the same thing, I still caught her washing her clothes once after agent spoke to her. Had to scold her very harshly.

Now I am just waiting if she will become better and remain better.my previous Myanmar maid, though have attitude problem and does not appreciTe our kindness to her, at least does her cleaning and cooking chores well. I still wish we had granted wish to get a hp. She wasn't too bad after all compared to current. btw, I suspect English test plays a part. Current maid came in after English test was made easier to pass. And I had whole lots of problems.

Recently, also started giving me the stubborn look, turning away when I was correcting her (basically not listening lor). Also got the bay guam wan look.

Yesterday, I told her, I don't like scolding you and correcting you everyday. You don't like it also. Do your work properly and we will both be happy. Even if we treat you well, we will still send you back to agent if you cannot work. Until you do your work properly, I won't teach you sewing. Use your brains for thinking and remembering how to do work properly instead of thinking about sewing. And do not touch my cloths and sewig machine without my permission anymore since I already told you so. Just be because I keep quiet doesn't mean I don't know how you are doing your work. Nothing is wrong with me if I have to keep scolding and correcting you but something is definitely wrong with you.

And I add this, when I was your age and working, if I behave like you, my boss would have told me to leave the company and stay home since not suitable for work.

Oh yea, she also only understand threats. Tell her nicely, not in scolding tones, brain doesn't get it. A bit like my toddler son. Once I threaten that work load will increase, like "don't finish don't sleep", or "dirty mop and mop until clean" immediately understand. I have come to realize that it is not communication problems. It is a unwillingness to learn at times and not understand only 10% of times. They forget they are working and think we should treat them like family. That's why they think they can anyhow do. Only own family will brave like that. But at same time, they won't treat you like family. Eg, to hang a new batch of clothes, my maid will not take down her clothes as she wants to sun them longer but will take my wet clothes down.Even ex-Filipino who claims ill treatment in Saudi, behaves like queen and hint to me to better be nice to her when I gave her a list of work to be done everyday and also stating that she should not take our kindness for granted. Once bitten twice shy.

I feel that if we would to tell our maid that if she don't do her work well,she'll be send back agent.
I feel is not really workable coz who knows they can't wait for us to send them back to agent.
Perhaps we must think of a way to tackle this issue.
To me sending back agent or sending back to their hometown is no longer workable coz their more n more gusty

I never tell my maid that because I learn from my first maid's case that they WANT to be sent back to agency and embassy. It's like a tour and excursion for them. On our tab though. Which is unfair.

So far, none of my maids have wanted to go back agency except the Filipino. My first Myanmar maid Wanted to go back because of Hp only. Overhead her telling a Filipino.

Personally, until the day MOM tells them and remind them that they are paid to do a job (not family members) and remove the clause or change it to a fairer one about repatriation, nothing will work if the maid wants to change employers.

And that affects fdw employers productivity.

Changing a maid doesn't just affect the direct employer, it affects the whole family plus external family as can be seen in just the interview. 1 family has at least 2 people generally with maybe a child. As it is, the way the conditions are set are such that it seems like only the direct employer is affected when fdw are bad or ask for transfer

After reading the story of Mymmuar maids which u mummies had employ,I still get back indos cos I can speak simple malay.My current indo maid was transfer from 1 mummy from the forum.So far she is ok,wash toilet daily,hand wash all clothings,wkends wash bedsheets,fans,etc.She is with me for 2 wks already,hope that she continue to be hard working.She even help me with afew toddlers while I do my cooking.

Hi, i need a maid urgently. My current mymmar wants to go back due to her tummy problem so i also dont want waste time on her anymore.

Rgds

Hi Onsansg,

I have endure my maid for 1.5yrs with all her homesick lies etc...becos she can take care of my son since born. Kids are our most important. But ever since dis yr she get her hp she demand alot of things such as she want off days every sunday she heard from her frd and she wants to start her off day on June dis yr onwards...and if i correct her mistake she keep Threaten me she wants to go back knowing i have no one to look after my son. Her words are very hurting even thou i treat her good. Its only towards me but when my husband around she diff pattern liao..she want to see her cousin working here during mother's day she asking me to let her go etc...im really sick and tired. On top of that her tummy prob which she already has in her own hometown. she has gastric reflux and she nvr tell her keep eating our food like spicy and curry such now it has become worse and she has not been eating rice for the past 3mths so i always have to get for her those vege and bread biscuits she buy on her own. Also that she complain i really dont know whateles i should do to please her man
sad.gif
(( so i decided to send my 18mth old son to school May 2012 so that she can go back with all means...i have control my patience on her too much...i even wrote to MOM on this issues and they already interviewed her and gave a stern warning dis year but still she very too stubborn. Even last night i brought her see doctor 2nd time last week she went herself once but last night i followed her and confirmed with the doctor her real illness he say nothing much just some gastric refulx no serious sickness and he advised her to eat rice. so she has no excuse to say dont want rice etc...

headache la im not going to tk any MORE maid from now onwards.

Wow, didn't know MOM actually steps in a bit more now if you feedback.

Where to find vietnamese maids? I'm also thinking that after my current maid finishes contract, or request to leave or whatever and youngest is older, I'm done with maids and putting youngest in childcare so I can work properly. Even my husband who used to object to childcare has to give in.

My maid still likes to explain, but she stop having the buay gam wan face after an incident one day in which I insist she goes and ask sir if I ever make sandwiches the way she does (fillings in between plastic packaging and sandwich) because she said I taught her the mistake. My husband told her to make a new sandwich just to learn again, but she keeps insisting that I have made a new one (I did) but repeated twice to tell her to make. See, she pretends in front of my husband usually but stubbornness still appears at times. So I told her in a flat face low tone "you keep saying Mdm made already and sir heard and tell you to make again but you still say Mdm already made. So you don't want to make is it?"

I find this tone and expression works better with her. So now a bit more bliss at home. She gets the idea that I am not happy enough to maybe send her back to agent so she has another 2 months loan, yet not angry or nagging her. All along, I tell her nicely in a smiling manner, else harshly when its repeated silly mistakes.She thinks I am joking or just having a bad day.

i cannot stand my new Myanmar Maid.. She has been here for less than a month and she has the guts to do the following:

1. Bring my dog downstairs her her daily walk and sat down to talk to neighbour's maid for 50 mins till my mummy went down to look for them. thought what happened to her...

2. Eat maggi mee put 7 meat balls, 2 eggs, veg, mushrooms and 2 sausages!!!

3. Cook her own dinner which consists of 2 dory fillets, toufu, pork shabu shabu, veg and 1 potful of rice..

4. sat and sun once she finish her morning sweep and mop, she just take potato chips and bak gua and seat down and watch TV for the whole day (tv is on for the whole day cos my kid cousin is at home too). She doesn't help out with chores even when she see my mum doing.

5. Every time she did something wrong and we correct her, her answer is "never mind lah.. same" or give some stupid execuse. There's always reasons or a "never mind"

6. She Naps in the afternoon when we are not ard even though chores are not done

7. Dumps my 5 month old baby with my aunt and insists that my aunt feed the baby for her

8. when baby cries, she pretends to not hear and walk into the toilet.. no matter how loud the baby cries, she will not come out of the toilet till baby stop crying (means somebody else attended to baby already). This is not a coincidence cos i tested a few times. Purposely be in the kitchen and baby cry see whether she will go tend to the baby anot. I TOLD HER MANY TIMES.. Tending to the baby is her main responsibility.

when she first came, we told her that we want to treat her like a family.. she eats what ever we eats and together with us.. all i want is for her to do her job properly and put the baby as first priority. Since her first day, i bought her ferro rocher, 3-4 huge packs of biscuits, a new slipper, hair accessories, clothes and even hand cream for her personal use.

BUT her attitute sucks big time, lazy and even after i scolded her last week for watching tv the whole weekend and not completing her chores, the same thing repeated this week...

Am going to send her back once my replacement arrives and I AM SO NOT GOING TO BE THAT NICE TO THE NEW MAID.. too bad for her cos she has a disappointing predessor.

grrrrrrrrrrrr...

Goodness. Fortunately you have already decided to send her away. Cannot work and attitude is so bad. She's here to enjoy life. Too bad you cannot preempt her next employer.

Tinklestar, good job there!

When your helper or staff know that you are in control, ah..., they will realize that you ARE in control.

10 years ago, I employed my 1st maid (indo). I was thinking, be nice to her first, have a good start, she will be more motivated. BIG MISTAKE!

She was younger than her bio-data, 17 years old; I only found out 2 weeks later. she kept calling me while I was out, saying that she's lonely. I bought her notebooks to write, color pencils and paper to draw. Bought chicken drumsticks especially for her own cooking, etc, etc.

I let her watch malay cooking tv shows as she turns out, not able to cook, except for cooking rice and frying eggs. When my husband and I come home from supermarket, open the door, she just stay seated on the sofa, watching her show, not even coming to help us with the bags of groceries.

Few days before this maid arrived, my mum was hospitalized, she ended up staying in the hospital for 6 months. So this maid never got to take care of my mother. She can't even keep the house clean.

Last straw came when I woke one morning early and she was in the living room, taking photos. After lunch, I told her to pack her things and sent her back to the agent. I tolerated for 3 months, dirty house, broken stuff, answer back etc.

At the agency, we went through her things, found that she stole our photos, including my brother, his wife and son's. The agency boss (which on previous visits I did not meet) told me to always keep boundaries and never let them be confused with who's boss right from her first step in to my house.

Thank God, the indo maid that replaced her was a good maid that worked for me for 6 years. She learn fast, by 4-5 weeks she did everything to my expectation without supervision. I probably only scolded her like 5-10 time the whole 6 years she worked for me. She had to go back home as her dad was quite sick and her mum needed her to take care of the family there, asked her to get married. I was generous with her and she save up a lot of money, bought land and built extension for her house.

My present maid, Myanmar. I think Myanmar, worse!!!! Today, I saw her using the small brush, mean to use in bathroom, for corners and toilet....she use it to clean/brush my mini bundt pan after the cakes were removed. She kept insisting that I teach her to do so. How is it possible?

I separate everything, all the supplies for bathroom/toilet are in 1 special bucket container with a lid that she ports around to do her chores. All the supplies for food/eating utensils are by the sink. I have 3 sets of brushes by the sink, for scrubbing potatoes etc, for bottles (5 various sizes and shapes), for sink.

Dear Mummies,

Pls allow me to share my story...im so stress and disturbed.

I have a Myanmar maid with me since Oct 20 2010, till now I have been so patience with her. She was very good in the beginning and I thought im so blessed with such a maid.
As the months goes by she started to get homesick and she cry to go back she do all sort of things like calling her maid agency in Yangon her aunties in Yangon to help with the loan fee I was on maternity leave but I was so stress handling her instead of resting on bed as I went for emergency c-section. As time pass she went thru this process and later part last year DEC she gave us a bomb. Ask her “relation” so called to come and visit her in my house. And this relative of her she first say its her relative later say her cousin sister frds damn tricking. The worse thing I went thru in my life last year with this current maid. She went down with her relatives without listening to me. I told her she can talk outside my side and those people are so rude to qns me why our relative have no HP and no off day how are we going to meet her etc…HELLO am I supposed to ans all this plp so my husband told me don’t qns us if you have any enquires please check with MOM. Awhile later I went down carrying my 1yr old boy looking for her. As my daughter was with my husband I went searching for her to my shocked she was with a two police officers. They called up the police to say I never give HP and off day?? Thanks GOD I too made a report earlier while searching her dat my maid is lost.

Eventually the police say since there is no abuse and all the salary’s given to the maid in order she have to go back with me and even told the relation not to come my house anymore without my permission. Serve them right. Later she keep saying wanted to go back while I was choosing another maid she knew she cannot do this tricks anymore she apologise to us she wants to stay she won’t give anymore problem she wants a HP so that she don’t feel lonely. So we agreed. Later Jan dis year MOM called us for interview and they have already knew all those thing which happen on the above stated incidents and it’s the stupid relative go complain to MOM I nvr give her off day and hp etc….But too bad they are not in the position to decide all they can do is complain only. And in fact the next day of the incident happen I went down personally to the police station and lodge a report against my maid and the two plp who came over to my house without my permission. So I guess MOM have checked up all this details and on the day of interview my maid had a long lecture from the officer who is also a Myanmar lady. She called me inside the room and explained she already advised my maid and for my maid age she has no reason to say she don’t know anything. My maid is 34 dis year. And I told the officer all my part of stories and she told me give my maid a chance.

Few months she was good again she started her nonsenses after using HP she contacted her frds working in Singapore she has a lot of things to talk some good times she will share with me. I always tell her to becareful of the words to talk to anybody and also bring her church celebrate her birthday X/mas buy gift for her. Birthday cook and my inlaws give her red packet etc…the reason I keep her so long was because she was good to my kids. She looked after my son since new born with the help of my aunty but all this started after my aunty left and my maid left alone at home. She always very rude to me the way she talk and her tone its only to ME. She likes to urge with me and talked out to me..At times I will think am I the employer or is she the employer in this house. I have nobody to look after my son so I have to endure begin with her. I wanted to change a maid dat was when she apologise and I even bring her to the agency and they gave her warning. They were pissed off the way she urge with them. So her weak point is her attitude sucks.

Past 4-5mths she also fall sick which is her own country sick her tummy sensitive to spicy food but she nvr tell her when she asked her. So end up eat all out food and I almost cook curry and sambal she was hit with terrible heartburn have to advoid spicy stuffs and she also refuse to eat rice until I have to buy those soup base and breads for her with my own money for the past 4-5months. Recently last month she claimed the pain is unbearable she wanted see doctor she scared of cancer etc…haizzz…I followed her to see doctor the 2nd time first she went alone. 2nd time I asked my family doctor why is this taking so long any serious sickness he say no it’s a normal heartburn which will not disappear immediately she have to tke lil portion of food every day to reduce the pain. And I also asked the doctor the food she can intake like rice he say no problem no need to be so scared and he also say my maid scared so much so tell her be normal. And later part I asked my maid wait outside and I spoke to the doctor and asked to give me a letter cos this is prolong for so many months. Finally I told her no more giving excuses not to eat rice and just listen to us. Previously my husband bought her Myanmar medicines which she say she took in her country to ease the pain and also I bought for her from our phymarcy. So from now I told her no more taking all such of medicines and it does not work. I also suspected she might act this way so that she no need to do housework at home and look after my kids but I have no choice I waited so many months giving her all the light work at home just a 3room HDB flat there is no much work to do daily.

Just two days ago she again fight with me when my gal say she spoke to a maid outside her school. I just causally asked her who is the maid she say just frd again I asked her how you long you talking to her what you talk because she normally good times she will come and tell me she saw my church member’s maid she talked and I nvr say anything even in church she talks to all the maid I don’t say anything. But dis time round I wonder what the HELL goes into her she shouted at me its me want to talk to them why cannot ah. I was so pissed off I shouted at her back I say you are my maid I need to know who you talking with is that wrong if 1day anything goes wrong or you bring plp to the house like last time who is going to be responsible she keep urging back to me until I give up waited for my husband and he scolded her for treating me dis way. Still she can say she don’t work here for free I told her im going to bring her down to MOM let them explain to her what she should do and don’ts she say ya I also want to go MOM WTH…my husband always tell her my wife treats you so good bring you go overseas whenever we travel and buy things out of her own money but you treat her dis way…I totally give up on her and went to bed its always every moth we have to talk to her every month she gives us problem and she also knows that. She admit it. Now my son went to sch 18mths I also need a helper to fetch him prepare dinner etc…but see her character and I was not given any respect from the starting I really wants to send her back. Just yesterday after all the night urge with me she still can ask me her cousin sister going back mymmar dis month can she come and meet my maid super duper tick skin lei…I told her off I don’t want get myself hurt by your words I let my husband handle you anything you go ask him cos I helped her so much cover her work duties while she sick im a person who always like to do cooking and housework so I nvr let her do things I everyday do help her with herwork and my mother inlaw and husband always call me stupid have a maid and let her bully you., Dat really hurts me a lot. But in the other hand I endure all this due for my kids sake. It wont take me long to scold her back or send her back if I scold my son all along in the house with her she can act harshly to him . if send her back I have to find another maid and my son have to adapt to her etcl…working mother as a shipping officer its very hard for me to take leaves. Every day we see paper got maid do dis and dat so I rather be stupid fool let her scold me den lose my kids.

Now my son training to go sch my gal is already in K1 no problem with her. So I wonder should I send dis maid off by end of the month and also report all these cases to MOM since MOM always say employers must take care of FDW but who is responsible for me when my maid gives me mental stress which affected my health as I have asthma and affect my work I have to go back whenever she creates problem etc….

Sorry for the long story but I really wanted to say it out to somebody.

Cheryl M

Dear Cheryl m, really sorry for you u.i supposed your maid's contract is ending. just send her back and find a new maid. I have reached the conclusion that maids pick people to bbully
I would report your maid to MOM and make sure she doesnt get a chance to work in Singapore. She's obviously not rrepentant. At least my maid will repent when I am obviously displeased enough to look like I will send her off or when we purposely leave her home while we go out

Hi Tinklestar

Thanks for your concern. But as my case above do you think i can report her to MOM because of her behaviour?? i was in a lost moment and begin bullied by my maid i should say this to MOM and see what they will advise me. the most i guess they will ask me send back my maid loh. Im waiting for the agency to reply me because i dont know if i should send her back home myself to airport or should i send her back to agency den let them send her off if like dat right she might try to be funny like calling up MOM telling tales..i have no FEAR at all cos i have done no wrong to her infact i have all the documents and proof of photos how happy she was in my house..

very scared to get a new maid. Treat them good also i kena bully
sad.gif

my son teacher just called me to say he copes well the 3rd day in school so i hope my son understand why the need for him to attend sch early stage.

You can feedback to MOM. And aattached the police report. the least they should to after collecting the levy and putting maids behaviour on the employers is read your feedback.

And don't need to send her to agency.buy a ticket for her, give her giveher her pay and enough notice or pay in lieu and send her off according to contract. Only maids that I havedeem has redeeming qualities will be given a chanceto findanothrt employer.I think yours is hopeless

Hi Tinklestar,

Yes i think its good idea to send her off myself instead of her going to agy and create more things for us. And i will sure feedback to MOM on this issue.

Thanks for your advise and concern.

Have a great week.

I think most of us would not want maid changes as it may mean a time of upheaval. However, there are some cases where change is necessary.

The world does not revolve around one maid and her willfulness. She has to know that and you have to be confident that your life will become better without all these draining nonsense,

For the next maid, ensure that rules are laid well from the start. NO handphones mean NO handphones. While we embrace humanity and human rights and we in no way subjugate foreign helpers, contracts are contracts and should be clear and tight. Have a witness and an interpreter.

Tinklestar is right that some helpers do choose who they can bully. They see when they can skive, when they can act, when they can steal, when they can lie and get certain things which were originally out of contractual parameters.

Be strong, firm and consistent. No need for scenes of crying and yelling. Doesn't work. Don't waste your time and don't let her waste your time.

When you send her off, ensure you have an agency staff or a competent friend or third party around. Have her sign off that all belongings are packed and salaries taken and that there will be no future claims from her side. Insert that clause that any baseless allegations arising henceforth will be taken seriously.

I strongly recommend looking through her belongings in detail before the CCTV or the like.

Make sure you pay for her ticket home using your visa or MasterCard. You can claim damages and other compensation from her but never the flight ticket.

After escorting her to the airport, ensure she enters the gate and that you or the assigned escort witness her passport getting stamped and she passes through the gate.

In case of any doubt, good to check with MOM for details and advice beforehand to minimize knowledge lack and surprises.

All the best!

I got a Myanmar domestic helper since last October. I must say I am very blessed to get a good one. She is able to speak English and Mandarin. She has initiatives to do all the things she is supposed to and need minimal supervision. Most importantly, she loves and took care of my babies well.
The agency where she is from set 3 rules to all their maids. Rule #1: no hand phone
Rule #2: no time off
Rule #3. No boyfriend
I hope to keep her for another 3-4 years till my kids grow up.

It is called Success Manpower (if I remember correctly), on geylang road. I still have the contact number of the person in charge. Don't think can offer any tips. But what we did was to brief the agency our needs, in sequence of importance. Then she showed us a few maids with those core competencies. We then choose based on gut feels. The rest is really the chemistry between helper and employer already. If you need more info, pm me.

I have just hired a new Myanmar maid. She is from kalay and her parents are both farmers. She has one elder bro and one younger sister. She does not have experience in child care or housekeeping. Never worked as a maid, she is 23 yrs old.

I hired a Myanmar maid cos my current Fili maid's contract is finishing and she wants 4 day off a month, which I am not able to give.

Just now, my current maid told me she wanted to stay on, and is happy with 2 off days. Should I keep her? She is not bad, good with my kids, cooking ok, cleaning ok.

She is supposed to go for transfer interviews this weekend, and my Myanmar maid will arrive next week. What should I do? After reading your posts re Myanmar maids, I am not sure if I will have problems with a new Myanmar maid.

Any advice? Should I keep my current maid?

Back