Abnormalities found during pregnancy

Did anyone terminate pregnancy during beginning of 2nd trimster after finding out that the baby has a high risk of abnormalities - Down's Syndrome?

Hi Katherine,

For my first pregnancy( I was 29), after doing the blood test, I was informed by my gynae that there is a possibility that my baby could be hving Down's Syndrome. I was advised to go for amniotic fluid test, but I didn't go for it cos I do not want to put my baby at risk, as it could cause loss of amniotic fluid if the sac didn't heal well. I thought a lot abt it, and decided to keep my baby.

After the detailed scan at 4 or 5 mths, my gynae told me my baby is normal. The blood test is an estimatation, it shows you the probablity that the baby might hv down syndrome. I told myself that I must be prepared for the worst, as I hv decide to keep my baby. I don't want to kill my own baby just cos of a report which might not be true, or go for the amniotic fluid test to put my baby at risk. If I choose to go for the amniotic fluid test, it's like deciding to abort it if the result is positive. Hope this helps.

Is yr result positive or just a probabilty? Go with yr gut feeling. That's what I did.

hi katherine, during my 20th week of detailed scan, my bb has omphacocele which indicates that he has 1 in 3 chance to be a DS. I was v confused and sad and even do alot of test to see if rally DS (like hole in heart,, kidney prob). During then there was no heart or kidney prob but i was still v confused and after a talk with a gynae consulting me on this matter, i decide to do the amnio test.

I told my hubby that i will keep the bb regardless of the result - but why i still do it? To prepare myself. if the results is +ve to show DS, i have another 4 mths to prepare myself to handle a DS baby. if the results are -ve, i can concentrate on his surgery of his tummy.

there is a 5% chance of miscarriage. I rest alot (took 11 days MC) and avoid walking. To be honest, even after the results are out, my worry is still there, when bb is born the first thing i ask PD is if bb is ok, not DS.

The funny thing is though my bb is not DS, he has some health prob that during the fetal testing during 20th week was not detected - he has multiple holes in the heart and his kidney has to be removed. But I place all these in God's hands cos when I was waiting for the DS results, God told me that "Elisha will be alright". He also conceal the heart and kidney conditions so i have less worries during my last 4mths of pregnancy.

I'm not sure how worried I should be. the gynac said after checks my husband and I are low risk for DS but in the latest scan they found that bb left arm seems to be shorter and they say that its a sign of DS. And I was already in my 29week of pregnancy. The next scan is when bb is around 32weeks so I am still worried. I really don't know how i can take this. Both my HS and I are below 30 and we have no health problems and other than that sign, the gynac says there is no other symptoms. :-(

Dear mummies, although i nvr encounter this situation b4, but i wanted to encourage u all.
Since the scan is juz a probability dun worry so much as ur bb may feel it. In anything pray to God and leave the rest to him. No matter wat we gotta bring them into this world and walk with them.
I had 1 child and trying for another but none.

Hi mummies
Thanks for all your replies. I will be going for my cardio scan this thurs and then amnio test on 28th Jan (right after CNY). I am getting worried by the min. and kept talking to bb to be strong.

I salute mummies here who are brave and strong to bring the pregnancies to full term, despite the results of the test or scan.

So now I am just hoping for the best and that my results will turn out to be ok. I will share in this thread for more updates.

Ping ping,
Mu gut feeling is very haywired now. Mayb I just want to be doubly-confirm that my bb is normal and healthy. So thats the reason that I go for my scan and amnio test.

Vanilla Pod,
God has his ways to make things happen. So glad to hear that your bb is fine.

ew,
Keep the spirit up. so when is your next scan due?

Hi katherine,
my next scan is due on the 19jan and hopefully there is better news. I am also worried, cos I did not manage to confirm my pregnancy until around 2mths plus so I didn't start my folic till then. so worried this might have affect my baby. but I am looking towards the best as previous scans showed nothing negative till nw. Until the next scan. But thank you and rest of the mummies, keep yourself healthy and strong, that is the best thing you can do for your bb.

Understand how such tests can be very stressful. I did a triple-blood test during week 16. Results came out and said I have a 1 in 120 chance to get a DS baby, so gynae said have to do an amnio to be certain. But amnio has a 1% chance of m/c. So after thinking very very long, we decided not to do it as I had a m/c before and I don't know what to do if the results come out positive. SO the next 5 months I was on my toes worrying about how baby will turn out. Thankfully she was borned healthy and is now a 18 month old toddler.

Just be strong - pregnancy is never easy. Whatever choice you make, it's what you deem best for yourself and your baby. Good luck!!

Hi Katherine,
i fully understand the anxiety u are going through now, having gone through it myself before. My blood screening showed that i was at a high risk of carrying a bb with DS last year, and was advised to go for the amnio test. My husband and I decided to go ahead with the test despite being advised of the odds of miscarriage, because this odds is lower than my odds of carrying a DS baby.

We thought that with the confirmation from amnio test, we could either get a peace of mind (if negative result) or plan for the baby's arrival if special arrangements need to be made (positive result). Just ensure that you have sufficient rest after the test, and report back to the hospital/gynae if u experience any symptoms.

Think postive and take care!

Hi all,
Due to some medical history in my family, I also had to take the amniocentsis. But I only took 1 day MC and went to work the day after, the nurse never told me they can give up to 1 week's MC...

Hello,

Chanced upon this thread. Just thought I share my recent experience with my 4th child.

Last year, my husband and I conceived our 4th child. It was really a surprise as we did not plan to have another child after giving birth to three. And just when we thought we could have some semblance of life as we once knew it (before the arrival of kids) as the three kids have become more independent, then came the 4th one! I was 37 years old (last year) when I conceived my 4th child.

Owing to my age, I was considered as having a relatively higher risk for baby being born with conditions such as Down Syndrome. So I went for the screening -- amniocentesis. My husband's and my faith as Christian Catholics forbid abortion unless if the pregnancy poses harm to the mother. So to go through the test was just to get some peace of mind and to be mentally prepared if the baby is diagnosed to have DS. But still we prayed for the best, for which parents would not hope for a normal and healthy baby?

On the day of the amnio test, the hospital had to do an ultrasound scan on the baby prior to drawing the amniotic fluid in order to ascertain the position of the baby among many other reasons. And it was during the ultrasound scan that my unborn child was diagnosed as having a rare condition call sacrococcygeal teratoma (a check on the internet revealed that teratoma is the Greek word for 'tumour monster' owing to the unpredictability of the rate and size of the growth of the tumour and its composition). Basically, my unborn child had a tumour growing from the tail-end of her spine. The lump was already visible even though my baby was still very small at 20 weeks old. I remember vividly the doctor's first words to my husband and I after conducting the ultrasound scan on me for the 2nd time as confirmation. He said solemnly "You know this is not good, right?". As we tried to comprehend the gravity of what the doctor said and to grapple with the various possible outcomes as the tumour grows while baby was still in my womb -- our worlds literally collapsed around us. We were devastated by the possibility that our baby might not survive through the pregnancy as numerous complications might arise as the pregnancy and thus the tumour developed. Complications such as heart failure, edema, bleeding in the brain, pre-term labour, etc could all kill my unborn child. At the same time we were anxious that had our baby survived, would she had to suffer a lifetime of pain and disability. It was a day that we would not forget for the rest of our lives -- it was 1 August 2008, a Friday. It was even more poignant when it was on the same day that I felt my baby moved inside of me for the first time!

The doctor's inability and/or unwillingness to tell us more as to what to expect plus their standard op procedure of asking us, without fail at every of our subsequent checkups, whether we wish to terminate the pregnancy, all added to the sense of hopelessness and helplessness. The days that followed the shocking revelation were spent reading up whatever I could find about the condition on the internet and learnt that statistically, foetuses found to have such condition have a 50/50 chance of surviving through the pregnancy after which would be the risk of delivery with the lump (C-section is the only option) where the tumour might tear and subsequent to the delivery would be the operation to remove the tumour and the coccxy (the tail-bone) and risks associated with such operation on a newborn, etc. I had also read of uplifting stories of survival of babies with such condition on the only support group on teratoma that I could find on the internet but also heart-wrenching stories of babies lost to this condition.

My hunsband and I found ourselves suddenly thrust into an unfamiliar sphere where we had absolutely no control over how things would develop and the eventual outcome as there was practically nothing we or the doctors could do while baby was still in the womb but just to passively monitor the rate and size of the growth of the tumour as my pregnancy progressed. And certainly besides being sad we were also fearful. Hence, we are thankful that we have a faith to fall back on in times like these. Honestly, my maternal instinct of loving unconditionally and protecting my unborn child at all costs did not kick in immediately after the doctor confirmed her condition. In our human weaknesses further crippled by fear, anxiety and on the premise of simply pragmatic but selfish reasons we might have chosen the seemingly more 'practical' and 'convenient' way out by terminating the pregnancy. But thanks to the gift of our faith we did not and decided to subject ourselves to the mercy and will of God. And as soon as we made this decision our fears and anxieties dissipated and peace and the joy from acceptance overwhelmed us.

Our faith and peace grew with each ultrasound scan that was done twice a month, even though the tumour continued to grow rapidly through the subsequent months, we trusted that God would not abandon us. And as we grew to love the growing baby in my womb – whom we later decided to name as Emma (female version of Emmanuel which is “God is with us”) Grace – more with each passing day as her earthly parents, we knew that God loved her even more – many times more.

Baby Emma Grace was 4.5kg at birth with the large tumour on her back accounting for about 1 kg of her birth weight. The exterior mass measured about 15 cm long and was as big as her torso (bigger than her head). At birth with the large tumour on her lower back and buttocks, she was a sight that only her parents could love. She went through a grueling eight hour operation on the 2nd day of her birth to remove the tumour and the coccyx (tailbone) which left her with a surgical wound in the shape of an inverted “Y” stretching from her lower back to both her buttock cheeks. But thanks to God, she made it through the long operation. Although it was a very heart-wrenching sight for any parent to see their tiny baby with so many tubes inserted into her tiny body but her recovery was nothing short of miraculous as she beat the doctor’s initial estimation that she would need to be warded for one month in intensive care following her operation by recovering well enough to be discharged after 13 days! The lab test on the tumour removed from Emma also came out to be favourable (i.e, it is benign). Although, baby Emma has to be closely monitored for the next 3 years of her life against established cancer markers for any relapses, we are extremely thankful for all the blessings that we have already received.

Honestly, a little more than five months ago on that fateful 1st August, my husband and I would never have thought that we could make it this far with baby Emma Grace. We thank the gift of our Christian faith in not succumbing to our initial fears and anxieties and in not choosing the ‘easy-way out’ of terminating the pregnancy even when being asked repeatedly by the doctors and when the outcome seemed to be too challenging and bleak. I remember saying to the doctors (with conviction only at the 2nd or 3rd checkup subsequent to the diagnosis) that terminating the pregnancy is not an option and we would want to at least give our baby a chance to fight this condition. And by God’s grace, what a fighter she turned out to be! Looking at baby Emma Grace now, I really cannot imagine what a colossal mistake we would have made and the consequent lifetime of regret that we would have to bear had we chosen the “more convenient” way out. We thank God for His mercy and love shown onto us and baby Emma Grace.

Sorry that I made you read such a lengthy posting but the purpose for this is hopefully to give some courage and encouragement to those who are in similar situations as what I have gone through. Abortion might seem to be the more practical, more convenient and 'merciful' way out for the unborn child diagnosed with any abnormalities. But the truth can never be masked that abortion is very brutal (as foetuses develop their nervous and sensory system very early in the pregnancy). I know this is easier said than done (I know because I have been through it) and please understand that I am not trying to preach and certainly do not judge anyone who chooses to do differently. But my faith teaches me that " “We do not know what God’s plan is, only that it is PERFECT and it will be revealed in His time.” And “When we can’t see God’s hand, we can trust His heart.” I have kept these words close to my heart throughout my 'ordeal' and it has been an important source of strength and reminder of God’s love for us. I hope these words would also do the same for you..
happy.gif

God bless all of you!

Alicia (Emma's mum)

Hi Alicia,

I am very touched by yr story. You and yr husband are very brave to carry yr baby Emma to full term, cos not a lot of mummies can do that, like me I would not know what to do in yr situation. You are also right to say that we do not know God's plan, I feel it's best to let nature take its course.

I can understand how it feels when we know our unborn baby has the probability to be not normal or healthy. With the advance technology today, it makes us know too much or too early to make decision for our children. If we do not know anything, we will just keep our baby till the day he/she is born. I am really glad that baby Emma is doing well now. How old is she now?

Hello PingPing,

Thanks for taking time to read my posting. Just hope that by sharing my experience with Emma will help to give whatever little 'light' to those in 'darkness' as I have experienced that 'darkness' of fear and anxiety not too long ago and have emerged from it -- not when baby Emma was safely delivered and subsequently pronounced to be well post-op but when my husband and I accepted her condition and surrendered, in faith, to the will of God.

Baby Emma is now almost 2 months old! And all of us, including her three older siblings, dote on her.

So far her monthly blood tests against cancer markers have been favourable, we just continue to pray that she would be fine.

Thanks for your lovely message and concern : )

during my first pregnancy( I was 25plus) tat was two yrs back, after doing the some ultrasound test ard wk 21 they dectected my bb with pelvis dilatation(swell kidneys), I was informed by my gynae that there is a possibility that my baby could be having Down's Syndrome.. my hubby n i was so worried..N i was advised to go for amniotic fluid test so i did it, the results came out to be low risk of down sydrome baby..
Thru out this pregnacy it wasnt rather a smooth one.. i was admitted during the ard wk 10,i got bad cramps for two days w/o but any bleedings.. as docs says i may have ectopic luckily tru the scannings reports docs says its a normal pregnancy.. BUT again cramps happen ard wk 28 tru out third trimster..i got lots of lots contractions complications with countless admitting in labour rms..n with fearful of medications plus drips tru out the whole of third trimester..then at wk 35 when i was again with contractions when i resting @ home..again rush back to hospital n doc done a scan tat my babys weigth is rather heavy enough to delivered tru emergency c-section as its breech.(2.98kg at birth) and scans was oso done on my newborn n the reports came out true enough tat my baby boy has slight pelvis dilatation(swell kidneys)but docs told us not to be alarm/worry too much as the kidneys sizes will be back to normal after a few wks.. After discharge..1wk later i brought him back for review scans baby still some got swelling kidneys..but after frequent appts scans done ..the swell was gone n the kidneys was normal.. Phew..Thank God..
My dear boy now is a happy healthy normal active 2yr old toddler ..

Hi,

Any mummies expecting a baby w Omphalocele or who has had a baby with this condition?
Pls share!

hi dawn -- my boy has this condition. h was born 2 Oct 2008. His omphalocele was detected during the 20weeks scan. then it was 3cm. It did not grow too big and when he was born we did a surgery on his tummy during his 2nd day.

He had a 1 in 3 chance of Down Sydrome. I did an amnio to check - he is ok.

But he has other health conditions that are not shown during the 20 weeks scan which we did 3 times cos of the omphalocele.

if u want u can call me to ask me more abt it cos i search thru this forum before and no other mummies had bb with this condition. The doc say it is 1 in 10,000 babies i think.... u can PM me.

Hi Vanilla pod,

Thanks for the reply, I hope your boy is doing well now.
I too did an CVS to check at 14wks n results were clear.
Where did you deliver? I am at KKH.

Lets talk soon. Thanks!

hi Dawn, I delivered at GlenE and my surgeon for my boy is also at GlenE. Good that ur results are cleared!! Have u arrange a surgeon at KK for the operation?

Hi mummies,
My son was born with cleft lip and palate 9 years ago. Both defects were not detected, so I had a shock. I could not be discharged with him as he had to stay at the KK neonatal care, waiting to see a plastic surgeon. He has his major operations done, now will be waiting for his bone graft op because of a missing bone at the jaw which is common for cleft kids.

When I found myself pregnant 4 years later, I was very worried. A detailed scan done at 20 weeks showed a normal foetus, but I was still very worried until my delivery. When my gal was delivered, the gynae personally checked on her and showed me the THUMBS UP.

hi Janet - u r v brave to have 2nd bb. with my son and his current host of health conditions, i dare not think of 2nd one. DOcs say there is a 5% risk the 2nd child will have these genetics prob... to me 5% is v high

Hi Vanilla Pod, Yes I have arranged for op at KK. I would rather go private, like TMC, but have been advised that kk is best eqiupped to cope with baby defects. Did you do a c-section n was it with GA or epi?
How is your son doing now? Did the doc say if it was genetic related? Cause what I understand is that it can be a genetic or structural defect.

For my baby, the omphalocele is quite big, about 6cm, as her liver is on the outside too.
I am just praying everyday that all will be ok.

Hi Vanillapod,
My 2nd one came unexpected. I didnt dare to think of having another one after my son was born with cleft. I was worried for 9 months. Really stressed then. The sonographer was very kind and knew how worried I was, so she even called in her supervisor to do another scan.

Hi Dawn - I have to do a C section epi os my womb cannot take natural rather than my bb omphalocele. I rem his was 3.3cm when detected at 20th week scan and it did not grow bigger (THANK GOD). So when he grew, that omphalocele sort of become smaller relative to his body growth. My surgeon was not worried at all when he knows it is 3cm++ he say v small.

My son's omphalocele is ok, it is healing v well... it is patched into his belly button so his belly button now looks like a flower -- a bit big but when he grows it will close up further.

All i rem the doc say is "ur child is abnormal"... becos of the omphalocele. I think mine is a structural problem but I will never know cos my son also has heart and kidney detects which my PD finds it weird tog with omphalocele. Do u know how omphalocele comes abt? In my case i think during 8th weeks in my womb, my son's formation is abit slow cos at 8th weeks i almost do D&C if still cannot see heartbeat. So i think alot of cells is used to form his little heart then so the intensines and liver did not clos up into tummy.

It is a personal choice for me not to go KK. I know they have the best op and equipment, but i worry i cannot get the surgeons I want. My son did the omphalocele op on his 2nd day (surgeon say can do 2nd day cos his not too big)...and is supposed to discharge 5 days later.

U can continue to scan the size of the omphalocele and monitor the growth.

Be strong and trust in GOD. I am a christian and i must say God is very kind to me for giving me my baby (even though he has so many health problems).

My no is 96844936 - u can call me if u need to talk abt it.

hi janet - i understand how u feel. that is why i cant pic myself havign a 2nd one. For my first son i will have to wipe out a big chuck of my savings for his operations, so i cannot pic if my 2nd one has same probs how I am supposed to cope. Esp now my job is not stable and my hb is out of job...SIGH!

Hello Vanilla
I am a Aug 09 MTB. I just chanced upon this thread. Can I check with you when u mentioned in your earlier post that your son had a 1 in 3 chance of DS, is that the result from your triple blood test?

I had just received very bad results for my triple blood test too and will be going for amnio on tuesday. Frankly I am a bit worried about the risk of amnio as I had 2 mc before....

hi, pinkmama09 - my triple test was v good, it is the 20th week scan that show that my son has omphalocele and that has a 1 in 3 chances of DS.

Dun worry cos there are alot of pple who has bad results at triple test and did amnio and results are good. Rem triple test is a test on probability only.

Ask ur gynae to give u lots of rest - i took 11 days MC. Also after the test, rest at recovery area for some time. I rested like half a day...nurse was v kind..she gave me biscuits..during mc i just sleep and sit...also my gynae gave me some med (i call them liZard eggs) which helps to prevent contractions. The most impt thing is pray for healing and tell bb to b strong and stay in there....

Thank you vanilla.

Anyway, I will good for a fetal cardiac scan today and see if my risks decreases. Then I will decide on the amnio.

Vanilla,
I am seeing Dr Peter Chew from Gleneagles.
Btw, have u heard of the fetal cardiac scan? Actually it was recommended to me by another MTB from the forum. Her risk reduced to 1:5000 after the scan. ( Her initial OSCAR risk was 1:400+)

no i havent heard abt it... is there risk to it? The word cardiac -- meaning they will scan specifically the heart?

have u talk to Dr CHew and ask him abt it?

Hi Vanilla Pod, i can understand why you did not want to go to KK, thankfully I was referred to a good surgeon for my baby there, so I emailed her personally to make sure that she will be the one to op for my baby when out. Service and comfort level is definitly different with a public hospital. I am still trying to find out why my ob does not want my hubby in for the c-section.
Was recovery from the c-section ok or difficult for you?

According to my gyn, babies getting omphalocele is the luck of the draw, like some say. If it is a genetic problem, then thats how the defect came about, but if its structural, then its the luck of the baby and mom then, not something that we caused to the baby. Most babies, by the 13th wk, the stomach cavity should close, but for babies like ours, they don't.
Actually, in my case, the doc did warn me that if its a structural defect, they are especially careful at scanning the rest of the organs, like the heart.. lungs...etc. So at my 20 wk scan, they carefully looked at all organs plus blood flow for the cord and all organs. Did they do that for you too?
I too am a catholic, and I have to say, if not for my faith, I think i will not be able to cope.
I agree with you, a baby is always a gift from God, and I believe he has his plans for all of us, although we might not always understand it.
I am praying that when my baby comes out, that all her organs will be working well, so they can concentrate on repairing the omphalocele.

How long did your baby stay in NICU n hospital before he was able to go home?

Thanks for all the support.

Hi PinkMaMa, i did a cvs, almost the same as ammio,
and with the cvs they were able to detect that my baby does not have DS.

Good luck and take care

hi DawnC - maybe urs is a GA C section that is y ur ob does not allow ur hb in.. if u do epi c section - ur hb can be allowed in.

Actually i did 2X detailed scan- one at Glen E when they discover the omphalocele and diluted kidneys, then i was refered to Raffles Hos where Dr Tan helped me with another scan to help see rest of organs (then can also ascertain possibility of DS) Then his scan kidneys are ok and also rest of body organs ok... but then when my bb is born, his heart is not ok and his kidneys also not ok. But then i dun blame anyone cos God wants my boy to be special, to be a figher....also during 32 weeks scan i went back to Raffles Hos again to scan.

For the omphlocele surgery, my boy had on 3 Oct and was supposed to be discharged on 7Oct but on 6 Oct his heart condition was discovered. He stayed 2 weeks in NICU after his omphalocele and heart operation be4 he came home with us.

I was lucky cos i bot insurance as my case is IVF and my son's stay in NICU was "subsidised" by $100 per day. But then i still have to pay like $200 per day and other costs. 2 operations + stay in NICU and ICU cost me alot of $ which medisave did not really help.

I know it is easy for me to tell u not to worry, but to be honest it is really nothing much we can do except to pray and trust in the Lord. Enjoy the rest of ur pregnancy, her movements in you and you speaking to her...let her know she is a fighter and all will be well cos God is with her and you.

If you need any help, a ear to listen to your fears or anything, let me know....

Hi Vanilla Pod, How is your boy doing now? Any issues still with his heart and kidneys? I hope all is better and will pray for you n him.

I agree, not much can be done now but to pray.. I am going in for my c-section end of this week, so wish me luck.

Thanks so much for everything

Hi Vanilla Pod, How is your boy doing now? Any issues still with his heart and kidneys? I hope all is better and will pray for you n him.

I agree, not much can be done now but to pray.. I am going in for my c-section end of this week, so wish me luck.

Thanks so much for everything

hi Dawn C - so exciting soon u will be able to see ur darling! M boy is ok now...weight abit slow and heart and kidneys issues are still there. but i am enjoying myself playing and taking care of him though milk drinking can be a challenge

i did the aminocentesis test to confirm whether my bb has DS or not. If have I told my hubby I will not want to keep it. Because I have no courage to do so and I am worried that the baby will not be happy =(

I think the baby is then punishing me. I was induced and then i bled too much, ended a night stay in ICU after doc put me under GA to stop the bleeding.

And double bogus, PD told me my gal has cleft palate! Shock of my life!

Had her palate mended in Jan. I was so afraid of her not being able to talk or speak well but I am happy that at 5 mths she starts to call "mama mum mum". Of cuz I know she's not calling me lar.. But still feels happy! hhhahahah!

But then now at 8 mths she still say the same thing! Oh Oh....

Hi DawnC,

It has been a while. Just thinking about you and your baby. Hope all's well. Do update us on how your baby is recovering.

Katie's mom -- do not worry so much. Children are tougher than we think they are and they are very strong and adaptable (until they became soft and spoilt by doting parents and grandparents :p).

Whatever happens, I am sure your baby girl is grateful for your courage and decision to keep her. Even though there might be challenges ahead as we raise our kids but we in turn have so much to learn from them. So take heart and enjoy the little blessings (our kids) that we get to embrace and tuck into bed every night..
happy.gif

Hi mummies out there

I had detail scan on 21st week and fond that my baby boy had dilated renal pelvis. The doctor told us that its quite common esp for boys and usually it will improve towards the end of prenancy. We double check with gynea and he just told me that its very common and according to my Down Syndrome Test (1:3500) result hence should not be a problem. I asked if there is any scan to be done later stage so that we can know if the condition improved, he answered that NO such scan but only when baby is out then will do test to check. As such, I am quite worried.

Anyone had such condition too? Can you pls share? Thanks

Hi Acneery Gal, I had posted in this forum before on my baby gal. Although the condition is different, but I did check with the Doc at KKH(Clinic C) even as a subsidised patient if I request for a scan with the Doc that is attending to me that day they will provide but you will pay full cost usually around 100plus I think. If you want to be sure you can always check. But at 21st week not too worry they will still do more scans.

I hope this helps.

Oh yes, just an add on. I was also worried but eventually my bb gal turned out alright. Healthy and well. All the best to all the mommies out there! We should always keep positive

Hi Jellybnzw

Thanks for your reply. I guess I have to ask the doctor again. I also know that we should keep positive but its hard to control.

I had my oscar test and the NT is 2.5mm so was asked to do doppler scan to check the heart,done a doppler scan and found TR present...which my ratio for DS from 1:500 turns to 1:27 was really shaken when I heard that it may be DS baby..
Arranged for cardiac scan for the bb heart at 15wks n luckily the sonographer said shld be alrite.But TR is still present.
Was scheduled for amino test in another 1 wks time....
Does anyone have TR in the baby but turns out normal?or have other abnomalties?

hi fatmamalove

Just went for my Oscar test last week, and was told that my chance is 1:35! Am terribly shocked and upset. Meeting my gynae on Wed to discuss. Am currently 13wks+.

Hi Fatmamalove

My gynae has stressed that based on the thickness of baby's neck, the baby should be fine as it is of healthy and normal thickness, but still need to go for the Amino Test to confirm. Am having the test on 25Jun.

How was your test? Ok???

I did the test but still waiting for the result...
Besides the thickness of the bb neck, my bb has TR present...
So not sure will it affect the heart?

Does it hurt??? I mean the amino test, is it painful??? I'm very scare of needles!
Anyway, when will you know the result???

No worries, actually its not really that painful n its fast....
The needle is like the ones we took for blood test...
I am still waiting for my results...such a long wait is making me so anxious...hopefully tomorrow can receive the call from the clinic..

ok, tat's a relief!
how many days do u have to wait for result??
my gynae told me is 2-3days for express service (which needs to pay 200-300 more) or normal service will have to wait for 2wks.

Back