5mg of folic acid

maybe you can ask your GP who gave you the flu medicine and antibiotic?

Personally, I think it's okay, cos I'm sure pregnant women do fall ill once in a while during pregnancy and I know drugs like panadol are okay and wno't harm unborn baby.

ANd there are women who get pregnant without even realising it.Most women don't even realise they are pregnant until they are 4 or 5 weeks! When you ask them if they were ill when they conceived, they prob can't recall.
happy.gif
I know to stay away from party drugs and alcohol when attempting to conceive though.

but I'm not a doctor....

Hi micky,

Nope! I'm not a mummy nor mum-to-be. Hb is a doctor and he tells me what to do, what not to do, what is safe and what is unsafe in the event I am pregnant. But we aren't trying for a kid. I'm roaming this forum to learn more from MTBs and mothers and my options in the event I find myself pregnant. Pregnancy brings about many changes... too many things to do and too little time to make decisions when pregnancy occurs, so I rather absorb knowledge from experienced MTBs and mothers so I'm aware of my options in the event I find myself pregnant.
happy.gif

Hi,

I'm also planning for a baby. Just happened to read tat folic acid cn helps sperm production. I thought only women have to eat tat when planning for a baby. Interesting!>.... tks for sharing the info. hiroda..

btw, just share w hubby; everyday pls take 1 little tablet of folic acid.. gd for ur sperm.. everymorning will reminds him.. haha

Hi!Just passing by,I just wondering that when I'm pregnant the doctors gave me folic acid too and another kind of vitamin.But I seldom eat cos it cause me to vomit.

Is it really necessary to eat it?

Jocelyn,

Must take the folic acid & the rest of the vits your gynae gave you. Good for the baby. you're still at 1st tri? juz curious b cos folic acid was taken during 1st tri & other vits starts only at 2nd tri. folic acid is no longer necessary at 2nd tri since other vits the gynae gave has it.

hi,

when i was pregnant, my gynea prescribed me 5mg of folic acid to take daily. 2nd tri he gave me multi-vits whc incl folic acid. anyway abt the folic acid, he charged me $10 for 30tabs but when i went to guardian pharmacy, they have the exact same type for abt $5 for i think 50tabs. so after i finished wat my gynae prescribed to me i didn't buy frm him again, bought from pharmacy instead. sometimes private docs mark up their meds so much when we can get it them frm pharmacy at a much cheaper price.

Unity is selling 100 tabs of folic acid 5mg at less than $3 so usually for me I bought my own instead of getting from gynea .

i got it from guardian $3 .. forgot how many tabs.. no unity in sight so have to buy from guardian.

i bought 30 tablets for $6 at guardian... then i read here in the forum that 100 tablets can be purchased at $2.50!!!

feel a bit cheated oh well... but surely pills can't be that cheap?

Hi stickymouse,

The unity pharmacy folic acid at $2.50 for 100 tablets is the same one which I got from my gynae at glenE. So it should be fine.

stickymouse,

Folic acid is not an expensive pill. Unity is indeed selling $2.50 for 100 tablets. Even in Australia where medicine is super expensive, 100 tablets of 5mg is only $5AUD which is already very expensive.

Anyway, just to reassure you, my gynae said the Unity brand one is as good as any other brands.

anyone know how many months ahead shd i tk folic acid if i intend to conceive? once conceived still need to continue to tk?

Hi,
In fact how many kinds or brands of folic acid does the Unity/Watson's/Guardian has? I saw it at Watson's at Parkway at 50cents??

My hb is kinda worried with me taking the folic acid without doc's prescription.. he finds it too risky... -_-" I'm trying for a baby next month so i think i can start taking folic acid now? please advice on this.. thanks... confuse!

Folic acid requires no prescription. In fact it's nothing like medication, its just something like supplement, ie. similar to taking Vitamins etc.

Yes, pls start taking folic if u r gonna try for a BB. In fact some books even say it good to eat 3 months ahead of TTC. Scroll up the thread to read more bout the benefits for folic b4 pregnancy.

hi sharon, there's a saying to "spread out" the time of eating "chinese med" and "western med".

I take both folic & bai feng wan. Folic take every day (normally morning). bai feng wan i only take monthly. so depends on why you are taking them too.

i took folic cos i went for pre-conceive checkup and doc advised to take folic once you want to TTC.

hi princessxiaomei, it's ok. my doc prescribe folic acid to me. but after the 1st round, i just bought it without any prescription. it is very cheap and yes you should start taking now.

Hi gals,
I went to Unity and bought their folic acid. 100 tablets for $2.50! Goodness, my GP previously charges me over $10 for 30 tablets, and they are the EXACT same thing. So really should buy from pharmacy if you are thinking of taking folic.

depends on u & ur gynae. many taking it thru out their pregnancy. for my case, my gynae says no need fm 2nd tri onwards since other tabs that's given to me contain the same.

Dear all,

I just taken a HCG test yesterday and it is positive
happy.gif
I am 4 mths pregnant. I have been taking GNC pre-natal multi-vit on and off, not consistent before my pregnancy. I have decided not to continue taking the pre-natal multi-vit as it contains 10000IU vitamin A ( I read from the internet that it is not advisable to take that when one is pregnant). Hence, I am taking the 800mcg GNC folic acid from today onwards.

As I am currently overseas in China(not first tier city), I am quite lost here. Is there any other tablets that I should be taking besides folic acid? Did your gynae advise you?

Another question is what are the typical tests that your gynae carry out for you? Is it too early for ultra-scan now?

hi mummies,
any idea if can take folic acid while breastfeeding? My boy is coming to 2yrs old and am trying to wind him off... super difficult task man!

Dear mummies,

I'm TTC currently so went to the Unity pharmacy to get folic acid. The salesgirl told me that the 5mg tablet is not really meant for preggie or TTC women but more for women with anemia. She said that 5mg is overdose and recommended me another one which is meant for us (only 1mg dosage). The price difference is tremendous!!

5mg (100 tablets) - $2.50
1mg (100 tablets - meant for pregnant women) - $22

Then she also showed me another multi-vits for pregnant women and the folic acid is also 1mg only. What is the difference really? Can I take half a tablet of the 5mg? Anyway, my colleague who is currently pregnant was prescribed the same 5mg tablet by her gynea... So I am really confused. Besides constipation (I heard), what other side effect of "overdosage"?

EiLiYa,
Folic acid 5mg is most needed during 1st trimester. I was taking 2x5mg (from unity) per day as prescribed by my gynae.
When I reach 2nd trimester, I am taking blackmores pregnancy multi-vits which total folic acid dosage is 0.5mg per day.
I do not think folic acid causes constipation. Perhaps the iron/calcium in some multivits will.

Folic acid is an important nutrient for women who may become pregnant, because a woman's blood levels of folate fall during pregnancy due to an increased maternal RBC synthesis in the first half of the pregnancy & fetal demands in the second half. The first four weeks of pregnancy (when most women do not even realize they are pregnant) require folic acid for proper development of the brain, skull, and spinal cordSerious birth defects like neural tube defects are less likely to occur when women take 0.4 mg of folic acid daily. Adequate folate intake during the periconceptional period, the time right before & just after a woman becomes pregnant, helps protect against a number of congenital malformations

From Wikpedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folic_acid

Hi Bakaholic & JJ,

Thanks for the info. I'm just concerned about overdosage and yet the price difference makes it hard to justify why I'll get 1mg dosage for 10 times the price. Anyway, I started to take the 5mg pills today.

Btw Bakaholic, why did your gynea prescribe such high dosage for you in the 1st tri?

I've asked others in my thread & seems like the norm is 5mg. we also asked a sister to check with her gynea when she goes for check up again.

let's see wat the doc say, I rather believe the doc then a sales person

Hi EiLiYa.
My thread sis already checked with her doctor. The recommended dosage of folic is 5mg, she was taking 800 mcg & its too low hence she purchased the 5mg per pc folic acid.

Hope this puts yr mind at ease..

Hi JJ,

Ooh that's great. Means I can save the money and not worry about having to get the one 10 times more costly! Thanks very much! :D

Welcome !
Also great for me !! cos i juz bought a new batch of 5mg folic acid ... can continue eating it

Hi Ladies,

May I know what other supplement is recommended when TTC?
Is there only 1 type of folic acid sold at Unity?

Hi, I just visited 2 pharmacy today and I'm more confused than b4. Other than folic acid, what other supplements do u tk? Iron? Calcium? Or multi vit?
Any brands to recommend?

Eliya,
I guess my gynae is just KS.. My last gynae asked me to take 3 tablets/day!

Sweetsnow,
Are you ttc or already succeeded? If just ttc, just take folic acid, vit C and balanced diet. Unless you are anaemic, no need iron cos it's heaty. I think someone mentioned some conceiving supplements from blackmores. I didn't take those.
If you are expecting, multivits and calcium is required from 2nd trimester onwards.

Aileen,
The folic acid from unity is the same brand from my gynae. What other type of folic acid are you looking for? I guess folic acid is just folic acid, just dosage and brand difference.

Sweetsnow,
I didn't take calcium or iron, even in 2nd trimester. I just take a glass of milk everyday and balanced diet. I get constipation if i take calcium and iron supplements.

Hi hi. May I know what is the brand if the cheap folic acid sold at Unity? I searched the pharmacy, but was only able to find the commercial brands like blackmore which will cost ard $20+

Sweetsnow, its a generic type of folic acid. Just ask the sales person at Unity Pharmacy. They will give u a box printed with Unity logo. 1 box contains 100tabs. $2.52. Produced by Drug Houses of Australia (DHA) and package under Unity house brand. Hope it helps.

Thanks ladies,
I thought Folic Acid only eat one month before TTC, after reading, it is actually 3 months before. Haha... n men can eat it for healthier sperm too. Really interesting. Will start eating soon. Thanks gals, I love this forum. Learned so much.

Hi, I also just bought my 5mg of folic acid at Unity before I chanced upon this thread. I was a little worried that 5mg will be too much so did a check on the net and most said recommended is 600mcg to 800mcg. So is 5mg too much for TTC?

Hi all,

Just happened to chance upon this thread.

Very curious about the recommended dosage of folic acid. I am taking Nature farm for a year now, it costs $16.80 for 120 tablets (before discount). I din know Unity sell so cheap. Moreover, Nature farm's dosage is 400mcg. After reading all these, I really ponder if I am taking enough. I had been TTC for a yr now.

Back