28 mths old only. 90cm tall.. Need EzLink Card?

piyo2mum

Hi Mummies

Please let me know if my girl needs to pay for her ride on MRT and buses when she is only 2 Yrs 4 mths old. But already 90cm tall.

Thanks.

Looks like height is the only yardstick.

From http://www.smrtbuses.com.sg/busguide/faretable.htm:
Children up to 0.9 m in height and accompanied by a fare-paying passenger may travel free. Children above 0.9 m and below 1.2 m in height are eligible for concessionary travel without a concession card. Passengers who are 1.2m and above in height will need to possess a valid concession ez-link card to be eligible for concessionary travel.

Carry him can?
happy.gif

Thanks, mtyh.

So, is it tt I shld be getting for her a child ez-link pass and start paying for her rides already?

I think SMRT shld consider revising the height limit to 1.1 metre instead (same as tt of Taiwan) as the kids nowsaday cld be quite tall for their age perhaps due to the milk powder they drink or the food we feed them.. =)

Hi Leng Leng

Currently, I am either carrying my girl or belt her up in the stroller while passing the MRT gantry.. have not been stopped by any station officer so far.

But I do see some kids around my girl's height walking pass the gantry themselves with a child ez-link pass. Dunno their age though.

they highlighted this in the newspapers.. they said it's something to do with the height of the MRT gantry :p

Heavy to carry everytime my kids loh.

My son has been stopped a few times by the bus driver and MRT stn officer.

No choice just pay loh. I think they shld revise to kids before attending Primary school as FOC, right?

Think if they cld revise the guideline to:-

3 year old and above 1.1 metre

shld be good enough. Reasonable?

The problem is the sensor at the MRT gantries - It's fixed at 0.9m and is to prevent anyone from going by without payment. It's absurd to expect them to change ALL the gantries as they'll probably just have another excuse to raise fares again.

They SHOULD provide a free travel pass for children under 7. Perhaps with registration at a main office and a hefty deposit to prevent misuse, refundable once the child turns 7.

What I did was to just carry my children through when they were still mostly being carried. But once they started walking independantly (about 5 years) I just buy the child ezlink card for train rides. For buses, I don't pay. On trains, I make sure all my kids take up a full seat. On buses, the youngest is always on my lap.

Hippo is right: if you don't have a child ezlink card on standby, you will have to pay adult fare.

Also, you have to sign up with your child's BC# and other particulars to buy the card and only when they are under 7 and you only get one card. (Once I left the card at home and had to pay full fare for my 5 year old!)

The child ezlink is automatically deactivated once the child receives his school ezlink photo pass(plus minus a week). You'll have to bring the old child ezlink to the station office for a refund of existing value.

Hi Mummies,

Me facing same prob too and mine is even more absurd, my gal is just 19mths old but 90cm and the MRT staff actually told me i need to get ticket for her.. so ridiculous.

singlemonof3,

u mentioned tt you only start buying ezlink card for your kids when they turn 5 years old. Can meh? Never stop by the station officer? And the buses oso, if dun pay for them, won't the bus-driver stopped them?

My gal is also on tall side, and she's only reaching 3 at mid of this mth. Kids are taller now, the 0.9m doesn't work
sad.gif

Then those kids, smaller in build, usually shorter too, already age like 4 or 5, no need to pay. Unfair leh. From what I heard from the bus uncles, they said kids over 0.9m or studying in sch (K1, K2) got to pay.

My gal is 4 this yr and she is abt 1.2m but i am not paying and I dun intend to pay till i got stop. My gal like to tap the card for me so i dun know if the bus driver mistaken that my gal is "actually" using a card but infact I was the one paying.

U mean I can get a children Ez link card if i registered them with their BC. Do i need to bring down her BC or she need to be ard?

After that they will deduct child fare from the card?

I didn't know that apply child ezlink card need BC. But only 1 pc? Then quite troublesome, cos my mum sometimes bring my gal out also.

I seldom take my gal on MRT or bus. But my mum does. She also scare wait kena stop by MRT staff/bus uncle.

Originally they insist need BC (my older child) but now just have to fill in BC#, DOB and name as well as your particulars.

Yes, only 1 child ezlink card per child under 7.

It works like a normal Adult ezlink card but with child fares and minimum top up is $5 instead of $10.

Like hong, I don't intend to pay for the bus rides for my youngest unless I am asked to.

MRT is a bit tricky cos of the gantry (the sensor at 0.9m height) and my youngest is a bit too big to carry now so I don't really have a choice but to pay.

Singlemomo,
Is there really a sensor? I cant rbr when is the last time I brot my ger to take train but I usually move very closely with her so after she pass the gantry I will be right behind her and we managed to go thru it.

Yes there is a sensor. It closes the gantry after it is activated. If you move very closely behind the person in front, it MAY detect you as one person. BUT if the station staff see that, they MAY ask you to exit and re-enter. Usually they will close one eye for young children.

I can understand if the 90cm rule is applied to MRT becos of the sensor. But the buses dun have sensor right? So shouldn't they consider revising the height limit upwards for bus travel?

Our boy is 4yo and stands at 110cm, but we still use only 1 adult ez-link card for our transport on public buses and in mrt trains.
Before last year, we were always carrying him when we had to take the bus or train.
I must highlight to my dh about this sensor thing which I am not aware of.
So far so good, we have managed to pass thru the gantry w/o any fuss n we constantly remind our chd that this ez-link card is meant only for 1 person n as such, he had to walk as close to us as possible, inorder not to be penalised.
When taking a bus, we always tell our boy to hold our hand and quickly get on. Worst, he loves to take the 1st seat. So if the driver wants to, he could have stopped us.
I guessed we have been very blessed to have found favour in the eyes of SBS/SMRT staff
happy.gif

I do tell our boy that in time to come, we would have to get him an ez-link card as he is not getting any smaller
sad.gif

Generally, I don't think it is fair to penalise a chd just becoz he is taller than the other kids.
My friend told me that there are actually some typical Chinese food establishments who literally make your chd stand next to the height chart to cfm payment of food based on chd or adult pricing.
Ridiculous?

As long as we can continue with this 1 person ez-link thing, we will do so.

victory: there is no reason for them to revise the limit just for the buses cos it's easier for them to say it's easier to have a blanket ruling, blanket signs/stickers.

Since when have prices for anything DROPPED?

<font color="aa00aa">About the sensor on the mrt gantry comes as a surprise for me, coz all this while, i din aware too.

Few days ago, just realised my ger whom is now 26mths oredy 90cm, and talked to hubby on whether to ger her a pass or not. But is really ridiculous that a kid at this age need to pay as most of the times, my ger will sit in her stroller.

Btw, to apply for the kid's pass, we need to fill up form at the service counter, rite? And we can get the card on the spot?</font>

Felicia,
At one time, our boy was also sitting on the stroller most of the time eventho he had already hit the 90cm mark. We decided we would just continue doing so, until we are stopped.
Well, we managed to do that right until sometime last month when a bus driver of bus 33 told me nicely as I was coming up his bus, that my boy was too tall to go w/o an ez-link card. He expressed concern that I would end up paying more if I were to pay cash for him. He didn't scold us a bit, but spoke very nicely to us.
He said I could go to any ticket counter to apply for the ez-link card.

eventually, my hb and I visited the Redhill Mrt, forgetting that they do not have a ticket counter there anymore. The nice malay lady at the control stn asked for our son's age. I was trying to express the unfairness n before I could continue, she shared that her 10mo boy is alredy 90cm long
sad.gif

She too agreed that the necessary authorities should set the rules based on age and not height.

<font color="aa00aa">Jenny, thanks. Shall apply for my ger by this week in case kena stopped.

miracle bebe, 10mths oredy 90cm??? Tats bit 'kwa zhang' leh.</font>

hi.
we just got a ezlink card for my ger (36mth) just she hit just above the mark.

before that, we aren't stopped, or either that, sometimes she was carried or her shoes taken off.

i think authorities close one eye, if your child is about the stimputed height, but, obviously too tall, will be looked at. but, really, kids nowadays are really tall for their age, i will agree with miracle bebe that should be based on age, not height. or either that they have to review the height limit.

My girl or 21 month is already hitting the mark of 90cm and my girl of 5 years is already 115cm.

I havent pay yet coz I still find them too young to pay for rides. They do not occupy seats anyway, either in stroller or on our laps.

I think they should change the rules to thoes at the age of 7 should start paying for rides.

Right????

princessmw,
You mean you have not start paying for your 5 years old gal? You mean your 5 years old gal will sit on your lap?
Frankly speaking, I think it's too much to ask for age over 7. In fact, I think 4 years old should start paying. I started to pay for my gal when she turns 3.

I bot an ezlink card for my girl when she turn 3 as she hit the mark liao... but oni started paying when she was 4 years old.... still think its unfair for preschool kids to pay though... shld be at least 5 years then pay bah.....

jenny(snowpooher),
My girl 5 years old still want to sit on stroller or on our laps when in the train.

5 years still consider preschooler right??

Anbyway, still find them too young to pay.

Sometimes I feel that using height as a guage does not seem fair cos children of the same age are of differnt height. Those parents with tall child(ren) will be at a disadvantage. Wonder if there is any venue to feedback - LTA? SBS? SMRT?

It's NEVER going to be revised unless they adjust ALL the gantries.

The height is put at 0.9m because that's where they place the sensors to prevent the gates from closing on people.

What we can argue for is cheaper or free child fares distributed by means of personalized cards for each child based on age.

Hmmm...primary school students, secondary and tertiary student are issued with bus cards based on their grade level which is equivalent to age...So abit biased not to do that for younger children like the pre-school/pre-nursery, whatever..No logic.. They really should re-consider/improve the system. Furthermore, young children of these age rarely travel so much. I dun see how these minority group of passengers would help increase their revenue in anyway..

My girl and I were stopped at the MRT gantry twice when she was 4 yrs old
sad.gif

So I think the MRT staff are quite strict with this height requirement.

Wanna start a petition against this rule? I feel it's really not fair to kids of our era. Most of them so tall.
sad.gif

Hey I dun mind to join in!! But someone with good english must write the petition. Hopefully it is as effective as the time when the mums wrote petitions to include them in the 16 weeks maternity leave.

I think it's high time they revise this hight issue. Nowadays our kids are much taller compared to our days.My gal is not even 3 and is above 90cm.

People, this has been discussed to death over the media/newspaper/forums. And the official answer is NO.

It's NEVER going to be revised unless they adjust ALL the gantries.

The height is put at 0.9m because that's where they place the sensors to prevent the gates from closing on people.

What we can argue for is cheaper or free child fares distributed by means of personalized cards for each child based on age.

Understand your highlight about the height revision. Still there are other ways as you mentioned to argue our point i.e. cheaper or free child fares. But have these point being brought out during the discussion over the media/newsapper/forums yar, do you know? I have not been keeping track of the news in the past.

oh, my son is not 17 months old yet and he is 82cm already, so he is going to reach 90cm soon. oh no, then I think i should carry him in my sling if I take bus and put him in the pram if I take mrt. I heard if you go cinema watch a movie if the child is above 90cm he will need to buy a ticket too. I remember last time when i was young my parents didnt buy me a ticket because I didnt occupy a seat in the cinema, I was sitting on my mum 's lap and then sometimes if the cinema is not full, I get a seat too.

The last time I followed the newpapers about the height issue was many many years back already.
There was a Doc mentioned that actually the ave height of the child is not really that tall yet.
I think that is why no increase of the height adjustment.

But I think they should actually if force these tall bb to pay ... should be a quarter of a child fare ... heeheehee

My girl of 23 month already 90cm ...

Think SMRT are really 'ngiao', baby under 70cm also need to pay? Or do they treat it as a 'business transaction' and thus the adult needs to come out with the kid.

See here: http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_367122.html

Made to pay MRT fare for baby stroller
----------------------------------------
I AM a working mother with a seven-month-old baby whom my mother takes care of while I am at work.

I usually take the train from Redhill MRT station, and pass my baby over the gantry to my mother at Clementi MRT station without tapping my card. Then I continue my journey to Yew Tee. In the past few months, this arrangement worked without any problems as I carried my baby in a carrier.

Occasionally, I used a stroller and would ask the MRT staff to open the gantry to allow the baby and stroller to exit. This went on without any hiccup until yesterday, when an MRT officer told me I needed to tap my card to let my baby and stroller exit.

Previously, I was never told that I needed to pay for my baby and stroller to exit the gantry. This is inconsistent customer service.

According to SMRT regulations, children below 90cm in height do not need to pay to ride the MRT. My baby is only 70cm. Does this mean I have to pay the MRT fare for my stroller?

Can SMRT please comment?

Ang Siow Hui (Ms)
-------------------------------------
If this is true, it really puts me off public transport... can see why people prefer to get cars....

I thought I read somewhere that there is a new ruling that if you dun exit the gantry, just wanting to pass things over to the person at the other side. You will be asked to exit the gantry and come in as a new ride or pay a fine or something. I can't remember le...

Back