2016/08 August babies

I think regardless oscar or not they will arrange for u to draw blood leh. To check for thalassemia etc... then give birth how ah? Epidural? Dont worry la!! Look the other side, think about your little one and all will be over v fast. Mummies are brave lol

Oh yes I'm gonna flinched when I see epidural. But if don't take will feel even more painful! Both ways also need to go through so I try not to think so far yet!

Ya mommies all very brave but I feel so lousy even take blood test also like scaredy cat hahaha

I think regardless oscar or not they will arrange for u to draw blood leh. To check for thalassemia etc... then give birth how ah? Epidural? Dont worry la!! Look the other side, think about your little one and all will be over v fast. Mummies are brave lol

If previous check before no need check again right? I also hate drawing blood must pay extra somemore lol

so that's y older the person, the higher the risk?
Thats what I read from several post? Those who are older usually have bad results then make them worry for nothing then they end up do harmony this kind of test then came but alright..

On 26 Jan I'll be at week 12. They queue me for Oscar after I say I wanna do. No leh cause gynae says Oscar will have a scan so I no need to see him anytime so soon. So they reschedule to cny 3rd day.

Oh yeah I want to eat crab too! Salted egg for me! I think baby prefers salty me fried food, very heaty and unhealthy omggg

I doing my Oscar test at 11weeks plus at the same time visit my gynae. He told me it will be a scan and blood test. I have prepare a list of questions to ask my gynae.. lol

By the way my mum reminded me not to eat crab don't know what's the rational behind it also.

I doing my Oscar test at 11weeks plus at the same time visit my gynae. He told me it will be a scan and blood test. I have prepare a list of questions to ask my gynae.. lol

By the way my mum reminded me not to eat crab don't know what's the rational behind it also.
Cause eat crab liao will have itchy hands. Keep wan take things. Crab has "8" hands. Hahaha. But i honestly take its a child thing la! Which child not curious

Can we take tom yam soup? I heard lemongrass cannot. Going bkk...dun wanna skip tom yam!!!

Also, why take cold stuff will bleed? I been drinking cold drinks and eating ice cream! I craved snickers ice cream bar!

Hi all! I am a first time preggie. Just went for my scan on Monday and i am about 6+ weeks. Edd supposed to be 2 Sept but I confirm earlier since going for cesarean due to previous fibroid op (c sec). Super irritated by the stomach. I can't really tell if I am hungry or want to puke. Guess it is part of pregnancy. Is the Oscar test the same as the 1st trimester test?

Can we take tom yam soup? I heard lemongrass cannot. Going bkk...dun wanna skip tom yam!!!

Also, why take cold stuff will bleed? I been drinking cold drinks and eating ice cream! I craved snickers ice cream bar!

Hahaha not say take cold stuff will bleed but we are just scared it might cause bleeding cause cold and 'Liang'. Like if you have stomach cramp during menses, we refrain from cold water.

If you're okay then don't have to be too bothered hahaha

Hi all! I am a first time preggie. Just went for my scan on Monday and i am about 6+ weeks. Edd supposed to be 2 Sept but I confirm earlier since going for cesarean due to previous fibroid op (c sec). Super irritated by the stomach. I can't really tell if I am hungry or want to puke. Guess it is part of pregnancy. Is the Oscar test the same as the 1st trimester test?

Welcome! Eh hungry will cause nausea so do eat something small to prevent yourself from feeling hungry and don't overeat to cause nausea too.

Welcome! Eh hungry will cause nausea so do eat something small to prevent yourself from feeling hungry and don't overeat to cause nausea too.
Not sure if I am doing it right. Dinner just milo and a slice of bread. I keep thinking that I am not eating enough. But so hard to stomach food. Everything just taste too salty or sweet

Yes i think it is the same. Kkh calls it first trimester screening. I asked the nurse is it oscar? She says yes it is same thing, some places call it oscar but in kkh is fts.

I actually wanted to opt out of oscar and do paranoma instead. But the nurse keep telling me this is not advisable as paranoma doesn't have scan, and scanning of features is just as important, though paranoma is 99% whereas oscar is 90% accuracy. So in the end i chose to do oscar test (so worried abt all the fake positives i have read on this forum), and hope the results are favourable. Btw the fts at kkh is blood test + scan. Blood test will draw one syringe, i drew 3 syringes cos doc requests to do the antenatal blood tests as well (blood count, HIV...etc).

Yes i think it is the same. Kkh calls it first trimester screening. I asked the nurse is it oscar? She says yes it is same thing, some places call it oscar but in kkh is fts.

I actually wanted to opt out of oscar and do paranoma instead. But the nurse keep telling me this is not advisable as paranoma doesn't have scan, and scanning of features is just as important, though paranoma is 99% whereas oscar is 90% accuracy. So in the end i chose to do oscar test (so worried abt all the fake positives i have read on this forum), and hope the results are favourable. Btw the fts at kkh is blood test + scan. Blood test will draw one syringe, i drew 3 syringes cos doc requests to do the antenatal blood tests as well (blood count, HIV...etc).
Thanks for the info! I am at sgh so I guess it's the same as well. A bit reluctant to do it though. Logic being why make myself worry for nothing. I did the blood test on Monday and to be honest I was wondering whether that was even necessary

Thanks for the info! I am at sgh so I guess it's the same as well. A bit reluctant to do it though. Logic being why make myself worry for nothing. I did the blood test on Monday and to be honest I was wondering whether that was even necessary

Ya, im also abit reluctant. Maybe becos my mindset is oscar test is pretty useless, might as well just do paranoma/harmony. But the nurse keep feeding information until i also blur liao...then dont know which to take. Then just follow their recommendation, do oscar. If results not favourable (cos oscar takes in age as a factor, and im 37 liao), then i will do the paranoma test. Haiz pray hard that the result is ok...if not gonna spend alot money again.

Ya, im also abit reluctant. Maybe becos my mindset is oscar test is pretty useless, might as well just do paranoma/harmony. But the nurse keep feeding information until i also blur liao...then dont know which to take. Then just follow their recommendation, do oscar. If results not favourable (cos oscar takes in age as a factor, and im 37 liao), then i will do the paranoma test. Haiz pray hard that the result is ok...if not gonna spend alot money again.
Exactly. So I was thinking don't bother doing. Really worry for nothing. I read so many cases of unnecessary scares. I wouldn't want to go through that myself. And not cheap at all! Harmony is 1k plus. I was in shock!

Hihi.. I think we are about the same time. Haha... :)
I will also be going for c-sec... I also had a frbod op before I gave birth to my 1st one... :)

Actually when u have the puke feeling is cos u r hungry already... Like that they in Chinese.. "Hai xi"... Eat smaller meals and more frequent. Slowly u will get used to it. :)

Not sure if I am doing it right. Dinner just milo and a slice of bread. I keep thinking that I am not eating enough. But so hard to stomach food. Everything just taste too salty or sweet

Actually it's all up to you, whatever that you can take. I used to drink Milo for dinner too cause cannot take any food. I feel no point forcing and make myself feel sick.

Hihi.. I think we are about the same time. Haha... :)
I will also be going for c-sec... I also had a frbod op before I gave birth to my 1st one... :)

Actually when u have the puke feeling is cos u r hungry already... Like that they in Chinese.. "Hai xi"... Eat smaller meals and more frequent. Slowly u will get used to it. :)
Wah. So glad there is someone that knows how I feel. Any idea if the pain will be lesser than the fibroid op? I was in constant pain then. And had to be jabbed morphine until I hit the daily limit. I am praying hard that giving birth will not be as bad.

On the hungry part, I think I am hungry. But my stomach is not digesting very well. 9am grapefruit I can still puke out at 2pm. I was wondering if it is because of excessive gastric juice that caused this

Actually it's all up to you, whatever that you can take. I used to drink Milo for dinner too cause cannot take any food. I feel no point forcing and make myself feel sick.
even milo also feel like puking. Just trying very hard to control. But I still do feel hungry

Wah. So glad there is someone that knows how I feel. Any idea if the pain will be lesser than the fibroid op? I was in constant pain then. And had to be jabbed morphine until I hit the daily limit. I am praying hard that giving birth will not be as bad.

On the hungry part, I think I am hungry. But my stomach is not digesting very well. 9am grapefruit I can still puke out at 2pm. I was wondering if it is because of excessive gastric juice that caused this

Actually it's the same kind of pain. Cos the cut will be the same.. For me, my fribod op I was under GA.. Cos my fribod was very big ( like a small soccer ball), so after that all my kids were delivered via c-sec.. So in a way, I've been cut for 4 times Liao. The thing abt it is, u will need to get over the GA effect after the c-sec... U need to sleep it over.. Sleep until u no longer feel naseau or giddy. Then getting down from bed will be the next challenge. Once u can get down from bed.. Then it will be okay le.

Another impt thing is the abdominal binder. Once they brought me back to the ward, the nurses will normally tie the Kotex maternity pad on u. (This one is using string and normally only use in hospitals. Cos once we r back home we use those normal maternity pads that can stick on e panty.. ) after the nurses finish I will ask them to put on the binder for me. This is very very important! Cos it supports your wound and also u will find that the pain is not that bad with the binder. Without the binder it's really painful. I only took painkillers. And the binder I wore it throughout my confinement and even after that. I think I wore it for 3 mths. Even at night when I sleep. :)

One thing I learnt is, the nurses will always tell u.. Must latch the baby asap... For my 1st one I didn't rest and after that when the GA effect wore off slowly, I started puking and felt giddy... So from then on, I always rest and sleep until e effect is over then after that i can concentrate on latching baby. Of cos I will make sure I see baby first (while like drifting in and out of sleep) before I fully rest. Normally when u r back in the ward, abt half an hr to an hr later they will push baby to u Liao... Depends on e hospital and also if baby's body temperature is warm enuff.. If not have to stay under warmer.. :)

One thing I learnt is, the nurses will always tell u.. Must latch the baby asap... For my 1st one I didn't rest and after that when the GA effect wore off slowly, I started puking and felt giddy... So from then on, I always rest and sleep until e effect is over then after that i can concentrate on latching baby. Of cos I will make sure I see baby first (while like drifting in and out of sleep) before I fully rest. Normally when u r back in the ward, abt half an hr to an hr later they will push baby to u Liao... Depends on e hospital and also if baby's body temperature is warm enuff.. If not have to stay under warmer.. :)
Thanks so much for being so detailed! I had 3 huge fibroid's too. Doc said was more than a 4 month baby. I didn't feel nauseous from the GA though. More like pain. I woke up in utter pain. Good thing I didn't puke. I can't imagine what kind of pain that would be

Thanks for reminding! I still have my binders from the op. Give birth must total GA ah? I thought can do partial?

Thanks so much for being so detailed! I had 3 huge fibroid's too. Doc said was more than a 4 month baby. I didn't feel nauseous from the GA though. More like pain. I woke up in utter pain. Good thing I didn't puke. I can't imagine what kind of pain that would be

Thanks for reminding! I still have my binders from the op. Give birth must total GA ah? I thought can do partial?

Partial will be epidural.. My gynea told me.. Y u wanna suffer. Cos u can hear wads going on etc.. So he said, just go in sleep and wake up. Haha... :)

Hi mummies, any one has any friends in NYC who know of a good gynae to recommend? I'll be heading there for a course in Feb and that's the period where im supposed to go for the OSCAR scan so im looking for recommended gynaes in NYC so tt i know who to go to if there's any problem or discomfort while im there.

Exactly. So I was thinking don't bother doing. Really worry for nothing. I read so many cases of unnecessary scares. I wouldn't want to go through that myself. And not cheap at all! Harmony is 1k plus. I was in shock!
I chose not to do it. My husband asked me why and I asked him whether he wants to abort the baby if the results are not good. I felt that even if baby has down syndrome, I would still keep baby so no point doing

Reactions: KWL

Hi,

Personally i think Oscar is a great test to begin with for mummy that are below 35 yrs old.

I chose not to do it. My husband asked me why and I asked him whether he wants to abort the baby if the results are not good. I felt that even if baby has down syndrome, I would still keep baby so no point doing

I agree totally with you. If your hubby & yourself have already made up your mind to die die also must give birth to this baby, tell your Gynac about your decision and tell him to skip all these test because whatever the finding is irrelevant for you, you might as well spend the $$$ to buy tonic to keep your body in tip top condition.

Cheers

Can i be added to the fb pg too? [email protected]
I'm currently at week 10 and going for my second appt with dr lawrence ang. Is it safe to announce pregant news after the scan if baby heart is still detected and beating well?

Partial will be epidural.. My gynea told me.. Y u wanna suffer. Cos u can hear wads going on etc.. So he said, just go in sleep and wake up. Haha... :)
I just wanted to hold baby asap. Hahahaha.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts aaa111 and blackcanary. This was what I thought exactly so no point doing. ;)

I am considering the tests and gynae assistant was telling me about Oscar/harmony/panorama test, she highly recommended me to take the latter 2 which are much more exp because she says Oscar are not very reliable, 90% only. hence I am confused and felt so much better after reading the latest threads on these, as I almost wanted to decide on panorama straight. I am hitting 30 and supposed I will just go for the Oscar and hope it will turns out well :)

I am considering the tests and gynae assistant was telling me about Oscar/harmony/panorama test, she highly recommended me to take the latter 2 which are much more exp because she says Oscar are not very reliable, 90% only. hence I am confused and felt so much better after reading the latest threads on these, as I almost wanted to decide on panorama straight. I am hitting 30 and supposed I will just go for the Oscar and hope it will turns out well :)

Yeah just take Oscar first, if results okay then no need worry. That's what my gynae says too. And I think 90% is very high successful rate. Maybe different story for mommies whose age is bigger. Since now you've decided then just go for Oscar.

I never think so much, I read about about the differences and asked my gynae which one is good enough for me then I go for it. Don't stress so much first :)

I totally feel you! I am from the July group and a first time mum. I didnt take any tests for the same reasons.

And not to mention - any negative results will only affect your emotions for the remaining journey. I'd rather be a happy mum than a paranoid mum.

The only down side for not doing the test is that many in my group now know their baby's gender, while mine is still in suspense.

Good things are definitely worth waiting for . . .

hi blackcanary, you are a great mother.

however, it is a must for high-age mothers (above 35) to do any of the test right?

however, it is a must for high-age mothers (above 35) to do any of the test right?
Thanks. Every woman is a great mother. You will love your child even if he or she is a special need child because God only gives special children to special people. :)
I think it's not a must to do but highly encouraged (by the government) because the risk of chromosome defects is higher for older mums.

I totally feel you! I am from the July group and a first time mum. I didnt take any tests for the same reasons.

And not to mention - any negative results will only affect your emotions for the remaining journey. I'd rather be a happy mum than a paranoid mum.

The only down side for not doing the test is that many in my group now know their baby's gender, while mine is still in suspense.

Good things are definitely worth waiting for . . .
I went for Oscar with my first born and after doing it I realise that it was just a waste of my time and money because the result will not affect my choice. But as a new mum, I'm super obliging and just said yes when the counsellor push the test for me. So kudos to you for going against the trend.
It's actually quite sad that nipt for down syndrome is becoming almost like a part of a routine check up for pregnant mums because it's not a check up on public health but a check up to eliminate a certain group of people.

I went for Oscar with my first born and after doing it I realise that it was just a waste of my time and money because the result will not affect my choice. But as a new mum, I'm super obliging and just said yes when the counsellor push the test for me. So kudos to you for going against the trend.
It's actually quite sad that nipt for down syndrome is becoming almost like a part of a routine check up for pregnant mums because it's not a check up on public health but a check up to eliminate a certain group of people.

They make it optional but I think sometimes we read a lot so we tend to want to know as much as we could.

If parents think no matter what they will keep the child, of course can go ahead and skip that. In fact skipping will be good too. No stress and enjoy whole pregnancy stages :)

They have this test to let people who might be at risk to test. But it's always we like to scare ourselves unnecessarily.

You know if the baby is not-so-well, at least you have the decision of choosing. Cruel but it lies with the parents rather than after born, they grumble and regret having a child who has DS.

So there are pro and cons, just be sure of what we are going for then all will be good yea? All mommies are brave, no matter of what decision they do. I feel our mothers so brave after going through pregnancy stage myself.

This MS is making me so bad, I wonder how our mothers go through without in laws or whatever medicine and technological stuff to help. Salute :D

I think it's good that we have a choice to do prenatal test cos there are parents who would want to know. I just don't like how the government hospital is pushing for people to do it. There are a lot of prenatal test like thalassemia which they only promote by giving you a brochure. Yet for DS test, they asked you to go into a councelling room and explain what DS is. It just gives you the feeling that DS is something not desirable. That's what I experience in KKH. I hope it's not like that at private clinic.
Anyway, hope that your MS is better. Once we cross the first tri, we will feel much better.
They make it optional but I think sometimes we read a lot so we tend to want to know as much as we could.

If parents think no matter what they will keep the child, of course can go ahead and skip that. In fact skipping will be good too. No stress and enjoy whole pregnancy stages :)

They have this test to let people who might be at risk to test. But it's always we like to scare ourselves unnecessarily.

You know if the baby is not-so-well, at least you have the decision of choosing. Cruel but it lies with the parents rather than after born, they grumble and regret having a child who has DS.

So there are pro and cons, just be sure of what we are going for then all will be good yea? All mommies are brave, no matter of what decision they do. I feel our mothers so brave after going through pregnancy stage myself.

This MS is making me so bad, I wonder how our mothers go through without in laws or whatever medicine and technological stuff to help. Salute :D

There is a detailed scan at around 20 wks.. Today was discussing with one of my pregnant colleague and she also feels that the detailed scan will be able to tell you better. Because that scan they will measure the spine, the thickness of the neck, the nose bridge... All these will be able to tell u if baby is normal or not.. It's in the recent yrs that there are more and more of this kinda tests that let u test for DS etc.. It's pretty stressful for us... :(

I think it's good that we have a choice to do prenatal test cos there are parents who would want to know. I just don't like how the government hospital is pushing for people to do it. There are a lot of prenatal test like thalassemia which they only promote by giving you a brochure. Yet for DS test, they asked you to go into a councelling room and explain what DS is. It just gives you the feeling that DS is something not desirable. That's what I experience in KKH. I hope it's not like that at private clinic.
Anyway, hope that your MS is better. Once we cross the first tri, we will feel much better.

Whoa seriously!? To the extent of going to a room just to talk about it? Like so serious.. My gynae just casually mention to me and ask if I wanna do. Sorry to hear that you have a bad experience there..

Yeah I can't wait to feel better! I kept telling myself soon soon..

Hello,

If a 35 year old mummy tell the nurse she got no $$$ to do any of the test, i am sure the nurse will immediately swallow the word "Must"

There is a detailed scan at around 20 wks.. Today was discussing with one of my pregnant colleague and she also feels that the detailed scan will be able to tell you better. Because that scan they will measure the spine, the thickness of the neck, the nose bridge... All these will be able to tell u if baby is normal or not.. It's in the recent yrs that there are more and more of this kinda tests that let u test for DS etc.. It's pretty stressful for us... :(

Hello,
i am not 100% sure but i think the main objective of the 20week detail scan is to check on the development of the baby. To terminate after 20 weeks carry greater risk for the mummy. That i think is why some of these expensive test can be done as early as 9 weeks.

Also the longer the baby in our tummy, the more affection you will have develop with the unborn, it might make hard decision hard to take.

Oh no need blood test!? I thought is check many things from drawing of mommy's blood?

I will be doing my oscar scan on 19th jan and on top of that, i need to do a blood test too...
Very stress cause I am very afraid of injections. The doctor even stress that its necessary as its my first pregnancy and I am 35 years old....

Hello,
i am not 100% sure but i think the main objective of the 20week detail scan is to check on the development of the baby. To terminate after 20 weeks carry greater risk for the mummy. That i think is why some of these expensive test can be done as early as 9 weeks.

Also the longer the baby in our tummy, the more affection you will have develop with the unborn, it might make hard decision hard to take.

i had a fren who went thru OSCAR, Amniocentesis before taking the Harmony test. Ended up, all results were no good and she aborted the baby. Because the Harmony test needs abt 2 wks for the results to come back, when she aborted the baby she was already 20+wks. She went thru the entire birth process.. was very heartbreaking.

So mummies, decide carefully.. :)

Back