(2014/10) Oct 2014 Mummies

@beac

Thanks for the info. It's helpful for me as this is my first time to store my BM.

My LO jaundice level drop but not the safe level yet. I'm actually cutting down my ginger & wine intake too. Liver function test done, everything is fine.

Just to check for bb w jaundice, is It necessary to go for further check ? Bb went to check up after discharge from hospital, tested jaundice level at 12.4. The doctor nvr request for further check already . Ask me to continue to sun her. I m thinking, how to know if the jaundice level is ok now?

@beac

Thanks for the info. It's helpful for me as this is my first time to store my BM.

My LO jaundice level drop but not the safe level yet. I'm actually cutting down my ginger & wine intake too. Liver function test done, everything is fine.

If all is fine. Shld be ok to continue BM. you can check with the doctor just in case ;)

Just to check for bb w jaundice, is It necessary to go for further check ? Bb went to check up after discharge from hospital, tested jaundice level at 12.4. The doctor nvr request for further check already . Ask me to continue to sun her. I m thinking, how to know if the jaundice level is ok now?

How many days now? How's the color of baby face? Sometimes hard to tell by appearance. Would advise to check with doc & get the latest jaundice level. At least to make sure the jaundice level not going up but if drop, then it's good sign. It will continue drop. Safe level is 6. My LO jaundice level at 12.9 on 4th day. We have went back review every twice a week. Today at level 10 on her 17th day. Next week another checkup..

Where did u go for the check? Is it possible to walk in to any Polyclinic? She was 12.4 on 7th day. Today she is two weeks old. I can't tell from her appearance leh, no doubt she don't look yellow. Her whites of the eyes are clear thou

Where did u go for the check? Is it possible to walk in to any Polyclinic? She was 12.4 on 7th day. Today she is two weeks old. I can't tell from her appearance leh, no doubt she don't look yellow. Her whites of the eyes are clear thou

My baby white eyes also clear but her jaundice level up to 12.9 & every time we go back check, it drop v slow. So doc suggest to do liver function test to make sure her liver is fine.

Ya, u can bring her to polyclinic to check. Just walk in & the whole process ard 1 hours depends on the crowds. All the charges cost ard $15 including consultation & lab test.

@popie

Sorry, unable to open the link. Which brand u using? Actually my milk supply is not that much yet.. Just that now I have to store my Breast milk as my LO still have jaundice. So I feed my LO 20% of BM & 80% of FM. Those extra BM thinking of keep it till her jaundice level totally drop to safe level then will feed her.

Angel_loi. I pm u. I post the link and it got automatically blanked out.

@popie, u mean baby facing sideway, the labour will take very long?? My baby is facing sideway i believe coz he always kicking of of my side.. im week39 le, still no news yet too.. planning to request doc to induce on the 2 or 3 days earlier...

Jaundice cannot take bm??

Duno leh. My #1 was facing sideways though the rest of the body was facing down. Apparently the hand also in some funny position. Gyne just said to push harder. But my dilation also v slow. #2 position all right n everything was super fast. Admit at 6cm, baby was out in less than 2 hrs. Now #3 taking her own sweet time. :)

Anyway if you all wana read about BM induced jaundice can read here
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000995.htm

My #1 was jaundiced for a month plus. Levels not high but took v long to fully subside. PD was happy for me to continue with TBM. I latched and didn't give any formula. But the article did say if jaundice level high shld use FM until jaundice subside then switch back to BM.

For me I was just stubborn. V scared that supply will drop plus scared engorged so I just insisted on latching. #2 no jaundice so ok. TBM until I got no more supply:

@verine22

I heard if baby have jaundice, reduced the BM & feed more on FM every 2 hours. Doc did mentioned before too. It will helps to reduce jaundice level.
My little girl is having jaundice too. The pd told me maybe due to insufficient fluid cos she is bf and suggested to supplement with fm. Im fine with the idea but still will express bm for her. I would still like to latch her on cos latching simulate more than electric pump.

My first time trying to express milk (3rd day of delivery) via electric pump is quite demoralising cos is like after 30min from each side only has 10droplets collected in the bottle. Imagine my girl drinking only that amt for the past few days. However, I was reminded that the newborn was fed every 2hrly to that amt. Hubby also reminded me not to be so stress abt bf. Will be getting fm for her once she discharge while I try to latch on/express milk.

Lactation consultants told me if I want to continue to latch on, for fm try to feed by using cup feed, syringe but not bottle feed.

I will still continue to express milk while LO is hospitalise to simulate milk and prevent engorgement. I threw away those droplets of milk too :(

Thanks lala.

So when you in hospi, dont need to latch on at night??

You still latch on but not 2hourly feed instead 4 hourly feed at night. Try to adjust the feeding time such that you can have a good sleep throughout too.
eg, my last feed at 10pm, next feed at 12mn, following feed is at 4 or 5am if bb never cry for milk. Well, the night nurse will bring bb in somewhere near morning time so that I have enough sleep too. I hope I can follow such routine too. Not to tire myself and still continue to bf.

@littlefish866

Yes, agreed. Jaundice baby must fed every 2 hours to make sure their body is not dehydrated. I'm still fed my LO with BM but through pumping due to I have inverter nipples.

My little girl is having jaundice too. The pd told me maybe due to insufficient fluid cos she is bf and suggested to supplement with fm. Im fine with the idea but still will express bm for her. I would still like to latch her on cos latching simulate more than electric pump.

My first time trying to express milk (3rd day of delivery) via electric pump is quite demoralising cos is like after 30min from each side only has 10droplets collected in the bottle. Imagine my girl drinking only that amt for the past few days. However, I was reminded that the newborn was fed every 2hrly to that amt. Hubby also reminded me not to be so stress abt bf. Will be getting fm for her once she discharge while I try to latch on/express milk.

Lactation consultants told me if I want to continue to latch on, for fm try to feed by using cup feed, syringe but not bottle feed.

I will still continue to express milk while LO is hospitalise to simulate milk and prevent engorgement. I threw away those droplets of milk too :(

Actually first few weeks the expressed BM amount is quite little. Until you establish supply the flow is v slow. More effective to hand express. And don't throw away any BM ESP in the first month. It is very high in colostrum. Best parts of the BM.

My #1 I was inexperienced. Keep pumping using electric pump in the first week. No milk came out after half an hour. But after that severe enforcement. Pain like duno what. Went LC and realized my milk ducts were blocked. Needed to alternate hand express and bb latch to release the milk. After that pumping was more successful. But also not alot, abt 30ml at max after 15-20min of pumping at the end of week 3.

Don't stress abt the milk. First month if you latch 100% usually not so much excess to pump. If have is a bonus, means you have alot of supply. Monitor bb intake by looking at number of wet diapers. I use cloth nappy in the first 2 mths when bb was jaundiced. So I know how much bb pee.

Hi dear mummies,
May I know where can I get cheaper or budget wen dong ginger in Singapore ?
I'm currently doing my confinement.

Thank a lot to all reply in advance.
Thanks again~

For me is different.. my girl refused to open her mouth big. . So latching on is a prob.. and bcos of this my nipples are always sore and she din get a single drop of milk
So i express out my bm and bottle feed her and i went to see lactation consultant too.. but she still refused to open her mouth big.. and she is impatient.. maybe because she is used to the flow fr the bottle. So now I'm giving her bm from the feeding cup.. will try to latch her on when i gather enough courage to try again..

@popie, I still can drive but hubby said I road hazard. Lol. I m on hospi leave but like u say weather v hot and not a drama person so time really passes slowly. Still working from home.

Angel, I hardly use milk bag as my no. 1 don't like the thaw taste. Some bb r like that. Prefer fresh milk.

For me is different.. my girl refused to open her mouth big. . So latching on is a prob.. and bcos of this my nipples are always sore and she din get a single drop of milk
So i express out my bm and bottle feed her and i went to see lactation consultant too.. but she still refused to open her mouth big.. and she is impatient.. maybe because she is used to the flow fr the bottle. So now I'm giving her bm from the feeding cup.. will try to latch her on when i gather enough courage to try again..
Totally understand. My #1 also. Need to force her to open her mouth. Need to sometimes use nipple to tease her to open. Or tickle side if mouth. I was latching with sore nipples. I think I was really quite stubborn then. I tolerated the pain n continue to latch. In between feeds just keep putting nipple cream. Actually you can clean your nipple after feeding then squeeze abit of fresh milk out and apply around your nipple. Helps to heal quickly. Natural moisturizer.

Once bb learns how to latch will be a breeze. Be encouraged. Your first time feeding, also bb's first time latching. Both of you are new. And you are a team. Talk to bb when you latch. And most importantly don't give up. You will be surprised at her response. Very rewarding.

The thing I look forward to is breast feeding. Although I only had enough supply to last 7mths for #1 & #2 but I totally enjoyed the latching process. Somehow I feel very close to my kids. Hehe.

@popie, I still can drive but hubby said I road hazard. Lol. I m on hospi leave but like u say weather v hot and not a drama person so time really passes slowly. Still working from home.

Angel, I hardly use milk bag as my no. 1 don't like the thaw taste. Some bb r like that. Prefer fresh milk.

@leocub haha. True lor. Wana drive can la. Just dun wana go into labour in the middle of the road. Then siao liao. Duno call ambulance or tow truck. Hahaha.

Ya. I am working also. Everyday chk emails on phone. Different from going to work though.

Hi mummies, sorry to interupt. Are any of you bf-ing?

Your best friend on the breastfeeding journey!

Medela Purelan 100 Nipple Cream is specially formulated to protect your nipples from dryness and sensitivity by replenishing the natural oils depleted through frequent sucking in breastfeeding. These problems, which are frequent occurrences during breastfeeding, can severely hamper your breastfeeding routine and comfort. Medela Purelan Nipple Cream contains 100% pure lanolin (wool wax) without any artificial additives or preservatives. This means it doesn't have to be removed before breastfeeding and is safe for your baby! The Medela Purelan Nipple Cream is so safe, you can even use it on your baby's skin and apply to other dry skin areas.

medela-purelan-100-nipple-cream-500-jpg.398555

Why we love this product:

1. Ideal soothing for sensitive or dry nipples
  2. Convenient and multi-tasking product! Can be applied on other areas too!
  3. Helps make your breastfeeding journey a smoother and less painful one!
  4. Instant relief on the go!
letting go a 100g (L size) tube that was used only 3 times, for only $10 at half price OSP $19.90, collection at tiong bahru/raffles place/toa payoh (sun only). expiry is in Mar 2016. Pls PM if interested. thanks :)

Thanks @angel_loi @lala @beac @verine22 @littlefish866 @Rhonna!

@verine22 I was admitted at 9.15am then dr Adrian came in shortly to break my water bag >.< damn pain! the whole fist go in (hope I don't scare anyone off). But he was nice to say sorry, ask if I'm ok. After that, a senior nurse came to shave and inject the medicine to soften the stools. Then I went to pass motion and went to the delivery suite to wait Liao. That was around 9.45am. They inserted the drips then contraction started every 4 mins once. Pain threshold was about 2-3 out of 10 then I requested for epi when it got to 7-8. Then a doc came to inject the epi around 11.45am. Dilation was at 3cm from the time I admit until about 3.25pm. Then they checked one more time say almost there and quickly prepare to push Liao. Dr Adrian came in about 5 mins later then the whole pushing process started and out came baby at 3.42pm with the help of vacuum coz I couldn't feel anything coz of epi and the nurses were helping to push baby out by pressing my tummy then doc say heartbeat weak I nearly panic. But steady la dr Adrian. Very calm. Baby out, then he stitch back and left already.

Congrats! @silentlove. Strange that the doc breaks your water bag before the nurse shave & let u pass motion first.
What a scare I can imagine when he said bb heartbeat weak. U same as me, over effect of epi.. Cannot push so need to rely on the midwives to do the pushing of the tummy. I can feel the bruise a few days later.

Totally understand. My #1 also. Need to force her to open her mouth. Need to sometimes use nipple to tease her to open. Or tickle side if mouth. I was latching with sore nipples. I think I was really quite stubborn then. I tolerated the pain n continue to latch. In between feeds just keep putting nipple cream. Actually you can clean your nipple after feeding then squeeze abit of fresh milk out and apply around your nipple. Helps to heal quickly. Natural moisturizer.

Once bb learns how to latch will be a breeze. Be encouraged. Your first time feeding, also bb's first time latching. Both of you are new. And you are a team. Talk to bb when you latch. And most importantly don't give up. You will be surprised at her response. Very rewarding.

The thing I look forward to is breast feeding. Although I only had enough supply to last 7mths for #1 & #2 but I totally enjoyed the latching process. Somehow I feel very close to my kids. Hehe.
This is my #2.. i dun hv issue with my #1.. and i enjoy bf my #1.

#2 quite stubborn and demanding.. lol.. i think she just wan to suck my nipples to go to sleep.. but if no milk she will cry very angrily.. sigh..

I am still trying.. hope i will succeesfully latch her on and feed her soon...

Hello all mummies/mummy to be
I have just delivered my 3rd boy on 1st Oct :) and look forward to learning /sharing with the group.

On Breastfeeding - it's a journey for me too, first baby didn't succeed, second baby I managed to total bf 1 yr, now I struggle to "figure" out how to do it yet again... Dun give up mummies!

@verine22 I was admitted at 9.15am then dr Adrian came in shortly to break my water bag >.< damn pain! the whole fist go in (hope I don't scare anyone off). But he was nice to say sorry, ask if I'm ok. After that, a senior nurse came to shave and inject the medicine to soften the stools. Then I went to pass motion and went to the delivery suite to wait Liao. That was around 9.45am. They inserted the drips then contraction started every 4 mins once. Pain threshold was about 2-3 out of 10 then I requested for epi when it got to 7-8. Then a doc came to inject the epi around 11.45am. Dilation was at 3cm from the time I admit until about 3.25pm. Then they checked one more time say almost there and quickly prepare to push Liao. Dr Adrian came in about 5 mins later then the whole pushing process started and out came baby at 3.42pm with the help of vacuum coz I couldn't feel anything coz of epi and the nurses were helping to push baby out by pressing my tummy then doc say heartbeat weak I nearly panic. But steady la dr Adrian. Very calm. Baby out, then he stitch back and left already.
Mine different leh.. i went hospital at 6.30am and they inject the med to make me poo.. then put me on drip at ard 7am.. contraction started soon after that, my gynea came duno wat time and break my water.. i know it is very painful.. but duno whether he insert his whole fist.. then contraction became very frequent and intense and pop, my bb was out at 9.31am with a minor tear.

According to my gynea my whole labour after he break my water bag was less than 1 hr.. hmmmm....

Congrats! @silentlove. Strange that the doc breaks your water bag before the nurse shave & let u pass motion first.
What a scare I can imagine when he said bb heartbeat weak. U same as me, over effect of epi.. Cannot push so need to rely on the midwives to do the pushing of the tummy. I can feel the bruise a few days later.
Thanks @leocub!

Mine different leh.. i went hospital at 6.30am and they inject the med to make me poo.. then put me on drip at ard 7am.. contraction started soon after that, my gynea came duno wat time and break my water.. i know it is very painful.. but duno whether he insert his whole fist.. then contraction became very frequent and intense and pop, my bb was out at 9.31am with a minor tear.

According to my gynea my whole labour after he break my water bag was less than 1 hr.. hmmmm....
Different gynae different pattern bah haha.

:eek: Cannot imagine whole fist go in to break the waterbag.(seem like dr adrian will prefer to burst the waterbag) Thru out whole process husband beside u?
He upgraded bed for u?

Yeah burst waterbag can be quite uncomfortable and painful. Lol.

I told my gynae not to burst mine unless almost dilation full then haven't burst naturally. To cushion the contractions.

Anyone had diarrhoea as a sign of early labour? How many days after that you actually go into labour? Just wondering. Cos I think I'm having it now. Hahahha.

This is my #2.. i dun hv issue with my #1.. and i enjoy bf my #1.

#2 quite stubborn and demanding.. lol.. i think she just wan to suck my nipples to go to sleep.. but if no milk she will cry very angrily.. sigh..

I am still trying.. hope i will succeesfully latch her on and feed her soon...
Jia you. Just keep trying. Every baby different.

haha we had almost the same experience except the process was I pooed then OB burst water bag.

Yes I had 2 nurse pressing on my tummy too cos the stubborn bb didn't wanna come out. OB and nurses are always monitoring her heart rate. in case e csec.

Glad both our bb are delivered safely!

:eek: Cannot imagine whole fist go in to break the waterbag.(seem like dr adrian will prefer to burst the waterbag) Thru out whole process husband beside u?
He upgraded bed for u?
Hubby wasn't beside me when he broke the water bag. Was registering :(

I also dunno is it upgraded or not but I think should have. Coz my hubby went to register for me but forgot there's a free upgrade so he chose 2 bedded. Then after I told him then he go and change say want 4 bedded. I'm staying in 2 bedded now so I guess it's upgraded. Tomorrow discharge then confirm again.

Wah sound super scary leh... whole fist.. my edd on 14th.. he ask me go hopital on 14th to induce.. my mil insist dont want 14th, so we change to 12th, 2 days earlier to deliver.. dunno by that time i dilate already anot.. gan jiong too..

My baby white eyes also clear but her jaundice level up to 12.9 & every time we go back check, it drop v slow. So doc suggest to do liver function test to make sure her liver is fine.

Ya, u can bring her to polyclinic to check. Just walk in & the whole process ard 1 hours depends on the crowds. All the charges cost ard $15 including consultation & lab test.
if the baby is less than 1 month old, you got priority when u go polyclinic. i settled less than an hour even with large crowd

Yeah burst waterbag can be quite uncomfortable and painful. Lol.

I told my gynae not to burst mine unless almost dilation full then haven't burst naturally. To cushion the contractions.

Anyone had diarrhoea as a sign of early labour? How many days after that you actually go into labour? Just wondering. Cos I think I'm having it now. Hahahha.
yes! i have 1 time diarrhoea at 2200hrs and i have contraction at 0330hrs. i think i passed out everything inside my intestine.

Believe many oct mummies have read my previous posts about my gynae. Today is really the final straw! Really can't stand the attitude of this gynae and its nurses anymore! Even though I'm already 37 weeks, I have to make the tough decision to switch to another gynae. Thank god, I've manage to find a new gynae after yet another bad episode with this ex-gynae today! Damn pissed!

For anyone's interest, this ex-gynae is Dr Ho Hon Kwok at Mount Alvernia Hospital.

I checked with the Patient Liaison Unit today and he is one of the very few doctors whom collects FULL payment way before delivery. I regret to say that I have already made this payment of almost $3000 last month and I need to change gynae now.

If he refuses to refund this prepayment, might have to seek help from Medical Council or Small Claims Tribunal. It's really terrible and damn bad luck to run into this horrible gynae.

We have already fully paid for the gynae's package of almost $1300 which includes all 'scheduled visits' from week 20 onwards.

We were normally scheduled to visit him once every 2 thurs currently. However due to my husband's work schedule, we fixed it on Friday which was supposed to be tmr.

Unfortunately, we both had food poisoning and called up the clinic this morning to request to bring fwd tmr's visit to today.

The nurses just told us to be there this morning and nothing else was said. However when we collected the medicine, we were being charged a total of $400 which we only realized when we were having lunch at the hospital's cafeteria!

My husband went back to seek clarifications with the nurses and they just refused to refund us the supposedly overcharged amount. We were being charged and exorbitant $100+ for 'emergency visit' and another $80+ for scans (totaling $200)!

If it had been made clear to us, we would have seen our GP first and continue our 'scheduled visit' as per normal tmr! It's really frustrating and ridiculous!

Last edited:
For anyone's interest, this ex-gynae is Dr Ho Hon Kwok at Mount Alvernia Hospital.

I checked with the Patient Liaison Unit today and he is one of the very few doctors whom collects FULL payment way before delivery. I regret to say that I have already made this payment of almost $3000 last month and I need to change gynae now.

If he refuses to refund this prepayment, might have to seek help from Medical Council or Small Claims Tribunal. It's really terrible and damn bad luck to run into this horrible gynae.

How come u paid the full payment? I thought you only need to pay partial delivery fees? Which gynae u changed to ? Also delivering in Mount A ?

Last edited:
Littlepeanut, that's terrible. Hope you are able to get the $ back. Horrible ethics. Wish your next gynae is better.

For those who engaged CL, can I know if you need to apply work permit for them to come SG? My CL told me up do so online so she need not go back Msia and can straight away hop from one assignment to next. True??

For those who engaged CL, can I know if you need to apply work permit for them to come SG? My CL told me up do so online so she need not go back Msia and can straight away hop from one assignment to next. True??
Ya. I did the work permit online for my CL..
Usually it has to done for CL who has assignments very close if not they will be bar from the custom from coming in. You can apply the permit after she came.

Ya. I did the work permit online for my CL..
Usually it has to done for CL who has assignments very close if not they will be bar from the custom from coming in. You can apply the permit after she came.

Oh.. so its normal? i nver heard of this before. can share via which website you apply? and the cost? means extra cost for us or its beared by the CL? Thanks in advance.

Back