(2013/02) March 2013

heard from my colleague that in case gave birth at mid air, you can sit free with the airline FOC for life.
happy.gif

sbb, then I should get my wife to try again year end or early next year! But with SQ though. This time around's with Tiger Airways. Not an ideal airline to get FOC. hahaha

Hi mummies.. I've been swamped with many problems lately too! One of which was my kiddo falling ill.. And I had to scramble to get a new thermometer when my dad told me he dropped and killed our existing one..

So OT a bit, but thought I'd share with u all.. If u r looking to buy a thermometer, we've used the Braun thermo scan irt 4520 (ear thermometer) and its been serving us well. We bought ours at tangs $145 but I discovered there are sprees for it now like this one gOing for only $56!

http://singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/590029/6728827.html

I actually pm-ed this spreer and she was very quick to respond and was really helpful..
For your consideration if you are thermometer shopping!
happy.gif

Hi double dee,
Speedy recovery to ur kid!
Ear thermometers' price is dropping bcos of e newer technology of forehead scanner which I m tempted to replace my decade old but working ear thermometer, as it will b easier than to insert into smaller bb ears.

Hi Jeremy,
Due to hkg's proximity to Japan n Taiwan, u can shop for cheaper jap brands like Pigeon, Tomy etc. If missus is interested, many Taiwanese brands offer bodysuits/ inner wear to sculpt postnatal figures into shapes. Can research w Taiwanese pregnancy magazines in library/ internet b4 u go.
Or plan another trip to Taiwan w SQ lah! Hee...
But seriously speaking, u might not want to check in brand new carseat/stroller w airlines(they throw baggages ard) yet Tiger might not let u lug them onboard unless u buy a seat for carseat. ;p

If u go Citigate, there is Sony n kiddies outlet shops. Abit diff to find summer clothes now but can get some inner vests n jacket if u want.
Uniqlo n Jusco in hkg has quality bb clothes n stuff too.

my son also sick leh.

last 2 sun, mon, tue - fever
Wed, thurs – ok
Fri – fever again for 1 day
Sat, sun – ok
Than yesterday Mon – come back school, fever again
Tue, Today recovers
My friend ask me to bring him go for blood test and check lor.

Hi sbb,
Is he listless n is fever low grade?
If under control n can take fluids, then just let him rest more. Else c what doc say. Blood test for kids quite traumatic 1 hor..

vamiga
he is so easily tired lor. he wake up a while than said he wants to sleep liao after 3hrs.
his fever is not high, like always below 38.5 and he is drinking a lot of fluids.

jst now i call normal gp and talk to the doc, the doc said its not easy to take a 3 year old blood test and he said if he has fever again after not having fever for 2 days, than have to send him to kk for further check.

Hi Jeremy, i just came back from HCM trip and also by tiger air. They will need your wife to sign a letter of indemnity form. I do have a letter from doc to certify that i will still be able to travel (to play safe cos they have the rite NOT to let ur wife to board the plane)

Hi LucasMummy, thanks! My Kids age will be 7, 5, 2.5 (All boys) The coming 4th one finally is a gal.
happy.gif

Hi sbb,
Keep him away from sch for a few days until fever really break. Might b played till overheated b forgot to drink plenty of water etc in sch. Try not to let his fever yoyo..taking ibuprofen? Ard 38 degree can take, no need wait till >38.5.
Use towel wrapped w ice pack or quick lukewarm shower can bring fever down fast.
Once he not feverish, he will hv more appetite n alert. Hang in there!

Mummies expecting #3 and #4, what is your plan for the childcare arrangement or how do you all manage currently?

I am still headache over this.

Hi vamiga, is it true that contactless thermometers r getting better? Cos they used to be the most inaccurate. I read that the traditional one taken orally and through rectum is best but not easy with infants and toddlers, so next best is by armpit, but these digital ones also takes about half a min? So next best is by ear taken in a few seconds.

But let us know if u find out more about a good contactless thermometer cos that sounds like the most convenient and easy way to take their temp!

vamiga
last fri bring him to kk, doc said only when temp is 39.5 than take ibuprofen.
my nurse friends also said, ibuprofen is a very strong medicine, if temp reach 39 than take better.

keeping him away from school today. got to observe how is he tonight and tml morning.. poor bb

Hi double dee,
Let me check w my #2's teacher what is e brand n report here. They been using that since last yr.
Sometimes I can't get accurate reading w ears bcos e way they z, awkward angle etc. Must repeat a few times or just used my hand. Ha...

Hi sbb,
Guess different doc hv diff opinions then. ;p
Ya, now his immunity low, keep away from sch n crowded places better.
Speedy recovery!

doubleDee,
i uses the farlin brand. so far so good. drop few times by my son but still in good working condition.
happy.gif
its a very small one compared to braun.

zhimin
thanks! shall check than.
i don weant to have a aching back like the first one.

re : back ache
for mummy taking epi during birth, and if u are engaging a massage lady, pls remember to get someone to rub for u your back to eash the tension muscle due to the injection.

Mummies with #3, #4... I'm impressed.... I already don't know what to do with #2. I don't want a helper, don't have a fix caregiver and I need to work... We havent really thought of how to settle #2.

Our #1 was used to ferry to either bedok or sengkang. And I will look after when I'm off.. Basically, my mum, mil and myself takes turn. #1 will be in childcare for #2's arrival and it's at serangoon. We do not work office hours... I really dunno how what to do with #2.

Hi Vamiga, Thanks for the advice! True, I thought carseats a bit challenging. haha but wifey was wondering if it's possible. It's gonna be odd size anyway so for the likes of HKIA, do not remember they have sortation system for odd sizes. (I'm in that industry hah!) Anyway, carseats supposed to withstand impact ya? lol...
Yah, Citygate's one of our destination!
happy.gif

Hi Rebecca, ohhhh ok! Guess we'll have to get there earlier just in case some admin process needs to be done.

Hi all ;)

Have been a silent reader. My add will be mid Mar 2013.
Anyone out there have Daytime Confinement Lady to recommend?

Thinking of which infant care centre to send my kid when I go back to work after 4 months maternity leave. PCF (PAP), My First Skool (NTUC) or private?

hI Yun,

most importantly if how comfortable you are with the infant care.
do you like their environment and the teachers over that side?
My second one, i'm sending to PCF one.
1st thing, its new and 2ndly, i likes the teachers over that side.

Hi Yun,
U can also talk to parents picking up their infants to find out how they find the cc.

Hi double dee,
My #2 sch is using Thermofocus to scan forehead temperature.Tampines Ikea playground is using Guardian brand. What's interesting is it can b used as an ear thermometer if u want to. There is a 20% off guardian housebrand till 14 nov.
happy.gif

Saw ytd's TODAY advertising Braun. It has a behind e ear scanner. 10% off at guardian now.

Vamiga
i have a friend currently puting his child at the infant care. till now, i heard no complains and bb seldom sick. so i guess should be ok ba.
happy.gif

Hi sbb,
I meant yun can talk to parents w kids in her shortlisted cc for insights to help in making her choice.
Or u looking for infant care too?

Might be sending her to PCF, near my parents place. If I really cannot make it to pick her up before 7pm, at least my family members can. Hee. It's a new centre. Will only open next year Jan. Since I'm sending her in Jul, after my 4 months maternity leave, I think the paint smell etc should be gone. Hope the teachers are good.

Have you gals registered your kids at infant care? Am I late? Goodness. Last time busy looking for gynae and hospital, then confinement lady, now infant care!

Btw, went for my detailed scan (follow-up). Confirm girl! Hee.

Mum suggests engaging nanny (day and night) as it will be tiring for me to wake up in the middle of night to feed baby and still have to go work the next day. Better to put her with nanny during the weekdays and bring her home during the weekend. Hmm... Any idea how much it will cost to engage this kind of nanny? My auntie said it's $1200, 3-years ago rate. Even day time nanny is $800. Is it still this rate now? Or more ex?

Hi everyone!
Long time no post. Hehee... Wanna ask 2nd/ 3rd time mummies here if you follow any confinement diet? Can share your daily or weekly menu?

Other than rice wine for cooking, did u take any DOM? My first confinement I didn't dare to drink wine cos bf... But this time I wanna build my body constitution... Is it cannot give baby the feed after drinking wine?

I developed migraines after my first child. Dunno is it cos of what I did or ate or did not eat during confinement...

Ooh I was at the expo baby fair n saw that Braun had that 'behind the ear' thermometer too..quite good if u feel newborn's ears r too small for the usual ear thermometer. Will consider if my existing one Konks out.

We got our car seat too.. Not ideal colour but just grabbed for the disc hehe

Felt it was too early to buy diapers so didn't get any but bought a pair of maternity shorts as I'm outgrowing my clothes at a scary pace!

Any mummies went?

Doubledee
I went to the parenthood fair on the 09 Nov.
Fri is the best time as not much mummies and daddies will go as its not so crowded. Haha..

I didn’t managed to see all the stuff finished as I bought the bulky stuff haha..
I bought the breast pump and a multi sterilizer.
A bit regret on the multi sterilizer as I heard the food warmer and milk warmer takes a bit longer to heat up.

Hi Aurora,
My confinement nanny cooked food of my preference but willuse ginger, black fungi, herbs by stages when bb no jaundice, my c section wound healed etc.
I took black chicken w dom towards end of both confinements, after last breastfeed at night. Bb will z exceptionally well after middle of night feed even tho most of e alcohol shld hv been evaporated during cooking.

U not getting confinement nanny? There r confinement recipes online n in library.

Hi, can anyone advise e benefits of taking bird nest during pregnancy? Where is e ideal place to get it from? Thanks!

SO tired today!
happy.gif

Vamiga
i bought the medela freestyle breast pp. than my hubby said buy so expensive for 3rd baby ah? haha..

Ashaz
bird nest is good for bb skin. but than, heard some ppl drink without cleaning the feathers very cleaned so bb had asthma?
i don kw if its feathers problems or parent drink too many cold stuff?

Did anybody buy Medela Freestyle at the Oct fair? It was $798. This Nov fair sold it at $699. What were the freebies given out that time? This time it's just the pump only.

Talked to many friends - also working mummies. I think I'll try either day nanny or infant care centre for my girl. Hope I can survive the nights! Ya, I think I'll miss her if I only see her on weekends...

Yun,
yes oct bb fair is 798 cos they throw in vouchor in case u need to buy spare parts, than nipple cream and etc. this time 699 is only the pump, bag, btls thats all. the standard package lor.

Back