(2013/01) Jan 2013

Celia, Try not to worry about supply as that is also a form of stress.
happy.gif
Like Sylvia says, eat and rest well! Drink loads of water. Remember that demand = supply. For my first 2 months, I pump super regularly, every 3 hourly from both sides. Here is a blogpost I did for BF-ing: http://snowiesnowiegal.blogspot.sg/2009/02/parenthood-is-never-easy.html (hope it helps some first time mummies.
happy.gif
)

sunny,
the papaya is not for eating. Cook in soup. U just drink the soup can le...
happy.gif

tigress,
take 1/2 day leave...
happy.gif

Canopy, the places u suggested like quite good. As long as it is near the MRT (I LIKE!)... :p And I never go to marmalade pantry @ ION before!
happy.gif
How gals?

Sunny, it is green papaya, different from those we eat as fruit.. Just cook the soup don't need to eat the papaya...

Don't worry about supply, just do ur best!

BBlove, oic, mid child syndrome is if close age gaps. Then my 2nd one shld be ok, since age gap is 5 years.

I think I bought Playtex milk storage bags at Taka fair. It don't leak from the sides right? The quality seems similar to last time Avent's milk bags.

Snowger, looking at your pix, I actually miss having those stash of milk in my freezer now! That sense of accomplishment... But then, only good if bb drinks all (my 2nd DD didn't like milk, so I had to throw quite alot away).

Re:BB gender
Imo, people will tend to say something, & most often the remarks might not be what we wanna hear, just don't take it to heart. My standard ans is "any gender ok, as long as bb healthy".

LM, sorry, added u as friend but forgot to add u into the group! lol.. just updated le.
happy.gif
Enjoy ur japan trip!

bblove, i used lansinoh milk bag. Tried Nanny before. Nanny is quite good too and cheaper. both are thick enough for freezing i feel.

Sylvia, ya loh.. my first one is boy, now girl. most pple say can close shop le. But y they got this mentality that one boy one girl can close shop? I looking forward to more kids. More blissful i feel. I like big families, probably coz i'm a single child. Too bad I started with c-sec, so max 3 kids only.

5 Oct outing
- Bliss ling
- shice
- canopyhaze
- snowger
- friends (TBC)
- Sylvia +1 (need baby chair?)
- nickole (expo only)
- full house
- hammiebao

Time: 2pm?
1) Canale (the one near Isetan)
2) NYDC (the one at Wheellock place)
3) Marmalade Toast (at Taka - http://www.marmaladetoast.com.sg/)
4) Carousel (if we are desperate to eat, pricey thou)

5) Antoinette @ Mandarin Gallery
http://www.antoinette.com.sg/

6) Cafe L’Espresso @ Goodwood Park Hotel

7) House @ Dempsey
http://www.dempseyhouse.com/

8) Marmalade Pantry @ ION

9) The Landing Point @ Fullerton Bay Hotel

10) The Courtyard @ Fullerton Hotel

Let's shortlist from this list ya? unless got any really strong recommendation.

Let's not go to those too expensive one ya? have to think of some SAHM who doesn't have regular income to splurge. hehe..

snowger, good job with ur milk freezing! haha.. i never had my freezer full like yours. normal days just able to meet supply coz my boy used to drink 180ml x 5 times a day. only once a while can store for holiday period. lol..

Shice

I also want big family too!! Ya.. dunno why ppl like to match HAO and close shop. no hao or a boy then no need to close liao meh?

No need high chair.
happy.gif

Tks for the consideration for SAHM.
happy.gif

Ladies,
Anyone have serious episodes of heartburn? I have this constant burning sensation in my throat. Just threw up a while ago, all watery and it burnt my throat as it came out! Any remedy?

Papaya fish soup,
I really enjoyed the soup at TMC, then when i got my mil and mum to cook at home using the same recipe, it tasted very different! Anyone knows what's their secret ingredient?

Snowger,
Wow im super envious of your pumping output! I do hope it gets better 2nd time ard.
Never did have to use any milkbags cos output was so low. =(

Shice,
No prob will check and see now. Thanks will eat and eat there for sure!

RE: 5th Oct Outing
Sorry, can't join u gals this time....got Gynae appt & #2 no sch that day. Gonna be busy running around.

Shice,
Paiseh....have PMed u my email details last week to request to join the FB group but no news abt it.

Nits, did u drink alot of cold drinks or soups? I had this when i ate meals + drink water/soup together. So to prevent this, I drink very little with meals.

Re: 5-Oct Outing
I've to miss out this time too, gotta work.

Snowger,

thks for sharing yr blog! I will definitely take yr advise and not be too stressed.

By the way, I read from western websites that Fenugreek Herbal supplements may be taken to boost milk production. One can start on it just right before delivery.

Any experienced mummy here who tried that? ;)

Celia: My friends who just gave birth recently have been taking fenugreek after they gave birth.. And it works for 2 of my friends but it doesn't work on 1 of them.

Hi mummies,

Am looking at maternity clothes from asos website, was wondering does the dress (UK 8) fit into our Asian size? I am 156cm. Please advice. Thank you
happy.gif

5th Oct outing - maybe I can drop by and say hi @ expo! Coz its my gynae appt that day. Will be with my hubby and my #1.

*waves to xfz* Congrats! Glad to see another March 2011 mummy! =D

Btw, my #2 is a girl! ^_^

Fenugreek Herbal supplements

I took 2 bottles, din see much increment, just eat hoping it did help.

I find eating fish with immediate effect.

Nits,
I am getting burns too. At the throat? I get this burnign sensatio and it's really quite terrible.
sad.gif

Fenugreek Herbal Supplements: I think no need to take bah. For me i feel it's a pysoclogical game. If you have the preseverence and e mentality that you can BF, you will and you surely can!!!
happy.gif

LM, I think it is because i pump 3 hrly everyday for the first 2-3 mths. so from 12 noon, 3pm, 6pm, 9pm, 12 midnight, 3am, 6am. I wake up to pump. Tiring but well worth it.
happy.gif

Talking about bfg/pumping out milk, did any of you who bf/pumped out bm drink any alcohol during confinement period? Or drink any DOM double-boiled soup? Confinement dishes, any rice wine/alcohol added? Or none?

Fenugreek,
I bought it to consume but increment was minimal. In fact I was also prescribed domperidone by my gynae which is supposed to help increase ss too. But all didn't work.
The only thing I didn't try is the sacred tea.

Leung chui yi,
Does the website advise u to take based on your pre pregnancy size? Or it has measurements based on your current size? Don't think it is based on your height. If you've bought clothes before from marks n spencer, coast, trucco you can have a rough gauge.

Piscean,
I drank and ate some of those alcohol dishes you mention. Also need to take care of mummy's needs mah.
happy.gif
but come to think of it, is that why I had low ss??

Piscean,

what my CL told me is after drink alcohol, pump or feed 1-2 hrs later, usually when alcohol cooked, nt much alcohol in the dishes too. So timing must be well that feed, go n eat, rest for the next feed that is ok for bb to drink.

LM, I have more to supply after eating these alcohol dishes.

Added averie. but for wenyl, i got this error msg. anyone knows wat i can do?

'You can't add an old member of the group who hasn't requested to join the group again.'

Re : Fenugreek
I think the effect is individual. I took 2 bottles, but had no effect on me at all, the bm supply remains the same. Tried lots of method to improve the supply but failed miserable. Eg, Green papaya fish soup, sacred tea, drinks lots of water etc, still in vain. Went to consult my doc, was told that there is no proof that by taking all these will the milk supply. So i eventually gave up breastfeeding after 8mths.

Celia

bf & supply dun tally. even if u only hv low supply , u can supply months n years. That's why dun stress how much whether is it alot or low supply. As long as bb drink, u can just supply. when bb hungry, will make noise, so u supply again.

If u hv alot, mostly will frozen as EBM for further use. The best is still latch or feed immediately as nutrients are at excellent quality.

My initial amt every 3hours was 30ml, the max 40ml which was rare, after that pump cant pump anymore as I think breast only can recognise the latch suction, so I stopped pumping at 2nd mth esp bb then dun like milk bottle, only want to latch.

I'm still a bf-ing mum for #1.
happy.gif

Pop in as I rem something to share for 1st time mums .

C-sect tends to see bm coming in later than natural delivery so dun worry about supply. I know mums who save really alot of EBM in freezer & fridge for both natural delivery & c-sect.

while some always have low supply for both too and can still bf for a few months. It's really rest well & relax n let nature comes.

happy.gif

C-sec vs natural birth
Any mummies care to share your thoughts or some advice about which to go with? I'm quite undecided about it - the gynae prefers natural birth while the hubby prefers c-sec..

Sylvia

Thk u for yr advise. ;) So u reckon it doesn't mean you are hardworking and committed to BF and one will get more supply. Seems to be genetic too...

Syyy

C sect, u wont even know bb is borned as u r in coma. but u wont be able to move esp when the aesthetic goes off and will be painful to move and even carry or bf bb. But u dun hv to struggle with the hours of labour pain as u will hv c sect 2-3 wks earlier.

natural delivery , u will feel the labour pain as u r nearer to deliver .nw with epidural is less painful. u get to push bb, see bb and bf bb the moment bb is delivered ( before or after cleaning up depends on ur preference).

With laughing gas, it's more painful but less side effect compared to epidural as it will make more mum n bb sleepy or calm.

So it's up to ur preference if u want to use pop or go thru the motherly process.

Guys will want c sect as faster n for them nt a torture to see wife in labour pain.

Celia

i think it's more on if u want to bf, some mums try but din preserve as they think they dun hv, so fm the start, supply FM constantly, so bb with FM dun need bf ,thus supply also will drop.. The more bb latch or u pump, the amt will increase at least abit to keep supply to bb's feed.

Alot of ppl think only if u hv alot of supply then u can bf. My old grand aunts always asked me... u hv alot to supply when they heard I bf, but the fact was I din. I just feed when bb cry for milk.
but as my supply is low, it was hourly feeding, very tired for mum as after resting for a while, feed again. 7days x 24 hours, no rest... can be very stressful esp when u hv negative comment and support telling u nt to bf. My MIL treated BF like watching XX rated movies.....

My initial plan was 6 mths. But #1 rejected bottles totally by 2nd mths. by 5mths, bottle ok but sensitive to FM & all diary products, resulting hives and rashes. By 14 mths, diary products ok, but FM only 1-2 sips and reject, so never had the chance to stop bf. fm age 2, hv been telling to stop, hinting, show animals bf and the female was in pain as the young one is old nw,etc... all nt successful. Presently more sensitive and get angry, so hoping #2 comes, will stop. If nt, as wat #1 told me, SHARE.........

Breastfeeding,
Just read those positive research and articles on BFg and it'll make you WANT to do it.

There is no guilt involved if you can't, but tell yourself you must do it. I bf my #1 till 18mths (was 7 mths preg with #2 when I stopped), and #2 till nearly 3.

Contrary to belief, it is not true bf bbs don't sleep thru the night. Both my children slept thru by two months old, it's all about sleep training... Erhmm but I was younger then, wonder if I'll be too lazy to sleep train #3 now... Lazy now!

Ss
Dun need a lot, ESP if you are at home. I just pump out enough for short trips out... I don't have a lot of ss too, ESP with #2 (think partly I pump less coz I was already a sahm). But she's sturdier than #1.

Syyy
Oh, why does your Hb want c sect? He'll have to take up more load caring for the bb since you're in recovery leh. Ask him to speak to experienced dad who have seen both and consider.

Syyy, please consider natural birth. C-sec has many more disadvantages than natural birth actually. Many mummies have no choice but to opt for C-sec due to circumstances.

Don't worry about breastfeeding. It's all in the mind. I bf my boy till 11 mth even though he stopped latching at 7 mth. Just be more hardworking to pump and maintain supply if you don't latch often.

Thanks for your advice, Sylvia, Fullhouse and Pauline! I generally prefer to go with a natural birth because I want to be able to hold my baby immediately after. It's the thought of having an epistomy that makes me think twice..
Fullhouse, My husband was told by his friend (a recent dad) that natural birth is more traumatic for the baby as it has to squeeze out of the birth canal, and so he became concerned..

Breastfeeding
Keeping my fingers crossed that it works out cos I know of some new mothers who really wanted to, but they gave up when it hurt too much - mastitis I think. Already bought the medela freestyle in anticipation of being able to express at work, and hoping to keep it up for as long as I can, barring any unexpected exigencies.

Syyy: I had c-sec w epidural for number 1. So I am conscious throughout the op and able to carry the bb right after he is delivered too. Breast feeding also started on the same day after I am pushed back to the ward. But having said that , I would also suggest that you try natural delivery first... Always good to be pro-natural!

Syyy,
It's natural for the baby to come out frm the birth canal so y more traumatic? Funny for the daddy to speak for the baby.

my belly has been itching alot lately... n there are tiny red bumps. i've been using the same oil/cream for my belly so i don't think it's allergy
sad.gif
any mummies experience sth similar b4?
thanks!

xycartx

U might want to try another cream to see if it's allergy? as I know skin condition changes as tummy grows bigger.

Syyy,
I wanna laugh when I see ur post on the advice!!! Why a 1st time dad tell a dad when both of them nt the ones giving birth?

Plus....... if the canal so traumatic, women's body wont hv the canal in the first place! LOL LOL!!! So many millions of bb born this way thru history of human beings. We are already fortunate now, for history, the women had to hold themselves to ropes/clothes hanging from ceiling to push n give birth without any painkiller.

Maybe tell ur hubby open and sew a zip so that next time open n close, isn't that better? See if he laughs. :p

I opt for laughing gas initially, but when hubby saw me in labour pain n esp when checking ( for me, checking is worse than labour pain), he insisted last min opt for edipural.

16 hours of labour pain but the final pushing and the moment I saw #1, tears flow. Then nurse asked if I want to latch. I was quite surprised that I can latch right after deliver before cleaning. So nurse said up to me to decide to latch before or after cleaning. I latch then in delivery room.

This time hubby said go c-sect, I told him, NO, I want to latch right after delivery. :p I missed the bonding experience.

Syyy,
Think of it this way, episiotomy is a small snip down under, c-sec is a long cut. Healing time is very very different. Plus c-sect will limit the number of kids you can have, and it does complicate future pregnancies depending where the sac implants.

Syyy: Its an individual preference to opt for C-sec or go natural. I prefer to go natural; had my #1 thru' natural birth, was kinda skeptical and scared being the 1st time mummy, and was determined to do c-sec, but i was convinced by my hubby & gynae to go natural. It was a decision that i had never regretted. No words could describe the moment i saw my boy for the 1st time and holding him in my arm. Hubby was so touched by the scene that he hugged me with tear and thanking me for being brave to giving birth to a miracle. He had witnessed the whole birth process and was there to support me thru' the 13hrs labor. My gynae didn't cut me below, i had a 3 to 4cm tear, and my gynae sewed me up, the pain was bearable as i reckon i was too overwhelmed by the joy of having my baby in my arm.

And i was "fortunated" to have a taste of how C-sec like when i went for the emergency ops to remove my ovariance cyst 2 months ago. The mental stress which i went thru' was undescribale, the thought of whether i would wake up after the ops, whether the GA will affect the baby etc. The operation was a success but the after effect was quite painful. I had a 20cm cut near the bikini line, it was double the size of a normal c-sec of 10cm wide. My throat was dry and painful due to the tube they had inserted into me during the operation, i started to cough non-stop when i woke up, and the coughing caused my tummy to jerk. I could feel loads of pain in my tummy when i coughed. And the recovery period was quite slowly and i was bedridden for a few days in the hospital, and had experienced great pain when got up from my bed when at home. I told my hubby that i will definitely go for natural birth now that i know what it is like to go thru' c-sec.
happy.gif

Syyy
I would advice to go for natural birth too, normally people opt for C-sect due to health issues, or some because they want the date for bb to be born. I don't understand why is it more traumatic for the baby for natural birth, like what Sylvia said, the 1st time dad def cannot speak for the baby. Episiotomy heals better than c-sect wound.

I was lucky to have a fast labour, natural without epidural, I will def go for natural birth for #2.

I wanted to opt for csect at 36 weeks when I had my no 1 due to my heart problem. The monthly trips to national heart centre and gynae visits added the stress of me wanting to deliver the baby ASAP. But after discussing with Gynae, I decided try natural but throughout the whole labour, I have to be drip with 2-3 antibiotics. In addition, I also vain lah... Keep hearing from friends that tummy will 'flatten' faster if it's natural delivery... Managed to go natural even thou induced and the healing process was quite fast. 3rd day I didn't feel any pain and can chiong here and there....

Syyy
Oh yes, I read about the research that says birth through birth canal is indeed more traumatic for bb than c sext birth.

Only thing I'm not sure if the trauma is meant for good or evil. Lol. I think it's like butterflies who need to go thru the trauma of coming out of the cacoon, else they will b deformed (Choy Choy Choy), but maybe nature has it's purpose for natural birth?

Iya whatever the means, just as long as it pleases you and Hb, then it's the most important. We all 2nd and third time mummies say say talk talk a lot. Yet during the delivery, we ask ourselves why so stupid Kenna conned into having another one... Scold Hb, scold sky, scold water, scold nurses, scold Gynae... See la, when the birth stories all come, some will be hilarious!

Meet ups,
Think we took it on fb Liao. Think pm one of us if you aren't on fb and is keen on meeting up. I rem once in other thread we had one case of meet ups, where someone approach the mummies in the restaurant and mentioned she knew who they were coz saw the postings on smh forum... Scary...

Big bbs and small bbs
Just thinking about size of bbs as new born. Some say bb size is in the genes, so if you look at the extended family, your Hb and your siblings, birth weight should all be around the same. I realized that my side of 9 nieces and nephews are all around 3.5kg, and my Hb's side of two kids were all borne big at 3.5kg average too... Hmmm, but both prev birth of mine are 2.7kg, smallish side... Where's the gene pool?

No, I'm not big on big bbs :)D)..

Ot is it something that I did, or ate?

Anyone noticed a trend in your family?

Must all natural birth go through epistomy? Cannot don't snip down there? I also very scare after hearing all my friends' experiences.
Freesia, u so brave! My gf she tried natural birth with epidural but unsuccessful. It took too long and end up the gynae asked her to c-sec with epidural since she already on it. She said she can feel the cutting on her tummy and her face immediate turned white like a piece of paper. The gynae saw that she couldn't take it anymore and quickly gave her a GA jab to put her to sleep. She said is very traumatizing to c-sec while awake.

I think I will try natural birth without epidural. My friend said epidural don't make it painless because the gynae would want you to feel the contraction and pain so that you will push. If that the case I rather don't want epidural.

As a first time mummy, fear, nervous is Cfm de.. But we just hope that we can do it naturally If we are able to.
Individual pain tolerance is diff n when the doc pass u the baby, the pain n wait is all worthwhile..

I rem I still yaya to call n tell my mum I still have 3more cm to go to push the baby out haha, the pain comes after I put down the phone, it has been 26 months ago n I still remember vividly

My family genes shld be small ba.. My boy is 2.56 kg, while my two nephews is 2.6 n 2.8kg

I just hope #2 will be at least 2.6kg. Easier to push but also scary to see lil baby
They are indeed more fragile to carry compare to those 3kgs plus babies

Averie

Natural birth without epidural is really brave!! But it's ur decision.
happy.gif
I think all #2 mums will know like wat Fullhouse wrote. :p

I dun feel contraction after epidural n they up the dosage when I feel pain. I can still push with 3 dosage. It really depends on who is ur gynae as my gynae is v experience n calm so he ensure that condition is good & dun need extra when nurse ask him to induce me,etc.

2 stories here to share. 1 frd dunna epidural, so she opt for laugh gas, in the end, she din use it to ease pain, she use the equipment to hit her hubby during labour pain!!

The other was... having #2, she was more bo chap, even when she started to have contraction, she still went to buy wat she planned to buy that day. So when she was sent to hospital, it was too late to give her epidural as she was about to deliver soon. She was in great pain and kinda regret never go to hospital earlier.

Regarding on sleeping training & breastfeeding. There is a good link to share : http://www.askdrsears.com/

Dawn, nt sure which method Fullhouse used. I am only against CRY IT LOUD as it caused the kids to be very insecure. Maybe those I knew were doing wrongly or very self centered.

There's a mum who train her bb since 2nd mth, throw him into his cot in his own room at 7pm and only will go in and pick him up at 7.30am the next morning. 1st wk, she did switch on the monitor, but the wk after, she switch off n totally left the kid alone in his own room. In the end, the kid due to crying constantly have puff n swollen eyes even when nt crying as eye muscles were strained. He learnt that no one will bother about him, so he learnt to play on his own. Character wise, very withdrawn, dun smile much n insecure kid. At age 2-4, he was very hard to manage, totally out of control as commented by the mum.

Some kids sleep thru very early without training too. Even when the mum wanna latch during night, the bb just sleep. But I think those who latch or feed during night tends to be bigger size? ( nt sure as there are genetic and the amount fed each time to consider)

happy.gif

Back