(2013/01) Jan 2013

Mummies who hv used MyBreastFriend breastfeeding pillow, is it good? I see that it extends to wrap around your back, does that make it hard (cos jutting out) for you to sit with your back against a chair? There's another kind like bobby pillow that is like a U-shaped pillow so no need to tie, is that more comfortable I wonder?

@ shice, thanks gal. My gal (27 mths) will be going for it next mth, 1st week of Oct, a Sunday class. A new class which they have opened. What are the materials we need to get for eg, the flash card? Can used for how long?

Need to practise 30 mins every day and hope we can achieve it especially now I preggy and it seems that my hub is having preggy symptoms.. I should be the one feeling tire instead but still need to tong til my little gal sleeps.. The dad is soundly asleep after watching his news..

Bliss, my house will be at Hougang.
Shice, thanks I will check out Queen st shop. I think most important is the baby must comfortable else it will be torturous for the rest if he/she keep crying. Keke....

bliss, they will enrol u for the PEC (course for parent) and also another parent class where they will advise on the flash cards and materials to buy. But the PEC and parent class will be held like after 2nd lesson. So for the initial few lessons, I did not do anything. Just enjoy the lesson with my boy.

The materials for 27 months may be different from mine. So maybe it's good that you ask the questions during the parent class. During ur 2nd or 3rd lesson, u will be given a list of things (suitable for your girl's age) to buy. Recommended list but not necessary to buy all.

My hubby is not very keen in shichida lesson. He doesn't want to cover me for the lessons when my tummy starts to get bigger, but he does fetch us there and back. At my son's age, he's super active and gg thru terrible two (i guess). Abit difficult to sit thru the lesson with him crawling on the table, swapping cards onto the floor, etc. But will tong till I deliver. Hopefully tummy not too big and the small chair can still support my weight. lol..

Thanks ladies for the guan yin temple shop recommendation. Need to wait for my mil to pass me the bb clothes that have been going around between my sil's sons and my dd. Then can take stock and buy if necessary.

Flash cards,
I found it very hard to maintain the practice and it's so difficult to continue when I can't even see solid evidence of my dd absorbing. Hmm. Is there something I'm missing out? I'm using the Glenn doman cards.

Piggy mum,
I used mybrestfriend pillow previously. Was quite comfy, I didntnotice the back part getting in the way. U can put a small cushion above the back of the pillow if u prefer. I like that the top is flat and the bb just rests there. But I didn't use for long once she outgrew the pillow in length.

Bliss ling,
It's ok better to complain here than on Facebook. A lot of things can't be said there cos I've so many acquaintances there. Or im scared my complaints will get around to that person. Haha

@ shice, ur son class is on which day? We have signed up for parents education class. Was asking hub to go to attend then he will let me know what is it all about but he said he dont want to go w/o me... so both of us are goin on 24/10 at NTUC centre.

My girl's class is the begining class thus maybe it will be the same as ur son.. Will check it out on 7/10 then ask u for advise..

The person incharge said not necessary to buy all and if we are hardworking we can make our own flash cards. Guess it will be tough.

I be goin in with my gal til I abt to deliver cos the lady incharge said since i preggy, it will act as a stimulation for the one inside tummy. My hub is ok to take over , he can handle my girl well. My girl is afraid of him. I always told her if she not behaving , i ask daddy to bring her to the nauti room. She was afraid and will pick up all books / toys on floor.

Jia you mummy, i can understand with big tummy and active child in class. I with u cos I will be also goin in with my gal = )

@ LM, true.. better than rant in FB.. hehehee

Flash cards,
Well, I tried Glenn doman cards (borrowed from fren). Guess what I stopped after 3 days cos no time to do it.. That time my bb was 6 mths old..

@ piggy mum, hehehe.. my gal very stubborn de.. Need to send her to nauti room and lock her there.. Nauti corner didnt worked for her cos she will run away..

LM: Thanks for the feedback. Thinking of getting a preloved one since it'll only last for a short while. AND it's expensive! I cradled #1 in my arms during b/f and it was so tiring.

Bliss_ling: Aiyoh u lock her in nauti room she got scream and shout? I will get heart pain leh (think I am too soft hearted :p ) How old is your gal? Mine is just 14mths and everyone is warning me about "Terrible Two" *faint*

Terrible two is terrible..but also fun.
I enjoy every moments with my boy esp he is now very expressive.

I got a shocked and surprise that at the age of two, he can write ABC, G,M, some letters, 1, two and draw a face, fish though its not so nice, very hard to control for their hand muscule.He show me his talent yesterday night and I think my hubby is impressed too cos he kept asking him to write the rest.

Previously my boy went GUG but he cannot sit still..at times I tell him the phonics and im shocked that he remember also. i tot he run around nv listen..

cheese: The place kind of dark and out of the way one, it's not directly opp the Guan Yin temple. That time me and hubby also almost gave up. Just walk along the walkway opp the Guan Yin temple (most of the shops sell joss sticks etc) and you should be able to see it eventually. I took their name card but think I hv misplaced it by now.

my son wordings!
happy.gif
- can see some? last pic is a face.. lol look like monster
7520876.jpg

Bliss_Ling, LM, i bought the Glenn Doman flashcards too.. so ex.. i only flash for 1 month plus and gave up.. cos my boy was ard 8mth plus then and couldnt concentrate. but now he can sit down for a few minutes for me to finish flashing cards. really have to do it fast to catch his attention. For me, i've no discipline, cos i lazy to arrange everyday!! haha.. i bought wink to learn (speak and read) DVDs and get my mum to play for him everyday. at least better than nothing.. ;P
i m trying to start back my GD flashcards.
LM, actually u can try 'testing' whether ur gal is absorbing anot, by giving her two cards and ask her which is which. maybe she knows. then it will show whether she is absorbing anot. u can try different cards each time.

Regarding FB, actually if we have a 'secret' group in fb, then whatever u post there, cannot be seen by ur frens, unless they are in the group! of cos, if u post on ur wall, everyone can see..

Cheese, how old is ur boy when he attended the GUG class? tinking of starting my boy in GUG too.. haha.

the shop is opp the temple.. if your back is facing the temple.. is at the left.. you just walk to the end of the row and you will see the toilet sign and ta-da the shop.. next to the shop is the gantry to the carpark.. if you are not sure just ask the stores pple where is the toilet..

piggy mum, i updated my friend liao she will go check it out again, the other one my friend say one close shop liao.. lol

nickole- its just few months back, when he is 16months like that. for me i feel that i can teach also, he is very interested in puzzles, hands on thing, everynight i write a-z big and small letter for him, (he will bring the board and ask me to write), numbers, now into song, can sing ABC Song and very fast can sing shi shang zi you mama hao i presume!

@bliss_ling: O.. u taking the tingkat? but i heard tingkat not nice. Possible to ask yr MIL cook for u? yr mum?

O yr hse faster than me. mine 3rd quarter 2015. sian.. Disney live show? didnt know about it.

@ averie: yeah all the bb gathering must be very cute!!

@shice: Shichida prog? nv heard of this. how much is this prog? 1 day per week? My son same as urs.. active till cannot sit long le.. i wonder how he go childcare but currently i stil waiting for slot for the CC to enrol for my son next yr.
happy.gif

@ piggy mum, Well, usually hub will go in with her.. need to explain the reason and reflect on what she did.. Mine is 27 mths ..

I locked her afew time alone in darkness cos I was so angry. She cried and hit the door.. Felt so bad and told myself I shouldnt do it anymore esoecially she was only 16 mths back then

Hi @ nickole: Is the DVDs Wink to learn good? wanted to buy but need some review lst.

Actually create a "secret" group in FB is not bad idea!! cos sometimes if we dont log in SMH forum, we need to find our post back which is sometimes long list to run! at least FB can tag the person when we got something to ask etc...

@cheese: yr boy so clever can read A-Z at 16mth. My boy 16mth now also but still don know A-Z. Like hard to teach when he keep running ard. cannot sit long!

Hi all Jan Mummies I'm back from USA holiday last week and this week finally managed to clear my backlog of work.

Noticed my name is not in the table, can someone help update?

Baby #: 1
EDD: 21 Jan 2013
Gynae Name: Benjamin Tham
Hospital: TMC
BB Gender: Boy!

Wow i've gained 8kg at Week 20.. feeling like a pig!
sad.gif

Anyone going for the TMC prenatal class on 14 Oct? I've signed up for that and hope it will be insightful
happy.gif

Thanks for updating Shice. It's my #1 baby if u r updating again. It's there a fb group? Can add me [email protected]

Anyone know if detail scan is optional or? I will be 21 and a half wks at my next visit but my Gynae has no mention anything or he will just auto do a detail scan during the next visit?

Glen Doman
I did it with my first two, mostly half heartedly. Now with number 3, would I do it? You bet! Not half hearted this time round! My first two are 4 and 6, so I can see the effect of GD in their learning.

Some parents don't advocate flashcards. They claim doctrinal truth in the book, "Einstein didnt use flashcards" or something... Uh, but really the flashing takes less than 5 min a day.. So it doesn't really, erhmm, become the main occupation in their childhood.

Shichida
I'm uncomfortable with a few doctrines from their founder eg ESP and use of subliminal consciousness ;).. It's also a class thing. GD makes use of 亲子教育, so I'm more sold.

Flashcard
I'm a super lazy mummy! I had never show my boy any flash cards! Haha.. But so far he's ok.. He don't know abc or 123 at 21 months but I'm totally fine with that, he will learn it sooner or later in school, I don't think I need to fast forward learning for him.. I'm happy that he's healthy and managing well in cc
I brought him to JG and he enjoyed music and story time.. He does pick up lots of things from our daily life..

Shichida
I have got mixed feed back from friends, some think it's very good, my friend's child started it when he was ard 6months old and he's now 5yrs old and still attending the class, my friend said it helps him to memorize
Another friend of mine told me that shichida methods actually over stimulating the kid's brain.. And my friend also notice that Shichida is always changing teacher..

Bliss/Friend,
That is what I like about Mt A. They will actually give us the x-ray film to keep. I think the detail scan is about $100+

If you look at the way I do my scrap book, I think you will faint. I keep almost everything pertaining to the pregnancies and baby and made them into a scrap book of 105 pages and still counting. Hubby always say I "si mi sia" also keep. Some time I feel it is related to my baby, if throw also not correct so keep lor. I usually used those thick 160gm coloured A4 paper and have remark & stickers and bind them into a book. The shop lady already told me they used the thickest binder for me liao, for #3, I need to start a new book.

Some example of my scrapbook:

7522101.jpg

pregnancy test kit

7522102.jpg
7522103.jpg

u/s scan

7522104.jpg

bb Hospital card/ Registration card

7522105.jpg

My wrist tag & bb's leg tag

7522106.jpg

baby cord

7522107.jpg

bb's 1st hair cut

Some of bb's milestone such as 1st yawn, 1st bath at home, 1st time on bouncer & walker, 1st breastmilk spa, 1st birthday and photo for each month etc etc.
7522108.jpg
7522109.jpg
7522110.jpg
7522111.jpg
7522112.jpg
7522113.jpg

Bliss,
Your MIL win liao lor black chicken money also need to pay back. Will you be giving her money for babysitting? I'm thinking of giving my MIL $500 per month. Is it too little?

Yiping,
To what I know, govt hospital like KK, SGH & NUH don give patient detail scan report. Everything will be kept in the hospital. But you can try checking with your gynae.

Averie,
I dun likw to give pacifier. According to LC, Sister Kang, It will be better to offer the breast even though supply yet to kick in. BB will feel contented suckle on the breast and yet it stimulate milk flow.

Fullhouse/ Averie/ Hammiebao,
I will be staying at Mount A. Have already booked for 2 bedded c-sect with epi. Their package is $2425 not including doc's fees. Just received their confirmation through mail.

New to this forum. Wow, so many MTB.

Can add me-
Nick: shrekkybin
Edd: 23 jan
Hospital & Gynae: Dr Geraldine Tan @ TMC/ Mt Alvernia

Eterine,
So long you are gaining weight steadily, it should be ok. Remember not all your weight gain isn't just down to fat. Usually weight gain 8% is your bigger breast,
9% is the placenta,
11% is the amniotic fluid,
39% is the weight of the unborn baby
11% is the expanded uterus
22% is extra blood volume.

According to gynae, a weight gain of 12-15kg through the whole preggy is normal
happy.gif

Fuzzylove,
Detail scan is optional. It is usually done in hospital and there will be a fee of $100 plus. But some gynae can also do the scanning if their machine is high tech enough and they will charge you a minimum fees for that.
Do check with your gynae on your next visit.

Piggy mum,
I also bought 2nd hand brestfriend pillow the last round. It's good enough, just make sure u get a nice clean looking one. I always put a nappy as my bb's "tablecloth" anyway cos u dunno when they'll decide to spitup milk or whatever.
This time I'm not sure if I'm direct latching much so probably wont buy a pillow again. Supply was low the last time so I ended up expressing what I could. Plus latching was very painful for me. Think I should have invested in a visit to the lactation consultant early on.

GD cards,
I did the testing thing 3 times. She looked at the correct card 2 out of 3 times. Considered a success? But I stopped shortly after that. I still have the math dot cards which are collecting dust. I agree it's expensive so I bought a "parallel import" math dot card set from the forum. I made my own word cards using drawing block paper and daiso markers.

Fullhouse,
Can you share what about your older kids makes u say the GD method is a success? I need some inspiration to continue! Kekeke

Bblove
Wow that's a lot of work but really precious memories! I'm a little too 'lam nuah' for that. But you're good!

Reg Mt A, so how many days will you be staying over? Who's going to take care of your other twoduring your stay?

I havent booked mine. Grrr... Must get down to doing it !

Thanks for explaining BBlove! Didn't know the weight are distributed this way~ Was worried initially cos BB only weigh 327gm.

Anyone experienced limbs numbness recently? I started feeling numbness in my entire left hand (not my muscle hand) these 2 days. It just happen suddenly while I'm working with my right hand on the mouse.

I am also a lazy mummy. Did the flashcards when my boy was a baby... few times i sianz liao.. never continued.. I started him with weekend class with leapschool house when he was 14mths old. The program is the touch and go type;a bit of dancing, storytelling, flashcard, gym and singing for 1.5hrs. Stop everything when he attended CC/PG at 18 mths cos want him to rest on weekend. He can recognise A-Z and the basic primary colours. I'm already very happy liao. The rest can wait.. We only want him to learn thru play. Maybe when he is 4 or 5 years old then I start those real learning program... My only headache is he doesn't understand Chinese... When he tried to speak mandarin, the accent is very funny....

I'm ok with pacifier... When he gets real noisy, I do wish to shove it in his mouth to stop him from talking.. Bad mummy. Anyway, as he gets older, he also paiseh to suck it in public.. nowadays he only requested it when he wants to sleep. The pacifier is his comfort thingy.. He will feel drowsy and doze off when he sucks on it...

LM
My children aren't really born bright. But I notice now they have the inclination in the subject cards I did with them :D I did a lot of math dots with my boy and he's rather mathy. I did mostly English cards with my dd and she started reading before 3. Also my dd crawled at 4.5mths old when I use the infant crawling track.

And, no, hb and I aren't bright sparks or athletes lah. Not that we are making geniuses but GD works well, even if we invest only so little time in it.

Since you put in the effort to make those cards, you shod use them! Mine are too old now :p

hi,
Im still deciding between Mt A and TMC for the hospital. For Mt A mummies, how do you find the constructions work @ the hospital and the parking?

TIA!

Ong
Have you been to Mt A? I haven't so I'm totally clueless here! My gynae now only delivers at MtE and MtA but I'm most def choosing MtA.

BBlove, wow! Salute u for all the effort in your scrap book! The only stuff I did for my boy is a photo book containing photos of his 0-12 mths. Supposed to do another year book for his 2-yr... Err... I still have yet to find time to sort the photos...

xycartx, the new breast pumps should come with a standard size. Should be M for PISA/Freestyle. If you are not sure, you can go to mums and babes. They have a nipple measure tape and can help you with buying the correct size breast shield.

BBlove, I also want to do scrap book but up till now still no action... *Sheez*

GD cards, Is that really good? I really relax one corner. Did the I can read cards for a very short while with my gal only... :p

Shichida,

I am amazed when was showed how kids in Jap able to memorise the things in seconds. Heard of good and bad abt Shichida. Will try for a term to see how it goes.

I bet mine will like JG more cos got music and story telling..

@ bblove, I love your scrap book. It really took lots of effort to keep and organize it . Not easy and it will be a priceless gift to give to our child when he grows up.

As for the scan, not sure whether it will fade thru time. I still looking for my girl's ultrascan pictures and I rem keeping it in my cupboard.

Hub will give $800 to his mum plus additional $100 for the food like fish/pork. Initially he has intention to give 1K but i was telling him to save abit for raining day. Actually grandmother is inner ppl, dont need to go according to market price for nanny. Was told off by him that ppl still need salary what. Well, I keep quiet on this cos $$$ doesnt come from me... hehehehe

@ Friends, wow ur boy is good leh.. Mine wont feel paiseh to suck it in public.

@ Fullhouse, thanks for sharing. Btw, what is
infant crawling track?

Think I need to ask my fren to borrow me her GD cards for #2 since I be on maternity leave.

Etirine,
I sometimes get a slight numb feeling in the hand if I've slept in that position too long, or I squashed it under my pillow while sleeping. But it goes away once I move or massage it.

My problem is more of calf cramps at night. Even exercising the feet before bed doesn't always work.

Fullhouse,
Thks for sharing! I will go dig out the cards again. Did u only start your son on the math cards after he could read, as suggested in the book?
Wow u even invested in the crawling track! Was it expensive? I have no room to put it.
But I did try out the swimming techniques by GD's son. Didn't do it consistently but I do think my dd is a lot more at home in the pool than older kids. I've not used a float on her before and she will attempt to swim away from me if I stop and rest while taking her ard the pool.

Bliss ling,
The crawling track is a mobility training device which is custom made for infants to practice crawling from a very early stage. They can even sleep in it instead of a cot.

bblove: wow, you've done a great job on the scrapbook. I feel so paiseh that i didn't do anything for my #1 and now #2. I just put all the scans & reports in the drawers after every gynae visit.

Just received letter from #1 cc that the school will be raised by $600 more per term starting next yr. Sigh~ more $$ outflow!
sad.gif

Back