2012 Twins

Hi Shiko
U mean we can take homemade chicken essence to help in bf too huh? Tt one i know how to make using kampong chicken to make the pure essence right? It helps in increasing more bm? Then i dun mind to make myself.. Thk u..;) how many wks r ur twins now??

Hi gals
Do u take care ur twins urself after cl left? Do u put them in same rm together or separate rm at night?

Hi joanne.

Today is my babies' full mth- 24th.

I'm not sure why i manage to get so much milk, could b tat i pump consistently every 3-4 hrs since D2? Like pp say, as long as there's dd, there will b supply to match it. I was given motilium fm D2 in hospital n tat's supposed to help wif milk flow, perhaps tat got it started. But i've cut down fm 3 to 1 tab a day since it's a drug afterall. I take a herbal supplement fenugreek instead tat's supposed to help wif milk fliw too.

My elder boy's takin abt 65ml now, younger one abt 50ml. I dun latch them on, simply express out for them, so tat i can monitor their intake n make sure they r increasin their feeds to put on weight...

hi mummies, does anyone out there have taken jabs to mature the babies' lungs? Is the jab painful? Gynae has advised me to take the jabs this Friday. I'm in my 35 weeks 2 days, scheduling for c sect next Thurs at 36 week 4 days.

thanks.

Joanne,
ya, the pure chicken essence can DIY one, and rem to crush the chicken bones bf u put to steam, so that e "essence" can come out..i dunno if it helps in milk supply, but supposely take more soup is gd! my twins are 19+ weeks now =)

Snowy
I took e jab also, since i cant rem if it's painful or not, so i assume shd be nothing la...=P

Yup I took the two jabs in the butt and it's so painful my face was flushed for two days and my blood pressure went up to 180 from 120.

I took my first jab .. It's more painful than normal jab but still bearable ...

Joleen u still working? I requested for hospitalization leave at week 34 ... I think it helps... Im nearing end of week 35 & scheduling c sect next thurs at week 36+4 .praying all goes smoothly then!

Hi all, it's tough juggling all at home! My T1 came home at D18 and T2 came home D19. Both spent 2 weeks in NICU and less than a week in normal nursery.

The first week we fed them 50ml 3 hourly and weight gain was good. Now its 60ml. It's the second week now and I'm trying to latch on T2 cos she sucks better. Im hoping to produce more but now cos its the initial stage of bf, the feedings are v irregular. I bf on demand which sometimes can be hourly. Thus hard to pump further at times. And I worry the amount intake and if she's growing well. I'm also those not big producer. The last I could pump was 90ml before I started latching. Initially when they came home I pumped and fed both ebm in the day and fm at night. Now T2 in on bf while T1 finished the stored ebm and is now on fm. Should I go back to pure pumping? Or should I continue to latch and pump to try and produce more? I ate the pill pooh mentioned once in a while too. Should I get from my gynae and eat on more regular basis instead?

Really hope to give them bm cos they regurgitate more often when it's formula...

Hi skyanne,
you can get more of the lactation pill from you GP too. I go Raffles Medical and they have it. My supply drop tremendously when i returned to work and had no time to pump in office. After taking 3 pills a day, supply resume to my supply during my maternity leave. Once establish the supply, can reduce to 1 pill a day. Most impt, bf mums need to take lots of water!

My girls had the regurgitation prob too in their 1st mth. PD advise to feed them less amt, but more frequently. (every 2-2.5hrs)

Hi skyanne.

I think at the end of e day it's yr call. I tried latchin T1 a few times n in e end decided it's easier to jus bottle feed them both ebm. Cos wif latchin on u basically feed on demand cos u dunno how much baby's takin. I found it more tirin, compared to now when i know when my babies will b hungry n i can schedule my pumpin accordingly. So see which suit u n yr babies' needs more.

Jus to share my expreience wif no latch on - as long as u pump regularly, yr milk will flow. I pump 4 hourly now, n each time i get an average of 200ml fm both breasts - at this pt, this amt is suff to feed both babies n freeze for storage at e same time
happy.gif

Hi All,

I have pre-loved baby boy and girl items to clear:

1. Mothercare baby car seat @ S$69 (RP$199).
2. Brand New Braun Hand Blender @ S$39.90 (RP$59).
3. Swimming Tub @ S$40.
4. Medela Mini Electric Breast Pump @ S$80 (RP$ 169).
5. New baby formula bottles @ S$10 for a set of 3 pcs.
6. Piano Musical for Cot/ Floor @ S$10.
7. Musical for Cot @ S$20.
8. ELC Blossomfarm sit me up cosy age 0-12 mths @ S$45 (RP$129).
9. Baby boy and girl cloths.

Interested please SMS 9833 9315.

Thank you!

Hi beautiful seeds and pooh,

Thank you so much for your valuable advice. I think I will go back to pumping for now and will get more pills from my gynae. I think mine was motill something. What were yours?
I was engorged and fed T2 but end up she's still asking g for milk hourly. Now I gave her one bottle of ebm and she finished it v quickly! Omg... That means she not taking much from latching! I will pump diligently!

Hi Skyanne.

I also had tat prob when i latched T1 on previously - he doesnt seem to ever get enuf altho he had sucked for 15 mins in a row. He wld cry every 15mins after tat for more milk, so i really wondered how much he took in tat 15mins of latch on. It became too tiring to manage his feeds, so i went back to bottle feedin ebm.

Now, they cry for their milk every 3 hourly so it's easier for us, we roughly know when to feed. If one wakes up earlier than feedin time wif e suckin motion, we take it he doesnt hv enuf n it's time to increase milk volume.

E medicine for milk production is called motilium...

Hi pooh, thanks! Glad to hear that I'm not alone. I'm wondering if it's because of their gestational age that's why they can't suckle till they are full and then fall asleep.
Btw, do you all experience this problem? My babies finished their ebm 60ml, they feed between 20-45min. Sometimes they still root for milk when we put them down. So we give a top up between 10-30ml. Probably by then they fall asleep but it breaks the three hourly feeds routine. Do you start counting three hours from the 60ml feed or the top up feeds?
Btw how much are your babies feeding, pooh? Mine at gestational age 37+ and chronological age 1 month @ 60ml. Is it too little or too much? Should we move them up to 70ml? When do we really know they are ready for more?

Mine also 37+ weeks in gestational age. T1@70ml n T2@60ml. There's no hard n fast rule how much they shd b drinkin, our PD says as long as takin bet 35-45ml per feed it's fine.

We dun top up their feeds cos they're usually q contented after each. N they drink - no, gulp - their milk v fast, done in 10-15 mins. Burpin takes longer tho.

If your babies still can take more after 60ml, mayb it's time to increase e volume?

Hi All.. I would like to join this thread. I am expecting twins and currently at 16 wks.. hope to learn more from all of you here :)

Hi Skyanne,
i'm taking domperidone. i search online and found that actually domperidone and Motilium r the same thing. i heard from a pharmacist that we can buy at pharmacy if you say that you are getting it to ease wind/gas in stomach. if you say u need it for lactation purpose, need a prescription.

hi all,

there is no hard and fast rule to feeding babies or even prematures. it all depends on babies themselves. some take more some take less but as long as they are gaining weight then its ok.

hi mc 007, welcome to the group. congrats to your expecting of twins. Seems its getting more and more common for twins this year. I am coming to 31 wks end of this week. Hanging on...gynae wants me to hang on till 37...but i am so aching and paining in all parts of my bones.

I am not working and a sahm to a bubbly horribly notti terrible two toddler boy.

Hi mc_007. Welcome to the group. Am sure you will get all the support and information from this group. Congrats on your twins.
happy.gif

I am in my 31weeks now and still trying to hold on till at least 37 weeks. Every week they stay in is a bonus. Gynae had given me medication and injection to help me reduce the risk of preterm labour. However, I am suffering badly from water retention now with swollen feet and hands. lol

Is this your first pregnancy?

Hi all, my twin boys are coming to 2 months and were delivered at mt A at 35 weeks+. Tried to hold on till 37 weeks but was having regular contractions my gynae decided not to wait any longer.

Am so envious that some mummies here have an abundant milk supply. I am currently trying to increase my milk supply, not enough for my boys and have to supplement with FM. Trying motillum but it doesnt seem to work for me. I am now taking 3 tabs 3x a day before meals for the last 5 days but dont feel anything different with my milk supply.

Can any mummies here pls advise what dosage you are on and how long have you been taking this for it to work? Also, how long can I continue on this medication once I see results, for as long as I am breastfeeding? Thanks for the advice!

My twins are 3+ months now. I expressing exclusively as I find it too time consuming to latch them on and i dun like the uncertainty of wondering how much they are drinking. So far t1 on 2 formula a day while t2 full bm.

They currently taking in 110 ml three hourly. Night time stretch longer to four five hours. Took fenugreek 3 tabs and domperidone 2 tabs three times a day for 10 days then stop whenever I wanna increase my supply.

Hi all.

My boys now slightly more than one month n r on full bm. Lately, when burpin durin their feeds, they often curl up their legs n their faces hv an agonising look n turn red like they r in pain. I think it's gas. Even tho they let out 1-2 audible burps, they still do this a few times at every feed/burp.

Not sure if it's becos of the gas, they cry v often, stimes during or in between sleeps.

How do we help to further reduce their pain/discomfort fm gas?

Hi serene
I am taking only 2 tabs of fenugreek 3 times a day.. I hv domperidone, u mean we can combine to take to increase milk intake? Whats the purpose of domperidone?

Hi pooh
What is Motilium?

Hi gals
So envy tt u gals got so much bm.. Me try pump today n miserable only hv 40ml of bm despite taking freeguek..;(

Can anyone advise how can i take care two bbies at night to maximise resting time? If need pump n feed both bbies every 3 hrly, i think sure not enough rest so wonder how u gals do? My bbies are at their 5th wk now.. Also, do u let ur bbies sleep in aircon rm after bbies full mth? How to ensure they dun catch a cold? Thk u all for ur kind advise..;)

Hi pooh, my mom taught me to rub ruyi oil on my palm till it's warm then lightly press it on the lower back of the babies. It works, after a while my babies will let out gas a few times. You may want to try. Btw, were you the one who said you hand squeezed your bm? What type of container did you expressed into? I realised that hand express gets more and faster than my pump. ;p Do you sterilize your container?

Hi serene, your babies were also 30+ weekers, right? May I know how are they doing now? My babies were born at 33 weeks. I'm worried if they will be able to catch up on those babies developmental milestones.

Mommies with preemies, what do your pds say about their future development in time to come? Any complications so far or in future as 33 weekers?

I combine the two drugs as kkh told me to do so. Everytime I take consistently for 10 days will increase supply by about 100 to 200 ml per day. Then stop taking altogether and supply maintains as long as I pump three hourly in the day and four to six hourly at night.

My babies are born 33 weeks 3 days. My babies now 3 months plus already 5.05 and 5.3 kg. no longer look like premature babies. They were born 1.67 and 1.95 kg respectively. Most importantly must be hardworking and wake up to feed them three hourly till they hit 4-5 kg then u can start doing away with night feeds but at most six hours must feed them at night. That's what the doctor told me. The pd say will catch up by 2 years of age but mentioned that my boys already catch up.

In order to ensure the best care and sufficient sleep for us mummies at night, I separate my boys at night and my husband will feed one twin while my mum feed another twin and for me will be pumping to maintain supply. Sleep and hydration is the key to sufficient milk supply. Now that they can do without night feeds, we let them sleep together.

Hi Joanne,

Motillum is actually Domperidone, same thing
happy.gif
I think I will try to take it again for 10 days and see if it works this time... Fenugreek has little effect on me. So envy of the mummies who can full bf both twins!

You can probably save some time and rest more if your twins feed at approx the same time. Mine do, so once I settle my twins feeds and they are sleeping, I will pump. After pump, I take a quick nap before their next feed...

And yes, my twins sleep in aircon room. I actually tested them in both and its true babies can sleep better (and longer)in aircon room. I dress them in their usual rompers and add on a blanket for additional warmth. So far OK.

for me, i changed my bb into rompers and add on long pants when they zzz at night, i dont give them blanket as my bb now can grab and flip, trying to avoid any accident happened..=)

Hi skyanne. I tried ruyi oil already but my CL says to put palm on babies' tummies leh, not on back. We hv not been consistent in applying e oil, will try to do so more often.

Yes, i hand expressed for e first week - cos i din realise my medela freestyle pump was faulty! Until a fren came wif her set n we realised mine was not pullin e nipple in as well as her pump. After changin it works well now, m able to pump 200-300ml each time on both breasts simultaneously.

Wat pump r u usin? Medela freestyle is ex but i find it one of my most worthwhile investments. Yr hands r free as u pump both breasts simultaneousy, leavin u e freedom to read or surf e net. I reply to this forum mostly while pumpin, lol...

I need to warn u, hand express is v stressful on yr hands. I did it for only one week n my hands r still achin a little now.....

Hi Serene,

Wow! Your babies are doing great! Motivation to us... ;) How long do you break after the ten days of motillium?

Hi Pooh,

Yup, I'm using a freestyle too. But I find that sometimes it doesn't really help me to empty my breasts. Now I'm wondering if mine could be faulty too...? My mom said that they are v young, so asked me to apply on lower backs instead if tummy. But I guess if they are able to pass out gas, it's fine.

I just take the drugs when my babies need more milk and I not producing enough. Need to pump diligently for those ten days to increase supply.

Hi skyanne.

Try 'preparing' yr breasts b4 the pump - massage e breasts well, n express some milk fm ard e aerola first. I find this helps to loosen e ducts n get e flow going. Then pump.

Doesnt work all e time tho. I'm able to empty one breast q well every pump but e other is 'stubborn' - still feels a little full after pumping. I also like the loose n empty feelin after pumpin so i usually hand express e remainin fm this breast n use opp to flatten any bumps/blocked areas. This stimes helps for next pumpin session.

But also check on e pump - r yr nipples pulled into e funnels when u pump? They shd b. Doesnt really matter e pump level, i'm usin level 4 only in letdown mode but my nipples r well drawn in durin pumpin. If yourz r not, mayb not workin v well...

Thks all for ur advise.. I oso feel tt bbies will sleep longer in aircon environment due to the peacefulness..;) just worry they will catch a cold.. Do ur bbies wear cap when sleep?
Guess i am just not hardworking in pumping as is so demoralise to see so little milk pump out when pump..;(

Btw gals, do u always sterilize ur pump after each use? As if pump 3 times at night and got to sterilize 3 times? Xiong woah.. I didnt hv enough sleep last night due to take care my bbies myself.. Almost wakeup every hr..;( i feel bad trouble my mum so chase her hm to rest well.. Ur hb no need work next day? As i worry hb will tired out doing night feeding so stop him fr helping though he tries to help..

I used to buy extra hand held pumps to avoid washing n steriliaing in middle of night. Then was taught by friend to keep pump in ziplock bag (of course not the motor n tube) n store in fridge till next pump time then no need to keep washing n sterilizing.

I tell my husband it's part and parcel of being a father of twins. Everyone have to chip in to help if not we mummies of twins sure depressed.

Hi, I've just given birth to my twin girls at 31 wks. 1.66 and 1.67 kg. feel so heartache to see them in the nicu. Anyone has the same experience, wondering how long does it takes for my babies to go home with me.

Yup I wash and sterilize after each pump. Will continue to do so until bbs are a bit older.

My hubby doesnt help out much with the night feeds too as my MIL is with us. But i get him involved with bedtime stories and showering the boys to give them some bonding time. And he takes over on Fri nights and the weekends so I can get some rest.

Hi Raerae,

Congrats! Dont worry, your twins will be fine! Mine were in NICU for awhile too... take this time now to rest and get your milk supply going! When they go home, you wont have time to rest
happy.gif

Hi rae.

My boys came out at 34 weeks. The elder boy at 2kg stayed for a week in nicu, younger boy at 1.8kg stayed 16 days. Breathing ok for them, jus needed to learn to suck.

So it dpds on how yr babies do n yr PD but i'd think they may stay ard 3 wks? Make use of this time to rest n recover. Make occasional trips back to see them after discharge but dn't overdo it. I aggravated my already bad backache in e first two weeks cos went back to hodpital too often i think.

Hi Rae, I understand how you feel. How are they doing? My girls came at 33 weeks weighing 1.7kg. They stayed for two weeks in nicu and less than a week in normal nursery. Like pooh, it's mainly to learn to suck. It's normal to feel the pain especially when they have so many things stuck to them. I was also in a "denial" stage where I didn't want to show the photos to anyone. So when people asked me how they were, I just said okay. It was only when they came home then I started showing photos of them. You are the mom, natural to feel the pain. Do what's best for you and your family. Jia you! We are all here for you! Somehow I feel that only those who went thru the same thing will understand.

neona,
maybe you need to increase the amt of fluid you take in daily. i can see the difference in my case when i'm too bz to drink water.

pooh,
the gas may be due to your diet. try to avoid those food that will generate gas (e.g. soya bean, sweet potato). i apply ruyi oil on my twins stomach from the day they discharge. i think put tummy or back shld both be ok since purpose to keep bb warm and expel the gal. just hav to make sure u put the oil on ur palms and rub. cannot put directly on their skin cos ur newborn skin still very tender. btw, i saw on the ruyi oil tv commercial that can apply on bb feet too and i've done that as well
happy.gif

skyanne,
adding on to ppoh's advice.. do also check if your funnel size is correct. if too small can cause block ducts and milk will not flow properly. i'm using medela pump in style (PISA) and the large funnel. PISA is the most powerful model of medela but have to bear with the hassle of carrying a backpack for the pump.

Joanne,
i bought extra set of the breast pump parts. i wash the parts after every express. when 2 sets r used up, i sterlize tog with the bottles and teats. i have in total 10 teats, 15 breast milk storage bottles. save a lot of hassle since i do not have to sterlize after every feed. save time and money (sterlizer high voltage). Since my twins are already turn 6mths this week and in fact we brought them for a short holiday on a cruise for past 3 days. so i've slowly stop sterlizing their stuff..
but relly depends on individuals. i have fren who didnt sterlize a single item from the moment bb discharge but another fren who still sterlize when bb is alr 2 yrs old.

Hi beautiful seeds.

I'm thinkin of gettin a spare set of parts too, esp for nite pumps. Where did u find n buy them? Dunno of any pl tat sells all e parts. I'm usin freestyle.

My smaller twin was born at 33 weeks 3 days at 1.67 kg. breathing was ok but sucking was really bad. Can't breathe and suck at the same time. Will turn blue when he sucks. Was in special care nursery for two weeks and step down care for one week. There was the drip and the feeding tube attached. I was also very sad then and felt the heartache when I saw him. After three and half weeks, he was discharged after hitting 2 kg. Take the time to really rest and recuperate and yes, it is good if you can build up your milk supply but if u experience low milk supply, don't despair.

Now at 3 and half months, he is 5.1kg and doing well.

Thk u girls so much for ur advise.. Is so tired to care for 2 bbies n pump milk in middle of night.. Just inly few days n i feel drain out.. Think tonight will asks my hb take care onen i take care another n pump.. Hope can hv at least 5 hr of sleep tonight..;(

Hi beautifulseed
Think i am too tired to pump every 3 hourly.. Just want to sleep..;( so worry my supply will drop.. Me oso using PISA.. Can i check with u... When we on the power, u let it run for awhile or press the let down button straight away? Dun know how to use this thing? How long u pump each time? At least is worth for u to buy spare parts.. My supply so low tt i feel i shd save the $ to buy milk powder..;( each pump only hv 40/50ml of milk despite eating freeguek n domeplino..;(

I also using Pisa. I pump half an hour each time, just let it run on its own, didn't press any button. My supply increase at week 3 week 6 and 3 months.

Hi serene
Is it normal tt supply remain same for few days and then sudden increase? These few days, my supply still low at 40/50ml despite take more freeguek..;( oh, u pump 30mins every 3hr? Thot LC say 20mins each time pump... So no need press the letdown button at all huh? Thks so much for ur advise.. Hope bm supply will increase..

Btw, , if i already hv some ebm in fridge, can i add on the next ebm to the same container? (previous pump at 11pm and next pump at 3am) As i just start pumping.. Last month always latch on.. Hope someone can advise me.. Thk u so much..

Back