(2012/05) May 2012

Miss Freedom: My son is like yours.. Refuse to latch so I pump exclusively. Even if he does latch he do it for like 5 mins? And I have to pump anyway. Whereas my gal likes the comfort of the breast. My children are 3 years apart. Same like Dolly's.
happy.gif

U are still young!! I had my son at 33 and now I'm 36. So stopping at 2. It's tough right now cos both still need a lot of attention and sometimes u dun feel fair to the elder one cos the baby constantly needs attention. But my children are my life, they never feel to bring a smile to your face everyday. Though there are times where they drive you nuts too!
happy.gif

My son loves his sister to bits. Though there are times when he disturb her like pulling her hands/feet or wake her when she's sleeping. :S

I would say 2-4 years is a good age gap.

Hi Dolly
happy.gif

Yes latching on is so much easier. My boy was fully latch on when I was on maternity leave. Now back to work and boy in infant care, I have to pump at work while he feeds on ebm . At night then back to latch on.

Hi FAAA
happy.gif

Yes ! Me too! V lazy to wash and sterilise all the parts after pumping heehee :p

Miss Freedom: Yes, managing 2 is tough, I don't have a maid so when I collect them back from nanny place at night my home become kinda mad house! haha, not still dun dare to bring both out alone yet. But sometimes when hubby need to concentrate, then we will go out and I'll bring the 2 to window shop. Must bring along a carrier and the stroller though
happy.gif
And yeah, find the disable toilet if you need to cos our stroller can go in together.

liang2: Has been trying to train my boy to sleep in his room for almost a year? My hubby will sleep there but not necessary him! He might even creep back after my hubby is asleep. And yeah having both of them on the same bed and both not sleeping yet is really tough! But when they finally sleep, I feel so good! My boy will disturb us and yeah, my gal will cry a bit and my boy will accuse her of creating noise!

FAAA: My age is more "advanced" then you man! hahaha

Lainey: Yeah, at night just latch on lah! Your boy no problem w bottle? My gal kinda struggle with it.

Sterilizing parts: Since our baby already taking solid and we dun sterilize those bowls and spoon, do we still need to sterilize the pump parts? hehe

Miss freedom, Same as u, I pump exclusively right from the start, sometimes dont have the mummy feel cos my gal doesn't latch on, only when she cries and only I can soothe her, then I felt like a mum.

Also kudos to rest of Mummies who can cope with 2, its my first n im alr thinking to stop at 1, in the past, still thought of trying for a boi for 2nd but im alr tired by just one. Cant imagine having to go thru another ordeal.

Dolly2009 & FAAA: I'm already 35 this year and my boy is only my first. Being an only child, i tot it will be good to have 2 children but having my first children at this age left me with a very small window period for another one. After having my boy, I find it very tiring mentally and physically so I don't know if I can still cope with another baby. Dolly2009, do u intend to let yr boy sleep in his own room and yr gal in yours or both to share a bedroom? Is it ok to let a child and a baby to sleep together in their own bedroom?

liang2: My boy has his own room but now my hubby is sleeping with him. My gal shares the same room as me. Intend to keep it this way until maybe my gal is 3? End up most prob my gal will have to share a room with the helper as we live in a flat and there's no maid's room.

I think sharing room is not an issue when they are young until maybe when they are going to primary school and they need their own space. Boy and gal better to separate room when they get older.

Dolly: Buy those rubber mat to place in the bath tub. My gal likes to push herself so she is submerged in the water even when I put her in sitting position.

Actually it's not necessary to sterlize the pump parts. Only need to do it once a day. I spoon feed my gal water too. Cups, bowls spoons are not sterlized.
happy.gif

Dolly,
My boy same! He doesn't want bottle when he is at home. When we give him bottle at home he gets v angry and cry v loud. But he is ok when the teachers give him bottle at infant care =___=
Oh yah, forgot to mention he latches on during weekends too besides weekday nights.

Any mummies also facing similar situation?

Lainey & Dolly: How often does your babies latch on during weekends? How many hours interval? My girl can go up to 3-4hrs. I also latch on on weeknights and weekends. But sometimes feel that breasts still full

I used to alternate between latching on and expressing last time. Coz wanted to let hubby bond with my girl too. Then suddenly got one time my girl 'forgot' how to drink from bottle, my hubby had a hard time feeding her and got very frustrated. From then on, I hardly latched her on, for fear that she will refuse the bottle. It would have been a problem going to work. Now she doesn't want to latch on anymore. I felt very upset at one point. Still quite sad but kind of accepted it already. Miss those times latching her on. The kind of bond and closeness only mummies will understand.

I only sterilise my pump parts and milk bottles once a day. Sometimes I'm too busy, may not even do so. I think it's ok already. Baby's immune system is strong enough.

I put the anti-slip mat in my girl's tub when we bathe her. She's very squirmy in the tub. Cannot keep still. And keep splashing water onto me or hubby. Very hard to bathe but very funny. She hates to wash her hair (she has a lot of hair!), I will cradle her head while she's in the water n wash the top of her head n sides, then let her sit up to wash the back. But must do it quickly, or else she'll complain or start crying.

I'm 36 this year and my girl is 1st child. I'm hoping to have 2 more although it is very tiring. Especially when my girl has pretty serious reflux condition. It's really very exhausting taking care of her. But she is such a smiley and expressive girl, She brings us a lot of joy. So I definitely think that no matter how difficult, I'd want more kids. Hopefully can have no. 2 in 2014. And no. 3 by the time I hit 40?

FAAA: Im also staying in a flat and my parents will come over to help out when I go back to work so I suppose I have to put my boy together with #2 if I ever have one.

Hui Yuin: After having my boy, my hubby and I have a few more minor arguments, I tend to get very impatient, maybe becos I'm tired. However, despite all these and the exhaustion, a boy is our life now, he really brings along lots of joy and laughter to ours. Actually with more children, are you afraid that you wouldn't have enough energy to keep up? The other thing is that the children will still be quite young when we hit our retirement age? All these questions just keep popping into my head whenever I start to consider the important question. I want to happily bring my #2 into our lives and not end up with blame and regrets. I think I'm just a born worrier but I really cant help it.

liang2: I'm your age when I had #1, no worries, this phase will pass and u can hv one more again...and again?? haha

now they are all in my room, so yeah, they are sharing the same room
happy.gif

The retirement part also hit me, cos I'm also reaching 40 now... dun think we can work till 70 yah? That's why I think we should look for passive income now
happy.gif

We can work till about 60-65. By then our kids should be starting to have their own incomes. Just have to get some long term savings plan for each kid.

liang2: I never go organic with #1. I will just buy Japanese sweet potato, pumpkin, carrot, apple etc. if I steam sweet potato with pumpkin I make abt 3 serves and freeze the rest. At 6 months I also start on egg yolk.

My baby is going 5 months next weekend but she's still solely on milk.

Just bought 3 wacoal nursing bra at taka lingerie fair, it's $21.6 each! Very cheap. But they are wired , anyway can wear after nursing too

Dolly: How often does your gal nurse now? The bras are very cheap. Maybe I will go take a look tmr but scared to drive with my gal alone

FAAA: Yes, and they are comfy too, but Size 80 only left w cup B cos I snapped 80C all up :p
I din check other size though, the bras are near the window display, got pink, green and yellow, all sweet pastel color. Sale till 23/10 only, at B1 the event area.

Frankly, I dun even dare to drive .... hahaha

BTW, was plesantly suprised when the gal said size 80 will do, cos was telling her 80 or 85 also can. My size was 80, but after giving birth got to wear w bra extender or size 85, now no need liao! HAHA, so its not that my older bra getting loose, it's that I'm really getting back in shape!

Good news for you Dolly!!
happy.gif
since you snap up all 80C then no point for me to go down already. I really need some nice wired bras. Those I have now mostly cotton.. Don't look nice with clothes. Ya, mine the elastic very worn already only can wear at home. Bought some from FB too but also cotton. Is Wacoal ones lacey like normal bras?

Btw since you have no helper how you cope with the kids and housework? I'm trying very hard but the house is messy messy

My gal started to reject BM from the bottle. Dunno whether to continue pumping.. Shd I just latch on at night and give FM in the day?

She's getting very attached to me cos now I'm looking after her 24/7. Gets especially bad at night, look for me only. If hubby carries her she can cry the house down

Dear mummies, any of your babies started teething already?
I suspect my boy has developed symptoms. He had fever recently but recovered. These few days he is cranky and keeps wanting to be carried. He cried and shout more often than usual and he drools big patches over the shoulder of the person carrying him. Notice he also keeps stuffing fingers into his mouth, like trying to touch his gums. Even when he latches on, he will try to stuff fingers into his mouth.
And tonight he has got difficulties sleeping, keeps waking up and cry, stuff fingers into his mouth, seems to be feeling uncomfortable with his gums
sad.gif

FAAA: u mean she takes fm in bottle but not bm in bottle? Wow, got character! Mine seems to be ok at the nanny place though. So I dun think too much. How's your supply now? If still ok then can continue to pump. Ur bm can then mixed w rice cereal later
happy.gif

My baby also wan me only! So tiring. But late I tried put her on play mat w things dangling on top, she can stay there for a few min. But if I put her in stroller, she cries after few seconds!
Lainey: my gal used to drool a lot, now not so, but no teeth yet leh

Dolly: I haven't been feeding much FM so can't tell if she will take FM. It can be 4-5hrs since her last feed and she still refuse to finish the bottle. Wasted all the BM sometimes can throw away more than half bottle.

Do you think she's confused? Cos I latch her over weekends and if I give her bottle during weekdays she dun want. It's not good cos ultimately I have to go bk to work and I cannot latch her all the time. So now she still has to take the bottle every now and then

Now I'm pumping only once a day between 3-4pm. Get abt
160-180ml. I last latch her in the morning abt 9am. She hardly sleep also making it very difficult to get anything done

Previously my boy always drool a lot, but lately not so. I also that he is teething but till now nothing happens. My boy always sleep through for 12 hrs, but these two days he had been crying for no reason at 7pm. Wonder if he is teething.

My boy has been drinking lesser milk too and he doesn't cry for milk at all. At times can be more than 5 hours and still not wanting to drink. Even if I feed him after 5 hours, he will not finish at all. I wonder if is due to cereals. Probably solid food is making him full.

I am wondering if anyone squeeze 3 pumping sessions at work then last pump before bed? I'm thinking to try ie 730 pump at home then leave for work, then at office pump at 1130,230,530 (3hour) then at night pump before bedtime (5-6hour gap). According to my LC told me, our breast will get trained to produce milk if we pump specific time everyday, but i wonder if follow my suggested schedule then weekend will easily get engorged during the day if no time to pump so regular.

My boy doesnt want to latch unless night feed, funny he used to refuse bottle and i had a hard time training him, now he accept bottle then refuse breast.. Argh!

My frozen bm supply has depleted. Can't pump mOre than once at office. Read somewhere tt we must pumP bet 1-5am to "prolong" bf? True? Getting real exhausted with pumP routine but hope to persevere until at least 6th mth. Pump at public nursing room has been stressful with dunno when someone just kept knocking / those stares like I can't be inside without a bb.

Hi mummies, anyone send babies to infant care? How do you manage your feeding schedule now that you might have introduced solid food? I realized after fetching my son from the infant care centre, I will reach home around 7.30pm or 8pm. Will it be too late to give cereal t about 8.30pm and to sleep at 9pm?

Which FM are u giving your baby? I heard Nan is 'closest' to BM, i'm thinking of getting my baby to try transit FM gradually, after i stop BF. Now i hardly freeze milk as he drinks chilled milk when i working. I read in another thread some mummies comment that certain FM cause constipation (Similac) and is heaty (S26), anyone have experience? There are so many FM out there, dont know which to give and confused.

Hi

My boy 2 lower teeth came out when he was 5 months 2 weeks. He did not have fever or cranky. Just hv itching gum and keep wanting to chew things. Teether (cooled in refrigerator) helps to sooth the gum.

My boy is on Friso Gold. So far , he is ok.

Today my gal had a high fever (38.5) when she woke up from her nap. Brought her to the pd and suspected UTI. Took urine sample. Now waiting for results.
sad.gif

If fever don't go down in 48hrs she will have to be hospitalised. She hasn't been drinking and sleeping much

FAAA: How's your gal now? Hope she's fine, maybe that's why she refused bottles?

My #1 gotten UTI when he's around 6 mth old, took Augmentin and nothing much else though. The urine sample is very TOUGH to take! My hubby waited for like few hours on the second time and he just won't pee!

rabbitz: your schedule very vigorous leh! I only pump twice a day

CK: hehe, no worries lah, you are pumping mah, also kinda nursing right?

My gal has been waking and latching almost 2 hourly at night! Tiring!

Dolly: Still running high fever.. 38.4. Getting very cranky and worrying. Plus she started to be down with flu, stuffy nose. Ya, doc prescribed Augmentin and some probiotics in case the antibiotics give her runny stools. She has to go back review in one week's time.

She's nursing now.. Probably just latch her on these few days. And we are supposed to go for a staycation at RWS this Fri. :S

dolly: my boy doesnt want to latch at all so no choice i have to pump morning and night although with baby at home.

Pump 5x daily really very tiring. Go back home so tired still hv to rush rush wash n sterilize medela bottles for next day bring to office use.

lack of sleep is killer! today 3rd day back at work, eyes can hardly open.

Body @ work, mind and heart with baby.

Hi FAAA

Hope your girl will recover fast. My #1 experienced that too, so understand how you feel. Have to be very careful when cleaning for girl, must be from back to front.

You take care too

Hi all, baby's fever subsided. Thanks for concern. Also dunno how she get UTI

rabbitz: Why need to pump so many times? Baby shd be starting solids soon so no need so much milk?

Miss Freedom: To feed cereal/purée at 8:30pm is kinda late. Maybe you can get the infant care to feed him abt 5:30-6pm?

Ladies: how's everyone doing. i havent been here in a while!

my bb girl is coming to 6 months. time really flies! we experimenting with solids now (so far cereal and carrot only though). however, her milk feeds drop drastically when fed solids, so we are still tweaking the amounts of solids fed to her.. going to try pumpkin and sweet potato this weekend. excited!

on another note, my FIL came to visit last Sunday and he brought durians (how nice of him). BUT he tried to feed the baby durian too! OMG. i almost went ballistic. he's the kind that will try to feed babies everything. he thinks it's cute. =( i know cos i've seen it first hand when my nephews were young... he's always slipping them food (e.g. soda, tea, nuts) when he thinks the parents are not looking.

How to nicely tell him to NOT DO THAT TO MY BABY! I tried telling my husband but he just nodded and smiled weakly. Totally not counting on him to tell his dad off lor.

i would like to hear some suggestions on baby carrier. Now using Bjorn but gives me back pain plus the legs dangling position is not good for baby. I intend to get another one, considering ERGO, BECO Gemini (only this has front facing) or Manduca. Any reviews which is good? I see a lot of pple selling their BECO Butterfuly, duno is it cos its not good?

Hi FAAA, maybe changing the diapers more often does help in preventing UTI. It happened to my friend's baby and this is what the pd suggested.

I guess 5.30pm might be a gd timing to feed dinner. Will probably ask the infant care to do so.

Hi rabbitz, personally I prefer manduca cos of the way baby is seated in the carrier. The legs are positioned in a m shape position which seems to be more comfortable for baby. I can use manduca for around 3 hours and will need a break before continuing. I will experience backache if I carry for too long. After all having a 7kg baby on anyone is really not easy.
happy.gif

Btw, I always bring a carrier out even with stroller as my boy seems to be able to sleep long hours in carrier than stroller. So if going out for the whole day, I will definitely bring my manduca along.

Dolly2009: I have decided to consider no.2 when we can cope better with our boy. I regretted not starting a family much earlier.

FAAA: so glad that your gal's fever subsided. You must be quite stressful up. Btw, I managed to adjust my boy's sleeping hour to 8.30pm -8.30pm, i delayed his sleeping time bit by bit, like what you suggested. Now, we can wake up abit late :p

Olivia: maybe you can try to forward some information to your husband so that he understand your concern. Once he understand then hopefully he can speak to your FIL.

My son is drooling like crazy, he can wet his whole chest and arms. There are always patches of saliva all over his baby gym. He even develop drool rash. I doubt he is teething, I can't feel anything when I touch his gum.

Hi Rabbit, I'm using ergo. So far so good
happy.gif

Hi Liang2,
Same here! My boy drools a lot nowadays too. I'm also not sure if he is teething. I fridge the teether in the fridge before giving to him. Sometimes he seems to enjoy it. Lol :p

UTI:
My gal had fever fits last Wednesday, the fever just won't go away and as it's too young for her to have fever fits as normally it only happen to baby from 6 mths onwards and she's only 4+mths.

Got hospitalized to monitor too see if there is anymore of fever fits. Did some tests and shown that it's UTI. They then gave antibiotics and when the fever subsided, she was discharged with 6 mths of antibiotics and to return for a kidney scan.

I didn't know that UTI can be so serious...

Back