(2012/05) May 2012

Hi miss freedom I remove my bb's mittens periodically, after shower to let him feel and play with his fingers and when he's on rocker chair. I'm afraid he'll stratch his face so still keeping mittens on. So far so good. Don't intend to introduce pacifier.

Any mummies have a responsible and reliable part time cleaner contact to share? I need one urgently next week as my helper fractured her leg and need to rest for 6 months. Appreciate your help here.

Miss Freedom: my baby latches on demand and can feed from 10 min to 45 min depending on how strongly she sucks. but when i feed her ebm, she only takes about 60ml - 80ml. baby is nine weeks now. she was 5.3kg last fri.

i keep her mittens on cos she likes to scratch and rub her face and eyes. but, Phyllis,removing them to let baby feel and play with fingers is a good idea. I will try that today.

i tried giving ger pacifier but she is not keen. will pop it out after one suck or two. she started with sucking her thumbs alternately but now when she's hungry she will suck her entire fist or her mittens. she does not like the pacifier. i think each baby different cos my elder daughter immediately took to the pacifier and was only weaned after two and a half. i had to keep several handy with her cos that was the one thing that calmed her.

Phyllis, I can share the contact of my part time cleaning lady with you if you are keen. She comes once a week to my place, 4 hrs each (flexible)..she does a really good job..

my baby also only wear mittens at night, and I also realise they like to rub their face n eyes! I thought only my boy has this habit..during the day dont rub, only at night..

my boy also likes to suck his whole hand, but he doesnt like the pacifier..tried to give him but he cry..haa..so I just leave him to be..anyway I realise he wont suck too long on his hand so I am not too concerned..

my boy is 12 weeks today, he weighs 5.8kg and takes 140ml every 3-3.5hrs..if he latches on, then I am not too sure how much he drinks..140ml is when he feeds on formula..

I am going to bring him to a GP for his second injection..hmm..I cross my fingers it is a wise decision..tot we shd only go PD when he is unwell coz I really cannot tahan the parking at TMC!

>> chai
beauty loft is only $460 nett but no warranty la.. cos its US set also.. but think its cheaper than megababystore if you dont want warranty..

>> berrynaq
yup i pump more than latch.. i pump every 3 hour if possible.. but now at night dont wake up to pump le.. cos i latch bb in the morning.. and a fuller breast he dont reject.. if pump every 3 hrly is 50ml combined.. super low..
sad.gif
i am now trying malunggay tea.. hope it helps to increase supply!!

>> freedom
my bb is sucking fingers.. especially when i put him on his tummy.. i let him suck his fingers.. take away after a while he will suck again.. for pacifier i only use when we are out and he keep crying.. but i try not to use the pacifier.. my bb at day 60 is drinking 120ml 3-4hr apart.. not sure of his weight though..

>> mittens
i heard that we have to remove mittens after bb is one month.. so that they will realise they have fingers.. hence most of the time i dont let bb wear mittens.. unless we are outside in aircon places and he seem cold.. mine will also rub faces and eyes and scatch himself both day and night time..

My pd asked me to take out his mittens when we visited her. She said is time to let my baby touch already and play with his fingers. But like most mummies, I will still put his mittens on at night, scared he scratches his face. He also will rub his eyes and face whenever he is cranky and tired. I'm still swaddling my baby so he can't scratch his face at night.

Do your babies always cry before falling asleep? Be it nap or night sleep.

Miss freedom: my baby weighs 6.5kg @ 12 weeks. He drinks 120 ebm every 3 hours. What is yr baby's weight and feeding schedule?

Mittens: I also took away his mittens @ 4 weeks. I juz let him rub his face at night. Almost every morning I will find a few scratches on his face but they disappear by noon so I'm not so concern.

Liang2>> my boy weighs 6.4kg at 10 weeks. Drinking 120-140ebm every 3 hrs-3.5hrs. So in total he drinks about 5 or 6 times a day, since he is skipping 3am feed, and sometimes 12am feed. But seems like my boy is drinking lesser lately. When I prepare 140ml for him, he will only be able to finish 120ml at times.

Hi little dotty thanks for replying I've gotten a contact from my friend so will try her out. Hopefully she's good else I'll come back to you for the contact. Thanks...

Ms freedom, ur bb must be chubby. My gal only 5.3kg approaching 11weeks..

Yingzz, u really hardworking, still pumping.. I did not pump for long..how much u manage express each time?
I latch on about 4times a day now..then top up with fm
I need to drink lots of soup in order to have milk flow..

Sardonyx I bath bb twice a day once in the morning and once between 5-5.30pm. Mil says bath before sunset else bb might catch a cold.

If you want to sponge bath bb at night make sure you close the windows to prevent wind from coming in and also can't be too wet.

Mummies I know if I take the bm from refrigerator to thaw I can leave it outside at room temperature for 4 hours but what if I warm the bm how long can I leave it outside? When must bb consume the bm?

I also bathe my baby twice a day. Once in the morning and once before 5:30pm

Any mums willing to share your pumping schedule. Currently I pump 5x per day between 9am -10pm on 3-4hr schedule. Latching on from 1am-8am

Phyllis- I also keen to know how long we can leave the refrigerated milk in the warmer. What is the ideal temp?

>> wu py
haha i not hardworking la.. i just feel that sometimes pumping easier to control timing.. one thing is my boy wont be satisfied by latching.. even after latching one hour.. so i only latch in the morning.. each pump only a miserable 50ml for 3 hr interval..

>> sardonyx
i only bathe bb once a day.. usually mid day.. do you all bathe bb early in the morning?

>> Phyllis
eh by right ebm taken out of fridge should be consumed within one hr of warming up because bateria could grow.. this is unlike ebm left outside which could last 4 hours..

Dear mummies

Congrats on your newborn. My EDD is 14 feb 2013 and is looking for a good confinement lady.

If your CL is good, could you kindly recommend to me ? Thank you very much. Please send your CL contact details and reason why she is good to my email account [email protected]

Thank you very much

Yingzz>> I shower my baby in the morning. Usually between 9-10am. Then in the evening between 5-7pm, I will sponge him.

Phyllis and Yingzz>> at times I will take out my ebm from the fridge and pour into the milk bottle a few hours earlier. And when is time to feed, I will warm up the bottle. Usually I do so at night so that it will be faster to warm up when baby cry for milk. Oh no, didn't know I can't do that.

i only bathe baby once a day, first thing in the morning with my hubby. i also put kodomo lotion powder on him and rub some oil for anticolic on his head, tummy and feet. at night, just the kodomo lotion and the oil. i'm considering on giving him a sponge bath at night.

Faaa > usually I'll take out the ebm from refrigerator 15 mins before feeding time and I put 85 degrees hot water into the warmer, it's faster to warm up. Usually I'll swirl the bottle periodically to regulate the temperature a few times until it's lukewarm (note: bottle may be warm but milk is still cold). So it's an estimation of temperature. Don't leave it in the warmer for too long as it gets really hot and this kills all the good stuff in bm.

Wu py > my confinement nanny baths baby once in the morning and sponge wash him using cotton balls and cloth around 7pm. However now bb has grown I find that he perspires quite a lot especially after feeding, his head (back) is all wet and hence decided to bath him twice a day to keep him clean. He loves showers
happy.gif

Yingz > so far I let my bb consume the ebm after warming within 1 hr.

Mummyfei > try PEM confinement agency. Their nannies are all trained and you don't have to worry for last minute pull outs - they've free replacement. I tried them and the nanny which I've is fantastic. My friend recommended her and I paid $200 more for her.

Sardonyx > if possible sponge bath before 7pm. I use baby lotion, powder and ruyi oil. Oil I put on tummy, feet, back and lastly the remaining on his head.

I normally warm the milk at 45 degrees but sometimes baby sleeps past feeding time that's why I want to know how long we shd leave in warmer.

Are all of you first time mums? I'm mother to 2 but still learning

Hi mummies, sorry to interrupt your thread.. Need some advice for my 8 week old boy. Recent check up showed he weighs 4.8kg and he only drinks 80ml ebm every 2-3hrs. Seems v little compared to most of the other sweeties here.. worried it may be due to the bottle teat. He takes either a long time to drink/spills and then refuse to continue due to frustration. I pierced 3 small holes on the Avent Model No. 2 and use No. 3 in original condition. Shd I switch the teat?

My baby gal is 8 weeks old too. Drinking 110-120ml EBM or formula. Check the teat, if too small they get frustrated. Considering yours is a boy, the intake sounds little

Hi mummies,

Haven lock in for a while.

For bathing, when my cl is around, she will bath him in the morning and abt 5pm, then clean and change him at 8pm again..
But that's too much work for me.. So now, I will bath my boy in the morning abt 9am then, bath him again at 8pm,
Then feed him at abt 9pm before bed.
Becos my boy will get cranky from 6-7pm.. So I bath him 8pm to calm him down abit.. If not from 7-10pm, I will faint

Thanks for the useful info.
Boy just went to sleep after using avent no. 3 teat. Took in 80ml at one go. Usually will take 60ml.
Will try out no. 4 later to see if he can cope.

For baths:
Boy gets 2 baths at 9.30am and 5.30pm.
Each time takes approx 15mins only. Bb are quite clean sp just focus on ther bottoms.
Play and feed after the baths and he takes longer naps.

I just bought a new pump, Medela Free Style(double) coz heard that this pump can pump more milk with less time but I don't know how to use simulation mode.
I try out start with massage, 2 min simulation then 4 min express, repeat this cycle 3 times, end up pump out 90ml which is less compare with my old pump
sad.gif
which is 100ml per session with 3 hours interval.
Any idea how to do the efficient pump? 
Thank u very much.

Hi chai, I'm also using the freestyle. U can alternate between stimulation and expression mode. But to pump only 4 mins expression is too short. Btw, double time is only to shorten pumping time but doesn't mean u can express more

U are still better than me. I normally pump straight 20mins rest 5mins and pump another 10mins but only yield 80-100ml. I pump every 3hr too. Eg. 9am, 12noon, 3pm etc

Marilyn,

My boy also 8weeks old. Weigh 5.6kg now. He drinking 110ml now.. I am still using slow flow teat..I also don't know when shld i change teat..any guideline?

Thanks FAAA too :*
Pump 1/2 hours is too long for me with my old pump tags y I bought this pump... Looks like I really need to pump for 1/2 hours.. Wil try out other pump mode combination hope to fast the time. Everyday n everyday time pump for 30 min n add another 25 min for wash n sterilizer n feeding bb n take k of bb really very tire. So i m thinking to cut short the pumping time hope can rest more. ;)

Chai, was working outside n no chance to pump for 9 hours, took cab home managed to pump 250ml using freestyle in 15min. Maybe u can space it out longer?
My gal keep latching almost hourly at night though. Tiring!

Pris, wow ur boy is growing well. Last tue pd hinted I she be giving son more milk also. But he poops at least 3 times a day. Is this normal?

I think we can change teat if the bb gets too impatient/ seems to be sucking very hard/ takes way too long to finish his usual feed? May I ask how long does your son take to finish his 110ml ebm/fm?

To increase milk ss, Can take eating fenugreek seeds. 1 tbs for 2-3 days for flow to establish in week 2. Have not eaten any since then. Now at week 8, I use Avent manual pump (small assets, hee!) and can get 150-180ml in 30mins, frequency every 4 hrs.

Oops, I sterilize the pump every 12 hourly. After each pump, I will transfer the ebm into storage cups, then place the entire pump into the freezer
happy.gif
next pump session, the cold funnel also helps to create let down effect
happy.gif

Using lucky baby warmer which will sound an alarm when the bottle is ready. Milk temp really depends on water level in warmer and amount of milk in the bottle. If too hot (left in warmer for few mins after alarm went off) and bb cannot wait, I will just add 10ml chilled ebm into bottle and swirl.

Marilyn, your milk supply is good!! Normally babies take abt 10-15 mins to finish their milk.

Chai, please note not to sterlized the pump parts after every use. This was told by me by Medela service people or the connectors will lose their grip. Sterlizeonce a day will do. I din know earlier and wash and sterlize after every use. But now I only sterlize the bottles.

Btw mummies, do you rinse the bottles with warm/hot water before use from steriliser?

>> Bathing
Seems like i am the only one who bathe bb once a day..

>> EBM out of fridge
Once take out ebm from fridge, regardless of whether you warm it.. can only last 1 hr.. (i give it max 2 hr).. the sites which says four hrs are for temperate countries.. got this info from an experience mummy in FB..

>> Teats
My boy also 8 weeks old.. one to 2 weeks ago i change from avent 1 to avent 2.. so as to try to shorten feeding time.. i just tried to see if he can drink w/o choking or leaking.. since he is able to.. i replaced the teats..

>> chai
Diff pumps fit diff people.. some people actually express more with manual pumps.. mine is also 30min pump.. now i do 15 min then rest then 15 min.. but i only can get 50ml per 3 hr.. oh if you want to space out the timing.. be sure to space out slowly (like from 3 hr to maybe 3 hr 15min for a few days then increase again).. if not supply may drop..

>> marilyn
Wah ur bb poop a lot of times.. not sure if normal.. but mine dont poop everyday.. he like to store and poop all at one go..

>> FAAA
Really? Cannot sterilize after every pump? But i feel uneasy if i dont sterilize.. hmm maybe when bb is older than i wont sterilize every pump.. i dont rinse the bottle after sterilizing.. the max i lasted outside is 8 hours.. but i think depends on individual.. u can slowly drag ur timing to last outside longer..

If I don't pump for 4 hrs my breasts get hardened
sad.gif

It's really stressful when going out cos need to find nursing room, also hv to bring pump when going out, v big bag.

Marilyn: when my nb was 8w also drinks v little. PD says is ok as long as baby growing (weight n length)

I'm exclusive pumping and spaced out my pump to 5x a day, 4-5 hrs interval, 150-220ml per pump. Find it more manageable and less tiring, but only did so when I find that I can produce enough for bb. Previously ss dropped cos of blocked duct and thrush, but start to increase after I got my thrush treated and also been taking lecithin 3x a day as supplement to prevent blocked duct. So maybe you can check if you're having any breast problems and get it treated first, persevere to establish your ss, and it'll be better later after it's established and you can start to space out or drop pump. Btw I still wake up at nite to pump.

I'm feeling rather down recently, cos find that I'm unable to settle my baby when he cries and can't even get him to finish his feed at times. My mil has been staying with us and helping to take care of my bb, which I'm very grateful cos I get a lot of rest and can have time to pump without stress, but I find that bb seems to be more attached to her. Baby sleeps with her and she wakes up at night to feed him. After my maternity leave, we are considering to leave my bb at in law's place during the weekdays and go back for dinner and leave around 10pm, not sure if it's a good idea now. Any weekend parents here who can share your experience?

Btw yingzz, I also bathe my bb once a day only but wipe his face and neck with damped cloth in the evening.

When my mum helped me with confinement, baby only can be pacified by her. I can carry baby for long time but crying, once switch hands pass over to my mum, within 3sec baby stops crying. That time I felt inadequate as well.

Marilyn: I tot we hv to wash the pump after every pumping session? I'm quite sick of washing and sterilising. But I only sterilise once a day... Hee Hee.

Pumping session: yesterday I tried to cut down my pumping session from 6 to 5 times, around 4-5 hourly. Quite ok leh, enough to feed my boy. I still wake up to pump during the night.

Heat Rash: the weather is really hot these 2 days, my boy's heat rash worsen. I tried using California Calendula cream but not much improvement. Mummies, any remedies?

Food warmer: does all the mummies here use food warmer? I'm using the traditional water in the cup method. Is the food warmer useful when they are on solid? I dun wish to buy something which can only use for a very short period of time.

My boy takes about 15mins to 30mins to finish his 110ml. 30mins if he is sleepy.

I sterilize my pump parts after 2 usage. I will put it in the fridge too. I only pump about 15mins every 4hrs. Can get about 120ml.. But not engh to feed my boy. Have to give him once or twice fm at night.

My boy also don't poo everyday. Last wk he 1week didn't poo. Brought him to see pd. But he not constipation. And pd said is normal if you bf. As long as his poo not hard is ok not to poo everyday..

Hi Esteelin
Me having similar exp but with my helper instead. She is good at handling my bb and bb will settle down with her. But I tried to learn the pouch which bb likes and able to better cope. I was somewhat upset too at some point but told myself tt I should be happy tt I know someone can help to take care when I return to work soon ( trying to think happy here.)

Sterilizing
I wash and sterlise btls and pumps after every session...

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum, bb girl was born on 16 May. I've been pumping exclusively 2 weeks after the birth of my kid due to latching issues. I have had a love hate relationship with the pump cos as most pumping mothers know, it's a lot of work! Haha..recently bought 3 spare kits for my freestyle pump from megababystore and it has helped a lot. Don't have to wash and sterilise that often.

I'm currently pumping 6 times a day for 30 min (includes a middle of the night pump) and my timing quite standard unless I go out. I get about 200+ml combined for my middle of night pump and between 100-120ml for the rest of the day. My ger is a small eater and takes 100ml every 2.5-3hours so I'm still producing enough to feed her exclusively with BM and store some for the freezer.

I'm planning to drop a pump session when I hit my 12th week cos that's when the supply is more established but I'm worried about my ss dropping. It wasn't easy to get my ss up since I hardly latched so my ss is so precious to me! Haha!
But for the sake of my poor nipples which look so abused, I really want to cut down my pumping sessions
happy.gif
I have a red/pinkish ring around my nipple and I read that this is due to the suction and flanges rubbing against the aerola. It can get quite raw sometimes and when I look at it I feel sad that my breasts have become so abused due to pumping. I set at suction level 5 which is only 1 level above the default suction level so don't think it's the suction. Any other pumping mothers get this problem as well?

Esteelin: How did u know u had thrush? I suspect that I might have thrush as well cos I do get sharp stabbing pain in my breast after pumping. Can share your symptoms?

I'm moved back to stay with my parents and hired a maid so quite lucky cos I have enough time to pump so often. I try to spend time with my ger in between pumps if she's not sleeping but most of the times, my mum is looking after her. I spend a lot of time reading during my pumping sessions and have found the 5S by Dr Karp v helpful in settling down and calming a crying bb.

Back