(2012/05) May 2012

Koalarie:
I think its pretty normal that baby is fussy during that timing as my daughter is going through that phase now too... Did ask PD and he said the same thing.

Hmm Koalarie, why would baby fuss at 4am to 6am? There was this evening at about 7.30am, my boy cried and cried, had never happened before..for about 30mins..and my dog barked n barked at the same time..And I was quite helpless, afraid it is colic but luckily it didnt repeat..

wu py, i usually topped up with about 30-50ml of fm after latching, coz I think my milk is not sufficient too and sometimes he didnt suck long enough to empty the breast..but if he doesnt take fm, then i also dont force him..envy the mothers who can store breastmilk
happy.gif

any mothers weaning the night feeds already? my baby can sleep for longer hours now and I am thinking of weaning him slowly from his night feed so that he can sleep through the night..
happy.gif

Any mummies hv PD to recommend at east area - near east coast or Aljunied? The PD clinic at tMC is nightmare to Q for parking and consult. Always so packed and long waiting time.

Any mummies hv PD to recommend at east area - near east coast or Aljunied? The PD clinic at tMC is nightmare to Q for parking and consult. Always so packed and long waiting time.

Wu py and littledotty: my baby is on tbf cos I want it this way. Haha, if baby didn't cry after latching then dun bother lah. When baby cry later than latch again. Latch more = more milk. Ytd I pump for almost 15 min, got 150ml in total,then she woke n cry. I just let her latch on my supposedly empty breasts. Shhe did it for 40min in total, at first cry a lot and I keep massaging my breast and pressed it towards the nipple, she seems to settle better when I did that. After she squeezed me dry, she slept for 2 hours. So I guess can try that to increase supply

Dolly,what ur interval of bf?
My bb like slim down..now only drink about 110ml max per feed of 5times a day..in between feeding I latch her..

My last feed at 1-2am, bb can sleep through till 6-7am. I din wake her up for feeding

wu py: I tried to stretch to 3 hourly, but if she cry too much, then I try to stretch for 2 hour. She drinks around 100 ml when on ebm, but takes around 1 hour to finish, need to coax her a lot.

If my gal sleep late (like 1am) at night, then she will wake around 5am. However, for the past few nights, she slept around 11pm, and wakes around 2am or 3am for feed.

Last week went for 2 mth checkup, birth weight was 2.9kg, now she's 4.8kg. So still gaining weight on tbf lah
happy.gif

>> rabbitz
some one recommended this clinic before.. you can try.. personally not been there before..
Kai Clinic 223 East Coast Rd Singapore 428920 Tel No: 63441377 Operating Hours: Mon - Fri:0900 - 1200; 1430 - 1600 Sat:0900 - 1200 Closed on Sun & PH

Just to share - I always had some pain at the nipple and areola area. Will dismiss it as normal pain part and parcel of breastfeeding. However, today when I went to gynae for my follow up visit, he say that I have thrush on one breast and the other is starting to show signs of infection as well. Thank goodness I have always been latching baby on the not painful breast so he din get infected.

Hi kris, other than pain, were there other symptoms? I frequently felt pain in the nipple and aerola area too, but I thought it's due to the stimulation and is normal.

dear dolly & AK,
thot BM will varies the nutrients according to bb age so those milk we frozen for a mth can still be given to bb?

let say i froze the milk when bb is 1.5 mths old , can the miik be given to bb when he is 3 mths old?

>> Kris
What are the signs of infection? I also feel pain in the nipple and aerola area.. also like esteelin tot was due to stimulation and just bear with the pain..

I also felt Kinda pain in the nipple and there were white colour thing surroundin the nipple. The pain would ease when I put on bra with Breast pad. What are the signs of infections?

Mermaider: yes, you were right about the nutrition of the frozen milk. I had previously seek the LC's advise on this. But still can give baby the frozen milk although the nutritional value were different from what they need at that pt in time.

hi ak, i had the white color thing on nipple also, and a bit small blisters. also suspect might be thrush. but still have 2 weeks to see my gynae.

anyway, i decided to let my girl latch on at night. morning will give her EBM cuz the weather is horrible, can't stand to latch on without aircon, my mother in law nagged at me everytime i pump my milk, kept saying must let my girl latch on if not no supply. sigh. say until i am super depressed.

wu py: i latched about 15mins each time coz anything more he will fall asleep
happy.gif
now my boy has been advised to b on hypoallergenic milk so pd advised i watched my diet too! i wish to pump too but taking care of bb alone really no time to pump

Hi mummies,
Yes, the BM is different for different stages of our baby's life. However it is still ok to give them the EBM that you have frozen say when they are one month old when they are three months. I also give excess of my EBM to my elder girl who is already 3 years old. I remembered the LC saying its ok. They are still getting the nutrients they need.

Hello all.

Haven been here much. More in facebook. But can't resist posting coz:

BM storage guidelines in kelly's mom is not for Singapore's hot weather. The guidelines for Singapore are:
6 Mths in Chest Deep Freezer
3 Mths in Seperate Freezer Compartment of Fridge
48 Hrs in the Fridge for Fresh BM
24 Hrs in the Fridge for Thawed BM
4 Hrs Freshly Pumped in Room Temperature

You all need to roll your nipples and aerola before latching or expressing. Most people are told to massage but not told they need to roll the nipples and aerolas. However this is very very very important to prevent/remove blocks at the nipple & aerola area and also prevent/open blisters. If you are feeling pain anywhere in the breasts, please see a LC to get the blocks cleared. This is especially so if you see redness and/or having chills/fever as those are signs of mastitis. If you delay, there is a chance that the blocked ducts will get infected and you will need to see a Breast Surgeon to draw it out with a needle. You don't want this.

>> chai
use your thumb and second finger to hold the nipple/aerola and roll like how u roll a pencil.. do using 'c' shape and 'u' shape..

>> kelly
may be milk blister? try to roll on them and see if they burst and milk spurt out.. if not might need a LC help in bursting them..

How we know our breast is empty of milk? I always express by hand after pump or latch n still have milk come out. Don't know how to check for empty breast
sad.gif

My other signs include pink spots ard the nipple and also some white flakes in the nipple itself. The pain is not constant but sharp pains from time to time. And the pain is in between latching or pumping, not during the actual pumping itself.

Hi everybody,

Was MIA a while as my CL is back then now gg to my MIL place so not much time to surf net.

Re: breast & nipple
I encounter it also..when I done my massage the massage saw red spots at my breast and the lumps so she massage for me and advise me when shower use hot water to shower the lumpy breast area and massage..it really helps..the lump soften (engorged part) and she ask me to buy the medela nipple cream to apply after using its better now..
But i feel that when using electric pump will feel slighty pain than manual one..

I also experienc sharp shooting pain at nipples and breast. Recently milk comes out in drops when I pump instead of sprouts. Worried I get infection too but was told infection comes with fever.

Anyone hv private LC to recommend? Will they hv hospital grade pumps at their clinic? I'm thinking of asking for house visit but duno very exp or not.

Rabbitz,

I invited Doris fok to my place when I have a lump.. U may want to try calling her if she can help u over the phone first

Hi mummies if bb cannot finish ebm (left 30ml, gave 110ml) do you throw away? I know at room temperature can keep for 4 hrs but if bb drinks before need to finish within an hr. I'm storing the bottle milk in a cup filled with warm water now. How do you count the 1 hr? From the time bb start drinking milk or when feeding ends?

So wasteful to dispose away this precious breast milk.

Pris, how did Doris help u to clear e lump? Massage only? I called her already but she's not available till next week, she ask me do hot compress n massage, pump every 2 hrs which I'm doing but still v slow flow.

Tmc Parentcraft ask me to go down maybe use their hospital pump to clear but also appt full till next week.

I feel so engorged n pain
sad.gif
how to wait till next week leh.

rabbitz: I had the same problem and I went to see a GP who gave me antibiotics to clear it. Though it won't be cleared immediately but at least it won't take a week

Zp: GP able to diagnose? if it's not inflammation then eat anti biotics also can help with blockage? When my breasts are full but mothing comes out when I pump... Panic ... Keep squeezing ...

Hi rabbitz, u might want to pop over to gleneagles and look for Aminah to help you with the engorgement. There isn't any home visit but you can call them to fix appt to go down. The cost is about $50 plus. She is very good, helped me to massage and clear my engorged breast a month ago.

I had got a post natal massage lady to help too and she manage to massage n press till milk shot up very high over my face! I Thot the blockage is cleared but when I pump the flow is super slow again. It takes abt 5min + before milk starts to appear at nipple when I start to pump.
Now I'm taking one hour plus to pump both sides.

I'm not sure what's wrong and it's giving me a lot of fatigue from the close pumping intervals and long session.

Freedom: u delivered ar mt e? Amina is from which dept? Can PM me her contact if u hv? Tia

Rabbitz > in the mean time while waiting for your LC appointment to be fixed you can buy those gel pads to do a hot compression massage to ease the engorgement. Just soak it in hot water and it can keep warm for quite a while instead of hot towel. Massage during hot shower too. If you want to reduce the soreness can do a cold compression when you are done with pumping or latching then apply cream then put on breast shield to air the sore breasts.

Rabbitz,

Have u try to hand express? Don't think u shld be pumping for 1hr Le.. Try to use hot towel, massage. Then hand express if there is anything.. Or your pump got problem?

Hi Phyllis, which brand of gel compress are you using and how long can it stay warm? I find the narforye doughnut relief pack useless. Any idea where can buy the gerber breast therapy relief pack?

Esteelin the one that I bought is from newmummy essentials. I find it pretty good it's contour to the shape of our breasts , round and there a hole in the middle which fits the arerola area nicely. You can check out Facebook

Rabbitz: i'm facing the same situation as u! Don't know what's wrong! Suddenly feels like engorged but there's no pain, but the milk flow is super slow and there's no letdown! Feel there's alot of milk but kena blocked. Also took an hour plus to pump out the milk. I also have a small pus next to my aerola.

Yes Esteelin that's the one. I don't really time how long can the heat last I'll just use hot water from flask to soak for a while then test the hotness then use it to massage just before expressing. I normally express for 15mins on Medela dual electric pump Pisa. I recall it can be microwaved, guess it will be much hotter.

I finally cleared my engorgement with hand express as taught by a fren. Let down back to normal. I'm amazed how this simple technique works wonder but is v time consuming since its manual and makes my wrist aches.

Rabbitz: how to use hand express? I massage using hot towel n diligently pump every 3 hours and squeeze my breast real hard during the session, also kinda clear the engorgement, felt softer after the pump but my supply drop for the last pump. Hope wil back to normal supply!

Have any mummies bought those ridwind medication off the shelf from pharmacy? Think I saw one which is the white packaging one. My daughter's colic medicine given by the PD is finishing soon thus would like to buy those off the shelf.

Back