(2012/05) May 2012

Kelly: I was about to try, but then hor, how to clean without wetting ourselves? huh?

Kitty: haha, I always bring my baby out now, or if go out with baby, come back with 4 hours should be good enough.
If you want to express around Orchard, Paragon got a few nursing room in different toilets which are for single person. Taka nursing room is kinda shared, but you can express there too. You can carry along a fridge-to-go kind of milk bag which can keep cold for 8 hours.

Sunbelle, when are you due? My CL is free in August and she's good. She's efficient, tidy, organized, and cooks well. She has a client in july though.

Yingzzz, agree tt boys are hard to clean too, esp at the sides of his ball. And my bb cries like crazy Everytime change diapers. Does your boy cry too? My bb poo b4 and after feed, so that's about 9 x 2 times!

Priscilla, I had blocked ducts last nite too. Really Painful and can't sleep. Panicked cos sat is my bb full month. Read up quite a bit about blocked ducts, one of the advice tt is not mentioned here is to apply olive oil on the nipples to unclog the nipple pore. I noticed tt some of my nipple pores are not squirting milk when my duct is block but after my bb latched and using olive oil, some milk is released from those pores and with frequent pumping, the lump soften. I can't bear the pain of massaging myself. My supply has dropped by 20ml due to the blocked duct
sad.gif

Realised that my jamu lady is cheaper than most, she's charging 50 per session and includes massaging breast. She is very friendly and I would say her breast massage wasn't as painful as the LC and yet effective cos she use baby oil so less friction.

Esteelin: Yeah, your jamu lady is cheapest so far, mine charges $55, she will help massage breast also, but I didn't have block duct so give it a miss. She also give complementary baby massage. Is yours charged by session too?

Hi Rachel, yes the DryMama prices are higher than common ones. But they are Definately the best pads around. They are washable so if you compare disposables, the price will be back within a month or two.

I wear the whole day because they can dry themselves after absorbing my leaked milk and is antibacterial. It is very discreet and comfortable.. You can see other mothers comments from those who have used them. They are better than Avent and Medela.

I have no infection when I use the DryMama Pads. Not like normal cotton ones where i need to bring many pairs to change when I go out to feed or not I will get infection and then it effects my feeding and milkflow.

They are having a free pair offer now so it is very worth it.

Hi Liz,
Are you intending to buy the nursing pads? From the website, SGD35.95 for 1 pair and SGD45.95 for 2 pairs. The promo is " When you buy DryMama reusable nursing pads - you get 1 Pair FREE." Wonder if it means we can buy the 2 pairs pack and yet get the promo?

Anyway, if we intend to breastfeed, and uses reusable ones, will need many pairs of breastpads. I got those "unofficial" ones from BP which doesn't prevent leaks. But when leakage is only a few drops (that is, after half a year of BF or so, then it suffice.

hi dolly, when you hold you will know, firstly bring up baby cloth so you won't wet it. then for yourself of course you won't get wet, cuz you just need to bring baby buttock towards the water tap, you won't splash water to yourself de. give it a try, you will know, super easy de, if you have the mirror on top of the sink, you can look at the mirror to make sure you clean the bottom completely.

wondering mummies on TBF, do you sleep on your back or you can sleep by the side? i so far sleep on my back only cuz i scared sleeping on my side will cause to much pressure to one side of breast, end up cause engorgement. am i thinking too much?

hi Dolly, yes. promo for all orders. meaning if you buy 1 pair at 35.95 you can get 1 pair free. or 2 pairs at 45.95 free pair.. price more worth it for the buy 2 get 1 free..

same as Drymama plus. they come in pack of 4 so it is 55.95 for 3 Pairs

Kelly, I usually sleep on the side which has just been "used" to feed baby. My point is just to avoid "squeezing" the fuller side if I slept on it so it won't leak. But sleeping on one side shouldn't end up engorgement lah, I mean our breast is not a milk jar which can flow around
happy.gif

haha dolly thanks, i am convinced by your milk jar logic, it sets my mind free, i will turn around tonight. i finally can sleep well after doing jamu massage. before think i was over excited with the new born. always cannot sleep for long at night.

Anne: Thanks for the info, I just email them as well.

Kelly: hope u have a good sleep tonight.

Am trying to feed EBM which was freshly expressed to my gal, took her 1hour to finish the 110ml. So it's really not much faster than direct breast feed. But at least satisfied my mum's curiosity of whether we've enough for her.

Dolly, mine charge by session, 1hr per session but no bb massage. She taught me how to do it though.

Kelly, I read that constant ad excess pressure on breast such as sleeping position (prone position), tight bra and bag straps can cause blocked ducts, so maybe you wanna take note if your sleeping position exerts any pressure on your breast.

How ah mummies
I feel tat my son didnt hv enuff sleep!

Like today, he wake up at 9am, bath him than latch him n he dose off, 5mins he woke up again so I latch him again.. This was ongoing till lunch time he still stay awake... At 430pm we decided to bottle feed him n he sleep till 7pm. So I tot bottle feed he can sleep longer so we feed him ebm.. He dose off... 5mins wake up Liao....
Can feel that he wana sleep but....

So I try to latch him again hope he can sleep... In the end drag till nw... I feed him fm.... Hope he can go lalaland straight...

Wat can I do to let him sleep??

Dolly and esteelin, thanks a lot.

Jussi, I guess your boy is going thru the growth spurt, by right he should be eating more than before, so can try letting him latch on a bit longer before putting him down.

Don't stress up yourself, just go according to his needs, although it may looks that he is not able to continue his normal routine, it will get over soon. Rest well.

Thnks mummies for all the advice?

Esteelin, ur massage lady very cheap, can share her contact?

Dolly, I am the same. Red and pain. I know what kind of lecithin supplement u took?

Yes yingzz and others,

I finally got a lc to visit me. She massage me and show me how. But there this a huge hard lump that can't be clear.
She ask mt to see gp and take antibiotics.
For sore nipples, she say is due to over pump. She say don't pump more than 15mins. 15mins pump stop, 15mins rest/hand express, then pump 15min if u want.
She say if u have sore nipple, stop latching till fully recover.

So got to see doctor in the morning,....

My massage lady charges $50 per HR session...

Priscilla,

I pump 15 mins per side but my nipple will still sore.. I pump 10 mins then swtich side and then another 5 mins n switch..dun think I have " over pump"

Priscilla: Just lecithin, there's many brands selling such supplement. I tried that before seeing doctor last time, cos my friend advised me so. Cos sometimes when u see doctor, some might even offer "operation"? I forgot what she said. But anyway, she tried that, but blocked duct still come. So in the end she take lecithin. I'm not taking that now, cos no block duct so far.

I'm trying out EBM to increase the amount of milk she take at night, so that she can sleep longer. Just now thought it failed because she drank all 110ml after an hour of coaxing, but was still very awake at 11:20pm. And I latch her till 1am (left, then right, then left again) However, she slept till now which is a good 4 hours! I just pump for a short 5 min so that if she wakes, she still has some leftover milk.

BTW, I got around the same amount (90 to 110 ml) whether pump 5 min or 12 min when breasts are full. So I wonder if pumping extended time will help much. I'd rather let my gal suck dry after pump to stimulate milk flow.

Hiie all,
I was wondering a thing... If euu were on a mrt (long distance) with ur bb... Suddenly bb cry out loud for milk will euu all make milk for her in the mrt or wait till alight mrt then make?? My bb dun eat pacificer, so no use of giving her...

>> Esteelin
Wah ur bb pooped a lot! 18 times sia.. mine luckily only around twice a day.. Agree tt the side of the balls are so hard to clean.. i used up a lot of wipes because of this.. my bb sometimes cry.. sometimes dont.. still manageble when he cries..

>>Prisilla
Gd tt you have a lc visit you..
happy.gif
at least you identified the prob.. who did you get in the end? home visit?

>> star
i see before ppl make milk on the train.. but dunno if tt violates the no drinking law.. my friend will breastfeed on the train..

>> dolly
yeah sometimes i wonder if pumping longer really helps.. mine usually most milk in the first ten min.. but i still cont with the other twenty min to squeeze out more milk..

Mummies on TBF, how long do you plan to breast feed your bb? Will you continue after going back to work? If yes, how to store the EBM before you come back home?

Sorry, I did not prepare for TBF before, still plan to leave bb to my mil after confinement to go shopping with my sis, btw, my sis is Felicia, used to be in this forum also. Anyway, now I felt so inconvenient to TBF without using bottle.

Does the size affect the breast soreness? I feel sore when the pressure on my breast when pumping milk Duno is it normal or my pain tolerance is too low...

Star / yingzz - I also latch on in trains or bus when baby wails.

Kelly - yes I plan to be on TBF. It's not that difficult actually. If u bring your baby out for shopping, just latch your baby on with a nursing cover or find a nursing room. If your baby is with your mil, then bring your pump along if u plan to be out for more than 4 hours. U will need to bring ice pack or fridge to go to store the ebm.

From 4 weeks old onwards, you will need to train your baby to drink from the bottle (at least once a day), and also try to get them used to the frozen milk taste. Otherwise all your frozen milk will go to waste. Frozen milk has a very very strong metallic smell!

Dolly - I express for 15mins max and if baby happens to want milk after I express, I latch to clear the balance. Sometimes I express for 5mins only cos my baby hates it when there's too much milk cos during the 1st let down the milk flow is too fast.

Hi Rachel, thanks a million,.

But one more question, can you mix milk from diff pumping session in to 1 bottle for 1 day supply? Inf like that, how to manage it. Also during feeding how, can't be heating up the whole bottle like that right?

Ying, same here, the first 10 min seems to be the most productive. Then I'll let my gal drain out the rest of the milk

Kelly, i intend to bf as long as my gal wants. I'm prepare to do so for at least 1 year, hopefully can last to 2 or 3 years? My son bf for 21 months and he stopped only after we were separated for 2 wks. And no worries, it's so easy to bf when u are outside. Sometimes I intentionally skip the nursing room and choose to nurse in departmental store like shoes department, cos it's not so warm and got things to see
happy.gif

But of course I'll be in my nursing wear and nursing covers

Kelly - yes u can mix the milk from different pumps. Put the milk in different bottles first in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Mix the milk to 1 feed when the milk is of the same temp. Eg. 10am u pump 50ml, 1pm u pump 40ml. Put both in the fridge separately. Then at 3pm or after, u can mix both into 1 bottle for a feed.

Got it, luckily I asked, thanks a lot Rachel, then you can put 1 day supply that 1 bottle in freezer hor. So when feeding just take out 1 feeding portion and heat up huh?

Kelly> I just mix my freshly pump milk into ebm...
Eg.. Nw I Pump 20ml, I put in the fridge later pump 30ml I will just add into the bot in the fridge so nw total 50ml... I will just keep adding till 80ml ( tat wat mt boy drinking now)

Kitty - Mine is more of nipple soreness when pumping.. not really breasts..

Kelly - Your work place have fridge to store? Can also bring a ice pack to transport the milk from work to home..

Same as rachel.. I do mix milk from diff session.. but i make sure they are of the same temp.. i.e make sure both bottles of milk are in the fridge for a few hours before mixing.. by the way can just put in fridge.. no need freezer if you intend to let bb consume within 2 days..

A lot of my friends and colleagues try to breastfeed at least one year..

>> renniee
My sis is using manduca carrier.. other famous brand include bjorn and beco.. hmm maybe you shld go to the stores to try out which fits you best.. i intend to use a sling for first 3 mths
happy.gif

Kelly: The first 6 months is the toughest and most stressful, cos baby can only take BM. After that, you'll feel relief and pumping frequency can decrease too. Then slowly can stop pumping during work hours and only direct latch when home. Our breast can adjust to it in a day's time, not much of engorgement. So it's pretty easy!

renniee: I uses stroller most of the time. However, sometimes sling is good, like getting up to budget airlines... I've tried bjorn before, only my hubby likes it, I suspect cos it look more manly then sling
happy.gif
Personally I found those bjorn carrier very bulky, for sling I can double up as a cover for my baby when going into aircon place.

Dolly > my bb boy is 20days old today and he's drinking a mixture of fm n bm. I latch him twice a day and he drinks ebm in the day and fm in the night. If edm is not enough I'll top up the balance with fm. As for nipple confusion there is none as I'm using a special teat from Medela. It's close to nipple. He suckles very well and knows how to latch on properly.

Same as Rachel I don't mix fresh ebm with the ones store in fridge. Nanny said to store in separate bottles then when temperature is about the same then mix into 1 bottle. Going to increase his dosage to 100ml soon. My supply is lesser than his demand. Can pump about 50-70ml only so I'm considering taking supplements to increase the flow.

Any mummie taking and found the supply increase? Fenugreek or??

Phyllis: Guess if you wanna increase supply, stopped the FM and let your son sucks till he's satisfied. Our breast take around 1 day to adjust to the new demand. And it will take a lot of coaxing to calm him down at the beginning, but just let him suckle.

My #1 was a big eater and I latch him almost every hour. #2 seems to be better (much smaller in size) and she can keep to 2 hourly, sometimes 3 hours.

To increase milk supply, you can keep drinking hot milo, especially just before latching. For food, eat more fish. The papaya and fish soup helps too. I've tried fenugreek last round cos someone gift it to me, didn't find it help much though.

kelly> sometime he does hv confusion.. aft bot feed, latch will take afew more minute than normal time latching.. but aft all he still can manage.hahaha

renniee> nb i prefer use sling than when they older i use manduca. i use it for no1 pretty gd!

Mummies i am letting go 5 boxes of Boots milkbags (40pcs) at $9 each. 1 box (38 pcs) at $8.50. Self collection Marine parade or postage paid by payee.

Please pm me if keen.

Dolly, u let bb suck for an hr..during this time did bb fall asleep?
I'm afraid if I try that bb will get not enough milk.
Usually I latch on 10-15mins each side. Though my bb didn't cry after that, I still top up with fm. And she can still finish.

Thanks all, where do you go to buy the slings and how long can Baby be in the slings for? 3 months? Are there any recommended ones?

Phyllis - are you using the calma teat?

Also to increase breastmilk I have been reading and here's the food and supplements recommended
- nursing tea ( I'm taking the sacred nursing tea.. I think it helps slightly)
- fenugreek and blessed thistle
- oats
- sago
- fish and papaya soups (I think this helps!)
- med such as donperidone ( do not feel this is very useful)
- plenty of rest and fluids (most impt!)

hi ying,

ya shld be nipple sore.. is it normal?

Breastfeeding:
I intend to feed to 6 months the longest if I can..will express at office when return back to work

renniee> sling can use for quite some time.. depends on ur bb weight.. i tink some sling can tahan 13kg

mama gene> i cut my bb nails on his full month. u can go to any salon to shave ur bb hair, but ask the salon stuff 1st if they knw hw to shave for bb.. if not can go to those kids salon too

hihi all mummies here!! I am officially back, LOL, used to join in for a while then went to June thread since my due date is June 02.

But, I popped on May 31, LOL so my boy is a May baby!!!!

Oh yes Kelly is my twin sis, LOL.. she's lucky to be able to TBF her girl.. my boy is on formula most of the time, my milk is too diluted and he gets hungry every 1 hour.. so a bit no choice...

Renniee
we got Manduca baby carrier from isetan scotts, expensive but very nice to use and it supports new born very well..

>> kitty
hmm i guess it differs ppl to ppl.. some ppl's nipples more sensitive.. i try not to put the pump level too high.. i use freestyle around lvl 3, max lvl 4..

>> mamagene
hmm hubby already cut bb nails when he is 2 mths old.. cos he keep scratching his face & his nails very sharp. hubby intend to do the brush (tai mao bi) for bb.. so we will be engaging the service as a package (cut hair + make brush)... www.************** also offers cutting hair services.. never tried before though.. u can go chk out the website..

>> felicia & kelly cao
wah twins and both of you gave birth to may babies?! congrats!

>> wu py
shld be able to breastfeed cos bb will receive antibodies from the milk.. http://www.ivillage.com/can-i-breastfeed-if-i-have-cold-or-flu/6-n-136881

Hi Renniee, yes I'm using the calma teat. Now I'm drinking longan tea, warm water, tonic soups n papaya fish soup. Will get supplement from my gynae. Not sure if it's my food intake I don't eat much so less in less out?

Hi MTBs

I am a April mummy and wished to let go LactaGreek (50 caplets) which is to help to increase your milk supply
This tablets is given to me by my gynae on 12 June 2012. I bought it at $35 and letting go at $20.
Composition:
Fenugreek Seed Extract-600mg
Katuk Leaves Extract-100mg
Vitamin B12-20mcg
Calcium phosphate dibasic-12mg
Do PM me if you are interested.

Back