(2012/05) May 2012

Like many of 1st timers, i'm also very paranoid over the cutting, tearing and stitching down there so i am opting for c-sect... unless last min i have the bravery to go natural.

I read that some people do perineal massage to soften the muscles and even Mrs Wong says she ask the mums to do massage so they less likely to tear. Anyone done or had positive feedback from frens that it works? If no need cut or tear, then going natural will not be as terrifying...

Rabbitz:

1) How long does it take for wound to heal ie pain becomes manageable/ insignificant?
For me, it took about 3 months (min) before the pain became bearable. I was not able to stand straight to walk in the first month and was really miserable esp since it was an emergency C-sect and I was not prepared for it at all. It has been 7 years now but during that period, I still do feel slight tugging on my scar. You have to remember that the doctor has to cut through 7 layers of your skin and even if the scar looks healed on the outside, you wouldn't know abt the internal scarring.

2) Are u able to start BF straight away?
I was unable to BF straight away as my babies were in NICU but I managed to express from Day 4 onwards.

3) Any side effects for GA and how long?
I suppose side effects of GA depends on individual. It was quite bad for me when I regained consciousness, was nauseated and threw up in the first 24 hours pretty frequently. Could not get out of bed till Day 3.

4)When did you start post-natal massage and is it effective to flatten tummy since I heard cannot do directly on tummy area?
I started my massage a day after I left the hospital but it was not the full works. My massage lady left out the tummy area due to the scar. I got the full massage again 4 months after my delivery.

As for cutting/tearing, most 1st time moms experience that. I did too for my first child, I had a tear and it was not nice to feel the stitchiing afterwards. However, I did not have the problem during the delivery of my #2 and #4. For this pregnancy, I have started doing Kegel exercises and will continue to do so until delivery. My advise is, if you change your mind to have a natural birth, advise your doctor to cut rather than you tearing.

Babysean, think everybody diff n depends on gynae's skill too. Mine was a planned csect at 10pm!

1) How long does it take for wound to heal ie pain becomes manageable/ insignificant?

I din feel any pain on the wound at all. I think my gynae did a good job in stitching me up. I was down the bed walking the next day ard 8am to go to the toilet. So 10hrs after delivery? No prob for my wound too. Stitching was good. Oh ya. Remember we were given pain killer. I was allergic to the stronger one, so was only given the weaker one? But I din eat it after I was discharged

I latch my boy when the nurse bring him over in the middle of the night ard 3am? So 5hrs after? Since baby after birth need to go under the heat. So Wun get to see them so soon also

I was on epidural and I hate it! Cos my back still aches to date. 2.5 years since my #1 was born. And it made me unable to hear myself, lower body can't move for 3hrs, nauseous, etc

4)When did you start post-natal massage and is it effective to flatten tummy since I heard cannot do directly on tummy area?

I put on the binder the next morning when my gynae visit me at 7am the next morning. Gynae says to support the wound n flatten the tummy. Than massage only done 20days after. But I stop after about 5 sessions cos baby's feeding schedule always clash with my massage slot n I din wanna pump n feed cos people tell me it's only good to introduce baby to bottle at 6weeks. Din wan him to be confuse btw bottle n breast, lest he reject my breast n want bottle. More troublesome to pump, feed n sterilize. So much easier latching all the way!

rabbitz: wow, ur c-section sounds pretty bad. i had 2 prior op b4 so i know what to expect during GA. mine also emergency c-section. surprisingly i din puke aft i woke up, whereas when i had my prev op, i also puke like crazy.

michelle: so it depend on gynae's skill? cham, this round diff gynae. hope recovery will be as smooth as 7 yrs ago. sigh, so i guess we really can blame epidural for giving us backaches!

rabbitz: i also wanted to choose c-section for the same reasons. but my gynae seems to favor natural delivery and keeps encouraging/pushing (depending on how you want to look at it) me to do natural. but i am not confident at all!

i am very frightened of tearing and having incontinence problems? any experienced mummies can shed some light on this? my gynae says permanent incontinence damage only affects like 0.5% of ladies. but i read online like very common lei, or issit in angmoh ladies more common?

of course they always say kegal can help, but not sure thing right? Haiz...so undecided!

i heard a lot of people complain about backaches after epi but duno why apparently gyneas and mrs wong all say epi no side effects, its the post deliver posture that led to back problems. So i am thinking whether to go for GA if i opt for c-sect to avoid epi.

i am also very confused, all have own pros and cons. Some pple c-sec no pain and recover fast, some after few months still feel pain/numb. Perhaps depends on the skill of the gynea if he able to stitch back nicely?

My friend also had a c-sec on her 2 deliveries and she didn't feel any pain at all. Side effect was the itchy feeling only. That's why on her second pregnancy, she wasn't scared at all on having a caesarean. After she discharged from the hospital, she did her groceries right after!

Don't feel pain at all cos was on drip first day which contains pain killers, can stand up on 2nd day.
Only itch after that and I didn't take pain killers.

My opps was performed around 7am+ in the morning, felt nauseated after giving birth so when hubby bring my baby close to me, I shove them away
happy.gif

Can't really latch at first, I was lying on bed and the nurse tried a few different position. The nurse then said mine was inverted, anyway, later found that my son forgot how to latch almost everytime at the beginning! Anyway, no worries, new born stomach very tiny one, wont starve even no milk

I wanna knows what's happening and to allow my hubby to come to the operation theartre, have to go on epidural.
My back no problem though, but I start yoga regularly after 1 year.
The backache only comes when I'm preggy again.

Started massage 3 weeks later for 7 days, not say very effective, but relaxing lah
happy.gif

Mommies, where can we find snake oil? I heard that it's supposed to speed up labor. My mom used this and she didn't have a hard time delivering my 8 lbs brother. Labor was quick and he just slid from her! :D

dolly / candymix: thanks for the info!
happy.gif

BabySean: oohhh... take care! soon it will be over... ;)

yingzz: so far i look at gmarket, don't seems appealing lei... haha! maybe its the pictures they posted... but also only a few...

rabbitz: nursing bra I'm buying my current size.... which is alrdy bigger cup then b4 i get pregnant...
as for the tearing, my pre-natal instructor (i cannot remember her name, but also from TMC) she says cutting is easier to be stitched than tear... and caucasians maybe can do without tearing... but usually asian's will need to cut....

any mummies went through without any cutting or tearing, can share tips?

Keiko:
If BF and you go for any treatment, you can express your milk to throw away during the first 12 hrs after your treatment. :p

Dolly:
What I do is I use milk bags to freeze and I keep 2 big Medela bottles in the fridge with fresh milk. My kids drink the fresh ones. Frozen are for rainy days or milk spa.

Momo:
I am with KKH but paying private patient rates as I chose my gynae.

Candymix:
You should feel more BH as you draw closer. The womb is getting ready. Nevertheless, if its painful and/or regular, do get checked.

Chocolateteddy:
Ok let me help you with this. Feel your tummy now. It has a bouncy feeling in general.
If you are having BH, you feel the tummy tighten and the tummy feels a little hard. Stretch out and/or change your position and the hardeness will go. Its also not really painful. Uncomfortable/stiff yes but its not painful.
If you are having contractions, you feel your tummy being hard all around. There is usually also pain that comes round from your back. Stretching out, relaxing, moving, etc does not help.
Movements or light kicks are not BH nor contractions.

Candymix:
If you total breastfeed, the return of menses is usually delayed. The effects ranges from person to person. However, if you supplement or drop feeds (such as night feeds), your menses is likely to return.

Ayana:
No menses does not mean you are not ovulating. In fact, women are very fertile after delivery.

Keiko:
No food and drinks once you are warded in delivery suit as you may get nausea. You are supposed to clear your bowels before too.

True cases of not enuff milk are actually rare. It generally boils down to the effort you put in to BF and your determination. If you want your sleep through the night, want to supplement with FM for convenience (or fear that baby is not getting enuff), then I can tell you that you are likely not to have enuff milk. If you feed every 2-3 hours (& pump if there is too much excess), you can succeed.

Olivia/Chocolate Teddy
Episiotomy is a small cut to prevent tear. Easier to heal than a tear. By then you are too overwhelmed to feel it. If you are worried abt incontinence, then do pelvic floor exercises diligently both now and after delivery. If you all are afraid of pain, then take the epidural lor. Just trust your gynae and go with the flow on the actual day. Things may not go as you planned before but the gynaes and midwifes in Singapore are generally quite pro. Actually, natural delivery is more advised compared to c-sec coz of faster healing, antibodies passed to baby, etc. Also note that if you c-sec, the next baby is likely to be c-sec as well unless the gap is far enuff and after 3 c-secs or so, you need to close shop as more puts your life in danger.

Re: Nursing bras
Buy around week 36 is possible. Rem to consider 1 cup bigger as allowance for bra pads and engorgement (if the cup fits too well).
I recommend Nursing Bras from "The Birth Shop". They are comfy and no underwire (underwire causes blocked ducts).

it's another WEEK again

just checking, has anyone collected your Philips Bundle $188 @ Taka?

i really loss my patience already, what a lose heart
sad.gif

doubt should i drive down again later after works?

Hi Jane

You have to make your payment first.
And Taka will send to your place once the stock arrives.
I actually make the payment on 6 March and they will deliver to my mum's place on 29 March. As once payment is made, Taka die die also must give or deliver to you.

>>> VT

i've made the payment earlier on

wondering HOW do they send it to my place since they get me to WAIT only for their call?

i read from the collection slip, a small print indicated that all items MUST BE COLLECTED by 25-Mar-12.

is this AVENT's customer service pattern? bow my head to them...
sad.gif

Hello! Follow Mummies... Going for a holiday before THE DAY?

WTS: Rimowa Salsa Deluxe series luggage in Brown color, 82L

74.5 x 49.5 x 27.5 cm, multi-directional, 5kg, ATS lock

Only use it once to Tokyo and once to UK.

Retail price at $1,300+

Letting go at $850. It's a used item, scratches are expected.

Serious buyers only. SMS Winnie @ 9005 8165

Letting go of my ultra beloved 1 yr old STOKKE Xplory Blue

Perfect for a boy. Imagine your 3-mth old baby at the same height with you are dinner table. Or your 9-mth old able to see the noodle chef at Ding Tai Fung open kitchen.

Mothercare price $2,209

Selling my love for $1,600

Serious buyers only. Interested parties, pls SMS Winnie @9005 8165

It's a used item, do expect normal scratches.
6812707.jpg

Philip Avent >> I dun think the delivery is handled by Taka side.
I believe someone who called me for collection is a Sale Gal working at the booth.

Hi Jane

Did you opt for delivery service?
Cos for my case, the Avent promotor said that Taka will push Avent Philip for the products if the delivery counter did not receive the goods 3 days before the delivery date.

Do let me know if you need the fair contact number. As to avoid making unnessary trip to Taka.

>> janehon..

you mean u made payment for Avent already? I only left my name and contacts, no payment - and they didnt call at all!
sad.gif
they told me pay when collecting.. sigh!

>>> Groundpepper

i actually questioned the Avent girls, that some of my 'friends' received calls while some of them pick-up the goods on-the-spot.

Avent girls threw me the reason of: they booked earlier than me (before 08-Mar-12), they had made payment... bla bla bla~

during my 2nd visit to Avent booth, i requested for their contact number they just quoted me to WAIT for their call.

piss off !!!
sad.gif

>>> VT

i got no choice at all what's more "delivery service"
sad.gif

Avent asked me to WAIT WAIT WAIT (by 25-Mar-12).

appreciate if u could provide me the contact, i really hate going down again during traffic peak hours.

thank u again VT
happy.gif

>>> yingzzz

1st visit - i wanna pay in advance, Avent told me as same as yours.

2nd visit - i dont want it to be a 'wasted trip', so i "die die" force Avent to receive my payment of $188.

3rd visit - in a dilemma
(but i swear, this time am gonna start scolding Avent)

being a consumer, think i got the rights to file for CASE.

Hi Jane

I have juz spoken to this Philips Avent Staff, Germaine. She seems very nice.
I told her that two of my friends interested to get the sets but is always out of stock.
She promised to call me once the stock arrives.
Perhaps you want to PM me your mobile number so that I can pass to her.
Taka baby fair contact: 6506 0506.

Hi Jane & Yingzz

Have received your PM. Will pass to Germaine if she calls.
Btw, I did ask her on the stock. She mentioned that the stocks will come in these few days but might not be enough to cater for the new customers, as they are all reserved for the customers who had paid earlier and delivery as well.

>>> VT

... what?
cater for the NEW CUSTOMERS?

that's one thing i was annoying with:
*** WALK-IN = can pay & buy straightaway (when the stocks are available)
*** RSVP = sit & wait for Avent's call idiotly

anyway, i've planned to go down to TAKA again later after works because i need to throw-in my lucky draw slips as well.

& will try my last luck to "ROB" the bundle set, i don't believe that Avent did not keep even ONE SET of it.

thanks again VT for all of your info & helps
happy.gif

Hi VT, thanks so much for your help. Germaine just called me and said she will reserve a set for me.. so I will be collecting it tomorrow
happy.gif

Wat I understand is since u made payment for the bundle I m sure will get it.

I pop by last weekend to check out n was told by avent tat they will call. N I also saw tat they have a separate list for those customer on wait list tat did not pay. Was inform by tis week will receive the bundle.

Anyway I been to their showroom recently at toa payoh to get some spare parts. I dun see any sterilizer there as well. Maybe reali so popular till out of stock?

>>> VT

hey, appreciate your GREAT favor!
happy.gif

a lady with "bee" voice called me a couple of hours ago, i think she is Germaine.

i told her that am going down later, & her task is to make sure that i will get my thing TODAY... as she promised.

anyway, hopefully this will be my very LAST trip to visit to TAKA.

a BIG HUG to VT ^_____^

Dun mentioned Jane..Happy for you!!

I am also waiting patiently for my set via Taka delivery also.
Just to make sure, the stock arrives b4 you go down. If not it will be a wasted trip again.
In any case, if the goods have yet to arrive, please quickly make a payment and requested for a delivery.
Once they issue you a Customer copy with serial number, you definately will receive the items. This is what Germaine told me.
Opps.. do get Germaine a drink once you get your set yah!!

I've just had some short sharp pains at my lower abdomen, where the bikini line is. Just wondering wat it cld be but hoping nothing serious. So far no other signs of preterm labour. Its just tt i never felt this kind of pain before... It was going on & off within abt half an hour or so. Didn't feel like it was baby's movement or kicks.

Chocolateteddy, how many weeks r u now?? How long has it lasted? I had similar experience for my #1 and the not-so-pain pain last for at least 5 hours before I called my gynae and they arranged me to do a scan at the hosp. And they were actually contraction pains. I was ard 7+months preggy then. Do monitor the situation. If the hardening/pain comes and goes for quite some time, do call ur gynae for advice

M-iNt: M now 32 weeks but the pain has stopped since abt 4 hours ago. No sharp pains but just alittle tightness when I m standing or walking. Thanks for ur advise. I will be observing but for now it seems ok. How was it w ur son then? Did u go into labour? Do u know wat triggered it for u?

Chocolateteddy, I didn't go into labour..just that I had contractions and macham was ready to Give birth anytime. Just felt pains and contractions but were still "bearable"..as felt weird so called gynae and was advused to go hosp. Then think they gave jabs to mature te bb's lungs? I think...and some other medication just in case it's Pre term.. Then was hospitalized or a night followed by 2 weeks hosp leave(shiok!!!) I think I was stressed then....but anyway, my daughter was induced at wk38 due to no gain in weight.

Mayb u could be experiencing braxton hicks? Or u r feeling stressed? I always felt the tummy tightening when I'm stressed every now and then...but I guess if there's pain, it's always better to consult gynae...;)

OMG! I just had the worst Braxton Hicks contractions ever and it just ended, after about 5 hours. Started with tightening of my stomach (pretty normal for the past 3 weeks or so) but this time it was worst and then back pain developed. It was so bad I could not really walk nor sit. Was a bit anxious and scared since I had history of preterm labour with pregnancy #2 but am relieved it's all good now *phew*

Hi I am a silent reader but chocolate teddy what u r experiencing is called round ligament pain where there is a sharp pain in the bikini line due to stretching of muscle .. It's nothing to worry about as long as its not contraction .

Mummies, it is common to have BH contractions? I experienced more during tri 1 and 2 but almost nil (only sometimes) during tri 3. I am 34 weeks now. Baby was 1.8kg during week 31-32 checks. Seems abit small IMO. Overall weight gain only 7kg. Very worried baby wont gain enough weight. Cant eat much too cos no appetite. Sigh. I am so paranoid now.

Going for my next visit this sat. Hopefully all be fine.

momo_baby: bb at 1.8kg during 31/32 wks, i thot it's the expected weight based on babycenter.com? my gal also ard 1.7kg at 31wks. did your gynae mention abt bb being small? if not, then i dun think u need to worry. i juz went for my chkup yday at 34wks, bb is 2.2kg which is within the expected range. my weight gain also very little, only 5kg til now.

Hm.....recently feel like bb pressing my bladder. Always feel like going to pee. Abdominal area feel abit cramp at certain times but if I walk or change seating position I dun feel uneasy. At time feel bb wriggling. Did anyone has such a feeling? I m in my 33 wks.

Friends keep commenting that my tummy is going lower. Recently feel that my legs not as strong as before can't walk too long and feel wobbly like jelly
sad.gif

Oh? Baby centre.com got show average weight? I only got the iphone app but it doesnt show leh. Lemme try to find. My gynae nv say small. Just say within the range. I was hoping for at least 3kg baby at birth. But now it doesnt seem like it will be the case. I told mummy to get durians for me next week liao. Gonna start eating.

Btw when shld we start drinking coconut? Its those light brown small coconut that they sell at pasar malam right?

we can start drinking coconut, andyes is those small brown kind.

I also feel my tummy getting lower.
my calves just gave way this morning with 2 serious cramps and now i am "bed-ridden"... coz no strength.. haiyoz..

but i gained 15kg! hahaha

Back