(2012/05) May 2012

Hi, everyone, I have a white cot for giving away. Only used for 2.5 years, my boy has outgrown it. It has a drawer at the bottom too. Length is 120cm, height that baby sleep at can be adjusted.

Anybody keen please email me [email protected] for photos or more enquiries.

re pump:
the avent single pump also allows battery to operate also.. and electronic as well.. worse come to worse, can also manual mump... the salesgirl actually told me that some moms bought 2 single electronic pumps instead of the isis duo.. isis duo MUST have electricity...

avent single is $299... isis duo is $779 and freestyle is $699.. both are local prices are without discounts..

but my heart is gg towards freetyle.. ??? still deciding.. =p

Here is my version of the items to buy <center><table border=1><tr><td>
mime_msexcel.gif
Baby
Baby Items.xls (26.6 k)</td></tr></table></center>

rabbitz: The freestyle battery needs to be charged but you can do it at home. :p

toot: PISA can run on battery meh? Really ah. Then that's good leh coz PISA is cheaper than freestyle. But do confirm?

zara: 2 single pumps is not as good as dual pump coz of syncronizing between 2 sides. It makes a difference!

Basically for all you deciding, you can wait for the others who used PISA and Ameda and ISIS to review first before you decide. I'm sure there are one of us that have used these pumps before. :p

Hi all

Just popped in again n saw the discussions abt pumps again

Medela. PISA - yes. There's a black plastic thing that u connect to the pump after putting in the batteries. Can't rem the size n how long they can last coz i've nvr used it. I aws use electricity.

Ameda - to me, this really sucked. I get a lot a lot more milk from the pisa. Yhink the stimulation by the ameda doesn't really trigger letdown. N the stripping of milk also not as effective.

My personal experience is not to scrimp on the pump if you're determined to BF. I had enough milk over 24h but not at the time that my son wanted it. So he refused to latch n i exclusively pumped. I was very very determined to give him BM so even though i had to pump 3.5h everyday, i still persisted.

I am planning to paint my nursery room after CNY, my mum made a big fuss saying old folk say preg cannot anyhow paint or do drilling etc, at least I shld not be staying there while doing all e work. Anyone here done house painting? I'm thinking as long as I am not at home when painting is done should be ok and I can go shopping etc then come back room completed.

She is making me paranoid although I know old folk tales are not scientific but sometimes still worry. Anyone had heard frens done house painting while preg?

Rabbitz

I did reno. Knocked down the partition wall n walkin wardrobe. Also installed new cupboards, new dressing table, moved my bed, painted wall etc for my #1

I did move to my ILs place though while it was gog on. More of the noise n the dust n smell. But folks made a lot of noise lah. I dun care though. I refused to be bonded to such ridiculous nonsense

Wow.. Didn't know there's so much research for breast pumps.. I'm leaning towards the freestyle US set since it's got good reviews and can run on batteries!

Rabbitz
Main thing about reno, like what jul says, is the noise, dust n smell. Paint fumes are bad so rmb to go into the painted room about 2-3 days later. If I nv rmb wrongly, can put charcoal in the room to absorb the fumes.

Heya mommies.. i m finally done with my crazy week.. worked till 10 every night and had to be in office before 8am. so bloody tired. Hope everybody is well!!

Re: bra and cup size
I still wear my normal bras.. with underwire.. no issues with the bras.. for my previous pregnancy, i also wore my usual bras still i gave birth and managed to bf-ed for 14 mths. but once i started bf-ing my cupsize increased. aft i stopped, i was still bigger than before. haha.. so dun worry abt ur boobs. size doesn't correlate to milk production.

Re: pumps
I use PISA.. served me well as i pumped exclusively. it was my best buy EVER!! imagine i saved abt 14 mths of milk powder! that was about $3920! the thing abt milk powder is you don't see the cost.. when u look back and calculate, the amt can be staggering. so pls don't gripe abt the cost, esp if u die die wanna bf. get the best and maximise the use of it.

I won't recommend Ameda. I have personally helped abt 6-8 frens breastfeed successfully for at least 6 mths (meaning i was on call for them 24/7). almost all of them that succeeded longer than 6 mths used Medela. I personally have 3 frens using Ameda and out of these 3, 2 of them had their Ameda sets broke down on them. One Ameda set broke down within a mth. One thing bad abt Ameda is that it is very hard to get spare parts. Medela is sold everywhere. when u are bf-ing, esp in the initial mths, this is very crucial cos u might need new valves, bottles, tubings and funnels. with Medela pumps u get spares everywhere. the only gal who succeeded bf-ing using Ameda pump was becos she latched full time at home and pumped twice a day only. so her milk supply was a lot and also let down comes easily for her. if u are gonna do exclusive pumping, then Medela gives u better letdown stimulation then Ameda.

So a general breakdown of pumps and feedback from my frens:
1) Medela PISA - strong suction but bulky
2) Medela Freestyle - apparently suction not as strong as PISA but still good enough. very portable
3) Ameda - doesn't really stimulate letdown (unless u are the type with easy letdown), hard to get spare parts and seems to break down more often.
4) Avent - bad motors. breakdowns are common - backflow of milk/ liquid into motors.

Fifi, yeah PISA can take normal AA batteries but i dun use them. suction not as strong as direct plug in.

Re: pump cleaning
I got a lock lock box to store my funnels. will wash with baby liquid detergent then pour boiling water over it. Will close the lid (with hot water inside) and wait till it cool before i pour and reseal the lock lock box, ready to use for my next pump. easy and cheap. haha..

Since we are on the topic of breastfeeding, do read this: http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Health/Story/A1Story20120112-321480.html

there are couple of tips which will aid you if you wanna bf. Try to latch ur baby as soon as u can after birth (that's one of the reason why i dun recommend GA c-sec unless necessary), skin to skin contact with baby. FEED on demand and lastly (to me its the most impt) do NOT feed formula. Hope it works for u guys!

hi everyone..
i have loose pieces of newborn huggies diaper (24pcs) n 17pcs of S size huggies diapers . ALL for $10 ntuc/taka/tangs/robinson/choice voucher or $9 cash. interested email me at [email protected]
pls help me to clear.. thanks!

Ameda> I used Ameda the last time back. I bf exclusively till my boy was 13mths and partial bf till my boy was 16mths. I agree the letdown effect was not as good compared to the other models. But I think diff bodies react differently to different pump. I was unlucky, my pump (motor) broke down twice on me. But luckily hubby have a colleague who also used Ameda and lent me hers when mine breakdown. She also bf til like 15mths.

Actually the only part of Ameda pump that always have to be changed is the valve. I change 3 sets during the 16mths I was bf-ing. But what I suggest u do is buy the valves from spree. Each valve only cost like 6bucks from spree compared to 20bucks if u buy in Singapore.

I would say bf is more of an effort of the mother. Having to pump at regular intervals to stimulate the milk supply and also having to pump at night even if ur baby dun require to latch on. This way u really increase ur supply. But if ur lazy n dun have regular pumping session, supply naturally drops. And do take into acct if ur company allows u to go for 2-3times a day, 20-30mins pumping session on a daily basis. Else no matter how good your pump, it's also useless.

piggy:
The freestyle suction range I think is abit less than PISA but coz I dun use PISA at max, I don't have this problem. Basically I used PISA at about 3-4 (if I rem correctly) and us Freestyle at 4-5. I do know people who feel the difference but they used PISA at the max (dunno how they can tarhan). If use AA batteries on PISA, how much is the different in suction. Freestyle, even if you plug in the wire, there is no noticable difference to me.

Re: Pump Spare Parts
Please don't buy first. Different people need different funnel size (for Medela, dunno if other brands have different sizes too). It makes a big difference. Too small will get blister, too big will be ineffective removal and hence lead to blocked ducts.

mommies so late nvr sleep and so early wake up? *yawn* if not for work, i will still be in lala land..

re reno:
for me, i'm not intending to do anything to the nursery now.. everything has to be done after bb is born... hubby also dun let.. personally, it's up to individual.. if u not pantang, then just carry on with ur plans.. if u pantang, then maybe shd just believe in your own pantang..

re pump:
i think i will get the freestyle... for the bb, myself and $$ sake.. i must persevere! haha..

My fren colleague selling medela freestyle. She say is local set. Can anyone familiar with the product advise if theres only one model/type for freestyle? I was provided with the pic and told standard set unopened. Any thing I shld ask e seller before I confirm?

Hmm sounds like I must read up more on the pumps!

I have 3 friends vs 1 who recommended medela (vs ameda) but I really can't bring myself to pay 1000 for the freestyle pump set..I saw baby kingdom selling freestyle at 699 for the bundle deal..thought that was a gd deal..I didn't really compare between medela models lar ie Pisa n freestyle..

Now u all really worry me which pump to get..even between Pisa n medela..btw which is cheaper?

For those medela sprees, they are us import set right? Where to buy local adaptors?

Is the spree organiser for us import set of medela leng leng? Rem 1 mummy ever posted..oh there's gg to price increase in 2012 even for us set :-(

zara: u went to the taka sale TOO? It was out of stock when i went there... but manage to ask the saleperson to reserve 1 for me!

Michelle, i completely agree with u. there's no one size fits all pump that everybody will sing praises of. if u are not diligent u buy the best pump also no use. I didn't need to change my Medela valves at all through out my 14 mths of bf-ing.. actually i didn't even know abt them until i read abt it in the forum then i went to get some for standby. in the end i changed the valves at 12 mths cos i thought better to change lor.

Fifi, I have nv tried PISA using the battery pack. too much a hassle lah. for me i drive so lugging the whole adapter daily is not an issue for me. i did hear anecdotally that the suction is weaker with batteries but then again could be that the batteries weren't fully charged. i do use my PISA suction at the MAX (i know, i cringe thinking abt it!) esp when my supply drops and i wanna stimulate a bit. i did learn how to play with my pump. sometimes when i m particularly stress, my ss will drop. by adjusting the suction power i was able to get more letdowns.

Rabbitz, if its an unopen set, can buy.. provided its not more than $450 cos i think the warranty is over for ur fren's set? yes anything bought in the Taka fair entitles u to rebates if u have the Taka card.

Candymix, u can get the adapter from the overseas sprees too. just tell Lengleng u want an adapter. if i m not wrong, PISA needs adapter but Freestyle does not. Need to double confirm with Freestyle users but i can confirm PISA needs the adapter.

Agree with Fifi, please don't buy spare parts first. if u are getting Medela, there are two types of shields (or funnels). Soft fit has NO sizes and is made from a softer material (usually comes with Freestyle). YOu shd only sterilise ONCE a day for soft fit shields. For PISA it usually comes with personal fit shields that HAS sizes. PISA comes with 27mm shields but this depends on the size of ur areola. I use 30mm shields. so when u buy ur pump do check one what type of shields u have.

I saw again medela freestyle at 699 offer today..u all think it's a gd buy mah? Assuming leng lens's us import set prices go up to 480 from 450..

Btw nuk/ pigeon teats can fit on medela storage bottles? Wat abt the other way round: medela pump into pigeon/ nuk feeding bottles?

Piggywiggy> the valves for Ameda easily cracks. Cos every pump it contracts n expands. So very obvious I spoil. Think is common to Ameda. This time round Im not so hardworking. So probably wont bf till my boy so big liao

Kulogy: yup, i was there, but freestyle was sold out. anyway, my fren advised me not to buy first.. so i didnt reserve any also..

seems like many moms prefer medela (to ameda and avent) and i've gotten good reviews from my frens also.. prob i will go with the freestyle. but i will go to the bb expo this coming feb before i decide..

Yo everybody!!! how is everyone?!
i finally recovered from a bacterial infection (sinus). after yet another course of antibiotics.. and then i tahaned the 'sepration' of hb .. who is comin gback tomorrow from Israel.. then now rush CNY? eeks.. anyway..

pumps? I used Free style. not bad.. extremely portable.. but i think i need to reservice the motor liao. the battery go-yak now :p

this preg.. like so many things not done.. (but my work . i have to finish my one year of work in like 3 mths? *panda-eyed*).. anyway.. also wanted to shift my second sonnie over to sleep with with my elder and helper. but their room too small. need to swap them over with study room..

so rabittz.. sometimes not becoz nothing better to do than renovate.. it is out of necessity! to those who keeps commeting. i suggest u ignore them.. coz. ur need.. not their need.. just ignore them..

Piggy: hey.. when only sterilise soft fits once a day? i sterilised after each pump. but i got two sets lah. so around twice each day.. they turn yellow after sterilising though..

the tubings (not the funnels) of medela.. CANNOT be sterilised.. dun even need to rinse. coz it is supposed to be a vaccum.. runs very little risk of backflow of milk if u dun topple the bottles with milk when attached to the tubings..
else the whole tubing turns cloudy if you sterilise! :p

need to start order my funnels. (dunno throw where) and nursing bras liao.. hey.. wah. our due date coming soon liao wor! hahaha.. time flies.. i recalled we used to be griping with all those morning sickness then.. now. i am at my 6 mths? lolz.. ok..

tomorrow gynae's appt.. feeling the weight. though some info sources say bb is only 500 g plus.. lolz.

I am down with gastric flu. Side of my tummy keep having cramp for a week till I finally saw doc today cos vomited twice ytd. Cramp till walking with a limp now. Maybe I ate contaminated food an I worry will affect bb
sad.gif

Was at kiddy palace and notice infant pillows, bolsters and their case is so exp considering their mini size and not anything fancy. I saw online selling security pillow using mini poly foam balls (washable-- like preggy pillow material) instead of bean sprout kernel. Anyone used those before? Or shld I get the traditional bean sprout kernel?

Rabbitz> actually for baby, it's best to sleep without pillow. Just fold a nappy n let them lie on it in ase they vomit out milk as they sleep

The bean sprout pillow u c is to put on baby's chest/stomach in case they are frightened by loud sudden noises only

Yeah am feeling the weight nowadays too..

Btw are wide necked bottles/ nipples better than standard ones?

Medela spare pump parts spree can be found under the motherhood forum under overseas spree sites

When we pump, do we fill the same container? Or a separate container per pump, and combine before feeding?

Haha.. Sorry ladies if it's a silly qn..

Hi June, it is best to separate each pump and only combine when ur preparing for the feeds. Not sure why but that was what I hv been taught by the lactation consultants.

I am also another user of Medela PISA. Love it to bits!

just finished my scan today! Everything normal, which is good! wow din know can even see the right valve of heart, left valve etc..

bb is 428g, while mommy put on 8kg....

Hi mummies,

I am a user of Avent single pump. I do not really advise mummies to buy single pump if you really want to bf. I had to pump more than 40 mins to clear my breast each time I pump. When I pump the right side, left side will be leaking. I drove me crazy.

This time round I think I wana get a dual pump to both save time and my sanity. My colleagues voluntered her Ameda Pump to me. Thinking if I should buy Medela pump instead.

Candymix,
Wide neck bottle is easier to clean... I think nipple wise tey have same type for normal and wide neck (at least for pigeon). Some brands only produce normal neck like medela and some only wide neck like dr browns if i'm not wrong. Dont't buy too much bottles first in case your baby is fussy with nipple. My #1 was fussy, doesn't like avent, nuk nipples - finally only like pigeon nipples. Also different branda migt have diff fitting - so try one at a time.

Going for my detailed scan tomorrow. Praying that everything goes fine. My mum was like how come nowadays keep scanning, safe for baby not?

Luckily have experienced mummies here. Din know babies choose bottles wanted to buy a few of avent initially.

Going for my detailed scan tomorrow. Praying that everything goes fine. My mum was like how come nowadays keep scanning, safe for baby not?

Luckily have experienced mummies here. Din know babies choose bottles wanted to buy a few of avent initially.

hi mummies, i have disappeared for over 2 weeks. Changing in work schedule has made me very very busy and i can hardly spare time during work to surf the forum now. even when i am home i have dinner shower and go to bed at 11ish.

I think despite the prie increase from leng leng i will still get the freestyle. long term gain if the machine is good you are less troubled by pumping. plus i will have to bring it to office w me after my maternity ends so no qualms on it over other brands. :D

im still outstanding on a feel big ticket items
1) Medela Free Style
2) Steriliser/Bottle Warmer
3) Car Seat
4) Cot

only thing i have at home will be clothes. ahhaha mil went on a happy spree one weekend and came home w a bagful of clothes for NB. good la i save $ too...so i concentrate on buying 3m onwards!

Newborn clothes> really no need but too many. Baby outgrow very fast. Get more 3-6mths one n can wear from birth. That's what I did for my #1. Anyway most of the time I wrap my boy with a nappy too :p

michelle: yea im shopping 3m onwards. my mil bought some NB ones for my kid so just let her la hehe she was so happily shopping when i came home then i saw the bagful of clothes.

need a deep pocket to shop for kids. everything is cute everything looks essential everything screams "buy me!"

happy cny guys, hehe hope we all found ourself some nice pretty clothes to wear w the growing bump!

Hey ladies, anyone tried Playtex bottles? We bought a few different kids to see which the baby will prefer - Tommee Tippee, Nuk and Playtex. The Playtex one had really good reviews but don't seem as commonly used here in SG? We got the Ventaire and the ones with the drop-in liners... Any personal feedback on these so far?

Peaberry: im interested in playtex too but dunno of its good.. If I wanna get I'll get e ventair wide bottle de.. I thk I wun go for drop in as it's so not environmental friendly.. Use wash de better.. Haa.. I'm so into playtex which I seriously dunno y.. Haa.. =D

Astro:
Coz soft-fit if sterilise too much become too soft and also turn yellow. I also need to get new shields... Mine quite old. New baby should get new set. Lol I also have 2 sets so that I don't have to rush in the morning.

June:
Better not to fill the same container with different pumpings coz different expiry. Also if you freeze, once defrost can only keep 24hrs in fridge if you let it thaw in fridge. If you warm up, its for that feed (i.e. cannot keep). So better not to pack too much in 1 pack.

Re: Bottles
Yes differnt kids take to different teats. So dun buy too many bottles. Also do note that type of teats matter for BF. Coz some teats are too hard - so compared to breast too different. Some teats are too easy - leads baby to reject breast.

For me, I use Pigeon Isoprene teats (recommended by my LC) with any standard neck BPA free bottle. :p

VaNiLLa, yeah the thought of having to repurchase all the liners seems like added cost! Decided to get a set to try because I read good reviews about colic prevention due to the little air that's left in the liners once they're filled with milk. I hope the baby will like one of the bottles I purchase at least haha!

Vanilla/ peaberry: I heard playtex is like the premium brand of milk bottles, like medela is for pumps bah..

Fifi: does that mean we warm up 1 bottle of stored then not enough n we warm up another? Cannot mix altogether is it? Hehehe..and if say defrost already but not yet warm up, can refreeze?

Are milk bags better than milk bottles used for storage? So ideally how much should we store per pack/ bottle?

Candy: I thk pump Liao can mix but u muz put e date as e first pump.. Like u pump 5ml @1pm den 10ml @3pm can put together but label as 1pm de.. But whether froze defrost Liao.. I dunno..

I personally thk disposable de beta. More conveient n cheaper den bottle. I see e bottles de all very ex leh.. And I can buy those bags at $20 for like 50 bags? Bottles i thk $20 can only but at most 3? Haa .. And bags r more small so easier to store bottles big in size..

Too lazy to go out for a massage. But whole body aching. Just called for the massage lady Linda recommended to try. But I'm aching all over now. So good or not also should be good ba :p

Just finish the massage. Not bad. Only complain is she din do foot massage. Never mind. After she's gone, immediately went on my usqueeze :p

Michelle,

u did the massage by Jenny?? i just called her up today to make an appt for this sat morning..

It's sad to hear that she didnt do foot massage cos my feet is always numb
sad.gif
wondering can we request on that??

Hello mummies, I've been missing for a long long time.. too busy with renovation, moving house, settling, work, etc etc.

Breast pump - I have an electric single pump (Avent). Served me well for a year plus before I had to send it for repair.. but again, I latch on a lot during early months, and pump 3 times a day when I return to work.. So maybe, it's really not as good as medela.. Hmm..thinking if I should get a new one.. but again, I'm so lazy to express.. prefers to latch on.. which another problem surface, cos my boy refused to drink from the bottle. hahaha.

Astro-pro - yes, we are already in the 3rd trimester?? Still.. when I'm taking train in the morning, NOBODY gives up the seat to me!!! Time flies! And the only thing I'm looking forward to, is the 4 months maternity!!!

Back