(2012/04) Apr 2012

> Hi Silvery-gal, yes i think our babies having the same thing.

> Hi MagL, I steam the baby spinach/kale then blend it before adding it to the porridge.

Am running out of ideas what to cook for my boy. For Breakfast; i will prepare rice cereal with pureed fruit (tried apple, pear, mango, avocado, blueberries).
For Lunch and Dinner; i will cook rice porridge with either (threadfin/cod) and vegetables (so far i tried carrot, sweet potato, potato, brocollini, baby spinach, baby kale).

Mummies, may I know what is the total milk intake for your babies now after introducing solids? Is there a minimum amount that babies need to drink at 7months? My boy on weekdays can drink about app. 600ml; but on weekends/PH (when i bring him out) he will not want to drink. Total intake could well be app. 400ml only.

Hi Lynn thanks for sharing! Will follow your way!

I am breastfeeding my boy so also not sure how much he takes but its definitely lesser than the first 3 months.. he started to drink lesser from 4th month.. minimum weight gain that why i introoduce solid earlier.
His sleeping pattern is a headache to me now.. wakes up every 2 hours at night for feeding... cant go back to sleep without my breast... haiz.. dont know what happen.. hoping his pattern will go back to normal soon.

Hi MagL, no worries. I also tried cooking the spinach in the porridge (when the porridge is about ready) then scoop it out to blend before returning it to the porridge. (I do this when I am rushing for time). I try not to overcook the leafy vegetables; hoping that i can retain as much nutrients as possible.
Wow, it must be tough on you waking up every 2hrs. Hope your boy will change his pattern soon so that you can have good night rest.

silvery_gal:
Yah, i got the med from PD. Is a form of rash i guess. Though on the cream, it's meant for fungal infection. But it works.

My gal 7mth+ already, only try pumpkin on her. She quite like it. My mum prepares porridge for her, but i think the texture is too rough, so she dun really like it. Guess she may not be ready yet.

So far, her solid is not replacing her milk intake. So she's still taking 160ml 4 hrly. Total intake is abt 960ml per day.

MagL: could it be he's teething? a few wks back, my gal also can't sleep well at nite. keep waking up and wants to be carried. after that, her teeth came out.

Teeth: my gal has 4 teeth now! quite fast right? 2 on top and 2 at bottom.

Lynn - okie i wil try steaming and blending it first... thanks! you are giving 3 meals a day already? i only started on 2 meals. Have you tried chicken? i tink i will give it to him next week.

babysean - you are right.. most prob its teething.. even afternoon nap is a torture now.. haha.. so hard for him to sleep that i have to resort to cradling and rocking him.. so reluctant to do it but bo bian.

My pd says between 4-7 months try to introduce more variety of food to them. You can try avocado babysean.. its creamy and soft so i tink your girl will like it.

MagL:
How to chose avocado? heehee. i nvr give it to my boy b4, last time. i'm also thinking of giving her banana.

Sitting:
Wanna check with you mummies. How's your child sitting now? Very steady? My gal like still very wobbly.

my girl can sit but still not steady yet .

as for avocado, i usually choose those brown ones.

haiz i haven started on porridge yet, couldnt find organic white rice or zhen zhu mi

babysean - when you press the avocado its not hard means its ripe le.. usually if i buy those green ones i wait for 4-5 days for it to ripen.

My boy can sit upright without support le. will let him sit on the bed to play with his toys or munch on his teething biscuits.

mummybaby2008 - organic white rice you can find it in ntuc finest... compare to other supermarkets, they have quite a wide range of organic products.

> Mummybaby2008: I agree with MagL. Bought most of the organic stuffs at NTUC Finest. I find that their Thomson Plaza outlet has wide range of organic produce.

> MagL: Started off with breakfast; then breakfast and lunch and now all 3 meals a day. Yet to try chicken; but will attempt soon as fish all the time is so boring.

Hi mummies, u mean ur bb know how to sit on their own? Me still cant but if put in sitting position, can sit for a while but not tat steady

bbtwo: Nope, I guess we mean how steady our bb can sit if we put them in sitting position. Should take a few months for them to learn to sit up on their own. Maybe when 9 mths old. :p

Hi, my baby is not sitting without support.. The PD advised us to let him practise sitting (legs apart and prop his outstretched hand on the ground).

My baby also has rashes, mainly around joints. Suspect is eczema. Been applying qv, physiogel etc and whatever body moisturizer my elder child is using. Rashes come and go. Taking a watch and wait attitude and will bring him to see derm if worsen.

Lyn: did your PD give a diagnosis regarding skin rash?

Hi SSP, PD suspect eczema too. Lately, I adjusted the water temp (near cold) when showering my boy. Also, reduced his play time in the shower. And, the roughness on his body seems to have improved. But the roughness on his elbows like still the same.

Hi mummies, am looking for organic greek yoghurt. So far, can only find at supernature. Appreciate if any of you can share if u know of any other places that sell it. Thank you.

Hi lyn, sorry but dunno where to get too

My really worried as my gal poo > 5 x in a day. Not diahorea. Wonder need need to bring c doc. Been giving her 3x solids, is tat too much for 7+ mth bb?

Any advise, anyone??

Hi bbtwo, is the >5x poo frequent (as in continuous for a few days?) I am also feeding my boy 3x solids a day. There was 1 day where my boy poo like 4 - 5 times too! Usually, he only poo like 1x a day.

Hi lyn

Its consecutive 2 days n i switch to soy n reduce solid to 2x. Today so far 1x but dunno yet since day not over yet. For ur boy, it only happen once?

hi do any of you have problems with constipation after introducing solids. My girl's having 3 meals a day now (with ard 20mls of soup each time) and breastfeeding in between so i dunno how much liquid she takes in but can't seem to poop normally anymore. she used to do 1-2x a day but now she seems to be trying but can't get it out.

Hi bbtwo, yup Thank God only happen once where he pooed 4-5x a day. His norm is 1x a day. How is your gal now?

Hi Ruth-ann, I see my boy tries very hard(until face red) to poo at times too. PD say let him drink 60ml or 90ml water after meal. I tried feeding my boy water but at most he drink 40ml only. His poo poo is very dry. Am trying to offer him water every now n then hoping to help him have softer stools. May I ask what soup u give your gal? I been feeding porridge for lunch n dinner; think my boy will like a change or have some variety.

Lyn,
Eczema is troublesome. Is your son supporting himself on his elbows a lot? Friction can make eczema worse. Must moisturise whole body often and generously.

Ruth-Ann: maybe add some fibre to her diet?

I usually use stock to cook porridge (e.g. Chicken stock w pumpkin or corn/broccoli/cauliflower stock) so will just give her some of the stock. I also precook veg/fruits/meat n blend n freeze into cubes so will mix diff types w her porridge. So far have given peas, carrot, pumpkin, sweet potato, cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, chye sim, tomato, corn for veg and apple, pear, banana, mango, papaya for fruits

She's on 3meals a day. How much do the rest of u feed per meal? Am thinking that she may be constipated cos she's eating too much. Either that or it's the oat cereal for breakfast. Anyone's baby constipated on oats?

i'm giving oat cereal with 1 veg or fruit puree for lunch and porridge for dinner. pd advised to start porridge 2 times a day and same time intro meat cos my baby slightly underweight.

anybody here started on meat/fish?

i'm working full-time too.

lyn, still hv > 1x poo per day. Is it normal to hv 2x poo per day?? For variety, I buy those ready rice/cereal where just need to add in water. My mum is saying to stop that as she find that it's better to cook own porridge. U ever tried the brown rice from Yu Ren Sheng? Sometimes I smash biscuits and gave this to my gal during tea break and she loves it. Cannot be too often though as it is too heaty.

hi ruth, did u give water? Since on solids, I think need to give solids. I noticed that if I give soy instead of milk, she will not poo on that day. u hv incorporate fruits and veg to your solids so should not have constipation prob. Is she on formula? Could it be the formula too heaty?

hi mummy_baby2008, I have started on meat and fish. Normally add in pcs of port together with rice to cook porridge. tried giving her 2x fish.

like suggestion on giving fruits to my gal. she does not seem to like it as she vomit out after I gave it too her. Tried steaming apple/peach and blend it. She vomit out after eating them. Is it becos its too sour? I tried letting her suck and bite on the apple and she loves it :)

Bbtwo : my baby likes peach and of course biting on the apple, she simply love it, maybe cos it's sweet & cold :D
btw i added a piece of bak kut with rice n cook porridge den add spinach, after dat took out the bak kut, blend the meat and put back into porridge. baby doesnt seem to like it. how do u give fish?? do u add to porridge or steam? another question is, do we mash the fish with fork or blend?? haiz. really not an easy job.

pd says for my baby who is 7 mths she shd weigh ard 8kg now but she is only 6kg so basically she's 2kg behind. pd ask me to give her porridge twice a day. i wonder how u cook the porridge? slow cooker cook for both meals or cook lunch & dinner seperately ?

Hi SSP, been putting physiogel intensive on my boy. Roughness improved slightly. Now, is his cheeks; all red with redness becos of his drooling saliva.

Hi Rach, I am currently working from home (full time) but should be going back office soon.

Hi Mummy_Baby2008, I started my boy with fish (tried codfish and threadfin). He likes threadfin better. I also use lean meat to boil his porridge.

Hi Mummy_Baby2008,

I cook the porridge seperately as my mum very particular. She said porridge will give wind if not give straight.

I give the fish separately. My mum fried the fish and then will use a scissors to cut it to very tiny bits. For meat, normally use the stock to cook the porridge. Have not actually start giving her meat yet. Mayb you can try cooking the veg separately as sometime when add in porridge, will hv the smell and taste :)

Lyn, is codfish very oily? How do you prepare it? Cook together with the porridge?

Hi Bbtwo, yes codfish is very oily and I cook together with porridge. But, my boy seem to prefer threadfin better. Am thinking of baking the codfish for him. What fish your mum use to fry for your gal?

Hi Lyn

Its threadfin. Wanna try codfish but feel tat its too oily. Mayb u cook it separately as find tat cooking together may b too fishy for bb since we cant put ginger??

Really run out of ideas to give as cant give potato or sweet potato everyday. Mayb will increase the porridge to twice a day.

Mummy_baby 2008, i will blend the dry rice first before cooking it

Hi Bbtwo, I baked codfish for my boy earlier and I think he likes it. His expression is funny; maybe he feels the texture of baked codfish interesting. Think will prepare him baked codfish with sweet potato puree and baby spinach tomorrow for dinner. I ran out of ideas too. Had wanted to cook pasta for my boy; but PD ask me to hold the tomato till my boy is 1year old. Think will prepare mac&cheese for my boy then.

I'm working full time too, with a 7 yr old boy and a 7mth+ gal. :p

Diarrhea:
Poo 2x a day should be ok. As long as the poo texture is not watery, should be alright. When my gal has diarrhea prev, she started pooing 4x a day, then worsen to 10x a day. Now she usually poo at least once a day, or 2x.

Solid:
Wow, guess i'm the most lazy mummy ard. You gals have put in so much effort to prepare the porridge. I have not started her on porridge yet!

Eczema:
My gal has another serious flare up last tue. Bled and ooze water again, even spread to her eyelids now. Brought her to see PD and Skin Doctor. I'm using Zaricort (with steriod) and Physiogel AI cream to treat her. Finally i see some improvement. Guess her face is super sensitive, so i must keep it very clean and moisture at all time.

Water:
I try to give my gal 60ml of water in btw of her feed.

Hi Lyn

How do u bake the codfish? Wrap in aluminuum foil put in oven? How long it take?

Hi baby sean

Ur kids age very close to mine. I hv a 7+ yr old gal n a 7+ mth gal too :) ur elder one going to p2 nxt yr??

I hv switch my gal to soy temporary to see whether this will stop her fr pooing > 2x per day. Do u think this is ok?

bbtwo:
yap, my elder one P2 nxt yr. so how are you coping? must start all over again, tiring ah.

how's her poo texture? watery? any redness to her bum? changing to soy temp should be ok. once she go bk to 1x a day, switch back slowly to her original FM.

Hi babysean,

Not watery, its smooth texture n mashed up. Pardon my description. Yup, try let her hv soy for today n c how. Tough starting all over again but enjoying it as hv been trying to hv no 2 for a long long while :) how abt urself?

Bum slightly red with frequent wiping so use the cream. Hope she will b fine soon...

bbtwo:
hmm...if not watery, should not have concern lor. anyway, u give soy a try and see how. maybe she eat more, so poo more now?

yah, i also enjoying watching her grow up. esp now the elder one getting more irritating. heehee. not cute anymore. i also try #2 for a while, totally understand how u feel.

Hi Bbtwo, I place the fish in a ramekin dish and cover it with greaseproof paper (din like the idea of aluminium foil). I bake it at 180degrees celsius for about 5mins and then remove the paper and change it to grill (top heat only) for about 2mins.

Hi babysean

Yup, called the GP tat i always go n she said to moniter. Pray everything will b ok soon. Its always a joy to watch them grow. Sometimes i will lose temper as mayb too tired. Felt bad after tat.

Hi Lyn,

Sorry but wats ramekin dish?

Hi Bbtwo, me too. I lose temper and then will feel bad especially when they start smiling at us even when we lose our temper.
Ramekin is a small serving bowl; I use a ceramic one to withstand the oven temp.

I'm also guilty of losing my temper on the kids, the elder one get it the most. even bb also spanked by me twice. sigh, hope as bb gets more mobile & older, things will get easier. not enuff sleep mummy is a very angry one.

Tried spinach and broccoli in porridge but my boy doesnt seems to like it. Any of you experienced this? Thought maybe the spinach taste is to strong and for broccoli even after i blend still can taste bits of it... hmmm dont know how to blend it too smooth leh..

Hi MagL

Y dun u cook separately n give to bb separately? Tats how i did it for my gal. Hv not tried spinach but she loves the brocolli

Hi MagL

U r most welcome. No improvement n i brought hwr c family doc. Told to b on soy for 2 wks. Now 2 days still not poo. Sigh... Headache...nice to b Sahm

Bb juz had a fall tis afternoon n niw hv a baluku on forehead. Heartache ah

bbtwo:
so ur bb is still pooing twice a day? but poo texture watery or not? if not watery, should be ok lor. my gal also has not poo since on Isomil from yday! maybe you can give urs more water and make the FM more dilute? did u apply Zam-Buk on the bump? it is really very gd. last time my son also fall and hit his forehead on the side of coffee table! we immediately apply the Zam-Buk and the swelling subsided within a few days.

eczema:
my gal still suffering from eczema on her cheeks, eyelids, ear, arms and legs! since yday, i switched her to Isomil, testing if she's sensitive to cow milk protein. her eczema gotten worst ever since switch her to Similac Stage 2. i also desperate to find out the root cause. if this doesn't work, i think will bring her for prick test.

Back