(2012/02) Feb 2012

Thanks Teong. :)

Jen, in that case clear all your ML at one go lah. Then u will go back to work later and that senior colleague hav to wait for u to come back. I think for your case better to take all cos when u go back to work sure no chance to take ML liao. U will be busy at work, boss don allow lah etc etc.... Better to clear altogether. Don cry. Can try to tok to your boss? She is stil single or no kids rite.

Thanks Teong. :)

Jen, in that case clear all your ML at one go lah. Then u will go back to work later and that senior colleague hav to wait for u to come back. I think for your case better to take all cos when u go back to work sure no chance to take ML liao. U will be busy at work, boss don allow lah etc etc.... Better to clear altogether. Don cry. Can try to tok to your boss? She is stil single or no kids rite.

GG: yup mmr need 2 jabs mah.. Mine took the mmrv jabs, mmr and chickenpox tgt.

Looks like one by one is popping! Congratz to those who have delivered and hope those delivering will have a smooth delivery too!

NC and GG, you all toking abt MMR jab for your #1. Mine will be going for MMR 2nd dose early march. Govt bring forward the jab from pri 1 to 18mths.

Jen, ya take one shot then. Less disruptive also. I think if taking flexi ml is subject to agreement by employer.

JeanK, tks for the list!! I forgot to put in mittens and booties and hubby jacket!

Opps, me going c so doc say just eat more. So far I put on about 10kg. I still got a lot of things haven't do!! Haven't wash bb clothes, find massage lady, settle cordblood thing etc!!

Opps- you are wrong. My boss is married with 2 daughters! Heard she even took no pay leave to take care of her children before I came in! Now she's not even showing empathy!

Jen, the last 2months is considered as flexi ML and really subjected to boss approval de. Does your boss allows you to break one day between the 4months ML? What my colleague taught me was that to take 2 months straight since it's mandatory. Then break one day, then then balance is take accordingly to work days so that wont lugi.. cos if take one stretch 4months, wkends is also counted.

Teoong,basically, she got a temp staff to cover me for 16 weeks so she said she do not wish to terminate the contract staff's contract early and wants me to take all without breaks. I also thought about the lugi of leave days part for weekends, that's why ask to distribute, that way-won't disrupt my work and I don't have to ask people to cover me since its only 1 day per week.
Think I can read her mind that she felt she got nothing to lose with a contract staff covering me, if I resign-she will just employ the temp staff.

Jen, your boss really no empathy then! PUI!! no choice, then it's better you take one stretch 4months. But are you taking earlier or near your EDD? For me, I would take near EDD so that I have more time with bb when bb is born. Don't cry over such woman. Must be happy! Think of your bb!
happy.gif

GG, mine took his 1st MMR at 15mths and then the 2nd MMR at 18mths (appt on 1st week of Mar 2012). Govt jus bring forward the 2nd MMR last Nov 2011 so those with appts for MMR 1st dose after Nov 2011 will be affected. All hav to take 2nd MMR at 18mths. Y your 1st MMR so late at 18mths?

Jen, don care abt the lugi part. As for me, I knw once I'm back to work, my BM supply will sure drop cos too tired to keep on pumping. So I prefer to hav full concentration on bf for 4 mths then go back work.

Opps, ya we only took at 18 mths as he was down with flu cough etc. Oh so need 2nd dose soon uh? Poor kids, so many jabs to take!

Cynthia, yes must bring pj for tmc. Sanitary pad think they provide 1 pkt but I still bring some.

Teoong and Opps, I also want to take full 16weeks if I could. But because my mum lives in the east while I live in the west, transport cost is really high. Got no car, take cab now needs to pay 25% surcharge before and after work fetching baby.Haiz..

Cyn, yes you have to bring your own PJs. I bought my own maternity pad and ask the nurse to use mine after delivery. You can tell them also that you brought your own and want to use it than theirs.

Jen, so your mummy looking after your bb after your ML? Can understand travelling from East to West... the distance... Argh.
Do you ever consider of nanny care instead? I mean keep it as a open options if the travelling is killing and by the time you OT and go over to fetch bb will be very late?

Jen, natural delivery no need to shave, unless c section. the nurse didnt shave for me at all.

for FM pre mixed milk bottles, tmc charges per block of 10 bottles at abt $15.

Just asked for interim bill for my girl... she was warded at NICU (equal to KKH's SCN) late yesterday night. as at 2pm just now, the bill is already $2k plus! PD said est 5-7 days stay but can be longer also.

at all hospitals, either u wear the hospital gown or your own PJs. Not just tmc.

maternity pads, they will open 1 pack after delivery & charge u. finish, u need more, they will charge again. So, better bring our own pack in case that one pack hospital charges not enough. if cannot finish hospital's pack, pls bring home.

hard to ask nurse to use the pack we bring. i went from labour ward to normal ward then to labour ward again and to birth room.. the process is >24 hrs and the nurses are different ast different wards and they also change shift.

Jen, why dun consider leaving ur baby with ur mum during weekdays and fetch bb home during weekends? we used to be weekend parents too despite my MIL is just 15mins drive away. but to visit our bb everyday is really very tiring for us. so sometimes we do it alternate days. imagine by the time u get home, u still need to care for bb. dun forget housework too. Now that we have a maid, we start to bring maid and bb home every night and send them to my MIL's in the morning. at least now i dun have to worry abt the chores at home in the night. the way i see it, it's really not advisable for u to bring bb home everyday. will cost you a lot of money, time, energy and frustration. and it will eventually affect ur r/s with hubby. that's wat happened in my case. hubby said it's very unhealthy for our marriage that's y i gave in and got a maid in the end.

Teoong and Mich, yah my hb also discussed option of leaving aby with my mum for weekdays and we only fetch abck during Friday nights. But I really can't imagine the separation n missing my baby every night. So told myself-no matter how tiring, I will bring baby back. Do you ladies have separation anxiety when you first go back to work after ML?

Hazel-1 day already 2k+? Can that be claim under medisave? Formula milk bottles at $1.50 per bottle? Goodness! these hidden costs are killer.

Jen, I wan to complain abt the charging of FM leh. How can govt force us to squeeze milk out when we don hav milk at all for the 1st few days. Worst for the pre-matured bb who stay in hospital for mths. They have to pay more for the FM.

Horrible. Still have to pay for the wipes and diapers leh.

Jen, I cried when I send my #1 to ifc on the 1st day. When I reach home and see an empty bouncer, cot and hse, my tears drop. As of now. I will miss my #1 when I go overseas without him or when I'm home alone. But when he is home, I got big headache cos he very naughty. MOre tiring taking care of him one whole day then to work. Conclusion, I can't be a SAHM.
How abt sending your bb to ifc? U will sure be very tired with traveling from east to west morning and nite. I feel tired by jus sending my #1 to and from ifc. Worst when hubby went for business trip and I'm all alone. And having to do hseworks and pump BM after bb sleeps. I sleep at 11.30am and wake up at 5.30am everyday. Not forgetting the nite feeds. Tats y I drop my nite pumps after I'm back work. Tats y my supply drop a lot after tat.

My gal is 6months old.
i leave my gal at nanny there and only fetch her back on weekend. at first she is looking for nanny and cry alot at night. im so sad. but later found out she like crowded and kids playing around. maybe my house is too quiet. if she stay my mum's place, she is ok. but i worried if i continuous like tat, later she refused to back her own home. Anyone can help or better suggestion?

Happy Lunar New Year Mummies and Daddies!

Congrats to all the mummies tt ve popped!
happy.gif

Hazel - Wah so lucky to be among the 1st 88 babies and there's gift somemore! Don't worry, my gf gave birth @ 35 wks n after staying in nicu for 2 wks bb is discharge. Nw strong and healthy. U popped at 36wk plus rite, should be able to bring ur princess bk home soon.
happy.gif

Jen - I am thinking of doing brazilian wax in my 39th wk coz i find it cleaner especially if gg for natural birth since there will be stiches down there.

Rocco - I cannot do without cold drinks. Been drinking it everyday since 1st trim but now a days i limit coke n milk tea to once a wk becoz of the sugar level.

Charging of FM
Yah i also think its ridiculous especially when its known tt milk supply usually only comes in after a week or so! Already so expensive to give birth in sin & still wanna add to the rising cost!

Mummies if u ve not pop on ur edd, will u induce straight or wait a few more days?

Opps- you are soo right! FM used to be complimentary sponsored by co, now we are made to pay for them becuase gov believes this is only way to make BF? It only adds on to our already heavy financial burden.

Esther- That was my fear too, scared baby will reject me from being away too long. The first 3 years are the most important bonding period, I'm so afraid that baby will not recognise us or distance from us when we see her only during weekends. Is your gal your first child, maybe wif siblings, woyuld be better.

Jen, at first i oso dun bear to be separated from bb. sometimes i can't sleep at night cos miss bb too much. then i tried to visit him everyday after work. but after some time, it gets really tiring, esp when work is demanding. and now with #2, even more tiring. Jen, u can try to fetch bb home everyday at first. but if it's too tedious, better to be weekend parents.
of cos when i first return to work, i was so tempted to call my MIL every hour to check on bb. but i din do it cos i was afraid MIL may think i dun trust her. so no choice, motivate myself by looking at his pics and try to finish work fast so that i can go back to him at 6pm sharp.

NC, GG, oops - so bb fever how long ah? Kip slp normal ma? I see her like tat v heart pain leh. But she so nottie still den I see her cry more unbearable. But cannot dun discipline wo. 2nd jab so fast??? Omg I wonder if we had as many jabs last time. Already she has more jabs than other bbs cos her papa is hep b carrier. Warraoz. 18 mths the time still in confinement. How to handle sia... =.="

Jen - aiyos ur boss v mean. Y not try take unpaid leave like her too? Try tok to her in person see wat she suggests u do if she was u? Den u act blur ask her last time how long her leave she take? See wat she say? Dun cry over tis. Not worth making urself upset ya.

Happytomato - just choose a date tat u like! =) my #1 induced 4 days after edd cos I tink 8/9/10 easy rem and nice date. But in the end she pop 9/9/10 instead. She wan choose herself. Anyways gynae said my #2 mite b late also so her edd 23/2/12, I prob do 28/2/12. But also depends on ur amniotic level and gynae's recommendation.

xia: haha one more day will be leap yr bb liao!

my edd is 7th feb but nt sure if can induce on 5th since same chinese bday as hubby... wonder how long more he will go into engagement. 12 more days to my edd, veri soon its a single digit countdown!

my naughty one is very active from 8pm to 1am. sometimes in d mid of night i wake up to go toilet he kicks too! wonder whether nxt time he will b more active at night too when he is out!

Hi Jen,
Ya she is my first child. I'm so scared to bring her home now. I dunno wat shld I do now. Aish.... Think the only way now is wait for her to grow older

Xia - 9/9/10 also very easy to remember.
happy.gif
Was ur labour long for ur #1 since u induce 1 day earlier?

Rocco - i have 9 more days to my edd on 4th feb. Can really feel my stomach stretching to the max nw.

Jen,

I share your sentiments...my boss is also making things difficult for me even weeks before going off on maternity. I also cried in front of her...and yes same like yours, she has 2 kids too.

But i try to tell myself, just do whatever I can. within your own limits. don't force or overstress yourself. it's not worth it. Baby more impt. Then slowly i let go.

My hubby even told me, if she continues like tat after i go back to work from maternity, he asked me to quit my job and told me that I have his support. I was really touched...I also cried...

support from family is also very important, try talk to your family and see if they can give you more suggestions to tackle with such bosses.

Life is short. not worth to be unhappy.

Rocco - Ya I abit scared cross over midnight. LOL! Den so ke lian onli 4 yrs 1 bday. Told my gynae today den she say if I scared den induce on 27th nite. Keke. Oh and if onli 2 days earlier should b ok de. Tok to ur gynae. My fren induced 2 wks earlier. Just cos she say she dun feel like waiting le. Woot! Urs also coming? So fast! How I wish mine too. Like been waiting v long liao. Heh. Mine also kip kicking ESP at nite. I hope is just dreaming reflex. LOL!

Happytomato - quite long I tink. But half of it is waiting for contractions to kick in. I was induced abt 8am. Den wait v long like still no/irregular small contractions. Abt 4pm admit cos doc say with drip will make the process faster. Was 1-2cm dilated 2 wks prior to edd. Admitted and hooked onto ctg den dilated to abt 4cm at 6pm. Den my allergy episode kicked in plus epidural long wait till abt 9pm. Dilation stuck at 4cm till epidural kicked in. Within 2.5 hrs reached 8cm dilation. Finally Delivered at 0002hrs. Effectively my labor could have been 5 hrs but was prolonged to total 8hrs(I.e. if start of labor = start of regular contractions). So actually I dunno considered long or short. LoL. Waaaa urs also so soon! Gd luck ya! U delivering where? Tmc also? Mebbe can get ang bao? Heh

Xia: must wait baby abit bigger than try latching now just pumping and store in fridge.

Teong: actually before soul mummy water bag broke, one week before already complain back aching etc. Then followed by discharge. Coz during later part of pregnancy should not have discharge.. Didn't know was mucus plug dislodged le. Then SoulMummy went out celebrate Xmas with friends. Lol.. That night 1 plus woke up bed abit wet.. Thought what.. Went to toilet pee realise water keep flowing when per stopped. That's when I woke up. And called doctor and advise to go restructured. Probably the best decision as the final interim bill before subsidy was around $20,000 and private would set us around $50,000 or more. Mummy spent almost two weeks and darling daughter about 3 plus weeks in NICU.

Coming back, SoulMummy's contractions were very irregular.. Dilations was probably the best estimate during labour.

RE: Breast Pads
may I suggest that for mummies to consider breast shields as breast pads sometimes might have the tendency to stick. Imagine you injure your knee, bleeding, then the cotton stick.
SoulMummy using medela Breast Shields.

For mummies at TMC, do ask the lactation consultant regarding breast funnel size.. Medela using 24mm standard size, some mummies might require larger funnel or else, will injure your boob area eg tender sore nipple areola areas etc.

We also weekend parents. Sometimes go visit weekdays. Both of us are busy with work and is simply too tiring to bring to and fro everyday one. A bit no point also cos by time bring back bb sleep soon. And next morning have to wake bb up early. Dun worry, bb will always know who their parents are. The bond will still b there one.

Soul - oh ya how much bb weigh now? Wat was her length at birth ah?

GG - urs so fast fever? Last for how many days ah? Mine like onli started 9 days after jab. So long tat I almost dun rem fever could b caused by jab. Till hb remind me =x.

Hazel - waaaaa seems like u got gd flow. if no milk hand express is impossible. Gd for u!

Maxiblur - grats!!! Any hampers from hospital for u? Heh. Wishing ur wifey a speedy recovery! =)

Milk flow has not come in yet. The first few days after delivery is a few drops of colostrum which r v nuritious for the bb. So, not enough to be collected into a bottle. The nurse taught me Collect these precious few drops into sterilised disposable syringe. After that I passed to the nicu nurse who will mix with glucose to feed bb... When I used the avent manual pump TMC lent me, I can't even get any droplets... My gynae told me we oneself massage n expressed work better to stimulate.. I just managed to express another 2 drops n gave to nurse..

Xia, mine don hav fever at all. But he very cranky and keep waking up to cry from the nite after the jab for 2 weeks. His appetite also affected. Refused to finished his usual amount of milk. But after 2 weeks all went back to normal. So far I nvr heard any negative effect for MMR 2. Maybe tats y can be taken in pri sch. Can imaging if whole class went on MC cos of fever. So theres no effect for MMR 2 so that pri sch class can go as per normal.

I will also be on confinement for my #1's MMR 2. Nurse suggest to have both bb's jandice check and #1's MMR 2 on the same day. I will try to make tis arrangement. Also hope hubby won't go overseas. Cos he will be the one bring both kids together with my CL. If he really hav to go overseas, I will go with my CL. No choice.

Maxiblur: congratulations on your newborn!

Xia: didn't notice length. Lol.. Weight last checked when discharged was 2.065kg maybe 2.1kg now?

Sister told me the jabs and all for baby to take at GP or poly clinic coz PD charges quite high.. So you all might want to take note. Coz she having trouble switching to polyclinic after that..

soul, u r rite, cheaper and more systematic in polyclinics. Everything will be according to schedule. WOn't miss anything jabs. But I don knw y my most of my friends are still going to PD for the injections.

Back