(2012/01) Jan 2012

dear MTB, i having cramps now since 2pm+, called my doc and he asked me go KK A&E...
i very scare leh.. only wk 33 now..

now waiting for my hubby to take cab to come my office..

Emmeline, ya, it's a wake up call to put a brake to my eating honeymoon, ha ha

Poseidon, ya, maternal milk etc are stated as sweet beverage to avoid coz what I state above is sample diet for GD mum. The GD test is actually a glucose test, got to fast over night then drink a bottle of glucose syrup at hospital then take readings. I failed the test by borderline so it means my sugar level quite high. So all the food stated in the diet plan r generally bland food.

Jkids, I have 2 gynaes, my main one does not consider bb weight to be an issue too, but my second gynae, Dr Benjamin Tham, is very cautious and helpful about my pregnancy even though he knows I'm going to him only for second opinion. He asked me to go thru the test n explain to me the diet plan patiently. I'm supposed to do my prick test at home w the small device I bought to monitor my glucose level and email my results to him next week so that he can follow up.

Lush, unsweetened soy milk is okay. The diet plan he gave me is a few pages so I just summarized above.

Hi poseidon, my delivery will be at Mt alvernia. Getting excited and scared... Nearing to the date... My hubby is 1.83m and I am 1.57m so maybe baby follow the father.

ritzc, thks for sharing the sample menu! food wise think i still quite ok, usually have sandwiches & chai peng/ noodles, etc, occasionally then have chicken rice, hokkien mee, etc.. BUT usually will have milo for bkfast, teh C for lunch, fruit juice for teabreak & hot choc for dinner :p.. think i gotta cut down on my sweet beverages/malted milk drinks liao.. the milk in the sample menu refers to? HL milk? soymilk?

lush, i love my post cranberry almond cereal + HL milk too!! usually take cereal during wkends.. sandwich/bun + milo during wkdays.. if cut down on milk/sweet beverages/malted milk drinks, then what else is there to drink? hmm...

babytum, i also wanna take ben & jerry DAILY!! i tot i was bad (1 pint in 1-2 weeks).. hahah.. how much have u put on so far? & how heavy is you bb now?

liv, how r u liao? do take care..

took 1/2 day leave today to go mt A hospital tour & suntec baby baby fair..

mt A: parking is still ok & much better than TMC, am allowed to self-park at the basement of the multi-story carpark & still got quite a few lots available (maybe coz its wkday?).. reno is mainly at the ground floor, level 3 delivery wards r not really affected.. so it'll still be mt A for me!

baby baby fair: went there mainly to sign up for cordlife pkg.. nothing much interesting.. seems like fewer stalls than baby expo & parenthood fair, but got sure-win instant lucky dip & lucky draw la.. main stalls r cordlife, avent, pigeon, jj cole, baby bjorn, puku, small small world, babies bellies, ntuc income, prudential, axa, etc.. more details -> http://www.facebook.com/babybabysingapore

cordlife promotion: depending on pkg, ~$350-400 off the initial payment + $50/$150 taka vouchers + sure-win lucky dip (taka/mothercare vouchers, etc)..

Jac, the milk refers to 1 cup of plain skimmed or low fat milk. Can be substituted w 1 cup of high calcium unsweetened soy milk.

Liv, hope u r feeling better today, take care..

liv:
hope everything turns out ok!

ritzc:
under what circumstance were u asked to take the GD test? so far, i only took blood test and got the instance result about my high sugar level, but that was the last visit. i was not asked to do any other test.

Jkids, I think it depends on gynae's perspective about bb weight gain coz my kkh one did not ask me to take any test just ask me dun eat too much. My tmc gynae read the info I gave him about my bb's weight from my kkh scans: 27 week - 1.4 kg, 29 week- 1.8 kg, 31 week -1.7 kg ( lose weight, weird right) and says even at 29 week 1.8kg is too heavy. Then he scan me n find that my bb gained 500g in a week and is now 2.2 kg. And asked me to take the glucose test.

Think some mummy have big babies their gynaes also never sent them for the GD test. And GD is suppose to go away after pregnancy so maybe some gynaes dun want to scare their patients unnecessarily. Juz that if u know ur bb already on the big side, got to self control diet. Mine if every week gain 500g will hit 6kg at 40 weeks full term bah. Faint!

Jkids, on another mtb thread, a mum's bb is 2.2 kg at week 32 n she is cleared of GD. So not every mum w heavy baby has GD. Hope this ease ur concerns.

jkids,

I just went for gynes check up on friday and at 32 weeks bb at 2kg. Dun worry too much my doc also never say I need any test done. Just ask me to control durian and sugar intake that's all
happy.gif

thanks ritzc and cyy. it never happened to my previous pregancies b4 so quite worried this happened to me this time. my gynae didnt give me much assurance also. i stopped eating cakes and switched to wholemeal bread instead. this pregnancy gave me the moz stress.i also hope i am juz worried for nothing
happy.gif

my MIL juz came & visit.. niam on the bb's chinese name & commented that i'm round & fat again!!! arragghrr!!! damn irritating!!!

morning mommies.

jac
let MIL ngiam lo...most important thing is that she is not staying with you
happy.gif

jkids
dont stress.....stress is no good for the bb...cos we will excrete out ANXIETY to bb too!

RitzC
i think KKH protocal is to OGTT only if patients have history of diabetes in their family history. Also when they have persistent adverse routine urine test.
ermmm u seeing Dr Tham cos you used to be Dr Tham's patient in KKH?

Weather is really cool these few days...but at times I am still perspiring like mad....esp during meals. Cant imagine if we are preggie during June! It will be crazy.

Sqin, I only started seeing my second gynae after my kkh changed my prescription for my cervical shortening abruptly and put me on another medication. I was paranoid so decided to seek second opinion.

Jingles, ya,I think u r right. Coz my reading is borderline failure and when I diy my own prick this morning it is normal. No, I wasn't Dr Tham's patient previously. I juz googled reviews of gynaes and decide on him. Ay, he is good for paranoid mummy like me coz he explains a lot.

Jac, my mil seems the same type as urs, she always say negative stuff and commented I eat too much will get GD, and ya, she's right coz I was diagnosed the next day. Didn't let her know coz she will niam me further!

jingles, no la.. she herself is short & fat.. then commented that i'm short & fat! idiot! carrying a bb is already tough enough & i'm worried that i can't lose all the preggy weight myself.. dun need her insensitive comments.. somemore cannot shoot her back coz need give hb face.. damn TL! seriously hope she doesn't come visit during confinement.. else can juz imagine she'll comment how come i'm still so fat after giving birth.. !@&!@#@~@#

Jkids, ur sugar level may be just due to the food u eat, so change ur diet should do. After 3 days of bland food, I just diy my first prick this morning and my reading is normal. Think the food we eat makes a difference. So don't be too worried la.

But also dun overdo in cutting down on food coz the menu plan I posted above is a sample menu. It is stated that for some individuals the menu may be tailored to meet their activity level. In fact, I feel faint after 2 days, think so used to high sugar diet, cannot suddenly cut down too much. Feel only better after finishing a very small packet of milo coz that day I hav'nt stock up on low fat milk yet so was juz on bland food and plain water the whole day, so most prob become low sugar. So everything still needs to be taken in moderation.
happy.gif

morning mummies..

so tempered to start resting at home liao.. right foot /right calf is very swollen..very bad water rentation and it get worst as the day goes by.. walking around is starting to get a bit challenging..

The best thing is both the western doctor ( my gynea ) and the chinese doctor ( my father ) tell me the same thing!!! just bear with it and dont walk soo much... rise leg higher.. --"

ritzC
yes...u are on safe hands...cos Dr Tham is a v v patient and nice doctor - can assure any worried mommies easily
happy.gif
He was my first gynae in KKH..miss him so much ah
happy.gif

Jac
poor thing la..your MIL sure is an insensitive soul. But just try to barrier out her negativities lo...and look at it this way....people said that when mommies are carrying their bbs, bbs are also v alert of the outside world...let bb know that poor mommy is being bullied by evil ah ma...kekekekekeke

Jkids
I agree with RitzC- its the food we eat. So ultimate is the first testing of the day should be clear of any glucose. That means first thing in the morning. If that reading is still nt good, you have to be v alert.

poseidon
yes...i also have bad water retention few weeks back. but lift feet (above waist level) while sleeping/watching TV will bring down the swell quite a fair bit.

Jac >> I put on about 4kg at 32 weeks bah.. Baby was 1.8kg then..So I continue eating lor.. If don't eat I feel v stress leh.. Im controlling it to 3.4 pint daily.. haha.. if not i can finish 1 or more if uncontrolled.. My hubby finish the rest and my 2 yr old #1 take a few mouths.. Each time i take the uring test i scared but so far still ok..

Poseidon_gal >> i thot water retention should walk more?? To help circulation?

good morning mommies!
happy.gif

Liv: hope that you are ok! Keep us posted yah. Take care!

Jac: your MIL really very irritating leh.. doesn't she know that it will affect your mood which in turn affects her grandchild!

poseidon: for water retention, need to drink more water and reduce on salty foods yah...hope you fell better soon!
happy.gif

are all your babies head down already? I just did my scan last Sat and baby is still in breech position... arrghhh..but his weight is back to average at 2.1kg at Week 34. So drinking milk twice a day and eating more proteins really help.
happy.gif

Jac >> ok la.. no needa envy. You will lose most after delivery one la. For my #1, i gained less than 5 (4 plus) at delivery at full term. Then straight after delivery i weighed myself in hospi the nxt morning, I was like 3 kg less than pre preg weight! I was a little too thin then i felt and gynae also say now needa beef up lots.. then i went on to breastfeed for a year but i tried to eat v calorie loaded stuff so i don;t lose any more. eventually i went back to close pre-preg... I dunno why i din gain much too to be honest cos i had no moring sickness and i was really eating as per normal.. my hubby was sayin without the B&J, I might end up losing weight again!

poseidon: I'm praying for my boy to turn head down! been talking to him everyday..hahah.. hope it works! otherwise it's C-sect for me!
sad.gif

sugar level:
ladies, i have to agree wif you about the food we eat. my latest test show i am free of high sugar level. but i will continue to not eat cakes especially. a lot of things stress me out, with another 2 kids, i have more things to fan and handle unlike last time. they really get on my nerves these days. i am trying my best to control my anger but not doing well. other than breaking down, i also have problem sleeping well.

low placenta/ c section:
those who have gone thro c section, can you share your experience, be it under local or general anaethesia?

my doc told me i have a 90% chance of doing a natural delivery. but since i am doing ligation, he suggested i go for c section. he can even do a c section for me by end of this yr, something i have always hope for. but i wonder if doing something against nature is not good? according to him, bb will be about 37 weeks n he may do a jab to strength his lung. i am in a dilemma.

poseidon:
yes, coz i dun want bb to waste one yr to go P1. but my hub quite agt it coz he prefers to come out when he wants.

jingles:
yah ...thats what he said coz he want to play safe. he even said for some bb, muz put in the hosp for 2 days till bb lung matures...

jingles:
yah loh...headache...

this is wat i found, maybe the reason y my doc is doing it. Typically if you go into labor, labor matures the baby's lungs and babies typically do very well even if they are a few weeks early. However, if a Csection is done earlier than 38 weeks, without the onset of labor, there is a higher likelihood of lung problems. Most doctors will plan csections for later than 38 weeks due to this reason.

ohh jkids
yes...thats enlightening
happy.gif

ya i read somewhere like tis also..
a kind of antibiotics is also pass to infant upon natural delivery.....whereas bb via c-sect will not have such antibiotics lo.

url]

Avent Single electric breast pump for sale. I have the warmer, storage cups and breast pads for sale as well. These are brand new. For the warmer, we threw away the box. Used once to test if it is working. I can sell everythingat $250 because I have no use for it. I can't express any breast milk and I gave up after a few tries. Paid $400 plus for everything, bought at a shop at Thomson medical on 13 Oct.I can be contacted at 9765 6584.

Jingles, is dr tham pro natural birth instead of c-sec? What about episiotomy?

Can any mummy advise whether should ask dr to do episiotomy? From accounts I read previously, it sounds scary.

ritzc
thru wat i know Dr Tham is a v pro natural birth..unless he has changed ever since joining TMC.
Also understand that epis is something unavoidable esp so for #1 and Asian mommies...

ritz
yup i heard that Dr Tham is pro-natural. Personally, I'm choosing not to do an episiotomy. I read that healing is better if the skin tears naturally, than if you cut it.

Jingles and echo, thanks, hmm, maybe I will ask him about the episiotomy when I email him my GD tracking sheet this wedn. Think my kkh gynae is used to doing episiotomy for patients. If can avoid, will be good.

re epi, there r different schs of tots from what i heard/read.. some say epi is more controlled & hence heal faster, some say natural tear heal faster.. guess depends on what your gynae believes in ba, not up to us to choose..

has everyone finish their preparations? i'm more or less done with shopping, looking for a nice cot mobile nia.. but haven't started washing yet, waiting for maid to do when she comes this wkend.. heehee..

things i need to buy : playpen ( realise need to put one at mum's place), wet wipes, nursing bra, front button shirt,
things to do : pack hosptial bag, read breast pump manual to understand how it works, bring clothings ( both mine and baby ) to mum's place..
cut hair,

i hope both list dont get longer.. running out of time liao..oppss me is last min...

poseidon, u doing your confinement at your mum's place? for nursing bra, can try the birth shop/ moms-in-mind (http://www.thebirthshop.com.sg).. quite comfy & not too ex.. good thing is can try on b4 buying.. I juz bought a few from them at the baby fair over the wkends..

Hi,

I have following items for sale:

1. BRAND NEW Pigeon wipes with casing (multiple): $4.90
Usual: $7.90

2. BRAND NEW Tommee Tippee 0-3m Pacifier (x1): $4

3. BRAND NEW Pigeon Milk Bottles (x1): $13 each
Wide Neck, Peristaltic Nipple, BPA Free, 240ml

4. PRE-LOVED Organza Cloth for Maternity Shots: $8
White with Shimmer, 3M long, Used only once.

Collection at Sengkang MRT.
Pls email me at [email protected] for photos.

Jac.. yah doing confinment at my mum's place and next time she will help me to take care of baby when i go back to work..
Actually it is a last min decision to get the playpen coz mum mention that it is better to move the baby cot over to her place for 1 mth then move back to our place after confinment..but i find it too troublesome..might as well get a playpen and perm put there..

Back