(2011/11) Nov 2011

Hey mommies, gd m! Another monday!

I am exactly 24 weeks today - another 16 weeks (4 mths)... seems like a long time away.

Anyway just to share, my friend who is currently 34 weeks, was suspected of having preeclampsia and waiting for test results today to confirm. Her bb is currently 1.8 kg only and will be delivering via c-sect if confirmed. I hope everything will go well for her. Mommies, pls do take care of yourself and bb.

Simp, the take fair (and Isetan) fair is till 14 Aug =p >> Happy shopping

Anyway, i went taka fair on fri nite and bought my cot - $399 and my pram - maclaren pram (2008 model) at $399. Spent alot of $$ =(( And then Sat went kiddy palace and spent another $150 on misc bb stuff... and still got stuff not bought yet ...

Stretchmark cream

I am using Palmers's... so far so good.. I bought from JB citisquare's watson -- cheaper than S'pore by 50%.. =)

ptsmallbear, which brand u referring to? Medala Pump in style (PIS) is good -- I would have bought if my friend didnt lend me her Swing... My friend was recommended by the lactation consultation at TMC to buy PIS when she was delivering there =p .. the lactation consultation also said that the mini-pump is not strong enough and only good for occasional use..

else u can also buy from the overseas sprees, i heard pple buying, much cheaper at $400+ but without warranty.. =pp

felixp,

So u recommend buying a breast pump lah... Avent single pump is quite mini, no good enough? I went Taka fair on Sunday too. So many people. Only bought a 2-in-1 playpen-cum-cot and I felt tired already. And rushing to get back for dinner with in-laws, so I din buy more.

But I suppose stroller and car seat I can get from my relative hand-me-down.

janice,i inform my gynae to do it, usually is around 35-36 weeks test for strep B.

Ptsmallbear, if you worry money wasted for breast pump buy a second hand or loan fm your relatives/ friends. i think Isetan is selling medela mini plus at $279 cw 30pcs breast paps, nipples and infared themometer. U can checkout first.

berrypie, ok i'll inform my gynae when time comes [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] thank u

ptsmallbear, i would recommend buying the PIS if u are intending to buy one but its quite x, 700++

But i heard normally the hospital will have various pumps available for moms to rent/borrow. U can also wait till then then try out the pumps before deciding which to buy ... =pp

The medaela mini plus is the one my friend brought to TMC and the lactation consultant advised that its not very good cos its meant for occasional use only.. and my friend went to buy the PIS on the same day. I think oso depends bah...

Ptsmallbear, i oso 1st time mum - just sharing what i heard from friends only =pp

Felixp

I think our edd shd be very close if i delivery full term. Im coming 24th wk on wed [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] Seeing gynae on thurs for scan and hopefully placenta move up. I suspect it is moved up as i feel much better and not so strained on my lower tummy. Hopefully gynae dun scold me for putting like 4-6kg for this month :p Now i feel more pregnant with the bump [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Pump

Last time i bgt my Medela PIS pump from tmc. If you sell back to them within 6m, think can get back some money.

For those working and plan to provide bm for 6m and above while pumping in office or do bottle feed bm. It is wise to invest in a top grade pump like medela ($700+), avent ($800+?) or ameda (abt $400) costing between $300-1000.

For those doing exclusive tbf, then i think the pump gd for use for 1-2m to stimulate the milk flow, after that it is kept. I only used for 1-2m and kept away like new. After this child, am going to sell away after i use for 1st 1-2m.

I have friend who bgt the entry level medela and she bled pumping milk for 1st kid. Very painful. 2nd time round, she bgt the top grade medela/avent and it was so much easier and smooth for her. My cousin also used the entry level and premium level and advised me to get the best possible if we want successful bf.

For those who are not sure if u want bf, got bm or can persist, then u can rent to try out before committing else it is another investment to last for at least 1-2 child.Think most bb hospital has this service besides tmc. Need lactation consultant to encourage and show u how to do it correctly.

My sil did loan from me for my niece then but not successful in bf. This time round as she is due in jan/feb 2012, she may want to give it another try to bf her bb. This time i think she will loan or get a 2nd hand pump. Wd be getting back my PIS for my this child. Hopefully the pump dun die, else headache.

Hi All Mummies,

New to this forum here. Always been a silent reader.Currently 25 weeks. Edd on 10th Nov at KK. Read on u guys discussions and i learn alot.

Thank u ^^

felixp/ptsmallbear, i bou a 2nd handed medela mini plus fm ebay. had been using a year for my #1,so far so gd for me. Gg to use it again for #2 soon..

Welcome Shalline! Do u know the gender for ur bb?

Hi hi, sometimes when the baby is kicking, anybody feel the baby is kicking the cervix or the back (anus)? I feel it sometimes and wondering is baby's leg or hand there :p

janice,

I dont have her book. Where did you buy it from? she kept referring to it during her lesson. I am interested to get them.

little_one,

My lesson was at 430pm. after urs..our class ended 30mins late..saw a long queue outside.

ptsmallbear,

i heard from my friends surely will have bm one. just that you have to keep on latching or expressing and dun give up, it will come eventually some few days or wks. remeber to also eat more fish to get the milk supply gg. maybe you can rent from hospital first if u worry abt ur supply. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

taka fair:

are there any medela spare parts on discount at taka fair?

hi shalline, welcome!

janice,

yes my bb also sometimes kick my inside. felt super weird like alot of gas want to fart or something...haha..

Twink, I got it free when I sign up the first born baby member with TMC. Think yr next lesson she'll bring to sell. She said cheaper to buy in her class then buy from TMC.

Lol... Ok same feeling as yours too. Thot I'm bloated or wat hehe

Littlebb, is it alot? I've some watery discharge n doc said as long as not dripping down d leg it's ok. better call d doc to ask

Simp-Thanks for sharing confinment tingkak..The prices are quite exp.I am thinking to order confinment tingkak after my one month confinment but after looking at the prices really have to reconsider.Maybe order normal tingkak .

Janice-I had went to see my gynae just now.My gynae said its watering discharge.I had some infection as well and gynae had cleared the infection.Quite embarrasing and disgusting!My placenta still very low.At week 25 my bb weight 700+g.I cant wait to enter my 3rd tri..

Littlebb, glad it's not amnio fluid. Sometimes watery discharge could be infection as I got it d last time too. Now I still hv but tested clear. We are prone to infection now so no choice. Try to keep dry n also not to take too sweet stuff as easily get infection.

My baby is also 700g+ @ week 25 n doc said weight is ok [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] me too can't wait to enter 3rd trimester. 2 more weeks to go n 3rd tri already ^^

Hi and welcome Shalline [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] to join us in this thread.

littlebb

What' watering discharge? Is it some infection? Then we all need to take note as well. Good the infection is cleared.

I also find the tingkat price ok if u dun have confinement lady to take care. But if it is for post confinement period, then it is really exp. The normal tingkat for 2 person is <$200/mth. So i tgt it could be cheaper and more hassle free than tabao daily.

Janice

I havn started feeling bb kickingthe cervix and anus yet. Maybe later in 3rd trimester when we are near due term. Cannt believe that in a few more weeks, we will be entering 3rd trimester. It is a happy and exciting trimester though i feel we will be tired and sleepless nearer edd.

If wanna save some money and use a better pump, think can consider buy the pump from oversea. There is always spree on going, the only con side is there is no warranty as mentioned. I do invest a Medela freestyle, get it total as $410+, would like to use it and push me more on the BF.

My first prenancy use a pass down Medela mini, think suction really not that power, thus in the end use my fren's avent manual then can successful, but I just last my BF for a month plus, supply is not up. So, this time round hope able to success. If later dun use anymore, think still can sell it.

Simp, sometimes watery discharge can be due to infection. Cos the last time i had, and doc told me it might be infection and true enuf i got it.

I'm now only starting week 26 tmr, now already feeling it, am i too fast? hahaha... just hope not cos baby is too low. Yes yes, few more weeks, in fact 3+ more months to go!

Breast pump

Those 2nd hand pumps, i keep wondering it is unhygenic to use since someone use it before or we just use the machine and we buy the new suction (dunno what is that call hahah)?

Janice and mommies getting preloved pump,

For any preloved pump u buy, as long as the parts are in contact with milk, u shd just buy the spare parts to change for hygiene purpose. For eg medela breast shield and membranes come in contact w milk, that need to be changed. Suction does not have any contact with milk so i wont change. When i passed to my sil, i told her to get new breast shield and change the membrane. For avent and ameda, im not too sure, got to ask the seller direct.

Anything that is in contact with milk shd be sterilised esp the breast shield for the 1st 3-6m. This is besides sterilising the milk bottle, teast etc. I dun remember sterilising membrane though as it is too fragile to keep removing it?

Hi Little bb,

Sometimes I do have some water leaking also and usually it happens if I suddenly cough too hard. but the it is not so much so I do not think ours is waterbag leaking. but it is always better to check with the doc.

baby bag

anyone here is planning to buy a baby bag? or already bought?

baby cleaning cloth

My friend told me we need to prepare

1. normal bath towel

2. bath towel with hood

3. small face towel

4. small towel to wipe baby body during bathing

5. small and soft towel to clean baby mouth especially if baby drinks formula milk

6. cotton buds to clean baby ears

7. cotton wool to clean baby eyes

anything else I miss here?

but during pre-natal class, the nurse said no need to clear ears. Any idea?

Do we need to prepard another seperate cloth to clean baby's bottom part?

And what will you use to clean baby's belly button?

Simp,shjean,Janice-My gynae told me the watering discharge is due to infection and glad its cleared but i still need to insert the medicine for 6days...

Can we actually rebond our hair now? My hair in such a mess.My hair very long so im thinking to cut shorter and do rebonding,easier to manage.Im not sure if its the right time to do now or should i wait untill 3rd tri?

I have Mrs Wong Boh Boi's books all 3 of them, still brand new as it is an extra set. Selling all 3 of them at $20. Pls PM me if you are keen.

hello mummies,

I cant seem but to notice that most of you are preparing for baby items. I would like to share some of the items as I am preparing for my no.2 too.

Items to get for Newborn babies/First time Mums

Baby’s Room

Baby Cot / Playpen

Musical mobiles/ Merry-go-round – good to get one… get yr friends etc to get 1 for you… can make it yrself too…

Mattress (3″ or 4″)

Blanket – get a thin cotton one for singapore weather (or can use cloth Diapers)

Bumper – u need this when bb start to poke their heads thru the cot…

Bedsheets

Cupboard/Chest of Drawers

Baby's clothing

lots of Mittens/Bootees

Disposable Diapers – Do not save on disposables when bb is young cos their skin is very sensitive. Use Pampers S no need NB

Blouse/shirts – long and short sleeves – for newborns, best buy those with buttons in front or strings…

Suits – pants and long shirts for night usage

Rompers - good for going out… cos prevent wind from getting into their tummy…

Handkerchiefs (get plenty of them)

Baby bathing

Baby wipes – for going out

Cotton wool – for cleanning of bum with water at home

Bath tub

Anti-slip mat

Bath towel

Bath sponge (optional, small cotton handkerchief would suffice)

Baby bath lotion - JJ

Baby shampoo - JJ head to toe shampoo

Feeding Baby

Milk bottles (big+small) + teats – for breastfeeding mummies,

Bottle scrub brush

Warmer cum carrier bag

Digital Ear Thermometer (to use when baby is unwell)

Electric Steam Steriliser

Milk containers

Bags/milk bottles to store expressed breastmilk

Misc

Nail clippers

Anti-nappy rash cream - Desitin Creamy for Day usage, Desitin Original for Night usage

Ziplock bags for checkups and outings.

Polythene bag for soiled diapers

Care of the Umbilical Cord Stump

Sterile cotton swabs – get from hospital pharmacy… before discharging…

Accessories

Stair/door gates (If you want to separate your baby & pets)

Rubber protectors for bedroom doors

Highchair

Stroller – different stage needs different stroller… newborns need those that can be flat…. but these are heavy… thus, then they are older, get maclaren ones, light and not ex…

Car seats – even if you do not have a car, this is good for bringing newborns around… those with a handle

Toys & Playstuff

Rattle

Mirror

Mummy Care

Maternity Dress/top/bottom

Pyjamas with front opening for breast feeding – for hospital stay

Breast pump

Anti Stretchmark creams

Nursing bras

Nipple cream for crack nipples

Nursing pads

Cotton panties (larger size when reach later stage of pregnancy)

Sanitary pads for heavy flow

Bedroom slippers – good to have… otherwise, just use socks…

Other optional items

Thermoflask without autoboil, for mum’s drinking water

Claypot or double boil claypot for mum’s confinement soup

Claypot or earthenware for cooking pig’s trotters in ginger and black vinegar

2 pails for mum’s bathing and face cleansing.

Eid, thanks for sharing [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] it's really great for 1st time mum

Hi all. Baby gender is girl which hubby is super happy. He wants a girl first

By the way ladies, do you know where can I find mattress? I'm looking for mattress Any difference between playpen mattress and cot mattress?

Mrs Lim, I love gal too [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] can dress them up. Haha girl will always b daddy's girl ^^

Hi shjean, e nurses are right. We do not need to clean bb ears. Just gently wipe it dry after each bathtume. Bb ears are very dedicate n cleaning with cotton buds may hurt e ear drums. ;)

Hi Eid,

thanks for your information. my friend advised me to use Mustela products. I have bought some but think if use this brand for long term is quite costly. Any idea if J&J is good enough for newborn also? but they have a lot of options also, which one is more suitable for newborn shower and hair?

Hi Little bb,

How heavy is your water discharge? I do have sometimes but not so frequent.

HI Mrs Lim,

Congrats to you! A little princess[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Hi Janice,

I feel my feet is bigger now also and I am now 26 weeks.

Eid, yes definitely it's useful [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Shjean, I juz realize it only during bath n think only on 1 leg

little_bb, i duno if can rebond hair or not, they are using alot of chemicals? or maybe you can check with ur doctor if it is safe. i also got insert pills when i had infection but mine only for 3 days.

janice,

maybe will be able to buy during nxt lesson. cant wait [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

eid,

thanks for your detail list! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] J&J i read will make hair coarse.not quite sure though.. i wonder if kodomo is good to use also?

simp,

do u know where can get medela freestyle pump soft breast shield spare parts? my fren say only kkh carry and the other shops sell normal ones which are not that comfy..i find it abit troublesome to travel there just to get some parts..

mrs lim,

congratulations on ur first baby girl! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] me also expecting first bb girl. so excited got so many pretty clothes can dress her up with..

babybag,

i havent got mine yet.. still browsing magazines for ideas.. the bags are really expensive right? mostly $100+ anyone got recommendation where to get nice useful and affordable ones?

me in wk 24 now. so far not much swelling in feet but my thighs and calves look giant now..

My leg looks the same to me but feels different.. Can feel like its swelling coz when I walk, it feels heavy and uncomfortable.

Anyway I think im also having urine infection. My tummy feels very tight after my toilet visit and im kinda worried. Had it last month and my gynae gave me some stuff to drink but it didnt help. Forgot to tell her the last time I went.. Oops..

Is it good to but playpens at the taka fair? Thinking of going on Fri.. Still clueless what to buy for baby.. Really clueless.. :p

SHJEAN-My water discharge wet my panty liner and panty and even flow abit out but only happen once.My gynae said it will be fine after my infection had cleared.

Twink-I just msg my girlfriend who is a hair stylist,she said cannot rebond in the 1st tri but after that is fine.She also did her hair when she pregnant.Now im almost in my 3rd tri,its ok to do rebonding but tell the stylist try not to touch the roots.

MY legs still the same,no swollen.Think we should execise more often or at least try to walk more.I do stretching evercise at home too as i can feel aches here and there.I still remain to swim every week.After swimming i will go jaguzzi for about 10mins but i heard its not good for preggy so no more jaguzzi for me.Actually i only put on weight on my tummy and thigh,maybe in the 3rd tri i will really start to be out of shape.

I dun tink my leg is swollen yet, but I keep having leg cramps on-off lately. The leg cramps sometimes can be so painful that I just can't help but scream aloud. Got once, had an episode that I scream aloud, my husband jumped up in the night and panic, and ask me what's wrong?

shjean

Only that brand to recommend? What about Buschen? Saw some promotion at Isetan baby fair on that brand. I also shortlist Fancl baby shampoo and soap, cos like no preservatives. But haven't heard if its really good for baby's tender skin and hair.

This Friday I going to see my gynae, wanna ask if I need to get a doc's letter if I wanna take my maternity leave earlier, cos govt board like state that only can take 1 month before the EDD. So do I need a doc's letter to certify my EDD?

rebonding

I think if we still can "tahan", better not do any of these treatment except hair cut. maybe I am too timid.hehe. Coz no matter what those treatment surely contain chemicals and of coz hair salon will always say it is safe.

newborn baby shampoo

My friend introduced me Mustala new born baby hair foam. It is specially for new born baby. you can get it in some of the Watsons outlet, Kiddy palace, Utiliy, baby fair etc.

But I am also waiting for those experious mummies' recommendation on other brands as Mustala is quite ex.

Hi Ptsmallbear,

Wah! Fancl baby shampoo must be expensive [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Morning mummies!

Had been feeling quite restless lately...din reali sleep well and hv still hv to take care of #1..

Baby shampoo

I used J&J for my #1 but he's sensitive to the shampoo, got rashes in the end i switch to kodomo (green color bottle), used it till now and not that expensive. Anyway, u dont need to use alot shampoo for new born, they smell nice even u dont bath them... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Morning, thank u.

Janice, my legs start to swell a few weeks back. Shoes are getting tight. Checking with my friends and they mention depend on individual ppl. Nowadays, i sleep by putting 2 pillows for legs and ask my hubby to massage at night.

frien recommend me J&J. Think i need to get the small bottle first. Didnt know it will be sensitive for baby.

Hi Berrypie,

How about shower gel? which brand and model did u use?

If seems sometimes it depends on individual babies. Maybe we should buy 1 or 2 bottles first and try just in case our bb cannot use it.

Morning everybody,

Mustella brand is not bad but is very exp. For long term really can burn a hole.

I guess it all depends on how much we can afford. I find JJ (head to toe) is good as it is not harsh for bb and also it is head to toe shampoo cum body wash makes the shower easier. chop chop within 5minutes settled.

As for baby lotion, can use the JJ milk, the smell is very nice too. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Back