(2011/10) Oct 2011

Hi Fritt,

I think the comments here are meant to be a way for mummies undergoing confinement to let off some steam from the stress. Not to complain or in anyway mean that they dun appreciate their mums or mil.

In the end, its a personal choice on how you want to do it. Mummies here just lend a "listening" ear and supportive "shoulder" to those in need [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

We just dun want to follow these rules blindly..different dialect grps has their own diff ways of doing confinement. I m a hokkien..my tradition is can eat chicken..but my MIL being Teochew..says no chicken? So how? who do we heed advice then? It's not about putting up a show or not..those people who never did full mth or strict confinements..did they suffer any health issue? Well, my sister didn't...All I am saying is..just do the neccessary in the confinement period will do... No strict and hard rules abt it. Just believe whatever you believe and you will be ok...Those who want to bath, wash hair, eat chicken, wear sleeveless..go ahead..those who choose not to bath, so be it....

Royal & mummyfaith: i fully agree with you, it is a personal preference... not trying to 'hurt' any dialect or wat......

Royal

my family n MIL also hokkien leh but dunno y my mum didnt heard of this but my MIL say cant.. anyway ya i agree sometimes it's really personal preference n beliefs.. jus like wedding same things also la [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

i also wonder those who didnt follow confinement rules did they suffer any prob at later stage.. if not i also lazy (cant be bothered to follow) but sometimes it's really indiv as in person A n B have e same practice but person A seems ok n person B seems to suffer so agn it's diff la...

ya agree, its personal preference. on the other hand, its also in the genes already. like how some ppl period come like nothing at all one, can play sports and drink cold water. then other ppl hurt until curl up in bed cant even move, eat painkiller also cant work.

mummyfaith: on ur qn about washing dishes and hands - i will wear gloves if the things need to use tap water, eg the milk bottles etc. for washing hands, i will use the herb water tt is boiled for bathing one. got use hand soap as per normal. same for washing face. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Libra_bb (piglit21) : congrats!!! take care and rest well [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Hi

Slept so early tonite and end up wake up around midnite, now I can fall asleep ....

Last check up on 30th sept, gynae say bb still not engage. I am still on waiting games . I am now week 36+ , hopefully I can pop next week.

Who else is still waiting to pop ? While it seem like most mummy are already deliver already, as you guys are discussing abt confinement

heya creamdonut.. im comin to my 38th week,supposed to see gynae today but skipped check up to save money.will only meet gynae in my 39th week to scan the water level. i dont have contractions or what not to gimme hints of labour.. so im checkng for mucus plug or pink discharges everyday.

thanks mummies for the labour stories.kinda gives me an idea what to expect! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

ive just quit my contract job coz its too desk bounded for me coz i was told to walk often but im having difficulty to walk already.how leyy? squat on the spot isit? does ballet stretching helps too? u know those leg stretches where you rest on the bar n bend ur body to the side... -pouts-

On induction in hospital and waiting anxiously. Dun noe what time BB want to meet up.

Thanks for sharing your labour story and confinement exp.

update us Candy!!all the best... omg.. must be thrilling man... shesshh.. now i have butterfly in ma stomach! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Hello gilera n all mummies,

I gave birth on Monday morning n will discharge tmrw. Didn't ck in here becos bb is sick. He is not doing well n have to undergo many tests. Tmrw also cannot ck out. I m in terrible pain both physically n emotionally. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Now trying to figure out how to breastfeed him after I ck out but he stays in hospital. No bb to bring home. Very sad.

Would appreciate any advice on tis part becos the nurses told me even pump also no milk. Ask me allow formula feed. Pump jus to simulate until bb can go home.

Take care everyone. Will log in here when things settle down.

Hi Pofy

Take care and for now, trust the hosPital n medic staff. Im sure yr baby will be fine.

How about you express out the milk n freeZe it fr now as this can keep for two mths in freeZer? Did u ask why hospital don't allow u to give breastmill for now?

mummychanel,

I m also in 36+wks and waiting. Been getting cramps n tightening which I m not sure if its contractions since Friday. I hope can deliver bb soon cos quite uncomfy now and dun dare go to work today.

Pofy

Hope ur bb gets well soon.. any doubts jus approach e medical staff and u've to stimulate for more EBM..

Jojobar & mummyfaith

im at 37+wk now also waiting time.. having cramps last wk and ytd morn but nthg intensive.. im also not sure is this consider braxton hicks.. gg chk up this fri.. v worry abt bb's health also.. hope he'll devlope well..

pofy & winnie

from wat i noe even if got colostrum also diff to pump cos tat is not as flowy as milk as in it's thicker so better for bb to suck instead of pump.. but nontheless no harm try to pump n stimulate it as often as possible - pump is not as gd as bb suck..

Hi pofy,

Just to share in my previous experience. I check out before the baby as he had severe jaundice. As he need to drink due to juandice, the pd recommend feed on glucose water amf formula. They actually font need a lot.... While I keep pumping and expressing at home. During my couple of days stay in hospital and at home, nothing much come out. But the nurses keep encourage me to keep persist on pumping.

Understand the feeling of going home without bb, you feel terrible but rem is just temporary. Relax and stay happy then the milk flow is here. Do u have a pump already ? If not maybe rent from hospital first ?

Hi mummy faith & geekypig,

We are around the same stage of pregnancy ..... It is really quite uncomfy to move around with the big tummy. My next check up is on 10th oct, hopefully by then the baby already engage. It is really waiting game now [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

I started my maternity leave yesterday, I really don't want to spend my maternity leave waiting... I want to spend as much time with the newborn b4 return back to work.

Mummies, regarding confinement rules... I was the naughty girl previouksy, I bath and wash my hair in the hospital after I deliver. I drink cold orange juice as I was running fever after I deliver. I had no cl previously and my mum cook for me. So I literarily break all rules stated [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif].... According to some of my old school thinking friends and relatives, this round is to redeem myself to follow the rules so that I will not suffer pain in old age.... I will have to see how much I can follow but for me not bathing and wash hair is no no for me.

Pofy, try to pump every 2 hrs even there is no milk. You will be surprise when the supply starts to kick in. This is the best time to build up the supply and rest. And after which u can get ur husband to deliver the milk to hospital for your baby.

Pofy,

Congrats on your bundle of joy..Not to worry, everything will be just fine. Just keep on being positive.

As for the first few days pump, usually amt is not alot, few ml was what I had on the 1st and 2nd day. Worse, I hv short nipples which made it hard for my gal to latch on..and when she did, after few suckle, she fell asleep. So, I did what the KKH nurse advice: Hand express and collect the precious droplets of colostrum into Syringes and give it to them to feed the bb. At the same time, I also give FM.Though BB can survive only on colostrum at the first few days..I Kiasu..agreed to give FM to feed her at the same time while I establish my milk supply.

Today is day 5 liao, my supply is still very little..about only 10-15 ml per pump on both boobs. But together with FM, I am sure, my bb is growing well too. As of now, she is on 45ml of FM per feed plus whatever I can pump everyday..I try let her latch on , after that, I will continue to Pump using breastpump and keep the milk for the next feeding. Very little..but better than nothing..

Oh Yes, Do plenty of Massages on the brest..It helps. I did and my milk flow did increase.

Must be relax too..else it wont help.

hmm in that case can i pump before i give birth? does it work that way? or only after baby is born, supply of milk comes 3-4 days later?

Pofy,

About the FM feeding, you can try doing it via Cup feed..As the hosp for some small cups (they should know if you mention it for cup feeding)..prepare the FM and pour small amt onto cup and feed your bb via the cups. The reasons according to KKH nurse for such method is so that the bb will not refuse your nipples when he can latch on..cos normal mlik bottle, the teats are softer and easier for milk to flow.. FYI, I am still using cup feed at home now..

Hi mummies-to-be!

I have For Sale: 6months preloved Medela Pump In Style Advanced (PISA) & Breastmilk Storage Bottles.

Locally bought US complete set with local power plug. See photo for included accessories. Full Set Photo

Bought for S$599 on 24/02/2011. Receipt Photo

Used for 6months, warranty for another 6months.

Selling $380, or $390 with the storage bottles shown below.

Also for sale: Medela Breastmilk Freezing & Storage Bottles. 12 x 80ml BPA-free bottles with lid.

Bought for S$40, selling $20. Storage Bottles Photo

Interested parties, please leave PM or SMS @ 987 six one 872.

Thanks for viewing!

EBM

i attended this bf course, according to e lactation nurse-e 1 who's conducting e course, she mentioned that 1st few days bb would jus live wif colostrum n tat's alr enough for them as their stomach is still small but they need to be fed frequently or on demand. so we tahan a bit not to feed them wif FM as they'll be used to e teats n will refuse to latch on later..

Pofy

u may wanna consult e lactation nurse over there or can try Royal's method of cup feeding.

Jojobar

My collg jus commented tat my tummy is lower tdy.. so i was thinking maybe chk up this fri gynae will tell me to admit by next wk alr... which happen to my fren, else if nthg happen then i'll only start my maternity e following wk-which i'll be almost due in a few days time alr, unless bb's late...

hello mummies!

Laila, thanks for asking [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] finally i'd a chance to laze around… settling well in a routine since last Fri discharge… as expected bb jaundice is high now on home phototherapy to get rid of the excess bilirubin. A lot of green poo came out thank God! Me slowly building up bm supply cos bb's consistent on 20-40ml fm almost every 4 hours so i latch in between, down lots lots of fluid and rest rest rest!!!

Congrats Libra_bb! You must rest well, as much as you can!

Candy Floss, it's gonna be your turn soon! Jiayou jiayou and hope you have a quick and easy labour! Share birth story yeah?

pofy, pls at least try to not think any negative thots. Our bbs can sense it. my bb pd also said my bb got 5 sets of problems in the end 4 are unfounded. the remaining one has to wait till he's 1yo. i'm staying strong for my bb, let's jiayou together!

how come got no milk? 1st 3-4 days is colostrum that one is important cos can keep bb safe from illness for 1st 6 mths. agree with the rest. pump to stimulate supply every 2-3 hours, there are some tablets for you to kickstart your milk supply. it's ok to give fm. don't stress over no milk. upset and stress will not help your body produce milk. hope you update here often. concerned for you...

pofy, maybe u can accumulate your colostrum and you or ur hubby can bring to bb every evening or night..meanwhile, for day feeding..use fm at hosp. In this way, not so taxing for you..keep your colostrum in syringes n fridge, then bring then made warm for bb.

i read that for some preggers, during the last few weeks of the pregnancy they might have colostrum or milk (??) leaking from their nipples.

I am currently in my 37th week and i have no milk leaking..

does that mean, i will have no breastmilk??

No, it doesn't mean that. Breastmilk will kick in within 6 hrs or by 1 or 2 days after you give birth, depending on how "hardworking" you are in pumping/bf. I would suggest you continue to pump 5 to 10 mins even after the latch on to ensure ur breast is totally emptied after every feeding. It also doesn't mean small breast no milk and big breast will produce a lot of milk. It all depends on demand = supply. You have to religiously empty your breast to make your body thinks that it needs to keep producing milk. Remember, the first few weeks are very important to build up the supply. BF, pump, massage, drink and rest well.

Very importantly, drink lots of fluid, especially before and/or while bf/pumping, e.g. hot milo/horlicks/milk/red dates tea.

hoppy, i didn't have milk leaking out from boobies but managed to squeeze out droplets of milk during the middle of 3rd tri. i think those who have milk leaking will have lots of milk supply for their bbs. mine full milk came out on day 4. most likely you'll experience the same thing.

Hi Fritt, Winnie and Luv,

thank you so much for your advise and your experiences. I will remember to pump and also demand = supply [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

winnie, have any signs of labour? i'm still waiitng and looking out for signs but nothing yet !! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

hoppy

just relax lah.

me still working.

both mine kids are born on 38wks so maybe next wk. will deliver in gleneagle n doing the admission booking only this friday.

whoa, you are good and strong ! I stopped work already as I find it quite difficult to walk and feel tired easily!

I"m also delivering at Glens too! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Oh it could be, time the interval. Even if it is irregular but getting more and more frequent give you gynae a call.

So exciting ! I hope my turn soon [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Yes. My previous one also nothing like discharge or water bag burst... Just closer irregular contraction. End up that is it and I deliver at week 36+

hi all

BB was diagnosed with Jaundice was admitted again this evening..see liao heartpain.. his level was quite high cos my blood type & his blood type is different.

Congrats to all mummies..

no milk yet..sigh.. & he love to latch on. tongue always come out..i hope i can supply to him really soon.

do u mummies wake ur babies up to feed them? 3 hrly?

Back