(2011/05) May 2011

Just finished wrapping Teacher's Day gifts for my no.1's teachers. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Jenny: Thanks for your kind words. I can’t set my mind at peace as bb is mostly awake during day and needs to on the auto rocker. Even I carry and pat him to sleep he also don’t want. My plan is to let bb has 1-2 weeks with nanny first but my mil choses to visit and stay with us only at my last week of leave and that’s why my hb refused to start bb with nanny any earlier. I can understand why you need to on the rocker too…. Is your boy better today?

Deon: Glad to know bb will grow out of it when older. Things will definitely improve over time. Maid has to be supervised especially in caring for bb. I just reprimanded my maid yesterday for rocking my bb too hard until the rocker was creaking with noise. Scared of rocking syndrome.

Split: that’s very good still got increment. Good that you made the move.

Mummies – what is the size of teats you using? I am still using 1-2 holes ones but thinking to progress to 3 holes.

Mummies with Indo maids

How does your maid spend her Hari Raya ? I gave her off but she declined leh. Planned to give her angbao and a brooch for her headscarf.

Little Fly: I'm giving my BB with 2 holes (Avent number 2). I tried number 3 when my bb was 3 months but the flow seems too fast. Now im still sticking it to number 2 till end of the month, when my bb reaches 4th month. I will try number 3 again.

Luann/Little Fly: Thanks. Luckily baby didn't develop fever but still crying a lot. His flu came back again! And he's also not sleeping so much now, these few days he wakes up at 11am n dun wan to go back to slp anymore.

Little Fly: I just bought avent 3mths teat n used for my baby n he can accept that. But I'm alternating between NUK n Avent. NUK is still 0-6 mths.

cloud: How's ur children? Recovered?

Btw mummies, any idea if I could introduce food before 4 mths? My baby seems to be very interested when I'm eating now and he just turned 14 weeks.

Hello mummies,

Need some advice from those who have maids. My mynamar maid is here for 3 weeks already and she is very forgetful, housework still not that good. We just tell her off on Sunday as that day dun know wat happen, she just cannot work, everything ask her to do, she did wrong. Then for the past 2 days, her performance is good, no major hiccups. She finished the housework i assigned to her for the past 2 days but i kinda suspect if she really did it. Like i ask her to clean the baby drawer, take out all the clothes and wipe. She say she did and i spot check, i suspect she did not as the clothes did not seem being moved, but the drawer seems clean.

Actually on Sunday we already called the agent to request for a replacement as we cannot tahan her forgetful-ness and she is very slow in doing housework. Then these 2 days seems ok. I am thinking if i should retain her or get a replacement. I also kinda suspect if she truthfully did her housework.

Jenny: think its a bit early to introduce food before 4 month. Afraid might have food allergy. What food do you intend to give? I think all labels will tell you to introduce after 6 months. But im thinking of introducing semi solid food (rice cereal) to mix with EBM at week 18.

2ww, I intend to give apple. I bought the Avent steamer n blender n there's some recipes for 4 mths.

bbpooh: I wanted to start at 4 mths but baby seems to wan to eat. So still not very sure.

Jenny,

If at 4 mths, should be ok but personally i feel 6 mths better. Heee, ur bb tiam chak ar? My bb nowadays keep want to suck her fist, everytime her mittens all wet.

Cloud: yes still on mc.. Given e whole of this wk n next mon I gg back to nuh eye clinc to review again.. Cos I noticed blur vision somehw thou gp checked n said my cornea is cleared, so mayb is caused due to swelling n discharge still.. Cross fingers... I hv used up all my ML last wk n tis wk is pure mc. I dun care.. :p furthermore, nw my #1 n Bb got it too.. Worse stll, my Bb is aso having flu n cough nw.. Sigh.. Poor boy

bbpooh: Mine too. I only put on his mittens at nite and in less than one min his mittens all wet. But he prefers to eat his fingers than his mittens. Yest I eat food he kept staring at me then he cried. Both lunch n dinner also like that. Maybe I just try a little this Sun, if cannot then try again next mth.

Little Fly - Ya lor maid has to be supervised. Sometimes too much supervision is required. I have told her not to keep rocking my bb but it is not happening..

Have to talk to her slowly, she just here for about 3 weeks. Need to give her some time to adjust lah

Bbpooh, my new myanmar maid also like urs when she first came. Make me so angry till send her back to agent for counselling....after tt seems beta nw she almost 5mth work getting beta liow. Mayb u gif ur maid a lil more time n make her write dwn or repeat after u e task u assign

Jenny my ger onli 12wks alrdy keep staring at me when i eat n keep moving her mouth haha

Hi Pooh - My helper is here almost the same time as yours.

For mine I gave her a daily schedule for housework and I check on her when I am home. But I got tell her that lokking after bb is her main duty so if she is unable to complete any housework, she has to let us know.

Maybe she miss home, did you let her make a call back since she arrived ? I let mine made a call back to tell her family that she has arrived safely.

Luann Mummy & Deon,

Actually when she is a week old, the agent already come and talk to her already. Then she kinda ok for that few days then after that back to the same. Also she is not very clean, which I repeated to her almost everyday that bb things need to be clean and hygienic.

I ask her to write down when I teach her but she write already never read, even read, cannot remember. Then when we talk to her, sometimes she will be in her own thoughts, dun really concentrate or hear what we say.

BTW, ur maids also very slow in doing things? I also make it a point that she must greet us in the morning and at night when we come home, but she always need to think then call us.

Deon,

Ya, I also emphasized to her that bb is important so she have to take good care of bb like if she cry, need to attend to her first then housework if cannot finish let me know. But sometimes when bb cry she still no action like tat, only after a while then she react. I oso did a timetable for her. She can blur on certain days, dun noe what to do then ask me. I will tell her to look at the paper. Those that she do everyday still can forget one leh….

Jenny: Poor bb. Maybe check if he got block nose or mucus stuck inside? I tried migrating him from yaolan to cot just now but he was so cross with me. Think your bb will have good appetite next time! My niece also like that and her appetite is fantastic. My no.1 on the contrary is a pain to feed previously until I got him enrolled in IFC. For bb, please don’t start any food earlier than 4mths.

Jenny, 2ww, Viman, bbpooh: Thanks. I am also using avent 2 holes now. My bb also like to suck his fingers so I just removed his mittens.

Bbpooh: Yes, mine also very slow and likes to be in a daze. She got task list for daily chores, weekly cleaning chores and monthly ones. She took about 1-2 months to settle in. Will you be leaving bb totally in her care when you return work?

I gave up on asking her to greet. She even can black-face me sometimes when I tell her off. She is also so damned talkative. She’ll chat up anyone who pays her any attention. It is ok she chats with my neighbours but I worry when I return work and leave her alone at home and she may get up to some mischief. Just now asked me if gold necklace in Singapore expensive or not and if she can buy with her one month salary. Wah piang, makes me worry that I must lock my jewelry well.

Littlefly,

I’m already back to work and she is alone with bb at home. My hubby now spot check her during lunch time as his office is nearby my place.

My maid dun really talk much but she like to mumble so sometimes she talk to me I oso dun know, so I tell her if wan to talk to us need to call us first. She dun really give black face but when we tell her off she always pre-occupied with her own thoughts so in the end nothing went in like tat so angry. So I make her repeat what I tell her.

My hubby say wan to see her performance this week, if still no improvement then I think we will change…

Little Fly: He got blocked nose and quite loud. U transferred ur baby when he's sleeping? I decided to only start on baby cereal when he's 4 mths.

My baby was crying and screaming his lungs out just now coz of his gums. He chewed n chewed his fingers then started screaming nonstop. I'm asking my husband to get the teething gel tmr. Hopefully can stop his pain.

Deon: i also intend to leave my baby with my maid but she been requesting this and that and way too smart and chao keng. in the end i never install cctv. my mum been spotting check everyday at different time and my mum is cooking dinner for us, she clean up. but she really had a way with my boy. my boy is so sticky to her. my boy loves my maid carrying, and not us, even my mum lo. so sad. but as long as she is nice to my boy, i dun really bother much.

but i notice she had been slacking a lot like never clean up stove after dinner and i qn her she told me she always clean up in the morning. that is a big lie. she is just plain lazy that wanna rest after i come home. even coffee table dun wipe now till i ask her to come over and show her the cups stain. but all along i talk to her nicely and never qn or scold her.

side note: she is happily sleeping n eating in my house till she grow so significant fat! i told her go weight on my weighting machine she was so shy n laugh n refused to weight. one of her t shirt burst and most of her t shirt that she bring over are too tight! after she came, my groceries bills shoot super high and she is eating a lot more than us. double of my intake and she is smart to take more meat. i make a mistake by not taking her share out first as i feel there is no need to do so. but i am wrong, she will always scoop out her fav food in large portion and left a little for me and my hubby. if she is still so selfish in a while, i will tell her off in a joking manner that sirs dun have food to eat coz u finish all his.

to rant: a few days ago, my maid took her second helping of rice without asking is if we need it. (she took her meals in the kitchen). in the end my hubby do not have his second helping as my maid finish all. i heard she was scooping and told my hubby to ke siao (act act) walk to the cooker and open the cooker and make a wow sound and shout from the kitchen out to ask me why no more rice? the next day, she cook more rice and take less food. hahaha.with maid, we really got to play mind games as per taught by my good friend.

she has been here for 5 weeks. know my boy schedule and pattern already. and loves to cut my boy fingernails which she is gd at , but i am lousy. so will be keeping her now. if she request stuffs again, i will brainwash her coz i don't feel like changing her anymore.

Kristie - Smart maid gives us headache but if we get a slow one, we need to spend a lot time to teach them. So I guess it is not any easier both ways [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

It is good that your bb likes the maid. At least you know she can handle the bb on her own. For mine, she still cannot and I don't dare to leave her alone with bb yet.

Mine is quite smart also and english is real good. She worked in Malaysia before so knows Chinese which makes communication with my mum much easier. That is why I am trying not to give her up.. Giving coaching lessons, just had one with her earlier.

About the dinner thing, I used to scoop up and leave a portion for her. But she told me since we are not taking pork then we can just leave the food in the dishes for her.

We just need to keep educating them lor.. When mine first came, she use water like it is free.. Then my mum talked to her, she did improved slightly after that.

Like you, I also do not want to change maid as it is very disruptive. Will continue to educate, monitor and coach her..

Jenny: Aiyo, poor bb. Sometimes my bb cries due to blocked nose. You can get the saline solution or nose spray to wet the mucus and bb can sneeze out easier. Even adults like us find it uncomfortable when we get blocked nose.

Bbpooh: perhaps you can ask maid to write down the feeding times so at least you can check. Either your maid is slow to react or cannot be bothered type or she think you are there so she wait for you. If you change a new maid, is there someone to orientate the maid initially? It would take some time again to observe if new maid is better or worse off.

Kristle: Is your maid experienced one? She definitely sounds very street-smart. As for food, we scoop out her share but she took like 2.5 bowls of rice! She piled on so much weight during these 5mths that she’s complaining her pants and tops are too tight. If left unchecked, she cooks only the food she fancies and left the rest to rot. In any case so long she takes good care of my bb when we need her, I can close one eye.

bbpooh, if u need a contact on cctv, I have a reliable source. I have been using them for past 4yrs..I like their after sales service. That's very important to me..hehe

Deon,

Thanks.

Littlefly,

If I get the replacement, I will need to take abt a week’s leave to train her lo, not able to get help as both side’s parents are working. Good thing is that my hubby can go home during his lunch time to spot check. Ya, change oso dun know for the better or for the worse, think can only pray hard!

Yest, my MIL not working so my hubby got her to go up my place to monitor the maid, then she bought bread for her and give her chocolate to eat. Then my maid forgot to throw away the plastic bag, leave in her room. When I was taking bb clothes then I saw and ask then she tell me my MIL give her to eat. Yest, her housework a lot not done, when I ask her then she tell me she headache since morning. Then I question why she never tell me or MIL she say only a little pain. Then I tell her that she headache, could be very heaty in body, MIL give her chocolate she still eat. Ask her if she drink water, she say at night drink. Wa biang… My hubby tell my MIL off as already tell her earlier don’t spoil her as we will give her things if she work well, then if she anyhow eat sick then how, we are the ones who suffer again.

For meals, for the first week my maid eat very little, lunch only take ½ packet of instant noodles, now definitely eat more. I make it a point to ask her take her plate and put on the table after setting the food then I will scoop the dishes for her before we eat then any leftover she can take as well. Rice she only take a bowl.

Apple,

Can u send me the contact? Thanks!

bbpooh, set a rule - no food allow in the room or any other area except dining & kitchen. If not, later u might have the risk of ants running around the hse and bitten bb later on.

I'll PM u the cctv contact.

Apple,

Thanks.

Ya lor, i forgot about this rule. But din expect my MIL to give her food in the room as she is doing ironing at that time. Then the best thing is my MIL still can say just wipe the ants away can already. Haiz….

Bbpooh: I agree with Deon, need to keep educating them. My smart maid heard from my CL that my mil n hb sister not easy to please especially with food. They are coming to stay with us thus week n she asked me to tell my mil that she can't cook. I rebuked my maid saying that my mil would question I hire this maid for what. she persisted to say I hire her for cleaning only. I tell her my mil would tell me to send her back then she kept quiet.

I am not against treating them well n rewarding but oftentimes I find smart ones will cut corners n take advantage when we let our guard down. My mum also spoils market by rushing to do everything herself when she's around.

I think u are right to tell ur maid off no food in the room. Food scraps invite roaches n what nots. She is no child n should learn to take care of herself. I made my new maid foot her dental bill partially coz she got whole mouth rotten teeth still everyday snacks. Dentist told her not to let het feed my young children coz scared of passing germs.

Smart ones can be helpful but difficult to manage as they have a mind of their own. I am having diarrhea for 2 weeks and she still wants to cook curry. I tell her off again coz its not as if I deny her curry or spicy food. I gave her fave curry instant mees n mee siam but she still tries to stretch it. My CL told me everytime I tell my maid off she puts up an ok face but will vent it on my utensils, my furniture n other stuff.

I think once I start I go rant n rant. Better stop here.

Kristle: Ur maid so power. Can take all the food she wans even before you all. U shld really take a potion for her and just give her that with no second helpings.

Little Fly: I gave him the flu medicine n spray. I think his crying is more of teething. Yest after midnight still crying. When I carry him he wans my breast n I bf him a couple of min n he fell asleep. I think u can go to fairprice.com.sg got prices there but not sure if the promo on site is same as in store.

Dear mummies, my baby is close to 4months old. He's drinking about 120 to 150ml of ebm every 4 to 5 hours... It seems very little... Anyone in the same situation? Worried that he can't grow well... Please advice... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Lil fly, i'll give my indo maid ang bao.. I don't give her any off day.

bbpooh, my maid still greets us in the morning and before going to bed..

kristle, you got to scope out her shares of dishes for her... that's what i did for my 1st & 2nd maid.. but my 1st maid was smart, she'll see what we are having for dinner.. if there's fish & meat, she'll cook about 3 cups of rice and there's only 4 adults include her.. hence, 10kg of rice finish very quickly... so if we are having steamed egg/omelette & veg, she'll cooked maggie mee... she's with us for two months and she has put on so much weight le.. complain to the agent about her and told me that coz they can't afford rice @ their hometown.. so the moment they saw rice here, it's like seeing "gold"..

agree with lil fly, that smart maids are real difficult to handle, unless we are able to outsmart them...

dolly: u all eat so little? We have to cook 2.5 cup of rice with only my husband n me. I dun eat a lot but my husband can. But ur maid is really clever, cook more rice so that she can have more. LOL

Any mummies know where to buy cheaper pampers active? The luvbabies at jurong my husband cun find pampers there n the website I cun get $200 for free shipping.

Jenny - Our house will take only about 1.5 cups of rice with my hubby around. If it is just me mum and me, we only cook slightly more than half a cup of rice... ha ha ha

Is your bb better ?

Little Fly - My workplace have NTUC, I check if got promotion then I let you know.

By the way any mummies feeding bb with enfalac A+ ? I am able to get a cheaper rate about $40 a can, anyone interested ? I am going to place my order next week.

Deon: Half a cup so little? Last time I used to cook 3 cups n we have to eat ALOT to finish. Today he's in a better mood, only start crying in the evening. Better than crying throughout the whole day.

Jenny - Glood to hear that your bb is getting better..

My girl also starts to throw tantrums, she needs to continue till her next review (which is nect month). She needs to take medicine before feeding then she get angry and will start crying. She even refuse to drink her milk after that.. Ai yo headache..

Rice - ya lor.. last time no helper, we do not even cook at home and the rice will be kept till turned mouldy.. So wasteful.. Now at least got helper then started cooking..

Ya lo. Mine first week maggie mee, now rice for every meals, bread for breakfast n tea break. I make her to finish the big tin for biscuilt tgat i buy specially for her for tea break and i did see she listen to me though she tell me she dont like biscuit.

My maid is fresh maid but had cousins in sg as maid now. I do not allow her to contact them as first week she is here already keep requesting this n that which is obvious she was taught before she came. So all if you are like me first timer getting a maid, housr rules is a must, a time table for her to follow though they follow 60% better than nothing, no communication to local calls except their calling cards to call back. The only reward if she is good, will only buy her calling cards or some of her fav foods just for her. The rest no no man. Been lack with her the first day so i suffer, then i complain abt her in front of my friends and she sort of know i wanna send her back so she buck up. Must play mental games with them.

Re: milk

My hubby saw friso in jb selling half price, he bought 2 tins back and my son is ok with it. But the tin state for up to 12 mth unlike sg version is up to 6 mth. Anyone know why?

Sorrie to disturb.

I've a tin of Enfalac (900g) to let go at $38 as my boy move on to stage 2. Exp date is Jan 2013.

PM me if interested.

Morning all,

Today's a wet and lazy morning.

Decided that we will change maid. Since quite unhappy with her performance, rather than we 'ren' and grumble amongst ourselves, think it is better to change. Will go agency tmr.

jenny, ya.. we only cook 1 1/4 cup of rice for 3 adults w/o helper..

bbpooh, last time i was like you too.. tried to tolerate our previous maid's nonsense and grumble.. worst still, i can't even sleep coz of her.. then my ex-colleagues advise me to change her due to her attitude.. no reason for us to pay her salary & have to bear with her nonsense... so after we change the maid, we felt so much better.. we only have to go thru of re-train the new/fresh maid.. after 6 mths, she's graduate from her intensive training... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Min10: My bb 3.5mths only drink 120ml max. Usually only 110ml or less. So long your bb weight gain is in the normal range, I think should be ok bah…

Dolly: She requested for off day so I give but now she say don’t want. My neighbor maid and her friends scolded her silly as they originally planned to bring her out from 8am to 10pm that day. I leave it to her in case she changes her mind again. Haha, I agree, 10kg of rice finish v fast. We cook ½ cup more just for her.

Deon: Thanks. I went to buy huggies ultra yesterday coz supplies low. Now selling 17.45 for 66 pieces. Usual price is 19.20.

Kristle: Smart move! I also kept emphasizing I got first 6months FREE replacement when my maid just came and request this and that. It is also a learning process for us to manage our maids. I am glad to have advises from my friends and colleagues from their past experiences.

Bbpooh: good luck on your new maid search!

Back