(2011/01) Jan 2011

Miaiko, me also using the transparent type.

err.. may i also know if leakage only happen when bb suck the teats or if it also happen when u tilt the bottle? what type of teats u used?is it those with numbering or the type with bars?

sorry i got many questions abt the leakage long ago. but me keen to find out how it happen :$

Miaiko,

hv to be quite careful when closing avent bottles, is not like other bottles where u hv to screw tight. in fact u just turn until u feel a bit of resistance can already.

mine so far no probs, when the teat needs changing then start to leak abit, once change teat ok already.

talking abt leaking bottles my experience with nuk is worse, really open and close few times before can get a good fit and no leak.

babykoh,

u can buy all those fish oils that i mentioned in my earlier post at SGH without prescription. But they dun ve Triplus. I think the doc dun wnat to give prescription for us to buy outside since we not buying from him. Not very ethical of a doctor i think, since patients have a right to choose where they buy the medicine from.

Daphane, pls update us if kkh have the Triplus so that we can buy from there if possible. Many thks!

hi little pigpig

ya i tot of buying the one with Triplus cos take the same wz wat dr prescript will be better ma.

yah loh i kinda argue with the nurse cos there is a signage saying patients can choose to buy their medication outside n can ask for a presciption without additional charges.

Did you ask for the presciption b4?

littlepigpig, no prob. I will let u know next week when I go KKH to buy. If they hv & can sell off the rack, maybe next time u can tell yr gynae u dun need the fish oil, then u can buy outside.

Ting, I am also using the avent bottles for my #1. So far no leakage prob. At the taka fair, I trade-in 2 old ones for the new 3rd generation bottles. Btw, the sealing disc u talking about is it the white rubber ones? I happen to see it at the taka fair also and bought also as I dun remember seeing it elsewhere.

Daphne,

How much did you bought the sealing disc? How many pcs?

It's hard to find outside, the only ones i saw is in a package form with 10 pcs lids, 10 pcs storage bottle and 2 sealing disc for about $30. the sealing disc is to connect the storage bottle with the avent pump so you do not need to use milk bottles and pour it into storage.

Daphne, u mean can trade in old avent bottle with new avent bottle? :-O

i m thinking maybe i shud buy the bottles during the taka fair and quickly test for leakage. if got problem, i go back and do a exchange :-/

ya. the white sealing disc for avent bottles. last time i search many places but can't find. but finally see it at mothercare causeway point. not sure how much i buy le. i thot for those MTB who going to use avent feeding system may need the sealing disc so suggest them to get from taka fair lor. if not later troublesome to get.

Hi, our_first_baby, I cannot remember the price & the quantity. Need to go back & check.

Ting, can u remember the price & quantity?

Ting, the price of the new 3rd generation bottles (yellowish one) is $19.90 each outside (260ml). If you buy at the taka fair, it is $15+. But if you trade in yr old bottles (any brand), u can get at $12.90. For the taka fair, they hv 20% off. The teats are a good steal, selling at $5+. I remember the seal is less than $10 and maybe about 5 inside?

As my fren is working at taka, using his staff card, I manage to get additional 10% off. So it's really a good buy for me.

i didn't pay attention on the price of the sealing disc at taka fair lei cos i no intention to buy. i think is half a dozen/pack.

oh ya. another source to get the disc is online. but i remember i calculated the freight charge and is not worth

Daphne, seems really a good buy for u.

i really wonder how much profit mark-up for each item is there lei :-/

with 20% discount liao taka still can give 10% off...

Ting, the avent btls will leak when my girl was drinking milk. leak from the neck not the teat. That time was using the numbered teats.

Grumpus, yeah.. we did like wat u said.. juz turn enuf to close it,but not too tightly else the teats will be difficult for bb to suckle on.

well.. perhaps batch by batch has different quality & standards.

ting:

i also used Avent bottles for my #1. However, I noticed that the bottles will turn yellow after many months of use... scratches inside too. Not sure how my helper wash them actually, maybe she scrub really hard.

Btw, you can use the same set for your bb for so long? I usually change the entire set in like 6 months or more.

Miaiko:

Will experience a little leak from Avent bottle at times but once I open to adjust it a little, it seems to work.

Daphne:

Sounds like you have got a good deal from the Taka Fair. When is that ending? I want to stock up too [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] Just ordered 3 sets of BPA Free 260ml @ $17/set fr BP. sob~

Bethel:

You can start buying some of the essential items a little at a time. Major Baby Fair may be a good time to check out good deals. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Babykoh, Luckymummy:

I am hoping for a girl too! I bet my pockets will be be full of holes if I get my wish. Not much clothes I can buy for my son now. When I step into children's clothes section, the boys section looks so boring compared to the girl's section. On the positive side, this helps to save $$ [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Ting:

Fish oil is mainly DHA for bb's brain development. My gynae starts me on this quite late when I'm pregnant with #1. Maybe about 5th months onwards or something. Remembered asking him for this when I'm still in 1st trimester for my #1 (1st time pregnant, more KS ma hee). He told me that there is no need to start this that early as bb is too young to absorb the nutrients. Don't waste money.

Miaiko:

Ya, leak from the neck. Suspect its due to the positioning of the airflow system for colic. You notice that there are 2 little holes on the seal?

babykoh,

I will only see the doc next wk so have not tried asking for the presciption before. but is there such a signage ouside saying we can buy from outside?

little pig pig, yes its on the left side of the counter when u sit down to wait you can see. It has the prices of all the services, its on the bottom, it says you can buy the supplements outside if you wish and get a prescription without additional charges

Check it out on your next visit

Morning Ladies,

Babykoh, why don't you tell the nurse or gynae that you have a relative who works in the hospital, so can get cheaper prices, but need a prescription to buy the fish oil?

misty, i tried all ways, the nurse say they don give prescription to those medi that they have, they only give those they do not carry, very lame right? and she told me you cant get this fish oil in other places

Dear all,

The sealing disc that is mentioned is only used for avent pump? So if I intend to get a medela breast pump I wouldn't need it? Or I buy a medela brand sealing disc?

There are so many things to spend money on! lol

Luckymummy:

Different brands have different sealing disc die to the size of bottles. Actually, I didn't buy sealing disc, only used those that are in the bundles that I bought. The rest, I either pour the bm into milk bag or put a cling over the bottle then cover it with the cover (as in the thing that you insert the teat into).

Hi luckymummy11, the sealing disc is for avent milk bottle and not any pump. we pump milk direct into avent milk bottle and store. the sealing disc is to be used in place of the feeding teats for storage.

avent got 2 type of storage solution. one is their VIA system and the other is to use the usual avent milk bottle with sealing disc.

If you want to use your medela pump (or any other brand pump) with any Avent storage system direct, you will have to invest on an adapter that convert the wide neck bottle to the standard size neck.

Hi jass, Miaiko, I consulted my technical support (my hubby) on the bottle leakage problem. he said it could be due to teats not properly installed or deformed teats. the avent teats are designed with gap for air flow for the colic things. so deformed teats will cause leakage and not the bottle. teats sold at departmental stores usually come with a plastic protecter to prevent it from deform during delivery. so he analys that deform of teats could be due to teats not properly placed when sterilizing or other means which caused it to change shape.

Above are all my hubby analysis based on his observation. he is not any representative from avent. neither am i. i thot what he said is quite logical so would like to share with you all. up to you to believe or not lor ;)

babykoh, you want to consider asking a GP for the prescription? approach a GP whom you frequent. i thot maybe easier ;)

i wanna make sure KKH hv the triplus first before i go ask for prescription hee hee

Maybe find one day free go down n have a loook

Hi our_first_baby, the sealing disc selling at taka fair is $8.70 for 6 pcs.

I'm used to avent bottles and pump. Therefore, if I need to change brands, think I will be in a lost. Anyway, I'm quite happy with it as so far, I did not encounter much problems.

I only use the storage bags when I need to freeze the breast milk. Otherwise, watever I pump out, I will use avent bottles with the sealing disc and store in the fridge. Those in the fridge can kept up to 24 hrs.

Jass1408 n Ting,

Thanks for clarifying. So if I intend to use bags for storage then I wouldn't need the sealing disc cos it is for milk bottles only. Ahh.

Feedback from people I've asked seems to be that medela pumps are good, so I may buy that brand. But I can get avent bottles at a good price, so I may use avent bottles with medela pump, and random bottles with teats/sealing discs that came with the package. I will invest in the adapter that Ting suggests.

One more question, if I use mostly bags to store milk then I can fill up the bag directly from medela/avent pump?

luckymummy,

if u're planning to buy medela and u want to pump direct into milk bag then u need to buy the special pump and store bag. other brands of milk bag cannot pump direct.

otherwise, u need to pump into a bottle and then pour the milk from the bottle into a bag to store.

Daphne, any idea if i can trade in old 125ml size avent bolltle for the 260ml size type at the promotional price?

Hi,

Hv not posted for so long. Feel so tired easily and my gal falling sick pretty often lately.

Fish Oil - I taking nordic naturals, find it pretty good. Can get from sprees or iherb. Cost abt $35 for 1.5 mths supply. If buy from vitakids cost abt $60 for same bottle.

Breast Pump - Used the medela pump in style advance previously. Like this pump very much. I think if you are serious abt breastfeeding, should invest and buy a good electric dual pump, really helps to establish yr supply.

My bb's gender still not confirm but gynae say high chance of gal. Quite disappointed but definitely stopping at 2 regardless.

Does anyone know how often we can take chicken essence? I'm taking twice a week now, wonder if can take more often. And when can we start taking bird's nest?

sputnik,

no prob to take those bottled chicken essence daily esp if u're always tired.

bird's nest can start to take already, maybe once a wk or once every 2 wks.

Oh, we can take chicken essence?? think i better get some and drink also. always feeling tired.

btw anyone here know how to choose bird nest and cordyceps and where to find good offer?

anyone got receipe for the cordyceps?

luckymummy11, i think grumpus is referring to the medela pump and save breast bag. (see below link for the picture)

http://www.medela.com/ISBD/breastfeeding/products/pumpsavebags.php

hmm...actually if you intend to invest on the adapter, i thot it could be more practical to go for avent storage system lei. i am not sure if the medela pump and save bag is reusable. avent via storage system can reuse up to 5x.

btw the adapter is not easily available at departmental stores. i also searched many places and finally got mine from KKH.I think the price went up liao. (see below link for the picture for the adapter)

http://www.firstfewyears.com.sg/warehouse/detail.htm?ProductID=BTF%2D14

Ting, we can trade in 125ml for the 260ml. Just tell the lady you want the 260ml bottle. But the bottle u trade in must be the whole set, which means must consist of the teat & cap.

yup luckymummy, that's the one i'm refering to.

thanks ting.

the pump and save bag is not resuable same as all other milk bags lor.

actually wat i did was just use the medela bottles that came with the pump when pumping then just pour out the milk to a milk bag for storage. cos the avent storage system takes up more space in the fridge than a milk bag

Wow!!! Just a few days the threads so many liao!!

Went BB fair yest to c c look look.. Wanted buy a peg perego BB pram but the model we like is so exp! Close to $1k!!

In the end, Hubby found a 3wheel one buggster tat he like [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] haha!! Half the cost & looks more stylo. Anyone used this b4? I heard it's more well like by the westerners.. Prob next wk gg buy. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

gee!! Envy those that can feel BB movemtns!! I feel nothing at all, other than the bloatedness after meals. :p now also dun feel the pregnancy, eat all I can :p haha!!

Anyone has a list of what to buy? Can share? Cos I'm not sure if I got everything on the list or not. Hoping to buy all in a shot!! Hee :p save time & hassles!! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

o ya, experienced mums, 4bottles for NB enough? I'm praying hard that I can breastfeed :D

is it tat if I buy avent bag storage, it fits all avent pumps? Cos my SIL passing her pump to me.

Charleen,

if u go to taka bb section or like mothercare u can get a list of things to buy. just use that list as a rough guide lor.

i only had 2 bottles for my girl.

if u buy the avent storage system it can fit all avent pumps.

Ting,

Thanks for the links. I am more inclined to buy medela cos it's highly recommended by my sis-in-law and several new mummy friends. They say it somehow 'empties' the breast more completely during each session, or got the flow started better. Plus I think it is lighter (for electric dual pumps). I don't think I would go very far if I have to carry a heavy pump all over the place.

Although this is very subjective, anyone here has tried both and can give an opinion?

for bird nest and cordyceps, my MIL bought from Hockhua (Fuhua) - six 'liang' of birds' nest + i box of cordyceps for $1022 (after the promotional discount). Not sure if the discount is still on, but u can check they r quite reputable. the birds' nest after cooking never 'disappear' and still alot

Hi luckymummy11, pai sei. i read back my post then i notice i wrote wrong :$ i actually wanted to sae since u intend to get the adapter, i thot is more practical to go for avent storage system.

fyi if u have decided on medela pump, any brands of standard size feeding bottle can fit to the pump. sealing disc for the standard size feeding bottles are easily available. but u must check the instruction/label see if the bottles are suitable for sterrilizing or not if u intend to sterrilise them.

i got both avent uno electric and medela PIS. i am not sure abt the weight of avent twin pump, my PIS is quite bulky and heavy also. functional wise, i find both quite alright. both able to empty each breast. PIS got more accessories to choose from. you can choose the size n type of breast connector that suit u best while avent only one standard offer. but daily maintenance wise, i personally find avent pump easier to wash and setup. both got their pro and con lor.

Helloha!~

I've got a pack of LANSINOH Breastmilk Storage Bags for SALE(25pcs).

I bought it from Mothercare for $18 and tat am willing to sell it at $15.

Please kindly pm me if u're interested! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

My qn is a little gross. Any mommies considering eating own placenta? Not raw of cos but engage a shop to dry n pound to powder. Heard it's very good for skin.

Back