(2010/10) October 2010 MTB

morning all

vivian, thanks! i will go press press the husks. :p

princess, i don't know whether i can cope with 2 kids plus housework plus cooking. Thinking cooking will be out of the window... I'm one of those people who don't like strangers in the house. Will probably see how it goes.

starry, just tell your friends you will prefer angpaos/vouchers over gifts. Unless u have something in mind that they can get for you like a bumbo seat or a highchair or the baby rocker etc. Those baby gift sets are really not useful.

fifi,

I think what u suggested also good cos I know if ppl

dunno what to buy, they will likely get baby gift sets which won't really use and may go wasted.

Ian,

yup! It's good! The other day I had dinner there with my boss and 16 colleagues. All said very nice. My in-laws and parents love it too. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Morning Mummies!

SIL, I think this is common to some of us. I wil simply ignore them, cos the pain of compare and competing is not fair for the kids. I will put attentions to my bb, sometimes we should not be bothered too much else it makes us miserable.

Weekend, was a tiring one though. Muahaha.. went shopping on Sat and finally give in to my cravings! I tried the UDDERS ice-cream! MSW, damn shiok! Thanks for the recommendations! :p

Morning Jac,

I think those closer to you, can you simply tell them that you prefer angpaos/vochers to gifts lor. That's what my gf did. Muahaha.. though some pple dun like la, but most pple will still suit your preference lor.

Princess D,

nope. My SIL dun have financial problem. In fact, they are the richest among my hb's siblings including my hb himself lor.

That SIL of mine is a weird person lah... cannot tahan her. I haven even start to talk abt how she treats her daughter ah... never fails to light up a fire in me...

xin2,

haha... retail therapy is always the best medicine!! keke... esp. shop for our precious one... hmm... I need my therapy too!!!

Ian,

Morning!

Starrymommy,

Think hor, most likely she is not prepared lah. She can call to tell my MIL to call off the wedding just weeks before their wedding one lor... then due to big age diff, she felt that she have to have a bb before my BIL is too old to have one.

So she just got preggie lor. All I rem abt her is she talking abt money which is not even an issue to her and my BIL and how much she missed her travelling. She just made my BIL felt so bad lor. Imagine my BIL can midnight rushed down to somewhere without a car just to get supper she wanted hor, while my hubby just tell me to drink milo and eat marie biscuits!

haha... sigh... everyone also cannot tahan her lah... yet, she is so blessed with a girl who is so cheery and clever lor.

I dun know what she is thinking lah, whether jealous or buay gam guan... I just heck care her and enjoy my pregnancy... keke.. just do anything to help her when she need help lor. Can you imagine a mtb who dun know what is a breast pump and got to ask her hubby to just buy something that can relief her from engorgement! My BIL no choice got to rush to my place and ask me for help...

As for baby shower gifts, I got frens who put up gift registry online so that ppl can see what they need lor. They also state that ang bao/vouchers are most welcomed... haha...

Weekend ah...

ok lor.. sat went out with frens for dinner in airport so that the kids can free run...

but last night was horrible. Was thinking of having a good fathers' day dinner and my BIL family + PIL suggested foodcourt in Kallang leisurepark. The food is HORRIBLE! And worse, I was craving for bubble tea and the whole leisure park got NOOOO bubble tea!! argh...

yesterday i went to this zi-char style restaurant @ novena..

http://www.differenttaste.com/aboutus.html

food is pretty gd, reasonably priced..

average per pax is abt $19..

ordered curry fish head, broccoli, yam basket w/scallop, prawn roll, minced pork tofu & honey pork ribs~

worth e try!~ [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

ian,

average out $20++ per pax (alcohol excluded) for last night 6 of us. When we went with a bigger group, colleagues etc, everything added up to less than $20 per pax. Around $25 per pax can eat quite a variety and until super shiok + full. actually go there no need to order drinks as there will be complimentary cold wheat tea served.

emmie, teeong, vivian,

thanks for the suggestions! i see that angbao & vouchers are really more popular. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] if ppl ask then i will tell them we prefer angbao/vouchers. if they don't i also won't approach them and say 'cos later they think why give gifts also must pick and choose! lol!

Morning ladies and Ian

sigh.. had an uneventful weekend. My hubby was having problem with his widom tooth so got to had it extracted yesterday. Whole Sunday taking care of him.

Sat went gynae.. saw my cutie princess.. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/kao_clap.gif]

Ian go try the korean restaurant. The food is good. Get more people to go then can order more.

The last time only got 3 of us so we can't order much.

Oh the restaurant u recommend I thk west coast has one too. Just opp the petrol kiosk. Ok will go give it a try soon.

Ok... you all made me want to try out this korean rest...

Someone can give me the address/location?? I must go jio my frens to makan there coming weekend liao... parking got problem there??

since today's topic is on SIL, i wanna share my story about mine. she is 3 yrs younger than hubby and i and very estranged from the family. to my PILs, hubby is the only child they have 'cos SIL really, truly is a disappointment to them. here are some occasions i heard/witnessed myself:

1. during CNY

FIL drove all of us to m'sia for reunion and celebrations. we took with us a lot of CNY goodies from SG and also our luggage. the whole car was packed full. upon arrival at the relatives' place, my SIL went ahead to grab her bag 1st from the boot, causing the mandarin oranges to tumble down. my hubby and FIL got a bit upset and asked why she was so selfish, took care of her own things and didn't remove what was in the way first. she came up with some excuses (can't remember what). my FIL also stubborn man, although wld have stopped 'scolding' if SIL had said sorry and helped with the rest. but SIL also one kind, like to quarrel with FIL. end up shouting match outside the relatives' house and everyone stood ard watching lor! SIL cried and hit my hubby!! she cried like a baby, screamed at FIL and hubby but everyone saw that it was her who started the whole commotion. really very ugly scene. throughout the entire CNY, i hardly saw her speaking to my PIL and hubby.

2. Hitting FIL

can't remember when this happened, i think 2 yrs ago bah. dunno what's the detail also. i think over some money issue like she needed to borrow $$ from FIL (she always borrows but nv returns) but FIL not willing to lend her or something like that. end up argue, then quarrel, then she suddenly slapped FIL! that one ultimate... i was at their place and abt to go home that evening and witnessed everything lor. think my FIL really heartbroken.

3. Other small things

she treats my MIL like a maid. my MIL has had knee replacement before and her other knee hurts her a lot when she walks so she has to limp. when MIL asks her to help bring out the rubbish, SIL will act dumb, like nv hear. when MIL needs to mop floor asks her to help her bring out the heavy pail of water, SIL continues sitting in front of tv and act dumb also, even saying that she's not free. i get very pek chek when i hear about this! and not once, many, many times already... another time (recently), she ordered KFC delivery for herself, nv ask PILs if they want any dinner. after she is done with her meal, there was one chicken wing left in the box, mixed together with all the skins and leftover bones. she asked FIL if he wanted the chicken wing! idiot also can see that she didn't purposely left the wing for FIL cos it was mixed up with all her leftovers, so gross right? her motive is to let FIL clean up the table for her. she is THAT lazy and always let MIL do the cleaning up after her. even her cup of Milo need someone (grandma) to make for her and wash up for her. i have NEVER seen her doing any housework at home.

my PILs told me that she's like that because MIL left her in the care of the paternal grandma, who didn't teach her well. hubby was taken care of by MIL herself, so grew up more 'normal'. surprisingly, SIL is very active in SOCIAL WORK. she visits old folk's homes, children's homes and is active in alot of voluntary works. was even nominated by the national dunno-what-thing for outstanding young person award (something like that lah) and given award by the MP! cannot believe it lor...i

there are so many other things that she did which made the whole family very upset with her. so much so that it has become a vicious cycle. meaning, my hubby and PIL already expected the worse from her. and SIL also won't expect PILs to be nice to her. last time they'd still ask her if she wants dinner etc, now no more. they always say they can't wait for her to get married and move out, the further the better.

that's why to my PILs, hubby is the only son. whenever my hubby asks them for something, they will give without hesitation. but if SIL asks for anything, even $50, FIL will nag and nag abt it to hubby and i. but thankfully hubby is very filial towards them. every week dinner with them, talk to them etc. we also have plans to have them move in with us 5 yrs later, after we sell our flat and buy bigger one.

sorry arh.. such a loooong post. but i thought can share with you all. some of you deal with jealous, buay gam guan SILs. mine doesn't affect me directly, but she always breaks her family's heart.

Re: Gifts from friends

I usually try to phrase it nicely lah saying that I have hand me down clothes already and already shop enuff so hope they wont give gift sets. Then things like bottles, etc, I tell them that I am BF so I dun need many bottles and already prepared according to BPA free, lactation consultant's advice, etc so no need more - also buy already may be wasted coz baby may not like that brand, better if I have the vouchers, when I see what baby likes then I buy.

Need some advice:

I am considering to buy a car... have been considering for super long lah.

Basically weekdays, my workplace is 5 MRT stops from my place only but I may not get a seat. There are small number of days - once or twice a month that I need to travel for meetings to a further location.

Sat we usually go out with my parents coz they want to spend time with my child (ren).

Sun, hubs and I sometimes try to make it just us - i.e. just the 4 of us (incl my little tiger).

So the car is mainly for weekdays and Sunday.

My dad is willing to lend us his car if we need it on weekends but Sunday muz be afternoon onwards. But we always feel bad inconveniencing my dad.

Then after I deliver, I intend to take 1 day off per week to spend with the 2 kids so a car would be extrememely useful - weekday cannot borrow dad's car.

Basically, the car does not seem that much a need but it provides flexibility to go out anytime we want, better quality of life and convenience for me, esp next year when I gotta carry my Breast Pump to and from work.

But its soo ex... shld I buy?

vivian,

it's called the 韩风 Korean BBQ restaurant, located along the whole stretch of Cheong Chin Nam Rd opposite beauty world/bt timah shopping centre. outside the restaurant is parallel parking but always full one. so we always park the car at the open space carpark. from carpark need to walk down abt 5 mins like that. can check out this: http://www.singaporemirror.com/co_hanfung.htm

Vivian,

The restaurant is the only Korean resaurant at that stretch. Next to Johnson duck.

Fifi

Can consider getting a 2nd hand car if too ex. I dont thk the COE is going to come down anytime soon.

My hubby has been nagging at me that I haven't go get my driving license. =P

Maybe I should chiong and try to get it during my ML.

Any mummies experiencing numbness and tingling feeling on the hands and arms? Been getting this the past week. Esp in the morning.. can't even brush my teeth properly in the morning.

I checked with my gynae on Sat and he said this is normal. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

My princess is weighing at 653g at 25weeks. When I saw the scan on Sat, her tummy looks so big! I thought she is overweight. But my gynae says she is normal.. neither fat or thin. hmm....

fifi,

for all that convenience, do you think it is worth it to get a car? have you done the calculations how much it is going to cost per month? then you weigh it against the conveniences and see if you feel it's worth it. if it is and is affordable for your family, then go for it!

for me, i travel from jurong to AMK everyday but still think taking bus/MRT beats driving. i am thinking about the ERPs and traffic jams. my only concern is how to send and fetch baby to and from mum's place daily next time, morning and evening. i did my sums on that, and if we take cab everyday, it will still be a lot cheaper than owning a car. hubby actually wanna get a car also. but the amt to maintain puts us off. FIL did say he wanna get us one, but we always say no because really not worth the conveniences at this point.

Vivian,

The restaurant is the only Korean resaurant at that stretch. Next to Johnson duck.

Fifi

Can consider getting a 2nd hand car if too ex. I dont thk the COE is going to come down anytime soon.

My hubby has been nagging at me that I haven't go get my driving license. =P

Maybe I should chiong and try to get it during my ML.

Any mummies experiencing numbness and tingling feeling on the hands and arms? Been getting this the past week. Esp in the morning.. can't even brush my teeth properly in the morning.

I checked with my gynae on Sat and he said this is normal. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

My princess is weighing at 653g at 25weeks. When I saw the scan on Sat, her tummy looks so big! I thought she is overweight. But my gynae says she is normal.. neither fat or thin. hmm....

wah tdy hot topic on SIL?

I also hv my fair share of a 2 sided face SIL. v scary. in fact of us all, she is like an angel but behind us, she adds poison. shall not go into details but even my MIL is aware and reminds me not to talk too much with her. My SIL is a typical quiet dog that kills when bite.

Haiyo! Forum got problem AGAIN!

Jac, that's my concern too. Sending my baby to my MIL and bringing her back. Sending her in the morning still ok i guess but is the fetching back part. Coz my hubby always works late, dont think I can wait that long to see my baby. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] Else maybe after work I got to go my MIL's place and camp there till my hubby comes and pick us.

Ooohh..I got my KOI fix on Sat. Tried the honey bubble tea recommended by Cyn but find it too sweet. But it is nice maybe next time ask them to put less honey.

yewee,

that korean bbq buffet you posted about looks nice! how much was the buffet? i went to the website but only saw the unlimited lunch buffet. so dinner don't have? does the bbq buffet include all the charcoal grill items? the black angus beef selections look very yummy! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

i had my bbq korean food last friday at bugis.. yucks. each pax around 40plus.. not worth..

good morning

starry,

fwahhh your SIL is extremely rude! Sorry, but who is she to slap her own dad? OMG! Got retributions le!

Some I saw was bad but your SIL sounds like n extreme case!Your PIL must be heartbroken to see her behaves like dat! Social work huh? What for if simple respects to own patents is so difficult for her??

I'm so angry just to read!

Re:gifts

well I guess if we take initiative to asked n insist , is fine... Not that we owed anybody anything! These two idiots friends I had dun appreciate lor n make lots of nasty comments if the toys or gift received is not suitable ! Crap!!!so I stop buying toys for her girls!

Grace:

sorry if I missed u out! Can you join us on fri dinner? Anyone else ?

SIL

wahahaha... I only have 1 sil n she is a darling cos we knew her since primary where she was my bro' s clasmate till sec n college! They both are childhood sweethearts[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

but I ve 2 BIL which is married! Both my BIL's wives has got special character! I'm the quiet one at home. I dun talk much!

HB is the first so tt makes me the dao sao! 2nd BIL n his wife live in US. Comes bk once every year!3rd BILs wife very kuniang n pampered n spoilt ! Nvr lay her hands on anything!

I have my fair share too dealing with these two fellas! Haaa.. But HB nvr says anything cos I think I should behAve n speak when needed otw my family will be blamed!

Very long story I had but very lazy to type but now... Bcos we dun live under one roof anymore, I should said our relationship are much better!

Hello ladies ...

Me took urgent leave today cos this blur mummy just realise that my #1 child care is CLOSED hahaha so decided to go par tok with him while my mum take care of my #2. If the 2 of them at home tog ... my mum will faintzzz

Went to Ice Edge for dinner last night (finally) ... the food is generally q good except that its abit salty for the pizze and fish & chip ... we had the highly recommended MSW ice cream ... yummy!! Should try the pistachio too ... its NICE!!

guys

Hey ,Since everyone is back...Just to inform you guys that the meet up on 25thJUN10 Friday is still ON!

THose that can make it,please let me know..[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

25th Firday Dinner buffet

confirmed attendance:

1.princess diamond

2.snoopy

3.vivian

Btw,i will be arranging for another meet up next week on weekday and it will be a lunch!

So those that can't make it this Friday,hope you can make it on next week meet up[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

lingo,

the one you went is it located at liang seah street? hubby and i have been thinking of trying out alishan korean bbq buffet but never did till now. is that the one?

princess d,

i also dunno what to say abt my SIL. i just keep quiet whenever PILs talk abt her. even the relatives are 'scared' of her. amazing that she is so into social work but behave so badly at home right?

babydes,

haha! same same, don't think can bear to wait that long to see baby next time! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] my mum did say that she won't mind looking after baby from mon to fri, and i can bring her home on fri night. don't think i will be able to stand a whole week not seeing her lor! hahaha!! anyway, i'm sure we will work some sort of fetching schedule out. worst case scenario is to just take cab to and fro lor, 'cos not very far.

Princess d,

no worries, im in the Secret Group already...

i shld be able to make it for dinner on 25th if it's ard west area as i gotta take care of my boy...

Jac, that's what my mum says too! She says I can leave my baby with her during the weekdays and weekend then bring her back. But I can't bear to.

Actually I feel more comfortable leaving my baby with my mum instead of my MIL. But my mum stays much much further than me.

babydes,

likely it is your mum who wants her granddaughter near to her bah. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] same case for my mum so the way she says is like she is doing me a favor. haha!! she really loves kids and is babysitting a 5 yr old boy. the boy really loves her and even calls her his "fake mummy". so sweet hor.

Re: Car

I got a promotion for a car now that makes the car price abit lower so compared to 2nd hand, might as well get first hand. $8K between a new and a 1 year old.

Re: Leaving kids with inlaws

I got a reliable maid so my kids are at home. I wont leave my children with Mum or MIL overnight de. Coz I want them to be near me. Will be sending my #1 to nursery next year though. I wont advice leaving kids with ILs coz all the sleep training will go out of the window. They wont buy all the sleep training, etc de.

Starrymommy,

it's opp mos burger,along the shophouse. not alishan korean. cant remember the shop name.

starry

She is bad!Really bad!!I was asked to joined in social works sometimes back cos one of my gf thought that it would be nice to help out and see what we can do for the unfortunate!I was very involved then even travel to villages for a visit and have a feel!

THen comes then orphans and also kids that been abused by their parents[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Just to share one incidents with you guys;

in year 2004 CHristmas Party, i was involved with 360 kids from different orphanage!THey are cute and some are naughty![IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Some of them was put in cos parents in Jail and some been abused by their parents and some lost their parents.

I was in charged of face painting and this lil guy came to me with his caregiver, said he wanna paint his face like a SOLDIER!!hahahaha camouflaged himself,so i did,while painting on him,he asked to paint his arms and legs too!Then i told him he might get his shirt dirty before the party starts?

He turn his back and pull down his pants..there was this scars of a palm size on his right bottom!His care giver quickly pull up his pants and said..enough..lets go!

There i was in shocked looking at it then the caregiver told me ..his mother burnt him with a hot iron!

This lil guy was holding back hi tears so we didnt wanna continue to talk about it and i told him that i will paint his arms and legs...

He then told me..he wanna be like a soldier to fight back when needed and also,if he is well painted,his mom will not be able to find him and burn him again!This lil guy is only 4yrs old!

My heartbroken to hear all this and more stories from other kids!

After i left the organization in 2007,the chairman did asked me to join them again but i told them i can't cos i think i want to have my time now with my FAMILY!I felt i disn't spent enough time with them when i was working...I can do many social works but i dun wanna neglect my family!That will defeat the purpose!

Though there were any misunderstandings and argumennts with my IL..but till today,i make the effort to meet them up for meals and shoppings even HB not around..and as for my Parents and family we meet up kinda often cos they are the one always drop by and i called them every night b4 turning in!

Here we see ppl being so helpless and being abused and there we see ppl who don't even appreciate a single things in life!I dunno?

princess d,

the little boy's story is really very heartbreaking. some more he was only 4 yrs old! children like him really don't deserve such treatment. don't understand how parents can bear to hurt their own flesh and blood like that lor..

speaking of monster parents, i was watching discovery channel last night and there was this american woman in the 80's who killed 9 of her children one by one over the span of 14 yrs because she craved the attention she got when 1 of them died. she is really crazy... she gave birth then killed them just to attract attention.

fifi,

if just $8k diff, might as well go for brand new? but depends what kind of loan u are getting. if spread out over 10 yrs, should be worth it. 'cos you nv know what happened to the 2nd hand car during the 1 yr it was used. my friend bought a 2 yr old car couple of yrs ago. while testing, everything was ok. the problems with engine, brake etc all came in after the 1st mth of driving.

starrymommy:

The buffet if not remember wrongly is $29++.

Very nice ... They provide alot of side dishes and can re-full one.

Hi All,

It's been a busy day at work! Mon blues -_-""

So many stories on SIL *sighs*...think most of the time just hv to open and close one eye...

Babydes,

Like you, I experienced that numbness and tingling feeling, guess it's the carpal tunnel syndrome which preggies are prone too...

boy, am i glad i'm not the only one having issues with SIL. and mine is a foreigner as well. sigh...sometimes i feel i think too much but sometimes i can't help it.

i feel i'm quite an accurate judge of character and my gut feeling is usually true.. but then it seems my FIL and even hubby feels she's ok. but somehow for my SIL, deep down i'm not 100% sure abt her character. =s sometimes i feel she's fake to me.. or could it because she senses my doubt abt her?

i've been following my MIL and hubby to this regular fortune teller dat they've been consulting with since i was with hubby. on one particular day, the fortune teller actually told my MIL dat my SIL is not an easy one. on the surface she looks ok, but behind our backs, one would not know. this freaked me out..cos seldom this fortune teller will say such things.. but deep down i bit happy cos it might mean my gut feeling is right after all. =p

anyway my hubby brushed it off.. my MIL also did not mention it again. of cos i'm happy dat my MIL doesn't 100% believe in the teller's words and would rather judge for herself. but at the same time, i'm bit sceptical.. but time will usually reveal all.

pearlyn,

your SIL is PRC/indo/m'sian? i'd also be very wary if i have a foreigner at home, more so if PRC. my uncle married an indonesian chinese, but she is very nice. gave him 2 beautiful daughters! anyway, just don't need to be too suspicious bah. after all, time will tell. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

just wanna share here.. a link to a discovery channel video showing that babies do cry in the womb! http://dsc.discovery.com/news/media/fetalcryingvideo.html

Lilbluey, I dont like this numbness and tingling feeling. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Princess D, the line is having the 39% off for their buffet you can book that if you all are going there for the meet up. My colleague just booked that for a project celebration lunch for next Monday.

Starry,

Thxs for sharing, it's amazing to know that [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Babydes,

Me too! I hate that feeling too..-_-""

Back