(2010/03) March 2010 mtb

Tash,

but JR rowling seriously struck lottery with Harry Potter. From broke divorcee, single parent to rich taitai. Haiz, so no matter what I think of how Harry Potter ended, she made money! I must learn!

cefindre,

ur menu looks so yummy.....hehe!

u be preparing fresh portions for emma everyday since u will be sahm or be preparing and freezing ?

jmmabb,

haha, u must be hungry in office!

yar, I plan to prepare fresh portions first and see how it goes, afterall, it's such small portions and i bought the avent blender/steamer. But i did get babycubes to standby. Better to store some freezed cubes for those moments when she is v hungry, or for weekends when we have no time.

ladyk,

hehe, thanks. I like to cook, so it's v exciting to think abt her menu. My sis gave me a few pointers: she said that bbies when first starting out with solids love experimenting with new foods and tastes. So it's good to let them try each individual food taste one at a time, e.g. don't mix too much for a start coz their tastebuds are very young, they are easily happy with the natural taste of one food. Then as they progress along, we can throw in the meats, soups and pasta for more bite and nutrition. the yellow fruits/vegs, pumpkin/carrots/sweet potatos are generally rich in vit C foods, so it's good for them.

cef,

yes! this single mum turned billionaire is fascinating enough! I so wish I am one too, though minus the "single mum" factor! LOL! It gets too "dark" in last few books and romance sets in which perhaps I am still in the childhood of harry, thus finds it weird to "see" him dating and got married in last book! muhahaha! Maybe I want harry by myself! LOL! U noe I have the whole series of HP movies ;p I can watch it again n again n again...mu hubby will just roll his eyes! What makes a good weekend? late nite harry potter movie plus snacks n turn on that stereo men! :-D

cefindre

:p me at hm now, starting work next monday.....

lucky emma !

i also tot of buying the avent blender/steamer but my hb thinks is a waste of $.....i feel v convenient leh cos can do everything in a machine.

cef,

hold a food tasting session at your place lah. we can bring our bbs to be your "guinea pigs"! muhahah! that will be fun! like a cooking lesson demostration cu playdate! ;-)

Cef, must share the recipe for all your menu as cooking is nvr my forte. I like apple custard. *yum yum*

I like to expose nic to different favors but what i'm worried is after he taste the yummy one (eg sweet apple), will he want to eat the bland but nutritional one again?

i can shake hand with u. the kitchen belongs to my hb. but i think i can manage simple steaming and blending...heeee......

cefindre,

yes, pls share your receipes, thankss!!!

wah if got food tasting and demo, i also wanna join !!!!!

Tash,

u are so cute! hahaha, i can imagine ur hubby rolling eyes, becoz my hubby does that when I watch harry potter too! but no leh, I'm not so hardcore, I can't watch harry potter for long!

idea leh: that will be fun!!! okok, can plan when i am at home.

jmmabb,

oh no, starting work nxt mon? I can understand the dread! Jiayou, u can do it! Avent blender, the mummies here recc me a good buy during taka sale, it was much much cheaper. Try and pyscho hubby! Coz everyone was telling me how meats cannot be mixed with bb food etc, so I thought, yar, should buy a seperate blender. But ur hubby is not wrong too, after they reach 1yr, v quickly they move on to our type of food, then dunno how useful the blender will be.

okok, I gotta run off, late to pick EMMA! 2 days in a row, hubby's gonna kill me! nite nite mummies! ttyl

Haha..harry potter.

If only we have magical skills, all housework and cooking can be done easily with a whip of the wand and we can spend all our time with our LOs.

okie gotta fetch rei too and attend a good fren's farewell party! she's relocating to HK...so another reason for me to pop by HK often! muhahaha!

have a great evening ladies, ciao!

cefindre,

avent blender is one of the items in my list to buy in taka bb fair....

will try to convince hb if not i just buy first then say, haha. i also agree on using separate equipment to prepare bb stuffs esp food, thats the main reason y i wan to get the blender and also not forgetting convenience all in 1

HI mummies,

A lot of things happen recently and hb have an opportunity to work in Beijing, he is asking me abt my opinion. He will bring the whole family there, the problem is if I am comfortable or not. I am sure I cant handle 2 kids on my own, I heard that we can hire helper there as well.

I also worry abt the education and the environment there.. aiya headache.

Mommies, here's a suggestion, maybe you want to put up something like this food chart here (which I've uploaded to our facebook group) for your caregivers to see what are the food to avoid before baby is of age.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=4474758&o=all&op=1&view=all&subj=117743747923&aid=-1&id=683833261

I've to break up the image into 3 set so that they appear bigger. But do pm me if you want the entire leaflet. I can mail it to you.

RE: ikan bilis

remebered wong bb said best not to intro ikan bilis due to salt content etc.

cef

can't wait when u r sahm.. give me tips to meal preparation and all.. yep i m rich, cos i feel rich when i see vera! =)

icy

i heard can hire helper in beijing, if u need help. so no worries on that. education wise got to do some research.

cef, ur recipe looks super yummy and healthy!! if only we adults ate like that too.. haha.. we really should try instead of the usual horfun and fried rice dinner.

my hubby also dominates the kitchen.. will make very tasty sandwich.. toast bread, buttered, add this add that.. i'm damn lazy.. will eat even plain bread when hungry. the most is cheese slice in the middle or nutella.. very lazy eater! :p hee.. eat whatever's easy

still holding out semisolids for belle till she's 6 months.. no time to experiment also.. sigh.. sooo tired everyday.. this whole week is late cuz of N level invigilations.. timekeeper.. so boring... zzzzzz.... work also very xin ku, dun work also stress about the moolah.. sigh.. no other ways about it huh?

sad sad..

icy, sounds happening leh, i think u should give it a try! opportunities like that dun come by easy.

Hello mummies!

Tash, Cef & Timy, no lah...my tummy is flat before preg so think now it just regain back its orginal size. i didnt do much but diligently wear binder for 1st 2 months (on off). My weight seems stagnant now, though already 2kg lower than pre-preg weight but cant go any lower liao. Hehehe...me is now cant wait to get pregnant again! I even got names for my #2! Hahaha!

Timy, I went Ikea but cant find any nice high chairs leh...u bought the white colour one at $29 (cant remember the price) with tray? Btw, the Beaba brand sells the blender at $200+ one izzit? The caucasian sales guy came over and passed me a brochure last weekend. Expensive leh!

Pooh, same leh...i already stopped bf after Lac's 1st month. But when I pressed, still got milk too! I was just telling hubby that I should just open up my pump again and pump my "last bit" before it is totally gone!

Tash, u bought Scout? I downloaded some stuffs into Violet but doesnt seems to "appear" when i press leh...plus, the name list dont have Lac's name! Aiyoyo..... so sad!

Joyful buddy, i saw ur FB msg...paisay i dont log in here so frequent now..been bz at work. Then when home, I just nua and rest...miss u lots too!

RE: Caps

Oh, didnt know that cap is to cover "things". Thought its to prevent wind from getting into baby's head. Thats why in the morning when I need to drop Lac at PIL's house, I will wear cap for her. Else i dont bother about the cap liao....7th month coming, think i better take out the caps and use!

RE: Solids

I just started on Eu Yan Sang si shen powder last wkend. It seems like Lac's milk intake has improve! Wooohooo! Instead of being stagnant at 150ml for so long, she can drink 180ml already! MIL said today she kept fussing for milk every 3 hrs, instead of 4 hrs. So she topped up 180ml and she finished up. Happy!

Cef, wow...cant wait for u to share recipes with us once our babies on solids soon! So excited! Can I ask u for tips if I need help? Hehehe...

LadyK, sad to know what your mum did..and lucky smart Selene rejected it. My MIL also kept insisting to give Lac the brown rice, just mixed with milk. She told us that she and FIL also drink like that. My hubby told her off n said she has ADULT stomach and Lac is just a baby. Still need to "cook" before feeding her, cant just mixed in milk. Afterall, they are rice grains still. Sometimes talking to the elders can make us vomit blood!

Good calcium sources for your baby

Milk remains a good source (but by no means the ONLY source) of calcium throughout life. Calcium from milk is easily absorbed and milk products are generally popular with children (experts even recommend adding a little chocolate syrup for those less willing to drink milk - this is still healthier than drinking soda instead!)

Soy milk (some brands are better than others, so it's important to read the label).

Cheese is a great way to get calcium into your baby as it's very easy to incorporate into meals (it tastes great sprinkled over cooked veggies, for example). In addition, people who can't tolerate other dairy products often do better with cheese. This is because the milk protein that can cause problems breaks down as the cheese matures.

When can my baby eat cheese and which are the safest cheeses?

Yogurt - the calcium from yogurt is easily absorbed and, like cheese, yogurt is often better tolerated than other dairy products by sensitive individuals. Fortunately, yogurt is also a very popular food with babies! Learn how to make your own yogurt here!

Blackstrap molasses

black eyed peas

lentils

sardines (our babies loved a little sardine mashed on toast!)

collard greens and spinach (although these plants have a high calcium content, it is less well absorbed than from other foods - see the notes below about calcium absorption)

kale

broccoli

okra

salmon

cottage cheese (try mixing it with fruit puree if your little one refuses it!)

squash (summer and winter - see our butternut squash baby food ideas here)

oranges (1 year+)

calcium-fortified orange juice

calcium-fortified cereal

chickpeas/garbanzo beans

pinto beans

raisins

prunes

swede/rutabaga

amaranth (you can read more about amaranth and other nutritious grains here)

some tofu (tofu processed with calcium sulfate - a calcium salt - is a good source of calcium. But tofu processed with a NON calcium salt is not a significant source of calcium. Of tofu processed WITH calcium sulfate, the firm variety is a better source of calcium than the soft.)

watercress

parsley

Read more: http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/calcium-sources.html#ixzz0utBOjtnS

with thanks from ladyk's website! it's a good read!

ladyk and chloe,

i'm not the one w the biggest bag collection here. timy is. she has lots of v v v nice bags! i only have 3 i think. eh, who selling chanel 2.55 eh? i dun mind 2nd hand also! hehe..

timy,

ya lor! u r one rich SAHM. no income and can spend like u r getting a salary. really envy u. and vera is one lucky baby.. v she de!

babyl buddy,

ya la, i know busy.. i only teasing u la, no need to post! hehe.. absence makes the heart grow fonder! glad to see lachelle's pic when u post. looking forward to ur #2!

babyl

i bought the cheapest highchair. but vera doesnt like it. she cannot stand being in it. she prefers the jumperoo..

hey so u r trying for #2 already??? wow.. u will be the first!! so excitng!

wow, all of u so on! already thinking of recipes! I'm a total klutz when it comes to cooking. Hope i'll manage to put together good & nutritious food with the recipes by u all!

torayme,

can add me in ur fb? [email protected]

i can't see the mar mtb group.

[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

ladyk,

my newphew always eat porridge with dried scallops.. think fr 7 mths onwards.. but the salt content is actually quite high too.. if u eat it ''raw'', it's actually comparable to ikan bilis. my observation is that if u give him plain porridge with just ie. fish, veg, he rejects nowadays.. cos it's tasteless in the porridge w/o the scallops.

dun rem where i read it from. it says that ikan bilis has rich calcium content, but also cause high cholesterol too... so beside soaking and soakin, drying then grind, the heads of the bilis need to be removed as well..

babyl,

jia you!! there's a mtb feb 10 mommy already preggie with 2nd 1 liao leh..

tash,

i like ur idea of getting all babies to all gather together having food tasting session... that will be very fun... and funny as well.

icy,

my husb uncle had been living in beijing for years, whole family(3kids) also there. Even when job stint ended, he looked for another one cos so shiok over there. 2 maids, 1 nanny(my MIL), 1 driver, 1 gardener. His 2 older kids went to American school so slang here & there. Youngest son(4yrs old) goes to British school so got Brit accent. Quite cute.

It sounds like a good opportunity for ur hubby but yah I would also hesitate if I'm in ur shoes cos it is a major move afterall. All the best in whatever decision u make!

Cef, hw come yr jobs so demanding if me I dun care Liao still need to take care till next yr event who cares by then

BabyL, hw many wks is yr bb when u starts the cereal I am still thinking wheher to give Char cereal now or to start give water bit by bit. I bought the philips blender with steamer is so convenient one side blend and turns the othe side for steam maybe can try to steam some soft food for bb :) I am lousy in cooking so this type suits me best

Cef, yummy yummy yr menu looks gd u must be gd cook envy envy I only know cook Maggie mee hehhehe

Ladyk, aiyo why yr mum not understanding hw can give egg yolk now wat century Liao somemore at KPT fainted .....

Chloe, check with u I order the item Fr Elise did u help me collect ? I can go pick Fr u when u r available pai say to have u lobang item back for me. Ok to msg me thru email so that I can pass my hp no to u : [email protected] thank u thank u :)

ladyl, i think scallop may have higher chance to cause allergy also..

just came back from my friend's house.. her baby had diarrhea so she kena very bad diaper rash. cos her baby teething, put everything in her mouth so prob the germs, bacteria whatever caused her diarrhea. so mummies, must watch out what ur babies put in their mouth!

BabyL,

wow, i admire your courage.

I dont want and dont dare to think about #2.

Not the pregnancy portion, not the childbirth - it's the upbringing...

tiga, QQ

Yes, will be a major decision because i might just be there "forever". The offer is pretty attractive. Honestly, I don't really like the working environment there - drink, drink and drink. Also dun like the air pollution there and I worries abt the food there - milk powder scares and all.

Hb seemed so keen.

ladyk,

hmm..porridge, maybe can add barley, carrots and chicken bits to make into a hearty cereal broth. Or add little bits of fish(whitebait - high in calcium and no salt and no bones, think it's a much better option than ikan bilis).

miracle,

thanks for starting the recipe list, it's gonna come in so useful!

priscilla,

yar, i have a v lazy boss. Ask me to do his work and go attend meetings in place of him. that's how I end up planning for nxt yr's events, quite ridiculous rite?

Babyl,

u are 2 kg prepreg??? omg, i am really so jealous now! That's it, I am gonna STARVE!

QQ,

I'm an ok cook lah, to be honest, becoz of work, I've hardly been cooking. But I do really enjoy cooking when i am free.

icy,

actually I'm quite adventurous, so I'll say go for it also. how long is his posting there? If it's reasonable, 1yr, I think no harm. It's an eyeopener for the children and they get to learn new cultures and see more nature, things that spore children really don't get to see much. There will always be cons, but I always feel it's good to explore new places esp if it's relocation for a short timeframe. And, they haven't started school yet, so this is really the ideal time to travel.

Joyful bud, yeah...i cant post much in FB during office hrs so reply u thru here. Agree that absence makes a heart grow fonder! U got any pixs of Emma? I wanna see her!

Timy n LadyK, hahaha! I cant wait to try for #2 if not for the zodiac dragon. I am aiming for dragon so can only start next year june... Hehe..LadyK, i m scared of upbringing too but i want to give Lac a sibling so she wont feel bored...

Timy, u got that high chair ah? I am still thinking if i should get it or just feed Lac on walker...

Xihui, ya i know about the Feb mummy..she steady! Admire her!

Pris, i started si shen powder only last sat when my gal is 21 wks. Havent start on cereals yet. Thinking to do it this weekend or next, will see how. I got the avent blender but dun think will use it for now.

Cef, u should envy elise! She is 3kg lower than prepreg! U r slim too so dun starve urself pls!

babyl

u feed on walker then next time lac can move ard in walker then u have to chase after her? u let lac try the highchair first. i never let vera try the chair.. so end up maybe white elephant unless i force her to sit n ignore her cries.

oh u want dragon bb?? i want rabbit leh.. but not possible for me lor.

Hi ladies hope you don't mind me joining in here! My #1 was born 5th March, a week later than original EDD, @56cm & 3.6kg.

I wanted to ask how do babies normally sit up on their own the first time? Is it from lying down with tummy up position and then how? Sorry for the silly question but I honestly have never seen one do it!

Morning everyone.

Me again... Raining over at my area again. Hate it cos means gonna drive n send mal in the rain. Hope it stop raining at my parents area cos the car park is not sheltered [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

ladyk, like wat cef have said, add veg n meat stock to cook the porridge lor. Anyway it would be quite sometime before they eat porridge. I m starting them on rice cereal first then slowly intro root veg then fruits.

Think I m the only one dat is not so anxious abt starting mal on solids? Mal show no sign of interest in food, neck control is not that fantastic yet, though he is not too interested in his milk.

Well, as wat my mum say, he have a whole life ahead for him to eat so why worry!

winnie,

rained huh? hmmm... take care. ensure you got hat or something over Mal though you will be carrying umbrella.

re vegetables n meat stock to cook porridge... i read some post that, they prepare the stock then freeze it... then slowly use to prepare porridge.

actually i'm also not anxious about starting solids IF Selene continues her milk intake. Her intake is so erratic! I can't help thinking that her interest for mommy's milk drop...

Ladyk,

mal also erratic at his milk intake lor, but wat to do? He not interested in food also. Only wan to play. This guy must bear backside already.

Yeah, mal always got a cap on. Cos mum insist, actually I also dunno why until someone mentioned it's for "pantang" purpose. She say wear then I let mal wear cos no harm for him to wear ma, just dat it will cover his eyes at time and he will whinned. Fussy little boy

tell me about it, Selene doesn't like her eyes to be covered! KPO baby... ! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

OK, finished pumping, time to prepare breakfast!

Btw, anyone know where to get beanie cap for boys? Cos mal dun like those caps that blocked his view...

Oh my, I m buying things again. Hubby jus stop me from getting a bouncer n now I looking at things to buy. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

yes, bukit batok rained abt 4am.. the trees were swaying soo so much that i thot it will break!

winnie, mothercare got.. i saw cos i wanted to buy for enzo...

pumping now... so stoned.. how did u n ladyk manage to wake up sooo early??

babyl, i still got that tummy lo!!! cant get it flat le..

elise,

hahaha i dragged myself to wake up.... so much that i had to set alarm clock 30 minutes before the wake up time... i kept snoozing!!! heheheeh ahahahha.

In the mornings that i deliver BM, i will set 4.45am, snooze until 5am then i gam wan wake up lor.

Other mornings like today, no need delivery, then i can drag until 6am then wake up.

winnie,

why u wanna buy bouncer at this time? soon Mal will learn flipping, then you cant really use the bouncer anymore... i mean there's belt and locks on the bouncer but it might not be as stable once he tries to flip!

Selene hates bouncer. The one that my GF bought for me... used less than 5 times, kept in box now!

hi ladies , i've got quite bad blocked ducts. 2nd time already, v pain now [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

is there a LC anybody can recomned either fr Mt A or NUH?

is there a way to prevent this from happening...again!?

Elise,

thanks for info. I go mothercare n look see look see. Must go alone this time cos me genna banned from buying things already.

I die die also ve to wake up at abt 4.50 to 5am lor. Cos need 30 min to pump to clear the overnight load then wash up n sent mal to mum place then to work. I start work at 7.30 lor. But if I reach office early, I napped there lor.

Ladyk, the bouncer is for mal to lie down for awhile when I m at home alone wif him. Cos after work, I bring him home, I need to put him somewhere when I go to bathe or do things. Cos he can't sit very upright now plus he hate to be in the cot except sleep time. I dunno where to put him in the living room leh. Unless I buy a playmat n the fence? See, need to buy things again...

Hubby say the same thing that he will outgrow bouncer also but then again, at this period, between the can't sit properly n the dun wan to lie down time, where can i placed him?

Any suggestions?

Back