(2009) TTC a boy. Any advice

Wah
happy.gif
3bears your menses not back yet.. so envious.
I have a 11 mth gal too..

I wish for a boy because I had a gal already and I enjoy every min with her.

hi lolli77.

lolli, I'm currently BFing my 8 month old boy. my menses has returned. I introduced semi solids at 6 months and stopped night feeds. then my menses resumed.

wow 3bears, lolli, how did you manage to BF ur child so long? i only managed abt 9months then supply run low till no more. Any tips??

Hi!

cactus_79: I introduced semi solids at ard 5 mths but I didn't stop the night feeds. Or rather I dunno how to stop =( Till now my gal is still waking up at night to nurse... haiz

I introduced formula milk for 1 feed when she turned 13mths, and slowly increase to 2 feeds so I can stop pumping altogether. Only nurse her at night.

But still my menses hasn't come back =( Maybe I really have to stop the night feeds before it resumes.

Bena >> Do you latch your gal on? or only pump? I think latching helps. My supply did drop when I started working and it dropped even further when she turned 1. Whenever I saw my supply dipping, I will introduce additional pump sessions. But also I had alotta stored milk so still managed to last. Maybe you can try eating more fish?

lolli, that is so good. I latch her on fully will i started working. during office hours i will pump out, then for her dinner and supper, i will latch her on...but supply drained so fast since i started working
sad.gif

Actually i think i made a mistake. When i just delivered, i had so much supply, but did not pump out the excess...guess as time passes, the demand vs supply kicks in
sad.gif

lolli, what I did was to express milk for the night feeds. menses is more likely to return if we stop feeding between 12 midnight to 6am, (prolactin levels which supress ovulation are the highest then), and if we nurse less frequently than once every 6 hours. meaning 4 pumps or less every 24 hours.

Bena, ya actually i feel the demand and supply thing kicks in very quickly... as in the supply can just drop soooo quickly when i dun pump / nurse.

cactus_79, ya recently i read it somewhere abt the stopping feeding b/w 12mn to 6am. I'm thinking how i can stop that night feed... let my gal cry it out? Or hide so that she cannot see me haha. I shd really start somewhere...

Currently I only nurse her twice at night, once ard 11pm and once ard 5am.

But do I need my menses to come back before I can conceive?

Lolli, what you can do is to express your milk during the day, and feed your bb with the expressed milk at night if she needs to drink it?

On wheteher you need your menses to come back before you can conceive, it depends.

We are fertile about 2 weeks before our menses returns. But for some women, the 1st time our menses returns, it is preceeded by a non-ovulatory period. It's the same reason why some women constantly have menses, but have problems ovulating. It is easier to conceive if you have regular menses. Hope this helps!

Hi lolli
I'm latching her for one morning & one nite feed... and sometimes on her demand... i oso find it difficult to wean her off... had actually wanted to wean her off when she's 12-mth... then drag until now 16-mth liao...
But i have just started her on FM few weeks back... so hopefully can wean her off totally soon.
I oso dunno when I will start ovulating... but i heard that there are some mummies who do get pregnant while they are still bf-ing... some managed to catch the 1st egg (i.e. b4 their menses return) while others have their menses return oredi.

Hi jgal
R u still bf-ing your gal?

Hi Bena
I dun have any special tips leh... I guess it's just the determination to bf my gal until she's at least 1-year old... plus I'm really fortunate to have sufficient supply which makes it easier to persist on... and eventually it just become a routine/habit.

Hi cactus
For me, i continue to latch my gal on is because of convenience. Like i will nurse her at nite to make her fall asleep, and she tends to wake up around 6am for the morning feed, so i dun have to get out of bed to warm BM or prepare FM.
Guess it will still take some time to wean my girl off totally...

Hi cactus
Actually I feel my gal is comfort-nursing more than she's hungry, so the bottle wont help. Somehow when she sees me, she just refuses the bottle. However, if I'm not around, my hubby finds it so much easier to give her the bottle.
Thanks for the information!

Hi 3bears,
Hee hee same for me, wanted to wean her off from 6-mths, then dragged to 9-mths, then dragged to 12-mths, now she's 19mths!
I'm the same, continuing to latch out of convenience, haha I am really lazy to get out of bed in the middle of the nite to feed her =p Haiz my hubby is just as lazy hence everytime I say I wanna wean her off, he'll just go.. never mind, continue to nurse =p

I started to stop nursing her in the middle of the night last Thurs. Wah, nitemare! She cried non-stop for 1 hour, and after which still cried on and off for another hour. But I didn't wanna give in, so I ended up having "war" with her from 4-6am on thurs night. Was so tired on Fri. Last night was better surprisingly, she woke up twice but I managed to pat her back to sleep quite soon. Hopefully it will just get better.

lolli, my guess that you daughter wakes up in the middle of the night to milk becos she's hungry. BM is lighter than formula...so maybe that's why she wakes up in the middle of the night?
Maybe you can try half BM and half formula for her 11pm feed? That's what one of my friend did when she wean her daughter...slowly introduce her to formula...

3bears, really envy you and lolli, can BF till so long. I tried my best to do that, but supply ran so low, not enough for my girl
sad.gif
very sad. If I conceive #2, I will definitely try to last at least 1 year...eat more fish and papaya milk soup...heheh :p

That's another great challenge that I have now. My gal refuses the bottle (be in BM or FM) as long as she catches sight of me =(

If she doesn't see me, HB can bottle feed her. Haiz headache... told my HB maybe i shd just disappear the whole evening until she finishes her milk. =pp Not a gd idea though

Last night, she slept thru the whole night! So happy! I just hope she continues like that =)

Bena, don't be discouraged =) #2 may just be different. Just have to persevere =)

hihi

me too ttc for boy ,now my gal is 7mths old and i have look at the chart , n my chance of boy like v.low.

hi tess, why do u say the chance of boy v low? a lot of pink squares?

Lolli, maybe whenever it's milk time, get ur HB to feed her...so that she'll slowly get used to the bottle?
Yeah, will definitely persevere for next one
happy.gif

It's got nothing to do with you. It's the men's sperms which decide that it's boy or girl! So if u need to, change your hb's diet.

Hi lolli
Hope your gal can continue to sleep thru the nite.
I've stopped latching her at nite and switched the nite feed to FM. But she on off will still wake up in the middle of nite & cry for milk. End up I'll still latched her on in the middle of the nite, which is the crucial period tat suppressed ovulation. Sigh, like tat I wonder when will my menses return. A bit sian, cos TTC without a known cycle oso dunno can strike or not.

Hi Bena
I'm sure u can BF longer for the next one if u persevere. Jia You
happy.gif

Hi tess mummy
May i know which chart are u referring to?

Hi mashy
Do you know what food to change in hb's diet? How about the mummy's diet? What food to eat & to avoid?

3bears

its the chinese predict chart but anyway,i still Bfing , but now start using ovulation strips to test ,c if i ovulate.

mashy
regarding the acidic and alkaline, i don think it true as my friend who eat a lot of meat,had 2 boy boy.

reject milk bottle
wat to do where bb reject milk bottle? my bb playing with the nipple with her tongue.

3bears

i also dunno much, supposed to be meat for boy and vege for gals.

tess mummy
then it's true right? since meat = boy.

well, timing is also important i suppose. When i had my boy, my hb and i BD right before ovulation. I did BBT to monitor my ovulation.

And don't BD too often, need to conserve the male sperms. If BD often, all will be left are the female sperms.

Hi tess mummy
Your menses oso haven't return? Can share your result from the ovulation strips if u managed to detect ovulation?

Hi mashy
Hmm... I prefer meat than vege but I have a gal leh... but i agree with u tat timing is important, just tat it may not be easy to time exactly before/during ovulation.

hi mashy,

same thinking as you. i ate quite a lot of veggies before i got preggie, and my #1 is a girl. as for #2, i did not pay much attention to my diet but maybe cos i was thinking of having a boy, so sort of force myself to eat more meat, my #2 indeed turn out to be a boy...

ok, for both of my kids, as my menses is not regular, so i did not bother to monitor my ovulation. actually we BD whenever we feel like it.
happy.gif

not sure whether is this true, the gender of the baby depends on the parents siblings too...in my case, my hb is #2 and he has a elder sis, so in a way, the sequence of my kids is correct...

Jia You to all mummies who TTC for a boy!

sequence
that not true for my side. my hubby sibling goes like this B G B and mine is B G G .but my 1st one is gal. i wan a 好

tess, me too. I also hope for a "HAO"
happy.gif

Heheh, actually i dunno how try the chinese chart is leh. cos i found 2 charts with different resutls
sad.gif
so i also dunno which to believe.

I read from other threads that to conceive a boy, besides depending on DH sperm, mummy needs to be more alkaline in order to attract the boy sperm...is this true?

Also, the more chance to strike a boy is to BD the day before O? is it right to that the day of O, the BBT is the lowest? so by monitoring the BBT, we can then use the OPK to test? OPK +ve results is 12 hours prior to O?

bena
according to cynthia, it true on the alkaline food. but come back to think of our parent when they try to have bb, don think they did all this which we are doing .

to wat i understand, higher chance to BD on the day of O but can also try with the day that have lowest BBT which is before/near the day of O.yap,have to do it within the 12 hours when OPK is '+'.

re chinese chart
me too , i just the one that show me got boy de. is this call cheating myself? hehee

hahah! tess, u very cute...i also wish to believe the one that tells me i will have a boy :p

Ok. I haven't used OPK before...so i dunno how to monitor the interpret the result of the OPK. OPK are soooo ex in SG...
Isn't lowest BBT = O day? O day BD still got chance to conceive meh? Tot O will only last like 12 hours and it takes 8+ hours for the sperm to reach the egg?

3bears

Hb's diet is just as important coz it's his sperms which are the ones to decide whether it's a boy or gal. You are just creating a pro-acidic or pro-alkaline environment conducive for the male/female sperms.

hi mummies
i m from Oct'08 thread, just happen to see ur interesting topic.
i had bb gal for my #1 last yr, i used OPK to test my O day but still get a gal. hope can get boy for my 2nd
happy.gif

i also dun believe the sequence as HB is the eldest son & i have a bro on top too
maybe i can chose to believe the chinese chart, at least its accurate for my 1st
i have a lobang to get a cheap Ovulation strip, any mummy keen to buy can PM me
happy.gif

Hi 3bears,
My gal has stopped waking up in the middle of the night for milk. She still wakes up ~1-2 times but i can pat her and she goes back to zz in abt 5 mins, so I'm really happy.. =)
Hope you manage to stop latching her in the middle of the nite... Feed her till she's full before sleeping? Wow! What's your strategy to bottle feed her at night? My hubby and I tried last night but she just refused to drink and cried herself to zz. Was worried she would wake up in the middle of the night to feed so I ended up nursing her instead =(

Haiz I also feel very sian to TTC w/o menses. So much unknown. =(

Hi mashy
I'm a super meat eater as well, but my first also a gal, so doesn't seem so.
Haha I didn't know that we shouldn't BD too often to conserve the male sperms. Tot BD > means chances to conceive higher since I dunno when I ovulate =p

mummies, what does BD stand for by the way? I can guess the meaning, but can't figure out what it stands for. Sorry for asking such a silly qn =p

oh no,did i have all the fact wrongly? it happen to me when ttc for my 1st one hence took 6mths then have my bb.

don BD too many times ,must let it have enff time to rest,machine also need rest mah. moreover is ur hubby bro.

lolli, BD = Baby Dance
happy.gif

I also read from other forums that if you want to TTC for a boy, then few days before O don BD, to conserve the the sperm...then BD on the day before O or on the O day itself...

bbgoh, you got lobang for cheap POK ar? how much izzit? I never try OPK b4, but the clearblue ones sold in pharmacies are SO EX!

Talking about the eat meat thingy...i always tot is hubby should eat more meat so that they are more acidic and mummy should eat more greens so more alkaline? but all these also like not very accurate leh. My cousin (male) doesn't eat veg at all, but got 3 girls...hahah! whereas my uncle who doesn't eat meat at all got 2 boys :p

lolli

it takes 2 hands to clap. The hb needs to produce more male sperms while the wife needs to create an environment conducive for the male sperms to survive. If the wife's too acidic, all the male sperms will also not survive long.

I am also trying for a boy leh, fmy gal already going to be 3.

so the conclusion ifs for hubby to eat more meat?

Hi ladies, long time never log in... been busy with work & tired at nite...

Yeh... my menses finally returned today! Probably cos I've stopped latching my girl at nite, but still continue to latch her in the morning. But now tat menses is back, think my supply should drop soon, and should be able to wean my girl off totally soon.

Lolli
My girl has no problem taking bottle cos she has been using the bottle to drink expressed BM since 1st month... and my girl prefer me to feed her bottle than my hubby... so case quite different from yours.
Your girl still refuse the bottle? Guess there's no better solution than to keep trying and dun give up.

So many people want a "HAO", me too!
happy.gif

this month is the month for boy according to the chinese calendar leh..

I am still confused about when it is the best time to bd.

can advice?

for boy, does it means hubby take more meat, then wife more veggie?

Hi ladies!

Hee I havent been logging in as well... busy busy.
How's everyone doing?

Any good news to share? hehe

3bears
I've stopped latching my girl totally since last Monday. She's "amazing", at home it depends on her mood whether she wants to take the bottle anot. But every time we fail to bottle feed her, we bring her up to the nanny's place (who lives a few floors above me) and she "transform" to a different gal and takes the bottle (we bring it up) and drinks. Sigh... looks like an environment issue =p. Last night I successfully passed her the bottle and she finished her milk. Hopefully it will continue and I dont have to bother my nanny at night. Feel quite bad =p

My menses hasnt returned though =( but will continue to try, haha hopefully catch the 1st egg hahahahaha

Jazz2
I am also quite confused on when to BD too haha...

But I guess at the end of the day, it's more impt that our babies are healthy more than anything else =) but I also WISH for a HAO

=)

Hey, I understand your frustration.

My hubby and I tried more than 8-9 months but we didn't have any luck! We were so frustrated that we became desperate.

Finally, we consulted my Gynaeclogist and she recommended this book: "Be Pregnant Bible".

It's really like a gift from God! Because of the book, we already have 4 children!

Here's the site:
http://is.gd/n7ua

Hi, Anyone tried to TTC while undergoing dental treatment? I've stopped BF my no. 1 last month and my menses returned early this month. I've got a dental minor op scheduled for late Apr and my dentist said it's good for me not to TTC until after the op. I don't think I will strike so fast. But I want to try for a boy and according to the gender calendar, I've got to try in March. If not, it'll be a gal for the next 7 months if I am successful. Don't know whether to try for march or not? :p

Hi I read this somewhere and I hope these informations are helpful!

1) sperm containing Y chromosomes (boys) move faster than X(girls) chromosome carrying sperm. For this reason, couples who wants to conceive a boy have intercourse no more than 24 hours before ovulation to no more than 12 hours past ovulation.

2) Deep penetration from your partner will deposit sperm closer to the cervix, allowing the more aggressive Y sperm to get a head start in fertilization.

3) Evening Primrose Oil supplements are thought to help women conceive sons by increasing the production of higher quality cervical mucus. Many women also believe taking Guaifenesin tablets during the five days before ovulation will help thin out cervical mucus that is too thick, thus improving the odds of conceiving a son. Potassium supplements are also sometimes said to benefit women who are trying to have boys.

It’s strongly recommended that you discuss your plan with your health-care provider. Many over-the-counter supplements can cause unintended side effects or interactions with other prescription medications.

Change your diet to include lots of red meat, salty snacks, and cola soft drinks.
Let your partner initiate sex and focus on his pleasure. If the man climaxes first, you’ll conceive a baby boy.
Schedule your lovemaking sessions for odd numbered days of the month.
Have sex at night, preferably when there’s a quarter moon in the sky.
Have as much sex as possible, since many people believe more boys are conceived during the “honeymoon” phase of a relationship.
Have the man drink coffee before sex, since this causes the sperm with Y chromosomes to become more active.

http://pregnancy.lovetoknow.com/wiki/How_to_Conceive_a_Boy

Hi Pauline

The gender calendar works for 2 of my friends but turn out otherwise for me and my other friend.
But if you are not in a hurry I rather fix my teeth first than to have complications in relations to my tooth during pregnancy.

;)

thanks LY for the info.

I am very confused when its a good time to BD leh. anyone has the ovulation calender

Pauline

Why don't you try for march, in line with the calendar. In two weeks, you will know whether to go ahead with the dental surgery....*smile*

Dear Mummies/ MTB,

Recently I had a VERY BAD encounter with Philips Singapore’s Customer Service regarding AVENT VIA Storage Cups.

I bought a lot of AVENT products during the OG 20% sales in Jan’09. I gave birth on 13 Jan & then started to use the product somewhere there then. One of the item I bought was the VIA Cups 240ml/8oz & 160ml/6oz bundle of 10 each in the box. The first few 6oz cups that I used have no leakage. Few days ago, I used one of the 8oz. I was surprised that it leak so I checked the cup. There was a needle hold at the mouth of the cup. The rest of the 9 cups also have the same problem. I believed this is the plastic molding defect. So I called Philips Singapore to check whether I can exchange the unused cups as I can’t use a defect item to store my BM & for sterilization.

The CSO who attended to me was Michael. He gave me a string of questions & asked for my receipt. I told him that I had thrown away the receipt. The stupidest thing is he even asked me how to spell the product. I told him that’s his product & he should know what that is. I already told him the remaining 9 cups are new & untouched, yet he kept asking me how many times have I used & where did I store it. Obviously unused items are in the box! He said with no receipt, there is nothing they can do as it is proof of purchase. He even suggested me going back to OG to reprint the receipt. I told him this is OG not any small shop that can trace backdated receipt. All he kept saying is “No receipt, they can’t recognize the item.”

I was angry as the product defect is due to the manufacture’s fault & in the end it become at the expenses of us, the consumer, I can’t even exchange the product.

I demanded to speak to his manager. His manager, Aaron Tan, again asked a lot of questions & said the same thing to me. He kept saying the service centre do not warranty items without receipt & it is very difficult to convince the service centre of the defect. When I asked him, “How do u warranty a plastic cup?” he did not answered my question & keep talking about the receipt. He also asked me did I check the product when I purchase. Items were all in box & sealed. Was it possible for us to check before buying??? Once open, its considered sold, isn’t it??

Here, I would like to emphasize that what if it was a gift? Do people buy gifts for others & leave the receipt in it? There is no flexibility in the way they deal with defect products. AVENT is AVENT from Philips, is there any imitation? If no, y can’t we exchange the defect products? If I had used it even if it was the manufacture’s fault, I will not ask for an exchange. But now, it is untouched, moreover, it is not cheap. Average per cup is $1.50. If there is no QC assurance on AVENT products, are we the consumers still able to trust them? For all we know, we will be buying defect products WITHOUT assurance & no exchange policy.

I am very upset & disappointed with the way they treat consumers who trust them. They breach my trust on their products. Therefore, please check all items from Philip Singapore if you are to purchase in future, keep the receipt as you may not know they sell defect items. My advise, best is don’t buy anything from them as the customer service or service centre have very bad way of treating the consumer.

For me, I will never trust them again. Never, again!

hi gers,

just wana check with those who have tried ovulation test kit. If my kit shows positive, does it also mean i have got egg?

Back