(2009/11) November 2009 MTB

Hi, I am looking for mums for a survey for 20mins. Token - 30 bucks NTUC voucher. Criteria is you must be user of Abbott brand of milk formula, e.g. Gain or Similac. This survey will start from next Monday, 15th Aug. Anyone keen just sms me your full name, your age, yr hp no., your baby age and brand use. My hp no. 97640028. Thanks, Sally.

Cljl, mine latch 15 min but can see her suck n hear swallow.
If she suck to fall asleep, I will unlatch after 20 min.
Dun let her suck for comfort, bad for nipple too.

Mummies,
Do u give supplements to your kids? I bought childlife colostrum n multi vit. Cos both got flavoring.
If put in milk, wil kid get used to the nice flavour n reject plain milk or water???

Kimifin, u mean u Onli latch both side 15 mins each? Mine Duno Isit slow drinker anot... She drinks vey long Bt when she stop, I unlatch she will fuss n open her mouth big... For the 30 mins each side, I can hear her swallow n sometimes she even got choke...

Kimifin: Congrats on ur new gal! I use Childlife colostrum and add it into milk. So far no probs. I know of other mums who add to the milk too and no one seems to have any prob as yet. =)

Cljl & Kimifin: Congrats on your new born! Me expecting my #2 in a few weeks time too.

Kimifin: I just bought the Childllif colostrum + probiotic for #1. Add to milk should be ok but i plan put it in plan water to make it like juice cos it says pineapple & orange flavour.

But i also giving #1 Echinacea + Vit C & Zince under Yummi Bears brand for #1. 2 gummy per day for 10 days then stop for 10 days. Supppose to help boost immune system.

Cljl and Kimifin, Congrats on your new born! Do you hire a confinement lady to help?

My #2 will pop this Dec end, i really wonder how my life will be (my #2 will be 2yrs old then) very excited, looking forward but also a bit worried, hopefully i can still cope...
happy.gif

i wanted to start my #2 on Appendton mulri-vitamin to build up her immense system, she is going into cc in Oct... she try it before and like it.

Velo, thanks thanks! Congrats to u too! Anxious? Haha...

Clarin, congrats to u too! My mil did my confinement for me so save some money here... Better enjoy now till dec be4 ur #2 is out coz u will have no time! Lol... My #1 is a koala bear so have to entertain her sometimes..

Another question on latching... During latching, do u all press ur breast or u juz let Bb suckle without any help? Sometimes she cry and fuss on my left side...

Cljl and Kimifin,
Congrats on your #2!

cljl,
Dun have to press during latching, bb will do the work. Did you check if your left side milk is flowing smoothly? There was once my boy also fuss at one side and i find the milk flow was slower, nipple was blocked. So just need to use hot towel to massage and it helps.

Thanks all n nice to know many mummies expecting again!
Cljl, shE drks a side each time, eg left 10 min then 2 hrs later, right.
No need to press unless u got block ducts.
Life with 2 is v v busy! Hub n I have to take turns to bath, eat n got toilet! We are still adapting..

Taurus, thanks! E prob is my flow in e left side is more compared to the right... Even at the beginning also no need press? Coz sometimes she can't find... For e 1st 10 mins, she didn't fuss, after that she fuss.. Isit becoz she finish the left and wan to switch to the right?

Kimifin, u mean u taking care of them both alone whole day?
I let her drink 15-20 mina each side.. N can last 3 hrs.. Then when she fuss, she cry and all e milk inside the mouth all spit to my whole face lo...

cljl,
Like kimifin said, if no block ducts no need to press. If your breast dun feel full like inflated balloon and there's no more let down then she probably have finish so want more then have to switch side. Hmmm..... but what do u mean she can't find?

Taurus, no block ducts at all and most of e time I feel it's quite full..

Hmm if dun press, u al dun hold n position e breast to their mouth?

Can't find as in she move n move then can't find e nipple.. Mine is very short..

cljl,
You need to bring bb to ur breast not the other way, if not latching position will be incorrect. Use your thumb and index finger, each finger on each side (top and bottom postion) of ur nipple and both fingers push outwards, this will help to lengthen the nipple a bit. The nipple should aim the baby's upper palate, then bring baby to your nipple. During my #1 I also had problem latching so this was taught by the lactation consultant who came to my home to guide me. Or you can try using breast pump to suck out the nipple then feed her.

cljl, Actually we don't really have to switch side during one feed. For both of my kids i don't switch side. They are full with just one side. I have read from books that it is enough. I don't switch because both will fell asleep after suckling on one side. So difficult to wake them up to latch again on the other side. So i let it be. She just need to keep suckling and your body will produce enough milk. PD commented that they have very good weight gain, so confirm no problem. But you have to remember which side you feed, cos the next feed you have to offer the other side.

Taurus, I tried to lengthen but it didn't lengthen alot.. Wat I did wan I use thumb n index, press e nipple and put it in her mouth then she began sucking... Is this wrong? Nt sure if e position. I carry her is wrong coz I dun hv problem on my right... N I dare nt let er suckle too long on my left as I had very bad sore nipple 2 wks ago and it still did nt fully recover.

Bidosoh,, I use to feed her on 1 side when she was rill abt 3 wks old. After tat, nt sure isit she slp n latch n she had nt enough on 1 side and moreover, my left niPple hurts. So

After 20 mins, I change side.. Nw I'm thinking if she fuss, izit becoz she is full and WANs to stop but I still ask her to suckle?

cljl,
You are having sore nipple may also be an indication of wrong latching. The correct way is always to bring the bb to you. Perhaps when you pressed ur nipple, u should bring her mouth to ur nipple. Incorrect latching will also result ur bb unable to clear ur milk and unable to get the hind milk which is more filling. You need to let her fully clear 1 breast before you switch to another if not ur breast will not produce more milk. Some babies have bigger appetite so they need to drink both sides. If nothing works, perhaps you should get a lactation consultant to guide u.

Taurus, ya... Is just the left side... Nw e nipple have almost heal.. For the 1st 10 mins I can hear her swallow the milk, after that, she slowed down...

For the left, I wil press and squeeze the nipple into her mouth and she do the job herself. I have no prob with the right.

You mentioned that she need to clear 1 breast be4 switching to e other side. I can feel e breast goes tender after 20 mins of latching. Means she has cleared? Then I switch to the other side. After latching both side, I will pump out the excess. Is this correct?

cljl,
Yes need to clear 1 breast before switching, this is to make sure that she gets the hind milk. When breast becomes tender and somehow inflated, it means somehow she has cleared. Yes pump out excess will tell ur body to produce more milk.

cljl, what i do is i will let her suckle on one side while i pump on the other side. This will trick the breast that I have twins. So it will produce milk for feeding twins. Then i will freeze the milk for future use. At least can keep 6 months.

Taurus, bidosoh, thanks for your advise!

Is there a limit to hw long for her to suckle on 1 side? I feel she is quite a slow drinker... For the 1st 10 mins, she suck
Very fast then slow down... N sometimes to make her suck faster, I press e breast to let the milk flow faster...

I shld not do it right?

After feed, I pump only abt a total of 60 left... Guess I will need to pump n keep coz nw I pump N throw..

Cljl,
I m taking of no.2 full time, #1 goes to cc n mil fetch him to her house for dinner, then hub go n fetch him.
So weekends is v v stressful for me!

May I ask, I got some lumps at armpit cos when supply came, I din not clear my boobs so the lumps are there, not painful, no swollen anymore, but is hard n stubbornly stays there! Shd I really try to press n squeeze so that they will go away or after I stop BF then will go away?

cljl,
I dun think they should latch too long cause may become suckling for comfort. Perhaps not more than 20 mins each side. Actually even you press your breast the milk won't come out very fast, when let down then the milk will gush out unless you got blocked nipple or ducts.

kimifin,
Best to massage with hot towel and remove the lumps now. Its not good to leave lumps in your body for too long.

Hi mummies, glad to see a lot of bf sharing here. I was not successful for no 1 and hoping to be able to make it for no 2. Can I ask, if we pump, do you add on the milk to same storage bottle? Or each time must use different storage. My 1st one, the milk not much so I add on each time. Is this ok?

I don't think I experienced let down in first bb. Is let down the same as the time when we feel our milk dripping out (I only experience this in the early morning as I don't do night bf).

Kimifin, ya quite tiring... Im taking care of #2 myself nw... Wkends also quite tiring for mi too...

My massage lady told me tat milk will always come in ard armpit side so we shod massage there to soften and break the milk.

Taurus, ne every morning, she drink 5 mins then slp, bt when i put her down, she fuss and cry. After thatni latch back she slp again... Very frustrating ah! Then after a while latch back again then she started to fuss... Nw I also nt sure if she is full, or too hungry or my breast too full to latch... Help...
N due to my left side nt yet fully heal, I dare nt let her latch too long...

cljl,
U need to wake her up to feed when she fall asleep at your breast by rubbing her feet, palms, anything to make her awake. Dun put her back to the cot when she fall asleep at your breast, wake her up to feed, make sure she get full feed. My girl last time also like this, always fall asleep at my breast. The lactation consultant also had a hard time waking her up.

kimifin, cljl,
So both of you are full time SAHM now?

GG Lee,
For what i know when u pump must always use a new bottle. Dun think can add on as is different pumping time. You should have experienced let down for ur #1 if no let down there won't be much milk.

No, but I will be taking no pay leave til bb is over 6 mths old.
Now already passed 2 mths, kinda routine n bored.. Hee..
Maybe cos bb stil small cry sleep feed, so bored.
I dun thk I can be SAHM, Taurus, u r right?
How to cope?

Taurus, Tks. I only managed to get about 50ml max each pump last round. V miserable. End up sold away my freestyle cos no use for me. I remember initially I still experience like milk flowing out early morning, which makes me wake up but maybe as I dun latch/ pump frequently and totally skip night feed slowly no more. Now expecting no 2 hope will b able to do better this time.

Taurus, no matter hw I rub my breast on her lips, she wun wake up... I put her beside me, she wil stretch till she wake up and cry then I continue again.. Gt o repeat this cycle many times.. Tis morning it took mi almost 2 hrs to feed coz she keep on slping! Arrgh!!!

Mi ft wrking ah... Nt so shiok be sahm... lol...

Kimifin, whoa u take no pay to take care of Bb.. Gd leh... U can enjoy more bonding time with your Bb...

Gg lee, for my #1, she refuse to latch after 2 wks so I ft Express and supply was very gd... Can go up to almost 1.8l a day n I pump every 3 hrs.. So if u wan to gif Bb ur bm, gt to be very hardworking and pump even in e middle of e night...

Now for #2, after latch, pump out nt much so I throw or wash my face... Hee...

Cljl, Tks. I was not v hardworking in bf for no 1, din pump at night at all. And for me first 3 days totally no milk at all lor, whereas for some mummies they few days b4 give birth already got milk. So really not much confidence in the first place. Worse when I try express and see so little, start to wonder when bb latch actually managed to get any milk or not. I heard supposed to see milk when bb latch but I dun think I saw. And was so paisei when I pump and put in fridge as it's so little. Mil also commented like y so diluted one. So in the end gave up v fast. Doesn't help I was c section also. I hope this time I will do better.

Bisodoh, hi! Yes I remember u. Been reading a lot of useful tips from u on parenting and breastfeeding.

GG Lee, Jia you this time. I think 50ml is good enought for the first 2 weeks. I think as long as baby is not crying for milk you should have enough. Even if he is crying every hour just feed on demand. That is what happen to my girl. She will latch only 3-5mins each feed. So she gets hungry fast. She demanded to be fed every hour. While my older boy will feed 15 to 30 mins and will only feed every 3 hours. Its ok was long as you don't mind. I don't care what others say or what the book says. I also c-section for both of my kids. Even the nurse at hospital said I should not be feeding, i should be resting. I just don't care, i feel that my body can manage. But in hospital I let her mix formula and bm. After the first time i felt engorgment, i stop all formula. BTW, she grows out of hourly feed and need feeding every 2hours after 2nd month and 3 hours after 3 or 4 month. So don't be compare, just be sure of what you are doing.

Anyway from my own observation, the earlier you start latching the earlier your milk supply will come in. I delayed latching my 2nd bb. I fed her after 6hrs delivery. Then my milk came in on the 6th day. While my first bb, i latch within 2 hours from delivery and my milk comes in on the 3rd day. So if you feel that your body can manage, just demand feed. I don't listen to formula is better/thicker theory. I am very sure that bm is the best.

Your milk is diluted maybe it is the foremilk. The hind milk hasn't comes in yet and you have already stop pumping. Do just keep pumping. even pumping nothing is also ok. Just pump at least 30 minutes per session. Initially you will definately pump nothing. Nvrmind, just keep pumping and you will surely yield the milk. One good way as i mentioned is to pump one side and feed one side. As you baby suction is very strong, he will let you have 'let-down'. That is usually the start of the hind milk, which is rich and thick. I use manual pump when i perform simultanous pump. However when my bb is bigger like 5-6 months, she will start snatching my pump. So I can't pump simultanously anymore.

Actually, my girl's latching is also wrong. Even now she is not latching correctly. Lucky for me, she very gentle when comes to suckling. But then it is true that enforcing correct latch is important as i also get sore nipple occasionally.

Sms me or call me if you need to talk about bf after you pop. Hope you still have my number. If not i sms you. I still have your number.

Gg lee, oh Ic... My mil also commented at 1st tat milk so little but as time goes by, it gets more n she commented y so much n het fridge has no space...

Bidosoh, can I ask u something... As u mentioned be4 Bb shld be full if they can clear 1 breast.. Tia morning, I feed her at 850 to 930 for both sides and up till nw, she onli suckle 5 mins and cry and when I unlatch, she feels better.. Is it becoz she is stil full? Nw and then onli latch her 5 mins and she refuse... So I shld wait for her cue? N her tummy seems big n full...

Gg lee, oh Ic... My mil also commented at 1st tat milk so little but as time goes by, it gets more n she commented y so much n het fridge has no space...

Bidosoh, can I ask u something... As u mentioned be4 Bb shld be full if they can clear 1 breast.. Tia morning, I feed her at 850 to 930 for both sides and up till nw, she onli suckle 5 mins and cry and when I unlatch, she feels better.. Is it becoz she is stil full? Nw and then onli latch her 5 mins and she refuse... So I shld wait for her cue? N her tummy seems big n full...

cljl, yup, if you feed on demand you can base on her cue. However, you should bear in mind not to stretch more than 3 hours for each feed. As that is the rough time each milk feed will be completely digested. Since you mention you have already filled up the fridge, it means that you have alot of supply. So his each feed now is actually more than enough. I guess he is filling up his clothes very fast too :) Actually you can give the milk to your elder gal too. They usually prefer the non frozen one. As it is sweet. If she doesnt take, you can add milo or abit of choco favouring. Don't throw lah, milk powder is so expensive nowadays. Can enhanced her immunity too!

cljl, forget to mention that as they grow bigger, they also suckle faster and taking more with each mouth. So 5 minutes may really be enough.

Bidosoh, yesterday afternoon her feed was abt 5 hrs stretch.. I gave her 3 hrly, she suckle for 5 mins then cry big time... I stopped for a while then wait for her cue again..

N yeap, she is filling her clothes faster than her Sis..

U mention as they grow bigger, latching tine faster.. Becoz they suckle faster with bigger mouthful? If it's 5 mins, he to gauge if they have enough? Tender breast too?
I gave her last time then duno isit my hubby gave her e earlier batch which had slight smell then she vomitted out n she refused milk at al times after tat.. Haiz.. Nw to ask #1 drink milk is like killing me...

cljl, wet diaper is an indication. Moderately wet diaper every 3hours is indication. Of course tender breast. Don't worry, if they are hungry, they cry more then they are full. They know how much they want. Sit back and relax.

Bisodoh, thanks lots for the info! V useful. Will try to latch on demand and pump diligently. Yes, I suspect I din manage to get the hind milk last round. And I get discouraged v fast when I couldn't yield much.

Will mentally prepare me to be more ready this round
happy.gif

Bidosoh, thanks! yeap.. needs to change her diaper plus minus 3 hrs.. so it means she is drinking well..
happy.gif

thanks so much for your advise...

Help!!! Feel like throwing the white towel to go onto ft bottle feed instead of latching....

Nw after 5 mins, she cry n cry... It's nt tat she is full... I shuf her head to my breast, she turn n turn n fuss!!! Arrgh!!!

I tot of giving bb FM if i m going for a holiday for a few days when she is about 4-5 mths old, then will b my MIL helping out.

If she is going to wake up every 2-3 hrs in the nite, may need to give FM for convenience.
Anyone here got experience? will b reject my milk or latch after dat? day time will still let her take ebm.

so far, she is taking bottle ebm once every week...

When I latch her on e right, after 20 mins, I change over to the left, she cry big time! Is it becoz she is full or she haveb finish on the right?

Nw I'm afraid to change side becoz once I unlatch, she cry and refuse..

hello everyone!!!

today, my gal is 1y10m old!
i still latch her at home and no milk for her when she's at cc.
wonder how long she still want my breast. :p

Sorry to interrupt.

Oh, what a noisy zoo tickets.
=============================

May I know if any Mummy has 4 tickets on 23 Oct, Sunday, 11am that you are willing to exchange with me? I'll be most grateful for that. Or else I will just have to sell these 4 tickets and my kids won't get to watch the play.
sad.gif

I'm willing to meet you anywhere to do the exchange. THANK YOU!

Please PM me for my hp.

Hi mummies,

I would like to know, how many of u are showering with your toddlers?

I am bringing my son to the swimming pool.
Yest was at the changing room and he saw me changed, n make a notti laff, u know "shame shame "...but i told him, this is mummy body.

so i quickly get changed.

after swimming, i got bathed 1st while hub looked after him. then i shower him, but i got wet cos he is still scared to go under the shower.

hmm, i wanted to let him get used to me showering with him around, but worry that now he is starting to talk, may babble nonsense to others.

wat can i do?

Back