(2009/06) June 2009 MTBs

Saw HB cereal readily available at NTUC Finest, if anyone is looking for them...

Bluedream, I haven't really bought any kiddy DVDs (other than Baby Einstein which I bought when kiddo was only a few mths old). I think Youtube is brilliant hehe. So many options, and best of all, FREE!
biggrin.gif
Playing clips from Youtube on the laptop is a great distraction during diaper change hehe.

Mummies, are your kids already registered for nursery? Just curious, cos I'm in the midst of looking around...

Ken had the mmr + chicken pox vaccination last last sat. Developed fever 5 day after, n now the fever is gone but his body got a lot of red dots. The clinic nurse just said monitor. Any babies having the same issue?

<font size="+2">Greetings from Fotographilia!

We are having a promotion for weekday studio sessions from Monday to Thursday, 10am to 8pm, at $180 for 20 soft copies edited and printable to S8R size!

Do call us soon for a booking soon!

Visit us at www.fotographilia.com

Promotion is valid till 15th of November!!!
</font>

Dolly - My kid had red rashes after his fever. But the rashes went away after 3 days...

Tubby Mummy - i havent registered my kid for nursery. but i intend for him to go to school around 2 to 2.5years. So i think i will to register him when he turns 18 months. if the school u are looking for is v popular such as st james, then u have to register NOW NOW NOW....

hi everyone.
congratulations to those who r pregnant with no. 2/3 now. and also to those who have given birth.

its been a long time since i log in.

Trey loves the music dvd from babyTV and also watching sesame street. currently trying to let him watch Baby Can Read. so far he is able to follow but not sure if he knows how to read yet kekeke. yet to try.

oh ya! i think i met one of june mom at the east coast polliwogs sometime ago. but is not sure so did not say hi... my bad
sad.gif
pardon me.

Toffeecat: Yay! Our new house almost ready! We are going to be neighbours real soon.

hi mummies,

just wondering what age does our kid attend nursery?

and how long does your child take to fall asleep..?
My boy takes abt 30-45mins rolling ard before he falls asleep.. and that's very long?
the time starts after I switched off the light and kiss him goodnight.. ie that's after the bath, reading and night bottle.

hihi mummies,
long time noone post photo, I wanna post this, Cayden's first trip. A short one, 2n cruise...

Future Entrepreneur in making??? :p whaahaha

4559003.jpg

Ah Ching, my boy can take more than an hour and a few nursing to go to sleep...

ecmon, yeah Cayden look so mature huh! They have lost the baby look now!

thanks BlueDream

Dolly,
Same Cayden weight gain very slow, he was 7kg+ at abt 5mth but we weight him last week only 9.3kg...

hi all mommies!!

been reading this thread and thanks for keeping all updated on your kids' development.

i am based in beijing so had had difficult posting comments and ended up giving up posting. i am back in sgp with my girl currently so wanted to drop a note to say hi.

my girl, @ 15 months, weighs about 9.5kg and that was with her shoes on. She had been gaining weight very very slowly since birth.

i am also wondering at what age do you send your kids to nursery. am looking at options now cos am planning to return to sgp end of this year and my parents in law will not be helping to look after her.

Think nursery starts at 24 months while playgroup sarts at 18 months. Anyone sending kiddo to full day playgroup/childcare at 18mths? My mil doesn't want to continue to help look after Kate when she turns 2. I got offered a placement for playgroup in the school we like and the school term starts in jan. Difficult to get placement so wondering if I should wait to see if can get placement for the next intake or to take it up now and put Kate in school 6 mths earlier than we need to since we got help until she turns 2. Worried that she's too young to cope in full day school. The teacher student ratio is 1:6. Definitely not so much personal attention than at home where the ratio is one babe vs 2 adults. To go at 18mths or risk not getting a placement later?

Hi Kate,

IMO, think u should take up the placement now.
But u can put her half day and get your MIL to bring her home for the other half day.
That way your MIL can get some free time...
And u can allow your gal to get use to cc slowly..

Hi dolly and bluedream, do u think there's any other way to let our little buds fall asleep easily?

I cant imagine what will happen next year when my No. 2 comes and I need to spend so much time to get my boy to sleep..
The prob is my nanny says he'll fall asleep within 10 mins for his daytime naps!

But during the weekend when I care for him, he'll take 30-45 mins to nap.
And he naps only 45mins unlike the 2x2 hrs that my nanny claimed..

bbPP, ya a couple that I have looked at, they're already on waitlist. Also heard that St James on waitlist already... I didn't want to be KS about this whole school thing, but it looks like we're left with not much choice but to do so sometimes!

ecmom, wah, Cayden does look like some big boss! Hehehe... I almost took up a cruise package for the long weekend in Nov also. But now ended up booking to go Bintan. It'll be S' first time on a ferry
happy.gif

Ah Ching, my girl also takes anywhere between 15min to 1hr to fall asleep. If very super tired, straight after her milk I will sing to her and she will fall asleep within 5min. But these are infrequent, maybe once every 2wks??

dolly, 10kg is very healthy for our kids' age, so don't worry! S isn't even there yet haha

autumnberries, welcome home! If I'm not wrong (and experienced or better informed mums pls correct me), nursery starts in the year the kids turn 4, K1 is 5 and K2 is 6. They start P1 in the year they turn 7. Some schools that offer child care facilities start at 18mos. Otherwise, some other schools start at 2yo for play school. That's what I've come across so far anyway. Except for EtonHouse (not sure if all branches are the same, but I looked at the Broadrick one), where their 2yos are in N1, and their 3yos are in N2, and their term starts in August. I may put S in there, but I'm still shopping around.

katelee, HI!! *wave*
happy.gif
I would just take the placement too. And yeah, Ah Ching's suggestion sounds good, you can work in a transition period for Kate to get used to things. And hey, ply her with good stuff before she goes to school, hopefully that'll give her more ammunition to fight the many kiddy germs I'm sure she'll come across. I'm not looking forward to that bit of sending them to school, the frequent falling ill and what not...

hi Ah Ching, yes will mostl likely take up the placement and pay the one month unrefundable doposit.

hihi Tubbymummy, good to "see" ya here. what types good stuffs to give huh? suggestions?

Can't go for half day it seems like (to me lah) 18mths a little too young to take school bus. Am not sure if Kate will do well in the school bus with only one auntie to take care of the whole bus load of little kids. Besides, with half day still need to be dependent on MIL and also the maid since MIL can't take care of Kate herself. So i guess it is all or nothing. If wanna take away the dependency on MIL, the only option is full day childcre. haiz. headache!

Kate Lee and TubbyMummy, thanks for the info.

Our tot at this age is really fun to be with isn't it? I see my girl doing new things and picking up words left right and centre.

Kind of tired cos woke up before 6am to get ready for work today. Chat more some other time.

Hi Mommies!
It's been a long time! Yes, i am one of those who has gotten a place for my girl to start full day child care come this Dec when she will turn 18mths .. well, she actually will only turn 18mths end of Dec .. so i'd appealed for early entry as we want to slowly ease her in (half day) in Dec when my hub is able to be around to see her to &amp; fro school. They wrote in (appeal) to MCYS and gotten the approval so my daughter will presumably start first week of dec.

My daughter is going thru the phase of not needing her morning nap ... tho she sometimes still needs it ... as in she'll get tired, yawn and needing to nap .. but a short one. In any case, I try to ensure that she do her afternoon nap .. cos that is what the centre timetable would be .. and of course also that, they, at this age (between 16 to 18mths onwards) will drop the morning nap but still need the afternoon nap.
What i try to do is to occupy her more in the morning (like bring her out and tire her out!!!) so that she'll do her afternoon nap ...

Hi Ah Ching, my boy usually takes 30mins-1hr to fall asleep as well. Unless he is tired, then he will knock out in 15mins time.

My boy has fever since last fri till tis morning. Gone up to 39.9 a few times. Been to the PD twice, taken blood &amp; urine test. But there is nothing wrong. Suspect the fever is due to the molar teeth.

Seems like alot of mummies are 'shopping' around for childcare/playgroup, which i havent. Lazy mummy...

Hi autumnberries!

hi beemom... 39.9 that's very high! teething can cause such a high fever?

I think can give some ling yang to bring down fever.. quite effective but cant drink too much.

Take care!

New Mom! I was just thinking abt u this morning.. ha ha

Anyway I havent bring Ben to the jab yet.. anyway we can delay until 17 months, 1 month before the 18th month jab.
Just brought him for his hernia surgery last month so must wait for the wound to completely heal. Sigh.

Not looking forward to the jab as the mummies feedback will get fever and spots.. yikes.

hi newmom, my girl xenia has taken her MMR jab already. The side effects usually happens on day 5-7 and I was all prepared to rough it out again when the fever kicks in. However, this time round, she did not have a fever. Her appetite wasn't great (but she was already like that before the jab) after the jab.

She had very very slight bumps on her face but not sure if it's due to MMR.

On day 8, her appetite was really good! and she became very active and happy.

Also, she did not cry at all, just a bit tensed when the jab was done. Before the MMR jab, the PD asked me to hold her close to me and that probably calmed her heaps. So it was very different from the previous 6+1 jabs when she had to lie down and with me kind of holding her down.

I was really apprehensive about the MMR jab cos there are studies which link autism to MMR. But am glad that she had the least reaction to it.

hi beemom! I was reading the forum quite regularly but stopped reading for a while about one or two months ago so kind of lost touch with which mom is which. ;p

Hi to autumnberries &amp; all mummies too!

Ah Ching, my girl had high fever 8 days after her MMR jab but doctor says the fever was also due to teething.

Ecmom, Cayden looks cute!

http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/581296/4570409.html?1286165963

Hi mummies, anyone want to share this with me? i only need 1 pair of the tiny bites scissor. Pls Pm me if keen.

Jayden tking long time to fall aslp too. 30-60min. i tried not to pat for a week then i gave up cos it tk more than an hr n usually i simply dont have the time to wait. I can't leave him alone to slp he will wail or end up playing... duno when these patting can be stop..

Hello to you Autumnberries!

Oh no, ANNticipating ... it must be heart pain seeing her go thru the process! I've not brought my girl for MMR yet ...

Ah Ching - hi hi thanks for thinking of me! Oh so can wait ah? At least i got time now! haha ...

Createjoy - maybe you can try pat him but 15mins lesser than usual. Then slowing cut 15mins more .. till he gets used to not being pat?

autumnberries, yes it's thrilling when they're suddenly able to just spout words easily all of a sudden
happy.gif
But this is also a trying time, when they're trying to assert their independence and test their limits. Public tantrums...very loud and embarrassing ones...
embarrassed.gif

newmom2009, hi hi! My kid started going to 1 nap a day a couple of weeks back, did that for a week or so, but has suddenly reverted to needing 2 naps again. Shall just let her take her time in deciding when she's ready to transition. But in the meantime, it's frustrating cos I wanna sign her up for classes, and don't know which time slot I can choose... And yep, she took her MMRV at 15mos+.

beemom, 39.9 IS very high for teething fever! Hope he's well now... *magic kisses!*

MMRV - Kiddo didn't react to it. She ALWAYS has fever after jabs, so was very surprised that she escaped fever this time. Another friend's baby who always has post-jab fevers also went "scot free" this time. autumnberries, yes I was also a bit scared cos of all the hearsay on autism. The studies were subsequently disproved (or at least denied credibility because of dodgy methods used or something), but as moms, we would still worry. Am so glad that so far, her behaviour and abilities seem fine.

wah i din knw dat MMR jab side effect is autism...hmmm, my boy had his jab when he's 15mths le. no fever no rash too...

but he has jus recovered from a high fever of 39.7. gosh, first time he wailed like made at the PD. den after fever gone, alot, A LOT of rashes appeared on his tum tum, back, cheeks, arms.
sad.gif
hope they all go away soon.

my son is on a food and milk strike... so difficult to feed him.. he will shake his head when i bring the spoon to his mouth... not sure whether its because he is teething... this is so fustrating
sad.gif

hi bbpp.. think food and milk strike usually cos they reaching a new developmental milestone.
So let's look at the bright side of things
happy.gif

My boy has developed red cheeks with no rash.
slight fever and congested cough.
anyone experiencing this.
will be bringing him to PD later, hope it is nothing..

And thanks for answering my query on the time to get to sleep.
At least now I know it is quite normal for them to take such a 'long' time to get to sleep.

Now I have another qtn.
Recently my son has been climbing onto the sofa. or pulling out my coffee table and touching the dvd player etc..
He knows how to get down from the sofa but I'm afraid he will fall cos he like to stand up and jump.
I've tried smacking him to tell him not to do it a few times, but he cant seem to understand..

Does anybody has a suggestion to tackle this?
cos even if I guard him 24/7, he will throw a fit when I carry him off the sofa.

plus, my tum is getting a bit big to react quickly.

came back from PD.
My boy has erythema infectioum.. slapped cheek disease.
wonder where he got it from.. sigh.
PD informed me that I should be quarantined from my son as fetus is at risk if I get the virus..

hi mummies,
my boy has recovered.
happy.gif
back to his active self.
but he has been throwing tantrums almost everyday (not 100% sure if they are tantrums, he will cry n wail over small matter). i'm losing my patience over this.

tubbymummy, thanks for your magic kisses.

bbPP, your boy's food strike could be due to teething as well. just look out for it. my boy's food intake drop when he is teething.

ah ching, hope your boy will recover soon. oh dear, have to quarantine from your boy! bet is not easy to.
i also have the same problem. my boy also climb all over the place, play with the hi-fi, fan etc. i told him NO, cun touch this n that, tried to beat his hands, but all doesn't work.

TubbyMummy - hi! Speaking of asserting their independence, my daughter's taking every chance to say "no-no"!
Nap time - yeah, they are stil adjusting. Best is like what you said, to go with their flow ...
Maybe you can sign her up for the morning class since she will, well in any way drop the morning nap. When my daughter is outside, she will fight her way off the morning nap even when she is tired! For afternoon time, i let her know i am in-charge and insisted that she sleeps ... not that i am successful all the time. But she does get some sort of nap time in the afternoon .. so i shouldnt complain!

ahnetsan - hope your boy is ok/better now!

Ah Ching - pray that B gets well soon! Take care of yourself too!

Toddlerbed - Ah Ching - i have been looking for one too. Well, we plan to just upgrade her to the adult single bed .. but want to get one with a side guard. Have not seen one but have not been active in finding one ... our target is to get it done end of this year.

Beemom:
Tantrums and touching of untochables - will work if you persist .. and yes, it take lots of patience. i learnt that it is best not to beat them when they are below 2. What we do is we do a tight squeeze on her hand (strong enough to make her feel discomfort but not strong to feel the sharp pain) ... and tell her no .. and we isolate her in her day cot (with no toys, no nothng) and set a timer of 10mins. When the alarm goes off, we make her apologise and reiterate what was wrong. It take a few times to get that into her head.

re: MMR
my gal had the vaccine 2 weeks ago and developed fever 5 days after that even though previously she never had fever after all her injections. but she also had running nose and cough. so maybe she caught a flu that day at the PD. The PD warned us that after MMR vaccine, their immunity is not so strong for a month after the jab, so better not expose them to too many ppl. cos i asked him if it was ok for us to bring her for trial lessons after the injection. she's still recovering so haven't gone for the trial at kindermusik yet. Any mommies her bringing their kids for lessons there? any feedback?

re: Sleep time
ya, my gal sometimes also take 30mins to an hour to fall asleep. that is when she wants to sleep. otherwise she'll cry to be carried outside or she'll try to get down the bed to go out and watch her mickey mouse cartoon or play with the cupboard. sometimes my hb will just ignore her crying and pretend to sleep or wait until she forgot why she cried or maybe she gets it that it's sleeping time and she'll fall asleep. feel really heart pain seeing her cry like that. sigh.. sometimes when she's really tired, like if she missed her afternoon nap, she'll fall asleep while drinking milk and with me singing to her.

think now is the stage they are transiting to one nap a day. so the recommendation is to alternate one and two naps until they transit.

MaryG, yeah! we're gonna be neighbours really soon! but think i'll probably be moving in in March cos i'll be delivering in late Feb.

Ah Ching, a bit late, just saw your post. I was going to say it's probably Slapped Cheek Disease! Also known as the Fifth Disease. Suddenly became so expert in this cos S was also suspected having it. They really look slapped, right? Haha... so funny. But we couldn't confirm if hers was this disease or whether it was an allergic reaction to something she ate, cos she was ill, and had a long bout of rashes, diarrhoea, and I still stupidly went to give her new food to try. Oops
sad.gif
Can I check, how long did your boy's "slapped cheeks" last? Doc said if it's really the disease, it should easily last 1wk or more, but my girl's face went back to normal after around 3 days. So now still scratching head as to whether it really was or not... Btw, by the time your boy's rashes appear, it's too late to quarantine liao, cos he is no longer contagious. He would have been contagious during the incubation period of the infection... That's what I was told / found out anyway.

Ahnet, did J get roseola? Sounds like it...

newmom2009, how nice that your girl apologises! I tried the squeezing hand trick, it doesn't work for my kid. Sigh. And yes, they love the word NO don't they?? Kiddo wanted to watch clips on Youtube nonstop, so after a few clips, I slowly lowered the volume, and shut the laptop. She screamed "NNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!" and absolutely wailed. Very drama. 20min tantrum.

toffeecat, my girl had cold which progressed to full blown flu, to allergies to medication, to possibly Fifth Disease, all one after another. The moment she started recovering, I started giving her probiotics and Sambucol. She took her MMRV jab 2 weeks after she recovered, and was fine. I think the probiotics and Sambucol really did help to improve her immunity. Perhaps you can try giving to RX if you're comfortable with it
happy.gif

Hi tubbymummy,
the rash on my boys cheeks are still there but not as red.
The redness lessen ard 3rd day.

I did not quarantine myself but am ok. I was very diligent in washing my hands with dettol often.

Actually the disease is just like a serious case of flu right? My boy is still having runny nose and coughing with a lot of phlegm now.

My boy hasnt learn how to say No.. ha ha..
probably cos I avoid saying No to him..

Ah Ching, I'm not sure if it's kinda like a serious case of the flu. My girl had what seemed like a cold round about the time she would have caught the infection (about 1-2wks before the rash came out). But then, she really did catch a bacterial flu from another kid she had played with (PD did a bacterial swab that came out positive), so we're not sure if the initial cold symptoms were really a cold, or if it was related to the Fifth. Haha... It's always confusing these days, cos everything seems like they could be realted, or could also be coincidental.

Hope your boy is feeling better now. You take care of yourself too, best not to fall ill while pregnant! Glad you're so diligent with hand washing and all
happy.gif

hi TubbyMummy,
Can kids below 2 take Sambucol? thought Sambucol for Kids is for kids 2 years old and above.
What kind of probiotics are u giving to S? Any recommendation and where to get them? I am thinking of starting to beef K up for childcare in Jan as what you have suggested earlier so need recommendations
happy.gif

Shermin, I buy Nordic Naturals Baby DHA from iHerb.com. Never tried Childlife Echinacea though.

KateLee, the Sambucol I gave S is the one from UK, and the feeding guide says 1-6years: 5ml. So that's what I gave her for 2-3wks. I've now cut down to giving it to her only on alternate days or so. http://www.sambucol.com/index.cfm?id=530&amp;pid=4

This BP: http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/581296/4088820.html?1287288758, is offering free courier if u buy any 3 Sambucol pdts. Check it out if you're interested. I believe she sells the UK version that I mentioned above, but maybe u can confirm with her.

For probiotics, I bought BioGaia from the PD ($40 a bottle!). It's suspended in oil, and it's a tiny bottle (maybe like eyedrop bottle size?), and it needs to be refrigerated because it contains live cultures. I also gave her this same one when she was recovering from stomach flu previously. Once I finished 1 bottle, I gave her cheaper stuff haha! Bought Neobiotics from Guardian, $10+ for a box of 10 sachets I think. I've now started giving her Nature's Way Primadophilus Reuteri which I ordered from iHerb.com. I now give it to her on alternate days only (or longer if I forget). http://www.iherb.com/Nature-s-Way-Primadophilus-Reuteri-Superior-Probiotic-5-oz-141-75-g/4676?at=0

Another popular one is Childlife Colostrum + Probiotics i think (not sure what exact name is). GNC sells it, but it's lots cheaper to buy from overseas. I've not tried it personally. Yes yes, I think our kids need beefed up before attending school! Not sure if it'll really help, but perhaps we feel better for it haha
lame.gif

HI Tubbymummy,
Will BB get diaper rash if taking probiotics?
My boy gets diaper rash everytime I give him yoghurt.. so not sure is yoghurt same as probiotics?

Is fish oil same as cod liver oil?

And will we overdose our BB with all the good stuff? cos I am giving him the HB cereals and Isomil so already got added DHA and Pro &amp; Prebiotics..

Back