(2009/05) May 2009 MTBs

re when to see doc
i will oso monitor for 2,3 days.. and also see if he's still active and playing or not..
coughin i will see whether got alot of phelgm or not.. if got phelgm will be more concerned..

re : baby coughing
my boy also cough for few days le..see the PD and take his med. recover for 2 weeks then now come back again..haiz..why our baby keep coughing..worst is they will cough till vomit kind very scary..

jasc, oic..only once i went to see GP then he gv antibotic cos my boy got throat infection..but seems like my boy dont like the smell and nv take the med at all..

re when to see doc - i oso wait and see first. i've stocked up on cough, cold, fever med at home. so will administer med and see how. as long as bb's basic functions are ok ie can eat, can drink, can sleep, can poo, can urine, usually no worries. but if bb is sluggish, then better go c doc. usually, normal cough and cold with no fever can run up to 10 days or so.

dun say babies... even adults also easily get sick nowadays.. the viruses now are more rampant.

more so with the unpredictable and extreme weather now..

Porky

Some antibiotic very difficult to swallow, a bit sandy, even my 4 year old also refused to take. If without antibiotic, the healing time should be longer. Depend on individual parents, some parents will protest when their child is prescibed antibiotic.

Re: when to see doc

Lately my baby developed high fever and I don't have medicine for high fever, I brought him to doctor on the same day when the temp is above 38.5 degree c, requested doctor to prescribed neurofen for standby just in case the temp shoot high at night.

Dear Mummies,
Just brought my son to PD this morning, he also has running nose and coughing. Virus season I guess.

Can all mummies advised what is the weight of your precious now? PD told me their weight has to be trippled by 1 year old. PD took Jayden's weight this morning at 9.2kg. Is he underweight? Some mummies advised me to mix brown rice into his last feed at night. The brown rice powder with si shen powder from Eu Yan Sang. Has anybody try that before?

thanks mummies... will get my mum to monitor my boy.. coz i oso sick now..
sad.gif
but seem like he is more active today than yest.. he also got cough, fed him med already better... hope everything ok tom!

shirley, i think the weight wise varies among the babies.. i tink as long bb is growing is ok.. my boy is only 9.4kg at 11mths. think some bb here already over 10kg..

Thanks Ling. I get worried becoz now every baby you see outside are all chubby chubby looking and mine is skinny looking. I do admit both me and hubby are tall but would be happier if he can put on slightly more
happy.gif

Jayden is already taking 3 meals a day with cereal in the morning and porridge for lunch and dinner, yet still the same.

Wish Kayden speedy recovery.

re: when to see doc
mummies, thanks for sharing!

porky, PD also din give yuan2 antibiotic -- he prefers to give mild medcine as bb is still young... but takes longer to fully recover
sad.gif

haiz, yuan2 juz recover from cough n runny nose for 1 week n it is back! like never ending... m so tired! afraid my work will be affected if i keep taking leave...

sallen, yes, i prefer to be on the safe side, too...

jasc n feb_mum, last nite, yuan2 started to hv low grade fever (due to teething??) -- but subside after paracetamol... this morning she is well enough to go IFC -- "keep my fingers crossed" yet to receive call from IFC... strange thing is, she is as active though her cough n runny r bad -- hubby cannot believe that she is unwell :p

anyway, as a precaution, we will bring her to see PD this evening...

re: eys si sen fen
shirley, my girl is 8.5kg but almost tripple of her birth weight of 2.884kg... dun worry too much abt weight if he is growing well -- eat, sleep n play happily
happy.gif

as for eys si sen fen brown rice, i added that to my girl's last feed during her last growth spurt but din help to curb her hunger -- still wake up at 4-5am for milk... was hoping she can tahan till 6-7am...

Thanks mummies for your advice. Wishing all babies speedy recovery so we can have our already partial beauty sleep than now! I have been waking up almost every hour to his dream yells or when pacifier drops out!

Mummies, do you think pacifier make the teeth crooked? Jayden has 3 on top on 2 below now. Trying hard to stop the pacifier as he still cries when I pull it out.

Hi porky

heee Good stuff will share with you all.

Because I felt is painful to see our little angel when sick n we since like helpless sometime n wish that we are the one to be sick rather than they have to suffer through the illness.

brought Yuan2 to see PD n came back with a bagful of medicine
sad.gif
he said yuan2 has phlegm in the lung n prescribed antibiotics(augmentin)... m sceptical abt giving that to yuan2 as there is amoxicillin which i m allergic to -- not sure whether yuan2 will hv the same allergy... plus the known side effect is diarrhea...

mummies, any advice -- to give or not to give?

Guess it's really virus season and I was so sick the week before and whole of last week was on leave, got better but 'gd' fren visited me agn n I'm seeing my gyne later for medication agn.

Seriously need another round of antibiotics. My gal has recovered n it's my turn to get sick. Sigh.

sk - hope all's fine. do take care. must 'bu' yourself.

shirley - yes, pacifiers and thumb sucking can all lead to crooked teeth. my older gal has 2 crooked front teeth from her thumb sucking. for pacifers, you can get those that are orthodontic ones. but i'm not too sure if they really help in preventing crooked teeth. my #2 uses the pacifer, so i got the orthodontic ones to play safe. she haven't sprouted much teeth yet, so can't tell.

adv sport - did you tell the pd that you are allergic to that med and there's likelihood that yuan2 might be allergic to it too? usually they have other alternatives right? i find that pds tend to be more 'daring' in giving stronger med whereas GP will try to give the really mild ones for kids. so usually kids recover faster with the med from pd but take longer time with med from GP. i find dat when the med is strong, my gals will tend to break out in cold sweat. so i prefer to give the milder ones and supplement with vit c and eachinea.

adv_sports

Last time when my girl was a baby and took this antibiotic, she too developed diarrhea but we still let her continue ..... she's usually better when she's completing the medicine. Now the same medicine she's ok, no diarrhea but she hate it very much.

adv sport,
that mean yuan has cough v long? coz just brought kayden to pd.. she said will prescibe antibodies if din recover by 5days (fever) n 2wks (cough)..

feb_mum, i didn't know the content of the antibiotic till i did an internet search after we came back from PD. if i know it, will let him know...

wat kind of vit c and eachinea do u give ur gals? where did u get it?

i find it puzzling that he saw her 2 weeks ago n he said the same thing abt phlegm in lung and need to put on neublizer... but hubby was not with me hence he gave me the oral medicine (sachet for anti-allergy) -- yuan2 did get better... this time, he didn't say need to put on neubilzer but suggested giving antibiotic.... he did prescribed the oral medicine which i gave yuan2 last nite. oh, he predicts yuan2's cough will get worse in the next few days and take abt 2 weeks to fully recover... let's hope yuan2 will recover sooner -- she seems better yesterday, good appetite n v active
happy.gif

jasc, beside diarrhea, i m afraid she will loose her appetite after taking this antibiotic... once off medicine, her appetite will be super good! anyway, i will monitor for the next 2 days -- if the oral medcine works for her, then we will not give the antibiotics... if we give the antibiotics, i will stay home with her to watch for any allergy/diarrhea...

re: pd or baby-friendly GP in JW
any JW mummies saw the doc @ this clinic?
Family Doctors at 365
365 Corporation Dr #01-407
Singapore 610365
Tel No: 62652968

i read in an old thread(2007) that the doc is baby friendly but not sure whether he/she is still there... my mum asked me to change doc as the medicine from PD doesn't seem to be effective... my 1y2m nephew saw the GP downstairs and recovered from cough after 2 days...

ling, no leh.. yuan2 started slight cough last thurs, had bad runny nose n cough on sunday, then developed fever on sunday nite... her fever subsided in the morning...

sher recovered from her cough 1 week ago after taking the oral medicine...

adv_sports

My children go to 'my family clinic' in cck, in bedok then they'll go pd esp for vacinnation. So far I find the medicine prescribed by GP and PD almost the same for baby. There is one branch in pioneer mall for my family clinic and can use baby bonus nets to pay.

jasc, yes..the antib tat "my family clinic" in sengkang prescribed one is sandy texture which jaeden hates it...i try to mix it in his milk and he only drink a few mouth..i use syringe he will spit everything out...

adv, once i saw the PD at garden clinic...i feel that he gv quite strong med for cough and phlegm..must take continous for 1 week..i say that cos his med is all different from GP gv..not those normal ones..but he did recover aft 1week..now his cough seems like back again..dunno shd bring him back to the same PD or not..

regine, ya ya..good things must share with us here ok..hehe

sk, wat is 'gd' fren visited me agn ? blur...

shirley, my bb on pacifier since 2mths...i find that his front teeth no crooked but hv big gaps inbetween his 2 front teeth...zzzz

Hi adv_sports

That time my girl have phlegm and GP give a medicine that makes her vomit out the phlegm. She even get worst for that n all milk was thrown out.

Therefore, I went to Eu REn Sheng and bought a cough powder for cold cough (Which Phlegm is white n transparent) if I not wrong. U can ask the sales personel.

So after taking half the powder with water mixture. Her Phlegm reduce 70%. N gets better. The other half. finish before her sleep n she gets even better the next day.

Hi Mummies, reading all your post about cough & running nose.. Just to share my thoughts on these.. I think TCM is better then western med in coughs & running nose..

I read from this thread very long time ago about this Yu Guo Chinese Physician and that time I brought my bb to see the Chinese physician when he is still coughing with phelgms for 2 weeks, after took PD med also did not recover.

We went for the bb massage consectively for 3 days and applied the belly yao bao (the chinese herb is in the belly belt, no oral med at all) for 1 week and my boy recovered.

Everyday, I will let my boy take EYS Bao Ying Dang (just little bit of the powder) as a preventive measure.

Adv_Sport, your nephew is home care or in IFC? I feel that cannot compare home care with IFC because bbs in IFC tends to fall sick more often. Sometimes when they about to recover, they caught the virus again in IFC..

Liping, what is the cough powder from EYS which you mentioned?

Thanks feb mum. Tried giving her porridge yesterday and today. Eat really little. Milk intake also dropped by half. Each day can barely make it to 500. She also refused water totally. So worrying. Should I force her to drink water by pumping the water down her throat? I know if I do that she will cry badly.

Her weight is dropping a few hundred grams. She was 9.8 5 days back now 9.715.

adv sports: Augmentin is a rather strong antibiotics though is was safe for consumption when a mum is breasfeeding, not too sure whether it is too strong when fed direct to a kiddo.

Selling 1 unopen GNC Childlife Essential Fatty Acids Natural Butterscotch flavor.
Expire date: 23 Oct 2010

For infants 6 month old up to 12yrs old kids.

Product detail: http://www.childlife.net/node/53/

Original price: $ 43.50
Selling cheap now: $ 35

Pls PM me if u keen. Collect at my blk (hougang). Thanks!

adv sport - i get from overseas spree - vitacost, GNC also sells but very ex. see links below:
http://www.vitacost.com/Childlife-Echinacea
http://www.vitacost.com/Childlife-Colostrum-Powder
http://www.vitacost.com/Childlife-Liquid-Vitamin-C

ilovesashimi - ya, it can be so heartpain when they eat so little and lose weight. but like adults, their appetite will be poorer when they are unwell. juz give wat you can. you might wan to give water at intervals via syringe. a little bit at a time so that she doesn't get too upset.

Febmum > thanks!
happy.gif
must recover first then 'replenish' what have been lost.

Porky > 'gd' fren = sickening flu virus

luckily the lil inside me still fighting hard lol but also mean more straining for me. I'm practically using my mouth to breathe the entire of last night n she's been disturbing my sleep. So deprived if sleep now.

adv sportS: the pd u regularly visit is dr lucky? his med nt so effective?

feb mum: the links u provided, all these supplements u gif to rebecca and rachel or is only suited for rachel's age only?

Hi adv_sport,
My gal was coughing on and off from the point that she started CC. Hmm..6 months in total i think. She has taken all sorts of cough medicine: Ventolin, Salbutamol, Flumicil (reduce phelgm), Augmentin, Nebulisers and Inhalers etc. Even my helper was able to decide what to give her at times depending on the type of cough: Dry vs Phelmy.

Chinese medication: I also make cordyceps drinks for her. Think it was more to "bu" their lungs since they coughed so much.

I have concluded that it is no point making them take so much medication. Just let the body fight the illness. Unless the cough is so bad to the extent that they develop bronchitis, i normally leave it alone.

Hmm..thinking back, i think the inhalers were the most effective of all.

Re: Pacifiers
My #1 took pacifier until 2.5 YO. However, her teeth are perfect leh..My #2 has no pacifier, but she has 2 big bunny teeth!!

Re: Cruising ard..
Any babies who are walking ard liao? My gal has been walking in and out of the rooms, machiam like playing hide and seek..But when we let her wear shoes..she will not want to walk as much..Anyone who experiences the same thing?

pastries..how much bao ying dan do u give and when..now i wanna try the bao ying dan method first before resulting to the antibiotic..

adv sports, i gave jsutin antibiotic once (got the oxymilin thing..its powder n add water one) ...when he caught his first illness at ifc just before CNY..coz its the CNY, i decided to adminsiter...guess wat..after finish the course..still running nose n cough...then when he got his vomit n diarrhea, the running nose n cough went away...

then now suddenly he got it back 2 weeks ago...then introduce zytec coz i ask GP for stronger one...then the running nose stop..but the coughing n phlegm still there..so now i stop all western medication n start on bao ying dan...
for cough n his sleep....

coz to me the western medicine not much use...
if i can go the yu gou, i also wanan try ..baby massage sound shioks..!!!

pastries, is there a long queue etc??

Poohwei: What I know is when your milk teeth are perfect, most likely the permenant will be not so nice. When you have big bunny teeth (like your #2) with gaps in between, the permenant teeth that comes out will most probably be neat and nice.

The theory behind it is that, milk teeth will drop one at a time. So when one of milk teeth drops, the tooth space plus the additional gaps means there is enough space for the bigger perm teeth to grow, hence it will come out straight.

poohwei,

my boy is not walking yet, but i let him wear shoes coz i let him play his ride on outside on the playgrd area....

the first time i wear it one when i first bought, he keep crying n wanna take it off..

then second time , is when i want to let him play outside..so no choice..need to wear..after a while he seems ok with the foreign object...

now he knows where i keep the shoes some more..i kept in the storage compartment in the ride on..nowadays...he knows how to open up n pull out the shoes...

think he knows what that for...
happy.gif

think audrey's andrea is walking already...the rest are still on fours

Jaime, is you boy coughing now also? Hmm, the bao ying dang I gave is only like 1/5 of the bottle, cos is for preventive measure. I give it anytime of the day as long as don't clash with gripe water (my own theory, not that I know whether it is really so) Yest I bought from EYS again, the sales staff gave me a list for the dosage amount. If bb is unwell and 1 yr old, can give 1 bottle. But I still won't give so much. Have you already let your boy took Bao Ying Dang or thinking of trying it out?

Yu Guo bb Tui Na
Yes, the queue is very very long. On the 1st day, I went very early, reached there around 15 mins before their opening, so I don't need to wait for too long, then the Physician said is better to do it for 3 days, so I took q number for next day, once reach, can go in liao.

The place is very very crowded! Actually it is quite chaotic & noisy.. because they do not have curtains separating individual massage bed.. But the effect is really good.

Re: Pacifier & Milk teeth
My mum also said the same thing as bean! My boy is on pacifier, his two upper teeth is crooked, wide gap in between and the teeth also angled outwards wan.. I used NUK pacifier. My mum said once the milk teeth drops out, the new teeth will be swee swee..

Re: bb walking
My boy only starts to pull to stand and cruise little bit nia.. Hee..

sk, oic ! hahaha..hope u recover soon as ur due date is quite soon right ?

bean, so now my boy's teeth has gaps inbetween..then the next new teeth shd be neater ah ?

jaime, michie's gal also walking non stop le..saw her did that in KP so cute ! hehe

re : shoes
i let my boy try on a pair of shoes at home last weekend...he hate it and wants to pull it out..mayb not ready yet..

Oh, I go to Yu Guo too. It's usually very crowded but when I was there 2 weeks ago on weekdays, there was hardly any queue. I was there 3 times that week and was surprised each time by the short queue. During my maternity leave days, it was crowded on weekdays too.

Weeknights are super crowded though. But I enjoy going there, cos can see lotsa babies and sometimes very fun to see who cries the loudest. My baby won the last few times.. haha. No worries, the massage is not painful. But I must say it's quite inconvenient to go there cos need to go frequently for the massage.

Juju, oic.. did u feed her cold fruits / yogurt? My boy IFC teacher told me not to feed him yogurt cos too 'liang' for bb at this age, they will get running nose & cough easily. So I have not feed my boy yogurt. His previous IFC feed the bb yogurt sometimes, and I recalled he often had running nose then.. But not sure it is pure coincidence??

Maybe u can give EYS Bao Ying Dang daily, just small dosage will do.

Jaime, me also agar agar wan. haha!

Lush, I don't enjoy going there leh, cos is inconvenient and very chaotic to me. My boy also cries loudly too, yes, you are right, like crying competition there! lolx!

You brought your bb there for massage also?

for yu guo.is ther like a better physician of the two? or similar?

i cant envision how they massage the baby? how the bb keep still?? so its not shiok for baby in that sense?

juju, mine also.2 weeks on western medication also no diff..give until sianz liao..doc says since alreayd a week, need to give antibiotic..whihc i didnt..

for running nose, i diligently put baby vicks after shower, before sleep etc , n let them adminster at IFC..cough n phlegm , that part helpless...now i trying bao ying dan...

Jaime, I think I read from other thread seems like Huang Yi Shi is better.. But that day is Xu Yi Shi who saw my bb. We carry our bb while they massage, yup, bb won't keep still lor! Because now our bb can recognise ppl & places liao, and over there like 6 or 7 massage bed in one room so you can imagine is very chaotic. Almost all bbs are crying, haha! Only toddlers more 'dong shi' already will guai guai sit there for massage lor.

Bao Ying Dang is good when bb has slight running nose, I will ask the IFC to administer Bao Ying Dang when my bb has slight running nose. The Malay teacher very interested in TCM because she said western med doesn't work so well.

pastries / jaime,
no western med, no yoghurt. only the occasional apple when we eat. gosh! she dun like papaya like her daddy!
ok, i will try bao ying dan. how many times a day?

jamie_nov - all safe for our bbs. rebecca normally gets her cough and cold from rachel, who gets it from cc. so i give rachel colostrum and vit c daily to boost her immunity system. if she's well, rebecca will be well. rebecca will only take the supplements when she's unwell.

Juju, I only gave once per day. But they have dosage amount when bb is unwell, tonight I go home and look at the paper and let you know, ok? If for general preventive, I ususally gave half teaspoon of the powder.

I am thinking of buying what feb_mum posted. :)

pastries,
ok. think i will start jodie tonite.
this morn asked ifc, got 3 bbs hving cough & runny nose but recovering. i think jodie caught frm them

Back