(2008/12) December 2008 MTBs

Jazlyn,
where did u buy the band for the pants? I was looking for it at some maternity wear shops but too bad they don't sell. So now I'm using a cheapo method to hold my pants' buttons - ie using a small hairband to go round the buttonhole then hook onto the button. And must cover up with a longer top.

fabbie

... mine is the 9th of July ... only then will I know whether it's a boy/girl as I don't have any appointments before then ... sigh .. can't wait!

yeah, I also don't mind whether it's a boy or girl even though I have 3 girls already .. I already packed up most of my girls stuff for my maid to take back to the kampung when she goes back for holiday .. I prefer to buy new (yes, I am a spendthrift) .. damn lucky the recipients ... clothes mostly new worn once or twice ... Ralph Lauren, Osk Kosh, Pumpkin Patch .. lol .. if my hubby knows, he sure kill me ..

fish therapy
I went for one earlier this year at Underwater World at Sentosa. That was quite fun, but a bit ticklish. I think it should be safe though, just that you should wash carefully after that in case the water is not very clean.

belly bands
I also bought the bella band. Found it at Maternity Exchange at Marina Square. I think it was 59.90 for one. But I found it to be very good. Can wear with my normal tops and pants. I only wash it about once every 1-2 weeks, depending on how often I wear it.

Other than Maternity Exchange, I'm not sure where else it is available. But there were a couple of BPs held recently for similar types of belly bands, so maybe you can look out for that.

detailed scan
I will be going for my detailed scan on 10 July. Will be at 19 weeks then.

Jowinbaby: Hee...I kiasu lah. But half-raw eggs maybe still be a bit more careful? Hotdogs, sausages and ham contain nitrites and nitrates - not very good for the little one. Take in moderation bah.

Bubble pearl, next time just tell your boss you're pregnant, doctor advise not to carry heavy things. Don't be sad *pat pat*

Carmen: Welcome! Wah, I miss travelling so so much! Last year hubby and I spent X'mas in Ho Chih Minh...such an eye-opener...and I loved the food!

ScarletGal, me too! I use rubber band...hehehe! Very useful leh.

By detailed scan, you're referring to the FA scan and doppler test? I'm scheduled for 24th July. Will be 20 weeks by then.

Spaghetti & Jowin: I think you're right...better avoid half-boiled eggs. Afterall, the yolk is only half-cooked.

Carmen: Welcome!!!
happy.gif
I'm not sure whether stretchmark creams really work but i still apply cos i'm scared i'll get them! Did your friends who got the marks apply enough??

Luthadel: ^5. Me too. I'm trying to brave through the pain and go w/o intervention, no epidural. I don't like the idea of the needles & IV drip sticking in me.

Jazlyn: I think the one at Heeren is now called Vil'age...actually still the same as Marche. We can go there too. I think Central/town location may be more convenient for all MTBs.

Hmm I'm afraid the Vil'age is past history. Hubby and I were craving for rosti about two, three weeks ago. Heeren's basement is ghost town now.

cannot eat too much sauages? that includes macdonald sauage mac muffin? i am still thinking to buy for breakfast tomorrow.

i have started wearing maternity pants to work. super comfortable cos sitting in the office whole day.

Hi gals, my gynae does not want to see me until 6 weeks later! So after my most recent appt (where I am still less than 16 weeks), I will only be able to confirm my baby's gender on 23rd July 2008. That's where I will be doing a detailed scan. Not too sure what it is, but the nurse say do at the Thomson hospital then see doc immediately after.
sad.gif
All the while, I thought 4 weeks was a long wait, now I really have to wait until flower wither liaos...

Mimi, I agree with you! Me got 2 pairs of maternity pants and 1 maternity skirt. Simply adore them cos they are SO comfortable. My parents and colleagues have been nagging at me not to wear too tight. In their words "NO GOOD UH!". When I ask "WHY?", I get "Urmms... UHhhhss..." and blank stares!

Adel, I also didn't know there was birth balls. Think water births are more popular overseas. I saw the final part of the birth process in a Nat Geo program called "Science of Babies".
happy.gif
I feel water birth is interesting and not all Singapore hospitals offer it. Think TMC and Glen are the two places that offer it.

Was talking to my mum about standing or squatting while giving birth (where mummy will be less comfortable) - aka the birth process you see in the Thai ghost show - Nak Nak? She could only tell me it's not too good cos the baby will pull down the womb. Dunno true or not leh...

My skin quite jia lat recently. I want to go facial but dunno where to go... Other than Rustic Nirvada that talks outrightly about natal massage and facials. Me now go Bioskin but the package finish liaos, so I can go to another facial place. Other than Leonard Drake? Anywhere else?

Paiseh for the long post.

Hey Snowger ... hey, you too? My gynae also doesn't want to see me until 8 weeks later ... that's when I do my detailed scan ... on one hand, you feel relieved cos it's damn tiresome going up and down for gynae appt .. waiting ... peeing on test stick ... only to see doc for a mere few min .. lol but on the other hand, you think, maybe if u see your gynae more, you'll feel less worried about things...

sigh

Ya, Pris and LuthAdel ... going with any epidural or any medication and even episiotomy has plenty of advantages ... I never regretted going through it 3 times ... but seriously, I think it's ok if your labour is long and u do end up asking for the epidural ... loads of women do it ...

Hi Ladies

Carmen: Welcome!

Re the gathering, maybe we can consider Marche at Suntec, or the Japanese-style one at the basement of Raffles City.

Morning Ladies.. Yippee.. today going to see my gynae!!

I'm ok for Marche coz we would definately find something we like to eat..

Raven, the one at Raffles City is called shokudo.. that one quite crowded on weekends coz its new. i went there last week.. i think Marche nicer..

Hi 2ndbaby, i see gyane after office hours.. its $10 extra.. so no need take leave or MC.. But gynae say if i go morning then she will give me MC.

Morning Mummies,

Can I join?

Name: Meowie
EDD: 30th Nov
Gynae: Dr TC Chang
Hosp: TMC

morning ladies..

Snowger was rite! Maternity pants are so nice and comfortable to wear...i just gotten one pant from Spring maternity at Tanjong pagar ytd w my friend while on the way to the bridal shop to help my friend view the gown...

I think better dont have birth plans better.
I believe in letting nature take its cause.

Some of my past friends attended the ante natal class..in the end when it really comes to the real birth process, most are actually at lost and become'blur' even for husbands.

So all in all. on the actual big day, see how it goes and then decide what is best. take it easy and enjoy the pregnancy.

natural birth
those thinking of going w/o epi.. it's possible but must really prepare especially thy mindset coz nurse/midwife will keep coming in to ask for ur pain-score and see if need any pain-relief..

there are many pain-reliefs apart from epi but heard that some isn't as good as epi..

the pain will definately be intense BUT it's bearable..
happy.gif

i went through the whole labor w/o any drugs.. dilated 3cm abt 11am during routine check so gynae ordered to admit asap.. was put on drips and water bag burst artificially to fasten dilation but i only popped 11.51pm! long labor but once baby out, completely forgotten about the whole thing! :p

my colleague who delivered a day earlier had epi and her labor was shorter.. i guess epi helps u to relax and dilate faster..

it all depends.. and sometimes how/when baby wanna come out is beyong our control.. unless artificial intervention is involved..

antenatal class helps u to prepare for labor w/ breathing techniques too.. but i resorted my own during labor.. found it more comfy.. tho it may not be the right way.. :p

just wanted to share..
happy.gif

Morning ladies
Hello Meowie, welcome
happy.gif

Pris
I just hate anything that is intrusive to my body unless of emergency etc.. Thats me lah, so I've been very straigth forward to my previous Gynae when he kept pushing me to go for D&C for my blighted ovum in Dec07, I just told him flat that I'll try to miscarried it naturally and in the event that are lots of tissue left, I will go for D&C to clean up. Guess what, my womb was so clean with natural miscarriage and I concieved my current baby 2mths after that
happy.gif

So I'm pretty determine not to have any episiotomy unless i'm going to tear badly.

Gathering
I'm ok with Marche too but the only set back is that they don't allow reservation. So imagine 20mummies queuing for seats and most probably we will be seated at different spots.

Dee
I totally agree with you that the baby is the real boss here hahaha, he/she will decide when and where to pop!

My previous gynae was trying to put me off having natural miscariage and trying real hard to convince that D&C is the way to go during my previous miscarriage he said that the pain would be unbearable etc (i.e. similar to 2nd stage in labour)BUT guess what, it was bearable.

luthadel,
sama-sama.. when i had missed abortion for my 1st preg (2006), also gynae asked me to go D&C.. but before that, i miscarried it naturally.. pain was intested.. till i was down on the floor flat trying to bear w/ the pain.. hubby also at lost didn't know what to do.. so decided to admit me.. when i reached hospital, no more pain and told him let's go home.. didn't wanna waste $$ and time to wait since my case will be considered elective (not emergency).. and gynae already planned a D&C if i didn't miscarry naturally.. during D&C to clean up.. he said it's completely clean.. i was there not even more than 10mins and i got wheeled out..
duh! shouldn't have gone for D&C instead.. :p my current gynae also said didn't have to.. that time gong-gong didn't know.. sigh!

hi meowies,

welcome!!!

ladies,

somewhere centralised is good. if i m not wrong, no reservation allowed for marche. so most likely modesto @ orchard. i will call them later to confirm.

bella band,

mine is loaned to me by my friend. u can purchase one from maternity exchange @ marina square. i think it's a better option, coz u can disguise it as a belt!!! if ur top is short, u can tie those chain belt around ur hip for disguise!!!

Mummies,

You can check with ur mum how is their labour when they deliver you leh... When i attended the antenatal class @ TMC for my 1st pregnancy, the parentcraft manager, Mrs Wong, told us that the duration of our labour will be almost the same as our mum.
Not sure how true though cos i went thru c-sect for my 1st one.

hello
actually it depends, some people had pitocins and waterbag burst but the labor did not progress and then end up with c-section. Usually from what i read, the rule of thumb is that the less intervention the better.
if you want to know if you have fast labor, you see if you can bend your thumb to touch the forearm). This was what my gynae told me... the ligament there is the same as the ligament down there and so if you can do that, you have quite loose ligaments and so your labor will be fast.
I can actually do that and so my first child's labor (from first contraction to delivery) was 3 hrs, the second one was 2 hrs and hopefully this 3rd one will be one hr.. haha..
My daughter also has this loose ligament so she will also have a fast labor in the future.
try it out!

eh, i also cannot touch my forearm!!
no wonder long delivery lah!!
hope after the 1st baby, ligament a bit loose liao.. so, hopefully 2nd baby'll be out ealier..
don't wanna delivery after office hrs also.. i think got extra OT charge..

Good morning ladies.

Carmen & Meowie, welcome.

The discussion is certainly going on very well here.

Dee, proud of you going thru labor w/o any drugs/aid. I for one opt for epi certainly.
BTW, do u know if RH offers water birth etc.? Was hoping they do as it seems more natural and easier.

LuthAdel, thx for sharing blog...very insightful.

Pris & LuthAdel - really marvelled that u are both going without epi.

Luthadel, oh, you try to bend your hand forward (like making the number 7 with your hand and forearm)...then you use the other hand to try to gently push the thumb to touch the forearm.. (like your thumb is parallel to the forearm).. when i say forearm, i am referring to the inside part, the part that is the same side as the palm. Know i mean?

Phylicia, if you cannot do it, nevermind lah, not say confirm will have a long labor or even c-section.

I am thankful that my labor were short. Otherwise, i would definitely have asked for epidural. Hopefully i can do it again this time too. I dislike epidural because i have a friend who had backache after using that and another friend's one side got paralyzed from the epidural. Most of the times, they are safe but there is still a tiny tiny tiny chance of something happening. I just dun want to take the risk.

thx, Tulle..
nope, i don't think RH offers water birth.. i also think it depends on ur gynae if they support alternative child birth.. i read from http://www.fourtrimesters.com that only certain gynaes/hospital recognize or 100% pro natural birth even for breech babies! there could be other gynaes out there too but not sure who..
gynae asked me to take epi so that delivery would be smoother but mentally alr decided not to.. i told him "see how" instead.. hee.. but he was very supporting during the whole labor.. even made me laugh when i was trying to push.. he said i can win oscar award coz i physically didn't push hard enough tho i may looked like i put alot of effort! the nurses also helped me push my tummy from both side when i start to push.. perhaps that also helped..

is ur gynae pro natural birth?

date of gathering: 5th July 2008 (Saturday)
time: lunch
venue: marche vivo

attendees:
1. Jazlyn - Jaz
2. Bubblepearl-Jojo
3. Raven_1313- Mabel
4. mum2ndx
5. llig
6. jowinbaby - Jo
7. LuthAdel- Adeline
8. Meilik
9. iemik0
10. mummy30- Angie
11. phylicia - ok!
12. mummyhamster
13. Cherbie
14. santorini
15. firstbaby
16. Snowger
17. Jacqueline
18. Pris
19. Carmen

put ok beside your name to indicate Marche can

morning ladies, I am from Jan Thread MTB. Can I juz check with u, at the 11 wks, did u go for OSCAR test or juz the NT scan?

Hi sperzz

Yes, I did go for my OSCAR test at TMC at around 11 weeks. But I understand you can opt for the NT scan too, instead of OSCAR.

attendees:
1. Jazlyn - Jaz
2. Bubblepearl-Jojo
3. Raven_1313- Mabel
4. mum2ndx
5. llig
6. jowinbaby - Jo
7. LuthAdel- Adeline
8. Meilik & Hubby & Son (3pax) - Marche.
9. iemik0
10. mummy30- Angie
11. phylicia - ok!
12. mummyhamster
13. Cherbie
14. santorini
15. firstbaby
16. Snowger
17. Jacqueline
18. Pris
19. Carmen

sperzz - what I understand that NT scan is abt 80% accurate and OSCAR 90% (cos there is a blood test included). Ladies, can someone help sperzz here?

I am not very good at this... So sorry...

Samantha, you got to wait even longer than me. It's exciting to go see doc, just to see how the baby is doing on the scan (Especially in 2nd trim, we seem to feel like we are not pregnant... :p).

mamamamia, does it matter left or right hand. Haha, me going to practise until can touch! My left side can bend more leh... *Winkz*

Sperzz, it depends on what your gynae recommends. I think some of the MTBs here only did NT scan. OSCAR is a combi of NT scan and maternal blood test which results in higher accuracy. NT scan will only scan and measure the thickness of the NT. If not wrong, NT scan or OSCAR has to be performed from week 11 and before week 14.
happy.gif
For me I did my on Week 12, day 1.

The NT scan and OSCAR are probability test on whether your bb has down syndrome. Typically a reading of less than 1.5mm for NT scan reading is considered low risk. Anyway, they will convert the reading into a ratio which will take into account your age (i think). For OSCAR, they will factor in your blood results and the probabilty/ratio will be readjusted accordingly.

For more on NT scan, see http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/antenatalhealth/scans/nuchalscan/

attendees:
1. Jazlyn - Jaz
2. Bubblepearl-Jojo
3. Raven_1313- Mabel
4. mum2ndx
5. llig
6. jowinbaby - Jo
7. LuthAdel- Adeline
8. Meilik
9. iemik0
10. mummy30- Angie
11. phylicia - ok!
12. mummyhamster
13. Cherbie
14. santorini
15. firstbaby
16. Snowger - OK (dunno if my hubby wan 2 come)
17. Jacqueline
18. Pris
19. Carmen

attendees:
1. Jazlyn - Jazlyn or Jaz ok!
2. Bubblepearl-Jojo
3. Raven_1313- Mabel
4. mum2ndx
5. llig
6. jowinbaby - Jo
7. LuthAdel- Adeline
8. Meilik & Hubby & Son (3pax) - Marche ok!
9. iemik0
10. mummy30- Angie
11. phylicia - ok!
12. mummyhamster
13. Cherbie
14. santorini
15. firstbaby
17. Jacqueline
18. Pris
19. Carmen

Raven,
Think you're right abt 90% accuracy for NT scan + blood test combined.
Can't recall that blood test is so ex! I pay $300+ for it! Felt the burnt in my pocket.. Ladies, how much is yours?

Tulle,
No water birth facilities in RH.
The part I like about RH is that u can check into the delivery suite immediately unlike some hospitals where u've to stay in the waiting room to wait for full dilation before going into the delivery room.

meowie,
my mom underwent c-section but my 1st one is natural delivery, not not accurate for me leh.

attendees:
2. Bubblepearl-Jojo
3. Raven_1313- Mabel
4. mum2ndx
5. llig
6. jowinbaby - Jo
7. LuthAdel- Adeline
9. iemik0
10. mummy30- Angie - ok!
11. phylicia - ok!
12. mummyhamster
13. Cherbie
14. santorini
15. firstbaby
17. Jacqueline
18. Pris
19. Carmen

attendees:
2. Bubblepearl-Jojo
3. Raven_1313- Mabel
4. mum2ndx
5. llig
6. jowinbaby - Jo
7. LuthAdel- Adeline - Marche ok!
9. iemik0
10. mummy30- Angie - ok!
11. phylicia - ok!
12. mummyhamster
13. Cherbie
14. santorini
15. firstbaby
17. Jacqueline
18. Pris
19. Carmen

attendees:
2. Bubblepearl-Jojo
3. raven_1313- Mabel (okie!)
4. mum2ndx
5. llig
6. jowinbaby - Jo
9. iemik0
10. mummy30- Angie - ok!
11. phylicia - ok!
12. mummyhamster
13. Cherbie
14. santorini
15. firstbaby
17. Jacqueline
18. Pris
19. Carmen

attendees:
2. Bubblepearl-Jojo
3. raven_1313- Mabel (okie!)
4. mum2ndx
5. llig
6. jowinbaby - Jo
9. iemik0
10. mummy30- Angie - ok!
11. phylicia - ok!
12. mummyhamster
13. Cherbie
14. santorini - o.k
15. firstbaby
17. Jacqueline
18. Pris
19. Carmen

Actually Jowin and I share the same gynae, but because of our age difference (i'm 33 while Jowin is below 30) he recommended different tests for both of us.

He recommended me to do the Oscar, while Jowin was recommended the NT scan only. Reason being as I am above 30, need to do more detailed testing, Oscar which included the NT scan and blood test. Jowin, i believe did only the NT scan only, no blood test.

I think that's the main difference between Oscar and NT scan.

Back