(2008/11) November 2008

nikki
me jus bot neurogain lor.. cos the capsule is smaller for me to swollow.. i tink quite a couple of mums here also taking neorogain cos they;re the one who told me that its smaller can go try it out.
 


nikki
The one given by dc jwong consist fo 350mg DHA, 73mg EPA, should be ok right? otherwise she would have given us another type.
 
peanut,
How much did u pay for the Neurogain? Is it in blue or pink box? I saw a new improved formula of Neurogain(pink box) and bought a bottle $38 at the Motherhood Fair. The gal told me that the improved formula not available widely outside yet. Am thinking of continuing w it rather than Dhaxtra. Worried on the EPA.
 
Nikki, i m taking Neurogain. Sometimes such studies only focus in one area. have to see the overall positive effects of taking the pill. don't over analyse cos i m sure there are exceptions in the the study.

Haru, cold ginger tea doesn't gel with me leh. i feel that since its supposed to be a warm tea (spicy), drinking it cold just seems weird.
 
peanut00
your rite, should be the same. Currently i'm taking folic acid,multivit and fish oil given by dc jwong. I realised different doc give diff medicine, like one of my colleague, her doc only gave her iron pills, no multivit.
 
mummy,
Based on the ratio of Dhaxtra, it's 10:2. Since Neurogain is 10:1, it should be better. I'm just worried on the increased blood loss during delivery. If there's a better option, I think we should change for the sake of our health.

JJmom, is yr Neurogain blue or pink box and hw much r u getting?
 
nikki
i paid ~$35 from NTUC heathcare pharmacy. Its the one in blue box. since its the older version thats y cheaper i gues.
 
umm.. dun worry abt dhaxtra.. a lot of other pregnant women r taking as well.. if really not safe or got serious side effect, it wouldn't be approved in the 1st place. i changed mainly becos its too huge for me to swollow.
 
nikki
blood loss, thats serious leh, i always feel myself don't hv enough blood, coz i feel fain easily. hmmm..like that i will consult dc wong and if it is true i will change to neurogain then.
 
mummy
i was only given folic acid by dr ong for 1mth leh.. after that she give me multivit then no more prescribe folic liao.. i tot its becos multivit include folic so no need separate prescription... umm... strange..

birdnest: me taking abt once/twice a mth.. stil dun dare to take too much since people saying taking too much in earlier mths may cause asthma in bb.
 
peanut, i also realised multivit got folic, i think i will finish the rest of it and don't need to buy anymore. btw what type of birdnest are u taking, those already reprocess one which is cheaper or original piece which is v ex? Coz the salesman told me all are the same except the feel when u r eating it.
 
mummy, I myself also feel tat already not enough blood so jus wanna be more sure. I'll also check w Dr Wong when I have my next check up.
 
yah i tink as long as multivit got some folic can liao. anyway they say it shd be taken before and during 1st tri.. after which it doesn't really help much already.

birdnest: umm...?? u mean i take the bottled ones or 炖one issit. i;ve been taking the 炖 one.. If this is not wat u meant then i'm not v sure leh..
 
haru..
u very steady leh..cold oolong tea..oolong to me is soo bitten & i cant appreciate it liao..u can take it aft every meal..but tea is gd bcoz u will feel less oily..lol..ah..i m sure u r feeling bb's movements liao..like gassy pops or fluttering, right? hee..
 
Hey guys don't go overboard ya? Meds have to be strictly checked before it can be sold in public. Blood loss is NOT now, but during labour. (if u are suffering from blood loss, u won't be here talking liao heehee) U can't feel anything now, even if the study is true. We are layman, prob dun understand half the medical jargon in the paper! I believe dhaxtra is safe and the diff btw Neurogain and it could be just manufacturing processes.

Nikki, if possible, can u leave the reference where you read abt ratios of EPA and blood loss here? Thanks!

Re: birdnest
I take it almost wkly. Cos MIL, Mum and I will take turns making it.
happy.gif
Birdnest is just proteins, the swift's saliva only, don't think it will affect the bb.
happy.gif
 
minkybear: I have migraine too. Have it all along but seems to be worst since I got preggy. What i try to do is take a shower or wash my face when I feel the migraine coming. If the pain is already quite severe, I take a cool towel and place it on my forehead. These seem to help coz sometimes our migraines are triggered off by heat & preggy women have higher body temperature.

Bear: Don't worry abt it being early to buy the necessary baby items (like baby cot). Sure have to use wad. And its better to buy when there is sale and whilst you still have the energy to go. My frenz told me that 3rd trimester we would have more problems sleeping & become very tired. Then, it would be harder for us to go shopping. However, those that you are not definitely sure you need can put on hold.

mummy: I am taking bird's nest already. Started taking since start of 2nd trimester but I make sure I take good quality one & not those that may be bleeched or have chemicals added. I get mine from a bird's nest supplier whom I can trust that the quality is good one. She told me that I can take once a week for now, then towards EDD take abit more. So I boil 1 piece each weekend.

wtan: Really ah? If they active in tummy then will be good when born? I hope its true coz my BB is super active and naughty in my tummy. I started feeling movement quite early. I think abt 14/15 weeks but was not sure if it was BB or me. Abt 16/17 weeks onwards, I can feel a lot of movement le. Now, my BB active until I very cham sometimes.
 
wah bear, u r taking birdnest weekly, u must be rich ya..haha. i will start taking it this week, most likely will take once every 3 weeks, as currently i'm also taking dry longan 炖 with white gao1 li4 sheng1
 
Fiti, may i know where exactly did u brought ur birdnest from and which type? As i'm going to buy it this weekend and will be the first time, no experience at all :0
 
bear, here's the paragraph I extracted fm:
http://1childnutrition.blogspot.com/

3. Highly Concentrated form of DHA (DHA: EPA ratio of 10:1) allows you to receive the full recommendation of DHA withouth the risk of receiving excessive EPA. Conventional fish oil naturally rich in EPA is not suitable during pregnancy and breastfeeding as may lead to increase of blood loss at the time of delivery.

It was mentioned in the earlier posting that it is blood loss during delivery and not now definitely. This is raising awareness and I believe it will not have an impact on everyone but may affect some people.
 
mummy:
I also have no experience so I asked my husband's relative who supplies birdsnest to hotels and restaurants. I buy 2 kinds: 1 is the kind that muz boil yourself and the other is the instant kind. If you want, I can pm you her contact.

Her prices are not necessarily cheaper than outside shops but the quality is better coz she is very particular about quality. The birdsnest she sell me all have the natural birdsnest eggy smell and taste de.

If you want to buy outside, just remember that too white = bleeched. Too nice smell = chemical added. Too regular looking = Remade with mould using egg white or other chemicals to stick.
 
Hi fiti, try sending u PM just now but it said u does not received PM leh. Could u uncheck the PM option on the preference first pls.
 
Birdnest
Was tokin to my colleague abt birdnest jus now... He told me 老行家and Horse Brand sell concentrated ones in a bottle. Just scoop a spoonful and take everyday... Very convenient.
T salesman told him no pt drinking one big bowl as our body cannot absorp so much nutrition at one go.
Tempting to try the concentrated one... as I hated picking feathers from those uncooked one
Price wise, concentrated one will b more worth it compared to small bottles in rock sugar syrup.
 
nikki
i;ve looked at the website u sent. i'm starting to tink that its stating best ratio is 10:1 cos in fact this website is obviously promoting for neurogain!! wahhaaa.. Anyway i'm sure any fish oil recommended by gynae has got to be good and safe.. dun worry too much =)
 
mummy,

during my previous pregnancy, i took the EYS concentrated birdnest all the way. FOr the concentrated bottle, u can keep in the fridge for up to 1 month. I take 1 big spoonful per day and normally finished in 5 or 6 days. So I take 1 bottle per week. This time, I still buy the EYS concentrated one ( i like the purple tin one coz got rock sugar added) and from Hock Hua those i have to boil myself. Boil yourself is more worth it than instant one...juz that it is a hazzle that u have to boil it, then later still have to wash the pot etc...
 
My nerogain (blue packaging) is from my gynae, abt $30.

Heard the diff bet the pink & blue is blue 1 is veg gel capsule.
 
So sian... Performance evaluation time. Have to do self-evaluation, due tmr.
Write how good also same little pay raise. sigh....
 
Fifi, yeah i know sooner or later have to buy them.. guess i kena influenced by my relatives liao. keep telling me not to buy too early. bleah... will see if hb is keen on buying cos he even more pantang than me!

Mummy, if i so rich then i won't be working lor. Like i said i buy my own birdsnest, my Mum and MIL also got buy for me. so i get to eat it almost every wk. technically speaking i only pay for one third of the bird nest i consume lor.

Nikki, i have been doing some basic research abt the claim in that website. First and foremost, tat webby is promoting Neurogain.
happy.gif
haha.. means they try to diss their competitors like dhaxtra. 2ndly EPA does affecting clotting BUT only if you have pre existing clotting problems. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6320840 I don't think it will affect us much unless we are on blood thinners or have genetic diseases like thalassaemia.

As for the ratio, apparently different body functions would need different DHA:EPA ratio. Our body converts 5:1 ratio from food, i.e. for every 1 EPA converted, 5 DHA will be converted. So looking at it, the best ratio to take is 5:1, which is opp of what the web claimed. I can't find a scientific article on the conversion rate though.

If you are interested, here's a pretty basic article to start with.
happy.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-3_fatty_acid
 
wtan,
i love cold oolong tea!!i think coz i dun like taking sweet drinks.=P

BirdNest: i am not taking it now, but the thought of cold birds nest quite shiok..i guess e instant ones in a bottle kind wil be most handy. what is the real benefit of eating birds nest anyway?i am so clueless about all this "bu pin".

lovedogs,
maybe i should try to buy the EYS one, i'll try to look out for the purple tin one!
 
Mummies,
Refer to this link for Neurogain Feedback http://1childnutrition.blogspot.com/

I bought 6 bottles of neurogain PB (blue) and 2 bottles if neurogain PB S (Pink) from the motherhood fair.

Re: Birdnest
When I attended antenatal class @ TMC. The parentcraft manager, Mrs Wong, told us that if we want to eat birdnest, must take pure one leh. If not will cause baby to have asthma.
 
Birdnest:

I think its good for BB's complexion.. When my mum had my youngest brother, she ate alot.. My bro's complexion was pinky and rosy too..
My mum strongly believe in this..so i get the chance to eat it twice a weeks.. heehee
 
Re : EYS Birdnest

If i remember correctly, 1 bottle is about $60+ or $70+. wait for the store 20% discount and grab more bottles :p

haru,

they have a few coloured bottles based on taste preferences. Got lesser rock sugar one, then got no rock sugar at all etc. I chose the one with rock sugar coz i got sweet tooth :p
 
i realised i had a typo mistake in my earlier post.

Once the EYS concentrated instant birdnest tin is opened, you can keep in the fridge for about 1 WEEK.....sorry i realised I typed 1 mth just now... pai seh, should be 1 WEEK..
 
1week.. thats fast.. understand those concentrated birdnest also cost close to $200.. imagine 1 weeek and $200 gone.. heartpain. i'll just stick to 1-2times a month.
 
peanut,

no lah.. the one i bought is about $60+ or $70 plus... i can't remember. only about 7 spoonfuls only... not much inside
 
Peanut, if that's the case u can get those u boil urself one. I think 6 pieces abt $160-200 depending on grade. That will last u one and the half mths!
happy.gif


Actually quite easy to prepare it. Soak the bird's nest overnight. Pour 1 bowl of water with for one piece of birds nest. Add abt 5-7 pieces of rock sugar and red dates if u want. Red dates need to be pitted (remove the seeds). Double boil it for 1.5hrs and its ready to drink!
 
According to my colleague, 老行家 concentrated one can keep in fridge for one month.

But... $200 for one month... heart pain
 
Mummy: I enable PM le.

Bear: My sis oso say I think abt buying things too early but I prefer to buy things when I can. Why wait wait wait then last minute have to rush and stress myself. Start early can slowly consider and buy too. Spread out the costs oso better.

Birdsnest:
Those that you boil yourself can actually keep in fridge and take over a few days. Just make sure you dun contaminate it. Scoop out a small amt each time with a clean spoon and store in a clean air-tight container.

You dun need to take a lot at each time coz as Lilian say, take too much at a time, body oso cannot absorb. Take regularly is more effective.

Birdsnest is to help your skin as well as baby's skin. Apparently it is to give us protein, iron and calcium too.

Ok I knock off work le... will come in again later or tmr.
happy.gif
 
by the way you all think white fungus give the same effect as bird's nest?
Actually can we take white fungus? although i know the rule is to take everything in moderation..
 
thanks Hui.and snowy.....understood ;)

No wonder my friend at KK receives her printout still at close to 40 weeks...lucky her..the scan looked nice too and v. clear, huya our gynae pte so primitive machines..lol
 


May need some advise here mummies..

i currently hv no maid and have cleaner to clean twice a week, I pay $380 a month..

Is it more worth it to get a full time Filipino maid to help out and do cleaning, cooking, washing...?
 

Back
Top