(2008/10) Oct 2008

Sigh mummies...anyone have a baby with colic? my little one is awake and crying for hours and hours. the only thing that will keep him quiet is pacifier which is no good i know... i am getting so frustrated

<font color="0000ff">Hey mommies, within 5~10min of between contractions, we have to admit to delivery suite right?</font>

JJmom
Actually I was having contractions every 3 - 5 minutes. I feel still can wait. Because I was still in the hospital for a very long time. But that's only me. Usually contractions less than 5 minutes, you can go already.

Emma, Trace

my niece went to shichida when she was 9 mths old. Those people say the earlier enrol, the better (of course lar hor, then they can earn our money earlier too!!)..me still deciding whether to enrol Ethan..coz its really expensive lor...need to work out budget first...

JJmom

I think so shld be abt 10 mins interval or so...heheee i cannot advise u on my own experience wor..because I could not feel any pain until I was 8cm dilated..then it was pain all the way for an an hour before I gave birth...

Princessemma
Oooh that's good to hear. Think I'll be ordering from Neo Garden then.

I just spent close to $100 on bebelicious. Hee.

bbgoh

errr..abt ur question on intercourse...I tried already...feels ok...hahaa..like pretty normal...although i was a bit scared wound would tear etc..but its ok for me...i started 7 weeks after I gave birth...

bigflamingo

u brought ur baby to see doc..? think they have some liquid for colicky babies.

hi bigflamingo,

If bb got colic, even pacifier also won't pacify baby. bb with colic will cry always at a certain timing and will pull up legs and fist as if in pain... that's wat i read.

I'm also using pacifier.... it's ok to use pacifier. Just need to limit the use.... my kids only have the pacifier just before they sleep. And they cannot take the pacifier out of their cots.

My no. 2 also crying a lot more than my first born. But ok la... as long as bb is not hungry, not in dirty diapers, burp already, and still cry, wat to do... carry carry a bit and let baby cry a bit lor...

<font color="0000ff">Mousebb/Bbgoh,

Thxs!
happy.gif
At least I know it's normal bah...keke

Everafter,

Like wat some of the mummies here said dun let your ILs spoilt the r'ship btwn u and your hubby. Now with a kid, couplehood is even more impt than ever so definitely muz treasure it!
happy.gif

Mousebb,

U very steady leh! U aiming for No.3!! Whoa! Now we got one alrd *gasping for breath* leow ;p hee hee

Bbgoh,

Even if you do not have yr menses, it's still possible to get pregnant while breastfeeding becos you will still ovulate!
happy.gif

Moreover, some pple said after delivery, the woman would be pretty fertile, so best to take preventive measures if dun want to have No. 2 tht soon..

Bigflamingo,

Has yr baby reach 1 month? Perhaps can give abit of gripe water? or try rubbing his tummy with ru yi oil?
</font>

bigflamingo,
my baby got colic. but somehow doesn't cry. she will just make these weird noises. so end up i cannot sleep cause very worried about it. pd told me to burp her. tried to burp her for more than 1hr but still doesn't work. tried all the different positions already. now she's a bit cranky. if i put her in her cot, will not sleep and pretend to cry. if i carry her then she'll sleep soundly.

diane,

yeah, its ex..but i see my nephew attending it..it looks gd leh...n pretty effective..

tdy went PD..my gal weighs 4.5kg! n she's 16days old.........

karen
I find neo garden ok la. not bad..they give 15% disc for full month and 1st birthday celebration.

Re: carrying bb
hmm actually if can afford the time.. I suppose it's ok to carry cos very soon.. u wanna carry bb also dun wanna let u carry when they started walking and such
happy.gif

But I cannot afford.. so I no choice..
I remember.. when my #2 is still infant. cos I feel so guilty I spend lesser time with him, I carry him to sleep tho I know it's bad habit.
but then again, he din become attached to my carrying.. cant remember already but he did manage to sleep on his own well.

white paper
I wish I can pump more often.. but sometimes.. really cannot. maybe after confinement I will try to pump more regular but shorter time.
Now confinement. MIL is always in kitchen cooking..my kids sometimes will scream and cry outside.. I wanna let down also cannot.. stress up!!

Re:MIL
Haizz when bb cry.. MIL always ask if she is hungry even she just drank. then claim EBM not full, not full also will not immediately hungry one mah..
MIL really dote my #2 obvious.. always carry my son and not my infant..can be very frustrating..

now a bit frustrated. since i told my mum that PD told me to stop eating the chinese herbal stuffs first to see if it's the cause of my baby's jaundice, she says better stop breastfeeding and give her formula instead so that i can continue with my confinement. then they found out that i bathe baby. told me not to also cause i cannot keep getting my hands wet otherwise it will cause arthritis.
sad.gif

(rant on)

I'm totally depressed now. Kept on crying. Been crying every day. I just wrote a long long email to my husband.

I feel that physically he is trying to help me. But I what need from him is emotional support, to put up with me for the moment. We have been quarreling about the maid ever so often. He disallowed me to shout at or say the maid because he's afraid she would poison our dogs.

Just like today, at baby's bathtime, I have been the one to bring in her towel, but I forgot. So he asked the maid to bring it in. But he only asked the maid to bring in the small towels, not the big one. When I saw there was no big towels, I raised my voice and asked, "Where is the big towel?!" And then my husband went to take it in. But he always felt the need to comment on my wrongs. When he came back, he said that usually I was the one who did it. How would he know he must bring in that towel too?

I mean, yes I was wrong. However, couldn't he put up with me and kept quiet? He has been always 'answering me back' since forever. But I guess for now, I don't really need a partner to answer me back or correct my wrongs, but just to put up with me and quietly supporting me while I adapt to a new life.

(rant off)

Sorry, I just had to rant. Because I think you all will understand. After typing that email, I feel much better. But I don't know if he would be angry with me.

Joanne
I really hate these confinement rules. I never followed any of them, except to blow dry my hair after washing. But I've already gone against that.

As for washing of hands, even my husband is nagging me now. Saying that I'm always washing my hands. But how not to?! Before touching the baby, I should wash my hands. After toilet, I should wash my hands. Right!? Don't expect the heater to be switched on 24/7.

Karen,
Lucky you can still wash your hair. They also forbade me to take a bath for 1month!! I already 1wk didn't take a bath liao. Want to sneak off and take a bath when they are not around but somebody is always at home. And they will also know cause my hair will smell better.

Yah. How not to wash your hand when touching the baby?? They told me to use gloves when bathing the baby and doing anything else. But how to bathe baby with gloves? Baby already slippery. Then when feeding and changing baby's diapers also need to wash hands after. Really don't know who invented those confinement stuffs.

Joanne
Actually my husband did ask my gynae about these rules before. And I kinda agree with what my gynae said.

He said that these 'rules' are reasonable for native Chinese because their weathers can be very extreme. But for Singapore, when it's already so warm and humid, there's really no reason to follow these rules.

Karen,
Yah. I agree. I already told my mum that so many people around the world don't follow any of these rules and yet they are still ok. Then she will reply me that we are not them. Afraid also that if later on I encounter any aches and pains they will say that it's because I didn't follow the confinement.

Pinny, little bluey and Joanne,

I'm taking my little fella to the doctor tomorrow just in case...i tried the ru yi oil, baby massage, burping also not much good. the way he breathes so hard in his sleep also scary...

on confinement rules, its a no win situation. In future we could get aches due to all kinds of reasons but someone who remembers will say see its cos u din follow. Personally during pregnancy, ppl said don't eat orange or yellow fruits etc or child will get jaundice. I ate loads of those and my bb din get any jaundice, didn't need to sun her at home at all. Pd said mums with same blood group as kid will lower incidence of jaundice. That makes so much more sense.

Having said all that, I still drank only red date tea and no other drinks for 28 days. Haha.

Btw, share w u all my latest discovery. My friend gave me lilypadz and I love it! Much neater and comfy as compared to breast pads. And makes bras less bulky. And can just stickon one side when latching on other side.
happy.gif

joanne i would not follow all the confinement rules either. mine kept bottle feeding my baby for her own convenience coz baby was impatient during breastfeeding. she kept taking away baby from me after just 5 min of trying to bf. saying i have to rest or my womb will "drop". in the end supply got less and less. so pissed with her

bigflamingo,
i know what you mean. my baby now also breathes weird. like he got something in her throat that she wants to take out. kept on burping her but no use. will try to ru yi oil but haven't bought yet. anyway, got PD appointment tom. so hopefully he can do something about it.

dimpletot,
Yah, it's really a no win situation. so looks like i have to bear with it for another 3 long weeks.
sad.gif

really? i'm using the reusable breastpads now. i put double cause my breasts are always leaking especially when it's almost feeding time. so irritated to keep changing nursing bra and shirt cause it's always wet. my sis-in-law told me to use the breast shield to collect all the leakage but feel very uncomfortable when wearing it especially when sleeping.

harlow mummies,
I have been a silent reader but when i read abt the rant about the confinement rules, i cant resist to post my comments!
During my first pregnancy, I follwed faithfully and that really made me so foolish! my frenzs visited me and I was wearing long sleeve, covered myself up and no fan! No bath! But i broke all of them by the 3rd day! I really could not stand it! How can I dun bath and bf my bb at the same time. i NEARLY had depression, and my hubby witnessed me breaking down because I cannot bath! then my massage lady told me that i can bath, but must drink chicken essence...then for this bb, i broke ALL rules!!! hahhaha....i look at my mum and mother-in-law who had followed the confinement rules, they all had artithis! Look at the Malays, they bathed at confinement and nothing happened! i DUN CARE now...haha...they still nagged and I talked back to them - when I old then see how.

bigflamingo,
I can understand how you feel as my own mum kept nagging on bottle feeding my boy when my boy started to get impatient at the beginning of each breastfeeding session as he can't latch on properly...luckily for me it's my mum so I can afford to talk back...:p

Confinement
I started bathing with herbs on Day 10 together with shower foam. Started washing my hair with shampoo on Day 12. This Sun will be celebrating full month but officially full month will only be on 22nd...with so many people coming I wonder how can I bear with just 1 bath when I'll be wearing long pants and avoiding the fan...

Karen, i can totally understand what u're going through cos my hb also a "answering back partner"!! At times i jus show him my black face and kept quiet! Cant b bothered with him manz! *hugz*

bigflamingo, my mum also said similar thing abt womb might b dropping if i dun get enough rest! Wah lau..i really hate those confinement rules lor!

Joanne, I also couldnt care less and told my mum, if i will get "feng shi" in future, then so BE IT!! :p I threaten to go bk hm during my confinement at her plc, so in the end she gave in and i wash my hands and bathe! hehe...

chia,
they also want me to wear long sleeve, socks and no fan. but luckily i don't have any long sleeve shirt that fit me now and that's easy to open to breastfeed baby. then the socks i wear them till my feet got rashes already. so stop wearing now.

i wish i had your guts. don't think i can talk back to my mum or my mum-in-law. wish they will go out and come back late so that i can quickly take a shower though. hehe..

i didnt talk back...they know i bathed, which i did, ib the middle of night n when my mum goes marketting...then when she asked, i just tell her that law changed. haha.

i think hygiene more impt. so xin ku to give birth n to deal w e hormonal change already still want to adhere confuinement rules!

for me, as long as no scientific proof, i will break! ha ha

1 thing is tat my mum n mil dunnoe y, also not for bf. when the pd advise agst bf and introduce formulae due to high jaundic in my bb, they like so happy!

whitepaper,
Thanks for the info. Very useful. Will show hubby tonight esp about the pimples part. Wah lau, he ask my MIL to see the baby's face when she came and she say that our body is dirty when we carry baby and ask me to put a hanky in between baby's face and my body. Siao! Macham she very sterile like that. Then still carry my baby. Lucky my baby clever... Cry when my MIL carry. Haha!

She's so irritating. She saw my Marks and Spencer digestives in the fridge finishing and she go and buy Jacobs biscuits for me and said that it is better. I told her nobody eat and ask her to take it back. Then she saw my brother bring for me dark choc cake and she went to buy 2 boxes of ferrero rocher for me. I told her I cannot eat cos bfeeding and ask her to take back. She took back 1 box and say the other box leave for me so when I have guests in my house can offer them. I gave the whole box to my part time maid.

everafter,
Hahaha! Your hubby funny lah. Put the towel on your bb's head.

bigflamingo,
If the pacifier works, then leave it. Can wean off later.

Confinement rules:
I also broke all the rules... Haha! This was what I did. :p
1. Bathe and wash hair everyday.
2. Bathe twice a day. 2nd shower at 8pm sometimes 9pm.
3. Never blow dry hair. Leave to dry naturally.
4. Drank water.
5. Fan full blast direct at me.
6. Slept in air con room at 20 deg c.
7. Wore singlet and short shorts.

Only thing I did was didn't take cold drinks cos massage lady told me that if take cold drinks, my tummy won't become smaller. For the sake of my beauty, I followed.

All other rules, I can't be bothered to follow. The CL also never said anything about me breaking the rules. Heehee!

Karen,
I also quarrelled with hubby since bb came home. Seems like he's now more concerned with bb's well being than supporting me emotionally. All talk before birth went flying out of the window. Until I sat him down and told him what I really needed from him. I reasoned with him that if he can support me more, bb will be well taken care of. Now he's much better.

mint, that wasnt towel, its my boy's top!! My hb wanna chg him for bathing, still wanna take funny pic! said the top stuck on his head v cute!! -_-"

hi mummies, I'm from March 2009 MTB thread. Dropping by to share with you that Tollyjoy will be having a warehouse sale next week 21 - 23 Nov. Held at 29 Changi South St 1. 11 - 7pm.
happy.gif

re:confinement rules..
tho this is the 3rd time liao.. but I still hate it to bits..every confinement MIL do different things.. so I just follow.. for this time.. at least every day she prepare the herbal water for me to bathe...
what I do is.. I will shampoo and shower gel and wash fully first with hot hot water.. then just use the herbal water to splash down my down body cos upper got to pump milk ma.. so dun use herbal better ba anyway MIL dunno what I do in bathe roomhehe..
but I do expereince so lower back ache and kneecap suan suan abit..so I splash the herbal water on those area hope it helps.
I'm also in air con room and on fan blowing when hot. MIL dun really say much maybe she thinks very hot too. But she always nag me cannot get caught in the rain else "sure die".
Like today.. rain heavily as a mum I must fetch my daughter form school bus isntead of just ask helper to do.. but MIL vbery against it, I know she meant well but I think I must do what a mum should do. I went ahead to fetch my gal in the rain with umbrella of course..
My MIl always end saying.. next time you got where pain where pain dun come and tell me. and I will reply her.. Sure Sure I wun tell you :p

Karen
the last time my HB "talk back" to me for no good reason.. I cried.. maybe it's the hormones, maybe it's my breast infection. I just break down.. then my HB scare.. think he scare I kenan PND eheheh.. from then he is very well trained liao.

I'll play.

Confinement rules I've broken (there must be more, ignorant me)

(1) bathe
(2) wash hair
(3) sleep in aircon room @ 25deg because trying to save electricity
(4) fan blowing at me (like now)
(5) drink lots &amp; lots of water because I thought that's needed for breastfeeding
(6) sleep with only bra &amp; panties
(7) wash hands like crazy
(8) don't know if it's counted but I went out a few days after giving birth

I really think the women who go through the whole motion needs to be saluted!

Hi mummies,

My boy's legs are always shivering, even in warm weather. My hubby said it could be due to peeing but I checked and baby is not peeing. Any of your babies having the same symptoms? What's the reason for the shivering legs?

So far I've broken the:

1. Sleep in aircon room
2. Fan blowing at me
3. Don't wear long sleeve shirts
4. Don't wear socks
5. Wash hands

Hi mummies, how's everybody today?

Cookie, thanks for the concern. My fever is finally gone but still need to take antibotics. My fever went up to 39.7, I thought with panadol will go down, finally no choice go see doc and was told got infection. Yah, my milk supply went real low now.... dun know how to increase it back and baby has been on FM for a few days already.

Whitepaper, thanks for sharing the info from ur PD. Very helpful. So nice of him...
happy.gif

actually some of the rules r not really "broke"

- sleeping in air con room is ok as long as air con not blowing at u direct
- actually don really need long sleeve shirts etc lah jus wear pants over kness length n tops with sleeves
- no need socks also but slippers is a must n cover ur feets when sleeping
- wash hands of cos can but aviod washing with non-hot water
- drink plain water other then the red date/ longan tea is also ok cos red dates longan tea is for "cleaning the blood" but our body esp if we wanna BF, warm plain water is ok.
- i bathe on day 4 with herbs but only wash hair after 7days *but jus herbs water no shower foam watsoever*
- i wash my hair every 2days n blows dry immediatlty *my aunt says bi-wkly but i BTH*
- i wash my feet like crazy cos i cannot stand sticky feel on bed
- but definately no fan blowing at me directly

seems like i'm the one that sticks to most of the rules *sweat*

Mint,

I broke all the same confinement rules as you!! HAHA! Anyway, we sent the confinement lady home after just one and a half weeks. She was an old lady and then she got sick, was coughing and sneezing all day, then i noticed she needed to support herself walking with the walls and door handles, but still insist she not sick and wont see doctor.

that was it man. Was scared she was gonna faint and drop the baby. next morning she was gone and I was so free and happy! the sleepless nights are better! hehhe..your MIL stories are always so funny!

I told my MIL and my mum that can bathe with herbs but they still say don't bathe. Really want to bath liao. Becoming cranky and start to notice every little thing.

talking abt hubby, i am getting increasingly pissed off with mine. He doesnt help with anything, least of all, any night feeds. Yesterday my CL left, so I asked my hubby to take over the 10pm+ night feed - that is the only bottle feed a day! all other times i latch on. i asked hb to feed bb only when she wakes up &amp; went to bed as i was v tired after the full mth celeb earlier.

he woke bb up to feed her at 10pm when i had let bb comfort sucked to bed at only 930pm! nvm, bb cannot finish the 100ML feed &amp; left abt 60ML in the bottle. so he put the bb to bed &amp; wanted to throw the leftover EBM away. i woke up at this pt and was so pissed. it is not easy to pump 60ML since I usually pump from the left side only and can get max 40ML each time! and he is so unappreciative, grumbled alot before taking over the feed! i am thinking of ways and means to increase my milk ss, and he throws them away as if it is just water or FM!?

he is so unhelpful and keeps saying let's hv 2 more kids. With this second bb, he is worse than the time when i had my first bb. All he has to do is "implant" his sperm and i have to suffer the preganancy and the labour and then the childcare!

sorry, no where else to complain..

karen, i used to write long emails to my hb too, but not effective when he replies with 2 - 3 sentences to my 2 - 3 pages! anyhow, by the time i sent out the emails, usually i am not angry anymore.

hahaa..for confinement rules, i think, but do what u think is comfortable. For me, sanity is more important than anything!
:p

Hubby: I must agree that guys are not of much help when it comes to BB. My hubby also bb ad toddler-dummy when it comes to handling them. He would only act on instruction. Some times when cannot cope, he will just blow his top. So, I rather do all myself :<

my hubby is similar... he just wants to play the supporting figure an not the lead role as a dad. its like he is not into this role of being a parent yet

during my confinement, i had to endure some harsh and mean words from him. i cried terribly and all i wanted was to get out of my marriage with him as i do not know how to educate him that i am on my own with my baby even though my mom is there to help - i do most of the feeding and bathing thru out the day and i am exhausted beyond words!

i love kids but am seriously thinking not to have a 2nd one as i do not know if my hubby will ever fall into the "dad" role at all, though i know that he loves our first born, but still, i need all the emotional &amp; physical support as well

everafter,

U r not alone. My ILs are not better anyways. When i'm pregnant, my MIL says a lot of scarstics things of me for having a bb girl. I cant take it and move back to my mum's place. From then onwards, she never called me.

After giving birth, can see her at least once a week. She not seeing me but rather seeing my bb. Funny rite, i tot she dun like bb girl????

She wants me to b/f my bb, coz she say its good etc. Well, as a mother, of coz i want the best for my child, i will do that, no need her to tell me. When she was younger, she dint b/f her kids, tink she too lazy to do that and expect pple to do tat.

Lucky i got a very gd CL, she kept telling my MIL that i'm always up in the middle of the nite and pple doing confinement is getting fatter but i'm getting thinner, etc.. and my CL gotten my MIL to buy me bird nests and cordycepts. Tink w/o my CL, my MIL wouldnt buy such tings for me.

I very bad oso. I told my hubby, its ur mum who insist i do b/fing and i need to take Cod fish to increase my milk ss, so his mum will hav to buy for me. True enough, i get to eat 2 cod fish every day. Who do u tink sh is doing all tis for? Me? no... its for my bb...

On deepavali day, my FIL celebrates b'dae and we went out to eat. Guess wat my MIL told me? She said, my niece, 6 yrs old mentioned tat nw she has a sister ( my bb) and she was asking when i'll be giving her a didi. Come on lah, mei mei haven grow up, u already want didi meh? And she's too young to say tat. Muz be my MIL say one and pushes tat to my niece.

Talking abt hubby:
Now tat i'm staying wif my parents, he will come everynite to stay over and he nw is picking tings on my mum and he told me he's unhappy abt wat my mum has been doing in terms of handling bb etc. Then i explained to him that my mum and us r of different generation and her ways are old ways but indeed she helped me a lot in many tings including caring of me. Then u noe wat he said? he said" now u can feel how i felt when u told me abt my mum?" Wah... i'm soooo angry. Its 2 different matters.

Back