(2008/10) Oct 2008

<font color="aa00aa">Beary
Congrats and welcome to the Motherhood!
happy.gif

Dont feel stress. It is very normal that NB needs to be fed frequently, like every 2-3hrs. If bb is on bm, some would even ask for milk like every hourly or every 1.5hrs.
Dont worry. Continue to pump or let your bb stimulate for you like every 3hours, very soon your milk supply will come in le. Drink plenty of fluid and soups. It's good for breastfeeding. If you are having blocked ducts, use a warm towel to massage your breasts to relieve the blocked ducts. Once the blocked ducts are cleared, your milk flow should start to come in le.

I'm pumping like every 3-4hours. Also wake up in the middle of the night to pump. At first the supply was miserable but is quite ok now. Jiayou! You can do it!

Mummies
Last night we let wenmin drank about 60ml fm when she was crying for milk, and she only wakes up at this morning at around 7am to drink again! Now we are praying hard that this method will work and we can do away with her night feed soon. </font>

Beary

I was also very stressed out the first 2 weeks or so after I borught Ethan home. It was nitemarish!!..Like Isaac, he is always hungry and will only keep quiet after I put him at breast. During this period I also dun know how much he drank and I was totally worn out. After abt 4 days, the BM starts to come in and i expressed out so that someone can feed him on my behalf and I can have sometime to myself. At nite I give him FM because my supply not enuff to meet his demand. But I am still expressing every 4 hrs or so.

U feeling engorged already? then do wat mousebb says and massage using warm towel.

mousebb: i m the funny one who gets the pain.. trying hard to fight those pains.. and gynae did give me that pain killer. but its only helps for the wound pain... nt the nerves
sad.gif
sad right?

my 1st pump last nite is 20ml, and this morning at 8.15am is 30ml. i m gng to pump again at 10.15 to chk the amt! sure gone case.. lol.. its ok. i m gng slow n steady. but the right breast is engorged, trying to massage dun work, pump also dun work.. damnz...

Icylemon
Agree with mousebb that your SS per pump is good!!! I only get 125ml per pump now, I pump 4 times a day, plus sometimes latching my boy on. So don't worry yah? Yes try to pump more now that CL is around! You can do it!
happy.gif

Beary
Don't dispair. Like I posted earlier, my SS was only 10ml when I was discharged from TMC. Now at the 6th day, I can pump 125ml in less than 15mins already! Not alot but enough at this stage. So don't give up, pump and pump... remember it's a supply vs demand thingy! And drink fish green papaya soup, it really helps!!! Drinking hot milk or longan red date tea before/after pumping also helps! When you massage your breasts, use a hot towel, and push really really hard at the lumps you can feed in your breasts, may be abit painful but better than getting serious blocked ducts later on. My CL helped me do the massage too.

And my NB also feeding very regularly, 60ml every 1.5hrs. Think for NB, just feed on demand, no need to worry they are drinking too much. For me, I supplement with FM ba my SS came in. And I pump 4 times a day.

Jiayou, don't dispair. Your mailk will come, it's just abit late, like mine.

Carole

Use hot towel, take a hot bath before pumping, and drink lots of hot fluid. It helps, really. And remember, push REALLY hard at the lumps in the engorged breasts!!! The first time my CL did it, it was really painful. But I kept doing it and now ok le, I didn't get any engorgement anymore! It works!

whitepaper... keke i did it.. i dun dare to take shower nwz
sad.gif
so scare i wet the wound.. haiz. i told hbby.. i damn handicap. crying each time i sat on the bed.
sad.gif

Hi mousebb, diane, whitepaper!

I am so glad to see ur replies!

i m going to try my best to pump today after all the encouragement from u gals! Gives me more confidence
happy.gif
Actually tats wat the nurse did to me at TMC, she reallie poke and push my breast real hard, but she says mine is clogged very badly
sad.gif
Today i will tahan the pain as i push, no choice... hope i can pump like u all soon...

to me, every single drop of BM is so precious... imagine 1 hr of pumping then collect 20ml... its reallie using all my blood and sweat...

Whitepaper, wat a relief to hear that ur darling oso drink a lot... i tot mine is the only hungry baby ard. hahaha
happy.gif
Nearly freak me out... every 2.5 hr cry until the house can tear down...n imagine, i feed him with FM, should be lasting... but he seems to drink like theres no tomolo....

Hi mummies,

Anyone has the posting that littlebluey post to increase the milk flow ? I cant find it. What i remember is pump how many minute and then etc...

Any mummies still have the posting ?

Hi Mummies,

We cant cry during the confinement. Try to control our emotion. Try to relax. I also din take a wink last nite. BB keeps crying, and i only manage to pump out 10 ML from both breast *faint* I stress also....but tried to relax and control lor...bb cried ? give formular lar...no need to insist. Dr Adrian even suggest to go for movie during confinement else will crazy.

hi dimpledot,

I'm using the pumping pal and super shield on my Ameda pump. It does help a lot cos i can relax and lean back while pumping (BM continues to flow down into the bottle and won't leak out). Sometimes i doze off while pumping in the night. It's a good investment for me.

<font color="aa00aa">Carole
Dont cry. I also scared to wet my wound before my gynae took off the plaster for me on last Thur. What I did was to slowly bath, part by part lor. Actually I was told the plaster is waterproof one. But I just scared lor. You can do it also.

Jess
Dont stress hor. I guess bcos your body is lack of rest and you are feeling stress. Just relax and try to pump and pump. I believe you will be able to see some improvement soon. Ya. Dr Adrian also told me to go out walk walk if I can and dont stay at home at all times.</font>

beary

When I was first came back home, I can only get 10ml from both breasts in 1 hr of pumping lor! At least you get 20ml. Then I persevere and the SS just increase steadily over the pumping sessions and over days... now after 4 days, I get 125ml! Hope will increase further, coz like you, my boy drinks alot. Checked with PD and he says it's good, as long as baby is gaining weight.

Jess
Don't depair too... I also only got 10ml 4 days ago...

beary

Jiayou at massaging breasts and pushing at the lumps. Everytime you feel pain, please think of baby and the consequences if you don't clear the ducts and endure the pain now - it will even be more painful if it gets more severe! My SIL had mastitis and had a high fever for several days! Had to go TMC to clear the ducts.

So please please clear your ducts NOW, before they hurt more! JIAYOU!!!

<font color="aa00aa">whitepaper
My 'big drinker' has slowed down her 'pacele. Only drank a total of 335ml yesterday.</font>

Carole
apply warm/hot towel on your breasts for 5-10 mins before breastfeeding. gentle massage your breasts. it should work. if you are expressing, try to look at your baby or his photo to encourage faster let down.

the best way to always to latch baby on breasts.

I always find avent manual breastpump easier and faster letup. pump for 5-20 mins after bfeeding baby to remove excess milk and increase milk supply.

beary - do cont pumping cos if you dun, your engorgement and clog ducts will be worse. Also, milk supply will dwindle.

I realise when am stressed, tired, and drink v lil water, my supply will be v bad.

I fired my CL yester after 3 days of work. Relieved.

thanks mousebb, enya and pinny.

I will get the pumping pal and super shield. I realize that standing up also helps.

Beary - pm me your number if you need to talk. I also feeding formula and pumping. Am in day five now.

<font face="tahoma">Re engorgement

what i did is to wet a diaper and put it in the freezer. after it's frozen and cold, i use the diaper to cover my entire breast for a few hours. it works wonder for me.

hope will help you gals too. </font>

mousebb
Maybe your gal wants to be slim slim???
happy.gif
Anyways think no issue right? Babies tend to go through periods of decreased and increased feeding, due to growth spurts etc.?
happy.gif

Ruffles
What happened??? Your CL very jia lat? Sorry if I missed any posts on this.

Hi rebecca!

My hubby started work today after 6 days' leave... so am at home now with CL... tomorrow going gynae check-up, can't wait to get out
happy.gif

hi beary

good to hear you are doing great. kind of worried, didn't hear from you for some time, but i can only understand :) that's why i always admire mummies who can still log in to chat after delivery.

<font color="0000ff">usually, I dun wait till my bb starts to cry, then bfreed her. otherwise, it will be terrible, some babies will cry non-stop and refuse to drink, some will vomit milk.

i used to use alarm watch, 2 hours interval to check and feed baby and to save myself from engorgement. the sign to look out is baby will normally start to move and stick out the tongue, that's the sign that he's starting to feel hungry. Feed at this point, do not wait till he cries and screams. If she's still sound asleep after 3 to 4 hours without milk, i would undress her..and exercise her limps to wake her up.

1) Beary, feed on demand or 1.5-2 hours interval (for me is 2 hours interval), I will wake baby up to feed her. feed each breast for abt 10 mins until you feel your breast is soft, then switch to another breast, repeat procedure.

After that, pump for 5-20 mins to remove excess milk and increase milk supply.

do not give formula, otherwise, some babies will be confused. juz latch baby on breast each time.your body will produce enough milk for your baby without supplementing formula or water. Otherwise, you will find your bm is very little.

Engorgement-apply frozen cabbage leaves

Blocked ducts-apply hot towel onto breasts for 5-10 mins before breastfeeding. if you are expressing, try to look at baby or his/her photo so encourage letdown.

Always hv a bottle of water besides you. drink while you breastfeed. you need to drink alot of water if you are breastfeeding.

Blocked ducts
you've to massage and press hard on the knots on your breasts to get rid of the clog ducts. I used to use hot water bag (can be found at unity pharmacy)

**get ready a tube of nipple cream in case of cracked nipple </font>

2)it's normal that babies will cry alot in the initial days after birth cuz they are used to be in your stomach- quiet, safe, dark and ready food supply. Be patient and give them time to get used of the new environment.

I used to wrap my baby up tightly, switch on some light soft music...carried her and walked up and down the room...for some time to make her sleep.

i got friends who use to bring baby out in the car...or switch on vacuum cleaner/ tv or washing machine....different babies hv different temperaments. so we each try different ways.

can try to use sling too. some babies sleep better in that or sarong.

beary...my hp is 94525107...can sms me if you need help.

i stop here...very long breath..eheheh
jiayou!!!

<font color="aa00aa">Whitepaper
We are not worry since we already know that she is a "big drinker". As long as she wants to drink, we let her drink. If she doesnt want to drink, we would not force her also. Maybe she really wants to be slim slim mah! hahahaha!
happy.gif
</font>

whitepaper
i find on some days i ate something that my baby didn't like, she drank less milk. :p sound weird but was true. anyway, got to count the no of times pee pee and poo poo change every day if you want to know if he/she is drinking enough.

hi mousebb
thanks!!!...hv a good sunday...hv to go prepare lunch for my 2 kids now and go out later.

hv a good sunday, mummies.take care..jiayou jiayou

mummies, jia you for all the BFing mums..
i feeling slightly better today but having this aching pain at the side/ back on my left n worst this wkend i kept waking up to urine..

dunno where all the pee come from..
pee till i also fed up!!
maybe its due to bb's head oredi in cervix?
now morning wake up so tired..
think i jus have to endure a while more..

enya / mousebb / experienced mommies - what do u do when yr bb is v impatient for her milk n refuses to latch cos its hardwork for them? i give ebm then...n by then she wd hv been rather tired fr crying.

<font color="#810541"> whitepaper,
ic. very boring right stayin at hme. haiz.... i oso wifh to go out. but hubby dun allow...
haiz...</font>

Hey Mummies....

Its a little late for me to post my delivery trauma but its better late then never...

Trace... thanks for updating the rest when i was in Labour.....

So here is my story.....

2nd Oct....
====================
10.30pm :
water bag broke as i was walking in Orchard....Thank god mum and hubby was with me...
so we rushed home and got the stuff for hospital...
Instead of delivering in TMC i changed my mind and decided to deliver in JB...

So thank god for having excellent staff at the c/point... we got priority clearence and was in JB within 20 min.

Arrived at the Maternity Centre at 12mid...
The midwife had me all checked and was told that im only 2cm dialated... so she speaks to the Doc and he advise for me to wait till morning...

But through out the nite the nurses were monitoring my contractions and the baby's heartbeat...

at 1000am (3oct)
Doc came in to check on me and was still only 2cm dialated... so there was no choice but to induce...

1100am
was taken to the Labour Room and had the drip put on and all strapped up to the monitor...
So this is when i was still pretty cool and was able to go on MSN from my mobile phone.....

1230pm
Doc came in to check again and still no improvements.... but he said he will still monitor......

200pm
Doc comes in again... and still no changes...
So he adv that if by 5pm i dont open up to 10cm... we will be heading to do a C-Section.

After he leaves the Midwife who was with me in the room re-checked my dialation and she asked me if i wanted her to help. So i was curios, help in what way... so she said she will help me dialate by opening it up but i would have to stand with the pain....

At this stage i only had the jab on my thigh... and no epidural or gas...

So she did as she advised... and wallaaaa i was dialated by a little more then 4cm.... But the pain was incredible....
happy.gif

Contractions were then increasing but baby's heart beat would decrease everytime the contractions came... so they had to monitor me closely and the drip count was reduced to 5 drops per min....

400pm....
Doc came in again to do a check and by then i was dialated by about 5cm... thats an achievement... so we still had to wait.... but he still stood to his decision that by 5pm i dont dialate to 10cm... i will have to go for C-Sec.....

So after the doc leaves the room the midwife comes to me again... "You want me to help again"? so i was thinking if u could do it once... just tahan again and do the second time la...so this time she helped me dialated till 8cm... wohooooo......

so as the contractions increased and increased the pain was also killing me softly....
happy.gif

At about 510pm i told the midwife...i think the baby is coming as i feel like pushing... and she told me to continuesly practise the breathing technics... so i did as much as i could... but after some time i could that the baby was already coming out....

So i turned to her and said i cannot hold it anymore baby is coming... so as she wanted to check how much i was dialated she was shock to already see the crown...

So all topsy turvy... she called for the doc and within minutes all the items required were out and ready for the delivery....

She kept on telling me hold it hold it... dont push anymore doc not here yet... and here i was trying to control the feeling...in the midst of all that i felt like having a glass of water.. so hubby had to get it for me...

Doc comes in with the team and before he could even say hello... the head had come out... oh no... the they kept on telling me relax dont push.....

then it was time to push again... and tadaaaa in one push Marissa was born....

at 5.30pm on the 3rd Oct...
Weight : 2.27kg
Height : 47cm

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the well wishes and support. Here's my drama birth story:

Thurs 9 Oct 3am:
Woke up as usual to go and pee but sat on toilet bowl for long time and wondering why I cannot finish peeing. When more or less stop a bit, went back to sleep.

3.30am: Woke up again cos felt wet. Before I could reach the toilet, water flowed out again. Woke hubby up and discussed whether to go hospital or not. I didn't want but he insisted. So decided to wait a while more.

3.40am: Saw some pink discharge so decided to leave for hospital. Packed some last minute stuff and left home.

5am: Reach Mt A. Nurses checked and said water bag ruptured so called for my gynae.

8.30am: Gynae arrived and checked me. Cervix not opened at all altho water bag burst already. He decided to induce me. Inserted a tablet to soften the cervix and played waiting game till 4pm.

4pm: Start on drip to begin dilation. 1cm dilated and screamed for epidural liao. Couldn't take it! Haha!

10.30pm: 9cm dilated so doc gave orders to start pushing. But baby's head still quite high up. I had a hard time pushing but not much progress.

11.30am: Mummy exhausted liao so doc decided to vacuum baby out. Baby also start to show signs of fatigue. Vacuum suction broke off twice. 2nd time, doc fell backwards and almost fell to the floor. Luckily the chair was behind him and so saved him from the fall. Hubby continue to encourage me to push but his face already turn green cos he saw how the doc vacuum the baby out and said that part was the scariest.

12.23am: Baby finally out! Phew!

Will upload baby's photo soon.

Supposed to discharge today but baby has jaundice and I'm bfeeding so decided to stay on one more night for her.

<font color="aa00aa">Ruffles
My gal also refuses to latch on and so I pump out the bm and give it to her. As long as she drinks the bm, I'm not particular whether is it latch on or pump out.

Gwen, Lian, Mint
Congrats on the arrival of your bb
happy.gif
! </font>

Hi mummies,
I missed out so much posting. I will try to catch up later.

So many mummies has pop already. Congratulations!.

Mummies with NB, how do you manage to find time and energy to come to the forum and at the same time express BM. I have been trying to squeeze time out for days and only today manage to come in for a while.

I am still struggling with breastfeeding. Baby Ethan is already 13 days ago yet we have not have any form of routine. Sometimes he wakes up every .5 hr crying for milk. Sometimes 1.5 hr sometimes 2.5 hr. How? I also dun know how to wake him up for milk. I tried exercising his limbs, change his nappy, tickle him but he still sleep thru' sigh....

Mummies that has taken the green papaya soup. May I know for how many days do you have to take the soup and also when will the soup take effect. I have take the soup 3 days in a row. But the soup dun seems to improved my BM leh.

<font color="ff6000">gwen,

marissa is so cute, and your story is so drama!

mint,

yr story's timing is v similar to mine. i admitted at 1am, bb out at 9:52pm.
happy.gif
but i din have to vacuum bb out....

gals,

am still feeling tired mostly! but hubby is a great great source of encouragement and support. dunno what I'll do when he goes on reservist in dec, and no more CL!
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif

mummies bf-ing or expressing,

press on! today I managed 20-25ml each time. and i pumped about 3-4 times liao today. hopefully more more more tmw!</font>

Carole,
BB Conrad's weight is good! Is he discharged today? Hopefully he managed to be back in time for his sis's 3rd bday celebration ya!

Jellypurin,
CONGRATS!! waiting for ur further updates ya!
happy.gif

Enya,
:S everyone's waiting for my boy lah.. hahaha.. i also wish he will come soon.. although i have a feeling i will prob think the reverse when he finally comes.. hahaha.. but now, really sian waiting so long wor.. hahahaha...

nickypower,
hahaha.. im still waiting leh.. BB Kieran still not making any signs.. hahahah...

beary,
CONGRATS again.. Baby Isaac's weight also v good hor..

to all mummies breastfeeding:
Jia you.. Jia you.. !!

Ruffles,
wah.. u fired ur CL! she must be really bad!! take care!

Jen,
dont worry.. think its bb's head pressing on the bladder.. im waking up 3-4 times nowadays to pee.. when in the past, i only need to wake up once!! hahaha.. but i take it that the D day is near le.. which is a positive thing.. hahahaha.. :p

Gwen,
CONGRATS again.. wow.. ur birth story really drama!!
nonetheless, everything is worth it after seeing Marissa eh!! kekeke.. Jia you!
happy.gif

Lian,
CONGRATS!!
happy.gif

Mint,
CONGRATS again.. wah.. urs is also unexpected hor.. kekeke..
take care, and hope to see bb's pics soon!!
happy.gif

Enya,

Thanks for sharing ur precious tips with me
happy.gif

i think i cant afford to purely BF my baby coz my BM supply is reallie low. And he is a drinking monster
sad.gif
drank almost 80 ml of FM during every 3 hourly feed! Besides, I cant use the avent manual pump coz my nipples are so sore and painful after my attempt yest to express
sad.gif
I had to use my hand to squeeze into the container directly, totally exhausted!
sad.gif
I oni manage to get 20ml, 10ml and 20ml respectively on my 3 attempts today. Did try to latch baby on, but he got a hard time sucking the little amt of BM tat i had, n he was very frustated and cried till the whole house nearly tear down! So I gave up...n express the BM manually. Each time i need 1 hour of hard work to press out the few ml of milk with all my strength
sad.gif
Is this normal for the 5th day? When will my supply come in? If I had c-section, will this affect the milk supply coming in later?

I had drank the longan water, apply hot towel, massage, drink papaya with fish soup today....

How did u manage to feed 10 mins on each breast and still have excess to pump out? I reallie envy u! My breasts are bruised now from all my poking and squeezing...sigh...give baby drink oso not enuf liao, not to mention express to store...
sad.gif

reallie hope all these terrible moments will pass, and BM can quickly comes in....

hi mummies
hope everyone okay.

beary
some mummies's milk come in after 5 days. it's not unusual. from your description, i guess your milk already came in. you juz need time to increase the supply.

at first the supply is very low..it's normal. you need to be a bit patient. i even had cracked and bleeding nipples too during my first days.

breastmilk will increase according to your baby's demand. try to latch baby or keep pumping. if there is not much, juz latch baby on, the sucking will help to increase milk supply.

1)try not to stress yourself up,
2)drink at least 3 litres of water a day..
3)rest as much as you can
4)eat nutritious food
5)use fenugreek or nursing tea

I know the initial few days are terrible :)
juz bear it with it.

beary

do make sure your feeding position and the way how you latch baby on is right.

if you realise he/she is sucking like pacifier, remove him/her immediately from the nipple. otherwise, you will get sore and crack nipple. repeat the latching procedure again until you get it right.

forest
eheehhe...mine is kicking my thigh now..

i'm heading for bed soon, got to go for ctg tomorrow morning...so sleepy now.

Hi mummies
Congrats to all those mummies who had "made it"!! its really nice to read up on your birth experiences and advices!
I had often been reading this thread, however had not post anything cos the thread is going too fast for mi to catch up...

my EDD on 28th Oct.. my gal weighs 3.5kg at week 37th.. Gynae had suggested to c-sect as its a big baby, estimated easily 4kg at full term. Furthermore, high chance its going to be overdue... so the weight will be even more... Reluctantly, C-secting was the best choice for mi in order to avoid further complications...

i'm now looking urgently for a fengshui master to calculate DOB of bb if confirm c-secting... anyone has any recommendations?

Back