(2008/07) July 2008

smiggle

P1 needs to know hypy, not learn! you are expected to go already with some knowledge! scary or not you say! terrible!

They will teach hypy in P1. its in the syllabus i think. my kindy also didn't teach hypy in sch. but imagine you go in not knowing anything, how stressful that would be!

we go to berries. and they gave us a list of what they think you shld know before you go P1.

But we didn't know stuff also when we went to school. That's why we go to school... to learn stuff. We don't go to school to be ahead of people.
I think us parents are killing ourselves. If everybody didn't know stuff, everybody would start on the same foot and nobody would be stressed because everybody would be learning at the same pace. We are only stressed because we can't catch up with others.

My 2-cents worth. As you can tell, I have very strong feelings about this.
happy.gif

I agree bbp. It would be nice to live in that wonderful utopia world you describe. I went to P1 not knowing a word of English. But the world we live in now, the thing is not to be ahead of pple, but not to be left behind and singled out.

I guess the choice is to think whether there is anything to do to ease the transition because the reality is this, most of the kids going into P1 will already know a bit of hypy. A friend got a call from her son's P1 teacher, advising her to go get him a tuition teacher because he is not catching up! and mind you, the sch is just a normal neighbourhood sch.

and seriously I have nobody to hang around with during the weekends now because everyone is at enrichment classes!

Re Hanging out:
Kids will hang out with each other in the enrichment centers while their parents will hang out with one another outside the enrichment centers.

QUICK ONE!!!!!!!!
anyone knows where to get those t-shirt kind of 'swim suits' for men? are they called rashers/rasherguard or something?

batgirl
yikes! not good!!! grrr very angry with that kid on your behalf too!

cellow
i wonder if poppy is also adding/subtracting: cos when i give her a 'problem sum', she can get it from 1-5, but if i say "1+3 equals?" then she blur.

cellow
loser? sheesh where do kids learn these things?!

P1
*i go hide in my shell. maybe when i poke my head out, it will all be a dream and the terms 'enrichment class' and 'tuition' won't exist*

gangnum style
sigh. anyone's kids into this? poppy says opa gunggung style a million times a day, and does the wrist on wrist galloping action. i asked who taught her and she says "my brain taught me". right.

PB

you wanna get rashguards for poppy or BB? try cotton on kids for poppy? men i am not sure if there have, may have. i buy mine online from gymboree.

gangnum style

i know! mine was on that for a while and it irritated me no end. but guess from where they saw it? their FATHER's ipad!!! he was so gleefully showing them! grrr!!

Gangnam style
Hahaha so it's not my kids only. Emma immediately started the gallop dance when she heard the song, even at stores. Lols. Then people saw her and smiled at her, she suddenly became self conscious and stopped. Hahaha. She still dance to it once in a while.

PB
I bought that online as well, at Gmarket. I dont know where to buy here. Can try the arena swimshop maybe at Plaza Sing?

Good morning! Catching up...

Cellow, Batgirl
There will be more 'action' over the years. No choice lah, as the kids interact. They do pick up a lot from other people, not just parents, but also other children, domestic help, people whom they come into contact with in daily life. On our part, we can continue to give love and positive affirmation.

Doggie
Eh I thought the kindy taught hypy? No ah? Berries will have those 3-day hypy workshops that you can let T1 attend. And there are loads of enrichment centres that do this as well. Anyway, no need to worry too much if she does not grasp it at first try. I was wondering why S did not get some of the sounds, and the teacher told me that it was normal, the kids just can't hear the different tones until they get used to it.

Smiggle
Some kindys follow MOE guidelines, some go beyond. For instance, a lot of them have ting xie and spelling in K1/K2. Ours did not, 'cos they said that was not an MOE requirement. So the kids have a lot of play
happy.gif

Intellectual development
Think L's is rather underwhelming compared to what your kids can do. He'll end up being a void deck Beatles impersonator :p

Off-topic, ah soh qn:
For those who have a front loader, what washing detergent do you use? We are switching to one and I was wondering whether we can continue to use the liquid detergents that we've been using in our top loader? Anyone knows?

youpi

need to use the low suds one. i use Top. smells quite nice.

and yeah, no hypy taught at the kindy. i am going away so no time to let her go for that last min attempt to at least learn some hypy. anyway, no exams in P1 right. as long as i don't get any teacher's call, i am chill!

Gangnam style:
I have been on alert for this. Am shielding this from Declan until it blows over. I HATE it! And of all people, who wants to introduce this to my son? My FIL! Sheesh! Thank goodness for Declan's expert ignoring skills in this instance. Mr bbp knows I hate it, so he knows if he wants to live, he had better not talk about this.

HYPY:
Ok, I am starting to worry. I think I gotta ask my kindy if they teach. The thing is, Declan's not too good at phonics yet. I worry that he will get confused when HYPY comes into play cos they are same same but different.

PB,
I think Poppy doesn't get the connection between the problem sums and the maths sums. But since she has no problems with the problem sums (haha, no pun intended), I think she will sail through the maths sums easily once she makes the connection.

youpi,
L has always marched by his own tune. I'm sure he will also sail through when he decides to.
happy.gif

Washing Machine:
Yes to front loaders! Especially those top loaders that just spin horizontally like those teacups at the amusement parks are useless at washing clothes.

I'm glad G's now too embarrassed to do the gallop.. It's gotten a little irritating with the whole world doing the dance ah... But guess who's in town for A free performance at MBS tomorrow.. If u want more of it muahahaha ha!

And I think G doesn't know both phonics and hypn *gulp* chill chill... Taking deep breaths.. Don't wanna go into labour now! :p

Youpi.. Your comment on L made me smile..couple of months back, G told me he wanted to be a rock star when I asked him what his ambition was hahaha! Now he tells me he wants to be a lawyer... N I asked: do you even know what a lawyer does? He said yeah...they talk a lot, and so do I.. Think I'd make a good one then LOL

Pb
Kayden also know gungnam style. In fact, he told me he and eunique were talking abt it in class.
Tiong Bahru plaza don have rash guard...
Can try vivo or great world.. I always see alot at expo.. And very cheap...
For kids, the old navy one cheap and good..

Phonics
Kayden's school does not teach... I'm thinking of switchin his school..

DD,

Forgot to congratulate you on your girl!! they are very sweet! for me the 2 kids are totally different!
happy.gif

G wants to be a rock star. haha, that is good.

Wuffy wants to be a cookie, cos he likes to eat cookies... :p

Gangnam style - nope wuffy and JX don't know it. So no galloping for them. :D

Youpi, Front loader have to use low suds. Persil has liquid form but specially for front loaders. Cannot use normal ones i guess cos they bubble too much and may bubble out of the machine.

Youpi: low suds and there are liquid ones for front loader. I use top, from Lion. Nice smell and anti-odour so great for indoor drying too. Comes in anti-bacteria, super whites and coloured clothes if I remember correctly.

Hypy: maybe our this holiday prog, we can gather together to teach our kids that!
happy.gif

brain dump
i had a parent teacher meeting for C1 last sat. he is at heart a perfectionist, which means that he doesnt respond unless he is absolutely sure of the answer. he had always been a non competitive and mild mannered child, marching to his own beat (usually to the beat of a fan motor). the non competitiveness is coming home to roost now..... his literacy in english and mandarin is not high at all compared to his classmates.... in fact, i think the teachers were trying to diplomatically tell me he is the last in class.

so now i find myself in the position of forcing myself to get him to
1) write every single day for at least 5 mins
2) read every single day one book (Mr C likes to dump him in front of the TV and frankly during this harrowing year.... i m far too tired physically and emotionally to consistently read)

i need to regroup and think la how to not have C1 last in class. when he doesnt know something, he clams up and diverts attention. *wrings hands*

i dun know what i m writing anymore.
i never wanted to turn into THAT mom, you know... THAT one who pushes the son to achieve academically.

at least he is changing school next year... the Montessori approach takes each child at his learning level to improve.

and.... i called Berries just now re his Chinese, and left a voice message. he doesnt even recognise the chinese char for me - wo - which appears in every single chinese reader......!!!

Mr C doesnt understand all of these. he is still leaving in the old days of children can thrive in primary school even w/o knowing a word of English. that's fine if most people are like that.... but that's not what most P1 kids know now. HYPY! write proper words! know how to phonetically sound out letters to form words!

Ok good. I'm not the only one in the world who detests gangnum style. It was so funny when I first saw it. And then now it's like everyone in the world is doing it and every shop is playing it. I suppose it wouldn't be so bad for the kids but how to explain "hey sexy lady" to them? Thankfully poppy only knows that horrid opa line.

Today I just lost it
sad.gif
poppy was so insistent at wanting my attention, calla needing me consistently and me not being good at giving either girl sufficient attention. Argh. It's so tough. Honestly sometimes I resent breastfeeding. Sometimes it's more like playing boob chasey which is no fun for me at all

Sorry, this is another ah soh question about front load washers:

Do you put your clothes into laundry bags when you wash them? I've always put ours into laundry bags when we used a top loader. But when I did that with the front loader, every piece became a ball. Literally! And didn't seem very clean, as if the detergent was not properly rinsed off. Is that because they were in laundry bags? If yes, then how do you keep your clothes from getting mangled by the machine? *perplexed*

Cellow
*HUGS* As you said, in just a few weeks, C1 will be in the Montessori school. Why not see how things go then? In the meantime, just read to him every day. Even a little is fine. Read fan brochures! You said earlier that he can recognise some Chinese words and do simple arithmetic yes? That means his cognitive development is on track. Can relax. *ommmmmmmmm*

Youpi: ah soh answer- a couple of tennis balls is all you need, throw them into the washing machine, they will solve your fur ball problem. Please don't buy the $60 laundry ball, unlimited uses,... Either tennis balls or those daiso brand laundry balls can do the trick. They will prevent clothes from wrinkling, "beat" the clothes like how people washed clothes in olden days.
happy.gif
oh my! this is really ah soh!
happy.gif

Cell: *big hugs....* is C1 enjoying both school and berries? Could it be he has them all in his head but refuse to show? Maybe you want to talk to him and understand why he doesn't want to respond or participate? Maybe when maturity sets in, he will be fine?

Pb: *big hugs...* Jia you!

dd,
Yeah, on the day that Psy came, apparently Nex was not crowded at all. My SIL said prob everybody went to see Psy.

smiggle,
Kayden's school doesn't teach phonics? Not even the most basic ones? Cos Declan's school is like the most relaxed school on earth and they do teach the basic phonics.

Cellow,
Hope you feel better after releasing all those worries.

PB,
At least you found Gangnam funny the first time you watched it. I never found it funny from the beginning.

youpi,
My mom never put anything into laundry bags. She handwashes delicates and throws everything else directly into the machine.

cellow

*hugs* can understand how you are feeling. i was cruising along happily until the hypy bomb dropped on me also.

think we need to regroup and eat korean lunch to destress. mich is away though. but what about the rest of the korean lunch kakis? anyone game?

Kho Kho? When? Festive mood set in Liao and I miss our weekday corporate lunches haha!

Do tennis balls really work Jo? The balls can survive in the washer n clothes won't have lime green lint after each wash? Hehe not that I have a front loader.. But laundry nets are a must for us cos everything gets dumped into the machine for spin dries

Meanwhile, hugs to Cellow and PB..

bbp
when i first enrolled Kayden, they dont have phonics for kindergarten..
And when i call again to ask, they are not sure..
Maybe now they have introduced..
He learning phonics thru youtube now

Cellow
I feel you..
The school see Kayden as a special case which need more attention.
cos he is also a perfectionist.. he would rather erase the alphabet again and again then submit it..
he also has sweaty palms, which is NO NO for army and affects his writing..

Youpi
for front load, it is recommended to only fill up 3/4..
In fact, front load is more gentle and clothes are not meant to be mangled... as compared to those top load..
i only use laundry bags for underwears..

Doggiebb
same here.. the bomb really got me frantic..
am gonna sign him up for berries liao

Hi everyone! Long time did not "talk" here...

XP is inspired by her teacher to keep long hair, and then I was inspired to make hair accessories for XP... so I started a blog shop that designs personalised / customised hair accessories. I also design personalised candy wrappers (with candy, of course)!

Please support support by "Liking" my Facebook Page and share with your friends! Thank you thank you!!!
happy.gif

Youpi,
I only put bras in the laundry bags. I normally put the lower spin cycle.

Jo
I didn't know about the laundry balls! I shall try.

Cellow,
Every child is different, so don't worry. I do not really teach Emma at home (sometimes), she is free to do what she wants. She is into Boggle Junior games at the moment, I just let her play herself. Seemed to help her to spell.

Not proud of electronic babysitting, but Emma learned a lot from Iphone apps and TV programmes. When Ashley was 4, compared to Emma she could be considered "late". She only speaks less than 10 Chinese words when she's in K2. But she turns out OK. It's just that she wasn't ready. So don't worry too much, I think C1 will be fine.

Thank you all for the washing machine advice! Muacks!
happy.gif

Another question, sorry!:
Have you had your wisdom teeth removed? Is it paralysingly painful after the drugs wear off? How long will I be unable to do anything other than moan in pain? When will I be able to eat proper food again? Any tips on how to handle it? Yes, I am about to lose my wisdom teeth, and only slightly freaked out...

PB
*HUGS!*

youpi

my wisdom teeth removal was an extraction so the recovery time was much faster. 2 days of soft foods and i am ok. hubs' need an op and whole jaw was swollen for 3-4 days. could only manage to eat properly after 5 days. my advice, don't be gungho, just pop the painkillers. they are such a blessing!

youpi
WOW you managed to keep your wisdom teeth till now! i honestly don't remmeber. had mine taken out at 16. i think it's soft mushy diet for a while. iherb is having sale on organic baby food in case you're interested :p

thanks girls. some days are harder than others. today was one of those. lunching out with both girls, me hissing 'poppy sit properly, feet down, don't show your panties, calla don't lick the high chair, no my noodles are spicy they are not for you, yes i asked for them to be not as spicy so you can have some poppy, yes we can go for chocolate cake later, i'm sorry you're disapopinted you did not get to go up on stage for babies prom'

tell you girls something. today we were at babies prom right,and remember that at the end they are all invited to go up on stage but only a handful actually get to go up? so when they made the announcement, i quickly asked poppy "you want to go?" she nodded so i said OK RUN!. so she did. without me.

in my mind, i could picture her running from where we were (row U) all the way up and then waving to me from the stage. only i did not factor in the throng of people that would form up behind her. so i PANICKED when i lost sight of her, grabbed our stuff and squeezed through the people, explaining "MY DAUGHTER IS AHEAD WITHOUT ME!" to those who tsk-ed me like i was trying to cut queue. and then when i found her OMG, the relief. she was just standing there and looking real disappointed on not being able to go up on stage. i just had to HUG her and say sorry i will never do that again.

urgh. ever had those "what in the world was i thinking?!" moments? i need more sleep, i think.

so. christmas party: on? it's taken me 4 years to say this so here goes: if it's at someone's house/condo function room, shall we do a carnival kinda thing where each parent hosts a stall and the kids are free to roam and play at each stall? easy stuff like throw balls to knock cans over, or 'fishing'. cos they are at the perfect age to move around independantly in an enclosed environment, plus we all know each other, ya? how how?

Wah think u need lots of space for that? And is it on 15 or 16?

And hey I've got all four of my wisdom teeth and I'm still gonna keep them all as long as I have no major problems haha

Doggiebb
Thanks for the info! I think mine will be surgery, 'cos it's the lower one, so can 'look forward' to getting all drugged up soon, hehe!

Xmas party
Think we cannot make it on 15/16, as I will probably be drugged to the gills and incoherent...

PB
They let a selected number up for crowd control, so you must run up there as soon as they announce it. Some kiasu people actually start to hang out near the front at that time. Don't worry, you will be able to find the child. Last year L ran up on his own, and he and S were at two different parts of the stage. But we all found each other eventually.

Youpi
Ya I know. My brain tells me it's an enclosed area, all parents= safe. But my heart kept hitting my head and saying "yes but what if, you idiot?!". But thankfully she was not traumatised at "losing" me.

Dd
Dunoh. How, girls? Which date? No need too big a space.... Somewhere like function room or say, house with garden+porch would do beautifully. Hint hint.

Mich, can we show up and warm your new house? Kekeke

dd,
Do you have a function room? I mean, does your condo have a function room?

Updating the list - removed youpi

Christmas LUNCH POTLUCK!
Date & Time: 15/16 Dec, 12pm
Venue: TBD
Attendees:
1) bbp, Mr bbp, Dec (15 & 16 ok)
2) DD & G (16 only)
3) PB and the gang (both dates ok)
4) SY and kids (15 only)
5) Jo & kids (both dates ok)
6) Smiggleprincess (both dates ok)

No longer staying in ulu land, so no longer have a function room I can use..

But if you girls can make it sun morning, I have a porch.. But it's not huge and only partially sheltered.. And you must apply mosquitoe repellent on yourselves (main reason why I paisay to offer initially.. Check out G's scarred legs and hands when you see him
sad.gif
). But there's always indoors too
happy.gif

Yes DD!!!!!! On!!!!!! :D so it's 16 then since you can only do 16. I reckon you wouldn't really want us to be at your place without you :D

Actually I was going to suggest our LAO DI FANG, girls. BG?then our makan has to be simpler fare

15 i have a cousin's newborn 1st month to go to, and 16 my ILs are landing at 10am. hmm.

thanks for the hugs. i hv a plan for C1. will put into action.
Jo, nope he is not in berries yet. signing him up next year.

chore wars
maid is on home leave 20 dec to 2 jan. i m wondering how you girls open the conversations with HBs how to split the chores.
ILs are here to 'help' during that time. yes i m grateful that i have physical help... but each time they come, i feel that i m effectively silenced, in my own home some more. sigh.

cellow

at the risk of sounding super kiasu, this silly berries has a LOONG waiting list. if you plan to get him in next year, better just check for places first and if needed, put yourself on the waitlist, i have friends waiting for 8 mths to 1 year before their child could get in! or it could be that bishan is a more popular location, i am not sure...

4 more days to icy korea, it was -15 to -9 last couple of days! brrrr! i hope its just a cold front that will pass!

doggiebb,
thanks for the reminder.... i did call berries mountbatten last friday and they have spaces for K1 level for 2013 classes.

ala, i AM turning into Amy Chua, the tiger mom.

enjoy Korea!!

Back