(2008/07) July 2008

christmas gathering - we will be back in Msia if it is on christmas day itself..what about the weekened before? like 15 or 16 dec?

dustee - which convent school are you hoping to get?
happy.gif

bbp - i am in your area on sunday evening/night..will ping you to see if convenient to pick up shoes
happy.gif

TGIF!

Christmas gathering
15/16 Dec good for us
happy.gif

P1
You girls are planning early!

Cellow
Will you have priority for St Stephens as well?

Bbp
You are moving out?

Cin,
Just come over... my helper will be home.

youpi,
Well, I Would like a place of my own. At the end of the day, this isn't my place after all and I just keep imagining the day when my ILs announce that they are selling the place and throwing me out homeless. Ok, too much drama serials, but that's the overall idea.

Ok, let's get the Christmas thingy rolling. Let's set it at 12pm, so that by the time everybody turns up, it's a nice 12.30pm for lunch? Also, indicate which date you can make it. Remember, it's not a preference thing, but only if you already have something on that cannot be shifted. *Do I sound like a tyrant already? :p*

Christmas LUNCH POTLUCK!
Date & Time: 15/16 Dec, 12pm
Venue: TBD
Attendees:
1) bbp, Mr bbp, Dec (15 & 16 ok)

oopsy, cannot make it again! will be in bangkok with the kids - annual company paid trip for entire family.

you guys enjoy!

SmiggleP,

oh.... better be careful if you dun wanna strike..
happy.gif

Dustee,

The mom must be really upset at the remark! so what if the academic results are great?

Cellow,

I agree with your thinking. That is why Wuffy is just going to a neighbourhood school. not even top 50 i think, but I guess his sanity (and mine) is what matters most.
happy.gif
Give him time to grow up and build character.

Christmas LUNCH POTLUCK!
Attendees:
2) DD & G (16 only)

Christmas LUNCH POTLUCK!
Attendees:
2) DD & G (16 only)
3) youpi +++ (both dates okay)

Primary schs, esp for Cellow
Would like to add that the one very good thing about the Christian brothers schools is that there is NO stress at all
happy.gif

youpi
really? no stress? how come leh?

i remember once asking a boy what school he went to. he said st stephen's. i asked if he liked it. he said "the toilets are very smelly" . LOL. boys.

Christmas LUNCH POTLUCK!
Attendees:
2) DD & G (16 only)
4) PB and the gang (both dates ok)

Christmas LUNCH POTLUCK!
Attendees:
2) DD & G (16 only)
5) SY and kids (15 only)

my place also open!

re pri sch
today went for orientation. jh seems pretty quiet in class. hope he warms up. now to make sure he transits well into pri sch! lots of things to decide.....can't decide whetehr to let him take sch bus or not. but for the sake of my sanity and jx not having to go childcare so early, i may have to let him do that.

SY,
Where's your place now? East or West?
happy.gif

Anyway, I think school bus is always a big decision. You can always let him try first and monitor. Then if something changes, you can always change too
happy.gif

DD
Are you at Jacob Ballas today?

SY
New environment, new people, he's probably observing and absorbing it all, don't worry. Any friends from kindy in his new school?

PB
No exams (but no exams islandwide for all P1s), no ranking, no streaming. Hardly any homework, lots of fun school activities
happy.gif

Primary school: Youpi, chup one place for my Gabriel! ;) my bet is on convent schools too, won't be trying too hard, and yes, let God take care! Ha ha... He will be so busy!
happy.gif

BBP: I also want to slap that kid! I'll be so hurt and feel that I'm such a failure if this is my kid.

Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2012 - 10:36 pm:
Christmas LUNCH POTLUCK!
Attendees:
2) DD & G (16 only)
5) SY and kids (15 only)
6) Jo & kids (both dates ok)

SY, any chance of getting the function room since its gonna be a rainy season?

bbp
i m at gardenvista. near near..haha

PB
he is talkative!! he usually needs time to warm up but once warm up, no stopping him! he said he will speak when needed so i m not too worried. as long as he really speaks when needed!!

youpi
my fren's son is in the same sch. they swim together. but different class.

Jo
there's no function room at my place. only bbq pits. place is pretty sheltered. but i guess function room safer

Youpi,
No priority for St Stephen’s. Does waving C1’s baptism cert during Phase 2B1a (or whatever is the phase for church affiliations) count?

Bbp,
Yep def watching too many drama serials. If your ILs love Mr bbp even half what you love Dec, then you def do not have to worry abt ILs throwing you out homeless la.
and your words were the inspiration for this post.... wahhahha.... thinking nonsense, and def thinking waaaaay too far ahead.
http://hisabundantblessingss.blogspot.com/2012/11/i-shudder-at-becoming-mil.html

Dustee,
Oh! Thanks for the cement, hehe.
And lovely statement re "whatever i cannot take care of, Jesus will."
I m curious, how did your ex coll react to that absolutely rude sttmt coming from her own flesh and blood?

Hi mummies,

back from KL yesterday...
Kidzania was not fun at all for Kayden..
He only managed 3 jobs.. He refused to queue and wait.. It got boring for him...
I feel that you have to be at least 6yrs old before you can enjoy most of the jobs..

We just spent most of our time nuaing in the suite..
The kids didnt wanna leave and go home...
And we didnt even have time to go legoland..
Will go again in Dec..

Christmas LUNCH POTLUCK!
Attendees:
2) DD & G (16 only)
5) SY and kids (15 only)
6) Jo & kids (both dates ok)
7) Smiggleprincess (both dates ok)

Hello mummies! Its been a long time. Popping by to say my congrats to DD!!

Work is crazy and I'm about to go insane with other stuff on top of that - PSLE and all. Waiting for PSLE result tomorrow *pulls hair*

am away from 15 Dec until after Christmas so won't be able to join. sobz!

Smiggle

sorry to hear that K didn't like Kidzania. T2 lurved it! had to sorta drag him out of the place! we are even contemplating letting them go to the kidzania in seoul but we figured the language used will be korean! @@

SD

*crossing fingers here for ashley* ALL THE BEST!

SD
Oooh all the best for Ashley!!!

Smiggle
Hmmm L enjoyed Kidzania, though not as much as L. You are right, the older ones will have a better time as they can do more. But it also helped that S was there and they could do some jobs together. Kayden will definitely enjoy Legoland though! Lots for the little ones there!

Holidays
I feel so much busier during the hols than during the school term! Does anyone know how to make sushi? I want to do a session. Want to do together? Maybe in the first week of December? Need to find out how to and what ingredients to get etc first.

Good luck Ashley!!

Sushi making with kids? Something simple like what we did with sakae sushi: mat, glut rice, seaweed, slice of egg or cucumber or corn and that's it! But of course you could attempt the fancier and yummier ones too
happy.gif

G's down with fever again.. He just recovered from a nasty round requiring antibiotics two weeks ago! Round the clock monitoring and sponging making me look like an owl with eye bags and dark circles! But wanted to share that lemon wraps help! Go google it!

doggiebb
same here!! planning to make sushi for JH to bring to sch for recess! also using sushi maker. my fren said very easy. prepare the rice, seaweed and ingredients and roll....

SD
good luck to ashley!!! which sec sch is she planning for?

youpi
i dun mind if i have time...work is so busy again...

SY

our #1 all going P1 next year! happy and sad all at the same time! Mine told me on her orientation she was tested on English and HYPY which she said a few she could not do! I thought no more exams? so why the screening? *sweat* and i specifically chose a holistic sch some more, not the hot-housing sorta sch!

doggiebb,
Why does that sound like St Nicks? Cos my friend's kid had the test as well. We figured it's for the teachers to know who is weaker in what, so that they can get more help straightaway. Makes us all feel better right?

Sushi
Sushi maker?! Wow did not know that such things exist! The idea came abt from Kidzania actually. L did the sushi chef job and he enjoyed it. Then we had a playdate and some Korean mummies made incredibly yummy korean sushi. So thought of doing a sushi day with the kids since they love eating it
happy.gif

Doggie
That sch is quite a hothouse isn't it? But it is definitely a good school. A few schools have these orientation tests. My son's does not. Super duper relaxed. http://singaporemotherhood.com/articles/2011/11/the-p1-orientation/

youpi

i was given the impression it was not but rather focuses on holistic development of the children?!? A friend's daughter is in P1 there now and there is hardly any homework, compared to a few neighbourhood schs in the same area, and so she tells me! *sweat*

Why did you have the idea it's a hothouse?

Doggie
My friend's child in P2 is having problems and feeling stressed... well it really depends on the child too. Those from our kindy shouldn't have a problem lah. The ones from S's batch are all fine, and doing extremely well
happy.gif

erm i would have imagined those from our kindy might have a problem actually wahaha! our curriculum is super relaxed - no spelling, no tingxie, that little bit of homework is so incredibly easy! :p i saw some of the child care centres curriculum of my friends and it scared the living daylights out of me!

T1's hypy needs to be improved on! if only i was as disciplined as you in making sure I only spoke mandarin! regretting it big time now! haizz!

Doggie
Well it could be that the kindy's relaxed pace actually worked out for the kids by helping them to learn better. You are right though, the curriculum in some child care centres is very scary! Eh Berries should have taught T1 hypy already. She will be doing higher chinese in P1 right?

Cellow
Need to know hypy by P1.

Cellow,
Welcome to the Wah-Lau-Eh era.
Remember multiplication tables? I remember only learning it in Primary School. Apparently it's no longer the case. But not sure if this is another urban legend.

Eh, Christmas party how ah? 15 or 16? SY can only do 15, dd can only do 16. Once we decide on date, then we can decide on venue. But definitely must be sheltered due to the wonderful rainy season.

doggiebb
which sch is T1 in? lost track...

yah they are growing up so fast! felt a bit teary...think i might just cry at grad concert this sat haha.

JH's orientation went fine. think they played some games to get to know each other, learnt sch song etc. no tests! haha surprising right even though it is NYPS...haha

youpi

yes, higher chinese in P1. i wish it was just normal chinese. i would be soooo much happier.

its taught at berries but she is not absorbing it as well as she should!

SY

PM you the sch.

Thanks for the wishes dearies! I hope she can get into the school she wants.

Yes when Ashley was in P1 also have Higher Chinese. It is manageable right until pri 4. pri 5 will have a change of syllabus to prepare for PSLE, everything will be a lot more difficult.

Sushi
There are a lot of youtube videos on how to make sushi rolls. They are quite easy to do. Just need to buy the sushi mix, seaweed. child friendly filling would be the imitation crab, egg, avocado and carrots.

Ackkk! U girls r freaking me out.. I can't even do basic preschool mandarin!

Youpi.. No higher Chinese in S's school right? :D

And oh... We gotto look for a school for G's meimei (oh my Poor wallet) now... Think we most prob would rule out the school really near us cos FIL said: just drive by n look at the faces of the kids coming out n u will know... *gulp*

PS: Doggiebb... R u still in the area? :D or moved to another end of SG? Settling down well?

DD
A girl! A girl! Congrats!!!!!
happy.gif
Yes, there is higher chinese from P2 onwards if selected. What school is it that is nearby and which you and Doggie will not enrol your children in?

Doggie
What class is T2 in next year? WOnder if he and L will be classmates!

Oooh yah that is quite stressful. My neighbour's child always looks completely wrung out by the time she gets home. Aw T2 and L have no chance to be classmates liao. Btw that sushi maker looks kinda complicated, don't think my skinny boy has strength to pull and push! We'll just use the wooden mat. Hopefully they've had enough practice with plastercine to mould their sushi, hehe.

DD
congrats on your gal!!! hee must be elated!!

youpi, doggiebb
is aitong stressful? jh's fren is going there and he is staying at hillview! damn far but the mother still sending there.

re higher chinese
i think some sch do higher chinese from p1. i din know until recently!

First before I freak out with all this new P1 information...

dd,
Congrats! I'm sure G will sayang his mei mei until no tomorrow. And of cos Mr dd as well. They always say girls have a way of wrapping their dads around their fingers.
happy.gif

Primary School, Higher Chinese! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dd,
congrats on the meimei!

P school
i m still running away from Tao Nan. lalala.
methinks all 5 hokkien huay kuan schools are equally acad focussed.

okok, now i must resume my speak mandarin campaign at home to C1 and C2. when i tried a few months ago with C1, he told me, mama you are not lao shi, why are you speaking chinese...... he can recognise ren (person), yun (cloud), da (big), xiao (small) and of course feng shan (fan) and feng che (windmill)... and i think not much else

FAINT

from everyday conversations with C1, i know he is able to do simple addition and subtraction up to 5 (ok maybe up to 10, but he does tend to giggle and run off to find his fav fans, so i dun really know if he can really add and minus up to 10) in the form of story problems. i m not even thinking abt multiplication tables. i havent taught and the school has taught any math notation like what does +, -, x and = mean.

chill cellow, chill.

C2 is learning to sort colours and shapes now. that is his math training at home.

haiyoor i do all this only before it is FUN, and it keeps me and them occupied. passing exams is the furthest thing from my mind right now.

i need advice

A, C1's classmate, said C1 was a loser during last Sat's concert. C1 brooded for ~2 days then asked me this morning "Mama, am i a winner or loser? A said I am a loser...." as we were all getting dressed.

quelling the urge to go over and punch A in the nose right now, i hugged C1 and told him firmly 'you are Mama's winner. you were sick with fever last Sat [.... Friday I brought him to PD for 2nd MMR jab....], and you still danced and sang. Mama and Papa enjoyed your performance very much'

so how... should i tell the teachers? and if so, how should i bring it up?

Mama Bear is roused. try as i may, i will not stuff Mama Bear back into the closet.

geez... all these talk abt P1 is honestly freaking me out. Wuffy is asked to repeat his N2 chinese at berries cos his standard is really not there. he refuses to speak chinese at home, he will tell me not to speak Chinese. And he declares himself as an English boy, not Chinese boy... hiaz... dunno how. Can pass normal chinese i happy enuff, higher chinese can look for some other kids.

Cellow, some kids are really ill brought up. I had a K2 kid who literally spat at Wuffy, phelgm and all cos Wuffy's swimming toys (the usual squeaky toys) were "lame". almost drowned the kid.

Back