(2008/07) July 2008

ling
try not to worry too much. u need to rest and sleep also. try to sleep more on left side also.

ivy
yes it is 5mg a day. i went to buy my own as i haven seen gynae yet

little bear
hihi, my boy turning 2 next Jan. like u, i also feel quite bad that i can't do more with him. are you FTWM or SAHM? not enough energy to play with him

missy
there's a difference between the weeks counted from LMP and the actual gestation no of weeks. (that wd be from the date it is conceived) usually think it is abt 2 weeks off.

Hui Lin
yeah, better that u go back to your mum's place. hee, i m going to gynae this wed. update us after u see your gynae.

i have a bit of MS but not as bad as previous. previously i wd throw up first thing in the morning.

SY
am a FTWM. But now is low period so not that bz. Does your boy still ask you to carry him? I am still carrying her around, but i try not to if possible, most of time very difficult.
Didn't throw up during 1st preg.. had q an easy time except for lost of appetite during 1st trimester, other than that.. had a smooth preg. Haven't told my work place people yet.

I am seeing Dr Oei Pau Ling from Gleneagles.

Okie.. do update after all your gynae visits!

little bear, SY,

I'm taking folic acid now. BUt taking 2x. One in the morning and one in the evening.

I also take Obimin once in the morning after breakfast.

I remember last time my gynae ask me to eat folic acid 3 x aday

Very KS hor.

SY, u seeing gynae tomorrow? Your apt morning or afternoon? U excited?

little bear
yeah my boy stil wants me to carry. think he's more than 12kg already...sometimes when i tell him to come down and walk he will say no.... and he's very sticky at night.

my gynae is Dr HC Han from KK.

i just changed jobs so i haven told my workplace pple yet except for one colleauge

miracle
i only take the folic acid once a day. did your gynae ask u to take so many times?

i haven started taking obimin. going to get from my gynae tmr.

yup seeing him in the afternoon. of cos i m excited! been counting the days since last week...

we shd do an update of all our bb EDD too.

SY,

I'm the opposite of you. I supposedly fix appt this thurs to see gynae. Then i change my mind and think maybe postpone to next week which by then i should be in my 7th week. So more or less by then heartbeat should either be there or not there.

If i go this week, and if heartbeat is not detected, i will have to wait for another 2 more weeks before going back to see gynae lor.

So i think better for me to endure one more week then go.

Good luck for your visit tomorrrow. Pls keep us updated...

daily max for folic is 1000mcg or 1mg ... 5mg is 5000mcg = 5x the max intake recommended ... is this right ? i bought the GNC folic acid , 100tablets 800mcg each $10 , does that mean i need to take 6pills aday to hit 5mg ? that's alot! also , any other good gynae besides dr caroline of TMC ?

Hi all, found this very interesting piece of new : Anxiety & Pregnancy article (long but worth the read), backdated yr 2005

Anxious moms-to-be may have kids with behavior problems

FRIDAY, July 16 (HealthDayNews) A woman who is anxious or stressed while pregnant is at greater risk of bearing a child who will develop an anxiety disorder or behavior problems, a new study says.
The period between 12 and 22 weeks of pregnancy were found to be particularly crucial for increasing risk, said Bea Van den Bergh, a psychologist at Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium.
Van den Bergh is lead author of the study, published in the July/August issue of Child Development.
Maternal anxiety during that period was associated with a heightened risk of a child developing hyperactivity symptoms, "acting out" behavior problems, and their own anxiety problems, Van den Bergh found.
Doctors have known for years that a woman's emotional state during pregnancy can affect her unborn child.
The new study adds to previous research finding the same link, said Van den Bergh, but with an important difference.
"The strength of this study is that questionnaires on the behavior of the child were not only completed by the mother, but also by the teacher, by an independent observer and also by the child," Van den Bergh said.
In the study, Van den Bergh's team evaluated data on 71 mothers and their 72 first-born children, collecting information while the mothers were pregnant and then when the children were age 8 or 9 years old. The mothers reported on their anxiety levels throughout pregnancy. When the children were 8 or 9, questionnaires were completed by the mothers, a teacher and an impartial observer, with complete data collected on 52 children.
The data found that "anxiety during pregnancy explained 22 percent of the differences children show in hyperactivity symptoms, 15 percent of the differences in "acting out" and aggression problems, and 9 percent of the differences in anxiety, after controlling for other factors such as smoking during pregnancy, birth weight and mothers' anxiety after the birth," she said.
Van den Bergh subscribes to the "fetal programming hypothesis," which states that certain upsetting factors that occur during sensitive periods of a fetus' development can "program" certain biological systems in the unborn child. This programming can predispose the child to certain diseases and emotional disorders, she said.
The finding doesn't surprise Dr. Diana Dell, an assistant professor of obstetrics and gynecology and psychiatry at Duke University. "I think it's very much in line with what animal data has been suggesting for a long time and human data for a shorter time," she said.
"What this study is saying is, moms who are under constant stress in the second trimester, those children have increased rates of some developmental disorders in childhood. When a mother is anxious or depressed during pregnancy that's not a neutral impact," Dell said.
If a woman needs help dealing with anxiety during pregnancy, Dell suggests she consider working with a therapist, learning calming techniques, or asking her doctor about other options.
Stress during pregnancy is partly society-driven, Dell said: "Women are under enormous pressure to make perfect babies." Even if her obstetrician asks if she's feeling stressed, a woman may not own up to feelings of anxiety or depression, Dell said.
It's not easy for pregnant women to feel stress-free, but Van den Bergh suggests they try to relax as much as possible. "Try to understand that when you are stressed or anxious the body reacts and that [stress] hormones go to the fetus," she tells them.
"Try to cognitively cope with the situation, for instance when you are in a traffic jam, to keep control," she said.

-- Kathleen Doheny, HealthDayNews

Found this article in US pregnancy forum.

hi all,
had found out about my pregnancy 2 weeks ago, calculated EDD is 28jun but after scan yesterday (can see heartbeat), the EDD is 5th Jul.
I have a 6th month old boy.

I would like to consolidate all mummies particulars such as
<font color="0000ff">Nick
# of children
EDD
Gender of bb
Hospital
Gynae
Address Zone: North, South, East, West, Central
</font>

You can PM me.

ivy
i think i read before that shd take 5mg. let me check with my gynae today

miracle
hee, i very anxious one. hopefully can detect heartbeat. i know may not be but try lah

sparks
yeah i also think got correlation. i used to be quite impatient and a bit bad tempered in the last pregnancy. hee, my boy is impatient now.

jeanyard
PM u already and congrats!! are you SAHM or FTWM?

Hi, moms
happy.gif
I'm a 3rd time preggie mom, same as Miracle. My EDD is 2 July 08 but cos mine for sure will be a planned c-sect at around 38 weeks so for sure will deliver in June instead. Yesterday visited gynae, everything's ok and can detect heartbeat already
happy.gif

Miracle - My last menses was 30 Sept and based on my visit to gynae yesterday, I'm 6 weeks 2 days (though based on scan, it is 6 weeks 3 days).

SY - I'm taking folic acid of 1000mcg daily.

SY,
I'm FTWM but on leave today. usually don't have much time to chat in forum after birth of my bb (his nick is Cookie)

AMM and Miracle,
I need to learn from you. HOw do you manage 2nd or 3rd kid?

im also FTWM but do u all feel tired ? i this few days after lunch come back wow my eye like going to close so sleepy.. then after work faster go home take my cough medicine the sleep around 9pm but the next day wake up at 8am also feel very tired. .

ling,
are you having a bad cough? if not, try not to take too much medicine. I'm quite skeptical about taking medicine when preggie.

I bought the 2nd plan $370 one time payment. My colleagues twins were born with complications and had surgery. so thought I can some insurance.

<table border=1><tr><td>Jul 2008 MTB</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>Nick</TD><TD>EDD</TD><TD>Gender</TD><TD>Hospital</TD><TD>Gynae</TD><TD>Zone</TD><TD>#Children </TD></TR><TR><TD>AMM</TD><TD>2-Jul</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD>2 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Ivy Tan</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>Jeanyard</TD><TD>5-Jul</TD><TD> </TD><TD>KKH</TD><TD>NIL</TD><TD>West</TD><TD>1 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Ling</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>Little bear</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD>Gleneagles</TD><TD>Dr Oei Pau Ling</TD><TD> </TD><TD>1 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Miracle</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD>1 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Missmissy</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD>Dr Adrian Woodworth</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>Sparks</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD>KKH</TD><TD>Dr HC Han</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>Sy</TD><TD>early Jul</TD><TD> </TD><TD>KKH</TD><TD>Dr HC Han</TD><TD>East</TD><TD>1 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Wu Hui Hui</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD>TMC</TD><TD>Dr Caroline</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </td></tr></table>

Jeanyard,

ya my cough very bad think i cough about 1mth + already still havent recover...the cought medicine is given by kk hospital so i think is ok ba.

ling,
from your nick, you seem young. me v old, paiseh to put in the forum...

re: cough
try to drink kat-bang (dried orange skins from Chinese medicine hall) boiled with water. it will clear your cough in 3 days' time.

<table border=1><tr><td>Jul 2008 MTB</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>Nick</TD><TD>Age</TD><TD>EDD</TD><TD>Gender</TD><TD>Hospital</TD><TD>Gynae</TD><TD>Zone</TD><TD>#kids </TD></TR><TR><TD>AMM</TD><TD>31</TD><TD>2-Jul</TD><TD> </TD><TD>Gleneagles</TD><TD>Dr Tanny Chan</TD><TD>North</TD><TD>2 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Ivy Tan</TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>Jeanyard</TD><TD></TD><TD>5-Jul</TD><TD> </TD><TD>KKH</TD><TD>NIL</TD><TD>West</TD><TD>1 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Ling</TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>Little bear</TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD>Gleneagles</TD><TD>Dr Oei Pau Ling</TD><TD> </TD><TD>1 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Miracle</TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD>1 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Missmissy</TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD>Dr Adrian Woodworth</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>Sparks</TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD>KKH</TD><TD>Dr HC Han</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>Sy</TD><TD></TD><TD>early Jul</TD><TD> </TD><TD>KKH</TD><TD>Dr HC Han</TD><TD>East</TD><TD>1 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Wu Hui Hui</TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD>TMC</TD><TD>Dr Caroline</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </td></tr></table>

AMM, I put #2 for you cos that column is for no. of kids currently.

AMM and Miracle,
yeah do share with us how to manage more than 1 kid.

mummies
went for my scan yesterday. cannot see bb yet. a bit disappointed. gynae also tot shd be able to see. anyway to reassure me he ask me to go back to scan again next weke.

sparks
he's a very funny gynae right.....

AMM
i take 5mg of folic acid a day. hmm, i wonder what is the recommended since gynae all say different dosage.

ling
yeah i feel very tired too. after lunch i struggle to keep awake and at night, i fall asleep even before my boy sleeps. somehow this pregnancy seems to be very tiring.

like u, whne i was pregnant the first time, i coughed for very long. my fren said some pple's immunity not very good when pregnant. u can also boil some chinese pear with almond to drink. good for cough. i took a lot of cough medicine also during that time. try to get vit c also.

SY and Jean

Thank for the cough drink that u all intro i will go and try cos i drink the cough medicine make me even more tired. . every day late for work at least 1hr but heng my boss very understanding he kn i very tired that y he never scold me for late....

SY so when is yr next appointment for the scan? did the doctor said u how many week already? u dun need to worry so much everthing will be ok for every MTB... i also worry cos that time no heart beat detect then my appointment is on 21 nov like i have to wait very long like that and i hope this time can detect the heart beat...

SY - Er.. no exact method.. just cruise along everyday I guess
happy.gif
Maybe to share my daily schedule.. usually I reach home abt 7pm, the kids will meet me at the playground. I'll play with them for a while. After that it's a quick dinner, play with them somemore. I try to spend more time with my younger boy during this time cos he goes to bed early so don't have much time with him. At 8pm, I will start to put him to bed. Once he sleeps, my 2nd shift with my older gal starts. So it's playing, reading with her till her bedtime at 10pm. After that maybe 1/2hr of TV time with hb, then it's off to bed for me
happy.gif
My boy wakes up about 6.30-7am. So I spend some time with him, playing and eating breakfast together before I leave for work at 7.20am...Sounds quite a mouthful right?
happy.gif

This 3rd pregnancy so far still ok. Don't really feel tired yet.. hopefully same as the 1st 2, hardly any morning sickness..

ling
my next appt is actually in dec but my gynae asked me to pop by next week to do a scan.

AMM
sounds like a tiring schedule. i hope to have enough time for both. i m feeling quite tired now so every night hope my boy can sleep early. but he does the opp. he seems to be sleeping later and later.

Hi all mummies to be,

I'm new to this tread, presently i'm abt 4 week pregnant. been vomiting the whole day can someone advise me is there anything to prevent this

SY
Me also seeing DR Han tomolo. Hope can see the bb already. This is my third pregnancy and i have a 2yrs+ boy and a 1yrs+ ger. My first day of my last menses was 03 oct so should be 6wks now.

ling,
you married at such a young age! but now you are just right be pregnant cos at 22, most of us tend to have some identity crisis.

SY,
bb should be able to be scanned by 7th week. are you there now?

AMM,
really peifu how you manage your kids. Err, do you have a maid to help? cos I spend a lot of time tidying the house. quite a neat freak.

Serene,
you can get medicine from gynae for your MS but suggest you snack a lot to avoid emptiness in your stomach.
I can divide my chicken rice in 3 -4 portions a day.

Ling,
first time baby usually go for boy so your MIL won't nag. think most HB prefer boy too. it's still the old thinking.
based on my previous preg, this is accurate calculation.

Serene, chloe,
welcome welcome. pls update me your details.

Jeanyard,

I have trying to snack but whatever I eat will be thron out the very next moment. The family doctor have given me medicine for my MS but yet to see gynae. most likely will go for DR Sandy Lek at Joo Chiat Clinic.

<table border=1><tr><td>Jul 2008 MTB</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>Nick</TD><TD>Age</TD><TD>EDD</TD><TD>Gender</TD><TD>Hospital</TD><TD>Gynae</TD><TD>Zone</TD><TD>#kids </TD></TR><TR><TD>AMM</TD><TD>31</TD><TD>2-Jul</TD><TD> </TD><TD>Gleneagles</TD><TD>Dr Tanny Chan</TD><TD>North</TD><TD>2 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Chloegal</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>KKH</TD><TD>Dr HC Han</TD><TD></TD><TD>2 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Ivy Tan</TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>Jeanyard</TD><TD></TD><TD>5-Jul</TD><TD> </TD><TD>KKH</TD><TD>NIL</TD><TD>West</TD><TD>1 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Ling</TD><TD>24</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD>East Shore</TD><TD>Dr Heng</TD><TD>East</TD><TD>0 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Little bear</TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD>Gleneagles</TD><TD>Dr Oei Pau Ling</TD><TD> </TD><TD>1 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Miracle</TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD>1 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Missmissy</TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD>Dr Adrian Woodworth</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>Serene Yap</TD><TD>27</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>East</TD><TD>0 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Sparks</TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD>KKH</TD><TD>Dr HC Han</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>Sy</TD><TD></TD><TD>early Jul</TD><TD> </TD><TD>KKH</TD><TD>Dr HC Han</TD><TD>East</TD><TD>1 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Wu Hui Hui</TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD>TMC</TD><TD>Dr Caroline</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </td></tr></table>

serene
morning sickness can't be prevented. u can try to eat small and frequent meals. in fact morning sickness is a sign that your pregnancy hormones are there.

chloegal
my LMP is also 3 Oct but i cannot see bb yet. plus i have a short cycle. Dr Han tot can see also but cannot see yesterday.

good luck with yours!

wow number 3 also....salute!

Jeanyard
i think i m abt 6 weeks but based on the scan, the bb looks like 5 weeks and 3 days. maybe still too young

Hi,

Is it true that as some ppl believe after 3 months of pregency than inform the rest of the family members. So far only my mother n one of my close colleague know abt it.
I dun wish to let my mother in law know coz she will start to inform all her relatives n my hubby brothers n sisters

jean,

boy or gal i think should be ok i just wan the bb come to the world safely and every thing normal can already.

serene.
i think my MIL also dun kn yet cos i never tel her but not sure my hubby got inform her anot but anyway she kn or dun kn make no diff to me cos last time when my hubby bro wife preg she also never do or care for her so i dun expect she do anything to me. but for my side my mother kn already she very happy lor tell my sis and brother then become my whold family kn about it..

serene,
sometimes we paiseh to inform others cos want to wait for bb to be more stable and this will be after the first term. but ok to tell family members so they'll care for us.

ling,
last time my MIL doesn't know abt my preggie even when my tummy is showing!

SY,
my calculated edd was 27jun but after the scan, they adjusted to 5jul. u think it's due to ovulation different date?

serene
hee, morning sickness doesn't mean that it happens in morning only. it is just a term to refer to a symptom. for me this time round, it happens any time of the day as well but a lot in the evenings whereas first round is really morning.

it is up to individual how comfortable u r to tell pple. some pple prefer to wait for bb to be stable like what jeanyard say. the more superstitious ones believe that bb will be angry if u tell pple abt it before 3 months.

i already told my family and some close frens. my hb din tell my MIL...dunno why but like ling, when i preg she also never do anything for me so not much difference. my mum will start to plan when to let me take tonics etc. cordyceps is good but dun take any tonics until first trimster over.

jeanyard
yours is the ultimate..how come your MIL din know??

i calculated my edd to be 9th Jul, my gynae cal to be 10th Jul but he said likely to be late.

SY,
MIL not v observant and HB just kept quiet. later than blame me for not informing. wah lao, even my kay poh colleagues can tell by looking at my clothes.

think this time round will keep quiet. but must remind myself not to carry bb else will strain

Back