(2008/03) March 2008

aiyo,

my mil worse, when we were having dinner in the rest in hk, she feed my son rest food, egg white york...my face turn black after i showed she feed him and snatched brendon back to me. lucky my hubby told her "we just want to eat a peacefull dinner" hehehehe....

my mum said must add soysouce so baby will be strong.faintzzzzzzz i nv let my mum or my mil cook my baby's food.

mikael: i think my mil think like u.. haha, give sweets to entice my boy over to her side. but i threate to remove him frm her totally. so she dare not actually feed forbidden foods. hehe

reena: my mil made a statement - aiyah, u nv put soya sauce in e porridge, where got nice to eat?
then she went to buy a bottle of soya sauce. claiming tat this particular bottle has lower salt content. so my son can eat. i still say no.
now my son is drinking soup 2x a day. no rice as he dun like to eat rice.
ur #3 eating yet?

YT,
All my 3 kids dun sleep well... So envious of you.

Pet,
Thanks for the tip. The last I made these kueh, I didn't store in the fridge as my gf told me it will change the texture of the kueh when thawed. I'm give this MV heating a try.

Kate,
Did you start him on any new food? If not, it could prob be due to the weather change.

Mikael,
Too much of anything is no good, as long as it's taken in moderation, it shouldn't cause too much harm.

Sugar free candies,
Honestly speaking, when they say sugar free, it means they add chemicals/artificial flavors in it to substitute for the sugar. And this is worst than sugar esp if you are not diabetic.

lucky my mum is taking care of my boy and not my mil. usually when my parents feed him food which i disapprove of, i will shout loudly. My mum will tend to listen more and don't anyhow feed. It is my dad who tend to feed him anything...

when can we give oranges and other citrus fruits?

Pet,
Hahaha... my MIL said the same thing too! "So bland how to eat??"

Nope, still not eating well... I give up leow. Now I give up feeding her, she's self feeding and I feel that she's eating better when she self feed. I give her any food that is not mushy so she can self feed. Having said that, she's not eating any carbo now since she can't hold the spoon yet.

talking abt sugar free, i always argue wif my hb over coke light & coke zero...
i told him tat both r juz as bad as normal coke. juz diff ingredients to replace sugar or calories...
real sugar is better than artificial sweetener. i think.

reena: i give him plain rice in his bowl n let him self feed. super messy. but at least some goes in.
i give him spinach soup.
handful spinach leafs
5 "gouqi"
1 cup water
using a very small saucepot
boil till leafs turn very soft, i'll use scissors to chop up e leafs.
use strainer pour out e balance soup in bowl.
use spoon to mush e spinach through e strainer into e soup.
then i'll let my boy drink e soup. at least he'll eat some mushed spinach.

another soup i always give my boy is corn soup.

a handful corn seeds (plucked from whole bar of corn cob)
a few "gouqi"
1 red date (remove seed)
2 slices of "pao sheng"
half a carrot (diced)
2 slices of pork fillet(diced)
i'll cook all the indgredients in 2 cups of water, adding more when necessary.
while boiling e soup, i'll use pounder to pound out the juices of all e ingredients.
same thing, i'll strain out all e ingredients and let ryan drink e soup only.

he loves both soup. i think he's more of a water person.. i use thermos to carry his soup when i go out. so when he is hungry, i'll give e soup. and perhaps some plain rice separately.

my dad likes to experiment on foods with my boy. EVERYTIME when we eat he insist on feeding him what's on the table. just shove it into the boy's mouth for "taste-taste". last weekend he gave my boy kum and grape. went home then realise grape may be allegenic. but it's hard to keep saying No No , then they'll complain about us parents being too anal and strict.

there was once dad criticized that we keep giving him our food, which is too salty, that's why he rejects his own porridge. i cldn't tahan and told him that every weekend HE is the one who keeps giving him our food off the table too leh!

hi mummies, had been busy with work so hv been quite some time since i visited this thread.. Sooo many things to read!
happy.gif

Eating paper
Surprisingly, paper is the fav food/toy for all babies as I learnt from this thread! the babies are getting stronger & smarter.. when I try to dig out the papers from her mouth, she jux clams it real hard that I can't stick my fingers in. She doesn’t even cry now when I attempty to pry it open, so I can't even get a chance to get those fingers in.

Petrina/Reena
Yeah, they like to 'self-feed', but it's usually v messy & most of the food is lost. So I usually give her a spoon to play, while I feed her with another spoon. It usually works, but just takes longer..

Toby
high-5! I tried cordoning a play area for chloe using sofas & coffee table. but now she is escaping fr her prison by climbing up the coffeetable.. haiz!

ABC
your boy learns fast.. Chloe took her 1st few steps a mth ago, but now prefers to crawl rather than attempt walking.. plain lazy…

bb behaviour
it's quite funny that they do know that what they are munching is wrong, but they will continue doing that. My gal found the door wedge and was chewing it. when I said no very loudly, guess she got a fright & threw it away. But when I turn ard a while later, I saw her chewing again. She actually threw it away on her own accord when she saw my angry face, showing that she knows it's wrong right? then she does it again when I turn away. Sigh, think it's part of the baby behaviour of doing things they are not supposed to.

blue_skies
James is so chubby, I wanna pinch his cheeks!
happy.gif

BB talking
my bb dun talk or even babble much… jux hoping she starts babbling soon.. bb usually develop at different pace, so will only worry if she is not speaking at 2yr.. saw something on sign-ing.. anyone tried?

Aly
can understand how u feel, the grandparents always think they know best.. the doc mtd recommended above is still the best, thou I try to print/cut articles out if i want to send some msg over…

Petrina/Reena
Yeah, they like to 'self-feed', but it's usually v messy & most of the food is lost. So I usually give her a spoon to play, while I feed her with another spoon. It usually works, but just takes longer..

kate,

my boy also suffered from v bad rashes when he first came back from States. His pd told me that he is hving eczema and asked me to use Cetaphil to bath him and keep applying moisturiser every 2hrs. He recovered in abt a week time. Maybe u can give it a try too.

Yutong
my mum's b'day is on 31st of Jan so can't make it to Lao Yusheng at your pl, tks for the invitation though
happy.gif

Reena
hope chelsea will be like your DD1 soon and be more sociable
happy.gif
tks for the tips

feeding baby
i just feel that many old ppl here don't respect us. my own parents will often pooh pooh my objections and just continue feeding baby whatever they want...sometimes i have to be very firm and assertive bfor my dad will stop feeding bb cake, you tiao or whatever he has :p it's v. annoying arrrrgggh :p

blueskies
i did baby signing with #1...i wasn't v. diligent in teaching her but she still picked up v. useful signs like "milk" and "more"...even when kids start to speak, many times it's not v. clear and sign language really helped me understand her better so i practise that with bb tommy too
happy.gif

yt, the weekend I'm fully booked from afternoon to night so can't make it. sorry!

btw, those mums living in amk, there's chingay parade in our neighbourhood. bring yr bb to go n see!

now tt i'm a mom, i'm more on to let my bb enjoy new experience. hehe.

Sorry to interrupt.

Brand new Oobi 1950s PARTY DRESS - SIGNATURE MULTI DOTS + matching Parisienne Bloomers SET to let go!

Dress: Length from shoulder is 45cm.
Chest is 28cm.

Matching Parisienne bloomers
Waist: (circumference before being stretched) 40cm
Length: 24cm
Leg hole: (before being stretched)13cm

2098929.jpg
2098930.jpg

My gal couldn't fit in... *sob*.

Interested, pls email me at [email protected]. Tks!

my problem is becos she is my mil... i will try to ask my hubby to tell her things.
wan to be gd daughter in law mah.. in the olden days hor, daughter in law cannot talk back one. my mil alrdy 67 yrs old.
my sil (50 yrs old) also anyhow feed my gal off the table. if nt alot, i will pretend i nvr see den juz make a comment " actually she is nt supposed to eat tat." recently i got a list from PD on foods that cannot be eaten and made my hubby paste on their fridge. don't think anyone read though.
sad.gif

ya.. my mil says the porridge so bland nt nice to eat. but my gal enjoys eating plain rice. she juz hates the fishy porridge my mil feeds her. so to mask the fishy taste, she added soy sauce. so unhappy that i was thinking of taking my gal to infant care instead. but my hubby says there worse, if they feed my gal shit, i wont even know. haiz
sad.gif

kate
zayed had the same problem when we came bck from batam. Brought him to PD and he gave me a tub f cream. Apple a few days and gone already. Dun worry. I don't think its serious. Judging from the previous replies, guess it's normal
happy.gif

aly:
I think infant care better, more like your hubby don wana make the elders unhappy by taking your baby away.. I feel lah. Man they scare of all these "women" problem

abc
just saw the videos. Very good walking, I should say
happy.gif

Babies walking early
Don't think it correlates with smartness. The only thing to worry is if your baby is quiet, anti social and misses the crawling stage. Cos these things together are signs of autism.

aly
infant care may feed her the most wonderful stuff but I doubt they would love ur bb like ur MIL or SIL does
happy.gif
I just think somethings gotta give.

Anyway, our bbs are nearing 1 yr so their guts are stronger. The nutritionists advises mummies to give babies food from our plates in small portions after they are 1. So shouldn't be that threatening. Just my views
happy.gif

<font face="comic sans ms"> Just scanned thru e posts &amp; found something very interesting - Paper Eating

My Josiah also like to eat paper. In fact I find that he loves to put all sort of stuff other than food inside his mouth. I gave up cooking porridge for him now

<font color="aa00aa">babypink,

Wow, u renew yr wedding vows w Fann Wong... My HB did mention that we shld hv do a church wedding perhaps on our 10th anniversary which is tis yr if based on ROM date lah. BUT no way m I gng to do this while preg w #3.</font>

<font color="0000ff">ABC,

Congrats.. so gd to have Andrae walking, just in time for CNY</font>

<font color="aa00aa">Aly,

I used to face tis problem with my MIL too when I was staying w her. In the end, I also forbid her to feed/prepare my #1 DD's food. We sent her to infant care &amp; I wake up early in e morning to cook her porridge to bring to school.

After Infant care fails, we got a maid &amp; move back to our own house instead. MIL was barred from gng near my #1 DD till she agreed to stick to my method. However if yr MIL is e main caregiver for yr DD den u might hv a problem.</font></font>

jenifur, lucky u posted.. otherwise i'll think i'm the only crazy and paranoid mummy ard here. haha
cause i also like u. so particular abt my boy's health. i gave up my job to be main caregiver as my mil couldn't fulfill my requirements as main caregiver.
happy.gif

yasmin, i prefer to wait till the actual age then feed the appropriate foods.

thank's mummies for the advice. i know it's not vr serious but cny coming aiyo....when in hong kong, his face super nice, like red apples."sob sob"

ya pet, I agree that its best to wait till they are after 1.I'm doing the same too for most food items.

But I guess when you can't help it, it's comforting to at least know they are getting there.

kate
can feel your pain...we all want our kids to look their best esp during CNY...Brendon is still super cute and hopefully the rash will be much better by next monday
happy.gif

Aly,
Infant care should be better. Just afraid they won't get all the love and attention compared to Granny taking care.

But at this age, dunno whether they will get separation anxiety or whatever anxiety when we suddenly change their daily routine.

Its a bit difficult to control when there r so many "elders" around. Cos they will take turns and "shoot" your comments down. Try to keep nagging at them lor. And hope the baby will be ok. But if your MIL really put just a little bit of soy sauce, I think its ok. No other choice liao...

One more thing, like what Liyun says, men are scared of "women's" topics. If you keep bugging hubby also no use, then have to DIY, tactfully "remind" (nag) at your MIL daily. Lol
If not the hubby might feel we are very "fan". :x

Wish you luck!

It's true men don't want to get bogged down by women issues. But I insist my hb be the conduit of communication between me and MIL. right from the beginning i told him bluntly - "if i speak to your MIL, things will get so bad you will have to fight fires for us everyday. so u want to talk to her for me or shall i? " he got the point and does all the transmitting of potentially sensitive messages for us. it really is the best way, i can tell her the same thing as my hb, but somehow when i do it, it comes out the wrong way and she'd get sensitive about it. it's the different tone of voice and approach, my hb knows how to handle her better.

i let my hb talk anything sensitive with my mil too, but of coz if its concern with baby's well being, i won't hesitate to correct her.

I used to get DH to act as middleman and talk to MIL but I realised that message may get distorted/filtered. The tone put acrossed may not be correct too. MIL may misinterpret and "blame" me for the conflict between herself and DH. So now, I talk to MIL personally and leave dh out. Of course, I will talk to DH first and both of us agree that what I'm going to say is beneficial to our kids' well-being, I'll go ahead to shoot. I find that this method works better for us. No more misunderstanding and it in fact brought us (MIL and I) closer together.

haiz.. MIL &amp; DIL issues ... even though nt staying together, can oso have problems de..
thanks for all the advices. feel better that i m nt the only one fighting a losing battle. :p

AdelineL
Yeah, what's worse is the older folks will pooh pooh the 'NO' in front of the maid. Then maid will listen to who? what's more, my maid is supposed to listen to my mum in the day time…

kate
i heard that cetaphil &amp; california baby aloe vera cream is pretty good.. u might want to try.. stil got abt 1 wk til CNY, hopefully the rash goes away by then..

BlueSkies
yeah i find it v. hard to communicate with elders here...it's actually easier with my MIL who's ang moh cos when she gives her opinion, she'll always say that i'm the mum and i'm the one with the right to make the decision with regards to my kid and my MIL will follow my instructions...so different from my own parents *haiz*

Blue skies

thank's i will try

Dear march mummies,

i just started my home-online business, i will give a $5 discount to march mummies only who wants to get Polo RL, all are 100% authentic, just take a look, no obligation...i will try to find more cheaper n nicer stock every months to offer to our forum mummies. do let me know also if the price is more expensive than others so i can stay competitive, i'd love to hear from your feedback.

http://babystash.multiply.com/

hi kate, muz i sign up for multipy site before i can access ur website above? try to click ur link but it brng me to e login multipy website.

Reena/abc
yupz, my worst phobia is the kids cannot talk
cos my aunt's pal's grandchild din talk and got diagnosed with autism at 2 years old

Jenifur
hehe, ur hb is so romantic to suggest another wedding !
u can have with ur 3 kids
happy.gif
on the 11th anniversary ")

Lingyee
i have no patience to wait for the pics :p always wana get on the spot if possible ..to be honest, i really can't wait to see all of urs
happy.gif

hi mummies,

how's everyone? so many interesting posts, still trying to catch up. i have been so busy these days coz hubby had 3 days off so we have been running errands and everywhere is packed with people.

congrats to the mummies whose babies are walking, aren't they the cutest things ever when you see their small feet tapping on the floor?
happy.gif
mine is still happily walking away even if he is walking into the wall.
happy.gif

Reena, i made the steamed sponge cake this morning, and it does taste like sponge..not that i have eaten sponge before. hahaha!
2102400.jpg

i just bought a whisk and beat the batter like crazy, my workout for the day.
happy.gif

AdelineL, i love that personalized bib on chelsea, she will always have that for memory, eh? i should have gotten something like that for nate. the photos of her with the hair band are so cute.

Blueskies, baby james is cute, quite chubby too. has he gotten his first hair cut? coz he has alot of hair, compared to my baby. and 13kg is heavy.

Babypink, i saw your photo in the Today paper, good thing you picked a good position to be in.
happy.gif
now you can add the newspaper cutting to your vow renewal collection, that made it even more memorable, eh?

re:shephard's pie, at the mention of it, my mouth just waters. i love this dish, i will make it if i am in the mood to mash the potatoes. i add alot of corn kernels in it and the dish is juicer. Clover, do you put in anything different for yours other than meat and potato?

re:baby talking
mine is babbling away, i don't even know if he is saying a word. i know that he can call me mama
but he looks at hubby and calls mama too.
happy.gif

re:baby sleeping
CPYT, very envious of your baby, he must be quite chubby, eh? my baby is a light sleeper, i can't move too much when i sleep coz he will wake up, he is such a drama mama!

re:fruits
i have yet to really feed my baby any fruits, apples get brown fast, and i don't want to add salt so i don't know what to do. anyone can advise?

re:eek:lder folk issues
can totally understand how stressful it can be when others are giving their opinions and very insistence on them. currently, i don't have such issues, coz my parents are staying in another country so i am all on my own. good and bad, bad is when i have baby problems, i also have to deal with them by myself.
sad.gif

<font face="Comic sans ms"><font color="0000ff">Pet,

I have made it known to DH that I can bear w MIL's other rubbish BUT NOT when it concerns my children. Lucky me to have a very supportive DH. Actually feeding junks to my #1 DD was not e only "stunt" she pulled back then. She had even once pour away 5 bottles of my EBM &amp; force feed my girl FM hor. M so glad to be staying away from her now.</font>

<font color="aa00aa">babypink,

I told my DH to wait till #4 is born &amp; able to walk. Then we can have 2 pairs of flowergirl/boy *hee*</font>

<font color="0000ff">Reena,

I wana try making e 9 layer Kuih Lapis. I know it sounds stupid but wat sort of container do u used to steam e kueh huh? Can I used e my baking tin? And do I have to oil e pan 1st b4 pouring in e 1st layer?</font></font>

<center>
2102450.jpg
</center>

<font face="comic sans ms"><font color="0000ff">babypink,

Just saw e link to yr site... e pictures are very nicely taken leh. U used Benjamin?

Have been thinking of gng to take family portrait but HB said must wait till Josiah knows how to walk. By then I dun feel like taking liao, not w a tummy.</font></font>

reena: i also used to ask hb as middleman and i encountered the same prob as u. end up MIL thinks i'm rude n problematic. so now we communicate directly to each other. it's better, i agree. at least we do not have hidden anger.

jenifur: so scary.. pour away ur EBM and force FM. can't think y this is this type of ppl ard.

reena: i baked pineapple tarts today. forgot to take pic as i was too busy baking tray after tray.
but hb say it's abit too creamy (buttery &amp; milky)
any other recipes to share?
then i had 6 egg whites.. dunno wat to do wif it. my hb is tired of eating pandan chiffon cake.. bleh...

Babypink,
seen ur family pics, very nicely taken and i think u like red..
happy.gif

i will be collecting all the pictures back for selection this friday! cant wait too! dun tink the album will be in time to show frds n family this cny..

Lingyee
hehe, i can't help laughing when i read ur post abt red :p
yupz, i m fanatic abt red, esp when cny is nearing bot countless red tops liao

Toby
i went to laminate :p

Jenifur
i love the idea, esp when all belong to the same family
happy.gif
looking forward to seeing ur 2 pairs of flowergals and flowerboys

yupz, i did, i think i will use Benjamin again next year too..to make kelicia smile like tat is no easy feat and he did it

<font color="0000ff">Happy CNY from Kelicia &amp; family
happy.gif
</font>
2102703.jpg

Back