(2008/03) March 2008

I love my brand new ameda pump. achieve 120ml which is a new record.... and the whole process so comfy. good investment!!!

Fei,
is it? I tried yesterday and its so depressing. So little and it hurts. How big is yours? Mine is pretty small. Wonder is it the same one? Can take photo and show?

happy.gif
Thanks ladies. Kinda stressed being a first time mum. Some more mine is a fretful baby. Gotta run now. Hopefully, I can let out some stress tomorrow.

Good luck to those who have not delivered yet. Congrats to all who popped!

Twinklestar, Cattail and Norman
So cute, our babies share the same birth date!

Fei,
jus in case you dunno wat i m talking about i m referring to the pump. Mine is very small. Pump up to 150ml.

1286620.jpg

Yu Tong, the one in your pic was the original one that i used in the first few days. It is very noisy and hurts if power set too high. in fact, i got some cracks on edge of nipple because no milk yet and i keep pumping every 2-3 hrs. Be careful not to drop on floor, mine was damage just like that.

so now i got ameda dual pump, more comfy because i don't need to hunch my back and it's hands free.

check out this website:-
http://www.mumsfairy.com/ultimate_kit.htm

Hi Babypink,

Pls update for me:

Popped date: 03-Mar-08
Bb Name: Ashley Oke
Bb Wt: 3.39kg
Birth Mtd: Nat epi

Here’s my bb pix! =)
1286627.gif

given time (after milk ss comes in), i suppose medela will probably do the work. but it's still hard work because need to bend over slightly and takes double the time. so after working out the time savings and concern for my back, i decide to invest on dual pump.

wanted to get medela pump in style initially because heard from a good friend that it is very good. Taka now selling $679 (with free themometer and cooler bag). but also heard from another friend that ameda is good, so i went with ameda ($420) because cheaper lah.

Oh ya, YU Tong, Badedube also gave me this tip. massage your beast before start to pump, put whole hand on breast and massage hard in circular motion, push the nipple down as well when massaging.

<font face="BOok Antiqua"><font color="0000ff">Fei,

I've finally made up my mind to get Ameda after hearing your feedback. Was using Medela PIS but find it doesn't clear my breast, I always end up hv to hand xpress again after pump &amp; worse it hurts my nipple.</font>

<font color="aa00aa">ABC,

My 1st batch of milk bag I put 90ml, 2nd batch is 130ml. I have the milk tray which freeze EBM in 1 oz so anytime not enuf can take &amp; top up</font>

<font color="0000ff">Yasmin,

1286655.gif

Your BB's double eyelid very obvious &amp; nice leh</font></font>

Actually before u pump, u should attempt a let down first. Just stimulate your nipples, touch it or pinch it or twist it..whatever, u will start feeling a burning sensation. That's when the milk will start to pour out. Then that's when u start pumping. U will get the best yield that way. It doesn't matter what pump you use. It's all about technique. Also, u can only express after the milk comes it, which is like 3 days post partum.

i've tried avent isis, medela electric single pump and ameda lactaline (which I used to use at work). all are equally good. for electric, you don't need to use the strongest settings, just medium will do. the idea is to match the way your baby sucks. also, when milk supply is dwindling, u can re-stimulate your nipples again to achieve another let down, then u'll get more milk.

good luck with expressing. me direct latching, tbf. every 2 hours baby will wake up to feed and i almost go crazy but must persevere. the first 6 weeks is always tough but you'll get used to it.

yasmin, fl, linda, twinklestar.. sorry if i missed out any,
congrats on your newest arrival!! for first timers, breastfeeding is indeed not that easy. what's with post-partum pain and adjusting to the baby, if u managed the first 6 weeks, u're very admirable already. i call it, the supermom! so jia you everyone!

thank you for sharing baby pictures everyone! i enjoy seeing them as well! keep'em coming!

Melissa and Mummy_Norman
Jus to check where r u all bringing yr bb for vacination? Since both of u stay in woodlands. I check out Yim Medical Clinic is $400 for 6 in 1, 5 in 1 and one more jab... cheap?

Jenifur
i oso hv the milktray. Thinking shld i freeze it now in 1 oz or later. Btw where to get freezer ziplog bag? Any supermarket? Where will u be storing the froozen 1 oz stick?

I feel bb like nt able to latch well when breast too soft. Any comments? Also realise left breast has more milk than right breast during expressing. How to increase the other side? Is it normal?

Fei
Do u get their supershield? I prob will be getting tat as the current shield does make my nipple sore. Prob i tun the suction too high?

My 17hrs of labour story

27 feb
10am insert tablet to induce/ 1.5cm dilated
1045 reach suntec to have lunch/ contractions coming in
1230 contractions, left suntec for TMC
2pm 3cm dilated/ admitted to TMC
6pm 4cm dilated/ use laughing gas/ dr wong burst waterbag/ having fever
9pm 6cm dilated/ use laughing gas and painkiller

28 feb
12am 7.5cm dilated/ ask for epidural
130am 8cm dilated/ epidural given/ keep wanting to push but push urine out
245am 10cm dilated/ nurse teach how to push/ start to push
316am princess ada is born
4am push to ward. vomit one bowl of waste and was running fever

never expect to have such a long labour. I was told that by 10pm i can deliver my ger. my parents and friends were anxiously waiting for my delivery news. my parents even came to tmc to wait.
luckily, i got very good gynae. dr wong supports natural birth. even though she mentioned that c-section is the fastest way but she still encourage me to try natural.
i was also heng to be given epi at 8cm.

abc,
which clinic is that? my nurse recommended dr lim in woodgrove. im thinking of doing it in polyclinic. maybe just take 5-in-1.

linda,
ur birth story very detail. i loike! dun worry next delivery will b shorter. at least u made it! congrats! did the epidural work? did u get snipped down there?

Mummies : hear so many stories about BF, make me quite stressed though my gal havent come out yet..Hmm, EBM can store in normal fridge for 24hrs, n can store in freezer for mths right? Pls correct me if im wrong. Is it take out can immediately warm it up for bb to drink or must wait a while first ah?

After my appt ytd evening, I need to go for induction on Sun morning... Not enough amiontic fluid (5.4cm). Very nervous now. Think I will opt for epi...

Hello mommies!

Thanks for the well wishes.

I having sleepless night in Mt A thus tot could update u girls on my birth story as i wont have access for 1 mth =)

I was at my gyne's clinic at 3pm. When at his clinic i can already feel abit contraction but i tot is normal pelvic ache so i brushed it off. when i told my gyne, he did a scan and mentioned that baby is still very comfortable in me thus tendancy is that she wont pop so early!! *He said 10% chance only for the previous visit*

So at 4pm i left his clinic, i can feel contraction but blur me.. thought it's braxton hicks so i just brushed it off. 1 hour about 1 time contraction.

10pm while chatting with the ladies, i feel that it's more frequent (my pain threshold is very high) so i went to bed thinking that BH will go away!.. not painful just uncomfortable.

at 12midnight - receive call that my uncle passed away, rushed down to SGH and had a glimpse of him, i cried and after that the contraction got worse. i still tot nothing serious!!!

3am i reached home.. pain is like once in 10mins no matter i walk, lie or sit.. i told HB might be fake one.. wait more and see! then i called my gyne.. he ask me what am i waiting for !! and got me to admit. ok fine.. i waited for hb at home until 4am.

4am.. hb reached home. bathe and brought me to Mt A.

4.30am .. at Mt A changed, broke water bag.. 3cm dilated.. loosen my stool etc etc.. until 5.30am..

From 6am to 7am, i got off CTG and was walking ard in the labour ward. pain still manageable. although more intense but i feel bettr when i'm not lying down!

7am, got striped up again, used laughing gas and requested fo pethidine.. well wel it works very well for me and guess what!! only 3 - 4 cm dilated.. ok fine.. wait further more. i was telling the nurs.. WOW so long only 3 - 4 cm!! must be kidding me..

8am.. ok 4cm dilated.. pain i still can endure leh! lol!...

8.30am.. 5cm dilated.. my hb told the nurse.. aiya still can sleep more. so long..

who knows at 8.45a i FEEL like pushing and pushing so i shouted immediately.. 'oh my god i wanna push!! i feel baby coming'.. the nurs checked immediately and she went 'shit fully dilated'.. she ran out and quickly shouted.. 'fully dilated! faster get doctor back!!!'

My gynae was with me since i admitted till about 7am.. then he went for a surgery!

from 8.45am to 9am.. it was HELLl!!!!!!!!!!!! they pushed me to my side to prevent me from pushing baby out and keep massaging for me! ask me to control!! i had a good midwife who encouraged me alot and ok fine.. i control.. i told all of them to shut up and let me relax and think properly.. i used laughing gas! breathe like crazy and i wanted them to kill me man! baby is coming but i cant push!!!!! i keep shouting out for my gyne..

9am.. he reached hosp in 15mins! quickly turned me over.. i was still enduring not to push!!
when i was told to push, i pushed 3 times and baby was out! i felt damn relieved!!
i grabbed my hb hand while waiting for gyne.. that period was like hell!!!

thruout my contraction, my hb was sleeping by my side like a log so i had to relax and console myself lol!.. and i am very proud to have done it alone!!! hhaaa..

well due to my uncle's passing away, my family couldnt come and visit me though they worry about me.
My worse worry is kimberly! noone looking after her, so after deliver i keep making phone call to ensure that she is ok!!
Everything came too sudden and i am not prepared at all!

I latched baby on well now and her baby doc says that she is way too rosy already. ask me feed baby more cause it might b her blood is slightly thicker then normal. other then that, baby is fine but tryto feed water!

For the rest of the mommy who have not delivery. Jia you ok!

If u ask me hw long was my labour pain, i dunno man! the real pain only kicks in about 7am but i am controlling it pretty well.
After delivery in my ward, noone came to wash me up so i actually went to wash myself and clean myself up, did everything myself lor. the stitches are not painful so i can walk ard easily. just that the post-partum contractions hurts and i have to request for painkiller.

cheryl,
i feel better now at least can feel contractions. it kicks in almost every 10 mins now. i am still waiting for it to get more intense before i admit.
but another worry, has cervix dilated? sigh...

Fei,
thanks alot for d info. i will go buy one good pump.

Adeline,
you are such a brave girl.Proud if u man! Cheers!

adeline: i was laughing while reading ur birth story.. u very gungho leh... can't slp? me also...
i dunno if i'll murder the nurse if she ask me hold n dun push... LOL
happy.gif

Pet
wah piang i've no choice! i dun want natural tear. the nurse was really motivating me!! and i am glad i made it! even hb said that i am very brave compared to 1st pregnancy!! haha..

YT
thanks! long birth story hor.. cause after latching i cant get to sleep!! hahaa..

eh surprisingly.. my stitches are not painful and think he didnt cut much also!

My baby girl is 2.77kg.. earlier by 3 weeks.

<font color="aa00aa">YT,
i also using that pump, agree is noisy. but so far so gd. ameda pump really too exp.
wana go orchard raise fund leh...spent a bomb on bb n me.</font>

Hi Ladies, missing for a long time but have been following up here.
I had a long birth story too..but phew everything is over, baby Kaleb was delivered at 40wks+2days.

6th march:
1am+: stomach cramp but shrug it off, tot its normal
2am+: brown discharge
3am+: sticky discharge with some blood stains and contractions every 10mins and called gynae and admit tmc at 5.40am
Reach tmc, sent to observation room, nurse confirm waterbag burst but only 1.5com dilate and was send to resting room until gynae arrive.
8am+: gynae suggest to be put on drip and fasten up dilation since only 1.5cm dilate and baby head still high and facing up
sad.gif

9am+: put on drip and wait for contraction, dnt wan epidural - hahah....
11am+: contractions came, tolerate...tolerate...tolerate..with hubby still working on laptop, tell him off..i in pain yet he could still work...he says finishing soon..
12.30pm: tak boleh tahan liao, ask for epidural...nurse ask me to read and sign, my hubby read the side effects...tell him dnt read liao, jus sign...
1pm: so relax....painless!! Only 4cm dilate
3pm: push to delivery ward and wait..still dilate not much
5pm: dilate only 6cm
6pm: epidural wearing off and tell gynae my lower back painful and he ask nurse to call anethesist to see me again
7pm+: Anethesist came, inform me the lower back not much confidence to block the pain but will give me another dosage of epidural, he tells me the amt of epidural i've taken can be use for c-sect...and standby another dose for nurse incase i want it.
8pm+: 7cm dilate and baby head stil high + facing upwards
then slowly wait for dilation
11am+: fully dilate and nurse ask me to give a few pushes to push the bb head down
12am+(7th march): gynae arrived and starting pushing again and gynae asked whether i wan suction, told him i try again
12.40am: cannot push liao, use suction and bb was out at 1am+!

Abc,
I think if you wan normal ziploc bag can get from ntuc. Daiyso also have but not sure about its quality.

Melody,
dun need to fear breastfeeding. Its actually worth it when you see your bb smiling and sound asleep after the breastfeeding. So Jia You! We all here to support each other!

Adeline,
good to be detail mah. Welcome to the breastfeeding club!
happy.gif

Morning mummies,
yesterday nite is very drama man! BB woke up at about 3plus with the vomittant in his mouth. Reason-din wanna burp after breastfeed. CL hold him backwards so he swallow his vomittant. He cry so loudly. I never heard him crying like that. Think he is in a state of shock. I quickly wipe his vomittant which is all over his mouth and clothes. Stil crying hysterically. I quickly ask my to take out the Jin Feng Powder to give BB. Seems to work after that cos BB managed to calm down and breastfeed him. BB went to sleep for the next 3 hours after the breastfeeding.

But something happened to me. I woke up a while after putting BB to sleep. I was shivering wif cold from inside of my body. Shivering so badly that i haf to wake my hubby up. He covered me with layers of comforter but i m stil cold. He hugged me on top of the layers of comforter but i m stil cold, shivering from my heart. He decided to make me a hot milo. I felt a bit better after drinking the whole cup of hot milo. Does any mummies have this before?

Vonn,
congrats for your natural delivery. Envy you.. cos i got emergency c sect. Anyway, u take care hor! Cheers!

good morning mummies! tks for the cute bb pics and the birth stories
happy.gif

glad that everyone who has given birth has done it, even though some suffer more than others!!

adeline
u v. lucky to have major pain for only a short time....but how come no one come and clean u up?? good thing u didn't tear much down there....i remember i could hardly move after my 1st labour :p.....don't worry too much abt Kimberly....i'm sure your mum or aunty will take care of her since they love her so much too
happy.gif

YT
bb stools sounds normal to me...watery is generally good, better than hard stools which could mean not enough fluid

i don't quite remember experiencing chills during BF but watch out for mastitis cos some symptoms are chills and fever...it means your breast ducts are a bit clogged up so need to massage more, esp under hot shower or put a hot wash cloth on your breast

Regarding Breast Pump
i still have my medela PIS...v. expensive but totally worth the investment considering how much time per day is spent pumping yah? i think my record is like 7oz from one breast! (usually 1st pump of the day) but then i just sit there and pump while watching TV or using the computer for more than an hour....will try to avoid it this time actually and try to latch on as much as possible....more senang in the long run (for me at least)

im confused!! any mummies can help me?? is avent breastpump electric one good? coz my mum is in aussie, i saw alot of good conditions one on ebay.com.au. Anyone can advice me on which model is good?
I borrowed medela mini from my galfriend and has purchased the spare parts but heard so many negative feedback on it...

lingyee
avent electric u can find out fr kareen. she using tat.

YT
no never experience tat before. btw I think ziploc bag for freezer is different fr normal ones.

Adeline
glad things work out for u.

Hi Ladies

I am tearing as I type this. I really wanted to total breast feed and wanted to give it my all. My colostrum came in and by the 3rd day, I still didn't have breast milk,only colostrum even though I latched my baby in hospital whenever I had the chance. Didn't even bother that I was tired, I just wanted the best for him. At home, he was screaming and crying and I was trying so badly. He sucks and sucks and after that he is so fretful. My mum in law was panicky and kept on asking me to give formula. I succumbed after a long time and baby slurped up the formula and slept so soundly. After he woke up, I tried again. It was already night, he was just screaming and screaming and slept only after we gave him another round of formula. This is what I've been going through for the past 2 days.

I can feel my milk kicking in now. The good side is I forced him to suck, so I only feel heavy and don't feel engorged as my baby has been helping me clear. But even now, after he drinks from me, he is very fretful and cries as if I'm torturing him. I try not to latch continously as I know its not good for me. So I have my hubby and mum walking him around and talking to him. He starts once we put him down again. I can only put him down if I give him formula milk. Don't know what's wrong, maybe my BM not thick enuff? I also dunno.

Last night, I gave up. I broke down.Thank god I sent my mum home. My whole body was in pain. My heart, eyes, back, hip, everything. This morning was more promising. I latched him on and I could put him down for 1 hr. After that,latched on again and could put him down for 2 hrs. Hopefully, the situation improves and I can rely less on formula as the days go by. Now he gets about 2 or 3 formula feeds a day. The rest in latching on.

Trying to keep my mind steady. My body can't sleep. I keep on hearing him scream and cry. I drift off and my body jerks itself awake. Then my heart beats wildly and I have t calm myself down. I keep on wondering if he is suffocating, fretful and so on. Trying to relax so as not to enter into depression.

I don't know what I'll do without my hubby. He is practically my soul now. My father in law passed away 2 weeks ago and all of us are emotionally wrecked. He is still trying to stay strong and handle my cries and the baby's together with his.

Anyway, the days are getting better. Hopefully, today would be better than tomorrow and it improves everyday.

Yasmin, have you tried to make sure you get more milk supply?

All all the breastfeeding books and tips that I had received, basically have these simple rules :-

1. Take nutritious food, and drink 3 litres of fluid per day - some say Milo, Horlicks, Red Date tea, ,the books say water.
2. Relax, if you are tense your milk flow will be affected. So go through your relaxation routines.

So many share their birth stories today!

Linda, nice to see Ada's photo.
happy.gif
Sweet!
I'd spoken to Dr Wong that day when I'd my regular checkup, and when I told her my frens Linda n Aly had given birth, guess what she remembers exactly ur birth stories, despite that she had delivered so many babies! What a personal Doctor. I think she's a Patient-first Gynae. I felt very comforting to know that I'm in a good gynae's hand. Btw, how's her stitching, ok?

jennifur, i heard medela pump in style is one of the leading pump. why give up on it? why not you try melissa's suggestion to do a good massage to encourage let-down first? Adeline Loo say it's good so maybe can get advice from her? Oh ya, if you want, can just buy the handsfree and super-shield from mum'sfairy and use with your medela PIS.

abc, i got the ultimate kit which comes with the handsfree and super-shield. Personally, i think these 2 accessories are necessary for more comfy (does not strain my back) which is my whole point of getting a dual pump.

Melissa is right, it depends on techniques used, and not which breastpump is better than the other at expressing milk. It also depends on personal preferences, budget and how heavy duty you'll be using. Several friends who are successful in breastfeeding (all fed their babies ranging from 8 mths - 2 yrs old), used a wide variety / brands of methods/pumps.

Taka BB fair - they have all Medela, Pigeon and Avent breast pumps out on display, so you can have a feel of them. They also have various brands of diapers sample out on display! Bbpink yes! The romper is so worth it - 9.90 and material is so soft! I didn't get any cos I have alot already, if not I would have bought quite a few.

Fei, how's ur ameda pump?

Back