(2008/03) March 2008

foods not suitable for infants and toddlers

The following is a guide to foods that should be avoided and for how long:

Honey should not be given to children under 12 months due to high amount of simple sugars and spores of potential bacteria (Clostridium botulinum). While this bacteria is harmless to adults, in children under one it can cause constipation, changes in appetite, lethargy, and even changes in sucking, resulting in dehydration and pneumonia. It appears that Australian honey is relatively safe with only a few cases being reported, but it is always best to err on the side of caution.

Tea contains tannin which has a strong drying effect on the body’s liquid stores and therefore reduces iron-absorption.
Nuts should not be given to infants due to the risk of inhaling and possible allergy. Nut pastes are a better form of introducing nuts. These can be given safely; however, avoid introducing peanuts in the first year, and first three if there is a family history of allergy.

Small, hard foods should be avoided as they pose a risk of choking, eg. nuts, seeds, popcorn, whole grapes and whole beans.

Spinach, which contains oxalic acid, may also be a problem until later in the first year.

Wholegrain products are not suitable for babies due to the seeds, although light wholemeal bread is fine.

Soy, cows’ milk, goats’ milk, almond milk or oat milk are not suitable formula substitutes, although fine for cooking or small drinks from ten months. Alternative fluids as drinks are fine after the first year.

Low-fat or fat-reduced products are not suitable for children under two years as they do not provide enough of a child’s energy needs.

Caffeine-containing drinks such as tea, coffee, cola, caffeinated drinks or drinks with Guarana are not suitable for children.
Sugar and salt should not be added to food for children; this includes breakfast cereals, porridge, and baked goods. Read labels to check for these additives. • Fruit juices are not recommended (unless well-diluted) as they pose a risk of tooth decay and diarrhoea (especially apple juice).

Fizzy drinks or soft drinks contain a lot of sugar and some contain artificial sweeteners; none provides any nutritional benefit.

Avoid the use of margarine; butter is nutritionally a far better choice. Adult concerns regarding the composition of fat in butter are not relevant for young children. A great additional option is avocado or nut spreads.

Not sure for spinach leh! Given my son so much liao.

spinach
Spinach after boiling will not pose a problem. It is said that oxalic acid cause kidney stones or gall stones. The ang moh like to eat spinach raw added in salad. That will be original form of the oxalic acid. However when boiled, the acid wil then oxidise and no longer there. thus safe to consume.

YT:
I finely chop up the spinach until super super fine.... then throw inside the porriage to boil until the porriage turns green somemore...

clover,
the shop is called "Feng Cun Organic Health Food" at blk 408, #01-793 (tel: 65530989)
only sell dry food. the shop is away from the market facing the cc, along the 4d shop.

YT

Thanks for sharing the "discipline article". Will try to c if I can control Felicia abit.. Sometimes she really can be a 小霸王..

BTW i really like the daddy n bb crawling photo. haha. so cute!

Twinklestars
both my girls have not recover from cough and flu. i will miss this gathering. their nose like tap water.

So sianz.. kim already sick for 3 weeks and kath 1 week. pass here and there.. hb also sick and coughing.. i also flu and cough..

Liyun & isabella are rite
happy.gif
no limit on kids lah...

btw, i think the best and most democratic way is thru the voting system
happy.gif

Attendees pls vote
happy.gif

<font color="0000ff">Number 1 cake</font>
babypink

<font color="0000ff">Cupcakes</font>

<font color="0000ff">Mickey Agar</font>

<font color="0000ff">Minnie Agar</font>

<font color="0000ff">Both Mickey AND Minnie Agar</font>
Babypink
Lefthander

Adeline
hope the adults &amp; kids both have a speedy recovery

PS: yday i brought kyzac for his pneumococal jab, geez it must b painnful cos he cried really hard , when i remove the plaster in the afternoon, got a 5 cents spot of blood..very strange..he has never bleed so much for his previous injections

I paid $168 for it, is tat the standard rate nowsadays ?

Shaz17

hehe, so far botanic garden on 9 Nov only got these people
1) isabella &amp; family
2) bbpink &amp; family
3) Yutong &amp; family

i hope to reach at 10am
happy.gif
hope the kids dun do last min shitting :p

Venue: twinklestars' place in Sengkang
Date and Time: 1st Nov(Sat),1230-430pm

Interested:
1. twinklestars,hb and megan (drinks, cutlery)
2. mikael n bb
3. Yu Tong n bb ( hopefully our hubbies can mit then )
4. abcdisney n 2 kiddo (will bring finger food)
5. AdelineL n bb
6. Summerdaze n bb
7. Adeline
8. Isabellali + maid + 2 kiddos &amp; baby
9. Bubble n HB (mayb) n bb n maid
10.Kate n bb (dessert)
11. Ivy n Aidan
12. Jenifur + Janelle + Josiah + maid (provided kiddo not tired after morning outing)
13. clover + alexander (bring chips n salsa)
14. Kais + 3 girls + 2 maids ( bringing carrot cupcake)
15. bbpink &amp; family (fried bee hoon)
16.boon n felicia

<font color="0000ff">Confirmed Attendees For The 4/4/09 Bash
happy.gif

those who have tt and will tt today</font>
http://spreadsheets.google.com/[email protected]&amp;t=7582943205356030842

1)Clover &amp; family
2)Bbpink &amp; family
3)abc &amp; family
4)babyheng &amp; family
5)jerejoy &amp; family
6)twinkelstars &amp; family
7)Zhiqiang &amp; family
8)Yasmine &amp; family
9)FL &amp; family
10)lefthander &amp; family
11)summerdaze &amp; family
12)happygal29 &amp; family
13)mikael &amp; family
14)shirley &amp; family
15)isabella &amp; family
16)liyun &amp; family
17)ivy &amp; family
18)adelineL &amp; family

<font color="0000ff">Ivy, can book ur condo function room?</font>

see ya all later mummies.

btw my friend passed me some swim diapers for sale. $7.50 per pc. colour: green solid n prints. size m and l. alex is wearing m size. will bring to the gathering n see if anyone wanna buy. cash on delivery~

Twinklestar
Sorry wont be able to go for the gathering later... My sore throat havent ok yet... so sorry...

Interested:
2. mikael n bb
5. AdelineL n bb
6. Summerdaze n bb
7. Adeline
<strike>8. Isabellali + maid + 2 kiddos &amp; baby</strike>
10.Kate n bb (dessert)
11. Ivy n Aidan
12. Jenifur + Janelle + Josiah + maid (provided kiddo not tired after morning outing)
15. bbpink &amp; family (fried bee hoon)
16.boon n felicia

Interested:
2. mikael n bb
4. AdelineL n bb
5. Summerdaze n bb
6. Isabellali + maid + 2 kiddos &amp; baby
7. Bubble n HB (mayb) n bb n maid
8.Kate n bb (dessert)
9. Ivy n Aidan
10. Jenifur + Janelle + Josiah + maid (provided kiddo not tired after morning outing)
11. clover + alexander (bring chips n salsa)
12. Kais + 3 girls + 2 maids ( bringing carrot cupcake)
13. bbpink &amp; family (fried bee hoon)
14.boon n felicia

bbpink
wow botanical gardens so early v. stress to make it haha...our family is sloooooowww to get out of house one :p...maybe if we get there later can call one of u guys
happy.gif

Spinach - oxalic acid

Spinach and Urinary Calculus (Kidney Stone)
Is it true that spinach can cause urinary calculus (kidney stone)? Some doctors and scientists of the old time mentioned that spinach can cause urinary calculus. Yes, it is true. However, studies done by other hundreds of scientists show that it will only occur if you eat spinach weighing about 200 grams or more everyday. And it's unrealistic to continue eating 200 grams of spinach each day. Furthermore, it is found that eating spinach together with calcium-rich foods and drinks will cut down the risk of acquiring urinary calculus.

http://www.pyroenergen.com/articles/popeye-spinach.htm

will be slightly late, just finish cooking the tom yam bee hoon &amp; dry mee siam , now waiting for hb to eat his lunch ! "P

Interested:
2. mikael n bb
5. AdelineL n bb
6. Summerdaze n bb
7. Adeline
8. Isabellali + maid + 2 kiddos &amp; baby
10.Kate n bb (dessert)
11. Ivy n Aidan
15. bbpink &amp; family (tom yam bee hoon and dry mee siam
happy.gif
)
16.boon n felicia

<font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="0000ff">Twinklestar,

Sorry couldn't make it for e gathering today. I only reach home bout 2 plus by then my DD was totally exhausted.</font></font>

adeline
no prob..most impt is to turn up at the bash
happy.gif

twinklestars
thanks for hosting us 2day
happy.gif
really wonderland with 2 playmats. lots of toys
happy.gif

PS: really happy to see a lot of mummies whom i hav not met for a long long time.

PSS: still uploading..a farni pic to share abt brotherhood..i guess they love to study..or to eat ? :p

1842990.jpg

The gathering looks so fun...so pity that mikael got a bit cough today. Thus we were not be able to turn up.

All babies looks enjoying their play time together.

Re: 1st bday blash (04 Apr’09)
I feel “Number One cake” is a must; follow by both Mickey &amp; Minnie Agar. Personally I am not a fan of cupcakes, they’re nice deco but I find cupcakes too sweet &amp; dry to eat. If there’s budget constraint, then remove cupcakes. Designed cupcakes are not cheap and the “Number One Cake + Mickey &amp; Minnie Agar are good enough deco.

FL, my sentiments also
happy.gif

Attendees pls continue to vote
happy.gif

<font color="0000ff">Number 1 cake</font>
babypink
FL

<font color="0000ff">Cupcakes</font>

<font color="0000ff">Mickey Agar</font>

<font color="0000ff">Minnie Agar</font>

<font color="0000ff">Both Mickey AND Minnie Agar</font>
Babypink
Lefthander
FL

<font color="0000ff">Buffet</font> wise, pls vote as well
happy.gif
these names were brought up during the gathering, pls <font color="0000ff">add on</font> the good halal caterers tat u strongly recommend
happy.gif
i m fine with any caterer myself,

<font color="0000ff">1) ELSIE'S KITCHEN</font>
GST Reg. No.: 36598000E

7 Lichfield Road
Singapore 556827

Tel : 6288 4457 (5 Lines)
Fax : 6288 8794

License No.: EL-E-93-196E-000
Halal Cert No: MUI / F025 / 00

Email: [email protected]

2)<font color="0000ff">Ohs Farm Catering Pte ltd</font>
Blk 3017 Bedok North St 5
Singapore S 486121

Cuisine : International ( Halal ).
Phone : 6842 3271 Fax: 6842 3274

<font color="0000ff">3) ChilliPadi {clover, i realise chilli api is its halal sister company ;)</font>
Chilli Api Catering Pte Ltd ( Halal) (Registration No.: 200208964G)

<font color="0000ff">Toys</font> wise
Clover brought up a really good suggestion tat during the bash, we each bring a toy to share among all our babies. I second tat, save $ and a lot of fun
happy.gif

<font color="0000ff">Confirmed Attendees For The 4/4/09 Bash
those who have tt and will tt today
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pQpfohIsbUcVfXoIX_E_YEQ&amp;inv=diarydatarecord%40gmail.com&amp;t=7582943205356030842</font>

1)Clover &amp; family
2)Bbpink &amp; family
3)abc &amp; family
4)babyheng &amp; family
5)jerejoy &amp; family
7)Zhiqiang &amp; family
8)Yasmine &amp; family
9)FL &amp; family
13)mikael &amp; family
14)shirley &amp; family
15)isabella &amp; family
16)liyun &amp; family
17)ivy &amp; family
18)adelineL &amp; family
19)kate &amp; family
20) AdelineK &amp; family

FL,
i think can't eat marmite cos of the salt in it.

From: https://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=824
As a rough guide, the maximum amount of salt for babies and children is:

less than 1g (0.4g sodium) a day from 0-12 months,
2g (0.8g sodium) a day from 1-3 years,
3g (1.2g sodium) a day from 4-6 years,
5g (2g sodium) a day from 7-10 years, and
6g (2.4g sodium) a day from 11 years.
Babies who are breastfed get the right amount of salt through breast milk. Infant formula contains a similar amount of salt to breast milk.

When you start introducing solid foods, remember not to add salt to the foods that you give to your baby because their kidneys cannot cope with it. You should also avoid giving your baby ready-made foods that are not made specifically for babies, such as breakfast cereals, because they can also be high in salt.

Lots of foods that are produced for children can be quite high in salt, so it is very important to check the nutritional information before you buy. The salt content is usually given as figures for sodium. Food that contains 0.6g of sodium, or more, in a 100g is a lot, and foods with 0.1g, or less, in a 100g, is a little.

Per 100 g of UK Marmite, there is 4.3 g of sodium.

<font color="ff0000">Toys wise </font>
Clover brought up a really good suggestion tat during the bash, we each bring a toy to share among all our babies. I second tat, save $ and a lot of fun

Confirmed Attendees For The 4/4/09 Bash
those who have tt and will tt today
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pQpfohIsbUcVfXoIX_E_YEQ&amp;inv=diarydatarecord%40gmail.com&amp;t=7582943205356030842

1)Clover &amp; family
2)Bbpink &amp; family
3)abc &amp; family
4)babyheng &amp; family
5)jerejoy &amp; family
7)Zhiqiang &amp; family
8)Yasmine &amp; family
9)FL &amp; family
13)mikael &amp; family
14)shirley &amp; family
15)isabella &amp; family
16)liyun &amp; family <font color="ff0000">Leapfrog ball &amp; rubber ball</font>
17)ivy &amp; family
18)adelineL &amp; family
19)kate &amp; family
20) AdelineK &amp; family

<font color="0000ff">Attendees pls continue to vote</font>

Number 1 cake
babypink
FL
Liyun

Cupcakes

Mickey Agar

Minnie Agar

Both Mickey AND Minnie Agar
Babypink
Lefthander
FL
Liyun

Number 1 cake
babypink
FL
Liyun
Adeline

Cupcakes

Mickey Agar

Minnie Agar

Babypink
Lefthander
FL
Liyun

Number 1 cake
babypink
FL
Liyun
Adeline
Kate(get a micky+minnie cake so no need agar agar)

Cupcakes

Mickey Agar

Minnie Agar

Babypink
Lefthander
FL
Liyun

Number 1 cake
babypink
FL
Liyun
Adeline
abcdisney

Cupcakes

Mickey Agar

Minnie Agar

Babypink
Lefthander
FL
Liyun
abcdisney

Number 1 cake
babypink
FL
Liyun
Adeline
abcdisney
adelineL

Cupcakes

Mickey Agar

Minnie Agar

Babypink
Lefthander
FL
Liyun
abcdisney

twinklestars
thanks again for hosting the playdate
happy.gif
megan and all the other babies have grown so much and are so much fun
happy.gif
looking forward to the next playdate

bbpink
as always, thanks for the many great pics and thanks to your nice hubby too for always attending our gatherings and taking pictures for us
happy.gif

AdelineL

hehe, u r welcome ..tat keeps him occupied..or so i hope :p

PS: used to be the maid taking pics, but my new maid has really bad motion sickness..last trip fr bt batok to toa payoh she already boi tahan , got a throbing headache, nausea &amp; cannot even eat her set lunch tat was so yummy to the rest of us

i love tommy in this pic, did u see in the site ?
1844569.jpg

<font color="0000ff">Current Votes</font>

<table border=1><tr><td>Number 1 cake</TD><TD>Mickey Minnie Cake</TD><TD>CupCakes</TD><TD>Mickey Agar</TD><TD>Minnie Agar</TD><TD>Mickey &amp; Minnie Agar </TD></TR><TR><TD>bbpink</TD><TD>Kate</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>bbpink </TD></TR><TR><TD>FL</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>lefthander </TD></TR><TR><TD>Liyun</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>FL </TD></TR><TR><TD>Adeline</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>liyun </TD></TR><TR><TD>abcdisney</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>abcdisney </TD></TR><TR><TD>AdelineL</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD></td></tr></table>

welcome
happy.gif
the playdate was a fun time for megan and us too! was great having the babies around
happy.gif

for the mickey and minnie agar agar, any pictures to see first?? keke

buffet wise, i catered from elsie's kitchen for my wedding lunch and housewarming...they didnt disapoint but that was like 4 yrs...think i'll still vote for them again..keeping my faith in them...

bbpink
too bad about your maid and yes i saw that picture...yah bb tommy seems v. happy to have you hold him hehe but why u crop yourself out of the pic here??? haha

celia
i have been using him for a number of years. In fact i would say they hv nicely done up Andrae's bb shower cake as i inisist i wan the words "Andrae's baby shower" on the cake. They even gv me suggestion on how they will do it and how it can be done. Thus i guess we cannot jus rely on one side of the story...

Err it was send to me by pdf file. If u would liek the cataloue pls email me directly. Thanks.. hmm maybe i can try upload to google doc and thn let u all know.

Back