(2008/03) March 2008

dreamlife & babypink
Buttermilk is NOT butter in milk!!! "In the past buttermilk was actually made from the liquid left over after churning butter, but now it is commercially made by adding a bacteria to whole, skim, or low fat milk. But you really do not need to make a special trip to the grocery store every time you need buttermilk to make these pancakes. One option is to buy buttermilk powder so you always have it on hand or you can just as easily make your own buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon of white distilled vinegar, cider vinegar, or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk. Just stir the vinegar or lemon juice into the milk and then let it stand 5 to 10 minutes before using."

Oil & butter are the fat components of baking a cake. Buttermilk are not substitute of fats in cakes.

http://joyofbaking.com/IngredientSubstitution.html

Ingredient Substitution Table

Sometimes you may find it necessary to substitute one ingredient for another in a recipe. But using a different ingredient may change both the taste and texture of your baking, so it is a good idea before substituting to understand the role that ingredient plays in the recipe.

crystal
my boy 2 mths old now.
Have to rush through all the jabs coz we'll be doing quite a bit of travelling once he hits 5mths old.

abc
tks.. his temp down now. Gave him some ginseng water before the jab and feeding him extra plain water and barley water after the jab... But he still a bit tired, dun want to push him into crankiness zone.

pancake
i see i see
i also give barley water on and off. my mom says nd to give barley water before jabs. so when i bringing my girl for jabs at 3mths, i will give her too. your boy very brave ! hope he gets well soon.

kais
my bb also had little red dots a few weeks back and at first thot they are heat rash but bcos they appear all over the body, esp the feet and arms (and not really around the neck), the doctor said they are most likely due to food allergies...i suspected due to the alcohol my mum added to my confinement food...so u need to observe which food might be the culprit...hope thst helps
happy.gif

pancake
my bb gal like your boy too..take all the same vaccines too...haha.. not becos of travelling though but becos mummy sending her to infant care soon..

sigh..with all the hfmd cases, i'm keeping my fingers crossed..if really no choice then got to find a reliable nanny...

adelineL,
my bb has lots of rashes all over her body too n her face.. PD said since i'm bfing, may be due to my diet too, could be the prawns that i took. It's hard to eliminate what's the cause, after more than 7 days she's still getting rashes on and off.

pancake, i din know we can give baby so many different kind of drinks. we gave my gal a few drops of honey water a few days back - cos she sounded like she 'lost her voice'.. haha.. mabbe due to too much 'opera singing'.

bad health
my cough n blocked ducts look like are here to stay. i'm super sian... i think the antibotics that i was taking for my blocked ducts made my ger's poo green!!!

twinklestar, u starting infant care 2nd or 3rd mth?

sheryl

eh my auntie says not to give bb honey....she says bb will get phlegm..not sure how true it is.. so my bb only drinking milk, plain water and dentinox now...hehe

i'm sending her to infant care on 1st june when she's 3 mths old..i was actually contemplating sending her mid of this mth but with all the hfmd scare, decide to put off till 1st june.. you leh? you decided in infant care already?

you sound like you're in bad shape..take care hor...

Take care Sheryl, hope u feel better soon

Also avoid giving bb honey, see this article:

"For a child under twelve months of age, there is a risk of botulism from eating honey and it should be avoided. The spores of the Clostridium botulinum bacteria can be found in honey, and when ingested by an infant, the spores can release a toxin that causes botulism.

Infant Botulism
According to the CDC, infants with botulism 'appear lethargic, feed poorly, are constipated, and have a weak cry and poor muscle tone,' which may 'progress to cause paralysis of the arms, legs, trunk and respiratory muscles.'
Although parents often know not to give their infants under twelve months of age plain honey, they often overlook other foods that contain honey in them, such as Honey Graham Crackers, Honey Nut Cheerios, Honey Wheat Bread, etc. Although the honey in these foods may be processed, it may not be pasteurized, and so may still contain botulism spores in them and should be avoided. If you feel strongly about giving these foods to your infant, call the manufacturer to make sure that they are safe.

ABC...picnic sounds great....can organise on weekends,hee...then can bring baby Kaleb and hubby along.
U bring arielene along? She's cute...

Pancake, can drink orange juice meh?

Jabs:
My baby goin jab this week and my mum was telling me to feed him with Pao4 Shen1 before he goes for jab...reduce the chance of fever..hope it helps..

Date: 6 May 2008 (Tues)
Venue: JL member sales cum paragon jap dessert high tea (B1) $5 per pax
Time: 2pm (JL orchard) 3.30pm (jap restuarant B1)

1. abcdisney n abc (meet 2pm)
2. adeline n bb (meet 2pm)
3. dreamlife n bb (meet 2pm)
4. Kate,bb n hub
5. Babe Dude (meet 3.30pm no bb.. coz she sensitive these few days ... wanna keep her indoor)
6. clover n bb (meet 2pm)
7. aly n bb (meet 2pm)
8. adeline loo n bb (meet 2pm)
9. belle n bb (meet 2 pm)
10. Vonn (meet 3.30pm)
Do we need to make reservations for Shimbashi Soba? If yes, i can go early and book seats...Let me know ya?

my bb (4weeks old) has not poop ppop for 2days, today is the 3rd days, still have not poop.. i have tried feeding her gripe water, but she rejected it.. she drink similac..

<font color="0000ff">hubby precious:
ya... my baby's bone always make alot of noise when he stretch when I'm carrying him. I didnt really do anything or check it out since he didnt look like he's in pain. Usually I am in pain after tio punch by him in the face and kick in my tummy or my boobs.....</font>

picnic:
the HFMD is abit on these days... isit safe to have picnic in the great outdoors on the fresh greens bo...? abit scare...

twinklestars, we r not putting her in infantcare yet unless my mum quit being the caregiver...

OMG, AdelineL n twinklestars thanks for the info on honey. infant botulism sounds scary!!!! Sigh, i din want to give my ger anyting else except milk n PD's prescription... but sometimes u know lah, got to give in to your old folks who keep nagging u.. and oso think that they are right. so far so good for my ger.

honey
nvr gv honey to kid below 1 yr

frozen ebm vs chilled ebm
after tried n tested, it is cfm my dear boy dun like frozen ebm tat has been thawed. sigh... somehow he still manage to finish 3oz with all d crying n rejecting . but with chilled ebm, he guai guai finish 4oz.

hfmd vs picnic
mayb we put on hold first bah

gathering tmr
for those going JL, try to b early. meet direct @ bb dept unless gt ppl wan meet @ somerset mrt. pls call one another when reached in case cannot find each other.

crystal,
thanks for advice
happy.gif

tmr's gathering
what a pity i cant make it! an overseas fren just came and i m bringing her out for lunch tmr, so enjoy!

HFMD
the virus can be passed from adults to children. a church fren's 18-mth baby got infected not from the sisters but her parents or helper. we need to emphasis handwashing to all pple handling the babies.

abc,
someone just told me to mix frozen and chilled EBM before serving: maybe 70ml chilled and 30ml frozen, and slowly increase the volume for frozen. maybe you can try this?

cherish,

tht time my gal also 3 days no poo poo (on simialc too), i brought her to PD and she says its okie, they can dun poo poo for 5days. In then end, she gives tablets for inserting the anus, ask me to insert if 5 days no poo. Not to worry, give ur baby more water, perhaps it helps

Pancake Chia.. can rush jabs for bb one meh?? wah..then i also wan to rush liao.. coz i also wan to bring bb to travel soon!!! WHich PD u go to??? Better check with my PD ..

Yippee.. tom will rush out to meet u all once i finish feeding my bb.. if can earlier... i will go JL meet u all.. see how it goes.. Wah paragone dessert.. haizz.. making me fat liao loh.. :-( hahahhaa

the weather is so humid n it makes alex grouchy! he wanted to be carried to sleep n I hv to walk up n down the house doing so. now I use the pacifier on him n he's sleeping but v lightly. can't even bath or go toilet! so sian!

Date: 6 May 2008 (Tues)
Venue: JL member sales cum paragon jap dessert high tea (B1) $5 per pax
Time: 2pm (JL orchard) 3.30pm (jap restuarant B1)

1. abcdisney n abc (meet 2pm)
2. adeline n bb (meet 2pm)
3. dreamlife n bb (meet 2pm)
4. Kate,bb n hub
5. Babe Dude (meet 3.30pm no bb.. coz she sensitive these few days ... wanna keep her indoor)
6. clover n bb (meet 2pm)
7. aly n bb (meet 2pm)
8. adeline loo n bb (meet 2pm)
9. belle n bb (meet 2 pm)
10. Vonn (meet 3.30pm)
11. Liyun n bb n granny (will call when reach)

babedude
instead of doing the jabs at 2,4,6months, we're doing at 2,3,5mths old. The immunisations we're giving him are the 6in1, pneumococcal, and rotavirus. We're travelling from the time he's 5-half months old!

my boy very sensitive to ebm. mixed already but he still knw. I called sis kang. she say can jus gv chilled ebm. btw she said if wan to freeze ebm, cannot chilled in fRidge. hv to freeze d ebm asap. though sm (nt all n in fact only a small %) antibodies in frozen ebm may b lost, it is still much better than formula. btw it is normal tat frozen ebm taste fishy or soapy n definitely nt as sweet as chilled fresh ebm.

dreymin
will try yr method too.

anyone else oso hv bb rejecting frozen ebm but ok w fresh ebm?

oh dear

i always put on the fridge and freeze up the next day .. not advisable ?

abc - think i will meet at 3.30 instead of 2 as not be able to join the mummies for JL' sale

by the way , which rest ? i will call when i reach the paragon ... any booking ?

belle
jap resturant B1. Jus next to the atm machine. opp spag

Clover
aiyah... change yr massage? hahaha

Belle
according to LC nt advisable

belle: i always immed freeze upon expressing

abc: my boy also reject frozen ebm. different taste maybe? wrong temp? i stop feeding ebm liao... cause he keep crying n spitting out the EBM.

abc: ya, i tot so too.. different taste... i force feed him, he spit all out, cry n cry.. everywhere so messy wif his puke... so i buay tahan, i latch. give up.. will try again soon. haiz.. i also hope he can accept it. otherwise i need to pump lots tat can be chilled only.. finish daily, pump daily.. no choice lor.

thanks liyun..
after hearing that u experience that with your baby as well, i'm less worried.... =P

thanks dreamlife.. yup, my boy is eating, sleeping and gaining weight..
happy.gif
so i suppose all thing's fine, probably i worry too much..
happy.gif

Back