(2008/02) Feb 2008 MTBs

Good Monday Morning Mummies!!

Topic of the week - household expenses (I'll start by putting my answers down)

1) % of take-home household income that you save (less CPF)
30%

2) monthly expenses on kid
Milk powder - $100
Diapers - $50
Food - $300
Others (clothes, toys, books etc) - $200
Classes - $120 for play gym once a week
Childcare if any - $0 so far
Grand total - $770

Usborne phonics books,
sorry for the late reply. arielle's favourites are sam sheep cant sleep, big pig on a dig, mouse moves house, toad makes a road.

Blog,
i v low tech and v lazy....no blog hehe

Gar, wa, you very good leh. I don't even keep track of my expenses anymore. But when I was still working, we had a monthly guide on how much we spend for ins, car, groceries, household, eating out, etc. :p We giroed a fixed amount to another saving acounts for savings/investment. But since I'm not working, I stopped contributing my share a few months ago.

Thanks for sharing Arielle's favourite titles. I hope they are included in the Usborne Phonics books that I ordered. The BP organiser very slow in responding. :p

pauline,
actually only i keep track - hb doesn't. if i don't keep track will go haywire with spending. i used to giro fixed amount regularly too...stopped doing that for a while - maybe i should resume!

i saw a few BPs selling the usborne books - maybe can see if there are other ready stock suppliers

on and btw i PM the littleredsg BP for sticker books she is still taking orders i told her my forum friends want to buy

Oh, thanks Gar. I'll go and order from littleredsg then, but some of the designs I like are OOS. Not sure if it'll be same price if I want to wait for those OOS items. :p

By the way, there's a very good BP by Qoorie. Stuff are cheaper than what I paid for, limited sizes but ready stock. <font color="ff0000">Go grab now!</font> http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/581296/3094908.html
happy.gif

kitsune
wow, well done! your photo looks so yummy
happy.gif

topic of the week - lol, i like that idea!!

1) % of take-home household income that you save (less CPF)
about 45% in a joint a/c

2) monthly expenses on kid
hmm i haven't really kept track of this specifically because i lump groceries altogether (which includes milk, diapers, etc.), but it would be interesting to see how much it comes up to! i think i spend approx $700-1.2k a month with a little bit of shopping for myself and daily food, but doesn't include what hubby pays for.

bx,
not really invest a lot.
I keep some of my savings in the fundsupermart cashfund. The interest rate is about 0.5% p.a. and no lock in.
happy.gif

pauline,
the chicken stew looks yummy..

re: YBCR
C learned the eensy weensy spider, arms up from there.
she likes the twinkle twinkle little star song especially cos of the 'tink!'
nowadays seldom show it to her liao as there are so many other programs available on MioTV :p

bluegin,
so C still watching it?
i think i should continue let her watch liao.

re: expenses
1) % of take-home household income that you save
40%

2) monthly expenses on kid - all estimation as i don't separate spending on kid &amp; home
Milk powder - Nil
Diapers - $20
Food - $80
Others - $50
Classes - Nil
Childcare - $300 (for mil)
----------------
Total - $450
----------------

re: playgroup
any of you send your kid to Talent Plus playgroup?
http://www.talentplusgroup.net/
i am considering sending C to go there after 2 yo cos:
(1) i can free up 2 hours for my mil daily.
(2) it's just a few blocks away from mil place.

how's the review?

garfield
i don't keep track of my expenses/savings. Roughly know i spend abt $90 a month for milk powder or two 1.8kg tins a month. i don't even have a list of insurance that I have. cham, better start doing one else don't even know what i have.

stephie,
oopps.. my saving din deduct the insurance as i pay it on yearly basis.

i find it important to keep track of expenses on regular basis. i did that since my Uni days until C is born. after that too busy + my PALM die, stop doing that.
just start recording it down last month and realise that i spent much much more than last time!!

pauline,
i think should be same price cos i was waiting for some OOS item that eventually replenished at same price. she's quite nice - if you let her know which item you keen she will email to let you know when it's in stock again.

Re keeping track of expenses,
you know - the "where has all my money gone to feeling?" well...it hits me pretty often
biggrin.gif
so i try to make it a point to note down my expenses. after a while - it becomes 2nd nature lor. usually key it into my handphone as and when i make major purchases.

XY, thanks. My hubby also pays his insurance yearly but I'll calculate the monthly average for him. But after we bought some limited pay endowment policy for RaeAnne and he upped his insurance coverage (I'm not working so he became sole breadwinner), I lost track and didn't update liao. Hee.

Gar, I had that problem too. Everytime, the credit card bill came, I'll think there's some calculation error cos don't remember spending so much. Then when I go through the itemised bill, I have no choice but to face reality that a lot of small bills accumulate and become 1 BIG bill. :p

Hi, Iso/bkkgal
The lady is Taiwanese; she had 4 books about education(all in Chinese0, and opened a Restaurant mainly operated by primary 1&amp;2 children. She also gave speeches and wrote for newspaper/magzine column.

Hi, blueginger
Junior Diver? Wah......
So adventurous! Hehe......hope that I can be more adventurous...
But I hope that I can camp with family at Sembawang park, when E reach Primary school. Hehe....

---Investing
My hubby invests thru stocks; I didn't do investing yet though so much I wanted to learn.

--- expenses
1) % of take-home household income that you save
40%

2) monthly expenses on kid - other than allowance giving MIL and salary for maid

Milk powder - $100
Diapers - $30
Food - $100
Others(clothes,toys,etc) - $70
Classes - Nil
----------------
Total - $300

eh....how come i seem to be spending so much more than others on kid...tsk tsk tsk

the culprits are food and others

ok - the others part i'm guilty since i'm the main person buying stuff for her. but food, i give my mum lump sum of $300. looks like i'm over-provisioning hahaha

tubao
the restaurant is operated by pri 1 and 2 children??

XY
i started to use a google spreadsheet so i can update how much i spend for lunch when i'm at work, LOL!! otherwise wait until i get home and have time at night, i'll forget what i spent on already.

TalentPlus - got one also near my mum's place!! in clementi, i just recently saw the banner for it. i'm still considering whether to put him in playgroup at all, because early next year we will move house, so will have to relook playgroups/CC again.

what's YBCR?

xiaoyun
i used to keep track of expenses (even to the individual items) when i was younger. stopped for a long time liao cos find it not much of a use. :p

my insurance plans are in a mix of annual/monthly payment. make me so confused.

Garfield,
You are really good at keeping track of your expenses. I tried to be organised. But still turn out messy after a few months. Items like milk powder, diapers, etc. I would buy under fair and bulk purchase so that I can save more. So difficult to keep track leh.

tubao,
yalor. Want Channet to be a junior diver, provided she likes water. Now slowly introduce her to it so that she will be scared when we introduce her to diving.

bx and kitsune can combine your littlebook order to make it $100 for free delivery? Even I combine with Kitsune also not enough. I only ordered Thousand words that costs $12.

Garfield and kitsune,
Envy you can buy a lot of books. I do not have the space to accommodate all the books. Will wait til Channet has her own room to buy all the books.

XY,
Channet now seldom watched. But once we played YBCR DVD, she will jump with excitement. I actually lend the DVDs to my friend since her child is young. If you wanna continue, dun let her watch other programmes. That's what Dr Titzer said kids will keep up faster. Cannot confuse them bah.

Now Channet is watching Hi5 (mainly dancing and singing) and Brainy Baby (for ABC and 123).

isobellies,
YBCR - Your baby can read is an educational programme for young children.

garfield,
if you are feeding her organic food, $300 is actually not too much.

iso,
i am now using excel to update - keep the softcopy in office pc. can't use anything that requires upload information to the web - company network block it. i can't even send internet mail using company network.
if one day i leave company and forget to retrieve the file, that's it for my record liao. :p

have you heard any comment about TalentPlus? I find out about it through banner new our place too. It's a centre inside RC.

YBCR is Your Baby Can Read. The learning vcd/dvd/technique by Dr. Titzer.
in fact i feel that the method is good yet the cost of video production is low as children in the video are his daughters and some friends. :p

blueginger, haha, LOL, I did think of that. But books usually very heavy leh, send to whose house to be fair? So I didn't suggest lor. ;P

wah everyone buying books now.

want to ask anyone come across story book on going to sch or 1st day of school? wanted to get something like this to read to Amanda to "brainwashed" her before she goes CC

Pauline: that time i order $100 and above, only one plastic bag..........maybe mostly paperbacks i guess and only one usborne compilations.

blueginger, XY
ooh must go and check it out! I think i got one free Brainy Baby from similac or something, must go and dig it out. Also got Leapfrog Letter Factory DVD at home but last time E is not interested to watch it at all.

Iso,
yalor. Last time Channet also not interested and I also find the programme unrelated to the title. Now able to sit quietly watching it and I also find it is interested. strange, huh?

Kitsune,
If you dun mind mine only $12, I can go under yours. I can keep it at your place (We both stay Tampines mah). is the 100 words interesting? You and dorothy both ordered that book.

Bkkgal.. anthony robbins is a world renowed motivational speaker/life coach.His course is super expensive. His Mastery University which comprises of 3 different courses
1) Date with Destiny
2) Life Mastery
3) Wealth Mastery

costs $12,995 and in total 13 days spread over 3 sessions over 1 year duration.. eg. Dec, April and fall 2010. This is for the Singapore course slot. Normally he only comes perhaps every 5-6 yrs.Original px was $32,935!!

My friend is offering me a ticket at $2000 to go for the wealth mastery course.. so i am considering me.. cause its really a big amt!
Check out his website at www.anthonyrobbins.com.

Apple.. the course is super ex... u attended any? My co. had free tickets for his seminar recently.. i was so stupid din go...
sad.gif

Blueginger.. wow u and ur hubby are avid divers.. i haven dive for a long time.. think a bit rusty liao.. haha... it would be fun to bring kids for diving trips too but must wait till they can really understand hor.

Bluginger.. i think channet is very smart.. pick upquite a lot of things and u actually started her pretty young with reading and dvds.. thats very good!

bkkgal, i plan to bring gwen to aust probably during CNY next yr with my family.. and also planning another trip to UK/ EUROPE next July. Hopefully things will work out.. can't wait to go for holis!! Hehe.. actually shouldnt be thinking of holis all the time.. must work harder.. my in laws were saying to me that we have been travelling too much now and we should work harder and save more so that we can travel when we are old.:p

Genice,
No lah. I din teach her. Very lazy, so just buy her the DVDs and let her watch so that I can do my stuff and she won't bother me. Hahaha...
Now my main worry is later she kenna myopia (watch too much TV) how?

blueginer.. who is taking care of channet? Although YBCR says cant watch too much tv but i cant stop my pil from not watching their taiwanese shows.. end up.. gwen also watch..

Pauline.. wow.. u are fast.. i saw the gymboree sets.. so nice!! U got a lot of loot again.. haha

genice,
Either my parent or PIL. For my parents, they will watch the taiwanese series in the evening. Channet will run to it when they are singing the song. After that, she is not interested. She just like kids programmes I guess. As for my PIL, they watch DVD most of the times. Not affecting Channet.

blueginger, I don't mind combining with you but we still can't hit $100 even if wait for my OOS First experience book? I got the First 100 stickers book cos RaeAnne loves stickers now. Also, thought $8.10 (after 10% discount) is pretty ok for 100 stickers. You want to order too? Then we will be closer to hit $100, I already have $70 worth of books, cannot order anymore. :p
3099540.jpg

Genice, hehe, nice right? Luckily, happen to be checking BP today cos waiting for mama21 to reply re: the urborne books. 3 pcs set including hat for $10 (free postage), think it's quite a steal. Anyway, since I'm having 2 gals, got more excuse to buy since can pass down. hehe. ;)

Saw Dr Joycelyn Wong today, 31 weeks and 6 days. Baby Raelynn is 1.8kg and I've only put on 500+g this time. And bb gained 400g so hoping my weight gain has reach a plateau, so far already 12 kg gained.
happy.gif
Dr Wong projects that my bb will be 3.2kg at 40 weeks. Bb's head is 29cm (average) and she's head down since 28 weeks so gynae said she'll stay down. ;)

Genice: no lah I never went. I heard of them cos last time my hubby told me abt all these courses. So exp. I figure out no matter how motivated I am, my salary is fixed, unlike sales pple? The earnings of sales pple is unlimited.

Pauline: I have the same book without sticker one. Amanda likes very much

morning mummies!

since we are on the topics of phonic books, i am just curious, any1 knows the difference between letterland phonics and jolly phonics. Me suaku, never knew there was a different phonics teaching until my teacher fren highlighted to me.

Pauline
hihi, my hub and i are so not ready for no. 2
moreover i just started my new job.
btw congrats!!!!

anyway, may i ask what toothpaste are you all using for your kid? drugstore no longer sells first teeth (sp)

Hi everyone,
Just back to office after my medical checkup. Baby is now at 33weeks and weighs 2.2kg.

pauline and apple,
I'm more interested in getting the stickers book for 100words so that channet can play ard with them. Is the sticker removable from the page? I scar channet anyhow paste.

Pauline,
Ok. Let me check if I need other books from littlebook. I rem alot I'm interested OOS liao. Will see if she might have it now.

Andrea,
I'm using first teeth. You can buy from other spree.

qingling
wah! i didn't even know got difference one. is it a different teaching approach?

kitsune, blueginger
great to hear all is well! my sis is also at 35 weeks, we're all waiting for the little one to arrive any minute now
happy.gif

Iso - me neither! haha.. it is a different approach apparently, i haven't really figure it out. its just that my fren is sending her kid to Pat's schoolhse which is teaching letterland phonics while Eton is teaching Jolly phonics. But in schools, MOE are using letterland, so that's why she chose Pat's. And i think these 2 types of phonics are not all, there's zoo phonics blah blah as well..wow...haha

talent plus.
My girl has joined the class since Sept. So far she enjoys the class a lot... except that she super glue to my mom for the 1st month... Actually, I find the English teacher better...

Thanks, Andrea.
happy.gif

Blueginger, I don't think the stickers are removable but I intend to guide her in pasting or help her paste. Will only give her free rein if it's those cheap sticker/activity book that costs only $1. Hee, bad mummy. Okie, you let me know. Right now, I'm also kiving my order since not keen to self collect from mama21's house. :p

I tried giving RaeAnne the pigeon strawberry toothpaste but she complain 'la4 la4' and don't like to use. :p

Thanks, Iso. Is your sis expecting boy boy or gal gal? First one?

qingling
i went for trial at growing up gifted, and they teach zoophonics (i think?). do these methods teach them to speak or read? or both?

snowbelle
is it parent particpation playgroup?

pauline,
If you are kiving the order than I won't add another 1 more title for the 100 words sticker.
JTB, that i might be going on labour n that time hubby might not ard by the time the books arrived, I would volunteer to help you with the collection from mama21. So I just go ahead with my original order?

Andrea,
Just happen to find the overspree closed. But you might wanna drop her an email so that she can let you know once she is opening another spree for first teeth. Link as below:
http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/590029/3048444.html

phonics
Does it matter which phonic teaching method as long as it met its purpose? I mean afterall it's to speak n read. Our kids r flexible n will be able to adapt to different teaching styles.

Back