(2008/02) Feb 2008 MTBs

flashcards...

i too show my daughter flashcards...and she can say fish and gallop when i show her horse (cos i show her b4) and she see cake... she will say "uhmmm (eating sound)...

iso,

ya bata has. cayenne 1st proper walking shoes is bubbleg frm bata. cheap cheap oni. $14plus i tink. hard 1 color sole.

but i prefer the transparent rubber sole.

Taka has more design? i went but not many leh. but will try out tangs.
happy.gif

nagsterak,

ur gal so smart. my gal at most can identify animals. say out the name of the animal, she still cannot. but hor she can say "bu yao" (means she dun wan!!!!) haha...

esther
i think tangs got more than taka. but tangs for all age ranges lah, up to early teens.

nagsterak
oh ok! think i might have missed seeing the bgummers at taka!

nagsterak,

haha.. i prefer my gal 2 learn proper words like dog, fish, cat etc 1st leh.

of cos she started her "bu yao" earlier aso good in the sense she tell me she dun wan tat particular item.

re : pneumococcal jab.

i brought Cayenne last sunday, no fever. $165 per jab. next jab will be in june.

chicken pox jab will do in april.

nagsterak,

haha.. no! becos we cant afford a porsche! tat y we named her Cayenne! haha... (no la jz kidding)

I like the pronunciation (similar to Kayenne) but prefer a C cos hb's surname is Chua.

HI EVERYONE!

My home modem is down for past few days....and been really busy struggling with work in office since I cannot work from home much since modem is down (excuse only la actually).

BX!!!
Ruth can't really walk also..but she loves to try la. So end up all of us have to take turns holding her hands/arms and her legs will try to "run" but not steady one..cuz she is too eager to go faster but her legs won't carry her.

Ruth also haven't really speak her first word. My hubby been 'hearing things' like "ok", "daddy", "cat" but erm...i think he 'hearing things' literally....too much fantasizing of her first word. hahaha.

SHAKING HEAD:
Ruth is damn good at shaking head lor...and she knows that it means she don't want something anymore. SHe uses it extensively for "enough food", "don't want this toy anymore", "dun want to eat this", "dun want milk", "dun want to play anymore - very tired" etc.

Qingling...exciting ah!!! I can't wait to see RUth's first steps!

JWT - you all going with free coupon ah? From the bday bash isit? If no coupon how much ah? I wanna try leh...but hope not too exp...

Think i'll take awhile to catch up with ALL your psots....

SHOES:
erm...Ruth is a lot of shoes! Almost soleless DISNEY 'mary-janes' (abt $15+), noisy sandals, adidas baby (present), bubble-gummer-like shoes. etc

I think all except the adidas is ok for her. The adidas sole too thick..she cannot feel the floor and balance.

I think as they walk more..need abit of protection for their joints that's why we bought shoes with abit mroe soles...but not too thick.

Why some of you don't allow baby to wear the ones at bata with the white transparent plastic sole?! i thought it looks pretty decent and comfy...??

GOGO- tomorrow not on then? Nvm, lets try again another time when everyone is free.

bx, these milestones are usually not a good indication of bb's long term intelligence/devlopment. Some bbs happen to hit them faster than the others. I am v sure there are some things your bb can do better than other bbs.
happy.gif

leila, most likely just a passing phase. Aiyo must be v tirng for you.

shoes- I read that actually, the best for development is for bb to go barefooted so that they can feel the ground and attain an accurate sense of balance. Of cos its mostly not practical nor safe, which is why there are shoes like bobux and shooshoos-type of bb shoes whch are soft and thin enough for bbs to FEEL the floor properly when walking. Also read that those harder sole-types are usually not recommended until bbs can walk/run really well.

FLASH CARDS:
erm..Ruth more keen in grabbing the cards and "analysing" them herself (followed by crushing them into two - even if they are very hard). Not quite intersted to listen to us read/educate her.

*shrug*

ya, my baby also take the flash cards out and try to put back into the box. then at times she cannot aim properly into the box she gets frustrated...but she will carry on and on...which is good cos i think testing her patience! but i think by the time she really understand, the cards all "koyak" leow

BX...yeah..agree with berry...
my brother didn't speak until very late. my auntie asked my mum if he is dumb.

my mum remember for life!

(lucky i think my bro end up quite smart n abit over-achiever...)

Hello mummies..

Din have time to log in for e past few days cause i was down w food poisoning over the weekends and baby was down with fever on sunday till tues.. just recovered yester and today she woke up w cold and cough!!! I am SUPER SIAN.... cause i am flying over tonight!! I think i must be super SUAY... she hadn't fallen sick like for abt 3-4 mnths liao and now have to fall sick..

Re: Walking babes..
WOW... so many of ur babes are walking liao.. *ENVY* even.. Danica who is younger than Gwen is walking liao.. think my Gwen must be one of the slowest... sigh

BX.. i think ashlynn is not that bad lah.. Gwen only managed to attempt to stand by herself yesterday.. and she took 1-2 steps.. but i dun think it will repeat so soon and she only dare to do it on e bumper mat... on floor she is scared cause too hard.

Re:Flash Cards and other development
Hmm... I flashed more often now cause at home.. try to do it 2-3x a day.. but dunno whether she got absorbed or not. Ask her to choose e correct card but she prefer to grab both leh.. sigh..

Jass.. wah.. matt not bad leh.. can recognise words.

Ester.. when did cayenne start walking? SHe is so smart.. can say bu yao.. i think thats quite high level leh.

nagesterak.. ur ger also very smart.. can identify fish and horse.

qingling and apple.. wow.. u all can flash till 40 plus.. not bad .. but quite difficult to assess hor? i think most impt stimulate e brains lor.

Aiyoh.. i think i better pyscho myself to stop comparing gwen and others..
happy.gif
.. all babies are different.

Re: 'naughty' babes? independent?
Ok.. maybe 'naughty' is not e right word but what i want to say is that gwen is showing a lot of her peronality now.. or is it most kids are like that??

She gets angry when u take away things that she wants to take.. i did explain to her y cannot take lah.. buit obviously she doesnt understand much..

She luvs to throw things when sitted high and sometimes she just like to use her two hands and SWEEP everything on e table very angrily and on purpose just want to see things being messy.

SHe cries quite a bit recently but maybe coz she is sick.. and i really get quite fed-up at times.. dunno what she wants!!

She doesnt care whether u are scolding her or even beat her...she whimper a bit and continue.. SIGH.

When i see her like that... i have phobia abt having 2 nd kid liao.. i am thinking to myself: 'Wow, its really not easy once they start to grow up and get curious and know more and noe how to show temper, scary.'

Re: Babes not sleeping through

BX/AManda.... i never really have gd sleep ever since she was borned.. she wakes up almost everynight abt 3-4 times and worst till 10 x..u can imagine how tired i am.

SHe only slept thru for prob.. less than 10 nights since 1st borned..
sad.gif

Think Ashlynn and AManda is just a phase.. mabe growth spurt or teeth growing..

Leila... gwen is like Leonard... super clingy now..

Sorry for e long post.. taking a break from my last min. packing.

Re: JWT

Lezy.. they have credit card promo.. remember to ask them.. i just called yester and found out.. 505 of trial so abt 20 bucks

Re:shoes
i also have problem finding e right shoes.. e length are all nice for her.. but the width or heigh is too broad.. end up her feet wriggles inside.. how har??

i have bubble gummers sandals.. front too high.. doesnt hold e fee.. fox shoes also not good.. dunno what to buy for her.

need help with filing income tax!!

as first time mothers, i reckon these are the reliefs / rebates that we get:
1. grandparent caregiver relief (3,000)
2. qualifying child relief (4,000)
3. working mother's relief (15% of income)
4. parental tax rebate of S$5,000

that's it right?

genice,

re : sick

poor gwen sick ah. cant be helped i tink, due 2 virus ard. Cayenne aso din fall sick many mths till near her 1st BD. super cranky and unhappy tat day. I see all of ur bbs BD they r happy happy, except Cayenne. Wat a day 2 fall sick!

re : walk

Cayenne started her 1st 2 steps just on the CNY eve. thereafter we encourage and let her on the floor more and lure her by holding something which she wan. (not her toys, she simply boh chap her toys, she prefer remote control, and those items tat she isnt supposed 2 touch). frm there, she practise and walk more steps.

finally abt 3 wks later, she start walking more confidently.

i tink gwen will start her walking soon if she alreadi walk 2 steps unassisted.

re : throw things/show temper

Cayenne same same aso. the more u say no, the more she will do it PURPOSELY.

Worse when we say "No" "Cannot", she will "k k" cry. within secs, tears flow. but can tell is fake tears. haha... she is trying her luck 2 get her way thru tears.

re :comparison wif other bbs

dun compare cos u will be stressed. all bbs r unique individuals. i prefer 2 share our bb developments with one another so tat frm there we can learn frm one another.

i got a gf who loves 2 compare her gal wif my gal. which i tink not healthy lor.

genice,
hi 5 back!

hehe...know how you feel. i also felt very frustrated with A until i read this book positive discipline. ok, i'm still not a saint, but the book was helpful in explaining why our babes don't respond when we tell them no (they don't understand what no means apparently, not that they purposely want to do the opposite). also talks about how we should provide lots of distraction and re-directio whenever we don't want them to do something.

i guess that made me alot more patient...

jeannie
*patpat*, i can sympathise, E also kept waking up thru the night a lot the last few months, only recently he started to sleep through. and then got other babies who from 3 months already sleep thru! pek chek. but just met my friend yesterday who said her daughter didn't sleep thru until 18 months.. so, you're not suffering alone.

i think throwing things on the floor and sweeping things off is normal - also if got container with toys in it, they like to pour everything out. my MIL says all babies like that. when E is "destroying" things he even has a v cute kind of growl. we found it so funny we started to stack things up for him to "tear" down...
2221618.jpg

oh, me me!!! another one who's baby doesn't sleep through!!!

talking about throwing things out of boxes, onto the floor...recently i'm play this game with baby called "let's keep things". so i will point to items and then point to the empty box and say baby keep this. and then she will follow. hehe...good training on being neat!!

Iso,
is that pic of E???

ester.. wow/.. that means cayenne started walking at 11 mnths? thats fast!
happy.gif

so now babies all e same.. like to fake fake and test limits one.. sigh.. just like students.. :p

Gar.. yar.. i also losing patience.. shld go and get some books to read too... hehe.. noeing that more babes are like that do things on purpose at least makes me feel more normal.. i thot only gwen like that.. then i was thinking to myself.. jia lat liao.. so young so 'beyond parental control' liao..

lezy,
ok the theory in the book is that babies don't understand no. so useless to screech NOOOOO to them =P

and it's not like they purposely want to touch things that they are not supposed to. it's that their developmental blueprint is so overwhelming that it makes them NEED to explore and touch EVERYTHING.

they advocate a few methods with dealing with such scenarios:
(a) removing baby from the prohibited item or place, and distracting them with things that they are allowed to touch (babies are supposed to be easily distracted...helps if they have a favourite toy or something)
(b) make these prohibited things or places as unaccessible as possible
(c) if all else fails, let them touch those items but make it as safe as possible (eg. cover the wires up with those safety gauze / tubing)

iso.. thanks.. feel more comforted.. gd that ethan can sleep thru... i really waiting for e day..*cross fingers* hope my next bbb can sleep well!!

gar.. A also doent sleep thru? u mean all e while?

Gar i also try to tell u and demo leh.. sometimes she will do it.. now her fave game is putting coins into e Piggy bank.. Haha.. so cute.. when she succeeds in putting one she will clap her hands and say Yeh!!

Iso.. where u buy e blocks.. i have been looking around for it..

Gwen very 'Lor Sor' at hm.. keep on talking and talking.. there were a few times i think she imitated our language.. and she said 'hello' and 'thank you'.ant wait for her to start talking and tell me her NEEDS!!! then i dun need to guess... wah.. skali she tok b4 she walk.. erm.. that will be quite scary hor.. a crawling and talking baby..

genice,

no la, in my view, she started her proper walking oni 3 after her BD. CNY eve and the following days still small tiny steps (not more than 20 steps) and not so stable. when walk near hb, she will "run" and jump onto him.

bbs r smart, they will "k k". if we give in, tat's it! but hor, i got the tendency 2 give in! so i kept remindin myself not 2!

gar,

i aso start teaching Cayenne put things back. but doesnt work on her leh. i showed her. she took it out! argh...

gar
yes, that's E! so u successful in training her how to keep? good job!! haha

i've been trying to "teach" to keep also but also not easy lah, but i think we should keep trying so that they don't get into the habit of leaving their toys all around
happy.gif
sometimes he'll keep but take it out again.

jeannie
ya but sometimes he will still wake up for milk. i also hope my next baby will sleep more!! the blocks is hand me down, so i not sure where to buy. i'm sure in the states they will have plenty of toys!
happy.gif

any babies can nod?

genice,
hee...so cute!! know how to put coins into piggy bank!!

A slept thru at fairly young age 4 mths plus (8+ to 5+). then at around 8 mths plus, dunno what happened, everything changed. she'll wake up once or twice every night. some nights so many times that we lose count.

esther,
i've been teaching her for months...then gave up...recently tried again - she seems more receptive this time round. need lots of patience!

tubao,
aiyoh, she where got fun-loving and beautiful face. haha... i have never classify her under the "good-looking" category. but hope that she will become prettier as she grows up. haha... on a serious note, i think emma is really smart bb
happy.gif
seems to learn things very fast
happy.gif

genice,
i think gwen is the speech inclined kind. ashlynn is neither speech nor psychomotor. sometimes really envious of the other babies who make so much progress.

esther,
cayenne is so smart!!

bkk,
20 mth! haha... i dun think i can wait for so long for ashlynn to walk.

berry/lezy,
i hope ashlynn is one of those with hidden talent. hee...

Gar,
Ya, i think distracting her works. I can never put her in front of my TV area - cuz my cable box, DVD players etc there with a multi-plug which she ADORES going after!

Always have to put her further away where she won't see the wires.

Also, she'll go after the small bottles of lotion n etc - really scared she'll just twist and it opens. She seems to be really good and opening things!!

My ruth is very rough and loud ah. She yells very loud in frustration when she can't do something she's trying very hard to. It's heart-warming, funny and abit cruel but i can't help laughing whenever she does that.

I love to see my parents holding her hands - one on each side - and she's just dangling there, trying her best to walk. So funny.

She's crazy about waving byebye nowadays.

btw...i think our babies are all so wonderfully different. It's really interesting to hear how the babies grow!

bkk..bx...we must get our babies together and see how different the 3 15-Feb girls are!! heh.

Jeannie
Good luck, all the best, bon voyage!!!

Do keep coming into the forum and update us abt Gwen ok? The air in the airplane is dry and will irritate Gwen's throat, so make sure that you hydrate her well ok? Will miss you...take care.

Lezy
There are actually 4 babies born on 15 Feb - I think Cayenne's one of them. They are all super different indeed...would be fun to meet up.

Gar
wah, filing already ah? so organised u. i guess civil servants just take it for granted, everything's pre-filed or e-filed which is bad cos you never know what may be "added" by the system.

her favourite stance nowadays....sitting with her legs like a duck and raising her hands to head - sometimes in joy, mostly in frustration of sorts.

2221726.jpg

bkk..now that u mentioned...i think got one more but cannot remember!!! heh.

i am all for celebrating their differences and sharing our experiences on how we deal with their behaviours and etc. It's all perfectly ok if one baby doesn't seem to be doing what the others are doing.

honestly, i'm happy she's unique. We must accept them for who they are - after all, we're their parent and who else will love them so unconditionally?

For Ruth, i think she won't be walking as fast as others cuz she's abit more lanky and thus, it'll be abit more balance required in learning to walk.

happy.gif

bkk/iso,
eh...i think i'm quite a cheapo mum, hahaha... C only has 1 soft sole shoes, can't remember the brand from kiddy palace. even with the soft sole type he looks very very uncomfortable but he walks quite well barefooted at home and he walks everywhere. I guess just need more training to walk outside or train inside the house as well :p

leila,
err... my mom does a standard way, she'll make a soup with all the meat/vegie/onions/very light seasoning then mix it with plain porridge after she puree the meat/vegie. Quite yummy actually. For french beans we use quite a lot, some of the varieties :
1)chick, carrot, potato and french beans
2)white fish, brocolli and french beans
3)pork, red bean and french beans
ok...we love french beans so will cook a lot of with it...hehehe..
happy.gif

lezy,
cayleb also sits like that a lot! hehehe...duck pose... i like the way you describe it
happy.gif

lezy:
wah.. havent seen ruth for a while, she look quite diff leh.
happy.gif

jeannie:
qi lu shun feng wor. hope gwen is feeling much much better liao.

iso jie:
Hey… that’s a good suggestion. Will try it out *wink*

bx:
my matt is not walking yet too. he is quite a timid boy. refuse to let go when he stands and when we insist to let go, he will just squat down. haha he is only cruising ard and its already quite headache as he goes for the remote and plug. so i kinda of wanna him to walk faster but on the other hand hope he wont walk so fast. LOL

Hi, Garfield

Mind sharing with me name and author of the baby discipline book?

Any other baby books to recommend? Thanks a lot... try to read more books......

Hi, Bx
Haha... Ashlynn is much prettier and fun loving than Emma .....also I am amazed how you can dress Ashlynn so nicely every time I read your blog..... she definitely have good taste on clothes than emma when she grows up.....^_^......

Hi, Genice
Gwen can say "hello" and "Thank you"!!.....
Remeber she babbled no-stop at playdate at your home;

She can tell stories to other babies at babies 2nd birthday bash...Yeh......

bx
I agree wif tubao that u always dress ashlynn up. I think i'm not that dedicated to dress her up.

Jeannie,
Wah u leaving so fast? Have a good trip man!

Babies travelling on plane:
I met up wif some friends n one of them said that many of her friends who need to travel wif baby use a mild form of sedation eg cough syrup etc. Of course it's personally prescribed by one of our friends who is an anaesthetician. Saves e sanity of everyone on board n makes it easier for baby too. What's your take?

thanks bkkgal, jass, qingling and all mummies.

Will catch up w u all again.must meetup for playdates when i am back to catch up.

Lezy.. haha.. actually gwen is down with a cough.. i got ample reason to use cough syrup..erm..so shld i actually be happy? :p

jeannie...
eh...must emphasize that it's used with doctor's guidance and recommendation la!!! But if the cough syrup given by PD/GP HAPPENS to make her sleepy...erm...i guess...well...

heh.

Actually this baby crying in plane thing is quite a sensitive thing for me. I mean, with our own kids, we can even go crazy with their crying despite our love for them. Imagine if you're just trying to get a break and taking a plane to holiday and this kid is just crying non stop etc...will be quite unbearable since u can't run anywhere!

:p

Tubao, went to popular today, and bought 3 packs of flashcards at $7.90 each, must be the ones you are talking about. Bought 4 bilingual posters too to put at ILs house cos they got no patience to flash but don't mind using the posters to teach RaeAnne.

Genice, bon voyage and have a good time at US.
happy.gif

Gar, bx, Genice, RaeAnne never slept through too except those few nights when she's sick and drugged with med. :p

I'm teaching her to keep her toys in the box too. But it only applies to toys that she is sick of, those that she still wants to play, she'll hold onto the toy, pretend to put inside the box and take them out again. I've got pry open her fingers and make her let go. Hee.

Back