(2008/01) Jan 2008 MTBs

luvv, u can try ChongZheng, that school
quite gd
happy.gif

kitsune, Poi Ching no nd balloting mgt be due to
it only offers Mandarin as mother tongue.

Luvv, oh, that's near East Spring pri school and TPJC. Is East sprint pri school good? Ya, that's why I don't even want to try for St Hilda. My cousin staying at blk 909, within 1 km of St Hilda, also come to Poi Ching to be PV so that her son can study at Poi Ching. St Hilda too hard to get in. :p

babyling, hello! Yup, I heard of that from my neighbours whose kids go to Poi Ching too. Will you reg for PV? I am a bit confused by the phases, maybe Mom2nat or blackbatz can advise. If I cannot get RA into Poi Ching via ballot, will it be too late to enrol her in Ngee Ann Pri? My hubby's alma mater after that? :p

kitsune, most probably will be gng to PV so to secure the place. if din go via PV, will b under phrase 2C.
if 2C din get a seat, there will be a 2C(2) for
the remaining seats left from phrase 2C. for Ngee Ann Pri, hw is their phrase 2C status, any more phrases
after that??

babyling, you are also within 1 km right? Aiyoh, within 1km also need to go for PV? So sian... Plan A is for her to go Poi Ching, so near, convenient, even if we are not free, grandparents can fetch her home.

Plan B is Ngee Ann Pri, last yr, no need to ballot for within 1km too. Marine parade area, many pp fighting to go to Tao nan so Ngee Ann Pri become second choice. haha.

Hubby is alumni so should be an earlier reg phase. I thought if RA cannot get to Poi ching then enrol in Ngee ann pri then get hubby to send her to school everyday. He is teaching at VJC, near to Ngee Ann Pri. But coming back, she will have to take school bus. I also don't know if I can register for two different schools at the same time, so confusing. :p

kitsune
the water is cold by my son dont mind. after come out he shivering like crazy...

so i wanna ask mummies....

where to buy kids bathrobe ah??? i cannot find ler...kiddy palace?

Pixie, oic. yup, can buy from kiddypalace, safest bet. Big dept stores' kids dept, should also have. Eh, you selling off your ipad liao ah? My hubby still happily using it though I asked him a few times if he wants to upgrade to ipad2. hee.

Pixie,
Thanks. But i think my hub would want a ipad2. I jusg started using my galaxy note and i am happy enough with it.

Talking about school again....... Guess what? I called chongfu earlier this week, and they asked me to submit PV form! So fast!!! By 2013, PV hours increased to 60 hours!

My ex-col's girl is at st hilda. She said the school's chinese is terrible!

babyling,
my neighbour went St Hilda to do PV yet their son still could not get any placement. Think it's a waste of time~!

Kam,
you're staying very near Chung Fu right? need to do PV?

Pixie,
yes kiddy palace has, i bought my girls' bathrobe there.

luvv, difficult to get in as it is a gifted school. moreover, according to my friend, there are only 2 gifted school
in east area. another gifted school like poi ching, only offered mandarin as mother tongue. therefore all the non-chinese
will cm to st hildas making so competitive

Hi mummies,
Busy for the last 2 days so kind of missed the forum. Paiseh, mom2nat, have not gone to Paragon for a while. Got to find another time to meet u so that I can breathe properly.

Pauline,
Alumni is phase 2(A)1 while old boys is phase 2(A)2.
PV comes under Phase 2(B).
No connection under Phase 2C.
If fail to get into primary school of your choice under Phase 2C, then u have to register with the remaining primary school with vacancies under Phase 2C(supplement).

MOE system is computerised. once u registered for a school, you cannot register for another school unless you withdraw your application from the first school.

In your case, if u fail to secure a place to Poi Ching under Phase 2(B), you cannot go to Ngee Ann and ask them to allow u to register under old boys.

By then u must decide if u want to register for Poi Ching or Ngee Ann under phase 2C, can only choose 1 school. If PC is exceedingly popular, then there will be balloting. if get in PC, congratulations..Otherwise, wait for Phase 2C(supplement) and register with Ngee Ann.

I hope my explanation is not confusing..
happy.gif

babyling
pls call me pixiepixel
i bot it hmmmm in last feb for my hb (xmas, vday, wedding anniversary). then it became "mine" coz i had my #2 in march and i spend my online time via ipad than pc...

after that, didnt use much...

can let go at 600...i bot at ~1k, coz its 32gb + 3G, not the normal non 3G version. wah kao, wasted leh, coz we never even got the sim card to bring out as a 3G surfing outdoors
so my ipad never saw the outside world

price can discuss lah, i just want to get rid of the white elephant but just dont want to lose too much $$ on this...its well maintained btw

blackbatz, thanks for explanation. I understand now. For Ngee ann, we can only qualify for phase 2A(2) then cos he have not joined as alumni yet. Is it possible for both parents to register as PV then each person only do 30 hrs? Cos I am not keen to do 60 hrs of PV on my own leh. If cannot, I may try my luck with PC then if cannot then go and try Ngee Ann bah. :p

Pixie, me too, should have just bought the wifi version, cheaper by a few hundred dollars somemore. :p

hi all! woke up to have supper.

bathrobe can buy from aussino, i just got new ones for the kids. px 12.90-14.90 depending on design. its in the clearance basket in front of the cashier.

hmm, if everyone aims for the less popular school eg PC rather than the 'intended one' eg St Hilda's, then we might end up with PC being more contested.

i aim my alma mata for my gal and perhaps elias park for my boy.

Pauline,
I think the PV hours is for the parents. That's what I understand from friends who did the PV at Pei Chun, 60 hours. If husband is not free, then wife will take over (vice versa). If both hubby and wife do on the same day, it's double hours. Most school activities are in the afternoon, so I doubt your hubby can take timeoff to do PV.

As for CCA, it is strongly encouraged in my boy's school for P1 to 3 but compulsory from P4 onwards. However, majority of them have CCA from P1. I was very shock when his teacher told me about 80% of his classmates has CCA at the end of P1. As the school bus operator provides services to send the children home after CCA, I enrolled him in one of the CCA.

This CCA thing came about because of Direct School Admission (DSA). The child can build up their "resume" through various ways : participation in the CCA, external competitions, international competitions etc. (merely attending is not enough,must be competitive nature) By the time they are in P6, they will have a long list of achivements which they can use it to apply to their "choice" secondary school via DSA.

So you either apply for secondary school base solely on your PSLE results or via DSA route (through CCAs). That's why LKY says PSLE is the levelling ground.

Wow.. long time never come in to read and I'm surprised by the number of enrichments some of the kids are already having!!

I must be one slack (& poor) mum. So far, only signed C up for ballet class and that's because she asked for it. *GUILTY!!*

And Pauline already thinking of PV??? Geee... Now, my concern is whether C is happy in Nursery or not. Hahah.. coz every morning, my mum tells me she goes to sch reluctantly.

Mcfluffy,
Yes, have to think about PV now if need to do something have to start by end of year or next year.

And I think I am the laziest mum here, 0 enrichment for my kids. Waiting to see if the CC has any offerings.

Blackbatz,
I read about your sharing on CCA and I want to faint. I also did not know Pri sch has CCA too!!! I really pity our kids leh...

Kitsune,
There are some PV activities in the morning but those are really early. Like my SIL and my bro, they opted for assistants in school buses and ashers for traffic... need to be in school by 5am+... Quite crazy right? But luckily their efforts paid off.

Luvv
Were you from SC too?
My girl takes 1 way sch bus home. When she finishes sch at 1.10pm, she reaches 2.40pm. ON longer days,1.40pm, she reaches ard 3.15pm. Sometimes later. Imagine with CCA? And CCAs not always straight after school, esp for older kids, can start 3 or 4pm.

I din let her take bus to sch, the driver wants to come at 5.15am!!! I find it v tiring 1 way, can't imagine 2 ways.

kitsune
YOu cannot try PC then try Ngee ann. The phase for gg into Ngee Ann comes first, cos is old boy. ONce you din take this up, you go into next phase. CAn't come back liao.

Krystle,
Primary school is very different one. No longer like our days. These days even neighborhood schools will sent kids (usually upper primary) for overseas exchange program to neighboring countries or HK or China.

Mom2nat,
I agree.. Very tiring with the running about. More frustrated with #3 refused to drink from bottle, refused to sit in car seat and stroller. I wanna stop BF him soon, regretted not feeding him with bottle more frequently.

Hi mummies,
wow that means we can only register for 1 school? then when the child didn't get admitted, then we can only go through phase 2C (if there's availability)?

Mom2nat,
yup but from Sec not Pri. Nat started CCA? if so, the sch bus won't be able to send her home right?

Hello all! Got time to log in now cos I am in India, keke, no kids around. Just called them, miss them so much! 2 more days to go.....

Blackbatz,
What? CCA still has to be of competitive nature??? OMG, think the education here has seriously went wrong...... I am all for CCA but not of competitive nature. Kids joining CCA can help them to develop thier interest or hobby while learning something out of textbooks. But why must force them to be competitive, so young only leh :-((

Having said this, I should be submitting my PV form on this thursday before going back for CNY, haha. At the end, I am the most kiasu mum cos I should be the first one here to register for PV :)

mcfluffy / krystle,
I am another one who doesn't send kids for enrichment class. HR had attended 1 term of music class 2 years ago, and on piano class for 2 months last year. Now he is not going for anything, except full day childcare. His childcare has FOC phocis, abacus, speech and drama, reading program for Chinese and English. Optional will be swiimming class and piano. Still thinking if I should sign him up for the swimming class. My gal has never attended any class till now, 2.5 yo, luckily she is doing well, very talkative and learn things at a very fast speed. Since she is now attending full day cc, should be okay. I hope I can don't send them to enrichment class at all, still want to focus on letting them have fun fun fun!

Both of them are not afraid of water at all! Now we have easy access to swimming pool, they play happily at the pool. Not scared to dunk their head below the water. We have so much fun playing. Some kids were having their swimming lessons, think all distracted by our laughter and couldn't concentrate, hehe.

CCA is not like our time, just join and take attendance. Unfortunately itis not the case now. like I say earlier, u can chose to opt for the normal route if u find that it is too young to push them into competitive sports. Having said that, some kids are passionate about their CCA, so much so that they will go all out to win. They are still developing their interests.

Mcfluffy, I am thinking of pv only cos i was tipped off by feb08 mummies. Some even going to reg for pv for 2 schools. I still feel a bit sian to be a pv if actually no need to ballot. Wait n see before I decide... :p

Blackbatz, ya, I dun want want to wake up so early so ushers n traffic coordinators r out. :p

Mom2nat, Thanks, I got it after blackbatz explained further. Looks like old boy or alumni is a privilege, once given up, cannot get back liao. :p by the way, yesterday evening, met Mrs Cynthia, the elfa cluster principal. She said if u want to put Elliot at their katong branch, got vacancy. School fees higher though. U want to call her at 67864484 to check? 

Hello Kam, so haore not taking piano lessons anymore? Is it because of distance from new home or he lost interest?

Kam
Well, HR IS attending enrichment lessons already what.. "FOC" phonics etc. C's nursery doesn't have all these until K1. Acutally I prefer cc to have all these enrichment. All under one roof. No need to rush here and there, find suitable timing etc. Leave the weekends for enjoying and PLAY!!!

Krystle,
Both your kiddos in childcare? No enrichment lessons by the childcare? CC can be good and cheap.. haha.. I like. Sometimes the kids san fen zhong re du.. learn half way don't want to learn... :x

Mcfluffy,
The CC is only ready next month. Right now, I still don't know what is the curriculum or what extra enrichment courses are offered (not even sure if there is any! Ha!)
Just grab place and see how things go.
But I guess PCF CC... You can't compare with those pte ones...

kitsune,

this is what my friend did.
register her child in her old school first, then go to the school that she did PV on the last day for phrase 2B, confirm within 1km dont need to ballot, she quickly withdraw from her application from the 1st sch and bring it to the school that she did PV to submit.
So, right now, her kids are in the school that she did PV.
*Talking about kiasu*..hehe

hello mummies - playdates!!!

As promised, I would like to arrange for a playdate at my place.

Option - to book the club house or not. If don't need to book, can have it anytime, just let the kids play in the pool with play structure and we just stand/sit nearby, with no food arranged. If we want to have a proper party like gathering, need to book the club house, which is also just next to the pool. We can either do potluck or order food. Which one do you prefer?

Date - one weekend in February (if no need to book, can be any weekday).

Time - 4 to 7pm (if have food, can stay longer and need not rush off for dinner).

Venue - Yishun

Who would be interested (as what I can remember):
1. Steph
2. Pixie
3. Tongtong

Please add you name and state your preference and prefered date. Hope to finalise this by Thursday (i know very rush, but I will be away for CNY, with no/limited internet access). Will send message to all the Jan08 mumnmies in my FB contacts, so that everyone will chiong here to leave a message :)

Damn it! Spent so much time scroll through my long friend list in my FB, inserted all the names in the list, then pressed one wrong button, everything is gone. No energy to redo it :-( So let's see how's the respond from this thread. Please help to inform those who seldom log in nowaday, but used to be regulars.

I am not a good host hor, so don't expect too much. Just thought it would be nice for the kids to meet (though wonder if they would play with each other) and of course for us mummies to meet.

Harlo Gd morning everyone!!
happy.gif

<font color="0000ff"><font size="+2">Happy 4th Birthday to ALL the Dec07/Jan08 kiddos!!</font></font> Gosh time flies...<font color="ff0000">May the Year of Dragon flood your home with happiness, good health &amp; prosperity! HUAT AH!!!</font>

Re: PV
well i have thought abt it BUT Jurong area not much of good/outstanding school. Neighbourhood school alot though. The nearest within 1-2km of my home, will be Shuqun &amp; Rulang (any mummies staying in the west considering these 2 schools??) Even neighbourhood school like Shuqun Primary also need ballot
sad.gif
Otherwise i will just register Z into Jurong Primary (hb is old boys)...play by ear...haiz

Kam,
thanks for kick start on the playdates
happy.gif

If we have say more than 6 CONFIRMED mummies, we can book the clubhse. According to history (archives), mummies often couldn't make it last minute:p I prefer morning meet up 10-12noon but will go with majority preference
happy.gif

4th &amp; 12th Feb unavailable
5th or 11th Feb ok for now
happy.gif

And wishing all mummies &amp; your family, A Happy Lunar New Year!
happy.gif

Kam, thanks for the invite.
happy.gif
Would love to go but weekend pm timing hard for me cos the kids' different nap times n I may have to work. Prefer morning timing like Steph.
happy.gif

Kam, great to hear about the playdate at your place!

I'm not available on 4,18-19, 26 Feb.

Shall we have a tentative date of 11? Then mummies can revert whether they can make it or not.

kitsune
Katong too far from Pasir ris. I think more schools in Katong and more availability too.

Luvv
Nat hasn't joined any CCA cos I can't ferry her last year. This year see which CCA she can get into.

Blackbatz
Ur boy not taking bottle well then how u stop bf?? End up nothing to drink. Isit bcos new maid?

When they get more wakeful n aware if their surroundings, they can't nap well Liao. Sigh... Mine like tat since 2 mths old.

hello mummies!
im ok with 11 feb....kam, if majority wants to meet earlier eg morning/noon, can we? u r the host afterall. food we can plan later no worries de

Date - 5th OR 11th feb

Time - 4 to 7pm (if have food, can stay longer and need not rush off for dinner)

Venue - Yishun (kam's new pad [her condo is not whisper, laurier, sofy ok....])

Who would be interested:
1. Steph - 5,11 ok
2. Pixie - 5,11 ok
3. Tongtong - 5,11 ok
4. kitsune - pls cfm if you wanna attend if we move this to AM?

Hello mummies!

Sure, I am okay with AM or PM. The reason why I suggested PM was because I brought XY to a playdate a few weeks back and I found it a good time, with all the toddlers woke up from nap, all of them (about 10) were in good mood, no one was moody or grumpy, very nice playdate.

Anyway, back to ours.

Date - 5th of 11th feb

Time - 10 to 12noon or longer

Venue - Yishun (kam's new pad [her condo is not whisper, laurier, sofy ok....]) - hahaha, very funny. Don't want to say it here cos may still have strangers reading this thread leh.

Who would be interested:
1. Steph - 5,11 ok
2. Pixie - 5,11 ok
3. Tongtong - 5,11 ok
4. kitsune - pls cfm if you wanna attend if we move this to AM?

Hi! Replying through iPhone so difficult to copy n paste

If timing is 10 to 12 noon, I can make it on 11th sat only.
And *cross fingers* Nothing happens to C on that day... Somehow, really no luck with the play dates!

hi, Kam

Thanks for accommodating and changing to morning timing. But aiyah, both dates cannot leh. 5 Feb is my friend's daughter birthday party.I RSVPed last week liao. 11 Feb (sat), RA got music class at 12noon.
sad.gif
Never mind, I see if I can rush down and be there for a short while from 10-11am. Cos still need to settle their lunch before lesson. :p

Mom2nat,
So sad that my current maid is leaving..My #2 kept telling me that he does not want her to go home. He wants to go to her home to see monkeys...Got my new maid today..She made a few boo boo and I shudder to think how long she will take to learn, probably 6 months like my previous maid. Think I have to train her from scratch...Her working experience is working in "kopitiam"...Sigh..

Really trying hard to get my boy to like the bottle, stroller and car seat. Otherwise, I cannot get anything done le. This round, my mum has no patient to feed him with bottle. Sianz..If he can drink from bottle and breast, at least I can run errands, take him out etc..Scream like nobody business when we put him in the stroller. Very paiseh cos everyone was wodnering why I wasn't pacifying him. They didn't know that I'm training him to sit in the stroller longer.

Blackbatz
I never tell my kids any maid is leaving. Cos I dun wan the kids to feel for it. When my current maid left previously, she put Elliot to bed, pat him then cried. Cos she dotes on him. But tat fella only asked in the morning &amp; never again! How ungrateful hor.

Your time v tied to ur bb n #1's schedule. Mine naps little, we v busy with him too. Screams n shouts to be carried. Very peng San.

U spend some time train this helper, so u can free up more time.

Hi, Kam and other mummies,

Can I join playdate in Feb? Hehe.....both dates are okie for me, will bring my 3 girls over.

Back