2007 sahm n bf mom

Hi mummies! Long time nvr come into this thread.

chergamine, I agree with you lo, i still hv brittle nails and my teeth broke few mths aft i gave birth. initiually needed to do wisdom tooth extraction, in the end no need liao cos it dropped off by itself- how uncool! *LOL

I hv been TBF my bb for 10.5mth (except she started solids at 8mth). I also eat ANYTHING/EVERYTING n believe bb will absorb only the good. so far her wt gain has always been good n above average.

as she is turning 1yr old in Nov, I wish to stop expressing BM. currently she takes 1-2x EBM at my mum pl (i work at hm) n I latch her morn n night.

my BM dropped cos i dun express regularly but luckily her intake also dropped due to solids so i m still nt so stressed with supply.i m very sick n tired of expressing but i totally enjoy the latching moments. so i hope i can replace her daytime feeds with FM when she turns 1 n continue latching whenever i m ard...but i wonder if tat will be enough to last her for night feeds n also BF her till older.
any mummies can advise?

vivienne, wow u are really great! so u still BF ur son even outside? is he attending playgrp already? how do u replace his milk feeds if so?

s@l if you want to continue nursing as long as possible, it's not a very good idea to start FM at all, as you yourself mentioned that your supply dropped as a result of not expressing regularly. Imagine when you start daytime FM feeds, means that your breast will get even less stimulation to produce milk
sad.gif

as for playgroup, my boy is going 1x a week now (mummy and baby classes) and he only ever asked for milk once in 6 lessons during class and I just nursed him quickly after his break time, hahaha, so simple and easy la!

cherg, you can only be a tits ambassador to like-minded mummies like us. if not those others who never nursed or didnt put in enough effort, will say we are overzealous and crazy people!!!
biggrin.gif

vivienne: thanks for the info, but personally I dont think I will continue nursing my child after 2plus years old as I would like to gain some weight and "bu shen ti" (nourish myself) before having my 2nd child. So in this case isn't fresh milk a better alternative than FM or I should not bother giving him any milk at all? how ah?

vivienne,

thanks for the article. and like sleek said, supplementing with formula will only decrease our bm supply. So, i have decided not to supplement, even when I go part time. Now I just need to show my parents-in-law the article and educate them so that they don't feed her formula while i'm not around. But that would mean expressing! eeks! I'm that lazy... been direct latching these 13months... I hate expressing. Have an Avent manual one. Express soooooo little every time I tried... Don't feel like buying an electric one cos quite ex...

sleek, I think children will always need milk? Unless they get their calcium from other sources, like dark leafy vege etc? But then again, I read an article that says ang mohs have higher breast cancer cos of dairy products like milk and cheese compared to China Chinese who were not used to consuming dairy products... That they make terrible formula these days when they start... sheesh... Don't know how true this is.

sleek,

maybe children don't really need milk (cow's or formula), after reading http://www.babyreference.com/MilkingYourBones.htm . Trying to absorb the info but I think the general idea is to get our calcium from vege etc rather than dairy, and to exercise to build/strengthen bones. There are also many other nutrients needed to build bones which are not in cow's milk. Whereas breastmilk has and so is still best for our children, even beyond 2. cow milk is the same as formula milk, US marketing ploys.

jenny, thanks for that article. wah, very difficult for us to decide what is best for our children as an alternative to BM!! You know there have been studies done that show a diet high in packaged soya products (like the packed milk, etc/ not the natural dou hua, tofu) can also cause cancer... *sigh*

guess at the end of the day a normal balanced diet is still the best.

sleek, thanks for ur imput...u see, thats my dilemma. I know well that less stimulation = drop in supply. But i really Hate hate hate pumping! I but i enjoy the latching whenever i m ard...when we go out, its jus so convenient. actually i 'bu she de' give up BF...its jus that the pumping part. i hope i can stop expressing for the times she is at my mum pl. if i dun pump during this period, its abt 8hrs without stimulation..supply sure gone.

I m not a SAHM, i work at hm, so sometimes when i need to rush work, will send her to my mum pl, so during that period i will need to 'empty' my breast.really no choice. now with the China tainted milk saga...i think i hv even more reason not to stop....Cham...if i m full time SAHM, then i really hv no reason to stop at all

hiaz..its been a real struggle for me since i crossed the 6mth target to BF...on one hand i wan to regain my freedom (of nt worrying abt the engorgment when i m outside without bb) on the other hand hope to give her for as long as i can

Chergamine,

need your advice re: travelling to AU

for all the items to be declared, do i need to put in a separate luggage so that easier for them to take out (will they?!!?) or can pack together with all the clothings in the big luggage? will be quite embarrassing - imagine throwing out all the clothes including mummy's bras and panties etc etc ;p

wow if need to pack separately in hand carry will be so inconvenient - i mean, heavy cannot check in?

i've a 2 tins of milk powder and 1 pack of nestle rice cereal (with milk - ok? i worry about this cos i read cannot bring in dairy products???)...plus some other snacks - heinz biscults and pigeon instant porridge...

flying away tis fri so bit of anxiety attack now haha.

hi gretel,
ok wat the families travelling with kids normally do is to pack all that need to be declared in a big separate bag(all together lah easier)then just placed it in together with your check-in luggage.

Since you've declared it,all the officials will do is just to check the bag that you've packed(items to declare).
Thats wat i also did.Cos i understand to carry evrythin onboard would be a hassle.
Personally,I packed all my stuff in clear zip-lock bag..those big ones that can be purchased at Daiso.I'd pack our stuffs separately.say lingerie in one,clothes in the other...etc
Like ive mentioned before.Just declare every food items.LAbel it as INFANT PRODUCTS..then list it.As long as there's labels,it should be ok.
Hope this helps ya..

Have a nice & safe trip

halo mommies,

haven't been writing cos very busy with housework since returning indo maid, twice!!!

here's my long story...
1st maid came in last nov. transfer maid, ex-s'pore,ie. has worked in s'pore b4. When i 1st got her, I thought she can work pretty fast and well but find her disrepectful at times. She talks to me as if i'm her good friend. Not that I don't want to be friendly but I must still keep a distance rite? 1 eg. was she came into my room, while i was napping, to clean the room. Told her to clean somewhere else and she says ok ok. A min. later she was still there cleaning, so told her to go out and she replied 'sebantar lagi'. I was really angry so I told shouted at her to go out immed. (i was in my late preg at that time, so blow out quite easily).

anyway, long story short, we found out from my MIL & SIL maids that she has actually been prostituting herself all these while. Have old spots and old customers. She told them about it herself and was v proud of it too. She would go out to meet clients when she knows we'll be out long.
The maids only told us after 8mths of her being with us cos we confiscated her phone and no more off days. She told them she's v angry and would harm me and baby if she can't get her hp soon.

so, sent the maid home with air ticket immed.

2nd transfer maid, came in soon but was very slow and couldn't cope with the housework, baby and dogs. v forgetful person too wit taps running (didn't close properly) and milk powder lid opened for long period, etc. Brought her to agency 1day when she cried when I asked her why didn't she tell me she's is fasting when she had told me b4 she's not fasting as she's not strong. At the agency,they allowed her to call home cos she misses home. After the call, she says she wants to change employer cos she's afraid of my dogs. this is only after 1 mth of workng for us.

now waiting for another transfer maid coming in this fri. hope this would be good and final. have been doing without a maid for about 3 wks and its really tiring esp with baby crawling all over the pl and have separation anxiety when we're not sitting beside her. Also that we've spent quite some $ for the maid insurance, ticket, agency fee, etc

wish me luck!

hi chergamine,

u seems to be the travel consultant for us huh! :)

i'm going bali in mid oct for 10 days, visiting relatives and take a much needed break.

so, put the 2 tins of milk powder, maybe 5 boxes of cereal, baby biscuits, diaper, etc all in 1 bag for check in and declare?

will hand carry my own hot water (maybe 2 big thermos), some milk powder and cereal and baby biscuit. hope everything will pass. Now i envy those who breastfeed hahah

halo all mummies

being MIA for sometimes, so happy that the thread is still so active.

My son turning 13 mths on 4 Oct & i'm still bfeeding my son. My son had false measles (not sure if it's right spelling)recently & was on persistent fever for 7 days 38.7 - 39.3 degree. Doc initially didn't know abt it & was sent for blood test to see if it is dengue. Luckily it was not. I was so worried sick as he rejected all solid. My poor boy lost 0.5kg within a week when he was only 9kg at 1 yr. During this time, my boobs is his consolation & i am so glad that I still bfeeding him, which i thought of weaning at 6mths. He finds comfort in latching on & i find that its much easier when he wakes up at night crying, i just present my boobs, hehehe... rather than having to carry him & pat him to sleep.

My mum is persuading me to wean him off soon as he is v addictive, will wake up suckling for comfort a few times & she said it is harder to wean off when he is older. She also stopped bfeeding me at 13mths & said that look at you, 13 mths already enuff, u seldom fall sick which is quite true. I not sure if I shd continue longer or not, one thing i wanna my freedom but on the other hand, wants the best thing for him... sigh.

My son is v sticky to me, will always look for me when sleeping & will play w his dad, my mum & my sis. He sure knows who is his playmate. It's so difficult to get out of house, go everywhere also needs to bring him along. My mum & friends all say he is v sticky, I said no choice lor cos i am his sole care giver.

Hi mummies,

Have been MIA for a few days because I took leave and went back to Malaysia and 24x7 looking after my son. So tiring and don't have time to log in. I really hats off to those SAHM. I think I cannot be SAHM 24x7.

Re: breastfeeding
As you know I was back to Malaysia, so my mum kept telling all my relatives that I am still breastfeeding and my son already 10 months old. Then my aunties will say wah until now you still got so much milk. As usual breastfeeding is very alien to them, whatever comments they make, I just keep quite and smile.

baby doll,
I think my mum will be expecting me to wean off when my son turn 12 months. But I want to breastfeed still. At least your mum breastfeed you till 13th months, my mum did not. Because she believe breastmilk is not as good as formula milk.

re: travelling

So far I only travel to Malaysia with baby. Have not travel far. It is so torublesome, so many stuffs to bring loh, while me only 1 small luggage bag only.

Hi all mommies,

I am new here. I am a FTWM and on TBF as well to my son of coming 11 mths now. Need some advise from mommies here. My son doesn't like to feed from a botle and would prefer direct latch on my breast. My milk supply has been decreasing little by little now, and is afraid that if my son dislikes to drink from the bottle, then next time when i got no more milk, then how uh? My mom said he is a funny boy, who doesnt know how to "enjoy" and sleep on the bed and drink from the bottle. My mom has to feed him some cereal and feed him drink his milk from bottle in his walker...any mommies in same situation as me?

hi kelly, I would say your son is very smart, he wants to get the freshest milk straight from mummy.
happy.gif
And when you say decreasing supply, do you mean from the amount you can pump out?

Hi sleek,

Haha...probably he likes fresh from the tap. Actually i did ask 2 pediatricians before, they said that some breastfed babies are more fussy. So, my son prb belongs to this catergory. Yup, my decreasing supply is the amt tat i can pump out, last time i tink i was a cow, i can milk approx. 8 glass bottles(fm hospital kind) per day. But now, can only pump out 2 bottles...haiz....can i chk with all mommies can feed babies with yogurt, as in the normal yogurt kind from supermkts or is there a kind specially for babies?

Baby_doll,

*wave* still remember me? Same as u, my boy is still comfort latching many times at night. I really hope to stop that. I don't really mind nursing him for the usual meals, but comfort latching multiple times at night is really tiring.

also, he doesn't have a good appetite for solids, i wonder if its because of too much latching in the night.

Another question, will baby feel tired in the day if he keep comfort latching at night?

Kelly,

they are a few types of yogurts for babies, etc Yoplaits. should be able to find them at most supermarkets.

kelly, IMHO there are many FM-fed babies who are also fussy, just cos your son is more discerning about the freshness of his milk doesn't mean he is fussy
happy.gif
It's natural for our milk supply to decrease as our children grow older since they are eating more and more solids right? Cos I tried pumping 1x recently and got less than 10ml, but my boy has no complaints since we always direct latch.

re yogurt: I prefer to make my own because many of the yogurts in the supermarkets are either low/no fat or full of sugar. Read before that babies need full-fat yogurt.

Hi Jang,

Oh i have seen them in supermkts. Those like small little tubs that come in pack of 6 or something right? That kind ok for babies? Ok, will buy and try out for my ds...tks Jang.. :0)

Hi Sleek,
Probably you are right....but i do get quite sad at times, when i see, aiyoh..so little milk now..haha....i do direct lacth on my son and sometimes tinking dun knw if it will be enuff for him...but since he doesnt cry, so shld be ok, right. Wow, u make your own yogurt? Can share how to make your own yogurt? Is it alot of work done? I also feel like making if it is not too difficult...heehee

kelly, dont be sad la, you're FTWM and can nurse till 11mo is great sia, just need to stay positive and have confidence in yourself. You will have enough milk
happy.gif

I bought a yogurt maker, so it's quite easy. Just need to warm the milk up to about 80-90 degree (not boil) then let it cool down and add the plain full-fat yogurt (can use yogurt powder too) as a starter, then pop it into the containers and leave it in the yogurt maker for 6-12hours.

some more info can be found, http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/5/1206790.html?1212976792#POST4870540

Hey sleek,

Tks for sharing the info! It really helps. The yogurt machine really easy to use uh...just add yogurt and milk into each individuall small bottle and leave in fridge and voila!! Wow...so interesting...Wonder can use breast milk to make or not uh? heehee

wow you mummies make your own yogurt, so healthy, very good. My son don't really like to eat yogurt, bought the baby yoplaits for him, 1/4 also cannot finish, ended up I finish the whole tub. So i stopped buying already.

You can try meiji children yogurt piggy. I give my babe that and she takes it immediately.
Anyway,time flies, babe turning 1 next weekend!

Hahaha...me sotong ....thought can put in the fridge...so interesting the link that you provide. Didnt know breastmilk still can make popsicles? So cute....but can meh, i mean bb can take the cold popsicles? wonder where to get those small popsicle mould, Target is avail in Oz right? This is so much easier....jus freeze and it is ready!! haha.... Tks sleek!! Btw, any mommies tried bm popsicles before?

you do have to put it in the fridge like normal yogurt after it has fermented in the maker for 6-12hours
happy.gif
I gave my boy those frozen bm to suck before when I used to pump, he seems to like it, though he will make a funny face cos it's cold. you can just use a normal ice-cube tray to freeze small amounts of bm, no need to specially buy the popsicle mould and the size is just nice for their mouths.

Hey sleek, normally can leave in the fridge for how many days before it expires? Wouldnt it be too cold and "slippery" for your ds when he hold the ice-cube? Thought it will be easier if they have something to hold...i saw can use pacifier also...hmmm...how interesting....will try out this weekend and see how it goes...heehee...

I don't come across the yogurt session in the supermkt that did really indicate that yogurt for babies leh....even the yoplait ones also never indicate in the packaging...so where do find eh?

hi kelly,

baby yoplaits does indicate for infant below 1 yrs old. It only come in 4 tubs with 2 flavours only. Vanilla and banana. For toddler, it comes in smaller tubs with a few flavours like strawberry and etc...

Hi piggydamien,

hmmm....i shall visit NTUC again...cos i couldnt find the indication when i saw the yoplait yogurts? Shall visit NTUC and search again....tks for sharing the info.

wow more new frens and so many posts but b4 i catch up on the thread pls lend me a listening ear i need a channel to vent it out:

Mummies!!! I'm back!!!!

went 6 days perth road trip, jus touched dn last nite - phew! i'm so glad to be back.

it was a TORTOROUS trip: cut story short (i'll try)
2 days b4 flying off, bb got really bad flu virus, he actually jus recovered a week earlier and genna agn. doc suspect it could be middle ear infection and tell me if he develops high fever in perth MUST go to the hospital (he says better hospital and not those small town clinics)

so fingers crossed. no fever, but feverish the 3rd last day.

THROUGHOUT the car trip, 99.9% bb's fussing, struggling, crying... and u know the roads in AU, long long road ahead b4 u reach the next destination, plus i'm travelling w others, got itinerary to follow, can't say stop by the roadside then stop rite? anyway stop in the wilderness also no use.

so hang on.

WATER - the heater got real prob, u know those shower heads, it splashes so high from above so i'm always all wet when bathing him. but tat's fine. what's NOT fine is, it suddenly turns SCOTCHING HOT then the next moment freezing cold.

poor bb.

bb's nursing a flu throughout the trip, diarrhoea - and tis is really bad. cos road trip diarrhoea how??!? stop at petrol station can only used wet wipes and splash COLD water from public toilets.

food - u might have expected - sick where got mood to eat. dunno how much weight he'd lost.

tour w children will never be the same agn.

tension betw me and hubby cos of all above. i mean, no sleep leh - take care sick child in a foreign land, on the road, drive for hrs also so tired. bb cry cry cry till vomit 4 times, got to wash up agn.

it's tormenting for child and adult.

i'm jus so glad to be home. but back to reality. tons of clothes to wash, but more imptly, need to nurse bb's health back. early morn went market buy him the freshiest veg and fish. double boil for him but he only ate a few mouthful. apetite's so poor. now sleeping. gotta wash the dishes. suddenly i seriously contemplate to get domestic helper. i used to tink 1 child only i can manage as sahm. but sigh... it's tearing me apart. i'm so useless.

any1 has good part time maid to intro? those come once week one. or as and when i need help kind. staying at admiralty.

the PRO sides (mus at least list a few rite?). ok well, perth's got beautiful scenery lor. farm stay has breathtaking view but bb's sickest then so he din get to 'interact' w the animals then. and papa mummy stay indoor tk care of him lor...

everybody's asking when am i planning for a 2nd one as bb's 14 mths, well, maybe... never. i'm too incapable. felt i fail as a wife, a mummy. sigh. sob sob.

got to go clean the hse b4 he wakes up, bye mummies. i'll be strong.

sorry for the long post, tks for reading
sad.gif
happy.gif

sorry more to share.

in case u tot it's a poorly planned trip. NNOOOO!!! i started packing 1mth b4, brought bb to the pd 2 weeks b4 for general health check to ensure all's fine.

trained him in below at least a mth ahead:

sit on car seat - tis came useful but cos he's unwell so not really useful well he's uncomfortable demands to be carried. it reaches a pt where it's a fine line betw enforcing discipline and giving tlc. cos once i carried him (tat's after he cried till puke) all the rest of journey he demands to be carried...

trained him to eat in high chair (i bought a portable high chair esp for this trip) - it helps but well, he'd got no apetite so high chair can't hold him for long too when he's not eating.

train him not to move (too much) during diaper changin...

no amt of homework is sufficient it seems... sigh sigh sigh...when a child's unwell esp.

on the road of cos no steam steriliser to use (i mean wash the bottles), the water is yellow despite boiled.

and cos he's been FORCED down medicine all the time he's sooo trumatised. put in milk he ends up not even taking his milk. cut down solids, cut down milk. see me bring the shringe, med spoon he got all so fearful. tear my heart really. it got so trumatising for him till i put a stop towards the end and say TAT"S IT. no more med. let him build his own immunity bah... and indeed he is happier thereafter.

so now thou nursing a cold and cough still i hesitate bringing him to the doc. enuff's enuff. guess jus a bit runny nose can let him recover on his own back. fingers crossed. will keep close monitor.

and oh, did i mention his whole face's peeling. weather;s super dry there.

gosh, wat have i done to my darling i asked myself. shd have brought him to cruise instead. i'm sure it'll be easier.

and as if to make it worse. coming back - my bb moisturizer and dethol hand sanitiser that i bot for him got dumped at the custom. really curse and swear. i told the custom officer off 'tat's not being bb friendly at all cos these are bb essential!!!!' then walk off. i was damm super pissed then. i know it's not the custom officer's fault but whoever set the 100ml rule is xyz@@##$%^%

gretel, salute to u for daringly bring ur baby to such a farrrrrrrrrrrrrr away land... haha.

I'd decided to put off the plan of going langkawi (only langkawi) this dec holiday and shall juz venture to sentosa, hahahaha... guess my eldest son will be the most disappointed.

hey gretel, when I had problems with my old maid, I gay-kiang told my husband let's return the maid to agency n in meantime I'll do housework on my own (while takng care of a 10 mth baby).

oh boy the 3 wks without a helper was so tiring for me! everytime the baby is up i hope she will sleep more so i can do housework or take a break.

when she finally sleeps, i'm so dog tired, I fell asleep too. n because i'm so tired, i get easily irritated. baby's screaming all the time when i'm not at her side didn't help too

now the new helper has finally arrived. I can finally be sane again.

so good luck in looking for a helper!

Hi Gretel,

Welcome back
happy.gif
My heart reached out for u, I fully u/stand the difficulties of travelling when bb falls sick. It is really not easy. When bb falls sick at home, we mummies already tired out of taking care of him day & night, some more in overseas, even worst.

Hug Hug u, u r doing a great job as a mum, dun blame urself. Sometimes I am in a lousy mood & bb not co-operating, I can't control my temper, will raise voice at him. He nowadays ransack my cupboard & throw everything out... sometime ve no choice but let him do, cos is too busy cleaning or cooking. I also think I'm incompetent & not fit to be a mummy, esp after scolding him & ignoring his cry... But we r doing great. It is REALLY NOT easy to be a SAHM with no helper. Even my friends said so, that' why they r more then willing to let their mil or their own mum to take care of their bb.

I will hang on, think the sacrifices we ve now will benefit them in long term. Not to mention that he makes me SMILE the most, when u see him kissing u back, waving goodbye, Dancing w music & imitating my action.... SO CUTE & HEARTWARMING.

I think it's gd to get a domestic helper. I am having one but she only works at West.

Take good care.

gretel, sorry to hear about your bad experience on holiday cos your darling was sick. sigh like baby_doll says, taking care of them at home in SG is already not easy, least of all when you are overseas and they are sick.

We will be bringing my boy back to perth to visit his paternal grandparents in march/ april 09, so hopefully since he will be almost 2 then, it will be an easier job for us, and pray he wont be sick around that time.

Sue,

haha i was telling myself next time if not cruise then sentosa is good enuff too!! hahah. i'm not sure abt langkawi but my fren brought her bb to bali and loves the place so much planning her next trip. i've read in other threads other mummies have little prob so mayb mine's a more extreme case cos bb's sick and it's a road trip so less amenities and comfort...

Jaime,
you're rite man - SANITY is the word!!!! i almost lost my sanity n it seems so frequent and easy to lose my sanity these days i wish bb continue to sleep and hates it when i'm mopping the floor half way he wakes up or hanging clothes half way u know... many times i tell myself DUN FOCUS ON THE WRONG THINGS hsework can put aside take things slowly but agn it's so contradicting we want a safe and clean haven for our darlings rite and w no domestic helper who but me to clean the hse. i mean, i've a fantastic super understnading hb who does hsework but surely no help seems enuff.. i dunno why. it's jus NEVERENDING list of chores to do. and yeap, lose temper on bb so many times esp when he spits out and AGAIN, mess ALLLLLL over...i've no idea where he picks up the habit of 'rinsing his mouth' from his tumbler like a merlion. change change and change, wash wash and wash.

i constantly tell myself it's an exploration stage so bear w it and be happy w the process but agn, many times i jus feel i'm losing my sanity. feel so fragile and incompetent.... k, shall not go on and affect everyone's mood.

baby_doll,
yap, despite scoldign, raising voice at him, even beating him (palm), he'll still look for me whenever he wants to sleep. hmmm, jus now he's half asleep and still stretches out his hand to pat pat me. he always does tat. as if to 'spot check' i'm still besides him, he'll also lend over and pluck kisses to me heee oh so cute. really heartwarming n never fails to brings a smile on my face thinking of his tenderly loving ways to me and yap, ONLY to me the MUMMY yeah!
happy.gif

Hi gretal,

Sorry that your baby was sick during the Perth trip. We recently came back from a 2.5 weeks trip to Sydney & Melbourne in Sep08. Well, at the airport b4 we embarked on the trip, we were thinking to ourselves that this was going to be an obstacle course (like the America show in which a couple go on a treasure hunt (is it? can vaguely remember) and end up abusing each other along the way) and I was actually asking myself if we should really do this, coz I expected the trip to be more "xiong" than taking care of baby at home where u have all the facilities (eg. high chair, cooker, pots & pans, etc) in place. Plus our baby is quite hard to feed, always refusing to eat and have to stage a nursery rhyme concert at every meal time to distract her so that she'll eat.

We did road trips to vineyards, beaches and drove all the way from Syd to Mel with a stopover at Canberra. Glad to say that baby only had a runny nose during the first night and we quickly fed her flu med and she's well for the whole trip, except some diarrhea that didn't get better since we were in Spore. So we went to the Sydney Children hosp for consultation. Instead, I fell very sick with flu and fever that lasted 2-4 days. Luckily baby didn't contract the virus from me, otherwise, I think my husband would have cut short the trip and book a flight home for us all already.

For baby's meals, we brought an electric hotplate to cook porridge and at other times, she had cereal and milk. Must say, meals were really reduced to the simplest form for her. Towards the end of the trip, she had milk for most meals coz as usual, it was hard to feed her solids and we kinda gave up "fighting" with bb to get her to open her mouth to feed.

The trip on the whole was quite alright, but we didn't really get to go to more places than we would like to coz of the baby. One thing for sure is, the trip is a bit too long, 16 days. Towards the end, my hubby couldn't wait to go back to Spore coz he was very tired of packing bags and changing hotels every 1-3 days and always on the go. I was glad to be back in Spore too, as I was able to cook some hot porridge with fish and veggie for baby, instead of feeding her cold sushi-like rice ball and cereal all the time. So poor thing, it felt like we had starved her on the trip coz we were always on the go and didn't really have the time to spend 1 hr+ at every meal time to coax her to eat.

O ya, not forgeting, we took the mid-night flight and bb couldn't sleep and cried half the time throughout the 7hrs of flight. We were certainly very distressed by this, esp my husband. Now as we think back, haha! what can I say, guess we won't plan a long trip with a baby under 1 YO again but it was really an experience (good & stressful) for us!

One more point to add, at some times, it did not feel like a holiday. Instead, at times we had hoped the holiday would end sooner. Sad to say.

Hi wee,

tks for sharing,really salute u - 16days leh!!! gosh! how did u make it?!?!!!! bravo! ;p

u're so rite, at some times (in fact MANY times or ALL THE TIMES!) i jus wished the 'holiday' will end.sigh.spend so much time, effort, money to 'torture' ourselves.

anyway, hope you and bb've fully recovered by now?

bb's asleep now and i jus scrubbed the sinks toppers... dunno why i can always find things tat need some washing up. sigh. hb keeps telling me to close 1 eye on housechore n catch a nap while bb's sleeping. but tat's abt the only time i can clean the mess rite?!!! haiz!

it's indeed easier and v convenient to say 'trust others to take care of bb'...infant care/ nannies/ maids/ grandparents whoever. indeed easier to go back to work be financial independent still can go out shopping w colleagues during lunch enjoy the outside world rather than stay home/ hands on on everything stretch hands from hubby for $ or/n eat on savings.

but 1 thing for sure i know, despite all the hard work i'll still choose the same route and be a really hands on mummy at least for bb's formative yrs.

tribute to all the sahm/ hands on (need not be totally sahm but hands on) mummies!!!!!

toast to everyone here haha.

gotta cook dinner now bye!
happy.gif

oh, keep laughin at your 'stage a nursary rhyme concert' at every meals. haha.

ya, me too, constantly felt so bad for not providing 'the best' food wise. felt i ill-treated him.

but ok one thing to share tat i'd read - no matter how demanding/hay-wired u tink a hols is to the child or the parents, it is actually beneficial for the child cos they get more exposure. u may tink they won't know but actually the sight(esp), touch, feel (weather) etc all the senses get stimualted. so bbs will get smarter, hee ;p

hi gretel,

when I didn't have the maid, and hv a screaming crying baby whenever i'm not at her side, I had to put down the housework and go to her. Tried leaving her in her cot and let her cry scream but too soft hearted and i was afraid she might climb out of the cot/playpen (in bedrooms) and hurt herself.

in the end, we thought of getting a play yard and put in the living room, so she can see me sweeping the rooms or cleaning her bottles in the kitchen.

glad to say it works. she stayed in the play yard and played with her toys while watching me sweep the floor and i'm not afraid she'll get hurt. hehe but sometimes she'll still protest if she can't see me (eg. when I'm in the toilet).

also, i've to be strong hearted at times to let her just scream or cry while i do stuff...after a while of screaming she actually stops! :)

so good luck!

Hey gretel,

Thanks for the assurance that bb's senses will get stimulated on hols, at least we get comforted for all the "work" done, or rather, ordeal?? haha.. maybe not so bad la..we also enjoyed ourselves while bb slept in the pram and car seat. Just needed some getting used to and 16 days was definitely enuff time for us to get used to having hols wif bb.

regarding spending so much time, $, effort on the hols to "torture" ourselves, haha, I shared the same tots.

Yeah, regding getting others to help take care of bb and go back to work and stop asking for handouts from hubby / use savings, that is something that is on my mind everyday, yup, I ponder over it at least once everyday. But really want to enjoy bb during the yrs that she needs me more, so up to now, still cannot convince myself to go back to work.

jia yu all SAHMs for persevering!

Hi Mommies,

Anyone has good maid agency to reccomend?? May be planning for bb2 next yr so scouting for good maid agency to reccommend and would nd to some financial planning and calculation to see can afford or not aso...heehee...but i do salute all sahm....i dun hv the courage to be sahm and is constantly pondering if i shld do it...haiz...

gretel,

i fully agree with u, there's seems to have unlimited chores to complete... i just choose the most important one to do 1st, like washing clothing is a must but folding them is not... hahaha, so u see my washed clothes are piled on the sofa until my elder 2 come tell me no more shorts/panties then i pointed there, go find urself...
as of mopping, i'd switched to the 3M mop ever since pregnant last yr. vacuum will disturb bb sleep, so 3M mop is a good alternative as it can trap the dust and hair and mop at the same time. not thoroughly clean though but good for everyday/alternate day clean for the sake of crawling baby.
after being a weekend mum for my eldest and WM with my 2nd, think SAHM is still my choice though really so auntie everyday. can't think of any reason to be back to workforce and i think will not for a long while... not till bb is in primary... by then i too old liao...

hi gretel,

So sorry to hear about your Perth Trip. This is what most parents nighmare. How is your boy? Hope he is better already. It is not easy being a SAHM. So very tiring leh, for me Sat and Sun I am like a SAHM like that. Feel like I have no rest also.

Aiyoh felt scared after reading your story. I actually wanna plan to go Melbourne last Aug 08 when my son was about 9 months old but my mum stopped me. She said baby will get sick cos its a foreign land, food and water not hygine. But this Sat we are going for a 2D 1 Nite trip to Bintan. This is the 1st time we are going on a trip with baby now 11 months old. It is also to celebrate our 4th year ROM anniversary. We didn't tell my mum about this Bintan trip because she will not allow me to bring my son along.

hi wee,

wow you went for a 2.5 weeks trip to Australia as well. You know travelling with baby the most troublesome is luggage. Even me going back to Malaysia only like shift house like tat. I cannot imagine go holiday how leh.

piggydamien,
i'm also going to Bintan this weekend too, from fri to sun.....my girl is ard 10.5 mths
happy.gif
....where wld u be staying?
happy.gif

hi serena,

so coincident. I am staying at Nirwana Resort Hotel. Will you be bringing all your barang barang? Eg steriliser. How would you feed her porridge?

Back