(2007/09) September 2007 MTBs

hi mummies,

sigh...You know that I am a SAHM right? well, i cook when I can for my hubby and FIL who's staying with us. Nowadays, I don't cook cos Sarah's been clingy. And becos of that, my FIL got her a walker. Alamak tot don't want to get for sarah... and then he said... "hmmm..now mummy can cook..with baby in the walker..." there goes my excuse.

justme, u so funny la! ur fil sure loves ur cooking sia!

bena, me coming! hb gave green light! but he is not coming....just me and bb. but u offline le. how? anyone can help? email me? [email protected]

Hi Ben Mum..
I will inform Bena via sms...
happy.gif

wah you mummies must enjoy tmr, then post the pixs for us to envy... 'Sigh'. Wish i could join in but already got appt cant cancel.

BTW, any mummies has tried tumble tots gymbabes trial class? im going this sunday at the bt timah branch. hope my gal will enjoy.

thks mummies! i felt better now. luckily nynke let me carry her n pat her to sleep. imagine i had to bring her to my room n switch on the music to have 'twosome' time...sigh...my own house but no freedom at all...

abt puree..think i will do fresh ones daily..looks like the freezer ones will give me some problem. will try pumpkin next week
happy.gif

bena, looks like u're place will be crowded..too bad i cannot go. btw, we can arrange to meet again on wkdays? i drive so can always pop over easily.

re: car seat
yes, shd only be placed at back, not front. such things dun play play. insurance may not cover if anything happen..touch wood.

thanks emily. =D
I not drinking the soup cos i no loner bf. just go there chit chat chi chat. =D

amy, u can bring her to ur room to have 2some. v good. i know of 1 mother who cant even do that. her mil just 'ba zhan' the son whole weekend. and the mother sends the bb to nanny on weekdays overnight too. so she cant even have weekends with her son. so sad....

amy: yah me too.. i ve to retreat myself +baby to my own master bedroom to have some time together..during mon&tue night while my MIL watches tv in the living room.. :|

Ben Mum,
Got the sms from Emily liao. Hooray you can come!!
happy.gif
Not breast feeding also can drink soup wat.. but maybe hor the hubbies cannot drink lah.. cuz won't be enough for them with my small slow cooker...hahaha..You know I wonder if it's because of the papaya soup that Zac has big neh neh.. ?

Amy,
You drive so why come my place?! You pick me up we go somewhere more happening on weekdays lah
happy.gif
You stay in AMK rite?

Amy, ecookie,

At least you can stay in the room with your bb, my MIL will just barge into my room and carry my girl away from me :S

During weekend when we are at home (lucky weekday she is being taken care of by my mum), whenever my girl is awake, she is being carried!!!

Mummies gg for soup tmr, enjoy and have fun! Would love to join, but anticipating my gal to have a fever as well, since she juz had her jab today and is burning slightly now.

Bena,
I love Brownies!
sad.gif

bena, angel, blueskye, phoebe,

ahahha.. she started to drink 4 times a day when she's abt 3 mths plus..
happy.gif
and though i started her on 240mls, she only drank well for the first week aft the increase.. now she dun even wan to drink lor..
sad.gif
think she's goin thru the seperation anxiety and milk strike!!! last time she can jus fall asleep on her own.. but these few nites i have to carry and pat her to sleep.. if now she will be cryin very pitifully till i come and carry her... hiaz.. very tirin leh... then last nite she refuse to sleep till 2am again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hiaz.. today she drank only 3 times.. but she didnt really finished all lah.. then wit 1 bowl of cereal... so hopefully this clingy-ness and milk strike will pass soon...
haha..

i was quite bad lah... wanted to jus leave her there to cry to sleep... cos i'm very scare tat faith will make it a habit for me to carry and pat her to sleep... so i dunno wat to do liao lah...

Mommies,
Re car seat, yah the air bag might kill the baby if its released. So must put in back seat or deactivate the air bag in the front passenger seat if you travel alone with the baby.

Actually Jade has learnt from young that she has to stay put in the car seat until the engine is off! I always hear of fatal accidents where children and babies die or get seriously injured coz they weren't buckled in their carseats. So I am very strict abt her being in the car seat at all times when we're driving. If we take them out when they scream, they will learn that mummy will pick them out of the car seat when they scream. And they will do just that once they're bored! I know it sounds cruel but you may save your baby's life by instilling the habit of sitting in their carseat. Just let them cry/scream/kick but keep talking to them to soothe them to assure them you're there. They will cry louder and louder but when they realise you're not going to pick them up, they will stop crying. For Jade, she cried abt 10 mins, it seemed like an hour! But after that time, now she guai guai sits in her carseat and doesn't fuss anymore! *phew*

Justme,
Re walker, actually I was also hesitant in getting Jade a walker initially. But I read from the "What to expect in the first year" book that walkers are really ok as long as you limit the use of them. Of course if we leave them in the walker the whole day and don't stimulate our babies and encourage other physical activities to develop their muscles, their development will be hindered. But they say its perfectly ok to let the baby sit in there for 15 mins at a time while you get some housework chores done or prepare your meal. And once the baby shows interest in walking, we shouldn't let them use the walker anymore.

Angel and JustMe: I think it's quite dangerous to leave a baby in a walker while you do chores or prepare meals. In 1997, walker-related accidents in the US led to 14,000 emergency room visits for babies. See this article for more info - 46q2%2C00.html,http://parenting.ivillage.com/baby/bsafety/0,,46q2,00.html

A safer alternative might be an exersaucer?

Carseat: When I first started bringing baby out in the car, she fussed and fussed and fussed. Very stressful especially in rush-hour traffic. But one of the July mummies found a CD with children's songs on it, and there is a particular track which my baby loves. It never fails to calm her down; she listens to the track and she forgets to fuss. A few July mummies have found that playing music in the car works wonders - there's no magic CD! You just have to experiment with your baby to see what she/he likes. For mine, certain tracks cause her to fuss again. She also doesn't like listening to the radio. No more 98.7FM for me!

yolk sac, angel,
thanks for the advice on walkers.
I know its unsafe to leave bb unattended in whichever gadget or device. That's what old people don't understand. When I told my FIL, that sarah will be quiet only when someone is around her, he always rebut and said "see, she's quiet what....".

Oh well, as of today, I have made my stand. I chose to be a SAHM to care and see to the needs of my baby. previously, I Used to place her in play pen or rocker interchangebly and rushed through as much housework as i can. Felt like a maid! Today, I just cook a simple dish, left the dishes undone and house in a mess and laundry unhung. These aside, I manage to enjoy time with sarah. So happy! haha.. luckily hubby understands ~ he helped me clear the housechores after his dinner.

oh... haha...yolk sac, regarding CD tracks, my girl seems to enjoy listening to all my favourite CDs. haha... she'll be very quiet when I play them on the laptop.

pinkyjac,
Same .. ryann also milk strike.... drink 40ml then start screaming like i feeding him poison. he will keep hyper-extending his back .. lets pray this milk strike thingy will stop soon..

JustMe: Good for you for making a decision to put Sarah first! And your hb is wonderful for being so understanding, good on him!
happy.gif
And you're really lucky she likes your music - I miss listening to my Ipod tracks in the car sometimes.

mummies using huggies dry,
i brought the wrong size for ryann didnt expect their M size so small. any one wanna buy over?
its jumbo pack 82 pcs, i brought it at $18.20. not sure abt the price outside thou. i think i only use 1 pcs.

phoebe, pinkj, my boi aso hyper-extend his back nowadays when he drinks but he still sucking leh. he will use his hands to pull out your hand holding the bottle but he is still sucking. this not milk strike rite? just weird. LOL. duno what he wants. so tough to feed him now. used to guai guai lie in my arms and drink. now must wriggle and wriggle until almost fall off lap! MIL cannot tahan. say dunno how to feed him liao! LOL

mummies going to bena's today, anyone wans to buy over a new pack of petpet (M)? bought it 3 weeks ago, thinking MIL will use at her place. instead she used nappies. let me know and i can bring it over. =D

yolksac, justme,
I agree...I feel that whether baby is in a walker or not, we should never leave the baby unattended. I always make sure Jade is in full view and keep a close watch to see what she's up to when she's in the walker. Her hands reach out for everything! If I do need to leave her unattended for just a while (like to make her milk or go to the toilet), I leave her in a safe place like her exersaucer, playpen or cot. Yes there are many accidents in the US related to walkers - because parents leave the babies unattended, and majority of them are babies falling off the stairs, which in apts we don't really face that problem but still, leaving babies unattended is a risky thing to do. Like the silly mother who put her baby on the bumbo seat on her kitchen counter top and her baby wiggled out of it and fell off! And she wants to sue the company!?

RE CDs,
Agree playing familiar songs keeps them occupied in the car. We always play Jade's CDs over and over again coz she starts to fuss when I listen to the radio. My hubby and I listen to the CDs until we know what song is coming up next!

myra feeds is hovering from 4 feeds to 3 feeds a day. on thursday she feeds at 7am, 12nn and 5pm, on friday she feeds at 6am, 2pm & 10pm, she takes an average of 150 to 220ml. i am wondering if i should start her on her cereal. i know the best is to wait until bb turn 6 months, but her 3 feeds a day is worrying me! she is turning 5 months in 4 days, still a whole month before the suggested intro solids at 6 months!

Hi Mummies,

Bena i wont be able to make it for the soup gathering today will give it a miss
sad.gif
So sorry. Hubby's working. Haven't got the time to login these days been fully occupied by all the household chores.. gosh ! Mummies & Babies have fun and take more photos !!

bena, u v funny leh. shd not be la. anyway, urs is bf one. even if have big neh neh aso wont be long one. =D they slim down v fast de. now his neh neh already reduce liao *recall from last photo) lol. v fast rite? =D

HEy ladies any one of you not bringing bb for the Pneumococal jab?

Care to share reasons why?

I'm still in a dilemma to continue though my bb has gone for the first dose.

justme, yes, u r right! I felt same way too..like a maid! and that's so wrong ! sah to be with baby not doing all thsoe stuff, cook , housekeeping etc. that's why i'm so unhappy with PIL I guess. MIL 'ba zhan' baby and i do all thsoe stuff..so wrong hor..
tequilapop, my mil also comes in 'unannounced' and bring baby out when baby cries. hb said lock the door..how to?? will sure offend mil right?

atinarin, i gave the jab cos elder one in childcare, bring back lots of germs..plus, had an experience with elder one having pneumonia b4 when she's around 3 yrs old. though jap is not '100%' vac against all types of stuff, but to me, better than nothing. had a scare once is enough.

bena, ya hor..we can go gai gai together. set, when and where ah..but i have to say 1st, me not vvv street wise' leh..dun know how to go many places..need a good 'navigator'

amy: i have fears of over vaccinating...good point u made but after reading about Prevnar online, got scared

anyone NOT going for it?

Hi atinarin,
Re Pneumococcal virus, its a major cause of life threatening illnesses, and the viruses are so strong that they are becoming more and more resistant to antibiotics that treating it becomes difficult and so prevention by immunisation is so important. I read an article at my PD's clinic...and remember something like 20% of individuals who get the virus die, and 50% of those who don't die are left with permanent disabilities like deafness, paralysis, brain damage, etc. YES ITS THAT SERIOUS! The symptoms of this deadly virus is very similar to common flu and colds, hence its often misdiagnosed. The UK now has Pneumococcal vaccine as part of the routine childhood immunization programme since 2006. Spore is looking into adding this as a compulsory vaccination for babies too but it will take some time for that to happen, so in the meantime they advise all babies to be immunised.

To me, I don't see any reason why not to do it lor. Cannot go wrong one!

ben mum: my boy is also like this, last time will just suck milk furiously n ignore surroundings then these few days start to push away bottle from his mouth though still sucking away.. and squirm n wiggle till fallin out of my lap.. dun know what he wants.. hmm.

madlynette: think u can start letting myra try some rice cereal when she in her 6th mth just to let her get accustomed to different food taste + texture.. so by 6 mths old, she ll be more ready to accept solids.

tequilapop: cant u tell ur hubby abt this n let him do the talking to his mum..
ur MIL abit guo fen leh, i feel.. baby is YOUR baby leh! and its ur house + bedroom how can barge in like that!?

WHY NVIC OPPOSES A PNEUMOCOCCAL VACCINE MANDATE:

· Flawed Clinical Trials Did Not Prove Safety:

Wyeth Lederle and Kaiser Permanente compared one experimental vaccine (pneumococcal) against another (meningococcal)1, which seriously compromised the scientific validity of the trial. Children in groups who got the pneumococcal vaccine suffered more seizures, irritability, high fevers and other reactions. There were 12 deaths in the Prevnar group, including 5 Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) deaths. [Since the vaccine was licensed in 2000, there have been 3,243 Prevnar-related adverse events reported to the federal government (VAERS), including 476 serious events and 79 deaths.]3

· No Long Term Studies:
There were no long term studies to evaluate whether Prevnar vaccine given alone or in combination with other vaccines is associated with chronic illness or disability, such as the development of diabetes, asthma, seizure disorders, learning disabilities, ADHD, or autism.

· Vaccine Components Not Thoroughly Evaluated:

Each 0.5ml dose of Prevnar contains 0.125 mg. of aluminum, a metal that is neurotoxic. The vaccine manufacturer states that "Prevnar has not been evaluated for any carcinogenic or mutagenic potential, or impairment of fertility." 4,1

· Efficacy Low For Preventing Ear Infections:

Despite the suggestion by the manufacturer and Kaiser Pemanente officials in pre-licensure press releases that Prevnar vaccine is an ear infection vaccine, the vaccine has never been licensed by the FDA to prevent ear infections. Clinical trials showed that the vaccine decreases a child's chance of getting an ear infection by only 7 percent.5, 6

· Prevnar May Interfere With Efficacy of Other Vaccines: The manufacturer product insert indicates that when Prevnar is given at the same time as HIB, pertussis and polio vaccines, it may lower the efficacy of those vaccines for some children. There is no data on what happens when Prevnar vaccine is given in combination with MMR or chicken pox vaccines.1

· Voluntary Use of the Vaccine Is High: Wyeth

Lederle, the CDC and AAP have done an excellent job promoting the mass use of this vaccine by children. Prevnar topped the sales charts as the number one best selling new pharmaceutical among all pharmaceuticals brought on the market in the year 2000, generating $461 million in sales.7 Voluntary uptake of the vaccine is so high that there are Prevnar vaccine shortages and the CDC recently temporarily revised its recommendations to urge that only high risk groups of children should receive all four doses of the vaccine.2 This experience shows that mandates are not needed.

Wyeth whistleblower Mark Livingston describes problems at Prevnar vaccine plant
READ ABOUT PROBLEMS AT VACCINE PLANT

Mark Livingston is a former employee of Wyeth, turned whistleblower after complaints of manufacturing problems with Prevnar vaccine were not addressed by management. Below is the speech he gave at a December 20 ceremony, at which he
was given the Joe A. Callaway Award for Civic Courage.

Livingston asks that this speech be forwarded to as many people as possible. Hopefully public pressure will demand accountability and result in improved vaccine manufacturing quality. - NEH
_________

Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for being here tonight. I believe we are here to recognize not only Dr. Graham and myself, but all individuals who summon the faith and courage to challenge unethical and unlawful practices. I want to share with you the story regarding my attempt to
change the dysfunctional regulatory compliance culture of a pharmaceutical manufacturing plant in the years 2000-2002. - I was hired in 2000 by Wyeth Pharmaceuticals to help in the ntroduction of Prevnar, a new vaccine designed to fight
pneumoccocal pneumonia and meningitis in babies.

The North Carolina facility where I worked is the sole production site for this pediatric vaccine which is taken in a four-dose regimen by every infant in the United States at 2, 4, 6, and
12 months. One of my key responsibilities was to assure compliant manufacturing through quality training and continuous improvement systems.

- Within weeks of hire, I was approached by numerous employees with regulatory compliance and safety concerns.
My own investigation revealed chronic under-staffing at this 24x7 operation as well as shortcuts within basic quality control and training processes.

- As Wyeth attempted to meet the rapidly growing demand for Prevnar and to meet mandates of a FDA consent decree for quality control violations, large numbers of new employees with limited backgrounds in vaccine production were being
hired. Because of the complex nature of biological vaccine manufacturing, basic training for front-line employees took 12 months.

- In reality, I was terminated for my efforts to address and rectify quality compliance failures leading to the adulterated release of vaccine in violation of both FDA consent decree mandates and SEC regulations regarding disclosure. With help from the Government Accountability
Project, I brought suit against Wyeth in federal district court for retaliatory discharge in violation of whistleblower protection provisions of the 2002 Sarbanes-Oxley Act.

As over 1 million doses of the pediatric vaccine Prevnar are distributed and administered each month in the United States alone, even odds of 1 million to 1 that anything significant could happen with a batch of vaccine means that 1 child each month could be harmed by this brew of chemicals - which is manufactured, by the way, with one of the most toxic substances known to human beings.?

Sorry so long winded...those are articles i read online which are making hb and i change our mind about continuing with more doses of Prevnar.

Angel: see why im so confused and scared? Has Jade gone for her first dose or 2 doses already?

I think a little knowledge is a dangerous thing but maybe ignorance is not bliiss in this issue...

I do worry about pneumococus bacteria but im really torn..shes already late for her second dose as it is

atinarin, i didnt give ryann the vaccine but planning when he turn 1 yr old or when my nephew goes to childcare and see the situation.
I guess if this is issue is bothering you so much, why dun you print the article and consult ur PD. i guess PD will be able to give you the best answer or can consult ministry of health.
i believe our spore goverment will do their homework before introducing the vaccine in to spore. Dun stress ok..

atinarin,
My gal had oreadi recieved 3 doses of pneumococcal jabs. Other than the usual fever, nuthin much from what I noticed. She had her 5-in-1 together as well.

atinarin,
now, I am wondering if I should just forego this pnuemo vaccine. I think the chances are dropping, now only 30%.

Seriously, looking at the indicated content of the vaccine, I really wonder if they have a long-term side effect. You know, what if when the babies grew up to suffer other illness due to the buildup of metallic toxins in the body. Argh. Worry worry worry. BEing a parent means suffering from endless worries.

Furthermore, I am still taking care of Sarah full-time and is very mindful of letting other kids near her. Just pray, nothing untowards will happen to her.

Phobe: My GP is pro vaccinations...he admitted himself. He was not too interested in this controversy. I think all PDs are pro vaccines too...including the one at KK.

When i mentioned about MMR causing autism, they also said no.

My girl went for one dose already but hb made a valid point, its still new, since 2000 i think, so if theres anything wrong with it, we wont know yet.

JustME: The content is indeed scary. My girl is not in contact with other kids either but the thing is the pneumococus bacteria is airborne. And apparently good diet and hygiene wont help.

gingerleaf: i think better to spread out the vaccinations instead of doing more than one at a go, just my take on this.

atinarin,
I guess I have to do my own research on this vaccine then before I make an informed decision... time to hit the internet/books again.

i read another forum n a bb who got the prevnar shot still got pneumonia...she had 3 doses...

wah now cant decide...but only in US do i hear this controversy

Aiyo i just watched the VCD from the clinic about pneumococal...seems quite scary...plus they interviewed a mum whose 2yr old got pneumonia...very terrifying experience for any parent.

atinarin, i guess this is normal behavior for a parent, we will have our difficult moments but all we wanted is the best for our child. so dun stress so much, discuss with ur hubby what both of you felt is the best and just go for it. you seems so stress and uncertain now... dun think too much...

hey mummies who went to bena's hse today, post pics leh... i bet i must have miss some fun ...

nowadays hardly able to do house work when i am alone with ryann, must wait till he slp then chop chop do bit by bit ... shower also gt prob

Today, i drag the time for ryann's feeding... if i base on 3 hrly he always cannot finish and only drink 30-40 then start to scream... today drag till he is really hungry abt 4 hrs.. can finish 120ml some times 150 but only 4 feeds leh. end up whole day only take in 580ml.
His last feed is 7.15pm just now and now he slp le.. should i wake him up to feed him??? mummies can share ur opinion?

Amy,

My MIL not only comes in when baby cries, even when I am playing with her in the room, she will just open the door, come in, "snatch" baby from me and walk out of the room!!! At least your hubby asked you to lock the door, mine still want me to leave the door open!!!! Arrgh...

Worst still, my baby doesnt like to be carried by my MIL, but she will just ignore her cries, and even told her "bu yao mummy la, nai nai bao bao"!!!!

ecookie,
No use telling my hubby, he is the one who keep bringing the baby to his mum when I ask him to help take care at times. Sigh..this is not my house, but her house, what can I say...maybe that's why she thinks my room is her room..she's not only barge into my room, she even opened my wardrobe!!!

Sorry, lots of complaints, very frustrating, I totally lost my privacy after birth....

Back